Lost

The Beginning of the End

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 31, 2008 on ABC

• This episode sets up one very important piece of information...

There are still people on the island, and their safety is in the hands of those who made it off. As long as they can keep quiet.

So yeah, it's been a long wait. All I wanted was to be sucked right back in. The first episode of this new season did that. There were no lulls and the hour flew. Sometimes when the wait is so long delusions of granduer can occur upon watching, just because it's feels good to finally get that fix. Well I taped it and watched it twice. I'm absolutely positive it was genuinely gratifying, warranting a sincere 10 rating. It was actually better than I thought it would be, and I certainly was sucked in from the get go.

Now that this 34 year old man is done gushing like a 14 year old girl, let's review...

Post-island Hurley's a pretty popular nutjob. He has lots of visitors. The creepy "attorney" who worked for Oceanic Airlines visits Hurley for one reason. He demands to know "are they still alive?".

Hurley's next visitor reminds him of something seemingly very important. "You know that they need you Hurley!" insists an imaginary Charlie.

In the end we see Jack checking up on Hugo after learning that he had been in trouble. Hurley sniffs out why Jack is really there. He's checking to see if Hurley "was gonna tell".

So okay, it's important that he keeps a tight lip.

The "rescuers" are bad people, involved in some high level conspiracy. Something must happen that gives the "Oceanic Six" leverage. They have the means to condemn this group of baddies, so an agreement is reached and their lives are spared.

Hurley is on the verge of breaching this agreement by drawing to much attention to himself. In the flash forward we see two sides intervene (Abadon {the Attorney} and Jack), both acting in their own best interest. Two sides in the flashforward and two sides on the island, a subtle forshadowing worth noting.

Locke tribe is still on the island, and they are in danger. Hurley is the first to realize this, and as we saw in last season's finale, Jack will come to realize this soon. Remember Jack's exclamation "We have to go back!", well as it turns out it was he who echoes Hurley sentiment.

Some afterthoughts...

I've always been a big supporter of Jack, but the scene where he tries to kill Locke left a sour taste in my mouth. It was actually nice to see Jack humbled in that scene after learning about Charlie.

Jack did pay his respects in his own way though. It was a nice moment when he and Kate leaned and stared into the cockpit. She asks "You thinking about Charlie?". He responds "Feels like a hundred years ago that we came out here together". As happenstance would have it, being there caused them to reflect on their fallen comrade. Nice scene.

Can't wait till next week.
  • Lives up to the season finale.

I was a bit afriad that the season premiere might not live up to the hype or the season finale like in season 3's case. But my fear was invalid.

This episode was incredible. Very different from the first 3 premiers, but that doesn't mean that it's any worse. It's now my favourite season premiere. If an episode makes you have chills constantly you know it's pretty damn good.

The opening wasn't as "WTF" as in S2 or S3, but it was definitely more revealant to the plot itself. And despite the fact it wasn't as shocking, it definitely was pretty damn surprising, and an excellent way to kick off the episode.

Hurley's flashbacks were always either fillers or light hearted stories. But it seems that his flashforwards are right the opposite. He has hard time dealing with Charlie's death as he sees him in visions just like he did with Dave. It seems that he feels guilty for something. Probably has to do something with what Jack said to Kate in the season finale "I am sick of lying".

It was also nice to see Jack in the flashforward all tidy and organized. I'm really looking forward finding out why'd he suddenly become so stressed out...

The flashforward overall was great. It introduced the "Oceanic 6" which most likely refers to the 6 people that survived. Obviously, Kate, Jack and Hurley is part of the 6. Who are the other 3, I've no idea.

The island story was even better. I thought Jack and Locke coming face to face again was long awaited. The best scene for me was Jack shooting Locke with the empty gun: if it was loaded, he'd done it which in my opinion shows how desperate Jack is. I liked how Charlie turned out to be the impact character. His death literally split the survivors. LockeTribe and JackTribe. I really loved Hurley's speech about Charlie's sacrifice. While the episode was mostly strong adventure wise, we had some great mystery with Jacob... Hurley somehow gets lost and ends up in his shack. Well we saw Jacob's chair, and a dark figure in it who might just be Christian Shephard. I can't comment on this really, I'm not a big theorist.

Naomi comes back from death just to confront Kate. It was interesting that even when Naomi was on her death she helped the survivors. Is she really evil? I don't think so... and who's her sister she was so worried about? The episode ends with one of the freighter people arriving on the island. Not a cliffhanger but definitely makes you want to watch the next episode RIGHT NOW. Overall, an exciting fast paced ride with alot of adventure and heart touching scenes. Lost season 4 is shaping up to be just as good as the first 3. Just let the strike end, please.
  • Great premiere, major turning point for the series.

With the writer’s strike leaving prime time a barren wasteland of reality TV and scripted shows running out of their completed episodes, “Lost” couldn’t have come sooner. Even with the abridged season (eight episodes were completed before, but that may change with the rumors of a resolution coming), this premiere was just what we needed to cure the strike “Blahs”. Of course, this episode had some heavy expectations going with it. Most critics and fans praised the season three finale, and the twist of the flash-forward had fans guessing the show’s next move ever since. This device could’ve been a major disaster after the first attempt. However, the series has done a great job so far using the flash forward to add a new layer to the series.

Unlike the previous two premieres, this episode features the whole cast, whereas previous season would’ve likely had an episode on the beach, another by the radio tower, Looking Glass, etc. The Pilot did something similar. Considering the major reveals of flash forwards along with the inevitable departure of several major characters from the island, it made sense to go this route again. Perhaps because of their agreement for 48 episodes, they don’t have the need to stretch it out into three episodes. It certainly helps the episode. Jorge Garcia is the most underrated actor on “Lost”. Hurley could’ve easily been nothing more than “the fat guy”, bumbling around the island with tuba accompaniment. However, this is far from Garcia’s and the writers’ portrayal of the character, especially in this episode, where he really gets to shine. Like Jack in the finale, Hurley has a lot of range in this episode, going from that euphoric cannonball to tearfully informing Claire of Charlie’s fate. He’s absolutely fantastic.

Chronologically, the flash-forward takes place sometime before Jack’s flash-forward in the third season finale. Jack is starting to dabble in alcoholism, mixing vodka with his morning orange juice, but he’s hasn’t been popping painkillers like they’re M&Ms. He later has a throwaway line about growing a beard. His attitude is approaching the nadir in “Through the Looking Glass”. Jack seems willing to accept, or keep to himself, whatever deal they made (much like Kate still was in the finale), whereas Hurley is plagued with guilt over his apparent betrayal of Charlie’s memory. An apparent vision of him at a convenience store causes him to embark on a major car chase (in the vehicle he wanted to build with his dad, no less) another image (with Charlie’s hand saying “They need you”) results in his recommitment to the institution.

This episode has the first mentioning of the Oceanic Six, the nickname of those who got off the island. Considering their snappy nickname, the six have become celebrities for surviving what the rest of the world thought was a doomed flight of no survivors. Jack, Kate (assuming her record was expunged) and now Hurley are among those “saved”. Who the other three are is anyone’s guess, since it wasn’t just the people who stayed with Jack.

The next phase of discussion is what this means for those not on the plane like Juliet, Ben or Desmond. Despite that, I wouldn’t discount any of them not being one of the Oceanic Six. Of those three, it seems most likely to be Juliet. One interesting theory I’ve read involves Juliet taking Libby’s identity (assuming Libby had no one who cared about her). That could finally explain who Libby was, a promise the producers have been making since the beginning of last season.

The Oceanic Six immediately dashes the idea that the person in the coffin was one of them. Considering the culture’s obsession with celebrity and their demises, there would be at least a lot of paparazzi hanging around any funeral arrangements.

The scene in the interrogation room offers some more insight to elements Jack alluded to in the last season finale. When questioned by Ana-Lucia’s old partner, a nice call back, Hurley denies ever knowing her. Obviously the writers picked Ana-Lucia as someone to deny because she died long before Jack made contact with the freighter. Whoever brought the Oceanic Six back to the main land must’ve bargained with them that they had to stick to a script where only those six survived. The big question for that is why?

It appears some people back home know. Hurley’s visitor, Matthew Abbadon (anagram = what bad boat men) has rightfully been the subject of a lot of speculation. His initial creepiness could point towards him being involved with the people on the freighter, checking in on Hurley to make sure he isn’t talking. That’s a reasonable move considering Hurley’s institutionalization. He also could be someone tied to Penny’s operation, trying to find the island through the six. Whatever it is, I want to see more of Abbadon, if only because I’ve enjoyed Lance Reddick on “The Wire”.

This story plays along Hurley following the promise of rescue ruined by the loss of Charlie, who warned them of their new arrivals. Hurley’s triumphant cannonball is a microcosm of the episode, as this is the last bit of true happiness he’s going to get for a long time. Most of the cast is having fun and smiling more than they have up to this point, but that is eventually destroyed (their “cannonball” moment is when the beach crew rejoins the main group just before Hurley tells Claire Charlie died). The episode serves to dash all the hope or good feelings the castaways had going in as things are about to be plunged into darkness. It’s reminiscent of Ben wanting to give Kate something nice to hang on to before their imprisonment officially began (which feels awfully anticlimactic now).

Hurley’s encounter with Jacob’s cabin may be setting up elements for his story or explaining elements we’ve already seen. Hurley apparently sees Jacob, which is a big deal. Previously it’s been believed that it would take some deep communion with the island to do that. However, Hurley’s at best been avoiding the mysteries of the island as they connect to the numbers (initially I thought that’s what Hurley was running from seeing the numbers on a lotto ticket, the source of his wealth in the first place). His use of the numbers could be why Jacob chose to reach him on the island. Perhaps Jacob manifested off the island as Charlie to convince him that return to the island is necessary. Ben’s implied that Jacob can leave the island, as he claims that Jacob cured Rachel’s cancer.

The image of Christian sitting in the cabin with Jacob recalls the final mobisode “So It Begins”. In it, Christian (or something resembling Christian) encounters Vincent in the jungle after the crash. “Christian” then convinces the dog to find Jack and set him on his way, as he has “work to do”. Christian’s body has been a major loose end from the fifth episode, so perhaps reintroducing it in this episode and mobisode may be setting us up for an answer in the near future.

Back at the radio tower, Jack is triumphant, albeit still fixated on Locke following his stabbing of Naomi. Some theorized this action is what turns the freight crew against the castaways, but that may not be the case. That’s certainly the way she sees it shortly before attacking Kate and dying.

Naomi pulls a Mikhail-esque comeback, rising from her knife wound to hide in the jungle. Some have wondered why would she die after surviving a machete blow in the back if she survived (and fully recover within days) a punctured lung back in “Catch-22”. One can look to the producers’ explanation that what kind of person you are determines how you are healed. It’s similar to how Eko stared down the smoke monster one episode, but is killed by it in the next season. The machete, much like the hatch explosion triggered her darker side and that prevented the wound from healing in time.

Despite being beaten, tied up, humiliated and losing all his status within his group, Ben’s spirit is unbroken. His one-liners, including asking permission to go with Locke, are terrific. He has some experience with this as we saw in season two: no matter what his position is, he’s always trying to figure out how to exploit his situation for his advantage. One has to wonder if his status will change with the castaways when the agenda of the people on the freighter becomes clear.

Those heading to The Barracks all have easily explainable motives. Locke’s motives have been clear for some time. Hurley’s are the centerpiece of the episode. It’ll be interesting to see what he meant when he apologized to Jack for siding with Locke (originally Hurley told off both Jack and Locke, but the Locke part was cut). Claire was going to side with Charlie as Hurley did. Rousseau wasn’t going back even if the warnings were wrong, so Alex and Karl would be reasonable accessories for her. I could imagine Sawyer going either way, because he is in the mindset of every man for himself rather than live together, die alone. He’s probably the likeliest to bail when things go bad, which likely considering the sonic fence isn’t helpful when you have helicopters.

While it may be expected that those on the beach who heard Desmond’s warning would want to side with staying away from those on the freighter, it’s understandable why some stay behind. We know that the new arrivals are bad news, but the “Not Penny’s Boat” message is vague enough to allow interpretation. For all we know, most of the castaways don’t know who Penny is, at least judging by Charlie not knowing her in “Catch-22”. Also, they’ve been on the island long enough to accept any rescue boat, and they don’t have reason to believe it besides objections from the duplicitous Ben.

It may be hard to believe, but this is the first time Juliet and Locke have had a scene together. Considering her history with Jack, Locke’s reputation and her desire to get off the island at all costs, she’d side with Jack.

Sayid has had at best a contentious relationship with Locke and considering Locke’s behavior Sayid has swung towards Jack. I’m prone to believing Sayid is one of the Six, but that is more a hunch.

Of course, Bernard will only go where Rose goes. Considering Rose and Locke’s bond over being healed and their reluctance to leave, that they went such different directions hopefully will be explored.

I’m a bit surprised that Desmond would stay with Jack considering he was with Charlie in his final moments and bonded with him throughout the third season, but maybe there’s residual resentment over the hatch or it’s another element of his cowardice.

For the rest besides Jack, Sun’s a no-brainer, as is Jin: Sun doesn’t want to die during the pregnancy as nine of the Others have and Jin will side with his wife. However, Sun could always stay, have her baby and not die as the women in The Others have.

Probably the one that is slightly off is Kate. Perhaps this is due to errors in developing her character, but she has a history of running and avoiding settling down. She also seems to ignore the fact that she’s still wanted for murder and will have to either face that fact or run. Siding with Jack explains her motivation, but not enough is given to the consequences of her rescue.

Regardless, the split between Team Locke and Team Jack was intense. It’s been building up for some time and it boils over in this episode. The fact that Jack pulled the trigger on Locke is more telling than anything. Jack didn’t expect anyone to go with Locke, much less several prominent members. With the castaways divided, the conflict is rife not even taking into account Daniel, the parachutist at the end of the episode.

This was the second best season premiere to date (behind “The Pilot” which is saying something). The episode manages to take the lead of the flash-forward and run with it for maximum effect, establishing a new layer of mysteries for the characters (where will they go) and island. The agreement the producers made seems to have tightened their pacing and resolve. Things are about to get really ugly.
  • The episode starts with a guy getting himself a glass of orange juice (and maybe vodka!) and for a couple of minutes we're left wondering who this guy is...

...then it zooms in on him, and it's JACK! I couldn't help thinking "Oh no, not ANOTHER Jack episode!". He's a great character and all, but the two hour season three finale was a Jack episode too and I thought it was about time someone else got the attention.

Well my dissapointment was shortlived as we actually have a Hurley episode! Jack was watching the news and it was showing a police chase and after recognising the car Jack knew who they were chasing… camera zoomed in on the chase and it was Hurley! When the police arrested him he shouted out "Don't you know who I am, I'm one of the Oceanic 6!" - This was clearly a flash forward, (and it's pretty clear to me that flash forwards are the way to go in the future of Lost episodes!) but Oceanic 6?! These leaves me wondering, who are the 6 who left the Island and why couldn't they all leave?! This is obviously going to be unanswered for a good while yet… Anyway, Hurley had began seeing visions of his dead friend Charlie, who we all know drowned trying to save the Losties. When Charlie was speaking to him at the Mental Hospital I couldn't help wondering if Charlie was really dead and that some time-looping stuff had gone on in between the Island and now… but when Hurley counted to five and Charlie dissapeared it became clear it was a figment of Hurley's imagination. Although the last message Charlie told Hurley was something about saving "them".

Later on in the episode Jack comes to visit Hurley in the Mental Hospital and Jack mentioned that he might grow a beard, this clearly suggests that these events happened before the Jack flash forward in Through the Looking Glass. Clearly sane in this episode, just what has happened to Jack to turn him into the alcholic, drug-addicted mess, need-to-go-back mess between this episode and the Season three finale?

I can't help wondering if Lost is opening a whole load of new questions and forgetting to answer the ones we've been waiting three years to find out - BUT that being said, that's what I love about Lost and this episode was pure genious! I can't wait until next weeks episode!

My review and more can be found at www.lost-isle.net
  • Amazing episode...loaded with story, and new perspective on how we'll learn more about our favorite characters, and good character exposition, especially...

Like all the great episodes, this one answered many questions, and of course introduced many more. Anyone who tuned in to have all their questions answered in this episode doesn't really understand what Lost is about. In fact, this was probably the most eventful and revealing season premiere yet (with the exception of the pilot episode). Some episodes are more story driven, and some are more character driven, and this was clearly a "story" episode...still some character revelations, as well.

Some Reveals: there's an "Oceanic 6": seemingly only 6 castaways who get off the island; there appears to be other castaways who were left behind on the island; the Oceanic 6 appear to be lying about themselves being the only survivors.

New questions: who are the other three of the Oceanic 6? What could the "rescuers" (whoever they are, it's not yet 100% clear it's even the freighter people) have said/done to convince the 6 to leave behind their friends and lie about it? Could people's lives be at stake if they reveal the truth? And what happens with whoever is left on the island - do they join the others, or some new Locke "tribe"? And whose eye did Hurley see in Jacob's cabin? I've read that a couple people said they saw Christian Shephard in Jacob's cabin, but having watched it in slow motion a couple times, I have not seen anything even remotely resembling that? By the way, what's up with that picture of the dog in the cabin - that's twice they went out of the way to focus on it, even just briefly. Also, who visited the mental institution to see Hurley - he knows something about the poeple on the island, but has questions (so not with freighter people), and isn't with Oceanic?

Character exposition: Hurley and Jack. The Hurley character exposition was straight-forward, as Hurley's character tends to be. For whatever reason, he agreed to lie about what happened on the island, and the guilt is getting to him, hence his Charlie visions. Back on the island, he had gotten more serious when finding out his good friend died. Several characters have lost friends on the island, but Hurley (arguably) has had the toughest losses - his love interest (Libby) and his best freind (Charlie), and within Lost's timeline, just a matter of weeks apart. But nothing shocking about Hurley's emotions/actions.

Jack's evolution is interesting, though. Certainly, in the ff, it's interesting to see him trying to protect the secret, knowing he will eventually become so obsessed with unravelling it. But the on-island transitions are revealing. Jack is becoming more obsessive, and more absolute - both traits of Locke and Ben, perhaps moreso Ben. His willingness to shoot Locke in cold blood exposes a darker side, one even Sayid and Sawyer are uncomfrotable with (telling, considering their lack of credentials as "moral police"). But it appears more of Jack exposing his true self, less him changing. We've seen an obsessed Jack in the past, if not one committed to absolutism. Since the journey of the survivors has been so much about the opportunity for redemption, and either embracing it or rejecting it, Jack seems more and more in the category of someone not changing, not learning from the mistakes of his past. Sure, he learns tactical lessons about surviving on the island, but as a person, has he really changed for the better. He's been the one to make the tough decisions, perhaps eothers to explore their own evolution, but disallowing himself from true introspection. He was so obsessed with being the fixer and finding rescue that he just ignored Charlie's warning, and his unwillingness to "let it go", as his father would advise, fed his obsessive anger to want to kill Locke in cold blood. I am as intrigued as ever to see the journey of Jack's character - and what convices him to go from keeping the island secret in the future to being obsessed with getting back (could it be that he eventually finds out that one of the poeple he left behind was his sister Claire, perhaps the breaking point of his guilt?).

Lost is back in a big way. With a patchwork of puzzle pieces from the present and future (and likely a spattering of the past still) being filled in piece by piece, the mystery of the island will probably unravel a good deal this season, and this episode was an exciting sign of things to come.
  • Totally worth the 8 month wait!

Since I watch this show alone, let me start off by finally saying to someone...Holy ****, Lost is back!

I won't give anything away besides that they did a brilliant job with the flash forward. By far Hurley's best episode. Everything they did in that episode just flowed so well, big step up from Tale of Two Cities. As pumped as I am about today, it makes me a little bit angry that unless some miracle happens there will only be 7 more episodes...oh well

Thank you Lost for finally giving me something to watch on TV.

Lost is back...and better than ever!
  • Brilliant episode.

After waiting almost a year for a new episode, I was worried that Lost wouldn't live up to expectations, but I was wrong. This episode was amazing in every way.
    10 times better than the season 3 opener, and it looks like Lost is back at its best.
    The flashforwards were brilliant, with all this talk about the Oceanic 6.
    Charlie made another appearance, even if he was just a figure of Hurley's imagination... or was he?
    The scene between Hurley & Claire created a lump in my throat. I dont know what else to say, this episode was a classic. Brilliant, and exactly why I watch this show.
  • Wow! (Don't read if you haven't seen the episode!)

I know it's weird, but I felt completely tense through this whole thing! Maybe it was waiting for this episode for eight months, but watching it seemed almost surreal! I am thoroughly mad though, because my station just decided to have a weekly test of their emergency broadcast...right in the beginning...TWICE! Within two minutes of each other! I can't believe it, I totally did not even see the begninning! I shouldn't be so invested in televsion. Anyway. Onto the review.

Are flashforwards going to be the theme now? I think that would be awesome. These flash forwards were very effective, leading you to believe that something totally awful is going to happen. And you know it will. The Oceanic 6? Does that mean only six get off?

I can't wait to see what happens next. Every season premiere seems like a different show, but then I get used to it and end up loving it even more than the last season...this is without a doubt the best series on televison. Can't wait to enjoy eight straight, uninterupted weeks of it!
  • Lost finds it's roots again.

What made this special for me, was how much it both continued the style of the S3 finale, with the flashforward and the epic atmosphere of close danger, it in the same way felt nostalgic and really reminded me of a seasen 1 episode.

Lost keeps on creating these mysteries, but i have a feeling that they will from now on only build on those mysteries and solve them for us one by one. For instance they didn't split the stories into different episodes and waste a couple of episodes, they instead showed us the complete story and they quickly united the team(though they splitted again). I'm quite certain that there wont be time for stupid fillers.

Another great thing was the choise of the centric. Instead of going with the same old more "important" characters, they choose to take a semi character like Hurley and make an incredible flashforward out of it. This shows that Lost is a character driven show and is not about Jack being a leader for example. Not all of the characters had their moments but there were bits and pieces for each person. I hope that it stays with the idea of every people having equal shine.

The one thing i liked the most in the flashforward wasn't Hurley being crazy or Jack's visit, nor Charlies visit, but Matthew Abbadon visit. I dont know the actor, but he really pulled off the term creppy and mysterius. I hope we see a lot more to him.

And then the episode ended with the most nostalgic, memoriable scene of Lost history, not the Jeremy Davies scene, but the one right before. Seing Jack and Kate there were their first adventure took place made me so happy. Now all i gotta say is Lost is back, and cant wait for the upcoming thursdays.
  • Very interesting

SO pleased to have Lost back, the greatest show on earth. Slightly disappointed with the way it started, perhaps they wanted to go in a new direction but I've loved the eye shots in the previous premieres. Hurely was fantastic and the OCEANIC SIX! line was great. Not sure I like Charlie instantly being back in it, even if he is dead, as I don't like the idea that alot of this is in Hurley's mind. Whilst it is interesting to think that some of it may not actually be going on, that would be a real disappointment if at the end of it they say "and it was all a dream!!"

Very sad when Hurley told Claire about Charlie but even that I thought perhaps could have been done better. I think I would have preferred it to have been done in a different way, i'm not sure how but that part really felt like it was in a studio somewhere. Anyway, good stuff and so excited for the rest of the show....
  • A thrilling return!

It's been several months since the end of the third season, and much has happened in the meantime. "Lost" is still meant to be completed over the course of 48 remaining episodes, but the writers' strike has thrown a wrench in the scheduling and production. Even so, there is reason to be pleased. The story will be completed, one way or another.

This episode is clearly the beginning of a new phase for the story, building off the surprising flash-forward in the third season finale "Through the Looking Glass", one of the shining moments of the series to date. By virtue of its placement in the scheme of things, there were high expectations. The situation appeared to be straightforward: rescue was on the way, and it was not a good thing for everyone.

Surprisingly, the premiere doesn't focus on Jack, but in retrospect, that makes sense. Jack was the focus of "Through the Looking Glass", and while the writers could have continued with his story in the flash-forward, it wouldn't have been the right move. This was about the division in the tribe and the man who gives Locke enough credibility to make that division happen. Finally, Hurley gets the chance to shine at a critical moment.

Hurley has never been the leader, but his support has always been meaningful. Hurley has never broken trust with anyone else in the tribe, and he always seems to have everyone's best interests at heart. That could be why he ultimately feels guilty about his role in the division. Clearly his choice to follow Locke has unforeseen consequences, and he carries that burden in the future.

Based on Hurley's flash-forward, a general scenario for the rescue emerges. Out of all the survivors, only six make it off the island. They have agreed, probably prior to leaving the island, not to reveal that anyone else survived. There are a few possible reasons for that. The most unlikely reason is that everyone else is, in fact, now dead. More likely is the possibility that some of the survivors were killed, prompting the decision to claim the rest were dead for their own protection. However, the high percentage play is the notion that the vast majority of the remaining survivors were led into hiding, with the "Oceanic 6" pledging to protect them.

Of course, it's far more complicated than that. Hurley legitimized Locke as a separatist leader, the "man of faith" willing to give up everything for the interests of the island. It's not support for Locke's pseudo-religious fanaticism, but a bid for survival. Several of the survivors remain with Jack in the hopes of being rescued. Hurley later regrets going with Locke, which suggests some tragic turn of events soon after the division. Obviously, if Hurley is later in the "Oceanic 6", the current division is not maintained as a long-term status quo.

This helps to place Jack's decline, as seen in "Through the Looking Glass", in context. Hurley's breakdown must take place relatively soon after the rescue. Jack is more or less stable; it probably takes a while for the guilt and self-loathing to take its toll. It's reasonable to assume that one of the other "Oceanic 6" was the "man in the coffin", but it's too early to predict who else will leave the island beyond Jack, Kate, and Hurley.

The focus on Hurley also serves to remind the audience that nothing on the island is what it seems. Hurley finds Jacob's cabin, with Locke inside, and the effect seems to confirm that time and space don't quite work the same there. (That could very well be related to the intense electromagnetic field around the island.) Jacob appears to be similar to Jack's father, which connects very nicely with episodes like "White Rabbit".

This leads to more of the usual conjecture. People have seen apparitions on the island since the beginning. It seems to be related to the Cerberus security system ("the smoke monster"). They could be one and the same, but what if Cerberus is something that was wild and uncontrolled, and Jacob found a way to harness it? Perhaps the apparitions have always been Jacob, and Cerberus is related but distinct from it. That would certainly start connecting the dots. There's even a possibility that Charlie's "ghost" was related as well.

As important as Hurley has become, especially in the wake of Charlie's death, Sayid is also stepping back out of the background into prominence. It's sometimes hard to remember that Sayid was once a viable leader for the entire group, or that his influence was vital during the original struggle between Jack and Sawyer during the first season. For one of the iconic figures within the leadership (essentially, the tribal sheriff), he's been remarkably silent.

Now, by taking sides with Jack, he takes on a new role. The sides are interesting, to say the least. Locke, the tribal shaman priest, has the support of "natives" Danielle and Ben, Sawyer, the occasional merchant prince, and Hurley, who might as well be mayor and leads the "We Believe Charlie" faction. It's no wonder most of the survivors took Locke's side. The real question is how long the pro-Charlie faction will remain on Locke's side, when they see how Ben pulls his strings. However one puts it, Locke remains the religious leader, focused on survival and destiny, and he holds most of the cards.

Jack, the warrior chief, is backed by Sayid, the aforementioned sheriff, and they lead the more pragmatic faction. As such, they have no mystical reason to stay on the island, and no reason to fear the rescue. Desmond serves as the group's analogue to Locke, which explains why the third season was building him up as a potential Locke replacement, and his devotion to getting back to Penny makes his inclusion with this group logical. They also have the bulk of the medical staff in Jack and Juliet. Kate has never been well-defined in terms of her role, so it's hard to say what she brings to the table. This is a much smaller group at the moment, but that could quickly change if the pro-Charlie faction gets squirrelly about Locke's motivations.

For now, the rescuers could be Hanso, the Widmores, the heirs of Dharma, or all of the above. Naomi has a sister, which will likely become important. The rescuers are still having trouble getting personnel on the island (as evidenced by the wobbly helicopter), so events will have time to unfold. How Jack and the rest of the "Oceanic 6" come to the conclusion that they need to claim they were the only survivors of the crash itself is clearly the arc for the season.
  • We are back, my friends. I miss writing these silly little reviews, so here we go.

What I am most impressed with is how the show with such a basic premise can be so drastically different from one season to another. The first season was about adjusting to life on the island, the second was about the hatch and Dharma, the third was about the Others, and now we have some other Others coming from helicopters. Everybody wondered if the flash-forward gimmick from the end of last season would continue on, and it has. The biggest revelation of the episode was the "Oceanic 6" that Hurley referred to, obviously meaning only six Losties made it back from the island. Was this because only six survived, or did the rest remain behind? And what could have possibly changed Jack's mind between this episode and the further future episode to make him want to go back so badly? I have a feeling we're going to have to start writing down the timeline on sheets of paper if we don't want to get confused about exactly "when" a particular flash-back or flash-forward takes place.

The on-island action was only average to me, the biggest shock coming of course during Hugo's solo trek through the jungle, culminating at the arrival of Jacob's cabin. He seems to have a visitor, reminiscent of when Locke saw Mikhail on a video screen early last season. I'm beginning to wonder if Hurley really is the key to what's going on on the island, since he was having island-like visions even when he returned. I knew Charlie was in the episode since his name was still included in the opening credits, but eagle-eyed viewers might also have noticed Harold Perrineau, AKA Michael, whose name has been re-inserted, foreshadowing his impending arrival back to our TVs. Very exciting stuff! Whether he'll show up before the 8-episode strike arc is up is unknown, but it's good to know that Mike will be back soon, hopefully with some answers.

Regarding these new visitors, is it on purpose that the guy who parachuted in at the end of the episode looks a lot like Charlie? I guess we'll learn more next week. And big props to Michael Emerson, who, although his part this week wasn't big, once again played Ben absolutely brilliantly. I sincerely hope he sticks around to the end of the series.

In all, it was a solid episode, not on par with the shocking revelations of the last 2 season premieres, which remain in my mind some of the best episodes of TV ever produced, but for those of you who stuck around to watch the premiere of Eli Stone at 10, you'll agree with me when I say we gottta have faith.
  • Charlie: (To Hurley) I am here, you're being a baby.

As usual with my reviews I will start with a little recap. After learning Charlie's final message, part of the survivors start wondering if they should trust Naomi's associates or not and end up dividing from the other half. This episode of Lost passed my expectations t was absolutly brillint it gave us lots of new questions, Ben was really funny in the episode, Kate was great and up to her old tricks again, we see Charlie again which was great because I did not expect him to be back so soon, Locke and Jack fighting just like the old days, I was shocked when Jack pulled the trigger. Glad to see Niomi die again, and it was pretty sad the aftermath of Charlie's death. I liked this episode so much I watched it twice, cant wait to see next weeks episode. The Begining Of The End get 10 out of 10 in my opinion a great return. This episode proves why Lost is the best show on TV.
  • Great episode

"The Beginning of the End" was a solid season premiere, probably the best since the series began. Although it lacked a huge "WOW" moment comparable to the season 2 and 3 premieres, it was a fast-paced continuation of the events of last year's finale. Perhaps the biggest surprise was the decision to make this premiere a Hurley-centric episode, but it was a great gamble. Finally, anyone worried about the decision to introduce "flash-forwards" into the show's formula should be able to put their minds at ease, as that part of the show was at least as interesting, if not more so, than the on-Island action.

In true LOST fashion, the action picked up right where it left off in the Island part of the story. A noticeable difference, however, is in the rapid pace at which the narrative began to move. Even in this first episode, it is obvious that the writers are using the freedom of a set end date to the show's advantage. There is no more need to stall or drag sub-plots out longer than need be. In stark contrast to this premiere, I remember when it took a full three episodes before all of the characters were accounted for in season 2, and six of the first nine episodes of season 3 focused entirely on Jack, Kate and Sawyer. This time, all of the players and simultaneous events are addressed in one hour.

As Jack prepares to lead the survivors back to the beach camp to await rescue, Desmond returns to the people on the beach with news of Charlie's death and his final warning that the people on the "rescue" freighter aren't who they say they are. Both groups move to meet in the jungle, but a distraught Hurley becomes separated from the group and has a brief encounter with Jacob's cabin before meeting Locke. Both men, convinced that they need to stay away from the supposed "rescuers," make a plea to the other survivors, and ultimately two camps form-- Team Jack, which will go make contact with the Freighties in the hopes of being rescued, and Team Locke, which will go to the Barracks to hide from, and possibly defend themselves against this approaching party.

Several events in the Island storyline deserve some analysis. First, Hurley's encounter with Jacob was an unexpected turn for a typically lighthearted character. Galvanized by the death of his friend, Hurley is no longer a beachside B-Teamer but an important player in the story. Ben said last season that Jacob is a man who "summons you," and by putting his magical moving cabin in Hurley's path more than once, it's clear that Jacob wanted to contact Hurley for some reason. Inside the cabin, Hurley sees not one but TWO figures (interesting, since Locke couldn't see ANYONE). The first is Christian Shephard (as shown in this picture from Sledgeweb's LOST Stuff), whose presence should come as less of a surprise to those who have been watching the LOST: Missing Pieces mobisodes. The second is a familiar eye, which was shown only briefly. Some believe it to be Locke's, but I am not convinced.

Another question the encounter raises is this: if Jacob's cabin can move, how did Ben know exactly where to go to meet Jacob last season? Some speculation is that until just recently, Ben had confined Jacob with the circle of ash glimpsed briefly in "The Man Behind the Curtain," thus keeping the cabin in the same place. The theory is that between the time Locke saw a vision of Walt and his first appearance this season, he scattered the ash around the cabin, thus responding to Jacob's plea for help and "freeing" him to move again.

To the character side of things, the rivalry between Jack and Locke reached a new level this episode when the survivors met at the wreckage of the front section of the plane. Things have been building for some time, with Jack doing everything in his power to find some form of rescue for the survivors and Locke desperately trying to prevent them from leaving. What I wasn't ready for was that Jack actually attempted to murder Locke with a gun that turned out to be unloaded. With that act, I feel a line has been crossed between the two now that will make any reconciliation nearly impossible.

The climax of the episode was the split of the survivors into two camps. This split had been rumored since the middle of season 3 and speculation began on who would side with Jack or Locke. Charlie's death added another factor into this decision, and his warning about the Freighties was what ultimately led Hurley and Claire to side with Locke. Desmond probably had the most difficult choice to make, having been there when Charlie warned him about the Freighties but also knowing that he was somehow connected to them, since they had his picture; ultimately, he decided to stay with Jack.

It looks like the Island story will become a dual narrative for the next couple episodes, as Team Jack meets the Freighties and Team Locke returns to the barracks with Ben in tow. I believe that ultimately Locke will decide to have Ben lead them to the Temple, where the Others have gone. Thus, while Jack's storyline will give us some clues as to who these new people are, and what their real purpose on the Island is, Locke's storyline will hopefully cast some more light on the history of the Island and its mysteries.

Concurrent with all these Island happenings, we see a flash-forward in which Hurley returns to the Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute after visions of Charlie cause him to get in some trouble with the law. The final appearance of Dominic Monaghan as a vision of Charlie does a good job of wrapping up the character. In fact, I have to say that, on-Island and off, the death of Charlie was handled very well. Hurley and Claire are given time to express an appropriate amount of grief. I can't speak highly enough of Jorge Garcia's performance in this episode, showing grief, determination, fear and joviality with such range in an hour-long time span.

The flash-forwards appear to be just the breath of fresh air that LOST needed to rejuvenate itself halfway through the series. The flashbacks were always a crapshoot; after the first round that introduced each of the original characters in season 1, fans began to either anticipate or dread the flashbacks based on whose they were. The term "Jackback," for example, was coined to belittle the disproportionate number of Jack flashbacks that all but the most ardent of Matthew Fox groupies began to find tiresome. By the time we reached season 3, some of the flashbacks became as much of a chore to labor through as the commercials. Forget Cassidy and Kate's mom! Let's see the smoke monster again!

The flash-forwards, however, are brilliantly designed to reveal not just more about the characters, whom we all know pretty well by now, but an entirely new storyline to run concurrently with the Island action. The remainder of the season, and perhaps the series, now appears to be a puzzle in which pieces of the chronology will slowly go into place. By the end of the series we will be able to connect the dots and understand Hurley's fear of the man named Abbadon who asks him, "Are they still alive?" We'll know what Charlie meant when he said "They still need you."

Even bigger, we'll come to learn just what Jack, Hurley and the other flash-forward characters are so afraid of, and what they've been lying about. Jack made a special trip to see Hurley just to make sure he wouldn't tell anyone what he knows. That combined with his fierce rebuttal of Hurley's cryptic warning, "It wants us to come back," is a stark contrast to the shattered man in last year's finale who would come to acknowledge that "we have to go back." It seems that eventually, even the most stubborn "man of science" will have to admit that the Island is special and calls for their return, to finish whatever secretive business was started there.

As in previous season premieres, the seeds have now been sown for the narratives that will drive this chapter of LOST. On the Island, we will see a meeting and confrontation with the Freighties, and as Team Jack and Team Locke go their seperate ways they will each forge new paths into the larger mythology of the series. In the flash-forwards, we will likely learn who the Oceanic 6 are, and perhaps begin to uncover just what has got them so afraid. What are they lying about, and why do they eventually become convinced that they need to return to the Island? We probably won't know in just seven more episodes, but if the season proceeds at the pace of this premiere, they should still be a filling dose of LOST.
  • Charlie: (To Hurley) I am here, you're being a baby.

• There were high expectations for the follow up to the perfect lost episode, This delivers everything you could ask for: fast pace, emotion, some already classic scenes and mostly more revelations.

I had been waiting for this episode of Lost to come up for what seemed like an eternity!
    Months of waiting created much speculation amongst fans about what could possibly happen next?

This episode ends the drought miraculously delivering what I feel is all we could ever want and more.

The opening scene was fantastic, a car chase which looks in its self very "Movie like" and expensive! the almost instant reveal of Jack watching it all unfold on TV and the immediate suggestion that it is a flash forward because he is drinking alcohol in what is probably first thing in the morning! This is the start of the "wreck" we see in Through the looking glass.

"I'm one of the Oceanic Six", so we immediately know 6 people make it off the Island, we know 3 of them already!

There are several reoccuring themes in this episode, Hurley denies all knowledge of knowing Ana Lucia, even though we know and he knows he very much knew her...
    Hurley was being pursued by a barage of Police cars for knocking over a stack of snacks in a store? He and the other 5 are obviously under tight and close watch, perhaps because they don't want them to reveal the islands secrets to the public?
    "I'm sick of lying" Jack said in the season 3 finale, clearly there is an immediate cover up involved.

The events on the Island happen wonderfully, lots of pace means that events arent drawn out and stretched over many episodes.
    The first 10 minutes involving Hurley were great, he goes from pure happiness at the thought of going home to utter dispair when he learns of Charlie's fate within the space of one minute.

"Abbadul" in the mental institution who came to visit Hurley, I believe was not real... maybe it was the smoke monster or Jacob himself...

Speaking of Jacob, he is revealed fully in this episode to Hurley and is none other than Christian Shepherd who almost everyone suspected it was from the brief glimpse we saw in season 3 of him. The fact is this confirms he isn't manifested as who you want him to be, he is Christian because Locke and Hurley both saw him after never having met Jack's father.

My Theory: I now believe that there are 2 "Monsters", the smoke monster who manifests itself as evil people who try to break or even kill characters and are wholy negative.
    And, a second monster that shows itself to bring up peoples spirits and show them the way in which they have to go (Charlie in Hurleys flash forward for example and Walt in season 3). Maybe these 2 monsters also made it off the Island, because I believe they both appear in this episode in some shape or form.

The camp splitting up into two groups could prove very interesting, it will be nice to see how this pans out.

The final Flash Forward scene involving Jack visiting Hurley was a broad image of thinks to come:
    "I've been thinking about growing a beard" - This gives us indication that the episode takes place a few months before Through the looking glass as Jack is just going to grow his beard!
    Jack missing at basketball seems a bit odd, perhaps he was so affected by the alcohol that he couldnt even aim, he's on the path to the dark side already!
    "I'm sorry I went with Locke, I should have stayed with you" - this shows us immediately that Jack is both right and wrong, we know the people are not there to rescue them but somehow Locke's decision ended up being wrong, I'm sure there will be a more complicated turn of events leading to this.

"It wants us to go back, It's going to do everything it can..." - It? The monster? Jacob? I'm thinking Jacob, because "it" doing "Everything it can" was obviously Charlie or the manifestation of Charlie trying to pursuade that his friends need him on the Island.

What could possibly happen to make Jack change his mind so suddenly and want to go back after this episode? Who knows!

I'm looking forward to what is coming, not just for Season 4 but for 5 & 6 as well, I believe that the flash forwards and the events on the Island will eventually collide to form some sort of "Island Return" to retrieve those they left behind... We'll find out in a few months or years I guess.
  • Great return for LOST. Can't wait for more.

I have been anticipating this episode for a very long time. I was so worried the entire time I waited, though. I was worried that this new season wouldn't measure up. Worried that this new flash forward technique wouldn't be as good as the flashbacks were. Well it turns out I had nothing to worry about.

This was one of my favorite episodes to date, and an interesting, exciting start to this new season. In true LOST fashion it created even more questions while answering very few, if any. But that's why I love this show. It's not for the simpleminded. Great Episode here.
  • Just Three Words, LOST IS BACK!

WOW! Totally blew me away at how good this was. I never expected to get another Flash-Forward so soon. I'm even beginning to wonder if it is REALLY a Flash-Forward, or if the Island is a Flash-Back. Now I wonder what happened to the Locke group. How does Hurley still leave the Island despite siding with Locke?(This explains thought why Sawyer and Claire don't leave the Island) Now, why don't the nameless people leave the island, and what of Desmond? All these questions yet to be answered. But they don't seem so far out of reach like usual. Lost is back and better than ever. I so pity those who gave up on this series cause they got no clue the stellar episodes they are missing.
  • A tear jerker for me! I can calm down now that its back on.

I knew that I would need the tissues for the recap of Charlie dying but I didnt think that I would need them throughout this episode. I cried so much, Im such sook. I cant stop thinking of how its all going to end, just when I think I have an idea, BOOM! something else gets thrown at us. Now the Losties are divided, hmmmm I wonder how long that will last? The flash fowards were great. I was shocked to see Charlie again too but I loved it. I wonder how long Charlie has been following Hurley? I wonder who else will visit Hurley in hospital?
    Its going to be interesting to see how Locke and Ben get along now, they hate each other with a passion.
    I cant wait until next weeks epsiode, how much more can I be sucked in?
  • A fast-paced, story-driven beginning of the season lives up to the hype.

The whole hour was intense, the story was gripping, there were hardly any moments were the pace was slow. Not like before, Lost has been renewed and is looking to be better than ever. The best part about this episode, and probably the whole season, is how the present and future episodes tie so closely together. Every line is carefully structured to provide some kind of insight into what the future holds for the island's inhabitants, but not too much to give anything away. The opening sequence was great. Another character 180, this time it's Hurley, and now he's the one saying they need to go back to the island. Great start to the season, well-written, and reminds everyone of what Lost is all about, the characters, finding themselves.
  • Intruiging, Interesting and Infuriating

This is a great episode and starts off the new series with exactly the right tone and pace. Also, if you are willing to look beneath the surface of this episode there is a lot of interesting things so be found. A rewatch of this episode and perhaps a closer look at some of the episode's shots is a must. If I had to find a fault (and it will be by no means the first time this has been said about an episode of Lost) it would be that this episode raises so many more questions than it answers - but would we have it any other way?!
  • Awesome!

What can I say about this episode. It was amazing. I cried all the way though it nearly. I loved it. Hurley's flashforward was awesome. The best scene in the whole episode was when Hurley and Charlie where talking to eachother in the metal home. I hope I will we will be seeing more of Charlie, beacuse I really miss him and he did an awesome job. I really liked seeing Jack and Hurley together too, Jack looked so sexy. I also cant believe that Jack tried to kill John Locke. I couldn't believe that he tried to kill him. I really cant wait until the next episode. I would have given this episode 10 out of 10 but I wanted to see alot more. I really love it though. I have to say this Jack Shepherd is so hot! All in all an awesome start to LOST.
  • Well Slap My Ass and call me Sally That was brilliant :D

I honestly cannot think of anything that i could fault that with
    I was going to give it 9.8 but im changing it to 10 beacsue i wouldnt want it any other way... oh alright 9.9 beacuse Niomi didnt get noticed by a hill full of people but thats the only possible fault

Me & my friend were argueing about the 1st scene... i had my money on "in the boat" , my friend had "in Pennys house"
    BUT it was only a ****ing flashforward
    MELONS!
    I loved them
    And then the mysetry of who wsa in the car, firstly it had to be Jack... Then kate... Then, no, surely not Hurley :O
    I loved iot beacuse i had heard about the Oceanic 6, and never even thought of Hurley beinng in it...
    So theres Hurley Jack Kate ? ? ?
    and i think that those three spaces will be filled with a selection from the five .... Sayid Claire Desmond Micheal & Juliet
    So right here im going 2 state for the record that.... the other three are Micheal, Sayid & Claire

Anyway... back on track
    I almost cryed when Hurley broke it to Claire.. INCREDABLE acting from Hurley
    I mad a manly little scream noise when we were in Jacobs cabin
    and shouted some more when Charley turned up in the hospital
    Bloody hell
    that was brilliant!!
    SO thank you Mr Writers
    Will someone given them their money so they can come home

I thik this episode has to go in my top 10.. it was brilliant
    10 points to my fave characetr Hurley
    Rose & Bernard Benjamin Linus & Poor Old Claire

wow :D
    Bring on the next 7 weeks
  • The return of Lost was like the SuperBowl of science fiction for me. I was really excited. I watched the pre-game show (Lost: Past, Present and Future). I didn't throw a big party or paint my face. The best part about it is that everyone came out a winner

Instead of flashbacks we are getting flash forwards. Hurley goes mad and ends up in an insane asylum. After the writers killed off Charlie, this is the only way to keep him on the roster. I also want to add that the summer break was really good to Charlie. His look worked for me. He had a really nice rugged, handsome thing going on.

Hurley. *sighs* Not that the insane thing is boring, I just don't want to see my favorite character going through this. On a brighter note, he got his very own creepy Haitian ala Heroes. Hurley also makes a curious comment that he wished that he'd have gone with Jack instead of staying on the island with that crazy assed Locke. To his credit, his logic was sound at the time. Charlie said it was a bad idea, listen to Charlie so that Charlie wouldn't have died for nothing. Hurley also mentioned "The Oceanic Six". If this means that only six people survived, I sense some traumatic TV viewing in our future.

The way people get killed but don't die right away annoys me on this show. Naomi gets knifed in the back by crazy man Locke. She slinks away like she's Sylar. She leaves a fake blood trail, gets on another trail, manages to climb a tree, attack Freckles, put a knife to Freckles' throat, have a change a heart, fumble around with a sat. phone then die a great and dramatic kung fu death.

I like how Jack was actually going to shoot Locke. If that gun wasn't loaded John would have been a dead man. I didn't think Jack had the stones. Way to go Jack but next time use your own loaded gun.

Lost had a good return. I wasn't disappointed and I hope they keep up the good work.
  • Season 4 Premiere

Before I get into what I thought about the episode, I just want to say thank snickers LOST is BACK!!

Anyway, the season 4 opener was exciting. You can feel the difference in the episode because they think "rescue" is indeed coming.

Off island-
    It's a Hurley Flashforward. He's once again in a mental institute. He's being chased by the police after he runs out of a gas station after seeing CHARLIE. Future Jack sees the chase, but he does not have his beard. This FF takes place sometime before Jack is all crazed up about wanting to go back.

Sounds like there was some kind of pact by the "Oceanic 6" to act like they don't know anything about any other survivors. They don't want people to find out what happened on the island, so they "lie" about stuff....case in point Hurley saying he doesn't know a Ana-Lucia.... also when Jack in his FF episode said "I'm sick of lying".

Hurley sees Charlie at the mental institute. Charlie says that they need him back. Guessing he means the rest of the survivors..

Jack sees Hurley at the end....Jack asks him if he's "going to tell"...so there's interesting stuff going on.

On Island-
    A LOT of stuff happens...geez I don't even know where to start..

Hurley sees Jacobs cabin....we see Jacob again, and it appears to be CHRISTIAN, Jacks dad.

Hurley finds out Charlie is dead. It's a very emotional scene when he tells Claire.

Naomi pulls a Mikhail by not being dead....she ends up dying though after fixing the location on the satellite phone. Her death is pretty gruesome....she's a GREAT actor. kudos to her!

Jack whoops on Locke...even pulls the trigger on Lockes gun...but there's no ammo left.

Locke along with Hurley make a speech about the "rescuers" not being who they said they are because of the stuff with Charlie in the Looking Glass. Locke convinces people to come with him to the barracks. Others stay with Jack.

In the final scene Jack and Kate finally meet one of the "rescuers" after he jumps out of a plane.

END

Great episode. Awesome FF and on-island stuff. It was a very emotional episode. Great way to start of Season 4 of LOST.
  • Jacob was now seen by Hurley; and future Hurley tells Jack he made a mistake by going with Locke....

It's been a while since I've been able to write a review, and I'm glad LOST is up next. :) This episode I feel was very revealing... it not only shed some light on some features, it brought up more questions that are more mindblowing. The first future/past episode. We know it not to be the furture, furture simliar to what they left us with in season 3 with Jack/Kate; since Jack one, hasn't grown the beard yet, and two doesn't feel guilt for leaving the island. Charlie returns for a brief moment to warn Hurley on what he must do, course what should we believe when it comes to Charlie?? He says he's dead, Hurley as well, but someone else did point him out to Hurley, crazy or not Charlie was seen by someone else... another point, Jacob was now seen by Hurley; and future Hurley tells Jack he made a mistake by going with Locke. Could it be because Hurley saw Jacob Locke became more like Ben over protected over what should be his?? More was revealed in this episode as well, the new comers to the island who even Ben is afraid of. I feel this episode opened the door to more questions that seem to be slowly answering the old ones. Piece by piece. Looking forward to more coming next week on LOST...and remember, Jacob loves you!
  • Great Return for Lost

We start this episode in another flash forward. That"s right, kids -- it wasn"t just a gimmick for the finale. This one involves Hurley freaking out, leading the police in a high-speed chase through L.A., murdering a helpless pile of papayas and begging the police to throw him in back in the nuthouse (while also telling them, and us, that he"s one of the "Oceanic Six"). A creepy dude visits him in the nuthouse, pretending to be a lawyer for Oceanic, but actually trying to find out if "they" are still alive. And a while later, Charlie visits him, or Charlie"s ghost, or Charlie"s surprisingly well-preserved zombie, and tries to get him to acknowledge that "they" need him. Another creepy dude then visits him, except this time it"s just Jack. He"s apparently there to see if Hurley is going to tell...someone about something. Hurley thinks that "it" wants them back, but Jack thinks they"ll never go back.

Back on the island, so much **** happens, I can"t even tell you. But here"s a small sample: at the radio tower, Naomi"s corpse has disappeared, and Jack (with Rousseau and Ben in tow) tries to track her down. Kate steals the satellite phone and takes off on what she"s sure is the real trail. She"s right, of course, and finds Naomi, who promptly holds a knife to her throat. But Naomi relents, and fixes the phone so the ship can track them down.

On the beach, our victorious warriors celebrate their victory -- at least until Desmond shows up and passes on Charlie"s dying message about the boat. They decide to meet up with the rest of the Lostaways and pass on the warning. On the way, Hurley gets lost and finds Jacob"s cabin. He appropriately freaks out and runs away, only to run into Locke, who convinces him that they really don"t want to be rescued by the people on the boat. Everyone comes together, and after Jack tries to kill Locke (unsuccessfully, alas), the Lostaways end up splitting into two groups, with a bunch going off to the Barracks with Locke. (This group includes Claire, Hurley, Ben, and Sawyer, among others). At the very end, a helicopter drops off a parachutist, who asks Jack if he"s...Jack. The answer to which is apparently enough to be a cliffhanger.
  • Extraordinary as always!!

Lost has been my favorite from the beginning, not only because of its extraordinary mysterious storyline, but mainly because of its thematic richness, and its astounding character development.

The characters all seem to be transforming rapidly. I couldn't help but notice Hurley's new take on things. From the moment he heard of Charlie's death he became deeper and darker. His expression when he told the others he will tell claire of charlie's death, and his eloquent speech was just incredible. Also, he is becoming wiser. He asked for the business card to that man who claimed to be an oceanic representative, and instantly new why Jack came to visit him.

I have also been noticing a major shift in Sawyer's character. Even though his selfish attitude takes on when he says to Kate that he will do what he has always done "survivin" he still feels compassionate towards Hurley, and tells him to tell him if he needs anything. He is now becoming a vital member of the group. The story was again exciting full of surprising moments. The Jack-Locke fight for leadership, Naomi's death, Hurley's flashforward, the boatpeople, and most of all Hurley's vision of Jacob or sheperd. It was also emotional when Hurley gave the bad news to Claire, and the way he delivered his speech. But mysteries do not stop, they are multiplying.

All in all, an extraordinary continuation of the greatest series I have seen on TV. I just hope that the writers will continue to develop the characters and themes the same way they always did. Apart from the general plot, it is what makes Lost unique.
  • Simple nerve wracking and it was great.

A great begining of the season.

Now the flash backs continue to show us more of the future of the survivors that get of the island. This time is with Hurley and we also see Jack and it seems to be earlier then Jack's flash back of the future.

This episode like any episode of lost answers one question with many more appering. Simply making you wanting to see more and more episodes.

Rescue comes to island in the end of the episode but some of the survivors had alright departed with john locke because of charlie's warning.

The big revelation his that hurley in the future calls himself one of the oceanic 6. Telling that only 6 got of the island.
  • The name of the episode refers to Ben's observation, this when he said to Jack " Already there will no be reverse, Jack. I assure you that if you do this call, it will be the beginning of the end." And have interesting Flashfoward...

The chapter be not been so good as the first previous chapters of season...

And what characterizes it is that generate many mas questions of which aswer...
    for example;
    oceanic's six: ¿how are we? jack, kate, hurley, .... and sawyer??
    Jacob's house: the one who was with jacob??

And many mas you ask in the air...
    Those who are still alive(vivacious)??
    That must not count hurley??
    Those who need help??

I have many desires of seeing the near(next) chapter, but basically for that I want that empiese to clarifying all this riot...

Bye :) PD: Excuse my English, but i speak Spanish.

But Lost is the better show of the history.
< 1 2 3 4