Lost

The Beginning of the End

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 31, 2008 on ABC

• i m a big fan of lost and of jj, i was very disappointed with this episode. The future flashbacks are not cool, this episode doesnt answer anything, no trace of the black smoke or of the invisible monster, where are the others who are about to be invaded?

1.1
    this is the worst episode i have ever watched. The future fhaslbacks are not really good, they spoil every mistery about their future. You also understand that some people are able to leave the island while others remain there waiting for some help. You are led to believe that something is up with "not penny's boat" however in one scene there's someone saying " i am sorry jack we didnt come all with you" (away from the island). Many answers are not given: we dont know what happens to the black smoke or to the invisible monster. We dont know where the others are, we dont see anyone from the dharma centre. This episode has no thrills, maybe jj 's departure from the show has ruined it for good. I hope not.
  • Are you serious? Nothing happened in this episode!

1.6
    Naomi was dead at the end of last season, but turns out she's still alive, and dies again. Jack's pissed a Locke, and he's still pissed now. Charlie died in the last episode, and now everyone knows. BORING! The flashfowards were okay. They didn't reaveal anything, only compounded the questions and mysteries. The only reveal was that Jack's father was Jacob, or sitting in Jacob's chair. He's supposed to be dead, so maybe he has a twin, he's ghost, who knows, it seems very contrived and silly, plus I'm sick of his character, enough with Jack's Dad, sheesh. It's ridiculous that Ben hasn't been killed by Locke, Jack, or Sawyer, c'mon!
    I didn't think the show had any real drama or depth. It wasn't smart, funny, or suspenseful. Totally dissapointed and bored by it.
  • Over-hyped

Sure it's back, but the episode was sub-par. Only a couple minutes of worthwhile watching and it tended to be in the last 10 minutes of the episode. Am I the only one who feels you could have got the gist of the episode by watching the 2 minute trailer that had been playing incessantly in the week and a half leading up to this episode?

Most of the reviews seem to be a little generous, but maybe it's because it's the first episode back after 8 months. Hoping this show gets better really soon...otherwise not a lot of point in continuing to watch.
  • An Average episode in more then one way.

Just an average episode of Lost, average as in not the greatest episode and going at a steady pace (the usual more questions, less answers blah blah blah). Glad it wasn't a Jack flash-forward story but Hurley's wasn't all that great, was hoping it was Sawyer stepping out of the car causing mayhem with his "Celebrity status", I would've prefered Sawyer doing something Paris Hilton would do to get attention then Hurley going 'Britney'.

The Jack/Locke feud can only get better since Jack prepared to shoot him, well shoot him with a unloaded gun at least.

Hope it gets better and that some loose-ends are tied up before they trip over them or before we all get bored.
  • This didn't live up to the hype.

I was hoping that the season premiere would be good but this episode was okay. I don't know what I think about the flash forwards yet. I want to find out who all of the Oceanic six are. The audience already knows that Kate, Jack and Hugo are three of them. I am curious to find out who the other three are. One of the most far fetched parts of this episode involved Naomi. She had a knife thrown into her back by Locke but she was still able to create a false trail and climb up a tree to jump on Kate. The most emotional scene of the episode was when Hugo told Claire that Charley was dead. I thought that scene was very well done. Hopefully next week's episode will be better but I doubt it. The only reason why I continue to watch this show is to find out how it will end up ending.
  • The beginning of the end of a fine show.

7.7
    Well, that was a big letdown for my part at least.
    I'm getting seriously sick of not getting any real answers.
    The writers are always buying time, trusting that the strong fanbase will forgive them and keep eating up whatever crumbs they get.

I've always loved this show, especially the first season, but it's going downhill fast. This episode was in parts hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and quite boring. We deserved better after waiting for such a long time. The last season finale promised more than this. Will I start to hate the characters soon? I hope not, since they are the show's greatest asset.

Time to wrap it up guys, and I mean sooner rather than later.
  • Spoilforwards have destroyed this show. The blatant attempt to pander to L&O fans that need to have everything spoon fed to them, has ruined what was once a great show.

4.9
    The best example of my point is when Naomi put a knife to Kate's throat. Before flash forwards we would have been concerned. This show has killed major characters before (Boone, Shannon, Mr. Eko, Ana Lucia, Abbey, etc) but thanks to the spoilfowards we know that she leaves the island, so there was ZERO suspense in that scene. In fact, putting Kate, Jack or Hurley in peril will be extremely boring from now on, as we know they leave the island unharmed. Just as I predicted, the show is now about how they catch up to the awful spoilfowards & the action on the island is now boring.

I can't understand how anyone could complain about flashbacks. They told us about the characters' life before arriving on the island & how their actions on the island were influenced by their past decisions. More importantly, flashbacks reinforced the concept of life on the island being a new start for them. A new opportunity for living the kind of life they've always wanted (see: Kate, Jin, Michael, Walt). Instead we have stupid spoilforwards. All we need now is the stupid thunk thunk sound between scenes.

I'm all for a Hurley episode but it made no sense that Desmond did not tell Jack & the Losties that Charlie knew it wasn't penny's boat. That was unrealistic, so was Hurley throwing the walkie-talkie in the ocean, which was another stupid bit of writing. There were many more realistic methods of having the Losties split in two. Hurley's speech was not one of them.

The point of this show was always about character development & human interaction. People connecting & surviving on an island. That is why some people still are affected emotionally by what happens on the show. Charlie's death & Claire's knowledge of it was upsetting. The shot to the people connected to Charlie (Locke, sawyer, Desmond) added to the scene. The other good part was watching Jack pull the trigger on Locke, something that he would never have done before arriving on the island. He has truly become a leader (a shepherd) & it has been a slow process. People do not suddenly change over night. The realistic progression of all the characters becoming new people makes this show so engaging. That is what the show is about. Making the island mysterious was just so that there would be conflicts that further each character's personal journey.

Too many fans started watching the show when they heard about the mysteries & unanswered questions. Those people don't understand the show & are still complaining that they haven't gotten any answers, despite the spoilforwards. I'm guessing these people only read the 1st & last chapters of books they buy. Thanks to these people we have "The Oceanic 6," a lack of suspense & a new kind of show that panders to the intellectually small who want answers not story.
  • This is realy average episode

Story (4.2):
    The story once again just reise more questions snd didn't provide many answers.
    This story is preaty much about Hugo.
    Through the story we are watching flashback of what happend back on the island before they got rescued.
    We don't realy know jet what happend, but the story is sugesting that some people stay on the island, so for now it is not clear who get of that island and who didn't.

Production (3.8):
    I always like lost episodes because they are filmed in so many diferent places, with so many diferent characters.

I hoped fore more answers, but mabe next episodes will reveal more.
    I hope that this serie don't det spun out.
  • Finally, I feel like I am watching LOST again!

With the third season, to me, being the weakest of them all, I have to say that I am very surprised and happy with the pilot episodes of season four. Last year's episode started with a bang and ended on a harsh sour note. This year, it started like any episode of LOST but filled us in a lot that was going on. With an easy to follow "lets reference back to last season" storyline, I felt very in the game and not really needing to stop and ask, "Wait, huh?" Every second. This is the first time the flash forward is really "used" in a regular episode and I am happy to say that it definitely does not disappoint (if thats the reason you wanted to see this season). Finally, I feel like I am watching LOST again!
  • With "The Beginning Of The End", season four of LOST has started off with a loud bang; or is that a bump in the night? We all have our favorite moments from the episode, but for me, it would definitely have to be what I call "Hurley's Triple Nightmare!"

Hurley's Triple Nightmare!

With "The Beginning Of The End", season four of ABC's highly popular series "LOST" has definitely started off with a loud bang; or should I say a bump in the night? We all have our favorite moments from the episode, but for me personally, it would definitely have to be what I have come to refer to as "Hurley's Triple Nightmare!".

The "nightmare" consists of three consecutive scenes which occur when dear Hurley gets lost while on a nighttime trek through the jungle with James Sawyer's team. After roaming around lost for a while, Hurley suddenly comes upon Jacob's cabin. What?! Hurley can now see it too?! What does this signify for Ben Linus and John Locke? Is Hurley now the Special One?

It has become apparent that Ben can no longer hear Jacob's voice, or even find his cabin for that matter. As we saw in the season three episode, "The Man Behind The Curtain", Ben had his last conversation with Jacob the night that he, (Ben), took John Locke to see Jacob, and Jacob became extremely upset with Ben, even throwing him against the wall. All evidence seems to point to the fact that it was during that event that the mantle was passed to John Locke. Who can possibly forget Jacob's eerie plea to John of "Help me!"?

Sadly, after being such a man of faith and wisdom, and a character who I have greatly enjoyed, it seems that John Locke has failed Jacob as well. Not only has John resorted to force and violence in order to promote his personal agenda, (all the while believing in his heart that he is doing what is best for everyone), but at the time when his strong faith was needed the most, he clearly doubted Jacob's presence. It seems that this failure on Locke's part has resulted in Jacob abandoning John, just as he did with Ben. This is evidenced by the fact that Locke can no longer find Jacob's cabin. Obviously realizing that he has been forsaken by Jacob, and feeling frustrated and humiliated at the same time, Locke has now resorted to even more force and violence in order to get his way, and I don't believe that Jacob condones this kind of behavior.

But returning to dear Hurley, overcoming his initial fear, he decides to approach Jacob's cabin, and peers inside through a broken window; probably the very same window that Jacob broke in "The Man Behind The Curtain" episode. The last person that Hurley expected to see was Jack's father, Christian Shephard, yet there he is in Jacob's cabin, nonchalantly rocking away in a chair, half-obscured by the shadows.

Barely over that shock, Hurley is totally freaked out when an unknown face suddenly peers right back at him through the broken window. Is it possible that Hurley has just had an unexpected encounter with Jacob himself? Folks, place your bets!

Poor Hurley, totally spooked, decides that he has seen enough, and so he makes off like he is trying to break the world record for the fifty-yard dash. Fearful that he might be pursued, he turns around; but instead of seeing Jacob's cabin, he is met by a wall of jungle vegetation. Jacob's cabin has disappeared; or has it?

Turning back around, Hurley can hardly believe his eyes. Jacob's cabin has reappeared right in front of him! Worse yet, as if the eerie whispering voices aren't nerve-racking enough, it seems that Hurley is being given a personal invitation to come in and join the nighttime party, as the front door of Jacob's cabin slowly creaks open, revealing a golden light within.

"Thanks, but no thanks!" thinks Hurley. He wants it all to just be a bad dream; so he closes his eyes tightly and wishes it away. When he opens them again, the cabin is gone, and all he sees is an open field semi-obscured by the dark! Does this mean that Hurley too has failed his test of faith? If so, the question is, who will Jacob test next? Will he find a worthy partner to help him?

That was one freaky episode, and the suspense level of the show continues to rise as we slowly make our way towards the season finale. Along the way, we are being introduced to new characters, new plot twists, and new dangers. We are also starting to get more answers, but along with those answers come more questions. But did we really expect any less? After all, that is the LOST tradition. -- Lostifyed
  • Very very interesting ep. we now know how many people survive the island but it brings up many new ones like why all of the sudden Hurley is cursed w/ visions.

7.7
    To explain I think he was cursed when Jacob (who supposedly loves us all?) see's that Hurley can see him, this makes Hurley also a threat to Ben. It really is a slap in the face when they bring back the two people who stood out in the finale who got killed come back briefly. Naomi and Charlie, I will start w/ Charlie its horrible to think Charlie's ring the family erloom is left at Aarons abandoned crib, but come to find out he died for nothing not to mention Rose adding insult to injury when she advised Claire to give him some when he got back made me cringe, for the only reason is that he truly deserved some for all the stuff he did for her. Naomi was killed off way too quick she was beutiful and her accent was like listening to what Angels sound like but she is suppossedly a bad guy fine BIG SURPRISE there. My main question is how is she hit in the spine w/ a long hunting knife, shoots blood out of her mouth only to keel over, then later crawl up run through the jungle after pulling the knife out of her back then running through the jungle after making a trail then climb up a tree, only to land on Kate put a knife to her throat which I would of done b/c I would b suspiciouse of the survivors motives aswell, for the attack on her by one of them, not to mention the lack of diversity , but how was she able to do this only to get the phone back make a quick call then die it was almost hilariouse b/c it was soooo predictable. I think Bens power is to resurrect the dead b/c he was looking at Naomi's body before she vanished. Its funny they didnt show Claire's reaction much when she learned of Charlie's death b/c of possibly two factors she is a pour actress, and the character didnt really like him! There I said it The actress who plays Claire was like I cant keep kissing this guy either my sexy butt goes or he goes kinda like Hurley's crazy girl from season 2 (they never did explain how she went from a Mental institute to London or what ever to give Desmond a boat.)But I truly believe this is what happend even funnier fact Dominic dates the actress who plays Kate in real life he took her from a struggling actress doing sexy chat line commercials which still come on and u can see it if it's late and your lucky enough, she is a successful actress who's character outlives her boyfriends character on the show I am sure she'll dump him soon now that she doesnt need him anymore being rich and famouse now,time will only tell.All in all an excellent ep. that builds more questions and hopefully by the end of this season we will finally get some difinitive answers to hold us fans until the long dragged out strike ends only God knows when that will b. P.S. they kicked Naomi's character off because they cant have a dark woman on the show who doesnt have appearent Jungle Fever who in my mind is more attractive than the beloved Kate I mean I rrreally hate her character now that she survives the island why she lives when better people die I dont know other than the fact she kisses the butt of every one who works on the show and is well beloved. I bet more than half of the people working behind the scenes are like in love w/ her married or not but she sure can shmooze as to what I saw in the special features on the season 3 box set.
  • Hurley is still seeing things. We know that these people coming are not good still. We know that the Losties are split . The only thing new is Hurley sees Jacob.

Outside of Hurley seeing Jacob we find very little out. That he gets off the island, I guess. Everything else we knew 8 months ago. Lots of drawn out recognition of what we already knew. I love the mystery of the show, but sometimes things can be so long developing. I might be biased, but I had waited so long for Charlie to be off the show that I didn't want a half of the show being devoted to hugging about Charlie and walking in the woods. One positive was that they returned Kate to the realm of being a kick arse.
  • Well... they're finally back, my fever is down but I can't help but feeling something is missing... *May contain spoilers*

It's Lost, so it's good, but this episode felt like a regular episode from another tv series.... I didn't feel it as the Lost we're used to... I missed the eye shot at the beginning... it's a trade mark!!!

How did Desmond get back to the surface so quick? Didn't he use the oxygen tanks? what happened there?; Naomi "waking up" just to reconfigure the satellite thingy?; Jack again trusting Kate and making mistakes!... The most entertaining moments were Hurley's hallucinations (Jacob's cabin, CHARLIE!!!, the fish tank -or whatever that was- on the police station...) I guess I'll have to watch it again, to find some traces of the Lost I love, full of mysteries and surprises... It felt a little bit predictable and customized to non regular viewers... rating pressure? I hope they don't sacrifice the story for some of those who so desperately want answers... I can wait them until 2010 if they still give me the Lost I fell in love with...
  • Lost returns for it's fourth season. This was well worth the wait, exciting premiere

After so long of waiting, the new season finally arrived.

This episode continued from where it left off with Jack and the survivors succeeding with contacting Naomi's boat, but she's definitely not who she said she was, so what exactly will happen when her boat lands onto the island?

As for the flash forwards, I'm not too keen on them because we're getting answers that come directly from after they have been rescued and it does kind of feel weird. I'll probably get used to it soon. I just hope we get some more flashbacks soon.

Each episode usually has a sad part and we all know what that was this time. It was Hugo having to tell Claire the awful truth about Charlie's death and by this stage, Locke and Jack were against each other forming groups to follow Locke or Jack. Somehow I don't know which one of the two was right but yeah, it's hard to figure out. The scene where Ana-Lucia was mentioned was silly as Hugo lied to the cop, but again, more suspense.

What was more great was the fact that Naomi was still alive when the call came through. She decided to go with Kate and let them be rescued. Wonderful.

Then Hugo's sights in the jungle, Jacob? Wow...

By the time the episode ended, I couldn't believe it was over.. already. It was an instant classic, brilliant. Well, we have to wait until next week for the continuation.

Overall, a fine beginning to the new season and it was definitely worth the wait.
  • On the island, our Losties have to picksides. Off the island, Hurley's going crazy again. A fine example who to do a good season opener.

Every season of Lost starts with a bang. There was the plane crash in the pilot, the look inside the hatch in season two, and of course the first look into the camp of the others in the premiere of the third season. Season four starts off with Hurley, a character who hardly seemed to be a key to the events in Lost, revealing how many survivors will get off the island. His "flashes" in this eisode are throughout exciting and keep you glued to the screen. After watching this episode, I'm sure Hurleys days as a sidekick of the main characters are gone.
    On the island we get right back into the action. While Jack tries everything to contact the rescue-team, Locke is convinced that they will bring no good to the island. After two season of disagreement the two leaders finally part the Losties into two camps.

"the beginning of the end" is how e season opener should be done. When you're finished watching it, you know Lost is back....and it's better than ever!
  • The season 4 Premiere was definitely one of the best premiere's ever, and continues on the amazing season 3 finale.

We see a flash forward about Hurley and as time passes by, I realise that the flash forward is before the one in season 3 finale. It reveals that there were 6 who left the Island. Kate, Jack and Hurley are 3 of them but who are the others? It seems that Hurley is the one who lost his mind first. He wanted to be institutionalized. Jack seems to be back to his normal self. But what made me realise it is before the flash forward in season 3 finale is that Jack told Hurley that they will never go back to the island and that he might grow a bear. In the season 3 finale flash forward Jack has a beard and wants to do everything he can to go back to the island.

On the Island Hurley sees Jacob. We get a clear view of him and I have a strong idea of who Jacob is. The survivors are split in two ... some go with Jack to be "rescued" and others believe Locke that the rescuers aren't what they say they are.
  • The survivors of Oceanic flight 815 are split into two groups. Locke's side and Jack's side.

Season four starts with a crash...litterally. No it's not another plane crash, this time it's a car crash and who was in that car ?...HUGO !!!. We see Hugo flashforwards.In these flashforwards : Hugo has a long car chase before he crashes in an alley and is taken by the police. He is questionned by a police man who says he knew Ana Lucia but when he asks Hurley if he knew her, Hurley answered with a no. Then the cop shows Hurley a tape of him in the supermarket where he saw something and ran off. Hurley does not want to say what that something was so the cop suggests that he is left alone to see the tape but when that happens, Hurley imagines that the glass in the police room area was breaking and the room was filling with water so Hugo starts screaming and then he is put in a mental institute again. There he is visited by a man who claims to be from the Oceanic company but Hugo doubts that and the man starts asking questions like "are they alive ?" so Hugo starts shouting and calling for help. The weird experiences continue when Hurley gets a visit from Charlie. Charlie also says wierd things like " They need you ! " but Hurley thinks its all in his head. The end of Hurley's flashforwards are of Jack visiting him in the mental institute and playing basketball with him and then Jack mentions something about telling them. Whatever that means. Hurley's flashforwards were filled wirth secrets and really mysterious things. When Hurley was captured by the police in the beggining of the episode he says something about him being part of the oceanic six. Hurley's flashforwards raised many questions which makes me more excited about watching the upcoming episode more than ever ! Now to the actual storyline : Everyone is happy that they are going to get rescued even though Naomi is dead but in a while Naomi isn't there laying on the floor anymore. Turns out she wan't dead and she escaped so Jack goes looking for her following the trail of blood she left from her injury but turns out she fooled him by leaving a fake trail. Kate also found a track which was the right traone ck which led her to Naomi. When Kate gets to where Naomi is, Naomi jumps of the tree and falls on Kate. Then Naomi fiercly gets a hold of Kate and has a knife put to her throat. Kate starts assuring Naomi that she would never hurt her so Naomi fixes the phone device and then dies. On the beach : Desmond arives. He tells everyone about the boat and everyone starts asking questions but Hurley interrupts with a scream " Where is Charlie ?! ". Desomond says he's sorry and that Charlie is dead. Everyone gets depressed and head towards the radio tower. Soon both groups meet right after Hurley gets lost and finds his way again with Locke right there with him. Then Locke and Hurley make a speech about the people on the boat. The scene where Hurley tells Claire about Charlie was really touching. Both groups split ways. We have Locke,Claire,Hurley,Alex,Ben,Karl and Saywer on one side. Jack,Kate,Rose,Burnard,Sun,Jin and Juliet on another side. Then a man jumps on to the island right infront of Kate and Jack and the episode ends. Brilliant,exciting, mysterious, emotional and everything else that makes Lost the best Drama show out there right now. Favortie character from this episode : Hurley !! I loved his flashforwards. Favorite scene from this episode : When Jack attacks Locke and actually tries to shoot him with the gun but the gun is unloaded. Best looking character in this episode : Claire !! Even when she's crying, she still looked fantastic. Great stuff !!
  • Probably the best premiere since season 1.

Looking back over this exciting episode I can't help think that there is going to be so much to talk about. We are started off with the new flash forward mechanic that proves to be even more exciting when you know what is going on from the start. Even in the opening scene we are given a huge sense of mystery from this though and by the end you are left with so many questions, but still strangely satisfied with the answers you are given. "Who are the last 3 of the Oceanic 6?" "How do they, and only they, escape?" "Why does everyone start to regret their desicion to leave?" "Why can Hurley see Jacob, even better than John Locke himself?" "Who are the "rescuers"?" While none of these massive questions seem even close to being answered, you aren't left feeling irritaed and impatient for the answers as you did at the start of season 3. Overall, outstanding episode and hopefully a glimpse of what is to come!
  • LOST is back it is out of character but it is LOST and it was perfect.

This is my first ever review so if you wanted to read a good one i'd probably suggest not this one lol well anyways..........They thought they had met the enemy. They thought they had seen evil. They thought wrong. As the new season begins, the survivors feel that rescue is close at hand, but they don't know whether or not to believe Charlie's final message that the people claiming to liberate them are not who they seem to be. As unlikely alliances are formed, those they thought could be trusted may turn against them, as the enemy of their enemy becomes their friend. But who can be trusted? Is rescue really as close as it seems? LOST is back even though this episode to me seemed like a completely differnt show from LOST all together i really enjoyed it and thought that it was exactly what they needed to get the show back on track...... Why Hurley why count down and make Charlie disappear we want charlie bak we dont want him to vanish we want him back GO CHARLIE u legend...... My guess on the Oceanic 6 and it will be 100% correct is Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Jin & Sun also Desmond will probably get off but wont be counted in the oceanic 6 because he wasnt on the plane and thats all folks GO LOST CANT WAIT IT SHOULD BE ON EVERY NIGHT LOL
  • Lost is back and this season starting really great!!

okay,before i write my review,i just want to say that season 2 and 3 is not as great as season 1.
    (and yeah,season 2 is the most boring season ever!)

but after i saw this season,i'm starting lo love this shows again!
    this season,finally,they getting high hopes to be rescue by naomi team.but it's just the beginning of the new mystery.
    jack believe that naomi really wants to rescue them,and on the other side,john locke didn't.he thinks that they should be on the island.
    so now they are two groups.one is the group that still want to get in the rescue with jack and the other group,lead by john,is the group that didn't want to be rescued.
    jack group : kate,juliet,sayid,bernard,rose,sun,jin.
    john group : hurley,sawyer (i can't believe he's on john side!),claire,ben,danielle,and alex.

and finally jack finds daniel,one of the rescue team member.is he on the good side or bad side?let's just wait and see guys!
  • perfect episode, beautful more i was think and sadness for charly

that what i want from the first
    eposide what i will think on it all the night, try to know any thing new
    let me cry very cry for charly and claier
    its a perfect eposide what i can't forget
    and whae i try to think on the past and how was this island new for thim and in the end they was expact they know every thing but it still want thim and called them,
    and jac he is still don't have a bair, and long hair. now herliy think on the island , jac not
    and what was the secret?
    and why it was secret?
    and when we will know this secret?
    cus i learn from this series i won't know the answer , but i will know it in the next series but i can't wait to anther season!!!!
  • Nothing happened?

Absolutely nothing happened in this episode that we didn't knew/saw already.
    Yey we got few "flash forwards" explaining absolutely nothing,
    and rest were the scened on the island where nothing happened, this is the actual reconstruction of the whole episode omitting the flash forwards: Jack is full of crap as usual > People walk around on the beach> oh no, Charlie is dead > more walking around > Naomi runs to the forest > more walking > Naomi dead > Lock comes back > half of people go with Lock half stay with Jack > Jack sad > some bearded guy from the ship para shoots on the island > Fin.
  • After many months of waiting Lost had a lot to live up to. Fortunately for the most part it did.

Last season's opening scene annoyed me as it was pretty much the same as the opening of season 2. Someone we hadn't yet met doing relatively mundane tasks whilst listening to music all in an attempt to make you think it wasn't on the island when it was perfectly describes both openings. This episode didn't do that thankfully. It did trick us into thinking we were on the island, but only for a few seconds, and they were brilliant! The shot held on the pile of fruit just long enough to make me say "what's with the fruit" just as it exploded to give the reveal that it was off island. It was actually quite similar to the start of "The Other 48 days" when they held on the shot of the beach just long enough that the shock of the tail of the plane crashing into the water really hit home. But I mean that as a compliment, not a complaint.

So not only were we off island, but it was a flashforward. This was quickly clarified by Jack recognising who was in the car. I didn't like the fact that the first main character we saw was Jack, as that made me think it was going to be a Jack episode. Regardless of the usual standard of Jack's flashbacks (I know his flashforward was different class) it would've meant that he'd get two episodes in a row, which I didn't like the idea of. Of course it wasn't about him, but about the person in the car who I was certain was going to be Kate. In fact the first shot we got of them was a ponytail and so it kept up the illusion, allowing for the great reveal of it actually being Hurley.

Back on the island everyone was celebrating as they thought they were about to be rescued. This allowed for some very happy and funny scenes, which is always nice. Claire's joke with Sun and her shock at Rose were both nice little moments, as was Hurley saying he'll be free. That was before everything started going wrong! This was where the episode lost me a little. Don't get me wrong, it was all still good and very enthralling, but there's something about where the show's going that's a bit unnerving.

I'm really glad the story's moving forward but I hope it's not at the expense of the characterisation. In the flashforward Hurley chooses to go back into the mental institution. I can see the logic, sort of, but as he seemed so happy when he got out before it seems odd that he'd go right back in. There's most likely a lot more too it, but that's kind of the problem. Now that we've had three full seasons it's gotten to the point where we know these characters really well as well as what they've been through. The flashforwards should be more about who they've become after their experiences on the island, but here it just felt like there was too much missing and Hurley isn't the same guy we knew.

I'm also not a huge fan of how Locke seems to be turning out. I can fully understand why he wants to stay on the island, but as one of the heroes of the show this episode made him seem more like a villain to me. He seemed to manipulate Hurley into going with him by playing on his friendship with Charlie, which is more Ben-like than Locke. Also at the end of season three he didn't shoot Jack; the reason for this I thought was that he couldn't bring himself to kill a good person despite the danger it meant for the island. Here however this is shown not to be the case. It would appear that he didn't shoot Jack simply because there were no bullets in the gun, implying he would've killed him if he could have (although it does explain why he threw a knife at Naomi instead of shot her). Also is no one going to ask about how he survived being shot in the gut?

There was still plenty of great stuff here too though. Charlie appearing to Hurley was great for several reasons. It was a great scene and, although he's technically not missed an episode, it was great to see Charlie back. I was genuinely surprised to see him because I really didn't think he'd be back so soon! Also his name wasn't in the guest star credits (on second viewing I noticed he was still credited as a regular). So was he some aberration of the island or made up by Hurley? Either way it was Dominic Monaghan and he was great!

There's also the issue of Hurley seeming to find Jacob's hut. From the few seconds of screentime it got, regardless of anything else it told me one thing: the weird s**t that happens on the island will probably be a big part of season 4. That's all good; a season premiere is meant to be about setting up the new season so that all worked great! Also I liked the way the helicopter was clearly being affected by the island's magnetism as it dropped the newcomer off. All very cool.

This episode felt a lot like a transitional episode to me in a thematic sense. It main purpose seemed to be to fully get people used to the idea of flashforwards as a staple of the show. I feel that despite a few discomforts it succeeded task. Overall it was a quality ode that was well written and has me very excited about the rest of the season.

We have to go back! We have to go back! The most famous words uttered in Lost history, possibly, and after all those months we finally got to see how things turn out. Well, it was a good way to start the season, but we have to hope that things improve from year 3 of Lost. They just did too many things (people in cages, seriously?) and deviated it too far from the plot. Season 4 needs to show us why these people are here and explain how they will get home, and why they have to go back.

Good start, let's hope the season is great.
  • Strong Season Premiere!!!!!

Plot Details/Objective - » The complication was Set in the Season Finale, so this time was about management Jack and Co timing. Take for Example the sudden Naomi revival, just a distraction for Jack and CO, until the climax arrived, When Jack and Locke get their fight and Everyone decide in which side they want to be. Hurley Flashback was a Smart Move by the writers, since Hurley was (besides Desmond) Charlie Best Friend. His Flash Forward's is the highlight of this episode, since only one thing happened with the tribe – Division. Now someone new Arrived in the Island.

What I Like/Disliked -» Hurley Flashbacks was the Highlights of this episodes. The tribe division was nice and Hurley finding the Supposed Jacob Cabin was a nice Hint.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10))Strong, not has strong like Season 2 and 3 which was impressive, still, the presentation of this episode is like other season premiere of Lost, information and surprises.

Action -» None. Wasn´t Really necessary. Maybe you can count Jack fight with Locke?

Adventure -» (8/10). Hurley finding the Jacob Supposed Cabin.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). Charlie Dead was more sad than this, but the reunion was great, even if they were separated for a little time. Hurley speech was beautiful. His way of Showing emotions was touching.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Hard to say, maybe when you want to Know what Jack will do with Locke.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). There are the shocking Scene when Charlie appear to Hurley, simply shocking. The ending have a surprise, not unexpected.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Nothing bad here, very attractive since Charlie dead could change everything. What I didn´t like was Naomi unnecessary disappearance.

Climax -» (8/10). Is always great to see when the tribe have their conflict and from which side they will choose.
    Cliffhanger/Ending -» (7/10). Nothing for other world, just something to feed the audience until the next episode.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (9/10). Hurley flash Forward´s was with some hints. Only six escaped from the Island. There is a strange Man after Hurley. Jack is ok in the future, so what happened to him later is unknown. Hurley regrets to join Locke? Hurley find Jacob Cabin with Jack´s Father inside and with someone that appear to be Locke?

Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The Jacob Cabin. What Hurley said to Jack in the Future. Time and Scenes Management -» (7/10). Naomi problem could be avoided. All Hurley Scenes was very well placed.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). I think that Hurley scenes in the future hade everything.

Strong Season Premiere, but I don´t Rate it 9 yet, until I see the next episodes!!!
  • Good Episode

I thought that this episode was good, but I was a little disappointed. I think that I was disappointed because I was really looking forward to this episode and it wasn't how I thought it would be. But this episode did have some very good things in it. I liked the flashforward with Hugo and seeing that he got off the island. Alot of questions were raised during this episode including who are all of the Oceanic 6, and who else was in Jacob's cabin after Hugo saw the eye look up at him. I also wonder how did Hurley get off of the island even though he went with Locke and not with Jack and Kate. Overall this was a good episode and I can't wait until the next episode of this show.
  • Lives up to its title, and then some

Considering that all three previous seasons have been focused on Jack, it's somewhat surprising that Season 4 isn't centered around him. But then again, we're doing flashforwards now, and we know what Jack's future holds, so maybe there's some logic to in. (And it's not like this episode gives us nothing. In the opening teaser, we see Jack watching the news before going out. He has orange juice and spikes it with vodka. When he learns a minute before us whose involved in the high speed car chase that he's hearing about, he says: "Damn." Somehow, it doesn't sound like the voice of a concerned friend.)

But even if the episode didn't focus on Jack, Hurley would not seem like the obvious choice for a follow up. But the writers again know exactly what they're doing. On the island, Hurley has taken on the role of everyman, but as the series has unfolded, his role seems to be more critical. The numbers that led him to Australia in the first place seemed meaningless--- until we saw that they were on the hatch door and were the numbers we entered prior to pushing the button. There was talk that everything that happened on this island might have been a hallucination until 'Dave' in Season 2, which would seem to have repudiated that idea. The VW van that he ended up repairing in Season 3's 'Tricia Tanaka is Dead' seemed to be something of a throwaway, but as we just saw, Hurley used the van to take care of the Others and emerge a hero. Add to this the fact that Hurley was closest to Charlie of everything else on the island, it makes a certain amount of sense that we focus on him.

It is therefore somewhat sad when we the teaser ends and we see the man that has led LAPD through a high speed chase is Hurley, and the first words out of his mouth are "I'm one of the Oceanic 6!" (It's also a little hard to believe that Hurley's behavior was, by itself, enough to merit all the attention. Maybe there are answers we don't see.) Hurley then goes from the police to the mental institution again, convinced that he has gone crazy because he has seen Charlie again.

But then maybe Hurley was always prepared for this. In the opening minutes, he feels free for the first time on this series. His money is gone, he's saved the day, Charlie's alive. So--- he does a cannonball right into the ocean. The expression on his face is one of pure joy, and it takes us a moment to place it because--- well, no one's ever really looked happy on this island. And the minute he emerges from the sea, everything goes straight to hell. Charlie is dead, the people on the freighter aren't there to save them, there's just more madness ahead. It's probably the most gut wrenching moment so far.

Then we get signs that there's more to Hurley than meets the eye again. The people on the beach go to meet up with Jack, and as they hike through the woods, Hurley gets separated, and while he's away from them, he sees the cabin. He walks right up to it, understandably puzzled and sees everything Locke saw. Only this time, there's someone visible in the rocking chair, and though he doesn't know it, it's Christian Shephard. He sees something in the cabin, and runs screaming--- but he can't get away from it for some reason. In the flashforward, he has a bizarre encounter with Charlie, who seems to be telling him that he needs to go back to the island. We're still not sure why Hurley is seeing him, but this is the first of many dead people he will see in the second half of the series. Is it possible Hurley has a far greater connection to this island than even he know? That's one of the questions the series has to answer as it closes in on the end.

As fascinating as this, there's more going on than just Hurley. When we left our friends at the radio tower, Jack had just made contact. Now Locke has disappeared into the underbrush, bad enough, but a few moments later Naomi, who we're pretty sure got killed, manages to stagger off into the jungle. Then it seems that Naomi has left behind a dummy trail, but Jack, continuing his path of denial, refuses to admit that this is a possibility. And once again demonstrating that she'll never be able to listen to him, Kate goes into the jungle after her, and takes the SAT phone with her. It's very telling that even though Jack has just led his people to what seems to be certain rescue, she still doesn't have faith that he's making the right choice. Eventually, the two groups end up meeting, and Locke reemerges.. Quite frankly, no one's happy to see him. But now Jack's rage again Locke goes to a whole new level. They've always been violent, but now Jack completely snaps, grabbing Locke's gun, and pulling the trigger---- only to find it's empty. Suddenly, it's a whole new ballgame. Locke may be a cold-blooded killer, but the only reason Jack isn't was is because there were no bullets left.

All through his leadership, Jack has refused to accept that the island is anything other than an island. When the hatch was discovered, he refused to see pushing the button as anything other than an exercise--- he was wrong. He spent a good part of the first two seasons trying to defend the survivors against the Others, then in Season 3, he made a Faustian deal with Ben to get off the island--- Locke may have thwarted this attempt to escape, but he was wrong to trust Ben. And right now, it seems absurd to believe that the people on the freighter are anything other than their salvation. But given what we saw Charlie do in his last moments, there's a very good chance that's he wrong again. And now he refuses to believe that in extremis Naomi would do anything other than leave a false trail---- wrong again. Jack refuses to accept anything he can't understand, so Locke's idea that the island is so much more than an island repulses him. The irony is, we've seen Jack's future, and he now seems to have completely come around to Locke's point of view. We just don't know why yet.

When the group reunites not far from the fuselage of the plane crash, Locke makes his case, and tells the people they have to find rescue, and that he's taking them back into the lion's den--- the barracks where the Others had holed up in Season 3. When he makes his pitch, Hurley then tells his reasons for going with Locke, and a real divide emerges. Claire and Aaron join them (she believes in Charlie) Rousseau, Alex and Karl follow (well, they have no reason to leave the island). Then Ben says he wants to with Locke (even though, theoretically he shouldn't have a choice, but then again, Jack wants to deal with him even less than Locke) The biggest shocker is Sawyer. Considering all the effort that eh put into this (and that he tried so hard to get off the island in Season 1), it's kind of astounding, but then again considering what we saw of him in the last couple of episodes, maybe Sawyer doesn't think there's anything out there worth it for him anymore.

Equally surprising is who goes with Jack and Kate. Rose, who said she'd never leave the island, elects to go with Jack because Locke is a murderer. Bernard goes with her, so do Jin, Sun, and Sayid. But the most telling person is Desmond. He got the message from Charlie that Penny was not on the freighter, and yet he elects to go with them. Why? Probably for the same reason, Juliet goes with them--- she's been on this island far longer than she wanted to be, and right now, any escape looks good to her.

We don't know yet what's going to happen, but it's pretty clear that it will be epic. And yet, in the final flash Hurley apologizes to Jack for electing to go with Locke. What happened in between? And what kind of story are the Oceanic 6 telling to the rest of the world? Hurley is interviewed by Mike, the cop we saw Ana Lucia partnered with in her flashbacks. He asks about Ana when he's interrogating her, and Hurley simply says he doesn't know her. What kind of facade are they putting up? And why is it serious enough for Jack to be worried? There are also a buttload more questions--- who is this Matthew Abaddon who comes to ask ever Hurley when he's institutionalized? Who are the other members of the Oceanic 6? And who is that mysterious man who jumps out of a helicopter onto the island asking for Jack?

'The Beginning of the End' is both literally and figuratively an accurate title for this episode. If nothing else, it will be the beginning of the real brilliance of Jorge Garcia as an actor, as Hurley will be taken to his limits as a man. But for some of the characters on the island, this isn't even the beginning of the end, but really the end of the beginning.
    My score: 9
  • Three seasons past, three seasons future. The Beginning of the End of Lost starts here!

After the game changing thrill ride that was the Season 3 finale, Through the Looking Glass, arguably the best episode the show has produced [at least of what I have seen so far, at the time of writing - I am still playing catch-up]. Unfortunately, for me, i am a huge spoiler junkie and I can't seem to shake it off. Season 5 has just reached its conclusion here in the UK and I promised myself that I wouldn't spoil the finale until I watched it. I went against my promise. Then again that could be said about the rest of Season 4 and 5 together. The interesting thing, however, when you know what essentially happens, in the future, is that you can watch the show calmly analysing how events led to things further down the line and how things would get even more complicated than they are right now. When "Through the Looking Glass" first aired the entire Lost community erupted onto the forums and message boards the world over, furiously speculating over the unexpected first flashforward device, not to mention Naomi's mysterious boat people, Charlie's death and the demise of the Others.
    It was a compelling chapter in the Lost saga, which couldn't have come at a better time. Halfway through Season 3 the series was in the doldrums, but somehow, the writers pulled it back, with some fantastic stories. The final four of the series, in particular, were arguably some of the best episodes the series had produced so far. Following that reboost of creative energy could have been a tough task, but "The Beginning of the End" does an admirable job of being the most appropriate continuation of the story. Some fans would grumble that it was a little low key, but remember, the very first episode aside, every premiere episode has been quite low key. In fact this Season 4 premiere reminds me alot like the Season 2 premiere, "Man of Science, Man of Faith". Much of the storyline was shot at night, flaming torches included and alot of the events were quite creepy. Instead of visions of Walt though you had Jacob's cabin and visions of Christian Shepherd and possibly the infamous Jacob himself, who gets a second of screen time as his eye pops into frame freaking out Hurley and the audience. Another nice parrallel between the Season 2 and Season 4 premiere is that two seasons on and nothing has really changed in the survivors camp, when things get tense. Locke and Jack continue to bivker, although in this episode it has escaulated into violence and murderous intent. All the survivors remain paranoid, yet at the same time, seemingly unprepared and clueless as to what to do or how to react to the problems that surround them.
    Another parrallel to times gone past was how the survivors camp was split, just like it was when some survivors went to live in the caves and the rest remained on the beach. Again this proves that the characters haven't changed too much. They may have changed as individuals but as a team they still resort to the same decisions. Surprisingly, the first centric episode of the season goes to Hurley. The first three seasons all began with Jack and we kind of got used to that fact, so much so as people immediately assumed it was to be a Jack episode during the months beforehand. Seeing as how the final episode of S3 was Jack-centric, it seemed unfair for Jack to have another one, unless they were to have only Jack and Kate leave the island. So now we know that others did survive and leave the Island, despite what ever danger awaits them from the offshore freighter. Some might find the flashforward device a bit like reading spoilers in a way. Now you know that Hurley gets off the island at some point, we cannot be allowed to get concerned if Hurley ends up in a "life and death" situation during the continuing island story. Prior to the end of Season 4 people were worried that the rest of the show would be about linking up the closing moments of Season 3's flashforward with the current island events of this episode and it would go roughly linear in both the island and the flashforwards. The writers would over time show us that that would not be the case and that the flashforwards would not be the intended conclusion of the show.
    If the flashforwards are spoilery to some extent they netherless allow for an interest on how events on the island lead to the rescue and that's how the enjoyment should remain. Hurley's flashforward tells us little more about the current psychology of the characters. Hurley, like Jack, later on, wants to return to the island, in order to save the remaining people on the island, who couldn't get off. The fact that not everyone leaves the island, is also a way to prove that the flashforward device will not become a spoiler. the question as to who will become a member of the so called "Oceanic Six" would be the hot debate for many during the first half of the season. On reflection it might have been nice if we didn't know who all of them were so soon, to keep the speculations up for the remainder of the season. One of the more interesting parts of Hurley's forward-story, was the introduction of the shadowy, Matthew Abbadon, whose identity and purpose would not be revealed until Season 5, although speculation would prove to be correct.
    Abbadon's presence, would seem to suggest that even off the island, the survivors are not safe, and that their celebrity status has warrented them unwanted attention. Though, not everyone was happy, I liked that we didn't get the Freighter Folk thrown at us from the get-go. We needed a set-up from the beginning of the season, an episode to get us back into the show gently, following such a mind-bending finale and an 8-month wait for new episodes. It felt like a good old fashioned Lost episode, something that was needed before things would evolve into something very different.
    A decent beginning to a show nearing closer to its conclusion.
  • Flashforward ep with Hurley in the center of attention.

Until this ep I was soooo convinced that Charlie isn't dead, or at least I hoped so til today. But now I'm not that sure anymore. I cried a lot when Hurley told Claire about Charlies death. They were my fav couple at Lost and now Claire and Aaron are alone. I'm still confused about the whole "Locke is right, Jack is wrong"-thing. All the time it seemed like the people coming now on the island are the evil ones and then Hurley says in the Flashforward that he should have listen to Jack instead of Locke and that is confusing me totally. So I'm looking forward to see the next ep.
  • Welcome to Season 4

After a very long wait LOST is back, the creators promised us more answer, but hold your horses, as we're accustomened, LOST reveals it's answers in such a way that us the views have grown to be so patient for and fond of. This episode lets you know a few more details then the season 3 finale. Overal well written, leaves you wanting more of season 4, oh what a season it's going to be. Nice performances and *spoiler aler* we find out that Hurley regrets going with Locke, ends up back in a psychward, some crazy black man is out to get him, and nice little appearance by Charlie (RIP). Great starter for season 4...
< 1 2 3 4