Lost

The Brig

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 2007 on ABC

• Golly, I was really hoping Sawyer was going to kill Ben as advertised on the pre show promos. Too bad, I was going to celebrate on the Brooklyn Bridge I just purchased.

I am amazed that some Lost viewers continue to praise the predictable writing on this show.My continual complain about the characters (Flight 815 castaways) is that they always seem to take other characters' motivation at face value. Desmond's point of not trusting Jack is well taken but the other castaways should have also taken in consideration : Do they trust Desmond? As we have seen with Michael and Sawyer, these folks can be manipulated to kill. Locke's claim that he's not really part of the Others is false. He was able to manipulate Sawyer into killing someone just as Ben was able to manipulate Michael into killing Ana Lucia.I have lost my empathy with these (Flight 815)characters because they 're either paper tigers or obedient sheep.Just once, I would like to see one character wipe the smirk off of Ben/Juliet's faces by doing something unexpected. Even Sawyer should have been angry enough at being manipulated by Locke to phyiscally assault Locke. I wish the Lost writers would take into account that unfortunely, in the real world, violence can occur unexpectedly and from the person you least expect.
  • Pretty interesting.

"The Brig" is like a prison on a boat, ship or a vehicle. In this episode, Locke leads Sawyer to meet Anderson Cooper, the man who killed Sawyer's parents and Locke's daddy dearest.

In this episode Locke tricks Sawyer into killing Anderson Cooper. Hurley, Desmond, Charlie and Jin's secret becomes well-known when they needed Sayid's help. Kate eventually found out and Jack was not far behind to finding out, and so was Juliet.

This episode was a Locke-centric episode, meaning the flashbacks were centered on him. His flashbacks were on the island, telling us his story for the past 8 days he has been with the others. The others apparently wanted John to prove his worth and be able to join the others. To gain their trust though, John was asked to kill his own flesh and blood, his father. Locke being Locke did not kill his father. The others left him a trail to follow when he would eventually make the right decision. The flashback was good, but there wasn't really anything shocking or exciting to it.

Locke goes back to camp and tries to lead Sawyer into the jungle, making him think that he has Ben in hostage. Sawyer follows John hesitantly to the black rock where Ben is supposedly being held hostage. Locke leaves Sawyer with "Ben" and he gets the shock of his life when he finds out who the man being held hostage is. This story was just OK for me. I just liked the fact that Sawyer managed to seek revenge once and for all.

Sayid finds out about Naomi, the girl who Desmond and the others find in the jungle. Kate finds out when she sees Sayid testing out the radio. Kate goes and tells Jack and Juliet and sets him straight. This sub-plot was not at all intriguing. Overall a weaker Lost episode than most of them, but it wasn't all that bad.
  • I may be in a minority of one, but I didn't think that this episode was all that.

7.1
    Don't get me wrong it was a decent effort, but as far back as Hurley's episode was the last one I'd class as anything less than great. Although there were some great scenes, Sawyer killing Locke's dad was excellent, it felt that this episode should have been much more.

The first flashback is said to be 8 days ago, and then there's a sudden jump to "3 days ago"! That's almost a week they left out. Fair enough there may not've been much that happened then, but surely showing all the others leave their home from Locke's view wasn't too much too ask.

There was nothing really revolutionary about the flashbacks, nice too see Ben can walk again and how some of the others feel, but that was about it. As a side note the last time Ben was seen outwith a flashback was way back in "The man from Talahasse", since then he's only appeared in flashbacks of Paulo, Juliet and Locke. The main thing this week was still Locke and his dad, which isn't bad, but more info of the others would've been nice.

Personally I was more interested in Naomi's story, which was, for obvious reasons, a B-story here. That was pretty cool, also confirmation from Cooper that she wasn't lying about the plane being found. Still, with the recent run of form the show's had I felt that they should've done better here.
  • If they turn out to be dead, I'm going to stop watching.

While I will agree with Locke's father, that the island really does feel like a "hell" of sorts. But if it turns out that they are all really dead, I will just have to stop watching.

Why? Well, it seems to me that the island is full of questions. Over three seasons, we've been provided with very few answers - even if there are a few. Even the answers we get are usually followed by twice the number of questions that it answered in the first place. If this turns out to be some sort of imaginary place - whether they're dead or if they're in a Matrix-like bio-chamber hooked up to drugs and tubes - those questions won't need to be answered, and we will be left hanging.

Now, I realise that this is an unlikely storyline and it's only planted as an idea to give us a few more questions to ponder over. But it is frustrating all the same.
  • If they're all really dead, I'm going to stop watching.

• This is probably the last LOST season I am gonna watch. Season 1 and 2 had a story line, but now I don't see how writers will give us some reasonable explanation about the things that happen. ABS will bankrupt before we have a clue what is going on...

7.9
    The things are getting worse... The first two season there was a thrill, people could guess some things, they were making screen-shots to notice some small detail that give us a clue. But now I have the feeling that they don't even know how they will stick the mystery up. There are too much things to think about and there is no such a connection between them as the first two season had.

I am really going to stop watching LOST if part of the things don't become clear till the end of the season. As it seems the producers are going to explore this story until they get $$$ from it, but probably they will loose one fan next season. I've red that some of the actors have contracts for 6 seasons, which means at LEAST 6 seasons. And most probably the events are not going to be 100% clear, because new come up and we don't get resolution for the old ones. The first 2 seasons were really good...
  • Sawyer finally gets his revenge.

-Once again, Ben proves that he is not one of "the good guys”. Trying to make Locke kill his father? I guess Richard is right, Ben knew Locke couldn't do it. (otherwise, his knowledge of human nature sucks. Even Cooper knew he couldn't do it)
    -I liked Kevin Tighe's character in this episode, every time you think he can't be a bigger jerk, he proves you wrong ;)
    -My personal highlight was of course Coopers death. Josh Holloway did a great job in this scene (“You wanna go to hell?!!” ;))
    -I think this will have a great impact on Sawyer, he finally killed the man who ruined his life and made him what he is
    -Fortunately Locke told Sawyer about the Others' plan
    -If Ben was telling the truth about Coopers abduction, who it was then? Hanso? Whidmore? imo, think Ben was lying again
    -I'm glad about Richards statement, that the fertility problem is just a side issue. I hope there is a much bigger mystery about the Others
  • Locke leads Sawyer to "Ben" claiming he wants Sawyer to kill him. We learn a little more about Naomi and Jack and Juliet seem to have a secret.

This episode was okay. It suffered from Lost trying to be provocative and exciting by "telling us something," but that something is irrelevant or highly predictable. Was I shocked that Locke's father was "Sawyer"? Nope, not one bit at all, in fact if he had not been I would have been really surprised. Did we really learn anything this episode? Eh..not really. Is this season or show going anywhere? I am starting to wonder.... I am hopeful for the next few episodes. A Ben centric episode next week sounds exciting. I also am curious about the secret Juliet and Jack seem to be hiding.
  • Locke Must Kill his father to become one of the others.

The producers love to hint at purgatory but then immediately squash the thought of them all being dead. This was evident in this episode once again as Cooper presumed he was in hell.

The obvious was revealed in this episode that Cooper is the real Sawyer and Sawyer finally got his revenge. It might be that im a twisted individual but I wanted Sawyer to make him suffer. He deserves it. Naomi reveals how she got onto the Island and its a bit of a mind bender, why was Penelope looking for a electromagnetic thing, im presuming she is looking for Desmond but how has she got so close? Im guessing we will see Penelope reach the Island in the season finale. The losties mistrust of Jack is understandable. Jack and Julliets reaction to the arrival of someone new is kind of strange. Im guessing we will find out what they know next week along with Julliets secret revealed by Sawyer. Should be interesting.
  • Great to have Locke back, but this was a dull episode

I was eagerly anticipating the return of Locke, and while his demeanor had changed noticeably, making him very intriguing, this episode did not really advance the plot at all. The writing lacked the crispness of traditional "Lost" episodes and there were no surprising cliffhangers or "A-HA!" revealing moments.

It was pretty clear that Locke was taking Sawyer not to see Ben, but to see Locke's father. And the fact that he had conned Sawyer's mother was already a well-known fact. The brief reappearance of Rousseau was amusing since she always seems to come and go so suddenly! Where does she run off to, anyway?? And the "revenge" Sawyer took on his namesake sure reminded me a lot of Fayed's death on "24" a few weeks ago. It was pretty clear that Sawyer would kill him, too. As usual, Ben gets his way by manipulating people. Kate was her stupid-self as usual, ignoring her distrust in Juliette and blabbing all the island gossip to Jack. Why does he need to know anyway? I really don't like how everybody runs to Jack whenever they need advice or there is a problem. He's more flawed than all the rest put together. We get some more evidence to support the theory that the passengers are actually dead -- the parachuter claims to be from a rescue ship searching for the plane wreckage at the bottom of the ocean. Interesting theory, but I'm not buying into it until all is said and done. The writers have teased us with other theories before. Let's see how it all plays out.

The most interesting part of the episode was the brief exchange between Jack and Juliette where they debate whether or not to tell Kate their secret (what is it?!?!). The teasers for next week's episode look mighty tempting, so I'm chalking this episode up to just advancing the plot a little bit and setting up some big moments next week.
  • A painfully contrived episode with very little development. The fact that this programme is going to be dragged on for another 2 seasons, suggests that the audience are simply puppets. Highly watchable and exciting, but to what avail exactly?

This episode is a Locke flashback. It is another one of these episodes to feature flashbacks on the island. To the watcher and a cynic, it is like- Oh, so now they've decided to tell us where John has been gone all this time. And (*SPOILER*) Naomi landing on the island is downright bizarre. This programme is nevertheless as exciting as it is weird. The plane crashing with no survivours- Surely purgoratory(also discredited, is a fairly reasonable theory). The characters MUST be dead. I don't know, but apparently ABC are piping the next few episodes as a dramatic climax. I am really hoping so as i haven't been too impressed by the series so far and i would say this has got to have been one of the better ones.
  • Sawyer finally confronts the man responsible for his parent's deaths, only to find it is in fact...Locke's father.

Well, this moment has been a long time coming. Since early on in the first season, we have known of the sad fate of sawyers parents, and of his childhood vow to have his vengeance upon the man responsible. However, never in a million years would I have imagined that in was John Lockes father! I suppose in retrospect, it was not too much of a suprise, considering the multiple con games Cooper has played on his estranged son in past episodes. Howeve, I didn't see this one coming, and that is the mark of great writing. I don't want to spoil any more for anyone, so if you haven't seen the episode, stop now. For the rest of you...Wow! Honestly, I did not expect Sawyer to actually kill him. I thought that after murdering the wrong guy in Sydney, his conscience would get the best of him. Not so. However, I predict that after this moment, Sawyer will be having serious psychological issues with it, especially because he himself is guilty of the same con games many times over. In my opinion, Sawyer has now fulfilled his destiny, as far as this show is concerned. That being said, I don't expect him to live much longer on this island. And that is sad for me, because I did so love his bad boy appeal.
  • Interesting to see where this goes. They leave breadcrumbs in episodes and sometime they are eaten by seagulls and sometimes they build into the plot.

Are they alive or dead? What will happen next week? Finally something to look ahead to, other episodes have been plot development and continuity to get from one situation to another.
    Now I am excited to watch. I tape the show because I am busy at that time of night every night, and sometimes it would take me a few weeks to catch up on the back episodes, that will not be the case next week. I will watch it before I go to bed.
    They did set us up when he tells Sawyer that he has Ben in the brig. We all wanted to see that.
    As for Sawyer finding out that Locke's father was also Tom Sawyer that brought him his misery in life, I should have put 2 and 2 together but didn't, but then it all came back to me.
    What is going to happen next week, who knows, but I will definitely watch.
  • Quite good! It's been a long time since the last my score was high like this.

This one was good and it opens a door and a window to some good resolutions to come for Lost. We will finally see (on next episode, I hope) if Jack is capable of facing the truth about Juliet (Sawyer comes back to the losties with the tape).

I would like to see what Locke will decide to do (I hope also, conclusion will come soon). Will he go back to the others and begin a dispute for the leadership of the gang? Well I am not quite sure if he is not being once more manipulated by them!!! About Sawyer and Kate, I like them together. Jack has never been my favorite character in the show, so I really don't mind him being alone (Juliet, GET OFF, I don' trust her and hope Jack will finally find it out by himself on next episode).

Finally, the girl, that came down from the skies, will hopefully give us some more concrete answers about the "other reality" ??.

What I sincerely hope for the future of "Lost"is that the writers give us some good answers and endings to the many plots they've created so far and, if for that it is necessary that this season be the last one. Please do so. Do not try to push your lucks for a next season if you do not have convincing plots to give to the audience.
  • Pretty good! Season is getting better!

You know, somewhere in the 2nd season we (my husband and I) had tossed around the idea that all the castaways were dead and this was purgatory, or limbo, between this world and the afterlife. Think about it.. The Others take some of the castaways and when we finally see them again they do not seem concerned about what happened to them. One of the others told Anna-Lucia she was not taken because she wasn't good enough... or not a good enough person. I can't remember. So the ones that didn't survive the crash probably went to the afterlife right away, the rest either were not good people or had to release something in this life to move on (like Locke holding on to the anger for his father)

Anyway, that is just our opinion. It does sort of make sense. If not then that's ok, I hope the season ends with at least a few questions answered.

It's definitely getting better, and next week's episode looks great!
  • Secrets, lies and Murder. James Finally meets his Sawyer In an insteresting place. Jack and Juliet have a secret Desmond wants to keep his secret. And Juliet's personal secret is now revealed. This episode all leads up the crazy finalie.

Everything that happened in the Brig is all leading up to the finalie. I enjoyed everybodys mistrust in Jack its finally come, and Im glad he didint really care are at least have his holy moment. Does Kate really expect for everyone to like her when she becomes a snitch, I found this to be just annoying but her love for Jack is blind by the blue eyed Juliet. At first I thought Jack and Juliets secret was that they were dating. Sawyer meets Locke and Locke manipulates Sawyer into thinking its Ben. I understand why he couldnt kill Cooper. It almost made me cry the way Cooper was so Ignorant and mean to Sawyer I felt for James so much. Sawyer kills Cooper in a gruesome attemt to do what Locke wants. How Random was it that Danielle was there shes up to somthing? The Flashbacks were in Micheal format as it reveals Lockes struggles. It didint really reveal much other then the Others seem so jungle/sacrificial esk to me. Yet they still have files on everybody? I dont know we all have our outrageous Theries. Okay Naomi tells them which I already speculated. Shes there to find Desmond hired by Penny since Penny found the location of when the Hatch exploded It reminds me of the Bermuda Triange are like the Lost City of Atlantis. Overall an emontional episode with many confrontations I enjoyed very much Untill the next episode.
  • It was good, but doesn't deserve the hype it is receiving.

The quality of this episode declined for me throughout the episode. Whether it was because I realized I was not going to receive any answers to my questions, or the fact they left us asking even more questions, "Should we tell her?"... what on Earth is that. Yes! Tell her!! Tell us! The storyline for this episode was very good, but I wouldn't go as far to say it was excellent. You could see the whole Sawyer-Anthony thing coming from a mile off. From the whole 'it's not really Ben it's Locke's dad' thing to 'I'm just gunna rip the letter up now' thing. I have absolutely nothing against this episode, I just think some people are hyping it way too much. I believe every single episode leading to the finale will be of this quality, leading into a perfect 10 from the finale.
  • Not that this was a bad episode, but it just felt...disappointing.

The acting was well below what I've grown used to on Lost. Especially the beginning. And though I hate to say it, its my least favorite Locke episode and in the top 5 least favorite of season 3 episodes. Personally, the episode moved very slowly and they spent an episode doing what could have been done in a couple minutes. Now, being a Locke episode, it was very overhyped. But the reason I gave it as high a score as I did is just because of a few things.
    1. The Beach Scenes.
    2. The Sawyer/Cooper Scenes. (Very greatly written)
    3. Richard Alpert's gay!
    and, 4. "If they arent on Purgatory, they must be................ in hell."
  • Fair

This episode is Locke centred and if you hate Locke it will make you hate him more and if you love him, you will love him more.

I unfortunately don't like him and this episode didn't do anything to change that. I enjoyed that he got ripped apart by Ben but I hated that he, again, used other people. I can't see why if he wants something done he doesn't do it himself.

The episode is not my favourite because it revealed almost nothing. There is somewhat of a glimmer that they are about to reveal something potentially huge but then the episode ends and we learn nothing.

Still, at least it gives us something to look forward to next week
  • Sawyer gets his revenge

We finally got the clarity that Locke's dad is actually the conman that Sawyer got his name from. But I never thought that he'd actually get so angry that he would kill him. I'm a bit disappointed, because I thought the character had evolved a little.
    Why would John wanna join the others? The only good thing about this is that the campers will finally know the truth about Juliet! And with John now living with the others, we'll find out more about the others and the island.
    About the island: I read a lot of times now that the writers have once again stressed that the characters are not dead and that the island is not some kind of hell. But it seems a little like it right now and with everything John's dad said, I don't know... seems likely!
  • Good episode Jack is up to something locke and sawyer are relieved after there pasts are put behind them (thats literally in loches case :P )

After watching the preview, i knew that it was a little too convenient for it to be Ben. However, this revealing conclusive way this was produced was pretty well done. Its intriguing how such a small inclusion can make a big impact. Such as, the french woman ( spelling of name is beyond me :P ) appearing for a split second hints for a bigger thing. Same with the tape recorder and other smalll points throughout. I think this was a good episode, but intrigued for further continuation of the story line. I knew Jack was up to something !!!!! grrrr! lol
  • Wow. Did I not want that to happen.

I wish Kate had never spoken. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who see this episode I suppose, but that is not for them to decide. That’s not to say I didn’t like this episode. Locke performances are always great. He is mystical and yet broken. I would have liked to see Locke give the Others one of his speeches instead of the choice he made. I believe he knows the island better than they do. I can't see that what happened will help John or Sawyer.
    I gave this episode a high score because this is the Lost I remember, where everyone one-ups everyone else. The Others find out about Sun and the Losties find Niome. The Others have a mole and the Losties have a mole. The Others devise a secret plan and the Losties discover it. Touché.
  • Another great episode.

Another great episode. Not as good as the last couple of episodes, but I still really enjoyed it. Jack just totally freaked me out at the end. What the hell do he and Juliet know that they won't even tell Kate? It really annoys me, there is definitely something weird about him. I've always suspected it since he came back to the beach, but yeah there's definitely something going on. At first I found it annoying that Charlie and co wouldn't tell Jack about Naomi, but after this I can see why. Jack what happened to you? The Locke flashbacks were awesome but very weird at the same time. Why did Locke need to kill his dad to continue with the others? Why did he go back to the camp afert he died? Why was Ben so willing to tell Locke things like Juliet being a spy when he knew that Locke could tell everyone on the beach? So many questions, so little answers! I'm not suprised that Sawyer killed whatever that guy's name is lol. I don't think he's a bad person for doing it. He was an evil person, he deserved to die. I don't really like Sawyer. but I actually really felt for him when he was telling him about his parents dying and when he was reading Sawyer's letter. How annoying was the guy when he kept saying that they weren't on the island? Did he really think they were in hell? LOL.
    Next week looks amazing! Looks like everyone finally finds out about Juliet being a spy. I'm hoping that this will make Jack come to his senses, but why do I have this horrible feeling he will stick up for her? I hope not.
  • Just waiting for next week to learn more....

I personally think they are in purgatory. I’m not sure though. People, like Juliet were alive when they brought her there but they put her to sleep for the journey. Did they kill her? Are the others Angles that can walk the island and also real world? I’m not sure. Is it a government project or a secrete government agency. I’m expecting the Smoking Man from X Files to walk out. I only say this because of the comments about the plane being found with everyone on board. Any insight would be great? I love how every episode tells you a bit more about each characters life before they were on the island. I’m still a bit confused about Locke’s father. I thought this before in the first time you meet him. He says, “You needed a father and I needed a kidney”. Is it his father or a con man that just knew that Locke had the same blood type? I will agree that the finale episode of the season is going to be big.
  • Not bad

This episode was ok. We got to see the death of Locke's dad who was the man that was indirectly responsible for the death of Sawyer's parents. As other people have mentioned I didn't like that Sawyer actually killed him. Sawyer's character has been built up recently with him taking on the role of leader while Jack was away. This has set the character back a bit now which is annoying as he is one of my favourite characters. Don't know why Locke wants to live with the others though. According to them your only special if you murder someone. It's like hey you used to be paralysed before you came to the island that's great but if you really want to impress us kill your daddy. Kate shows where her loyalties lie in this episode as she tells Jack about Naomi behind the others back. She shows her trust for Jack. He then immediately throws this back in her face by not telling her a secret that he and Juliet have. Still not sure whose side Juliet is on. Is she with Ben even though she hates him so he can somehow get her off the island or is she planning a double cross with Jack.
  • A defining for two characters ends in death

Ever since he landed on the island, Locke has been on a journey that has been becoming increasingly solitary, and it seemed pretty clear that the survivors weren't going to see him again, especially after he blew up the sub. So when he shows up in the teaser of 'The Brig' and tells Sawyer that he has kidnapped Ben, and has brought him back, we are instantly doubtful, especially when he tells him that he wants to kill Ben. This is particularly suspicious considering that he's barely exchanged two words with him since Sawyer humiliated him by tricking him into taking guns. His behavior isn't that of a vengeful man, though; he seems more detached calmly reciting the list of all the wrongs that Sawyer had committed before he came to the island. To be perfectly honest, he now sounds a lot like one of the Others, and we can soon see why.
    In the first flashback to an island event since Michael's encounter with the Others in Season 2's 'Three Minutes', we see that Locke was offered by Ben a chance to have the keys to the kingdom. However, Ben has been setting up Locke for his own special revenge, because of what we see. Everybody on the Others looks upon Locke with reverence, and it's clear they all think Locke is special. So Ben sets him up by telling him he has to make an offering--- the murder of his father. Considering all of the hell that we've seen Anthony Cooper put Locke through in his flashbacks, you would think that the man would jump at the chance to do him in. But as always, Locke has trouble following through. Cooper has a hold on him that he can't break, even when he truly does have all the power.

What Locke hasn't realized is that Ben's power is waning. Even though for the first time since his operation earlier this season, he is now able to walk, it's pretty clear that people don't trust him as much. This becomes obvious when Richard hands over Sawyer's file, all while reinforcing how special he is. Since Richard up until now has been seen as Ben's inferior, it's hard to believe he'd give in. We shall eventually learn that Richard has a longer history with Locke than he knows about--- mainly because it hasn't happened yet. (Confused? It will make sense--- sort of--- by Season 5.)

So Locke goes to see Sawyer and takes him to the Black Rock, which we haven't visited (though there've been a couple of trips there in Season 2) since 'Exodus' when they came to get the dynamite to open the hatch. Locke explains to him that this is a slaving ship, but doesn't bother to tell him how it ended up in the middle of the island, and Sawyer doesn't think to ask. (This just goes to prove how none of the survivors of this plane crash really seem to want an explanation for all the strange things that are happening on this island.) He then proceeds to lock Sawyer in the brig with Cooper, and then just sits there as Rousseau--- who we haven't seen since 'The Man From Tallahassee'--- comes to pick up dynamite. She doesn't ask about the noise; he doesn't ask what she wants the explosives for. Does anybody communicate around here?

Meanwhile, back on the beach, Hurley has persuaded his little group to bring Sayid in to their confidence about the woman who they saved. Her name is Naomi Dorrit, and she tells an interesting tale of what has happened to Oceanic 815, that she came hear to rescue Desmond because she was hired by Penelope Widmore, that there is a freighter roughly eighty nautical miles away, and that she may bring rescue if they can just fix her sat phone. They do fix it, but the signal is still being jammed. The secret doesn't stay secret for long because Kate finds out about it. No sooner does she learn about that then she runs straight to Jack and tells him everything. And Jack goes right back to the holier-than-thou man we had to endure for the last couple of seasons, especially in regard to Kate. And when she tells him that nobody trusts him any more, he doesn't seem to care much about that either. Have they gotten to Jack? They haven't, but his attitude sure seems that way.

Back in the brig, a critical confrontation is building. Cooper then proceeds to do something Locke has not seen fit to tell anyone--- something about their history together. He also tells Sawyer that he's pretty sure that he's gone to hell--- especially since he was rear ended on the I-10. (Did the Others have something to do with it? I think so, but my guess is we'll never know for sure.) Then the minute Sawyer hears how Cooper conned Locke out of a kidney, he realizes something that some other fans had theorized the minute they heard Cooper was a con man--- he's the man who conned Sawyer's parents out of $38,000 and indirectly caused both their deaths. The second he realizes he's face to face with his lifelong nemesis, he hands Cooper the letter that he's been carrying for almost thirty years. Only Cooper refuses to play along. He doesn't read the letter all the way through, he insults Sawyer's mother and Sawyer himself. It is the act of ripping the letter Sawyer has carried all this time--- that survived the island, the raft blowing up, the Others,--- that throws him into a blind rage. But the moment it's over---he realizes that his pain isn't gone. His parents are still dead, and he got no satisfaction from the kill. We see that when he reels out of the brig, vomiting and sick. His life has been for nothing. It's brilliant work, and Josh Holloway should have gotten an Emmy nomination for that scene alone.

Locke, in the meantime, is filled with peace. He has finally triumphed over Cooper, even if he didn't deal the final blow himself. And his revenge has left him satisfied. When he puts Cooper's body on his back, he doesn't seem to feel the weight of it, because the burden of his father has been lifted from his shoulder at last.

Admittedly, this episode is a bit of marking time before we go into the final stretch. But two of the major characters have fulfilled their lifelong goals. Before he leaves Sawyer, Locke hands him the tape that Juliet left for Ben in 'D.O.C.' and reveals his plans. However, he then sets off after the Others. He has no interest in schemes, and definitely doesn't want to be rescued. But he doesn't know just where this journey will take him.
    My score: 9
  • Probably the darkest episode ever.

After six episodes, just in time for sweeps, we return to the "dad in a box" reveal from the superb "The Man From Tallahassee". It makes sense for the narrative as the events in this episode serve as major stepping stones for Locke and Sawyer, which will propel them through the end of the season. Anthony Cooper being the real Sawyer, a theory that's been kicked around since his introduction in "Deus Ex Machina", was hardly shocking. Since they went that way, the payoff would have to be worth it. Thankfully, it is, and has some great performances, including some of Josh Holloway's best work. This episode has some of the darkest material so far, with revenge and its complicity painted in its ugly extreme, negating any redemption we've seen so far.

One thing of note: previews for previous episodes featured some moments from this one (particularly The Others gathering around the night Ben tried to get Locke to kill his father for the ads for "D.O.C."). Were some of these scenes meant to be spread out from episodes 13 to 18? It makes sense for them to scrap that idea and throw them all in this episode, which makes the overall package more effective than if they did another flashback story.

This episode could've easily been changed to a Sawyer episode without much alteration. A likely flashback scenario would've been about the effect Cooper had on Sawyer immediately after his parents' death, and how he became a con man. However, such pieces of evidence have been described before in previous Sawyer episodes, and considering some of the flack "Lost" has received for redundant flashbacks, it may have been better to focus on what happened to Locke when he went with The Others.

Sawyer was heading towards redemption. He stepped up as a leader in Jack's absence and started a relationship, albeit one on a faulty foundation, with Kate. Now he has exacted revenge against the man he blamed for ruining his life and the aftermath has left him shattered. Some figured that Sawyer would confront the real Sawyer (who had to be on the island somehow) at the end of the arc. Perhaps a fitting way for him to redeem himself would be to spare him. However, with Sawyer fulfilling the vendetta he's had since he was a child, where does his character have to go from here?

Recalling "Outlaws", one problem haunting Sawyer was his quest for revenge lead him to kill an innocent man who owed one of Sawyer's ex-associates money. The common interpretation is the boar in the episode was the island's manifestation of his prior incident, and sparing the animal was a sign of him heading towards the right path. Exacting his revenge in brutal fashion is a major step back, one that will likely take the end of the series to make up, if ever.

Cooper, who has been on the island only a short time, still faces the rule that those who don't face their past are placing themselves in danger. Short of saying Sawyer's mom was easy, Cooper does everything in his power not to repent or to feel remorse for what he did. On the other hand, he thinks he's in hell, so what good would repenting do? His story getting to the island offers another glimpse into just how powerful Mittelos/The Others are in the outside world, that they can get someone that easily.

Unlike the common cliché, the test for Locke was to see if he could kill his father, not find the strength to spare him. This incident makes us question exactly what they mean when they call themselves "good people" if they're willing to let someone, albeit a bad guy, be murdered in cold blood. If more was known about The Others this may be clear, but it seems as though it'll be some time before that happens. Perhaps they are the extreme Locke is in danger of becoming.

Richard makes a fair assessment that the incident served to embarrass Locke in front of The Others, who are in awe of his miraculous healing. Ben's jealousy has manifested before, but now it's clear that he is fighting for his leadership role in The Others. Richard, who seemed to be a neutral force among The Others, stages a minor coup by giving Locke the key to Cooper's death, and by that, further access to The Others.

While Locke no longer has his father hanging over him, his quest to the heart of the island is troubling. He no longer cares for anyone but himself. It doesn't matter to him that Sawyer has to kill again, so long as it helps Locke achieve his perceived destiny. Compare this to Locke from the end of the second season, where his lack of faith in the island caused him to disregard everyone, with near deadly results. This time the pendulum has swayed to the new extreme.

His need for acceptance is also a major factor in his story. He did not move on after his father's death (symbolized by his Christ-like bearing of the body in the end), but replaced his desire for a meaningful relationship with his father with one with Ben. Despite their shaky relationship, Locke somehow thinks Ben is key to getting what he wants. Although Ben is jealous of Locke's connection to the island, he is still a master manipulator, getting Locke to dismiss that notion. Ultimately Locke will have to return to the person we first met in the beginning, only without the need to have someone's approval, if he is to have peace.

It was about time we saw The Black Rock again. One of the great surprises of the end of the first season was the reveal that The Black Rock wasn't literally a black rock. Its strange history was explored on "The Lost Experience", but I won't go into detail here. Locke's decision to bring Sawyer there is also a worthy topic (it may be because none of the remaining hatches Locke knows of have a room that would serve that function).

Although no explanation is given to how she got out of the Barracks or what she did after seeing her daughter, Rousseau's cameo was a kooky treat. Considering she never returned with the crate of dynamite, she must have something big planned. It would make sense for her to be more calculated in her attempt to get her revenge against The Others, and that would require pooling all her resources.

The "old place" the Others take Locke to, with a pillar used to hold Cooper captive, could be connected to the infamous four-toed statue from "Live Together, Die Alone". The architecture could easily have been from the same era, and there's no confirmation or denial that the foot is nearby. It hints again at the larger history of the island: one that goes beyond Dharma's arrival in the 70s. One thing that should be addressed eventually is what prompted the mass exodus from the Barracks and why were the Ruins the destination, but that may be for another episode.

Like The Others' camp, divisions are forming over the new arrival. While they would've gone to Jack immediately before, now they are keeping secret in Hurley's tent. Getting Sayid involved was a wise choice since he is the highest profile anti-Other of the castaways still on the beach, not to mention his unequaled ability to read people. This technique doesn't make him friends with Naomi, as he gets rather confrontational when he asks if the search party can corroborate any of her story. Since it is "Lost", it would make sense for her to have some past errors and sins.

Obviously, the secret keeping is going to be very costly for the group, as seen when Kate finds out about Naomi and confronts Jack about what his friends are doing. For the first time Jack knows what his allignment with Juliet is costing him in terms of his leadership status in the group. Jack's ego clearly clouded his judgment. It never occurred to him that spending a week and a half with The Others would make some people suspicious of his motives when he got back, considering what happened with Michael?

Juliet hints at a master plan she has concocted with Jack, but he for some reason shuts her down. Ironically, he wants to be taken on faith rather than openly give out what these plans are, even to trusted allies like Kate.

Much like Locke, this episode is the darkest "Lost" has ever been. Considering how obvious the reveal of the episode was, the way it played out more than made up for it. As the season winds down, the stakes are continually being raised and character's roles are being challenged, which has been fascinating to watch.
  • John Locke is reunited with his father and Saywer finally find the man responsible for the deaths of his mother and father.

When John Locke is challenged by Ben and the Others to prove to them that he is indeed special, by killing his own father, he cannot. Ben and the rest are disappointed, but Richard, unbeknownst to Ben, suggests a solution. Find someone else to kill him, and he's got just the man who just happens to have been on the island all along: Sawyer.

John Locke tricks Sawyer in coming with him by tellin him he's captured Ben but when they arrive at the remains of the slave ship, John locks his father and Sawyer in a cabin. Saywer has no intention of killing the man, that is, until he discovers who the man is. The admitted con man who used the name he has taken for his own.

An excellent script and well-acted by Holloway. His almost life-long desire to avenge the death of his parents comes to fruition, yet after the deed is done, he does not seem happy.

Sayid, Charlie, Desmond and Hurly are still hiding the woman who parachuted out of a helicopter, alledgedly. When Kate discovers Sayid with the sat phone and is told the truth, she goes to confront Jack and tells him people no longer trust him, that's why he wasn't told about the woman.

The script and actors combine to make the saying 'divide and conquer' come to life.

At the end of the episode, John Locke drops the hint and provides proof to Sawyer that Juliet is a mole. A nice teaser for next week's episode.
  • Sawyer gets something, he's been waiting a long time for...

Now who really thought Locke kidnapped Ben, raise your hands....That's what I thought...Nobody really thought that he did...At least I hope so. It was good to see that Sawyer finally got what he wanted for what happened to his parents, and Locke's father is just the nicest person ever, it couldn't have happened to a better guy. That guy was just an out and out, I can't say the word because I'd get a TOS violation, but good riddance he's gone, and will more than likely only show up in flashbacks. Also, what does Jack and Juliette have to tell everyone?...I bet it's a something big...But, I'm just enjoying the ride.
  • Mystery returns to Lost in a major fashion. Lock fails a test to prove that he is a savior to the others, only to prove that he is driven enough to get another character to do his dirty work for him. Also, the return of the Black Rock!

The Others show that they are not so concerned with the value of everyday life. When they gather round to watch Locke kill Cooper, they show that a commitment to the group and the ability to conquer your past is more important than every life. Or is this only because Cooper came from "the box?" The most interesting part of the show was to watch the Others in the background looking up to Locke, supposedly looking for a new leader. "Unless you're carrying your father's body on your back, don't bother." Why do they want to follow a murderer? Is this a strength they look for?

Cooper's story of how he arrived on the island and how he believes it is hell is intriguing and adds a whole new element of mystery and fantasy to the show. Though I feel that this is "jumping the shark," I think the writers are smarter than this and are just giving us a false lead.

Cooper's character, dialogue, and acting were perfect. Locke did great too. Ben's manipulation, and Robert's too, is brilliant, I love this show. I can't wait until next week and the island flashbacks. I have a feeling though that the others are going to go through a doorway to another place, somewhere off island.
< 1 2 3 4 5