Lost

Something Nice Back Home

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 01, 2008 on ABC

• Pretty great episode, I'll eat my hat

Well, I have to take back my prediction that Danielle was just wounded a few episodes ago. But at the time I thought they couldn't possibly have dispatched such an important recurring character with such little fanfare, so she must just be wounded. Nope, dead and rotting in the ground. Oh well, if there's one thing we've come to expect -- and this episode has made it even clearer -- is that people don't stop being characters on the show just because they're dead. Look at Jack / Claire's father. He's been dead since before episode 1 and he's one of the most recurring of all. And now back in the forefront.

And how did you like the way they spoon fed us Jack's incongruous sickness with that Rose & Bernard exchange while washing down the operating table: "Nobody gets sick here, don't you think it's odd that the day before we're supposed to get rescued.." and so on. I know the writers have to do that from time to time to make some pivotal plot points crystal clear to the casual viewer but that one stuck out as particularly in your face. Usually the task lies with Hurley and he does it more organically.

Interesting point: Jack yells at Kate, "You're not even related to him." Him in this case being Aaron. Does this imply that Jack knows at this point in the future that Aaron is his nephew (ok, half-nephew)? It might.

I think this episode brought out a problem with the flash forward plot device. It's hard to put them in chronological order. For example, the very first flash forward of them all had Jack and Kate meeting at the airport. Was that before or after their engagement? Is Hurley's re-admission into the psych clinic before or after his visit with Sun and her son to visit Jin's grave. And Jack's slide into drug and alcohol abuse, where does that figure in? Maybe it's too early to complain. It will probably get filled in better as time goes on. And one last thing: I was a little disappointed that the smoke monster couldn't do more than bloody the face of just one of the six mercenaries. It appears to be all smoke and no bite.