Tabula Rasa

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 06, 2004 on ABC

• Good follow-up

The follow-up to the pilot of Lost proves to continue introducing the storyline at a pace that will soon become known as a Lost standard: have the episode revolve around one character, have a flashback of their life and slowly (sometimes painfully slow) let us learn more about the island. Coming into this season with prior knowledge about what will be happening, it's fun to watch how these characters used to be. This wasn't the best episode of the show by a mile, but it started off the way Lost would run for many seasons after.

Kate's plots never interested me all that much, and this episode is no exception. However, it did leave us intrigued.. what exactly did Kate do? This is something that would be held over our heads for at least a couple seasons until we finally find out.

One of the more interesting things is how we're subtly lead towards things. The way the episode ends, with a long focus on Locke's face with ominous music surrounding him.. well, let's just say it's heavy foreshadowing, even if the showrunners had no idea how Locke would turn out. It was just a strange scene and really makes me think that the writers have had this show completely planned out from day one.. sometimes, the connections are too much to pin it on coincidence.

A good episode.. not a great one, but it got the show jumpstarted.