Lost

Stranger in a Strange Land

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 2007 on ABC

7.6
  • Every Season of Lost so far I have seen has had at least one real dud and this is one for Season 3. And the timing couldn't have been worse!!!!

As if things for Lost wern't bad enough with rapidly declining viewing figures and disparaging fan comments, the writers turn in this added salt to the wound. I'm not sure if it is the worst of the series to date but it is pretty close. Up to now I have always enjoyed Jack flashback episodes and could never agree with fans negative remarks about them. How could you not love episodes like All the Best Cowboys... and Do No Harm from Season 1 or Man of Science, Man of Faith from Season 2. Most fans criticisms are targeted at the flashbacks themselves rather than the island action. I personally enjoy the Jack flashbacks - they are always copelling, emotional and full to the brim with tension and they never harm the momentum of the island action, which Kate flashbacks or Jin and Sun flashbacks tend to do.
    Post-Man of Science, Man of Faith, however, I would agree that his episodes haven't had the same punch as is expected. The Hunting Party fell a little flat come the end, A Tale of Two Cities offered some exciting moments but the scope was limited to a few characters and locations and did harm the dynamic of The Others somewhat. And that brings us to this one which hurts the dynamic of the show. Some people complained about the lack of answers again but that is not something I grumble at. I let the writers tell the story the way they want and hope that they tie up everything come the end. I don't try to hasten all this to happen overnight. Others complained about the flashback itself, which I would agree is the weakest flashback yet. The island action is not that much better, however, as not much happens to carry the episode along. There have been few episodes where my attention has been averted to something else whilst watching. Boring is a harsh word to use but it is the best way to describe what happens. So the writers try to answer some more questions but none of those answers are important enough to really move the plotline along. But as I have said before, I don't mind that too much. After all people should not complain, as the last three episodes have all given us answers, even if they're not the answers we were looking for.
    The thing that is sorely missing from this episode and indeed much of the 3rd season so far is the sense of the adventure that we had in past seasons. As soon as the season began the narrative and visual landscape changed. The Others' true colors had been revealed which harmed the mystery and creepiness of the show and focus on the Hydra station limited the freedom to move the characters from point A to B with an adventure. The show needs to get back the Missions, the treks that was key to teh show's success in the earlier days.
    Seeing characters communicating is good for the character drama, if it is really gripping and compelling but you can have too much of it and this season has seen too much of it so far.
    This is my only complaint but Season 2 started off a little slow too only for it to fire on all cylinders in the second half. I can only imagine that that will be the case with this season and as the ratings improved considerably from here on in that is sure to be the case.
    This would be Lost's lowest point before the revival. From this point on Lost would regroup, reinvent and restore itself to its former glories. But as more fans drifted by the wayside it could have been too late to prove it to the masses!
  • What a pretentious peice of crap!! It had potential but the music at the end was so bogus, I was waiting for Celene Dion to appear.

2.9
    The episode had the smallest original cast ever. Let's get back to the island and see if Hurley will ever lose weight.

Does Jack ever shave? Does his stubble ever grow? Does he smell?

Anyway, the medical view of the operation wound was disgusting as was the "mark". The eposiode plodded along to a silly ending. If they are going back to their "backyards" don't the lost people already know where they are?

Why would Sawyer and Kate beach instead of going back to the camp by water? Let't walk throgh the woods so we can argue and leave the canoe which would be useful behind.

Since when should anyone listen to Sawyer? What a loser besides bein the bigget A-hole on TV.

Oh well might as well keep watching to suffer along with the Castaways. Where's Giiligan when we need him?
  • Slow Pacing and Unanswered Questions make me lose interest!

1.2
    I've been watching Lost since the very first season and I agree with a few of the other posts on this forum...
    Lost has officially lost it for me.

The pacing of most episodes is terribly snail-like. When the previews that air on the telly promise "answers to viewer's questions" we end up getting duped into watching another "snail's crawl" of an episode that still hasn't answered the BIG questions about this show. What is the monster? How did the Polar bears end up on the island? Are Jack, Kate and Sawyer really on another island or did the Others just tell them that to make them feel hopeless? Is the island really some sort of freaky magnetic sink hole? Are they in some sort of alternate universe or what? Why hasn't the black box on the plane brought rescue teams? Who and where are the Dharma gang? And that's only a few of the ??? that I have. There are so many others. And we don't seem to be getting many answers. Though I did sort of like the episode that fills in some blanks about Desmond.

I just cannot bear to sit thru another dragged out episode just to be disappointed when what the previews promises the viewer never comes to fruition. Its getting painful to watch this show.

So I think I am just about done with Lost.
    Stick a fork in me.

Anyone else agree?
  • GREAT!!!

I can't help it. I love it. This episode wuz great, but it wulda been better if the flashbacks tied in more with what wuz happening on the island, even tho it tied in with Isabel askin him if he knew what it meant. But i liked it so i still give it a 10. Everything else was fine. It wuz an overall good episode. I liked how we are starting to see Jack/Juliet. I thought it was nice how he saved her, and reminded Ben about his promise. It was a well written episode. I wonder what's going to happen tonight.
  • Going worse and worse. show is cancelled for me. they'll have to pay people to watch the next episodes

2.4
    Lost is now too far from the main plot, that it has lost its interest.

too many unanswered questions, uninteresting situations, made the mainstream so boring that even if they gave the best answers, it will never be enough to maintain the first interest they gathered in the previous seasons.

But worst of all, since the discovery of a civilization in the next iland, the whole plot has burned out. What was making this show interesting was first of all "the deserted iland" plot. So who ever came up with the idea of "others living in an iland next door", crushed the show worst than the plain in the first episode.

New Characters are a nice try, but they will not save the show. So the best they can do now, is ending the whole think this season, and learn from the mistakes for perhaps much better shows.
  • Just an Update!!!

5.6
    Logic/Details - » Not only this episode appeared in bad time, is a little above average. Again, a episode centered in Jack and make all the sense, he is the only one that still a captive for the others. This also have consequences for Juliet as well, since she was willing to kill Ben in the process. After all, this episode is about filling you with details and time management.

Progress -» If you have time management, then only one thing that happened and what is relevant, the rest is just to fill the 40 minutes.

Emotions/Stimulation/Highlights -» Nothing relevant, most of the Jack Flashbacks are boring and feel forced. There are one or two scenes that you want to see, because you may wanna know Jack and Juliet fate.

Ending - » Nothing to report.

Overall - » The weaker episode of this season and one of the worst episodes ever made in Lost, but still have one or two scenes that you may want to see. Overall, this episode is just a small update.
  • Finaly the mystery of Jacks tatoos are explained i realy enjoyed this episode as it gave us a bit more of an insight into the others

Finaly the mystery of Jacks tatoos are explained i realy enjoyed this episode as it gave us a bit more of an insight into the others and brought back an old face from the second series; Cindy the air-hostess but i found myself asking why Jack couldn't simply ask what they were watching instead of shouting yet again rather than raise yet another question for viewers to ask but i was also interested in "the others" branding, court system, "better life" and who Jacob is and why God loves him so much Jack of course had the best line: "That's what it says, that's not what they mean."
  • Any episode focusing on Jack is great.

Not one of the best, but still a great episode focusing on character development. We learned a little more about Jack, and that is great. This episode was less focused on "the others" and that is great in itself. I'll continue to be along for the ride - this is the best show on TV right now. Maybe a lot of people are getting turned off becuase it seems to much like life - you never get everything that you want and not everything goes the way that you want. The best thing to do is keep watching and see where they take us. Go LOST!!!
  • A Jack-centric episode.

All things considered, I thought that this was a really great episode. I would definitely have to say that I think that this is both the best Jack-centric episode of Lost that they've had so far, and it's definitely also my favorite of all the Jack-centric episodes that the show has ever had at this point in time. I really like how this Jack-centric episode didn't really focus on Jack's relationship with his father since I was getting tired of all the episodes of Lost that dealt with Jack's issues regarding his father. In addition to Jack's story line, I also loved the Kate and Sawyer story line in this episode. In closing, I thought that this was an amazing episode of Lost in every possible way, from the script for the episode to all of the actor's performances, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD set.
  • I can’t help it; I love this show!!

I can’t help it, I love this show!!

While this epi did not live up to the hype, IMO it was very entertaining. I think there could have been more explanation of certain aspects, such as why Achera wasn’t allowed to tattoo Jack. Was it only Jack, or is it anyone who isn’t from Thailand? Is that why she had to keep her job a secret in the first place – to keep Jack from asking? How did everyone know that he got the tattoos? Did she rat him out? Why did they have to beat him. If they were going to give us an explanation, it should have been a much fuller one. It certainly didn’t deserve a full episode, but this was just a little too sketchy.

I was hoping that when they revealed the status of those who had been kidnapped, it would have been in more detail. It’s good to see that Cindy and the children are well cared for, but what has been happening with them? So, what was the point of seeing them walking around barefoot and dirty and wearing raggedy clothes in past episodes? And what were they watching – Jack sleeping? Why? Made no sense whatsoever.

Why oh why did Sawyer let Carl go without finding the location of their homes? Sawyer is a smart guy, so why did he do something so stupid? Is it a calculated risk on Sawyer’s part? Does he think because Carl believes he will get killed if the Others get him, that Carl will find his way to their camp and help them willingly? I hope something like that happens, and not that Sawyer was ignorant to the potential of Carl. Kate couldn’t believe it either that Sawyer let him go. It was nice, though, to see Sawyer’s soft side.

I was sorry to see that Sawyer and Kate are not progressing smoothly in their relationship. Hopefully it’s just a bump in the road. It looks like Juliette and Jack may have a budding relationship.

Isabelle is a great name for the sheriff! Ben’s still the boss though. What’s the purpose of marking someone. The mark is where it can’t be seen! Was she branded? What right did Ben have to get all huffy about Ethan, the surgeon, being killed when Ethan was the one who hung Charlie and kidnapped Claire? And according to Alex when she was helping Claire escape, Claire was going to be killed by them after her baby was born.

As always, looking forward to next week!!
  • Great episode Very adventourous and well worth the watch Stuff can be done to improve the story though.

Jack recalls the time he spent in Bangkok, Thailand, and the interesting people he met while he was there, including a talented tattoo artist and the formidable Sherry.
    Its a great episode, iam being soft though giving it a 10 but i thought it was a very adventourous episode and is on a whole getting really exciting. I dont know who the people on the island with jack are. I really cant wait to find out what happens next. I did not however understand this episode too well. With sherry and the thailand situation and her gift. It was slightly out of character. But as a whole lost is improving and hopefully will continue to get better
  • This was a joke. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not laughing. Worst episode ever!

First of all excuse my English. It's not good. Like every tv series, Lost has it's highlights/classic episodes and week ones, with a lot of good/ok episodes in between.

The thing is, even not so good episodes ("Whatever the Case may be and "Fire + Water" the 2 weakest until this one) had something to say. But "Stranger..." reaches another level. This episode can be resumed in 1 simple word: NOTHING.

That's what we had for an entire hour. A boring episode, with an over exposed character (9 episodes so far, 2 of them Jack-centered). The flashback was no good either. Even Cindy's return along with the children of the tail section was ridiculous. Why Jack like, you know, didn't ask her simple straight questions instead of just yell like an retard That sums it up pretty fine. A lot of talking that added nothing to the plot. I like the mysteries, I don't want all answers at once, nothing like that. I just want something. New mysteries, character development, whatever. But here we have nothing. I'm pretty sure that, who skips this episode won't loose a thing and will keep in track with the plot just fine. In fact, I recommend that.
  • Is not the best episode ever but at least we get a mini-break.

4.8
    Those who have started reading my Lost reviews know by now that the Lost lives we, fans, lead in between episodes can be very thrilling. Always scooping for clues, elaborating new theories.

This episode might not be the best episode even, but knowing that fewer episodes are left before season finale, I, personnaly, am glad that this episode was more storytelling. I could actually enjoy it without having one million new questions. - This is why propably I am posting my review a little late.

I rated this episode 4.8 just below average because it's a warning - Producers and writters should start building up the finale from now on.

One positive thing is the appearance of the other Oceanic 815 survivors. I am already anticipating why they seem to be the "chosen" ones.

... and so they all rolled-over and one fell-out. There were 5 episodes left and the little one said: "Where is the EXIT!"
  • Much better than flashes before your eyes, but not a episode which made me go WOW.

7.4
    This really was a filler episode, as it quickly explained Jacks tatoo (something which has to answered some time), it showed the rest of Sawyer and Kate's escape and little bit more info on Alex's boyfriend. However I thought it was a resonable episode, it had a few good twists (plane hostess came back), little bit of an adventure with Jack saving Juliet, which was pretty good and a introduction of a new charchter. It also had a nice emontial scene, as Jack appears to be falling in love with Juliet and sadness that Alex and her boyfriend can't be with eachother. However it's was Saywers snappy lines which helped it from being a dreadful episode. I wasn't dissapointed from this episode as I wern't expecting much and it won't an episode which I will always remember. However it was a good episode, and I did not get bored, and I hope for a 'WOW' episode next week (or something quite funny and interesting as it's a Hurley flashback :-)
  • Worst episode to date.

Juliet is put on trial for killing Pickett. With Jack and Ben's help, Juliet does not receive the death penalty. The Others and Jack return to the Others' suburban-like homes on the main island. Flashbacks show Jack getting his tattoos during a strange vacation in Thailand. Stranger in a strange land is probably the worst episode of Lost yet can't beleave how poor this episode was, I have enjoyed every single episode of Lost so far but this one was terible nothing happened Jacks flashbacks were boring and the island stories were pointless, I can't remember anything good to say about this episde.
  • This episode makes Jack more understandable!!!

I enjoyed this episode because Jack is one of my favorites characters on this show, and watching it made me understand him more...So in this episode he is Thailand and makes the acquaintance of a woman, who is a visionary,called Achara who marks him...That scene when she tells him that he is a leader, a great man, was excellent...So Jack is on the Others’s island and agrees to treat Ben so that he can save Juliet from death...Instead she gets marked...Personally, I think he got duped either by the daughter of Ben or by Juliet herself to save her, and I think that this is a big mistake...So the Others take the decision to leave the Island and to go to a place they call "Home", and they take Jack with them...Another scene I enjoyed was when Jack is in the cage and some people, among who was the Stewardess of their flight watch him,as if they were at the Zoo...Sawyer, Kate and Karl leave the island and they are confronted with guilt,each for another reason.
  • Great episode which provides further valuable insight into Jack's head and heart...part of the mystery of his tattoo is explained

Apparently, many Lost fans didn't like this episode much...granted, Lost is a plot-driven show and people like to see things happen. And things did happen in that episode, maybe not mystery-related things, but things happened: Kate and Sawyer get back to their island, even though Kate repeatedly tries to get Sawyer to turn back for Jack who explains to her that Jack is on his own now. Something that Kate has much trouble accepting. A crucial dialogue between Kate and Sawyer reveals Kate's guilt over sleeping with Sawyer and provides much insight into Kate's head and heart. Juliet's trial or rather the canceling thereof through Jack is another event that marks the episode.

However, I believe what makes Lost so unique and worthy is that as much as it is plot-driven, it is the characters that make this show truly great. The psychological aspects are almost always mind-blowing, and without the characters the island wouldn't be much. It is the whys and the hows of those characters' behavior in the context of the island that makes this show so great; and one of, to me the most intriguing, special character is Jack.

Often the really good ones are also the really boring ones. Not so with Jack. While he undoubtedly has a truly good and kind heart, he is a very complex man and I'm always happy to learn more about him and get into his head.
    The issues with his father obviously run very deep. He is constantly struggling to prove to his father, to the world, but above all to himself that he has what it takes, that he has the will to make it work. This constant struggle with himself, his lack of faith in himself combined with his unique commitment and sense of responsibility, and with his truly good heart lead to a troubled and complex man, or as Kate called it, "damaged goods". The fact that he always tries to move beyond anything any other person could bear, that he always wants what is good for the individual people he cares about and the group he's responsible for demonstrates immense strength. He is willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of others, something that is perfectly expressed by his credo: "Live together, Die alone" (unlike Sawyer's which is "Every man for himself"). There is an altruism there paired with human fallacy that make him such a complex, intriguing and appealing character. He needs to fix things and people so much that he is often blind to the things that are whole. His commitment and his fear of not having what it takes never allow him to let go. And while that can lead to a self-destructive path, it is this very attitude that enabled him to save many people, many lives, among these Charlie's. Unlike many other men of science, Jack is anything but cold or unfeeling. Rather the very opposite: while he believes in reason he does not lack the ability to believe and has immense ability to love. He puts his faith in people and is guided by his heart, as his father said about him: "He always does what's in his heart". The fact that he doesn't deny anyone his help, not even his enemy, that his integrity is so comprehensive that he will stick out his neck, not only to ensure the safety of his friends, but that of Juliet who is in trouble, that he never abandons his principles, is stressed in this episode…and if you ask me, these points cannot be stressed enough. He's also very contradictory, or surprising. Next to his bedside manner, which from a guy like Jack we'd expect to be impeccable but really isn't, the probably most unexpected or contradictory aspects about Jack are his tattoos, and his master skill in poker. That particular skill, not only enabled him to get back the medicine for the people he's responsible for, but also provided some hilarious scenes between him and Sawyer :) In this episode the background of both those aspects is finally explained. Jack's quest for himself after his divorce lead him to Thailand, where an admittedly horribly acting Bai Ling, not only "sees" who Jack is, but because of Jack's insistence also marks her words forever on him. Those words, words that directly contradict his father's accusation that he doesn't have what it takes to make decisions, have a kind of liberating, maybe even redemptive effect upon Jack who forces his "gifted" acquaintance to brand him with them forever. Jack defies Achara's warning who is reluctant to mark him since he's not one of her people, because he never wants to forget who he is again. While the tattoo may not use the words Jack heard from Achara it carries their very meaning to him. However, only a part of his tattoo is explained through his encounter with Achara. The rest has yet to be revealed…and I can't wait for that to happen.
    Interestingly enough, Juliet is given a mark that identifies her as well, thereby providing a link between Jack and Juliet

A truly great episode which was brilliantly written throughout, very well executed by Matthew Fox and which provided further valuable insight into Jack's psyche.
  • great episode

This episode returns to Jack, Sawyer and Kate after taking a detour last week to a new character Desmond. The flashback focuses on Jack, he went to Thailand where he got the tattoo on his arm. The present shows something with Sawyer and Kate as well as Ben and Juliet. The episode shows enough events to make it interesting, I had a really good time watching this, the plot was well thought out. The writers surely came up with another good episode. The Thailand scenes looked really good, the myth about Jack was somehow expanded to relate to the present events, I can't wait for the next episode.
  • This is the end of this series for me. I can't take it anymore.

I have been watching this series from day one. I loved the first season and told all my friends to go and watch it. The second season started to dissapoint me. It seemed that they don't really want to tell us anything but not important stories. And then the third season arrived. I watched the first seven episodes and almost gave up. 7 episodes, nothing happens. No answers. Nothing. Just more charecters. So I decided to stop watching this series, you can't fool me for so long. But then they aired a promo for episode 9 (I didn't watched episode 8), a promo that said: "at least 3 big questions will be answered". So.... I watched the episode, I wanted to know the answers. And guess what? No answers. Nothing. Sawer and Kate are talking about nothing, Jake do some stuff that aren't that intersting... and this is the end. This is where this series ends for me. You can't make fun of people and lie to them with huge promos.

One thing I did like in this episode is the scene where Jake shouts at a woman (while he is held in a cage outside). I liked it because I also wanted to shout.
  • Absolutely terrible...

During this episode, we find out the origin of Jack's tattoos while suffering thru half an hour of unbelivably annoying flashbacks. Kate and Sawyer argue about the exact same thing over and over again, and the "others"...actually I can't say I know what they did. But, I think that this is one of the only bad episodes that LOST has ever produced. This season, while not the best, has been pretty good so far. To those of you that are considering not watching the show anymore, please, stay tuned. While most shows don't, LOST has a way of pulling off some of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen. After 2 great seasons, I can't believe that LOST could have gone permanently bad.
  • Definitely the worst episode so far.

It's not that there are boring moments in this episode. We've had some dull moments before. But the whole episode is utterly meaningless for the story as a whole (if there is an over arching storyline here). You could sum up the whole episode into five (5) minutes: the meaning of Jack's tattoo is revealed, Kate and Sawyer reach the main island, and the Others and Jack leave the smaller island. That's it! This could have been a great 'start' for an episode but now it's just stretched over the whole length of an episode with Jack's meaningless flashbacks and Kate and Sawyer arguing about nothing.

A real disappointment. If the next episode is anything similar, I'm done with Lost.
  • And I thought the past quality of Lost is back...Ah, sweet naivity!

3.5
    After the last week's episode, I was extremely happy and enthousiastic to see that Season 3 can bring excelent episodes again. I truly believed the quality would not falter again...and I couldn't be more wrong.

Ok, so we can see what Jack and company are doing. We even get introduced to MORE new characters and get absolutely no answers. Is that surprising anymore? No. Jack's ''I was in Thailand and slept with a local girl who looks like a prostitute'' flashback was one of the worst in the existence of Lost. It was not only boring, but absolutely unnecessary, stupid and meaningless (I'll be glad if Jack's tatoo proves to be SOMETHING more, but I'm pretty sure it won't).

Kate and Sawyer's attemps to actually have a serious conversation didn't turn out well as Sawyer's one-liners are quickly becoming tiring and Kate's feelings for Jack and Sawyer can't interest anyone but hardcore fans of love triangles. I wish they reached the camp quickly so we can see good old Locke, Sayid, etc.

There were, however, some positive aspects of the episode: Alex is becoming more and more interesting character and I'd love to see her escape the Others and join the 815 survivors, which is in my opinion not likely to happen. The end was also quite promising, but I'm losing faith in this series again. Let's see how it continues.
  • *No Spoilers* Overall this episode was extremely lacklustre, hollow to the centre and pointless (for the time being)

3.6
    Overall this episode was extremely lacklustre, hollow to the centre and pointless (for the time being) The discontorted nature of season 3, in which a section is cut from one island with the others, to the island with the hobbit, Iraq and the rest of the fellowship of the ring, seems to, while admittedly different, hamper this season, the others, there island and there characters, just seem uninteresting, the others have been, I feel, humanized too fast, the ambiguous mystery surrounding them has been deduced down to paper cut out’s, more fodder to fill the schedule.

In general, as a lead character, Jack seems, quite dislikible in my opinion, very obnoxious, the back-story that accompany him, have a tendency to be somewhat lacklustre in comparison with other characters e.g. Locke, even John Lockes first backdrop story for season 3 felt random and rushed in comparison to his excellent season 1 and 2 backdrop storys.

If like myself, you find the love triangle scenario, somewhat, tedious, in a whimsical Jane Austin sense, then you probably will find the more predominant story of Jack, sawyer and kate, increasingly cringe inducing.

Well, I have no doubt, there will be fans of the show (especially females) who will be blind to the lack of quality of this episode, the episode itself isn’t especially bad for a television show standard, it just, for lost standards, and the high values you may have come to expect, disappointing, and you can somewhat, by watching this episode, empathise why so many people are turning away from it.

To sum up, this episode, feels pointless, like a train going at a steady speed from start to finish as opposed to a rollercoaster, you could quite happily skip this episode.
  • Jack gets kinky.

For a disclaimer: I really like Jack and I do believe he’s the great man and the leader his lover once saw in him. That being said, the stupid j**k that demanded total honesty from her as if truth itself were nothing but another form of domination is simply not the man I’m used to see and part of me can’t help but wonder if that’s the reason why things never work out for him and Kate; because he can’t help but to control every situation, including his love life, just as he does when he spares Juliet from punishment because of what she did to Danny by trading medical care for her life, which puts him in control over her now as he’s entitled to demand total honesty from her as well.

His mysterious tattoo, however, is read without an effort by the new other introduced in the episode, the sheriff, whose search for the truth deeply contrasts with Jack’s as it’s shown not as a form of domination but as a real quest for answers about what happened to Danny Pickett and Juliet’s involvement in his demise, meanwhile the price for that shooting is already sailing away, as we see Kate, Carl and Sawyer dealing with the aftermath of their decision to leave Jack behind, which keeps them conflicted, belligerent but above all things: alive.
  • No wonder on the 2nd season box set the producer Lindelof I believe said on a not so special feature to fans w/ a plea in his eyes and voice that to fans to give the show until the 2nd half of the season for things to pick up.

5.2
    It was a subtle warning that this show is gonna suck for awhile or for the rest of the duration of it because they are 0ut of ideas of dragging out the show while still making it interesting. I kind of saw this coming so they were honestly selling the show to a cable network like FX at least that way they could of had less ep. to produce there fore having better quality stories wk. to wk. Instead we get this crap about Jacks new and old boring relationships w/ people we havent seen enough to care about, and we get the reveal of his tatoo. WHO freakin CARES unless they were going to reveal something about it in the 1st season when it was fresh in our minds I think they should of left it alone until a more thrilling storyline came to place. Also all the main characters i.e. Jack,Sawyer,Kate,Locke etc. have plaid out flash backs at this point and no one really cares about where theyve been only where thier going, I dont know about you but thats what keeps me tuning in not the flashbacks heres an idea how about an ep. w/o 1. Also how I know even the stars and the writers are getting tired of the main characters flashbacks is when Jack mentions to the Asian bootycall tatoo artist in the flashback that he was tired of talking about his father, and yes Jack,Lindeloff us fans our tired of hearing about him too. I wouldnt be surprised if these are the final flashbacks for these characters b4 we get some new blood to learn about b/c if the show keeps going this way they wont see past this season of already produced eps. Hence us waiting untill Feb.7th to get new eps. every wk. until the end of the season b/c us fans are losing our patience. And obviously so is ABC by the statement the narrator makes at the beginning of next wks. previews where he stated Locke and co. finally attempt the LONG OVERDUE rescue and reunion. By the way nothing is going to pick up until the 2nd have of the season just like Lindelof said because we are at what ep. 10 now so Im thinking ep. 12 if it gets that far who knows it could canceled any day now on how the ratings are plummeting. Us fans might have to wait until a dvd box set to see how the story doesnt end b/c Im sure the writers wont reveal everything at the end of this season in hopes to be picked up again. Heres hoping they dont write themselves in a corner and let the fans down like they did w/ Gaylias! P.s. didnt Jack and the others go back to thier fancy island homes back on the island where everybody else is? So if thats the case next wks. rescue will be a waste of time b/c Locke/Kate and co. will find nothing like Sayid at the end of last season and it will be just more filler of them walking around looking at nothing looking scared. But who knows maybe they'll find out what the others are trying to dig up or disturb some ancient evil u know something cool and watchable like that!
  • Talk about being out of place

5.5
    From the high point of the season to what is arguably it's lowest point, I had a somewhat higher opinion of this episode when I first saw (and even then I didn't think much of it/) Stranger in a Strange Land' has some interesting parts to it, but considering that the writers would never follow up on them, they make this episode somewhat frustrating.
    The episode immediately follows the actions of 'Mot in Portland' with Jack finally being removed from the Hydra part of the to the cages where they kept Kate and Sawyer. They then follow up by moving Juliet to his old cage, but unlike the previous episodes, they make sure that he sees it .Is it possible that what follows is an exercise done to demonstrate that they are going through with something. Immediately afterwards, we meet a woman named Isabel-, who Tom classifies as the sheriff, and is clearly in charge of carrying out some kind of law involving Juliet's murder of Danny. But immediately before that, Juliet comes out with pictures showing that Ben's wounds have become infected, and that he needs further medical attention. After Jack refuses, Juliet is led away, and not long after the 'investigation' begins. Isabel asks Jack (with Juliet in the room) about Jack's accusation that Juliet wanted to see Ben dead. Jack lies to protect her, and somehow Isabel knows this However, before going any further with this, Jack demands to be taken back to his cage.

The next day, Jack learns through Alex (who deliberately knocks out the camera) that Juliet is about to be executed for her murder. Jack asks her several questions, all of which she answers honestly. She then asks Jack the million-dollar question: Why did Jack save Ben? The only answer that Jack gives is that he took an path, and as we have seen Jack's actions on and off the island, we know he believes very seriously in the Hippocratic Oath. That probably motivated his actions more than anything else. Afterwards, Alex lets him out of his cage, where he investigates the wound and says that it needs to be seriously watched or he Ben could never walk again. We will soon learn that this into what usually happens on the island, but Ben will be the exception to the rule. For that reason, though, Ben overrules Isabel and takes the execution that she has coming, and commutes it to a mark. Branding is a biblical punishment, so it does seem to indicate they might have killed her, would they?

Now here's the problem. Everything else we know about the e Others indicates that Ben is the ultimate authority.. If there was going to be an execution, (and Ben did hear some of what Jack mentioned, so he might well know she was plotting against him) wouldn't he have ordered in the first place? Is it possible that the entire exercise with Isabel was staged for Jack's benefit, in order to manipulate him into saving Ben's life? The argument against it would be that Alex, who clearly disagrees with everything her father's been doing, seems so willing to help Juliet and Jack, and not her father? Why would she go along with it? And Isabel seems to operate apart from Ben? What's her real role? We don't know because after this episode, we never see her again. This would seem to indicate that the writers weren't thinking that hard on this.

But Alex is not the only familiar face Jack sees--- we see a group of Others, and among them are Cindy, the stewardess who was in the tail section, and Zach and Emma, the two children Ana Lucia rescued. All three were taken by the Others, and now seem to have completely been assimilated. How? Especially in the case of Cindy, who has been in their custody less than a month? Is there some kind of brainwashing or drugs that they use? Does it involve what we saw in Room 23? We never find out, mainly because Jack, apparently seeing this as yet another betrayal, yells at this group to go away. And why'd he do that? Tom, Isabel, and Alex all approached his cage and asked questions, he was perfectly all right answering them, and he had less reason to be friendly.

I've already commented on how Jack's flashbacks are generally the weakest, and this one is pretty lame as well, but it does have some benefits. For one thing, in Thailand, it is shows Jack truly happy almost for the first time. He doesn't understand the language, he doesn't know anybody, and with the presence of Achara, he seems truly free for the first time. H e seems to have gotten away from all the ghosts that have been chasing him. But, as always, Jack can not let anything go. He has to know what Achara's secret, and once he finds out, he demands that he she brand him, even though the consequences when they come are ghastly. And while I know that the actual translations of Jack's tattoos is a really minor mystery, I'd been wondering what it meant since Season 1, so I was glad that we got an answer to one question.

The only other characters that we see of the Losties are Kate and Sawyer, who are now carrying Karl, who seems to be getting over his torture relatively fast (He does, however, mention Jacob in confusion, making it the third time we've heard this name. Who is Jacob?) Karl seems completely disconnected from what is happening, and clearly misses Alex, so even though he probably could tell them a lot about the Others Sawyer sends him away. Of course, he tells Kate that he was doing it to save himself, but you've got to admit, Sawyer must have felt something for a man whose lost his Karl. But again, we never learn who is Karl? Was he born on the island? Where are his parents? Was he an Other? Unfortunately, we're never going to get answers to these questions either.

'Stranger in a Strange Land' is an unremarkable episode to be sure, but what makes it so weak is that it sets up a lot of really interesting possibilities that the writers never answer, not now, not ever. They did something similar during Season2 (remember that army Jack and Ana were going to raise?) but considering that so many of our questions about the Others have been revealed by now (though not close to all), it feels that the writers didn't try hard enough or make the real effort.. Which is something they don't do very often.
    My score:5.5
  • I love Jack ,But I don't like his story shown to me 3 times.Which is what happens here,you've seen this before. I love Ling Bai ,I want to see more of her.i wish this was on hbo.

5.5
    I love Ling Bai ,I want to see more of her.i wish this was on hbo.

we know jacks got a really nutzoid side when it comes to women , weve got it !!! but here we go again and its only because were being set up for it to happen again with juliet. Its sad to see the hero turn inside out like this . but still it wasnt a total loss. and by that i mean we got to see why he was in tailand and what the tatoos mean on the show. in real life he got it for party of 5 .plus ling is amazing looking....did i say that already?
  • I don't know... moderately better than last week. Disappointing from commercials.

The commercial I saw last week looked like it showed major mysteries solved this week, but maybe I heard it wrong. Nothing even remotely big was revealed. Some of the 'missing' passengers from the flight are somehow content to be living with the others. Brainwashing? Cult? Who knows... what on earth were they there to watch? The sentencing of Juliet? Why do they have to be so irritatingly cryptic??? Why not just say what you're there for? "We're here to watch". Ya. Sense Makes.

I could have sworn the kid in Kate and Sawyer's boat said something about God loving them... but he mumbled too much. But it looked as though he *was* being brainwashed last week.

There definitely better be some stuff revealed here soon. Although I am glad to see them going back to the 'Others' homes, so we can see more of where they live, and hopefully find out who they are.
  • I can't get over how this once great show has gone to the dogs (that hiatus didn't help it much either). What are the writers thinking?? Is the dullness of the last few episodes just part of a greater scheme that I simply don't get?

6.4
    The only significant revelation in season 3 so far (at least for us boys): Evangeline Lilly is getting hotter by the minute. Anything else noteworthy? Not really.

During the months-long hiatus I almost completely lost interest in the show, especially since the first part of season 3 didn't do much to glue me to the screen. Hoping that the show would pick up pace after the break turned out to be wishful thinking - it is just sooo boring. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too stupid to "get" what's going on, and that a much smarter person actually still enjoys "Lost" - maybe I'm just missing something?

This show is on valium - it moves with the pace of an unconscious snail. The producers need to get their act together, and fast... or "Lost" is really lost.
  • What has happened to lost?

Bored! Nearly gave up watching half way through. Unfortunately for Lost this show can not be stretched out for too many seasons before fans get bored of being treated like idiots. A few more nothing episodes like this and I think I will give up. Big secrets will be revealed? Really, where? Boring flashback that didn't make sense, Jack shouts and gets angry once again for no reason, then forced some girl to give him a tattoo, whoop-de-do! Maybe I missed something, it is possible I fell asleep at some point. But can’t bring myself to sit through it again to check. At least I got a good laugh when Jack went from calm to shouting yet again in a split second.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6