Lost

The Brig

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 2007 on ABC

• Sawyer and Locke connected

This is one of my favorite episodes because it's interesting to see how one man, Locke's father, can affect two men, Sawyer and Locke, so differently. And yet, in the end, they both need him to die.

This episode also introduces the idea that the survivors may in fact be dead, and that the island then must be some kind of afterlife/purgatory. I'm not too hip to this idea, but perhaps it's all just a lie. Back to Sawyer and Locke. It was really satisfying to see both men finally move on because we all really know they have much more greatness in them ready to be developed. This was a wonderful turning point in the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing how both men change.

Three seasons of character arc come to an end here, and the payoff was spectacular.

A final note, I usually see plot twists way ahead of time, but I never imagined that Sawyer and Locke's history could be so believably tied together.
  • Two character's traumatic Backstories are laid to rest along with the culprit in spectacular fashion!

And thus begins Lost's outstanding Season 3 wrap-up!
    Absolutely amazing episode, which I would agree with most people is the darkest hour of the series thus far!
    Once again it's all about the performances, which makes the episode so special. We all know that Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emmerson have considerable talent, that is made manifest by the complex characters they are playing. Up until now, Josh Holloway hasn't had much chance to dig deeper into his acting soul. Most of Josh Holloway's acting skills required for this series up to now, at least on-island, has been to play the bad ass, the cocky southerner with a penchant for nicknames. However, here we are witness to a different side to Josh Holloway, one which is very welcome and is sure to be embraced by most watching. In every line he roars at Anthony Cooper inside the Black Rock you can feel the emotional pain Holloway's character feels. Never before has an acting performance on Lost stopped my heart at places like when he screams "Finish it!", referring to his letter. Kevin Tigh's portrayal as Anthony Cooper is also worthy of praise and is enough to give Josh Holloway the incentive to deliver his own 100% performance. Josh Holloway only goes to prove how much every actor/actress on the show has improved.
    With performances like these who needs special effects, jungle chases, explosions, implosions and rampaging polar bears and smoke monsters to generate excitement.
    With Sawyer being so pivotal to this episode and Josh Holloway stealing the show literally it is easy to forget that this episode is actually Locke-centric. I still refer to it as a Locke-Sawyer centric episode because it concerns them both just as equally. It is Locke-centric because to be fair Locke gets more episode screen time, owing to his on-island flashbacks, which tracks him following the cliffhanger of "The Man from Tallahassee".
    Once again the concept of the "Magic Box" is raised and new light on this subject got my mind going back to Season 1. Ben tells Locke in this episode that Anthony Cooper came out of the box because Locke somehow willed it. In "The Man from Tallahassee" Ben says that the box holds what you imagine or hope would be in it, so, in essence, Locke imagined or hoped Cooper would be on the island. If Ben is telling the truth then this information relates directly to Walt in Season 1. As far back as the Pilot episode we were quickly introduced to Walt's powers. We saw him read a spanish comic with a Polar Bear in it, moments before a real one appears before several other castaways. Once again this connection was made more definitive in "Special" later that season when Walt's fury that his comic had been thrown in the fire by Michael on the Polar Bear page had been enough to imagine, hope and thus will the Polar Bear onto the island, maybe to seek revenge on Michael. However, the plan may not have turned out as hoped as Walt was trapped with the animal and Michael rescued Walt and himself from the attack. It is quite possible, thought, that Walt is unaware of his "Magic Box" abilities, just as Locke isn't. Locke can't understand how he could have used his "Magic Box" to bring Anthony Cooper to the island. Of course, even if Locke or Walt did imagine themselves up a Polar Bear or an Anthony Cooper or even when Charlie hoped his guitar would be on the island in one piece, it still doesn't explain how this all connects with how Cooper was actually brought to the island, which was supposedly by a car accident. The whole "Magic Box" issue does get us to wonder what things on the island are due to the imaginations of our characters and which are due to the Smoke Monster [see The Cost of Living, earlier this season]. At this time I believe that the manifestations of Dave, Christian Shepherd and Yemi are all creations of the monster, whereas Anthony Cooper [possibly], Walt's Polar Bear and Charlie's guitar came out of the magic box. The island is one large magic box where all your dreams can come true, physically or spiritually or both [Locke's legs and his faith].
    I think we have only just scratched the surface of the "Magic Box" and look forward to where that story goes from here.
    Another interesting plot point concerns the Others. We have been led to believe that there exists a great leader on the island, who is in control of the Others and quite possibly in charge of everything that goes on on the island. We will get clarification in the following episode that his name is "Jacob", a name that has been referenced numerous times this season. Beneath Jacob in the Others hierarchy there stands Ben as the sub-leader of the Others, the physical presence of a leader, against Jacob who seems to be at this stage of the game an unseen force of the island.
    Ben seems to have taken on this responsibility for some time but it is becoming quite clear that his methods of leadership are not going down too well with the rest of the community. Certainly, Richard hints at this to Locke when he tells him that Ben has been wasting their time on fertility problems instead of seeking their true potential on the island. This makes Juliet's actions to Jack in the early part of the season much clearer. Juliet informed Jack that the community are unhappy with Ben and want him gone. Of course Juliet would later deny this but even Tom, when he finds out has an understanding expression on his face. Richard Alpert also tells Locke that, Ben aside, everyone in the community thinks Locke is special and important to the island, hinting that they believe they have found their new sub-leader to replace Ben. This would explain why, as Richard explains, that Locke doesn't want anyone to think Locke is special and wanted to see him fail to embarrass Locke and to boost Ben's self-esteem. Ben doesn't guess that Locke would return with the Others with Anthony Cooper on his back. Ben, obviously realises that Locke is somehow special and has a irrefutable communion with the island, due in part to his sudden ability to walk again and also his ability to somehow speed up Ben's healing process just by being in his company. But Ben is also aware that Locke could be his successor and tries to put Locke in situations that he knows he will fail in, just to prove to the Others that Locke is not what they think he is. Ben can't handle the fact that Locke would be leading Ben rather than Ben leading Locke, which is getting near to happening. The whole "sacrifice" at the Ruins was very creepy and many have speculated that the Ruins are connected to the four-toed statue seen last season. Back on the beach Naomi expands on her story teased at the climax of the previous episode. She tells a disbelieving Sayid that they found the wreckage of Oceanic 815 and all the dead passengers in a trench near Bali. Sayid is suspicious, as am I. We saw halfway in Season 1 that the tide was coming in to wash up the wreckage of the plane and the survivors camp so they had to relocate further down shore. Okay, it is possible that the tide could flush pieces of the wreckage out to sea but that far out and in one piece enough to be identified by people. It is just as likely for someone to go back down to their original camp and try to find any part of the wreckage. We also know that part of the wreckage was nowhere near the shoreline as some of it was found further inland in the jungle and also in the Caves. Rewatching "White Rabbit" from Season 1 when Jack first discovers the caves only confirms this. So this is a blatant lie by Naomi, one that should be picked up by more than just Sayid [assuming that this is not an inconsistency in writing! I sure hope not!]. Why anyone has not already investigated back at their original camp is unclear. The tide may have pulled back out again making investigations that much easier. So I am pretty convinced at this point [without revealing what I know in Season 4] that this is a lie from Naomi.
    Anyhow, speculations aside this was a thoroughly entertaining episode, the darkest yet. In fact I would go as far as saying that Lost has produced a Film Noir episode.The moment when "Sawyer" strangles "Sawyer" with the chain is brutal and quite possibly the most violent thing we have seen up to this point.
    It will be interesting now to see where Locke and Ford's journeys go now. Sawyer, now taht he has killed the very man that ruined his life by conning his parents and resulting in their deaths, will probably be much more relaxed and looser on the island and may be more content to become one of the team. Locke, now that the man that was responsible for his paralysis as well as one less kidney and subsequent misery in his life, will probably have the freedom to choose his destiny now, even if that means joining the "enemy" as Sawyer calls them. Locke is not choosing to join the Others out of spite for his fellow survivors, rather than as an outlet to gain a better understanding of the island and to prove or disprove in what he secretly believes. That belief would be sorely tested once again in the following episode.
    "The Brig" was one of the best episodes of the season and the standard had once again been raised. Things would only get even better!
  • A Locke-centric episode.

As a whole, I thought that this was an absolutely amazing episode. The fact that I liked this episode so much really surprised me given the fact that this is a Locke-centric episode and I'm not a very big fan of the character Locke. Although, I have to admit that most of my enjoyment of this episode has to do with Sawyer's involvement with Locke's story line. Josh Holloway did an amazing job in this episode with his performance as Sawyer. This episode really proves that the producers made the perfect choice when they cast Josh Holloway as Sawyer. One thing that I didn't like about this episode was fact that Juliet wasn't feature very much in this episode. I love her character, so I wish they would have used her more in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD so I can find out how the season ends.
  • ...

Finally Sawyer met the old man Sawyer, because of whom his dad killed his mum and after that himself. From one side it was quite shocking that this son of a b*tch was Lock's father. But from another side, not really. It's kinda interesting how all the passengers' lives are linked up. Everyone has a secret and these secrets cross each other. In fact I'm waiting for the moment when Jack will get to know that Claire is his step-sister. It'll be very, very exciting. Can't wait for it. Sometimes I hate all these things that didn't end in one episode, but it's the motive why I'm still watching it. It's quite interesting with what Sawyers and Kate's affair will end up.
  • A truly epic adventure. Endings and beginnings.

What a beautiful episode. The writers often go back to long abandoned storylines and shake them up a bit. That's always lovely.

But has it ever been better than this? I don't think so.
    Locke returns and asks for Sawyer's help to kill Ben who Locke captured.

Of course, even at this point, the audience is aware of that it's not Ben, but Locke's father. What the audience might not be aware of is how he's connected to Sawyer.

'might'. Of course the hardcore lost fans already know for almost sure that Locke's father is the man who conned Sawyer's mother which initally led to both her and his father's death.

Even knowing this - this was something incredible. Seeing how it plays out: the build up... oh my god.

Has a Lost episode ever been darker? Someone brought somewhere to kill someone in cold blood.

Brilliant writing, and even better directing. The location where the execution takes place is amazing: the Black Rock.... some incredible camera angles.

The best part was, undoubtedly, the 5-10 minute long scene between "Sawyer" and "Sawyer"... how James slowly realizes who he is talking to. And then, the letter from 1x8 returns. Is this it? James can finally deliver his letter?

But Anthony crushes it... and that, was a fatal mistake. Cooper's dead. Once and for all. James is now a changed man. His "life goal" was accomplished. And so is Locke's. With Anthony dead, there's nothing that can stand between him and answers.

Locke starts carrying his dead father as the camera follows his face which clearly reads hope. As he starts walking faster, the camera slides away, shows the sun as it smash cuts to....

LOST.

One of the greatest episodes ever. Amazingly powerful ending. No cliffhanger, but oh god... that was incredible. The music, Terry O'Quinn's face, everything. I was blown away.
  • Heart beating faster.

Locke shows up in the camp while Sawyer is taking a leak and tells Sawyer that he has kidnapped Ben and he wants him to kill him so Sawyer follows Locke into the jungle. Then Locke and Sawyer reach the destination and Locke locks Sawyer in a room with a man who has a bag over his head. Sawyer thinking that the man is Ben takes of the bag and sees that it's not Ben..it's Sawyer's father. After a long conversation between Sawyer and Anthony Cooper ( Locke's dad ) Sawyer finds out that Locke's father conned his mother which was the reason Sawyer's father killed his mother and then himself. Knowing this Saywer chokes Anthony. That was great ! As many other reviewers said : Sawyer meets Saywer. Reason for this is that when Anthony conned Sawyer's mother ( Mary ) his alias was Sawyer. Also in this episode : Juliet and Jack are hiding something from Kate. Locke has flashbacks of the eight days he spent with the others and how he was asked to kill his father right infront of everyone which was only so Ben can prove a point and his point was Locke is not perfect. Loved the episode. Really exciting !!! Friends's oponions : 1) 10 out of 10. 2) 10 out of 10. 3) 10 out of 10. 4) 8 out of 10. 5) 9 out of 10. Favorite character from this episode : Naomi !!! I loved her accent. Great stuff !!
  • Locke askes Sawyer for a favor.

I knew it! I knew that Locke's father was the con artest behind Sawyers parents death. I was wondering when they were going to figure it out. I really liked the flashbacks for this episode. To see what it was for Locke while he was with the Others. I can not believe that he tricked Sawyer into going with him to the Black Rock. I can not believe that Niaomi told them that they found the plane and that their was no survivors. I want to know how they pulled that one together how are they going to get the plane in another location and in one piece.
  • Wow! Even if you saw it coming, is it not "Wow?" It's "wow" and you know it. Way to go Damon and Carlton! You pulled off another mind-blowing, heart-tugging, mythologically-dense hour of pure greatness. LOST is, without a doubt, better than life itself.

On-Island:

This was a great episode. Everything about it was just pure greatness. Not only did we get the conclusion to a long standing "mystery," but we also get some great dialogue, the reappearance of the Black Rock, foreshadowing with Rousseau, more information about Naomi's show-shaking statement, some "WTF!?" Jack/Juliet moments, and, of course, the re-return of the awesome Sayid.

Storyline A: After having some serious nookie with hottie-with-a-body, Kate, Sawyer runs into the recently returned Locke while peeing in the jungle. Locke tells Sawyer that he infiltrated the Others' camp and, earlier that night, he snuck into Ben's tent and kidnapped him so that Sawyer would kill him. Sawyer claims that he is not a murder, but Locke retorts, "Except for the man you killed in Sydney." After a dispute between the two about actually killing Ben, Sawyer finally agrees to at least follow Locke to where he has Ben "imprisoned." En route to the ship, Locke tells Sawyer that the Others have birth certificates, criminal reports, medical records, etc. in files on every survivor and even know that Sawyer's father pulled a murder-suicide on his wife, Sawyer's mother. At The Black Rock, Locke proceeds to shut Sawyer in a room with the kidnapped Ben. But, of course, in true LOST fashion, it's Ben. In fact, it is Anthony Cooper who we last saw tied up and gagged in a boiler room in Otherville. Sawyer bangs and bagns on the door, but Locke will not let him out. During this, Rousseau walks in, tells Locke she needs some dynamite, and leaves. Inside the brig, Cooper tells Sawyer that he is Locke's father. The conversation then leads to the fact that Cooper was once a conman and Sawyer asks Cooper what his name is. Cooper tells him that "a conman goes by many names," but he's been known, among other names, as Alan/Adam Seward, Ted MacLaren, Anthony Cooper, Tom Sawyer, and Louis Jackson. Sawyer puts two and two together and concludes that the man before him is the real Sawyer, the man who ruined his life. James asks him if he's ever been to Jasper, Alabama and after Cooper confirms that he has, Sawyer has no doubt in his mind that he's finally found his nemesis. Sawyer pulls the infamous letter out of his pocket and hands it to Cooper. Cooper, however, begins to read it, but immediately disregards it by finishing half of the letter by saying "blah, blah, blah, blah." Sawyer begins to yell at Cooper to finish the letter, but he just rips it up. Infuriated, Sawyer grabs a chain and strangles Cooper to death. Back outside the ship, Locke tells Sawyer that Juliet is a mole in the survivors' camp and hands him a tape recording to prove this to the others. The episode closes with Locke picking up the dead Cooper and, as Ben told him to, carrying him off towards the Others camp.

This was an extremely satisfying conclusion to the Sawyer/Sawyer story. I don't think the writers could have handled the revelation any better and the writing, as well as Josh Holloway's acting, was superb. Getting to see the Black Rock again was awesome because, to me at least, it's the coolest and most interesting of the island's physical mysteries (the columns, the 4-toed statue, the radio tower, etc.)

I also thought the foreshadowing with Rousseau was quite cool. There are a lot of things she could be doing with that dynamite, but I think we can all agree that it has something to do with Alex.

I know I didn't talk much about Naomi's storyline, so I'll talk about that a little bit right here. First off, I'm thankful that the writers didn't postpone this story and actually went right a long and told us what happened next. Overall, I'm kind of pissed they (Charlie, Hurlye, Desmond, Sayid, Jin) didn't tell Jack, but I guess they had justification for not doing so. Personally, I think Jack is the only one of the survivors who actually knows what's going on with the Others and he isn't telling them for a reason. You just watch! Next week or the week after Jack is going to regain his credibility and you are all going to wallow in my awesomeness. Oh, how cool is that satphone?! It's like the iPhone x10! I know a lot of people are wondering what Sayid was digging but it was pretty obvious that he was in a garden. I'm pretty sure he was just working on his feminine mystique. Other points of revelation in this part of the episode include the knowledge that Naomi did in fact take off from a ship, no human has seen the "wreckage" of flight 815, and that Naomi was, as many speculated, sent by Penelope Widmore to find Desmond.

Overall, the on-island stuff was amazing and I'm really eager to see the continuation of all three developments--Sawyer getting the tape, Jack and Juliet finding out about Naomi, and Locke heading back to Ben with his dead father.

It was a great episode of LOST and the flashbacks made it even better.

On-Island Flashbacks:

The flashbacks were my favorite part of this episode. Yeah, there was great Cooper/Sawyer interaction and that was a 10/10, but something about these flashbacks really intrigued me. Maybe it was seeing that weird new column that seemed as if it predated the 4-toed statue or maybe it was seeing Ben, Richard, and Cindy and all the other creepy Others in their new tent-camp. Either way, these flashbacks were great because they filled in a lot of the holes in Locke's on-island story and they even gave us some new information. I'm not going to do a recap for this part of the episode, but I do have a lot too talk about.

First off, why in Jacob's name did Cooper bite Locke's hand? The best reasoning I've heard is that Cooper was attempting a variation of the "pinch yourself to see if you're dreaming effect." As you know, Cooper believed that he had died in the car crash and was now in hell so maybe he bit Locke's hand to see if he was really there. I don't know, but something tells me that there's more to that than meets the eye. Or, it could be nothing. Who knows on this show!?

The next flashback starts off with Locke helping Cindy, the stewardess that gave Jack the mini bottles of Vodka, build a tent. Cindy tells Locke that the reason everyone is looking at him strangely is because they are excited he's here. In the LOST forums, I have a small theory, which I don't fully stand behind as of recent developments, that Jacob is dead and that Locke is a "second-coming" of a Jacob. I believe that something happened to Jacob, maybe as profound as recovering from paralysis or maybe something les, on the island that led to everyone around him worshipping him. Then, after he died, Ben took over as leader of the Others. But, as Alpert told Locke on the hill, Ben is/was to caught up in things like pregnancy problems that the other Others have forgotten why really came to the island in the first place. Locke is their new leader. Hey, I could be way off or totally correct, but it's my theory so respect it! Personally, as I said over at the forums, I would prefer that Jacob is still alive, but I trust that the writers know what they're doing and that it could go either way and still be satisfying.

Part of this flashback also includes a converation between Locke and Ben in which Ben states that he can't wait to show Locke what the island can do, but he first must kill his father to show his devotion to the island.
    Ben also convinces Locke that there is something about him that heals people, but I think it has more to do with where the Others are located on the island. The ruins maybe?

The rest of the flashback, although filling in plot-points about why Locke brought Cooper to Sawyer in the first place, don't provide much to speculate about. They were, however, very revealing and I really enjoyed the scene between Richard and Locke on the hilltop. Richard's such a creepy guy, don't you think? I would LOVE to see a flashback of him. Something tells me that I'll partly get my wish in the next episode. :D

Things I Noticed/Easter Eggs:

--Locke is Yoda again. For all of you who thought Locke became a bumbling buffoon in the last few episodes, I think we can somewhat agree that he is back to his awesome, awesome self. Even though he kind of chickened out on killing his father

--Rousseau likes to foreshadow. Seriously, what was up with that? What do you think Rousseau needs dynamite for? It definitely has something to do with Alex, in my opinion.

--The Black Rock is the coolest ship in the world.

--Cindy is special. I really think that everyone person the Others have taken are either special or pregnant.

--The lower Others are infatuated with Locke. Did you see the way those people were looking at him? They worshipped him as if he was Jacob!

--Ancient columns! How cool was that? I think we call agree it is definitely related to the four toed statue. Damon and Carlton even said that next year is going to focus on the ruins.

--Kate's pregnant. Duh!

--Sawyer's file had a French police report in it. Rousseau, Sayid, and Shannon all spent time in France.

--Alpert told Locke to get Sawyer to kill Cooper on my 13th birthday! Ah! Yay!

--Ben had a copy of The Oath on his bookshelf.

--I think Ben was right about Locke healing people. (He picked up Rose's medicine (not dead), he's spent time with Ben (walking), he ditched Boone (dead), he killed Mikhail (alive), he's himself (walking), he built Claire that crib with her (didn't die from pregnancy)) Someone should tell Sun to hang with Locke. If Locke can heal people, is he Jacob's equivalent.

--The ruins (colum, foot statue) are a sacred place that can heal people. I only think this if Ben is wrong about Locke healing people. And, if so, the island can easily heal a strangulation death.

--Fulfilling his life-long mission of killing the real Sawyer and deivering the letter did nothing for James and the interaction DEFINITELY didn't go as planned. He was not supposed to rip up that letter, but that was great writing.

--Cooper thinks he's dead and I loved that. "It's a litte too hot for heaven?" Cooper's names: Alan/Adam Seward, Anthony Cooper, Ted MacLaren, Tom Sawyer, Louis Jackson, and Paul.

Questions:

-How did Cooper get to the island?
    -Why did Rousseau need dynamite?
    -How did Penny know to look for the island?
    -Who built the ruins?
    -How did they find all the bodies!?
    -Whose covering up the crash?
    -Does Jack know that Juliet is still working for the Others?
    -What are Jack and Juliet hiding?
    -Can Locke really heal people?
    -More!

Dialogue:

Are you kidding me? The episode was written by Damon and Carlton, of course it had amazing dialouge! For serious, this week's writing was just pure, pure awesomeness. There were so many great lines and the scene between Sawyer vs. Sawyer and Cooper reading the letter was brilliant and totally unexpected (The ripping up the letter and how Cooper was a d**k until the end). I also really liked that Sawyer and Locke got some time together; they are both really great characters. Here are some of the great one-liners:

-Cooper calling Ben "bug-eye"
    -Sawyer: Sawyer's my name too.
    -Cooper: Little hot for heaven, isn't it?
    -Naomi: Remind me not to rescue you, Sayid.
    -The scene between Ben and Locke in the tent.
    -All the flashbacks
    -Pretty much everything.

Next Week/Season on LOST:

Okay, I'm going on record right now saying that next week's LOST is going to blow everyone's mind. Not only is it written by my 1st and 3rd favorite non Damon or Carlton writers, but it's a FARKING BEN FLASHBACK! Do you understand how epic that it is?! Who would've thought back in season 2 that we would one day get a Henry Gale flashback? I sure didn't. Anyway, because of these reasons, it's going to be awesome: it's a Ben flashback; it's co-written by Drew Goddard; more Locke; Sawyer now knows Juliet is a mole; the coolest episode title for any episode of LOST ever; did I mention it's a Ben flashback? I'm guessing that the overall review will be between 9.4 and 9.6. Hopefully, though, people will like it more than that and it will be a 9.7 or 9.8. I mean, I misjudged this week's episode by +.2; so, you never know.

Can you believe there are only 3 (4 really) episodes left in the season!!!! Ahh!!!!! I can't believe it! It's been such a great season and I want more! I need more! 7 months, people! 7 painful months!

Season 4 is going to rock your world. I'm telling you, it's going to be all about the island. The Ruins galore.

Top 10 Episodes Update:

7. Walkabout
    8. Man of Science, Man of Faith
    9. Enter 77
    10. All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues
  • This episode was fantastic!

This episode was awesome mostly for revealing one of the biggest LOST cross overs to date. And secondly for getting back to Locke. This episode was well written, well acted and was defiantly one of the best of this season. The LOST writing team continue to keep me at the edge of my seat, and I know I just cant wait for the next episode "The Man Behind The Curtain". From what I've heard about it were going to be getting some good answers and conclusions about Ben's childhood and life on the island. Great work LOST writers your going great.
  • This episode took my breath away.

When watching season 1, I became totally obsessed with this show. I would try to solve the mysteries and find other people to talk to about my theories. Lost consumed my conversations; it's all I could talk about.

Then season 2 came around. It was still good, but I felt myself losing that connection. By the second half of Season 3, I would miss episodes and not really care all that much. I'd go up to 3 weeks without watching Lost at all.

But with this episode, I've become obsessed again.

This was the first episode that had me actually shouting at the TV screen in a long time. There were so many "WTF?" moments, it's hard to keep track of them all. The truth about Locke's dad was a shocker to say the least, and the scene between him and Sawyer was phenominal. Seeing the Others crowd around Locke when he was supposed to kill his father was just plain disturbing (in a good way). I was also incredibly pleased to see the Black Rock again.

But so many questions have come up. What is Danielle doing with the dynamite? What could the Others have in store for Locke? What is it that Jack and Juliette aren't telling Kate? And of course, we once again find ourselves repeating the words of Charlie (from the pilot): "Guys, where are we?"

All in all, this was one of the best episodes I've ever seen.
  • excellent

Locke heads back to the camp to meet up with Sawyer. They head to the forest to deal with something. Hurley, Jinn, Desmond and Charlie are hiding Naomi from the other survivors since they stopped trusting Jack ever since he returned. This is a really exciting episode, a chapter of Locke's life ended but another begins. He's new journey with the others is beginning. So much is shown in this episode, there are multiple storylines, it's so exciting, within the 42 minute episode, we see so much stuff. I really can't wait for the next one, I want more lost.
  • I am so glad that bastard died!

Awesome episode!! If I was Locke I would of killed Anothney easy! He pushed Locke out a window for god sake! It is true that he is the real Sawyer and I am so glad Sawyer(James) strangled him. Everyone is saying how some of the Others want Ben dead and some thought Richard because he did give Locke that file and told him he should get someone else to kill Anothney but if I was Locke I could kill perfectly. So I bet Jack is in with the Juilet plan because they had a sercret(both of them)! And in a future episode it says something about Jack getting away with the others for good.
  • Wow. Some real skeletons leap out of the closet, Sawyer has done a favor for both himself and Locke, Ben's jealousy towards Locke is plain as day, and a 'secret' between Jack and Juliet is exposed...

This episode was. the. BOMB. Would you like to know why? Because I am a Sawyer FANGIRL. I know, I know, so are a lot of you women LOST-fans out there, but out of everything I know about the other characters (habits, traits, personalities, secrets, etc.), I probably know Sawyer's the best. I could get some kind of College Degree on him, though I doubt that's possible to attain. Continuity wise (pertaining to him), it kept true to the fact that he doesn't like to kill people just for the fun of it. If he's gonna kill, there's got to be a good enough reason. This is probably because Damon and Carlton wrote this episode (no offense to the other amazing staff writers). Now Anthony's big mouth was indoubtedly the reason for his demise. That guy wouldn't stop talking, and his ego was at least twice the size of his mouth. If I were in Sawyer's position, I probably would've done the same thing.

Now I'm sure all you LOST bloggers out there will go rabid over the old 'purgatory' theories everyone floated around way back in the golden years of Season 1, since Anthony kept talking about how they really WERE in Hell (my mom also brought the 'spirit world' theory to me), I went ahead and thought (and told my mom) that if they were dead, how do you die again? I thought life after death would be eternal. Now, the whole "Jack and Juliet have a secret" thing took me by surprise, and as did the whole "Locke will join the Others: thing as well. But let me tell you this, the last few episodes before 322 Through the Looking Glass will set the stage for some massive war that will happen, in which lives will be lost on each side and people like Kate and Sun will be taken, from what the magazine and the online sources are hinting at. Whatever the case may be (*coughepisode12cough*), I am excited to find out what the Snake in the Mailbox actually is. (The episode was awesome, I have pretty much no major gripes over it.)
    Until 320 The Man Behind the Curtain (Ben and/or DHARMA flash)!
  • Locke conning a con-man, that's just priceless.

Now, I may be alone when i say this but i believe this was the best episode ever written or directed on the whole series of lost. A question wasn't just partially answered in this episode but it was concluded. Where had Locke gone? And what was to become of his father? Of course before Locke's father bit the bazooka or shall i say met his maker, he gave us another question to think about. "Are we in hell" or should i say are the castaways? Anything is possible in a show that brings people back from the dead and has a security system that can take the form of almost anything it chooses to be. Who's read Lord of the Flies? Most likely everyone at some point or another. For those who haven't, the book depicts the "beast within" and how all humans are savages if brought away from society. The book was based on kids stranded on an island and united as one they separated and started taking sides and killing their once friends. This is just like what has happened with James or shall i say Sawyer. James is the normal civilized person of the two alter egos, and Sawyer is the sociopath and the cold blooded murderer. His first "hit" was the wrong guy, but whats that old saying "third times a charm", in his case it was second. Of course Locke's father and Sawyer have to be interconnected just like everyone else on the island. They are all brought together for a reason which we will soon find out. Plus, the writers dont even have to cramp it into one season, they have 2 years left, so what is left to say....oh yes this shall do just fine..

To Be Concluded in the year of 2009...
  • Intense, climactic and satisfying execution of a confrontation we've been waiting 3 seasons for!

Amazing episode. Just phenomenal. Just phenomenal!!! Sure, a lot of us could see the Cooper/Sawyer angle coming a mile off, but the way it was handled couldn't really have been done better. Josh Hollaway was breathtaking in this episode - Such incredible intensity! I loved Locke walking into the jungle, alone, at the end -- a moment that will go down int he LOST mythos as classic! It'll be interesting to see what happens next with him -- he's absolutely one of my favourite characters.

Even though Jack/Juliet are now obviously in cahoots, I still think they are working against the Others. It looks suspicious now but whatever they're up to, it's for the good of the 815ers. Just one of the very best episodes of the season and the series as a whole!
  • Superb, it's going from strength to strength, week by week

Another perfect episode, setting up another blinding episode next week im sure. Locke and Sawyer totally awesome again, great acting in those scenes. The Naomi storyline cranks things up even more, and paints a perfect picture, and the " We should tell her line" fitted in perfect.
    Hats off, superb, perfect, keep it coming :)
  • Season`s best so far!

Really good episode..clearly this season`s best episode..so far! The episode was well plotted! The Sawyer-Locke stuff was awesome. I got pissed off with Kate. can`t she keep her mouth shut???? I hate jack..truly!!! He sucks!! I`m wondering what him and Juliete are hiding..is kate pregnant???? The fact that the crashed plane was found with all dead bodied is pretty confusing! Are they really in hell? or the governmentis just covering that! i love this show!
  • I can't agree!

I don't know which side should I be! On lock's side or ... his losties friends!? I can't agree with what he did, by closing Sawyer and his dady together! If he wanned like his dad to be dead, then he should do that himself! But on the other site, his informations about Juliet, worth a lot, i hope Sawyer will get back quickly, before Juliet will do something bad, and to wake up Jack, cause since with Juliet, the producers forgot about Jack, i don't like how he plays now!

One mistake from Kate, I toth she's smarter than looks, but i was wrong, she should't tell Jack about Naomi in front of Juliet! Now Juliet will tell that to Ben! One thing i bearly wait to see in the next episode. What does Juliet and Jack knows about Juliet, and they didn't want to tell her!
  • Ammmaaaaaaziiing!

We might want to have more flashback episodes. They completely worked for me. We got a bit out of every character and the show felt more of an ensemble today. Locke and Sawyer worked well together. Josh Holloway had some fantastic scenes this week and his scenes with Anthony Cooper just worked for me. I'm happy he's been killed though. He was really starting to piss me off and the writers did well to cut him out of the show. He was pure evil. He stook to his habits until the end. He didn't dare apologize to Sawyer or Locke. He was an evil man. The episode, all in all, just rocked. For my complete review, head to: http://www.thetvwatcher.com/lost3_19.html

Enjoy!
  • Ammmaaaaaaziiing!

Enjoy!
  • Next week is the make or break episode. They have built a lot questions up and if they go a certain direction the show with be great and if they don't I will stop watching.

I loved the show. Give it a ten. This could be the best episode, yet if they go a certain way (the hell/purgatory route) this might have actually been the worst episode. It was a transition to something really interesting or a transition to the end of a bad cop out. I think Locke will be some kind of savior character (the Jacob they refer too). I feel, season 4 will deal with Locke's followers and their conflict against the non-believers from the survivor side (that are still focused with leaving "paradise.") We shall see. I think that "the others" faked the plane crash, which means that they have big connections. And I can see the power struggle between Ben and John beginning. I also think Jack is a big mole himself. I also think Walt and Michael will be back.
  • Excellent!A Lock-centric episode without flashbacks of his life.

Locke returns to the beach and finds Sawyer. He takes him to the "black rock" where he had his father there.Lock wanted Sawyer to kill him.And he actually achieves that! Sawyer discovered that Cooper was the man that he had been searching all this time, he understood that Cooper was the man who destroyed his family when he was a child. As a result Sawyer kills him and Locke takes his father's body with him because Ben told him to return back only if he had his father's dead body.
    At the beach Desmond/Charlie/Hurley/Jin try to keep Naomi hidden but they tell Sayid what happened and then Kate finds out about it. She tells Jack and Juliet..
    The episode was incredible,one of the best!
  • For the first time ever I'm giving an episode a full 10.0! This was also clearly the most darkest Lost episode ever.

Wow. Wow!! What an episode. A true classic.

Very revealing - but on the same time very puzzling in the best possible Lost style. This episode kept in full grasp from the start till end. This was also clearly the most darkest and grimmest Lost episode ever...

Are they dead? Are they in hell? I doubt it, especially as the series' creators have denied that scenario before. On the other hand - what else could they say? :)

Many things revealed; both to viewers and to the characters in the story. Still many more mysteries arising. Magnificent!

I'm calculating minutes until the next episode...
  • That was amazing I don't know how it can get much better in the last few episodes of the season but I think somehow it will. (Contains Spoilers)

What a freaking crazy episode. It was Locke madness, so Iguess I will start with that. We finally came back to Lockes's Dad who is the guy that was a fireman man on that show Emergency, I remember it used to be on TV Land, because it was on before our time. I was a good show. Anyways, as Locke's dad he is a real **** This was another pretty dark episode, but well written. I wasn't sure at first when Locke came back because he has taken so much **** from his Dad, I didn't think he would even have someone else kill him like Ben wanted. I thought when he 1st came to the camp before we knew and he told Sawyer that he had Ben that something was up but I thought maybe they brainwashed him and he was going to setup Sawyer. I'm glad that wasn't the case. Well he sort of setup Sawyer but differently. I thought it was well written with Locke's Dad was the one that pretty much screwed over Sawyers family. I again thought that was out of character to get someone to kill somebody especially his Dad he has so many reasons to want him dead but he is so afraid of him it seemed weird that he would do that, a little out of character. I think he finally was fed up maybe. Sawyer had to relive alot of crap in his childhood, and now has to deal with killing another person. I personally am glad his Dad is gone. I also didn't realize Locke's Dad had something to do with the tour Locke wasn't allowed on, they mentioned something about that last night. I'm still wondering because he is taking his Dad's dead body back to Ben if he is trying to become an other or really infultrating them. I believe the latter, because he gave Sawyer the proof about that **** Juliette. That will be interesting, according to the previews what happens with her and how the camp get ready if they find out the part about the others are going to raid them. To back track a little, I know things are never as they seem on this show and they kept pushing the hell part which obviously isn't true because if he they dead he couldn't have killed Lockes Dad, because he would have already been dead. I think the fact they are trying to make you think one thing, is some sort of diversion, to surprise everyone. I still am not sure what to say about the whol;e thing last week when the lady from the chopper, (who I now think might be the chick that was on Las Vegas) said about the remains of the reckage was found with no survivors, that's very weird and I'm sure will come about later. I'm not so sure about her either even though Penny sent her for Desmond supposedly.

I loved this episode it really had me questioning alot of things and alot of the characters. It's hard to say what is what and who is on the level or not, but something seems fishy about that episode with alot of different people. Jack & Locke are now not as trustworthy characters possibly, or at least it may seem that way for the moment.
  • Another stunning episode. [SPOILERS]

Sometimes I write full reviews, but this one is more of a random collection of thoughts from my head...

WOW.

That was one of the best of the season - heck, of the whole series.

Shame that some people on the Net figured it out in advance, so it wasn't as much of a surprise for me. But still, a very tense episode. I wasn't sure if Sawyer was gonna go through with it or not. Of course, with Eyepatch Guy coming back to life, who knows? I hope Locke's dad isn't still alive, though.

Still, how could it possibly have inspired the whole group if Locke had killed his own dad? All the adults and kids are standing out there watching, then Locke slits his own dad's throat - then what? They all start cheering? Pretty twisted. Locke made the right decision in not killing his dad himself. And he even should have let Sawyer know about it, though forcing Sawyer into a murderous situation was not exactly the best idea, to say the least. And why would Locke want to rejoin the Others when he gets treated like this? I wouldn't want to rejoin a group that gets disappointed in me if I don't kill my dad. Anyway...I'm rambling.

The monster doesn't look too kindly on killing. I wonder if it will come after Sawyer now...or Locke?

And what is Rousseau doing with that dynamite? That was hilarious when she and Locke had that moment in the Black Rock. They were both trying to be oh-so-casual about the strange things they were doing.

The writers are really playing up this whole they're-all-dead thing. Both the crashlanded pilot and Locke's dad seemed to think so. But I'm not buying it. The writers flatly said they're not dead right from the first episode. But I'm enjoying the ride.

And why were Jack and Juliet not surprised about the crashlanded pilot? What did they mean, "it's not the right time to tell" Kate?

This is the first episode in a while where I'm already DESPERATE to see next week's episode. :)
  • One of the best.

Is Locke a bumbling idiot any more? Heck no. After attempting to regain former greatness in S.O.S. and Further Instructions, Locke is back full swing in this episode. I actually got some chills when he said "I'm on my own journey now." And the scene with Sawyer and... well, Sawyer was fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better way for Anthony Cooper to die. He really was the epitome of evil. I'm surprised they brought up the concept of hell in this episode. Now people are going to go around spreading rumors of Purgatory again. But at least it was explicitly stated that the 'magic box' is a metaphor. I was tired of people talking about that.
  • Awesome! Awesome, awesome, awesome awsome!

Everything is approaching a fever pitch. Why does Rousseau want explosives? Sawyer knows Juliet is a mole, and has the proof! Sawyer kills Cooper!!! Locke is going to learn everything! We're finally getting answers! It's a non-stop roller coaster ride to the finale! Jack and Juliet have a secret! Cooper confirms that flight 815 was found! It was a cover-up, I tell you! A cover-up! We get to see the Black Rock again! Richard Alpert is disillusioned with Ben! Kate and Sawyer keep having sex, despite knowing it could kill them! It's wonderful madness! I told you Naomi was sent by Penny!
  • One of the best episodes ever.

Wow what an episode, i totally loved this one. This episode was all about Locke and the time he spent away from the camp. We learn a little more about what the others want him to do, kill his father but he is unable to. So Ben tells him that unless he murders his father and brings the body back with him, he will not be welcome to join them. Meanwhile one of the others tells Locke and Sawyer is capable of the murder becuase Cooper was responsible for his father and mothers murder. So John locks Sawyer in with Cooper at the black rock and they talk. Also the french woman turns up at the Black Rock looking for dinamite. So finally Saywer realises that Cooper was resposible for his parents deaths when he reveals that he used to con people for a living and often went by the name Sawyer. He also tells Sawyer that they are all dead and are in hell because he remembers being in a car crash and at the hospital then it all went black and he woke up in the others camp. Saywer dimisses what he is saying but are there truths to his words?

Sawyer decided to murder him. John thanks him and tells Sawyer that Juliet is a trator. meanwhile John heads off back to the others with Cooper on his shoulders. Finally Kate talks to Jack and tells him that no one trusts him anymore and Juliet says to him that we shoudl tell Kate but Jack says no. They will not tell Kate what they are talking about. And the new islander tells us more aboutt eh plane crash and how there is a ship 80 miles away.

Wow what an episode. Simply fantastic can't want for next week lets hope that it is even better than this week!
  • Great acting!!

This episode was great! both the flashbacks and "real" episode were awsome, when we experienced what lockes been up to while he were with the others.
    First i must say that josh halloway as plays sawyer acted brilliant, as locke.
    And the best actor on the isalnd according to me must be Michel emmersson who plays Ben.
    He always look so evil and i think the fact that he is so smart and his mindgames scares me the most.
    In the episode locke gets sawyer to kill his own father "sawyer" so that locke may go with the others.

On the beach des, chalie, jin and hurley consider who they should tell about the girl they found, as they dont trust Jack.

Ive watshed next weeks promo and it looks like it will be even better than this episode.
  • this is how all lost episodes should be

locke has always been my favourite lost character with sawyer running at a very close second and putting them together the way they did in this episode was pure genius. their interaction was brilliant and the final moments of the episode really gave the impression that they were finally putting a massive issue to rest. it was totally fitting that sawyer be the one to kill lockes dad and the shows producers could have really screwed up the sawyer - sawyer scenes, but they didn't it was all put together perfectly. i also quite like the fact that a lot of the others are in awe of locke. i can't wait to see bens face when locke shows up in the next epsiode carrying that body. danielles cameo was priceless and i can't wait to see what she's gonna do with that dynamite.
< 1 2 3 4 5