Lost

Sundown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 02, 2010 on ABC

• Damn no more pattern.

Sayid faces a difficult decision, and Claire sends a warning to the temple inhabitants. Wow what an episode. The tops Locke's episode a couple of weeks ago as the best of the season. Like The Substitute the flash sideways are nothing speacil, Seeing Keamy and co. again was cool even if it was only for one scene before he was killed again and the part with Jin was intresting but we will have to wait for his episode to find out I guess. Other than that one scene Sayid's story was a bit boring, but his story on the island was exciting. I enjoyed the fight between Sayid and Dogen near the start that was fun, I noticed Sayid was fighting a lot differently than we have seen in the past he was faster, I think that this could be due to the his re birth. He is going down a dark path and I like it, the character really grabbed me again in this episode, last week I thought Sayid was boring but now he is really intresting I'm looking forward to seeing what him, Claire and MIB get up to in the future episodes.

L ike I said last week the new Claire is awesome Emelie is doing a great job with the sudden change in the character and I'm really enjoying seeing this character have a bigger role in the series. The obvious stand out moment of the episode is the ending all I can say is WOW! I can't wait til next week.
  • Sayid ! ..

Sayid , remember this name because he will be the next evil for Fake-Locke . this episode deliver one of the best thriller scene ever the Sayid and Fake-Locke scene was really speechless . Clarie craziness still amazing , Sin & Ben are finally back what a good feeling i had . Sayid acting in this episode was really one of the his best performance ever as always ! . first mins in the episode Sayid was cool and clam and at the last very ending of the episode she changes 180 degree and that's what make him an Emmy award winner . and his face impression when he kill the Egg guy and said " i don't " was breathtaking .

10/10 .
  • One of the most memorable episodes of all time and without a doubt the best episode of the season 6.

Lost has come to it's final season and it seems that every episode now has what are in my understanding are called ''Flash Sideways'' Which is like a flash back if Oceanic flight 815 had landed in Sydney. Every episode has had a different characters flash sideways such as Locke (smokey), Kate, Jack, Ben, etc. This episode was about Sayid's life. The episode moved me from start to finish and Sayid seemed cooler than a villain! I didn't really understand the quote he said to Ben when Ben said come on Sayid theirs still time ''Not for me'' ????

No idea whats in store but at the moment season 6 is living up to every bit of the hype and hopefully will continue!
  • What an episode

That was good. That was really good. I loved that dark and very dangerous undertone this episode had.. Sayid has always been mysterious and those acts on the island only made it deeper. I mean: that chinese man trying to have others kill him over and over again. I so loved the moment on the pool room where Sayid decided to get rid of him. I never liked the chinese man at all.. so, him out of the picture, that great. but his hippy friend.. He looked more intriguing but if to get rid of that chinese man, it was necessary to get rid off him, it's all fine by me.

Claire also has some great developments. I mean.. what they are really up to? Do we know? There starts to be more and more bipolar atmosphere.. so.. will it all end in clash? and if it does, who wins?
  • Hard to break the chain of 10s with this review...

Overall this was probably up there with "The Substitute" as the best episode of season six so far.

A "perfect" rating is probably stretching it quite a lot, of course, but this episode was a big game-changer -- Jacob's forces are now in disarray, the temple is crushed, and sides have been drawn. Sayid and Claire have become consumed by The Sickness, and temple-protectors Dogen and Lennon have fallen at the former's hands.

The episode was skillfully paced; leading us gradually through a methodical build-up to an epic showdown at sundown. And when the showdown came, it was worth it. Lost doesn't often do action-sequences, and sometimes is unfairly criticised for it -- this episode demonstrates masterfully why epic-but-rare is far more dramatically satisfying than little-but-often. When Lost does action, it does it memorably. The final 10 minutes' action-piece of this episode sits alongside the incident (in the episode of the same title), the freighter explosion, the beach showdown with the others (in Through The Looking Glass), the hatch implosion, and several others, as another memorable and heart-pounding blaze of glory for the show.

The flash-sideways, comparatively, still move slowly and focus more on character enlightenment. It would be easy to mistake the purpose of the alternate reality to simply be a "Oooh look at what could have happened! Oooh, look what's changed!" scenario, but I think it's pretty obvious that there's far more to these stories than that. In this episode, on the island, Locke suggests to Sayid that if he follows him he will be able to see Nadia again... Perhaps the alternate reality is influenced by Jacob and his adversary; it's too early to tell. It is curious, however, that the two characters who have had flash-sideways who followed Locke at the end of the episode (Kate and Sayid) are still relatively miserable, struggling to find redemption and struggling to move beyond their previously-explored demons... A complete contrast to the Jacob followers (Jack and Hurley), who are relatively happy and apparently clear of the demons that plagued them in the original-timeline.

I'm not sure what this all means, or whether it's relevant. But the Jacob followers are happy; the Locke followers are miserable. There have been arguments over which side is truly "good" and which side is truly "bad" -- the flash-sideways may or may not serve a greater purpose than is currently visible, but if nothing else, they seem to be providing some enlightenment to the reality of one of the most important and mythologically-central debates on the show. And for that reason alone they are serving a crucial purpose.
  • A great action episode.

After being tortured and almost killed by a poison pill at the hands of the Others Sayid understandably had some questions. It's always good when the main characters push for answers, as even if they aren't the most pressing ones we may have, it usually means there'll be some kind of closure in the episode. The episode started fantastically with an amazing fight scene between Dogan and Sayid. A great combination of martial arts techniques, sheer strength brawling and using weapons were all incorporated into the brilliant scene with it all feeling very realistic within the moment.

Despite winning the fight Dogan refused to kill Sayid (for reasons revealed later in the episode) and instead exiled him. But before he could leave Claire arrived at the temple and it seemed that Dogan now had a use for Sayid. Obviously at this stage for Sayid to go along with Dogan it would take some pretty good convincing. In truth it didn't seem to be that hard, but the line about redemption clearly struck a chord with Sayid and so it worked for the episode. Sayid did encounter fake-Locke and, as instructed, stabbed him. I liked how it didn't work, as considering he survived being shot why would a stabbing do any damage. So the reveal that Dogan had wanted the Monster to kill Sayid was a nice one, only bettered by what he was then offered from our "man in black".

So there was the obviously link thematically to the flash-sideways (slowly coming round to that term) in which Sayid had what he wanted, kind of. At this point recapping the differences seems pointless, but for those still keeping score it would seem that Sayid left the army after the war (and therefore presumably never needed to help Nadia escape from an Iraq prison). The major one though was that, similarly to last week, there were new lives that never existed before. Sayid's niece and nephew weren't the emotional link here however, as that was (as it had always been) Nadia.

As far as any hints to what the deal is with this alternate reality or any real answers went, we didn't get any. But what we did get was a well told story about a man who can't fight the darkness inside him, whichever timeline he's in. I have to say I did notice Kevin Durand's name in the opening titles, so kind of spoiled it for myself. Sure it wasn't the most epic reveal, but getting to see Keamy again was very cool. While in essence his character wasn't any different to that of season 4 Keamy, it was great to see him in a different setting and acting quite differently. As before he was great and the scene was superbly done. From "I make good eggs" to Sayid having enough and effortlessly taking out all three guys it was excellent to watch. Jin being in the fridge was a cliffhanger that worked to set up a future episode without undermining this one.

Back on the island instead of killing Sayid Locke had him deliver a message to the Others at the temple. How much exactly all these people know about the mysteries between Jacob and his nemesis isn't clear, but they clearly believed in Jacob, as now they're terrified that the Monster will take them all out. It does seem a little bit daft that they're trusting he won't kill them once they leave the temple but it still worked, especially as Cindy was clearly fearful for the kids.

When Sayid returned the knife to Dogan we got a little surprise. It was a bit of a strange lead in to the conversation about Dogan's son as it came from a question about why he wouldn't kill Sayid. It's something Lost has done in the past, sometimes it works sometimes it's weird. Instead of giving anything like an answer we get a little story. It did relate to what Sayid was going through, but had nothing to do with his question! As for the moment itself the line delivery and dialogue was great, but it's the kind of thing that we'd rather see than just hear about. Imagine if that had been a flashback scene, it would've been great!

Either way it led into a big moment as Sayid killed our Japanese friend just as I was really starting to like him. I do like that Lost isn't afraid to kill off big characters on the show and Dogan's translator getting taken out too nicely implied the end of the temple section of the season. After being promised the attack on the temple at the end of the last episode it didn't disappoint! Even more epic than the Monster taking out Bram and his men in the premiere it decimated the temple and looked awesome as it ran rampant through the corridors. That several of our main characters were in there added to the panic and we got a very cool shot of Kate diving over the ledge as the cloud of black smoke came towards her.

And to make it even more interesting Illana, Frank, Ben and Sun turned up to rescue everyone. It was great to see them appear and it looks like the cast are almost reunited. While all this chaos was going on the question about Sayid was whether he was actually evil or just gave in to the man in black's offer. I have to say from Ben's reaction to him I think it's the former. Having him, Claire and Kate walk out to see the carnage left behind by the Monster would've been a cool moment. However it rocked up to epic levels with the genius idea of having Claire's singing of "catch a falling star" over it. It really played up the devastation, not only of how many guys died, but how much things seemed to have tipped in the favour of fake Locke. Whether these guys are following him through fear or because they want to leave the island, things aren't looking good for those not currently in Locke's camp.

I have to question where Richard is as last we saw he was on his way back to the temple. I can only assume it was for convenience sake as him being there wouldn't have worked for the story. Also where was Sawyer? Were we to assume he was just off sobering up somewhere? I can understand Jin still being unable to walk, but it seems Sawyer should still be hanging about with fake Locke. Still those were the only real complaints. The flash-sideways was a nice little tale, with one superb scene in particular which also gets points for the cool gunplay. The best thing about this episode I felt was that a lot happened in it! It moved forward the story, while setting up the next couple of episodes nicely, all the while doing it in an entertaining and action packed manner. Like I said in my premiere review; I don't care what they do this season if they tell it this well!
  • On the Island, Sayid choses his side. On the alternate reality, he helps out his brother and his family.

One of the best episodes of this sixth season of Lost, and of the entire show. Naveen Andrews is perfect, and the flash-sideways show us a side to Sayid that we wouldn't know. Terry O'Quinn is also excellent in this episode, and I liked Emilie de Rvin too... Claire really looks nuts ! A very good surprise at the end of the episode are the surprise guests in the tempel... I really didn't expect to see them here !
    And the final scene... I had a thrill on this one !
    So, excellent episode, I wait the following and I hope tanh quality will still be there !
  • The war begins in earnest

While some fans have been complaining about the pacing of the season thus far, many found it readily apparent that it was all leading to open conflict between Jacob, his rival, and more importantly, their followers. This episode is the first such clash, and it is remarkably brutal. More so, because it sends one very popular original survivor of Oceanic 815 into a very dark direction.

Much like the previous character-centric episodes of the season, the contrast between "Lost Prime" and "Lost X" seems to be how the characters have chosen to address the flaws of their nature. In "Lost X", Kate embraces the criminal side of her nature, Locke has come to terms with his paralysis and limitations, and Jack has found the strength to face his lifelong feelings of inadequacy.

Sayid X is a more complicated man. It's not so much that he has overcome the violence in his heart or the darkness in his soul. If there is a message to this episode, it's that Sayid was never going to be able to run from what he has become. Rather, it is a question of what would drive Sayid to utilize those unfortunate skills. In "Lost X", it's a threat against his family and the woman he loves, even if she is his brother's wife. Only that is worth another stain on his soul.

In "Lost Prime", Sayid's has been locked in a cycle of violence since the start of the series. In many cases, he tried to move past such tactics, but ultimately, they became something of a default. In the first half of the story, it was in service to survival and the hope of returning to Nadia. Since her death, it has been a growing nihilism within Sayid, a sense that there is no reason to try to rise above his worst impulses.

In short, it all comes down to Nadia. In "Lost X", Sayid made the conscious choice to sacrifice his own happiness for her best interests. In a certain sense, Sayid has chosen an honorable path, not unlike a samauri or similar iconic warrior figure. In "Lost Prime", Sayid has been consistently focused on his own needs, and in the end, his desire to regain what he has lost, no matter how unlikely or questionable such a thing might be, has fully corrupted him.

Much like Sawyer, Sayid has been manipulated by Jacob's rival through the apparent offer of a choice. It's so methodical that it must be something that Jacob's rival has been doing for quite some time. Jacob's rival knows that Jacob is manipulating people and events to bring them to the island as Candidates, and he uses that fact to his advantage. He reveals the truth (or selective parts of it) to the Candidates and pushes them to make a choice based on that information, knowing that the likely response is rejection of Jacob's design.

This episode is a perfect example of that offer and subversion of choice. Jacob's rival tells the residents of the Temple that they must either leave and join him, or die at sundown. For those with a strong sense of loyalty to Jacob and an apparent understanding of the nature of the conflict, the choice to die rather than join Jacob's rival may be a good one.

But for the majority of the residents of the Temple (and therefore the majority of the Others), there has never really been a choice. It's been more dogmatic. The Others are the chosen of Jacob, and therefore, they are more than happy to assume that anyone not chosen by Jacob must be expendable. That has been the treatment of non-Others since the beginning, from Dharma to Danielle to the survivors of Oceanic 815. They assume they are "the good guys", and they act accordingly.

It's really something akin to blind faith, and between Jacob's death and the release of Jacob's rival, that faith has been shattered. Now there is doubt, and the fear that comes with it. Enter the ultimatum, and suddenly the choice to live becomes a driving force. Even if it seems like they are not being given much of a choice, by the apparent rules of the game, it's enough of a willing allegiance to matter.

What is clear is that Jacob is the one who brings people to the Island. Jacob's rival does not want people there. What Jacob and his rival are arguing about, in terms of who is right or wrong, is not at all clear yet. Thus far, it looks as though Jacob needs to bring the Candidates to the island on a regular basis so he can find a replacement. If there are no people on the island, then Jacob cannot have a replacement. That ends the conflict.

While there are still some indications that there is a predestination/free will conflict at play, that may be a false impression. After all, as mentioned in previous reviews, it doesn't quite mesh with the actions of Jacob's rival in previous episodes, particularly his penchant for judgment. That judgment always seemed to come when people (like, for example, Mr. Eko) were unwilling to transcend their internal flaws and seek redemption.

Much of this final season is pointing back to the first season. Also, "Lost X" seems to be a timeline in which the familiar survivors of Oceanic 815 have found a way to achieve some peace of mind without Jacob's interference. Taking that into account, there may be an explanation for the philosophical difference of opinion between Jacob and his rival.

A major theme of the series has been redemption. For the characters, the island has always been something of a crucible: they are confronted, by whatever means, by their own greatest weaknesses. It always seemed as though the island, in some sense, was offering the chance to wipe the slate clean and find a new, better path. It always came down to that choice to change and grow.

That suggests that the conflict may simply be a difference of opinion on the base quality of humanity itself. In other words, Jacob may feel that human beings have the potential to rise above their flaws and weaknesses and become something better. That may be a pre-condition for whoever might replace him.

Jacob's rival, on the other hand, clearly indicts humanity on their inability to change. This ties right back into that conversation in "The Incident": Jacob sees progress with each new group of test subjects/Candidates, and his rival denounces the process as proof of humanity's innate flaw. That would imply that it's not destiny vs. free will, but rather, a conflict over whether or not humanity has what it takes to make the right decisions with the free will they have been given.

That resolves many apparent contradictions, and aligns the whole of the series arc with the current events. For example, it now makes sense that Jacob was telling Ben that he had a choice at the end of "The Incident"; he was trying to push Ben to make the right choice. Whereas Jacob's rival is simply pushing people to follow their darkest impulses. Jacob's rival appears to be pushing people by appealing to their basest expression of self-interest, to eliminate those he cannot kill (the Candidates, it seems), and then he will likely wipe out everyone on his own side before leaving the island himself.

So where does Charles Widmore come into the equation? If Jacob's rival controlled Ben, then wouldn't it make sense that Jacob would have influenced Widmore? After all, Widmore's goal was to capture Ben Linus and kill everyone else. Based on the rules, that would have left the conflict between Jacob and his rival at the usual status quo; Jacob would just have to find another group of Candidates at some later time.

On the other hand, perhaps there are no other Candidates. Perhaps that is why all those names were on the wheel at the Lighthouse; at least some of those names had to be from previous groups of people brought to the island. Maybe that is what Jacob meant when he spoke about "progress": that each group of potential Candidates, when lost to the inevitable conflicts, brought them closer to the point when Jacob could be replaced.

Whatever the case, this definitely brought the introductory phase of the final season to a close. Now things are set to get more complicated. That may seem like a foregone conclusion when it comes to "Lost", but it's all relative. The real question is: after an episode as strong as this, can the rest of the season measure up?

Overall, this episode was a turning point, both in terms of the season arc and in terms of the conflict between Jacob and his rival. For fans of Sayid, it had to be difficult to accept, but the writers are being consistent with where the characters began. If nothing else, it is clear that this story is unlikely to have a happy ending.
  • A typical magnificent episode of LOST. Also the first action packed episode in the final season. Bravo! Take a bow!

This to me was the beginning of the end of Lost. Sundown had it all: the calm then rampaging smoke monster tearing through the temple. A Sayid who went on a killing spree and who seemed to have finally accept his purpose in life and abandon his hope for redemption (This was probably due to the infection seeking through his veins for the heart).
    Claire in the previous episode was derange, clearly a woman on the edge. But in this episode she entirely different woman, still eerie, she was strangely clam and totally cool. Even she encountered the others, well when I say encountered I mean strolled up to them, she didn't even battler an eyelid and took everything that occur in the temple within her stride. AND when she learnt that Kate did take Aaron & even took him away off the island and further away from her care, you could tell that she was pawing to get at Kate, calculating of when to attack her to get revenge. So when Kate jumped into the hole with her, to avoid the monster, I thought catfight would begin. So overall for this storyline I wasn't I must admit enthralled, but gradually as the story has progressed I've been looking forward to its conclusion, or dare I say it... showdown.
    Even though it was Sayid-centric episode, to me the main focus was on Dogen. In recent episodes, Dogen added the old mystery and allure that has become standard to the show that has attracted millions of viewers. But in this episode and perhaps briefly in 'The Lighthouse' was a man who has slowly becoming resigned to the fact that his time on the island and his life was drawing to a close. Dogen like the rest of the characters on Lost has daddy issues, and he dwells on the mistakes that he as a daddy made and the sacrifice he to make to rectify them. So when Sayid came up to sit by him by the spring, Dogen knew what his fate held, but that did not deter him telling Sayid of his biggest mistake and unconsciously willed Sayid to end his torment and become at peace, which Sayid happily obliged to do.

To Dogen, you were great and I hope to see you again before LOST is over. The overall storyline of this episode seems to be moving with an increasing pace. Whereas in a typical season of Lost, we would be stuck at the temple for the entire season, in this season, the temple came and went all within six episodes. So with the majority of the LOST gang siding with the smoke-monster, you have to wonder who will stand in his way. And all I can think of is Hurley, sweet innocent Hurley, probably Richard by his side and hopefully Desmond. With only 10 episodes left and the two-hour finale to go, each episode is going be as fast paced, jam- packed and ever so entertaining as 'Sundown' that won't be able to stop drooling. And on note I will see you next week.
  • Honestly, what isn't there to love about 'Sundown'? The fact that it has to come to an end, that's what.

It seems that there is a general consensus among many Lostaholics that, so far, the show's sixth and final season is not quite living up to expectations. Forums are abuzz with the notion that something is just 'not quite right', but no one can put their finger on what exactly is missing. Perhaps it's the weight of responsibility that executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have given themselves; this being the last gasp, so to speak, we've been promised answers to the substantial volume of questions that have arisen in seasons past, but the first six episodes only really hint at solutions, dripfeeding us all with inferences and, frustratingly, further conundrums. Maybe the time for dicking around is over, and now that we've reached the final stretch, the viewing public need, nay demand, more. But this isn't the only potential explanation. There's another significant feature of the final year that may be the cause of some dissatisfaction: the oblique sideways flashes. It isn't the mind-boggling nature of these that's the problem, though (if anything, the question of what role they play in relation to the show's chronology is actually what makes them worth watching). It's their inherent similarity to what we've seen before. As a friend of mine suggested recently, we've been a bit spoiled with the 'non-linear' strands in the past two seasons: year four had intriguing flash-forwards that required you to piece together the timeline, while year five was just plain barmy, incorproating flashbacks, forwards, through time and all sorts. To go back to the sort of standard stories we were used to in the first three seasons seems almost like a bit of a let down. Of course, things aren't so black and white, since we're beginning to pick up subtle, and rather less than subtle, differences between the lives of the Losties pre-815 crash and post-LA landing, and this gives the narratives some intrigue, but at the end of the day, the majority of the emotional and metaphorical beats, the essence of the stories, are concerned with aspects of the characters that we've explored substantially before: Kate's penchant for running away, Locke refusing to accept his situation, Jack's daddy issues. These feel outmoded, so perhaps it's a case of overt familiarity.

Fortunately, however, this latest episode manages to circumnavigate the problem by only moderately touching on the standard psychological ennui of its chosen flash-sidewaysee. Sayid's struggle with the demons of his past, his attempt to make amends for his role under the Republican Guard, takes something of a back-seat to the establishment of the quite significant differences inherent in this version of events, as well as the interweaving of the lives of the other Oceanic 815 passengers. For all the story explores his willingness to retaliate against those who threaten, and subsequently assault, his brother, more time is spent establishing the changes to his relationship with Nadia (who has somehow ended up with his bro), integrating the dastardly Keimi, who Jarrah murders in a wonderfully intense sequence, dripping with beautifully understated malice, and establishing a connection with Jin at the close of the narrative, which comes completely out of nowhere and generates a considerable number of questions that are guaranteed to have us tuning in for the next instalment. Thankfully, we don't spend too long deliberating over the moral implications of Sayid's willingness to use violence; he simply makes a decision and gets down to business, which prevents the strand from meandering or appearing overly verbose.

It also provides a delectable thematic connection to the on-Island narrative, as the viewer is able to draw quite potent parallels between the two versions of the character. Sayid's actions in 2007 are similarly 'straightforward', if you will, demonstrating little patience with the concept of pontification. Faced with differing perspectives on events, with a similar question of violence versus pacifism, Jarrah chooses the former, murdering both Dogan and Lennon in cold blood, in a sequence that is in direct syntagmatic relation to the slaying of his brother's assailants. It reinforces the inherent complexity of his character, but also creates an interesting dichotomy between understandable violence and unwarranted brutality. While it is up to the viewer to determine whether these measures are ever called for, it is certainly easier to rationalise Sayid's actions in the flash sideways, which is perhaps symptomatic of the question mark that currently hangs, ominously, over the 2007 character's head. Is this the 'real' Sayid, the guy we've come to know and love for the last six seasons? Or is this someone different altogether, tainted and reshaped by Smokie; 'diseased', if you will? Is 'the sickness' something tangible that UnLocke does to people or is it simply how the Others refer to those who have communicated with him and perhaps been mentally influenced by his words? These questions make this entire storyline wonderfully captivating and provide Naveen Andrews with an opportunity to outshine pretty much everyone in the cast; a task to which he rises with great aplomb.

From a storytelling perspective, it works beautifully too. The script maintains a prominent level of ambiguity throughout, refusing to allow the viewer to be certain as to the motives of the parties involved. In the aftermath of his absolutely stellar fight sequence with Jarrah (which is probably the best of its kind that has ever been presented on the show, choreographed to perfection), we are never quite certain as to what Dogen's aims are, particularly as the accidental 'dropping' of the baseball has clear emotional and psychological significance, apparently prompting a sincere change of heart. Of course, we subsequently realise that he is merely deferring responsibility for Sayid's murder, in a two-header sequence bristling with suspense. O'Quinn and Andrews are absolutely magnificent together, achieving so much with so little. Sayid's own actions are unpredictable too, and it's almost a given at this point that we will be treated to both sides of the coin, so to speak, in relation to any decisions made by UnLocke. This notable lack of transparency enriches the narrative, preventing any obvious inferences and therefore generating significant momentum. The plot moves along at a breakneck, decidedly anxious, pace, despite essentially consisting of a series of minor confrontations and deliberations. And when sundown approaches, and the pay-off is delivered, the script hits home run after home run, providing superlative shock value in Dogen and Lennon's murders, some delightfully frightening sequences as Smokie lays waste to the Temple and its inhabitants (all of which are expertly shot) and a superb final scene, underscored to great effect by 'Catch A Falling Star', in which Kate surveys the wreckage and watches UnLocke gather his troops.

There are many other noteworthy elements within 'Sundown' too. Emile de Ravan continues to make the most of her new-found role as Clairsseau (nope, I can't take credit for that one... see the official Lost audio podcast from a few weeks ago for the reference), creating a thoroughly convincing and decidedly unnerving portrayal of a girl driven to the outskirts of madness by time, loss, isolation and influence. She's great as she strides into the Temple, squaring up to Dogan, and even better in her scenes with Kate in the hole in the ground, delivering each laconic line of dialogue with an eerie assuredness and calm. For all it is a little convenient, the arrival of Sun, Ben, Frank and Ilyana is a much welcome surprise, especially since it seems to herald the connection of a few dots pertaining to the Losties who were previously in 1977; it's good to see Cindy back in play and given a few interesting lines of dialogue (hopefully we'll get to see how she integrated herself into the Others' camp in the weeks to come); there's the interesting suggestion that Dogan is somehow responsible for keeping Dogan out, simply by his very existence; and, of course, Jack's screentime is confined to a brief, dialogue-less cameo in the flash sideways. Marvellous.

If Lost is 'suffering' a little in its sixth season, not seeming quite like its former self, then you certainly wouldn't know it from watching 'Sundown'. This is an absolutely stellar episode, packed to the brim with intrigue, suspense, action and drama, that pays off a number of loose narrative strands, propels the arc plot forward substantially and even provides an engaging, thought-provoking flash sideways to boot. Naveen Andrews is given the opportunity to shine and boy, does he, providing wonderfully understated portrayals of the myriad sides of Sayid's character to which we are treated, all the while keeping the viewer guessing as to what his next move may be. There are a number of genuine shocks in the plot and the production is absolutely flawness, the crew rising admirably to the substantial demands of the script, delivering a brilliantly brutal fight sequence in the teaser and another wonderfully frightening Smoke Monster Attack(TM) in the final act. Honestly, what isn't there to love about 'Sundown'? The fact that it has to come to an end, that's what.
  • Without a doubt, the best episode of this season and the only episode of season 6 that can be rated 10s. The intensy, the surprises and twists prove it.

Some lost fans gave 10 for some of the last episodes, but this episode proves that this is what a 10s episode is suppose to be like

What I Like/Disliked -» Everything is this episode, the intensity, the unpredictability.

Overall:

Presentation -» (10/10) This was by far the best presentation of the season, sayid alternative reality had a little twist, Claire and her friend begins their plans of the temple and sayid and the japonese guy had a great fight scene

Complication Phase -» (10/10), This phase had many great and excellent moments, reencounters, discussions and surprises and deaths.

Climax -» (10/10), the attack to the temple was intense and is by far the most well executed moment of tension in this season, everyone in danger, surprises and again reencounters.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10), nothing heartbreaking, but it was great by the end

Alternative Reality -» (9/10), in my opinion, sayid reality was by far the most interesting and coherent so far, the entire situation, the love history and the surprise by the end was very well done

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10), didn´t notice fillers scenes, all the scenes seems important and relevant.

Plot Holes -» (10/10), nothing to say.

Drama/Emotions -» (10/10), Kate and Claire, Sayid decisions in both realities, all played nice and well.

Suspense/Tension -» (10/10), Since we knew that all the people at the temple were in danger, this created the most intense moments in this season so far, many deaths occurred.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints/Surprise/Twists (10/10), if you are looking for the most surprising episode, this one fits well, many twists had been made, and again the episode gave hints, little revelations and the usual hints.

• *** Spoiler-free *** Extra-televisual experience, intense and well designed action scenes, immersive dark fantasy story, very convincing acting, masterful direction and writing

I've just seen a UFO ! Right on my TV. Sundown was an Unidentified Airing Episode. The very first minutes were so intense that it felt like watching a completely different show. Was it Lost or Found ? I'm not sure but it definitely succeeded in touching both my heart and soul. The story was so well written, weird and dark that it was like reading a Lovecraft short for the first time. It began with a dynamic fight between two characters and it was so well choreographed that it reminded me of Jackie Chan's best work. The stunt men and martial artists also did a very impressive job.

This time Sayid was featured and his arcs were both excellent but for once the island one was even better than the urban one. Better ? It's a miserable word to describe it because terms like awesome and amazing would be more appropriate. Awesomazing ? Definitely ! John Locke was smoking, more than in LA X and The Substitute, and even Kate dirty hotness couldn't rival with him. Terry O'Quinn dead calm acting was fascinating and disturbing. Naveen Andrews (Sayid) also did a very convincing job and Freckles was irresistible as always. Bobby Roth's direction was fierce and it seems he made his best to show the performers how much this episode was important to him. It was definitely pivotal and as surreal as the few twisted ideas I wrote at the end of my What Kate Does episode review. That's why I wasn't surprise to learn that Paul Zbyszewski wrote it because he also worked on Follow the Leader, an episode I consider by far the best of season 5. In fact he collaborated with Graham Roland, a new team member, who previously worked on Prison Break. Maybe that's why Sundown was so puzzling.

The ambiance was as frightening as in the season 1 pilot and it really seemed like the beginning of the end. The daylight scenes were already unpredictable and strained. But once they turned off the lights, the black order turned into a white chaos. A 15 ft high tyrannosaurus ripped everyone apart. Later Romero's zombies came to have a feast at the guests expense. It's on the cabin an ogre groaned but it was already too late because the Invasion of the Body Snatchers had already begun. To sum things up, it was The Constant the 6th and finale season needed to establish itself as the ultimate evolution of televisual madness.
  • Good vs. evil ... now the game is REALLY on !

Sad, really. I had hoped Sayid could fight the "infection", guess that's not an option now. "Team Jacob" and "Team Nemesis" are really falling into place now. On the way, we had some neat character moments, with Dogen's backstory and the relation between alter-Sayid and alter-Nadia, but nothing on par with last weeks' episodes. All in all, the flash-sideways were rather dull, if not the least interesting of them all yet ( we all knew how it would turn out, right ? and who cares about Keamy ? ). Fortunately, good acting from Naveen Andrews, Emilie de Ravin and Terry O'Quinn prevent the episode from being boring - that, and perhaps the most impressive monster attack of the whole show !
  • See you in another life Dogen

As Smokey makes an ultimatum to the people at the Temple, Dogen bets on what's left of Sayid's humanity as he asks him to kill the monster; he has to do it before it speaks so much as a word or it's already too late.

Problem is that no matter how noble the new reality's Sayid is, no matter how heroic as he confronts Keamy and Co once again, only this time to save his brother's family, no matter how much he feels he doesn't deserve Nadia; this Sayid is still infected...and he lets Locke speak which unravels a chain of events that ends up at sundown.

For the Others that don't escape must be slaughtered, for it's already too late when Claire learns the truth about Aaron, for the life in which Dogen has his son back must be lived on the new reality, for what once was Sayid Jarrah kills him before sundown. Now it's up to Ilana and the candidates.
  • "You'll be much safer here"

Last night episode was full of excitement and left me speechless all night after watching it.

First Ill start with Sayid Sideway, very emotional and captivating. I liked that they showed Keamy and also introduced us to Jin in this alternate life.

Now back to the island. Sayid confronts Dogen which tells him about the evil growing inside him.

Sayid trusting Dogen tries to Kill Bad-Locke. He doesnt dies but offers him to grant him whatever he wants = Nadia. At the end Sayid delivers a message:
    "Get out of the temple with a man(Bad-Locke), who is going out of the island Forever, or you will die at Sundown"

At the end of the episode the characters situations are this:
    Jin & Sawyer are at the camp. Bad-Locke, Sayid, Claire and Kate are going to the camp. Ben Linus stays at the temple. Miles, Ilana, Sun and Lapidus are escaping the temple the other way. Jack and Hurley are near the lighthouse with Jacob's Ghost. Richard is somewhere in the island.

Questions: How exactly was Dogen the one keeping Bad-Locke outside the temple? What does the baseball meant? Why Sayid made that drastic change of personality and became so EVIL? One thing that didnt make much sense: Well at the end Claire totally ignored Kate, knowing that Kate said before she raised Aaron... ( I guess she didnt believe her).

MAYOR Question why Kate Last name was not in the wall. Is she still a candidate because Jacob touch her or what?
    Who will be the chosen to become the next "Jacob"? Who will come to the island? How Bad-Locke is planing to get out of there? Does Sayid and Claire have a cure? how will this Alternate life will connect to the island?

Thx for reading :)
  • Great Episode. One of the best of the season if not of the series.

I dont know what part of this episode is the best. Dogen and lennon getting killed by sayid then ben looking scared when he saw what has happened was great. The flash-sideways have been kinda disappointing so far, they always had some shocking detail but no relation to the island. This is the first cliffhanger where we see Jin! Smokey cant die. I got a good laugh when he pulled the dagger out of him and said now why you go and do that for? Sayid's completely gone over to the Dark Side or is it the good side?? We find out Jacob brought Dogen to the island and seems to have imprisoned him there, Dogen and Lennon are gone, the Temple's been destroyed, and Unlocke has an army of followers. Ilana and her group have caught up to everyone. Now lets begin the season.
  • OHHHH MY SMOKE!!!

LAdies and Gentleman, this is the best tv show in the last 60 years. I want to think the differences between the first season and the last and its awesome!!! the things that now are happens are relationated with the first season. LOST ITS BIG!!!!
    Smokie!! the black smoke its the best of the modern tv. Terry Oquinn won my respect. This is too much.
    Now the lasttttt seasonn feelss in the blood!! this is good!! this is entertainment!! this is mystic!! This is LOST!!!

What happen with Kate?? Its badd and she will go with sawier now??

Sorry for my english, im argentine.
  • WOW

I know there are probably some things that I want to look back on and analyze this episode but right now I don't care what I missed; this was the best episode of the season thus far and maybe thus far in the series for me! (I know I MIGHT get some gripe about that statement but come on people this episode has got to be up there not counting season finales)

This episode was action-packed but people should not get carried away and call it that kind of episode. This hour hit on so many of the major themes of this series and did it in a way that is really continuing the plot of this season to steam-roll along. Good vs. Evil, Destiny/Fate vs. Free Will/Choice. Not only that but did you see the character development?
    Sayid, poor poor Sayid, has finally let the darkness within him take over. Claire as the maniac mom is quickly becoming one of the funnest characters of the season, and even Kate! who I've always loved but have seen the point of many Kate-haters, is now standing alone on her own two feet and seems the stronger for it! Now back to the action! Wow! The early Sayid and Dogen sequence was perfect and I was expecting that the Japanese character Dogen would sooner or later show off his stuff. Sayid's sword plunging into the chest of MIB I did not expect becuase I was seriously fooled by Dogen just like Sayid into thinking it could actually kill MIB. Of course if this were fact there is no way that Sayid kills the MIB and basically ends the season from just 6 episodes in. This episode seriously never stopped steam-rolling. The writers did a very good job of intertwining different threads of the season thus far and keeping that now single thread on track. And by the time we had reached the episode's end, and we get to see MIB carry out his promise from his ultimatum, this episode leaped to even greater heights. The sequence with Claire's overvoice singing "Catch a Falling Star" and Sayid, Kate, and Claire walking through the carnage of the Temple makes this episode one of the most memorable for me in the series thus far. Things are really starting to come together, even in the parallel timeline where many characters are beginning to interlock; pretty soon all there stories will start coming together. I'm really excited about where this season is going and because of that and other things stated above I gave this episode a 10. If you give this episode anything less than a 9.2 you are a really tough critic. This is an episode that LOST could possibly be nominated for in writing and many other things come Emmy time; with that said we haven't even seen the finale which I believe will be beyond special!
  • WHERE ARE THE 10's people?!?! that was by far the most heart pounding, suspensful and touching episode yet this season!! **SPOILERS AHEAD***

This episode truly set the mark for what's about to happen on the island, and off the island it seems as if there will be some very interesting twists and surprise appearances. On the island - good versus evil is OFFICIALLY brought to our attention. As per Dogen -jacob was good and "evil incarnate" is obviously evil. Sayid is under the spell of "EI" as well as Claire and now it's come down to the battle between the "good people" that're left - ben LOL, sun, frank, jack, hurley, miles (or atleast people that're not 'sick') versus those that chose the dark side (whether it was their choice or not). Is Dogen really dead? or is he going to become 'sick' too?Jack will become the next "jacob" and it's gonna be interesting to see which "good people' left are affected by "EI". WHERE'S SAWYER!?!?!?!?! Off the island - wow!! didn't see Keamy coming! and then literally BANG and he's gone!! i think we'll see pretty much every important character that died in Lost so far come back in one way or another - Charlie, boone, we saw already, .....Ecko :), libby, Daniele Rouseau, Abaddon (he was creepy but effective) and that eye-patch dude that didn't seem to wanna die, and the list goes on!! that would be just amazing and every lost fans dream final season. (OMG I get depressed thinking that Lost will actually be over :( , I truly believe that the off island story is going to take off to the level of 'heart-pounding' soon, and our beloved characters have to come together as a group somehow very soon. Are they coming back to the island? it'll be interesting to see, and where the heck did Richard Alpert run off to now? and who's the golden kid? man theres wayyy too many secrets still to be revealed, can't wait till next week, it's going to be a Ben-centric episode (dr.linus) !! (love those-emerson rocks) it'll be interesting to see off-island Locke and Ben interact and in what direction the off island happenings will take us!
  • Dogen vs. Sayid

A particularly strong Sayid-centric, Sundown hit some of Sayid's best emotional beats yet. One of the best things about this season of LOST, is that I am hanging on every moment of every scene, something I haven't really been doing since S4. The way information unfolds in the flash-sideways is such a treat for viewers, because it feels like everything that happens is a significant reveal. This week's parallel universe might not have been as fascinating as Locke's, or as notable as Jack's, but there were two scenes of particular interest. In Alterna-World, Sayid sort of relinquished his love Nadia to...his brother? How about that! He kills chickens for the kid, now he gives him his girl. What a spoiled sibling! Sayid was even willing to give his brother money to help with the debt he owes. The little kids, (the Dr. Jack Easter egg at the hospital) it was all nice, but the scene that really struck me was Sayid's statement that he "doesn't deserve" Nadia. Heavy stuff. I don't think there is a more tortured soul on this show. I was getting a Desmond/Penny vibe from the couple tonight, and I still really want things to work out for them.

The other scene that struck me was in the kitchen. Cooking with Keamy! It turns out this is the man Sayid's bro owes money to, and more than likely the person responsible for putting him in the hospital. It was fun seeing Sayid and Keamy face off again, and even better that Sayid got the drop on all them mo-fos! But it was nothing more than fan service really, and it cliffhangered with Sayid finding Jin stashed away. Can't wait to see what happens there.

On the island were a few more interesting face offs. Sayid and Dogen threw down (in probably the best Lost fight yet) and after initially banning Sayid, Dogen requested he go kill the "Locke-ness Monster".
    Everything with Smokey has had me on the edge of my seat (not fair that Terry O'Quinn just got to play the coolest character ever written for TV) and his confrontation with Sayid was no different. The Man in Black made a proposition for Sayid, and in a particular eye-raising moment, Sayid said the thing he wanted most died in his arms (Shannon!!). Has Sayid now made a deal with the devil once again for the sake of love? Fans will recall Jarrah basically selling his soul to work for Ben a couple of seasons ago. That is, if Sayid still has a soul left to sell...

Dogen believes Sayid would be better off dead and even his assignment to meeting Locke was supposed to end with the dead Iraqi. There is still a lot of mystery surrounding Sayid's resurrection, and Dogen acknowledges that something is wrong with the man- no more clear than in the final moments of the episode: the look on Sayid's face as he kills Dogen (after a touching recollection of how he came to be on the island) and rejoins Flocke speaks volumes...and scares the hell outta me.

Yeah, so Lockeness gave all the Others at The Temple an ultimatum: join me or die. If The man in black is promising freedom from the Island, I don't see the harm in it, really. But there still feels like there's something 'evil' about this entity, and there are those that chose to stay. What we get is glorious Smoke-filled mayhem, as the monster tears through the Temple, killing all he can catch. (if only he got his hands on turncoat Cindy!) This was an effective and somewhat terrifying scene, and I am left to wonder why and how is it that Dogen was able to protect them from this entity. In the b-story. Claire was captured by the Others, but Kate returned (her shirt seems tighter than I remembered), found Claire, and told her all about Aaron, much to the chagrin of Loony Littleton. I am really eager to see this play out, and is it wrong that I'm hoping one of them kills the other? (This season has my blood lust in overdrive.) Illana arrived to save who she could (starting to like her) and in what was kind of the only scene that was weird to me, Ben tried to save Sayid. But it was too late...

Locke's face seemed very satisfied and triumphant by ep's end; there may be nowhere left for anyone to hide now on this island. Team Jacob has Jack and Hurley, but team Esau has Sawyer, Claire, Sayid and... Kate? The way these two looked at each other, particularly Locke's grin fading, was interesting to me. I might be reading too much into that, but it seems as though maybe he doesn't want her with his group? Nevertheless, the black/white, good/evil, chess match happening between these two demi-gods, and the roles all of our castaways are playing in this match, is about as riveting a story as any Lost fan can ask for right now.
  • Slow starting, builds up and a big smokie ending.

Sayid on the island and Sayid in LA. The LA version meets Nadia but surprise, the relationship has changed. A few other known characters orbit sideways Sayid, it seems like they must all come together at some point. On the island Sayid goes back and forth with Dogen, people come and go from the temple. And then, after all the talk, something has to happen, the temple is broached and the Others get Locked, anybody still keeping a body count? And evil incarnate? Who is and who isn't we'll need to find out. A shake out episode, now the story can move ahead again.
  • A great Sayid episode, and a possible game-changer for the Survivors. (Spoilers as usual)

If one were to keep track of whether Jacob or Fake Locke is doing a better job in this "war," or whatever one would want to call it, I'd have to say that after this episode, Fake Locke should be given copious amounts of points. This episode was Sayid-centric, but at the same time, it never felt as if it was exclusively focused on him. We got a Kate/Claire reunion, some scenes with Miles and a surprising reunion between the Sun/Ben/Lapidus group and Kate/Miles etc., and we also got a glimpse at this Fake Locke's new army, which has quite a few new additions to it.

Let me just say this before anything else: this episode was INTENSE. The last couple of weeks have been pretty low-key in terms of action and fighting and people running around the island, looking for something to attack or kill. Instead, we've gotten contemplative scenes, with survivors having in-depth conversations with each other. But this episode was all about fighting, running away from giant smoke monsters, shooting people and did I say running? The fight scene between Dogen and Sayid at the beginning was perhaps the best fight scene the show has done up until this point, and it's a shame that Dogen and Lennon had to be killed off so soon. I really enjoyed Dogen's character.

The Sideways Universe actually had a little bit of tension flowing through it, which made it slightly better than the other ones we've seen so far. Not to say that I only like action scenes in television shows and hate character development; don't get me wrong, I don't want every show to be a 24. But Sayid's story had excellent build-up and a great payoff (Is that Keamy?! I think so!) and yet another surprise interaction between surviviors in the sideways universe. I'm still clueless as to what this sideways universe is and how it will connect with the show, but I have high hopes. I just hope they don't drop the ball with it, otherwise it'll feel like a huge waste of time.

As for the On-Island stuff, there's just too much going on in an episode to touch on everything in one review written an hour after it aired. Therefore, I'll do my best. Seeing Sayid take the same path as Claire was a bit strange, but in a good way. In the kind of way that only Lost can make you feel. I was really hoping he'd be able to resist Fake Locke, but unfortunately, it appears Fake Locke is too powerful at this point. He got into Sayid's head and now him and Claire both seem to be under Fake Locke's power. And also, this may just be me coming up with more crazy theories, but is it possible that Claire died in Season 4 after Keamy and his men blew up the Others' village, and that she's been under his control all this time? If so, that is some amazing planning. It appears that she may have died, and that Fake Locke, in the form of Christian, came to her and stole her away in the same way that Fake Locke did to Sayid this episode. It's very interesting to think of it that way. Also, it appears that Claire doesn't care much at all that Aaron is not there.. but she does care that Kate took him OFF of the Island. Is it just me, or does Claire and Fake Locke want Aaron for some sinister reason?

I've already heard some people saying (friends, family, online community) saying this was a bad episode of Lost, but I think that the action scenes and the fighting gets in the way of all the subtle little things sprinkled throughout each scene. I was absorbed the entire way through, and thinking back on last week's episode, as great as I thought it was at first, having watched it twice, it wasn't quite as great as I thought. That being said, I'm positive this episode will hold up on a second viewing. It was fast-paced, filled with plenty of action and had some awesome Fake Locke scenes.. And I'll admit, I cheered a little when Ben, Lapidus, Sun and Ilyana (probably not spelled right, but whatever) burst through the door to save Miles. Great timing on their part.. maybe too good of a timing? But hey, I won't nitpick.. Just a great episode of Lost.
  • Sayid goes all Sayid on some dudes

Sayid flashback episodes have always been action-packed, and tonight's no different as we saw the man from the Middle East kill people in the past and present. Plus Keamy made a cameo!

I still think this feels like just another season of Lost and not the ending that will leave all of the fans satisfied, but the ending montage with Locke/Smokey Robinson assembling his army was a great sight, reminiscent of the old battles between the others (or "utters" as Jin called them) and the passengers of Flight 815.

This episode had me thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Possibly the best of the season so far.
  • Sayid performs a task for Dogen; Claire enters the Temple to help out "Locke"; in the flash sideways, Sayid helps out his brother -- and experiences a much different relationship with Nadia than that of the original timeline.

Excellent episode. I really, REALLY enjoyed the final Sayid-centric hour of the Lost series.

First of all, the character of Kate has truly evolved. She was strong enough to be the viewers' anchor during the latter part of this episode. I didn't feel like I was watching weak, vulnerable, emotional Kate; she was likeable, bold, and as confused as any viewer during the most shocking moments of the hour. I was really impressed because, prior to this episode, I always thought of Kate as an accessory to Jack or Sawyer. In this episode, she was strong enough to carry herself. I kind of wish we had seen more of that in earlier seasons.

Sayid REALLY surprised me in this episode. I guess he is a bad guy now, but nothing is certain in the storyline of Lost. Claire also surprised me. I guess Smokey has big plans, and they involve the two of them to carry out some important work.

I will miss Hiroyuki Sanada's presence in the series, but I think his death was necessary because he was a tertiary character who was garnering a lot of screen time. Still, I think he's a great actor who I would enjoy watching in other projects.

The second half of this episode surprised me to no end, and really had me on the edge of my seat. Of every episode I have ever watched, I don't think Smokey ever put so much fear into me as this one LOL It ranks right up there with when Mr. Eko stared "it" down.

The set of the Temple was an integral part to the magnificence of the episode's ending. Set directors need to be recognized for the simple, yet pertinent designs of the Lost landscape. The Temple had a cagey, boxed-in feeling, and this added a lot of danger and fear to Smokey's tantrum. The moment was so gripping for viewers, and I love that.

I had a really strong feeling that Miles would die in this episode, but he survived. I still don't think he will survive the remainder of the series, though. When he separated from Kate during Smokey's Temple raid, my adrenaline spiked LOL! I guess we will see how his storyline ends, sooner or later.

This episode was very well done, and deserves a lot of praise. I can't wait to see what happens next!