Lost

The Brig

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 2007 on ABC

• Sawyer and Locke connected

This is one of my favorite episodes because it's interesting to see how one man, Locke's father, can affect two men, Sawyer and Locke, so differently. And yet, in the end, they both need him to die.

This episode also introduces the idea that the survivors may in fact be dead, and that the island then must be some kind of afterlife/purgatory. I'm not too hip to this idea, but perhaps it's all just a lie. Back to Sawyer and Locke. It was really satisfying to see both men finally move on because we all really know they have much more greatness in them ready to be developed. This was a wonderful turning point in the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing how both men change.

Three seasons of character arc come to an end here, and the payoff was spectacular.

A final note, I usually see plot twists way ahead of time, but I never imagined that Sawyer and Locke's history could be so believably tied together.
  • Two character's traumatic Backstories are laid to rest along with the culprit in spectacular fashion!

And thus begins Lost's outstanding Season 3 wrap-up!
    Absolutely amazing episode, which I would agree with most people is the darkest hour of the series thus far!
    Once again it's all about the performances, which makes the episode so special. We all know that Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emmerson have considerable talent, that is made manifest by the complex characters they are playing. Up until now, Josh Holloway hasn't had much chance to dig deeper into his acting soul. Most of Josh Holloway's acting skills required for this series up to now, at least on-island, has been to play the bad ass, the cocky southerner with a penchant for nicknames. However, here we are witness to a different side to Josh Holloway, one which is very welcome and is sure to be embraced by most watching. In every line he roars at Anthony Cooper inside the Black Rock you can feel the emotional pain Holloway's character feels. Never before has an acting performance on Lost stopped my heart at places like when he screams "Finish it!", referring to his letter. Kevin Tigh's portrayal as Anthony Cooper is also worthy of praise and is enough to give Josh Holloway the incentive to deliver his own 100% performance. Josh Holloway only goes to prove how much every actor/actress on the show has improved.
    With performances like these who needs special effects, jungle chases, explosions, implosions and rampaging polar bears and smoke monsters to generate excitement.
    With Sawyer being so pivotal to this episode and Josh Holloway stealing the show literally it is easy to forget that this episode is actually Locke-centric. I still refer to it as a Locke-Sawyer centric episode because it concerns them both just as equally. It is Locke-centric because to be fair Locke gets more episode screen time, owing to his on-island flashbacks, which tracks him following the cliffhanger of "The Man from Tallahassee".
    Once again the concept of the "Magic Box" is raised and new light on this subject got my mind going back to Season 1. Ben tells Locke in this episode that Anthony Cooper came out of the box because Locke somehow willed it. In "The Man from Tallahassee" Ben says that the box holds what you imagine or hope would be in it, so, in essence, Locke imagined or hoped Cooper would be on the island. If Ben is telling the truth then this information relates directly to Walt in Season 1. As far back as the Pilot episode we were quickly introduced to Walt's powers. We saw him read a spanish comic with a Polar Bear in it, moments before a real one appears before several other castaways. Once again this connection was made more definitive in "Special" later that season when Walt's fury that his comic had been thrown in the fire by Michael on the Polar Bear page had been enough to imagine, hope and thus will the Polar Bear onto the island, maybe to seek revenge on Michael. However, the plan may not have turned out as hoped as Walt was trapped with the animal and Michael rescued Walt and himself from the attack. It is quite possible, thought, that Walt is unaware of his "Magic Box" abilities, just as Locke isn't. Locke can't understand how he could have used his "Magic Box" to bring Anthony Cooper to the island. Of course, even if Locke or Walt did imagine themselves up a Polar Bear or an Anthony Cooper or even when Charlie hoped his guitar would be on the island in one piece, it still doesn't explain how this all connects with how Cooper was actually brought to the island, which was supposedly by a car accident. The whole "Magic Box" issue does get us to wonder what things on the island are due to the imaginations of our characters and which are due to the Smoke Monster [see The Cost of Living, earlier this season]. At this time I believe that the manifestations of Dave, Christian Shepherd and Yemi are all creations of the monster, whereas Anthony Cooper [possibly], Walt's Polar Bear and Charlie's guitar came out of the magic box. The island is one large magic box where all your dreams can come true, physically or spiritually or both [Locke's legs and his faith].
    I think we have only just scratched the surface of the "Magic Box" and look forward to where that story goes from here.
    Another interesting plot point concerns the Others. We have been led to believe that there exists a great leader on the island, who is in control of the Others and quite possibly in charge of everything that goes on on the island. We will get clarification in the following episode that his name is "Jacob", a name that has been referenced numerous times this season. Beneath Jacob in the Others hierarchy there stands Ben as the sub-leader of the Others, the physical presence of a leader, against Jacob who seems to be at this stage of the game an unseen force of the island.
    Ben seems to have taken on this responsibility for some time but it is becoming quite clear that his methods of leadership are not going down too well with the rest of the community. Certainly, Richard hints at this to Locke when he tells him that Ben has been wasting their time on fertility problems instead of seeking their true potential on the island. This makes Juliet's actions to Jack in the early part of the season much clearer. Juliet informed Jack that the community are unhappy with Ben and want him gone. Of course Juliet would later deny this but even Tom, when he finds out has an understanding expression on his face. Richard Alpert also tells Locke that, Ben aside, everyone in the community thinks Locke is special and important to the island, hinting that they believe they have found their new sub-leader to replace Ben. This would explain why, as Richard explains, that Locke doesn't want anyone to think Locke is special and wanted to see him fail to embarrass Locke and to boost Ben's self-esteem. Ben doesn't guess that Locke would return with the Others with Anthony Cooper on his back. Ben, obviously realises that Locke is somehow special and has a irrefutable communion with the island, due in part to his sudden ability to walk again and also his ability to somehow speed up Ben's healing process just by being in his company. But Ben is also aware that Locke could be his successor and tries to put Locke in situations that he knows he will fail in, just to prove to the Others that Locke is not what they think he is. Ben can't handle the fact that Locke would be leading Ben rather than Ben leading Locke, which is getting near to happening. The whole "sacrifice" at the Ruins was very creepy and many have speculated that the Ruins are connected to the four-toed statue seen last season. Back on the beach Naomi expands on her story teased at the climax of the previous episode. She tells a disbelieving Sayid that they found the wreckage of Oceanic 815 and all the dead passengers in a trench near Bali. Sayid is suspicious, as am I. We saw halfway in Season 1 that the tide was coming in to wash up the wreckage of the plane and the survivors camp so they had to relocate further down shore. Okay, it is possible that the tide could flush pieces of the wreckage out to sea but that far out and in one piece enough to be identified by people. It is just as likely for someone to go back down to their original camp and try to find any part of the wreckage. We also know that part of the wreckage was nowhere near the shoreline as some of it was found further inland in the jungle and also in the Caves. Rewatching "White Rabbit" from Season 1 when Jack first discovers the caves only confirms this. So this is a blatant lie by Naomi, one that should be picked up by more than just Sayid [assuming that this is not an inconsistency in writing! I sure hope not!]. Why anyone has not already investigated back at their original camp is unclear. The tide may have pulled back out again making investigations that much easier. So I am pretty convinced at this point [without revealing what I know in Season 4] that this is a lie from Naomi.
    Anyhow, speculations aside this was a thoroughly entertaining episode, the darkest yet. In fact I would go as far as saying that Lost has produced a Film Noir episode.The moment when "Sawyer" strangles "Sawyer" with the chain is brutal and quite possibly the most violent thing we have seen up to this point.
    It will be interesting now to see where Locke and Ford's journeys go now. Sawyer, now taht he has killed the very man that ruined his life by conning his parents and resulting in their deaths, will probably be much more relaxed and looser on the island and may be more content to become one of the team. Locke, now that the man that was responsible for his paralysis as well as one less kidney and subsequent misery in his life, will probably have the freedom to choose his destiny now, even if that means joining the "enemy" as Sawyer calls them. Locke is not choosing to join the Others out of spite for his fellow survivors, rather than as an outlet to gain a better understanding of the island and to prove or disprove in what he secretly believes. That belief would be sorely tested once again in the following episode.
    "The Brig" was one of the best episodes of the season and the standard had once again been raised. Things would only get even better!
  • A defining for two characters ends in death

Ever since he landed on the island, Locke has been on a journey that has been becoming increasingly solitary, and it seemed pretty clear that the survivors weren't going to see him again, especially after he blew up the sub. So when he shows up in the teaser of 'The Brig' and tells Sawyer that he has kidnapped Ben, and has brought him back, we are instantly doubtful, especially when he tells him that he wants to kill Ben. This is particularly suspicious considering that he's barely exchanged two words with him since Sawyer humiliated him by tricking him into taking guns. His behavior isn't that of a vengeful man, though; he seems more detached calmly reciting the list of all the wrongs that Sawyer had committed before he came to the island. To be perfectly honest, he now sounds a lot like one of the Others, and we can soon see why.
    In the first flashback to an island event since Michael's encounter with the Others in Season 2's 'Three Minutes', we see that Locke was offered by Ben a chance to have the keys to the kingdom. However, Ben has been setting up Locke for his own special revenge, because of what we see. Everybody on the Others looks upon Locke with reverence, and it's clear they all think Locke is special. So Ben sets him up by telling him he has to make an offering--- the murder of his father. Considering all of the hell that we've seen Anthony Cooper put Locke through in his flashbacks, you would think that the man would jump at the chance to do him in. But as always, Locke has trouble following through. Cooper has a hold on him that he can't break, even when he truly does have all the power.

What Locke hasn't realized is that Ben's power is waning. Even though for the first time since his operation earlier this season, he is now able to walk, it's pretty clear that people don't trust him as much. This becomes obvious when Richard hands over Sawyer's file, all while reinforcing how special he is. Since Richard up until now has been seen as Ben's inferior, it's hard to believe he'd give in. We shall eventually learn that Richard has a longer history with Locke than he knows about--- mainly because it hasn't happened yet. (Confused? It will make sense--- sort of--- by Season 5.)

So Locke goes to see Sawyer and takes him to the Black Rock, which we haven't visited (though there've been a couple of trips there in Season 2) since 'Exodus' when they came to get the dynamite to open the hatch. Locke explains to him that this is a slaving ship, but doesn't bother to tell him how it ended up in the middle of the island, and Sawyer doesn't think to ask. (This just goes to prove how none of the survivors of this plane crash really seem to want an explanation for all the strange things that are happening on this island.) He then proceeds to lock Sawyer in the brig with Cooper, and then just sits there as Rousseau--- who we haven't seen since 'The Man From Tallahassee'--- comes to pick up dynamite. She doesn't ask about the noise; he doesn't ask what she wants the explosives for. Does anybody communicate around here?

Meanwhile, back on the beach, Hurley has persuaded his little group to bring Sayid in to their confidence about the woman who they saved. Her name is Naomi Dorrit, and she tells an interesting tale of what has happened to Oceanic 815, that she came hear to rescue Desmond because she was hired by Penelope Widmore, that there is a freighter roughly eighty nautical miles away, and that she may bring rescue if they can just fix her sat phone. They do fix it, but the signal is still being jammed. The secret doesn't stay secret for long because Kate finds out about it. No sooner does she learn about that then she runs straight to Jack and tells him everything. And Jack goes right back to the holier-than-thou man we had to endure for the last couple of seasons, especially in regard to Kate. And when she tells him that nobody trusts him any more, he doesn't seem to care much about that either. Have they gotten to Jack? They haven't, but his attitude sure seems that way.

Back in the brig, a critical confrontation is building. Cooper then proceeds to do something Locke has not seen fit to tell anyone--- something about their history together. He also tells Sawyer that he's pretty sure that he's gone to hell--- especially since he was rear ended on the I-10. (Did the Others have something to do with it? I think so, but my guess is we'll never know for sure.) Then the minute Sawyer hears how Cooper conned Locke out of a kidney, he realizes something that some other fans had theorized the minute they heard Cooper was a con man--- he's the man who conned Sawyer's parents out of $38,000 and indirectly caused both their deaths. The second he realizes he's face to face with his lifelong nemesis, he hands Cooper the letter that he's been carrying for almost thirty years. Only Cooper refuses to play along. He doesn't read the letter all the way through, he insults Sawyer's mother and Sawyer himself. It is the act of ripping the letter Sawyer has carried all this time--- that survived the island, the raft blowing up, the Others,--- that throws him into a blind rage. But the moment it's over---he realizes that his pain isn't gone. His parents are still dead, and he got no satisfaction from the kill. We see that when he reels out of the brig, vomiting and sick. His life has been for nothing. It's brilliant work, and Josh Holloway should have gotten an Emmy nomination for that scene alone.

Locke, in the meantime, is filled with peace. He has finally triumphed over Cooper, even if he didn't deal the final blow himself. And his revenge has left him satisfied. When he puts Cooper's body on his back, he doesn't seem to feel the weight of it, because the burden of his father has been lifted from his shoulder at last.

Admittedly, this episode is a bit of marking time before we go into the final stretch. But two of the major characters have fulfilled their lifelong goals. Before he leaves Sawyer, Locke hands him the tape that Juliet left for Ben in 'D.O.C.' and reveals his plans. However, he then sets off after the Others. He has no interest in schemes, and definitely doesn't want to be rescued. But he doesn't know just where this journey will take him.
    My score: 9
  • Epic Storyline and Great Setups!!!1

Objective - » With the last five episodes, it was time to setup all the events and to make another revelation and mysteries. Who is the most appropriated person for this? John Locke, the loved one. Locke is the focus, with both his situation on the Island and the flashback from the Island too. One nice Detail is how the old flashbacks details gain more importance and value when they are used to create a great episode like this. Another focus is Naomi, the new character.

Flashbacks -» Nice details there and the beginning was nice and mysterious. But since he is with tem, it is easy to create mystery, this also happens in the set of the complication phase, Ben really knows how to manipulate people and why the Others were expecting Locke is something to be revealed later in this episode. Ben makes Locke life more difficult to humiliate Locke and make is leadership strong. Also, I noticed that this flashback only sets the complication phase, so this is a setup. His conversation with Richard was nicely done too.

Locke Event on The Island -» This begins to be strong, when Locke appear only to James. This already set one of complication phase (more for James) when Locke says that he is infiltrated and he have Ben, so he want James to come with him and kill Ben, but we already know that his is not the case here. How he manipulates James was nicely done. The interaction between Sawyer and Locke is priceless. The climax for this James Complication Phase was is interaction with the Man responsible for his dark childhood, and again, is something priceless. The ending it is was you expect and this already set the next event on the Island

Sub Plot -» It is about the strange woman and everybody already saw the presentation, so this was about to set the complications, since the audience want to Know what this unknown woman until now knows about our survivors. Even Jack is not Trusted because of Juliet presence and this set the first complication, who they trust and the best person for this? Sayid, the torturer. This make his interaction with Naomi was another priceless interaction that only Lost can Provide. Things get more complicated since Jack and Juliet are sharing secrets

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Didn´t Notice.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Even if two storylines are a setup, all the scenes seems very important.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold. There are a surprise, that make this episode a epic one. No cliffhanger this time.

4 - Action: Wasn´t necessary.

5 - Funny: Bronze. Maybe Hugo lines

6 - Drama: Gold. Sawyer and Locke stole the moment.

7 - Tension/Fear: Exactly what the climax offers when Sawyer is applying is payback.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold. You want to discover more about the Others and their plan? Want to Know who is Naomi? Want to Know how Sawyer will apply his Payback? This episode is obligatory.

This episode is a setup, which has a storyline inside that has to be ended. However, what could be a normal setup, created a strong episode, one of the Best in this Season. Locke is an Character that the audience love to see, and Sawyer Vengeance which seemed impossible to be successful, could be done in this episode. The events in the bleach continue to be a setup too, but an interesting one. So, there is a 93% probability that you will like this epic episode.
  • Despite Lost being a great show all round, there are still some episodes that make you realise just how amazing this show is. This is one of them.

I have to say that when Lost is over there will be a handful of episodes that I will look back on with the most fondness. The Brig is one them.
    This episode had everything: mythology, mysteries revealed, action, character development and alot of terrific acting. I will start with the terrific acting. When it comes to awards on this show, the writers tend to give the most emotional performances to the main cast members such as Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly and Terry O Quinn. However Josh Holloway proved in this episode that he is a world class actor with a lot more vesatility than giving Kate some alluring looks. The entire scene between Josh Holloway and Kevin Tighe was simply genious. In this episode we discover that Ben wants Locke to kill his father or he will never be able to join the others. Locke soon realises even though Cooper ruined his life he is not able to kill him and Ben seems happy with this. Until Richard Alpert gives Locke a way out...Locke should get Sawyer to kill Cooper. And that's when the mystery that has plagued fans of Sawyer since the season 1 episode, "Confidence Man," is finally revealed...Anthony Cooper is the real Mr. Sawyer and he is the reason that Sawyer's parents are dead. At the beginning of the scene were Locke has Cooper and Sawyer locked in the Black Rock (Also amazing!!) we see the utter shock and unrealisation that Josh Holloway is putting across when Sawyer realises what is going on. The man that he has dedicated his life to killing is finally at his mercy and he begins to play out his fantasy in much the way he imagined it. Kevin Tighe's comical quibs throughout the scene are both hilarious and cruel but it is still Holloway's screams of rage and looks of pure sadness that make me want to watch this episode again and again. If Holloway didn't win an emmy for this episode, then he should have. But whilst there was good acting in this episode the character development was also relevent. Locke finally let go of Cooper and is beginning his journey to find more answers, Sawyer is finally able to move forward in his life instead of hanging in this self hating limbo and there was even development going on at the beach.
    The beach story I have to admit took a back seat but it was still fascinating to learn more about the mysterious Naomi Dorrit and why she is on the island. Sayid soon begins to distrust her when he asks Desmond whether he actually saw her helicopter but soon changes his mind when Naomi reveals she has a radio that they can use to contact her freighter. However Sayid is still refusing to tell Jack, still not being able to trust him since he brought Juliet back to the camp. When Kate finds out that no-one plans on telling him she does it herself but Jack's answer is extremely ambiguous. It seems he and Juliet know something we don't and this plays out leading up to the season finale. It seems that it was Evangeline Lilly's performance that was the pinacle of the beach scenes. The way she looks at Jack when he is sitting with Juliet is heartbreaking, simply because he seems not to be the man that she left behind at the others camp. He is becoming less and less the focal point of the group and she realises that he is becoming more involved with Juliet for it. If Jack and Kate will ever work things out seems to be something that will carry on throughout the next three seasons and lets hope its just as bumpy and emotional as it has been so far. All in all this episode was a winner and definately my favourite of season 3 so far. Anthony Cooper is finally dead, Jack and Juliet are planning something mysterious and Locke is off to join the others and learn more answers about the island. Most certainly an episode that defines this season.
  • A Locke-centric episode.

As a whole, I thought that this was an absolutely amazing episode. The fact that I liked this episode so much really surprised me given the fact that this is a Locke-centric episode and I'm not a very big fan of the character Locke. Although, I have to admit that most of my enjoyment of this episode has to do with Sawyer's involvement with Locke's story line. Josh Holloway did an amazing job in this episode with his performance as Sawyer. This episode really proves that the producers made the perfect choice when they cast Josh Holloway as Sawyer. One thing that I didn't like about this episode was fact that Juliet wasn't feature very much in this episode. I love her character, so I wish they would have used her more in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD so I can find out how the season ends.
  • ...

Finally Sawyer met the old man Sawyer, because of whom his dad killed his mum and after that himself. From one side it was quite shocking that this son of a b*tch was Lock's father. But from another side, not really. It's kinda interesting how all the passengers' lives are linked up. Everyone has a secret and these secrets cross each other. In fact I'm waiting for the moment when Jack will get to know that Claire is his step-sister. It'll be very, very exciting. Can't wait for it. Sometimes I hate all these things that didn't end in one episode, but it's the motive why I'm still watching it. It's quite interesting with what Sawyers and Kate's affair will end up.
  • A truly epic adventure. Endings and beginnings.

What a beautiful episode. The writers often go back to long abandoned storylines and shake them up a bit. That's always lovely.

But has it ever been better than this? I don't think so.
    Locke returns and asks for Sawyer's help to kill Ben who Locke captured.

Of course, even at this point, the audience is aware of that it's not Ben, but Locke's father. What the audience might not be aware of is how he's connected to Sawyer.

'might'. Of course the hardcore lost fans already know for almost sure that Locke's father is the man who conned Sawyer's mother which initally led to both her and his father's death.

Even knowing this - this was something incredible. Seeing how it plays out: the build up... oh my god.

Has a Lost episode ever been darker? Someone brought somewhere to kill someone in cold blood.

Brilliant writing, and even better directing. The location where the execution takes place is amazing: the Black Rock.... some incredible camera angles.

The best part was, undoubtedly, the 5-10 minute long scene between "Sawyer" and "Sawyer"... how James slowly realizes who he is talking to. And then, the letter from 1x8 returns. Is this it? James can finally deliver his letter?

But Anthony crushes it... and that, was a fatal mistake. Cooper's dead. Once and for all. James is now a changed man. His "life goal" was accomplished. And so is Locke's. With Anthony dead, there's nothing that can stand between him and answers.

Locke starts carrying his dead father as the camera follows his face which clearly reads hope. As he starts walking faster, the camera slides away, shows the sun as it smash cuts to....

LOST.

One of the greatest episodes ever. Amazingly powerful ending. No cliffhanger, but oh god... that was incredible. The music, Terry O'Quinn's face, everything. I was blown away.
  • We have Locke discovering that it really is his father behind the tape and is tied to the chair, Locke gets Sawyers attention and wants him to do a favour and we see that Ben has a hidden agenda, not noticeable but there for sure.

It starts with a mini flashback of Locke, from him giving his kidney, getting thrown out of the window, to the first day on the island and to his chats with Ben prior to blowing up the submarine and then the appearance of his father on the island. He is reading through a file, which he then burns.
    We then go to a series of "so many days ago", we see him taking the gag off of him and being warned not too and then being bitten by him.

We also have Kate slipping out of Sawyers bed as she is unable to sleep apart from in her own bed, so that leaves Sawyer awake and in need of the gents, he sees Jin and Hurley by a shelter, when asked they are also going to the toilet. As Sawyer is indisposed, Locke appears, says he isnt working with the others, just infiltrated them, that a couple hours ago he snuck into Bens tent, tied him up and kidnapped him. Sawyer goes after Locke.

We flashback a few days to where Locke has finished helping Cindy do up her tent, getting it all together before he is called away and asked to go and see Ben, he is still in a wheelchair but he explains that a week ago when Locke came into his presence, he then started to get feeling back into his legs, but that he isn't ready to accept the island as he still has hang ups with his father, only then can he be committed.

Locke leads Sawyer through the jungle to take him to go and kill Ben, sawyer wants to know why its him, why he can't do it himself, because he's tried but he can't but he thinks Sawyer can. Sawyer has very mixed emotions regarding this.

The boys are talking regarding letting Jack know that they have an injured parachutist, but Des thinks that he can not be trusted, that he has been in the company of the others for too long. The only person that they can trust is Sayid and they get more information, how Niomi was hired to find Desmond that her company were given a set of co-ordinates to the island, she said, no just co-ordinates to the middle of the ocean, that how she had been looking with her helicopter, then had mechanical issues, grabbed her parachute and bailed out.

Locke leads Sawyer to the Black Rock, which he has not been to before, but Locke locks him in the brig with his tied up father, when Danielle comes into get some dynamite. Locke flashes back to meeting Richard and is told about Ben's motives for embarrassing Locke, he gives him a file and asks him to serve his purpose and gives him Sawyers file.

Meanwhile back in the brig, sawyer is getting madder, but then ungags lockes father, he then finds out more about the situation and finds out about his past, then as he gets mocked about his own past, he finds the man who caused his family so much heartache, that he kills him as predicted.

Back on the beach, having been told about the parachutist, Kate goes to get Jack for a private word, he insists that he can say what it is in front of Juliet as they have no secrets. She explains that they have an injured parachutist, Naomi, that they have a way to contact them by a radio phone. Juliet says to Jack that they should tell her, but Jack says no.

Jack and Sawyer part ways at the end, but not before Locke tells Sawyer that he is going back to infiltrate them, but tells them that Juliet is a mole and was sent to find out about the women in their group, then hands him a cassette player. Sawyers sets off for the beach leaving Locke to carry his fathers body on his back to the others.
  • OMG

Locke breaks away from the Others in an attempt to persuade Sawyer to kill Locke's father, who is actually the original "Sawyer," who caused the death of Sawyer's parents. Naomi says that Oceanic Flight 815 was found and that there were no survivors. Finnaly we got to see Sawyer meet the real Sawyer (Anthony Cooper ,Lockes Dad) and what a clash it was Sawyer back to his old self and Anthony being a total mess, I always new Locke and Sawyer had a connection right from the start of the series. This is a great episode of lost with many memeroble momments.
  • Heart beating faster.

Locke shows up in the camp while Sawyer is taking a leak and tells Sawyer that he has kidnapped Ben and he wants him to kill him so Sawyer follows Locke into the jungle. Then Locke and Sawyer reach the destination and Locke locks Sawyer in a room with a man who has a bag over his head. Sawyer thinking that the man is Ben takes of the bag and sees that it's not Ben..it's Sawyer's father. After a long conversation between Sawyer and Anthony Cooper ( Locke's dad ) Sawyer finds out that Locke's father conned his mother which was the reason Sawyer's father killed his mother and then himself. Knowing this Saywer chokes Anthony. That was great ! As many other reviewers said : Sawyer meets Saywer. Reason for this is that when Anthony conned Sawyer's mother ( Mary ) his alias was Sawyer. Also in this episode : Juliet and Jack are hiding something from Kate. Locke has flashbacks of the eight days he spent with the others and how he was asked to kill his father right infront of everyone which was only so Ben can prove a point and his point was Locke is not perfect. Loved the episode. Really exciting !!! Friends's oponions : 1) 10 out of 10. 2) 10 out of 10. 3) 10 out of 10. 4) 8 out of 10. 5) 9 out of 10. Favorite character from this episode : Naomi !!! I loved her accent. Great stuff !!
  • Sawyer meets Sawyer

Locke has flashbacks to when he first saw his father on the island. He goes with the Others. They try to make him kill his father, but he can't. They leave him.

Locke comes back for Sawyer. He wants Sawyer to kill his father, but he tells Sawyer that it's Ben. Hurley, Desmond, Jin and Charlie tell Sayid about Naomi. They don't trust Jack. Kate finds out about her when she sees Sayid with the radio phone. She tells Jack and Juliet. Locke knows Juliet is a mole. Saywer finds out that Locke's father is the man who killed his parents and who he's named after. He strangles him. Locke proceeds to follow the Other with his dead father in hand. Jack and Juliet are keeping something from Kate.

This episode was great! I can't believe that Locke's father is Sawyer. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • The episode deals with John Locke. He has issues that need to be resolved with his father, but he needs Sawyer to take care of business for him. The subplot involves the Losties trying to figure out what to do with a new survivor on the island.

This episode was awesome and in my opinion the best one of the season so far. The producers went back to the style that made the show such a hit.
    The central story involves Locke. Ben tells him that he is a great man, but that he must first take care of his father. When Locke realizes he can't do this, another Other, Richard, shows him that another Lostie might help him. With this storyline, another island mystery is resolved.
    The subplot involves the Losties. When a new survivor lands on the island, several members of the beach tribe don't know what to do or who to trust. What made this plot interesting is that no one knows who to trust, and the ones they thought they could trust prove untrustworthy.
  • Finnally the Sawyer clash.

• Who would have thought that Sawyer will find "The Sawyer"

Very exciting episode with starts the season final information revealing. What I like on this season is, that they finally have started to use those little hints they have set in previous seasons. The story somehow starts to have a connection and logic.

Locke got another flashback this season. wow... and it is really interesting one. When for a second I could believe that he was going with them, then this episode reveals the truth. And the way he manages to get Saywer into his trap. It was so great to see Black Rock again. And Rousseau there. They were chatting like nothing was going on next to them. The only question I got was, why did she need dynamite. But I know now, that this is answered later.

And all the others - the way they do not trusts Jack. The way things are getting out of the hands but .. it is enjoyable to watch how some other characters are trying to lead instead Jack.

For the flashbacks and the storyline over Lock - this episode is superb.
  • Probably the darkest episode ever.

After six episodes, just in time for sweeps, we return to the "dad in a box" reveal from the superb "The Man From Tallahassee". It makes sense for the narrative as the events in this episode serve as major stepping stones for Locke and Sawyer, which will propel them through the end of the season. Anthony Cooper being the real Sawyer, a theory that's been kicked around since his introduction in "Deus Ex Machina", was hardly shocking. Since they went that way, the payoff would have to be worth it. Thankfully, it is, and has some great performances, including some of Josh Holloway's best work. This episode has some of the darkest material so far, with revenge and its complicity painted in its ugly extreme, negating any redemption we've seen so far.

One thing of note: previews for previous episodes featured some moments from this one (particularly The Others gathering around the night Ben tried to get Locke to kill his father for the ads for "D.O.C."). Were some of these scenes meant to be spread out from episodes 13 to 18? It makes sense for them to scrap that idea and throw them all in this episode, which makes the overall package more effective than if they did another flashback story.

This episode could've easily been changed to a Sawyer episode without much alteration. A likely flashback scenario would've been about the effect Cooper had on Sawyer immediately after his parents' death, and how he became a con man. However, such pieces of evidence have been described before in previous Sawyer episodes, and considering some of the flack "Lost" has received for redundant flashbacks, it may have been better to focus on what happened to Locke when he went with The Others.

Sawyer was heading towards redemption. He stepped up as a leader in Jack's absence and started a relationship, albeit one on a faulty foundation, with Kate. Now he has exacted revenge against the man he blamed for ruining his life and the aftermath has left him shattered. Some figured that Sawyer would confront the real Sawyer (who had to be on the island somehow) at the end of the arc. Perhaps a fitting way for him to redeem himself would be to spare him. However, with Sawyer fulfilling the vendetta he's had since he was a child, where does his character have to go from here?

Recalling "Outlaws", one problem haunting Sawyer was his quest for revenge lead him to kill an innocent man who owed one of Sawyer's ex-associates money. The common interpretation is the boar in the episode was the island's manifestation of his prior incident, and sparing the animal was a sign of him heading towards the right path. Exacting his revenge in brutal fashion is a major step back, one that will likely take the end of the series to make up, if ever.

Cooper, who has been on the island only a short time, still faces the rule that those who don't face their past are placing themselves in danger. Short of saying Sawyer's mom was easy, Cooper does everything in his power not to repent or to feel remorse for what he did. On the other hand, he thinks he's in hell, so what good would repenting do? His story getting to the island offers another glimpse into just how powerful Mittelos/The Others are in the outside world, that they can get someone that easily.

Unlike the common cliché, the test for Locke was to see if he could kill his father, not find the strength to spare him. This incident makes us question exactly what they mean when they call themselves "good people" if they're willing to let someone, albeit a bad guy, be murdered in cold blood. If more was known about The Others this may be clear, but it seems as though it'll be some time before that happens. Perhaps they are the extreme Locke is in danger of becoming.

Richard makes a fair assessment that the incident served to embarrass Locke in front of The Others, who are in awe of his miraculous healing. Ben's jealousy has manifested before, but now it's clear that he is fighting for his leadership role in The Others. Richard, who seemed to be a neutral force among The Others, stages a minor coup by giving Locke the key to Cooper's death, and by that, further access to The Others.

While Locke no longer has his father hanging over him, his quest to the heart of the island is troubling. He no longer cares for anyone but himself. It doesn't matter to him that Sawyer has to kill again, so long as it helps Locke achieve his perceived destiny. Compare this to Locke from the end of the second season, where his lack of faith in the island caused him to disregard everyone, with near deadly results. This time the pendulum has swayed to the new extreme.

His need for acceptance is also a major factor in his story. He did not move on after his father's death (symbolized by his Christ-like bearing of the body in the end), but replaced his desire for a meaningful relationship with his father with one with Ben. Despite their shaky relationship, Locke somehow thinks Ben is key to getting what he wants. Although Ben is jealous of Locke's connection to the island, he is still a master manipulator, getting Locke to dismiss that notion. Ultimately Locke will have to return to the person we first met in the beginning, only without the need to have someone's approval, if he is to have peace.

It was about time we saw The Black Rock again. One of the great surprises of the end of the first season was the reveal that The Black Rock wasn't literally a black rock. Its strange history was explored on "The Lost Experience", but I won't go into detail here. Locke's decision to bring Sawyer there is also a worthy topic (it may be because none of the remaining hatches Locke knows of have a room that would serve that function).

Although no explanation is given to how she got out of the Barracks or what she did after seeing her daughter, Rousseau's cameo was a kooky treat. Considering she never returned with the crate of dynamite, she must have something big planned. It would make sense for her to be more calculated in her attempt to get her revenge against The Others, and that would require pooling all her resources.

The "old place" the Others take Locke to, with a pillar used to hold Cooper captive, could be connected to the infamous four-toed statue from "Live Together, Die Alone". The architecture could easily have been from the same era, and there's no confirmation or denial that the foot is nearby. It hints again at the larger history of the island: one that goes beyond Dharma's arrival in the 70s. One thing that should be addressed eventually is what prompted the mass exodus from the Barracks and why were the Ruins the destination, but that may be for another episode.

Like The Others' camp, divisions are forming over the new arrival. While they would've gone to Jack immediately before, now they are keeping secret in Hurley's tent. Getting Sayid involved was a wise choice since he is the highest profile anti-Other of the castaways still on the beach, not to mention his unequaled ability to read people. This technique doesn't make him friends with Naomi, as he gets rather confrontational when he asks if the search party can corroborate any of her story. Since it is "Lost", it would make sense for her to have some past errors and sins.

Obviously, the secret keeping is going to be very costly for the group, as seen when Kate finds out about Naomi and confronts Jack about what his friends are doing. For the first time Jack knows what his allignment with Juliet is costing him in terms of his leadership status in the group. Jack's ego clearly clouded his judgment. It never occurred to him that spending a week and a half with The Others would make some people suspicious of his motives when he got back, considering what happened with Michael?

Juliet hints at a master plan she has concocted with Jack, but he for some reason shuts her down. Ironically, he wants to be taken on faith rather than openly give out what these plans are, even to trusted allies like Kate.

Much like Locke, this episode is the darkest "Lost" has ever been. Considering how obvious the reveal of the episode was, the way it played out more than made up for it. As the season winds down, the stakes are continually being raised and character's roles are being challenged, which has been fascinating to watch.
  • Only one word: "WOW"

Hey guys what can I say? There is so much to say about this one I wouldn't know where to begin. Well I'll start with something:

-Ben has become a complete idoit, I want to see him dead, he's just terrible and getting on my nerves.

-Sawyer finally found the murderer of his parents, Tom Sawyer who is Locke's father! That is horrible, horrible man, but revenge wasn't the right answer to the solution.

-Juliet is a mole and I agree, can Sawyer succeed with the tape recorder about the pregnant women on the island?

-Probably my 3rd favorite episode in Season 3 because of the excitiment and suspense

-It was also very emotional, If you were in Locke's position and were rejected by your own parents all your life and listening to your father die how would you feel???

-Ben trying to embaress John in front of the others to kill off his father!

-Just non-stop entertainment, it's getting better rapidly, soon It'll be PERFECT.

Overall, excellent episode, pretty sad and good at times, but Tom Sawyer simply did NOT care about the way he treated John and the way he conned James's Parents when he was 8, hell what a day! But it was excellent!!! Need more need more!

Only three episodes remain of this season...
  • Locke takes Sawyer on a trip through the jungle to help him eliminate a common enemy. Meanwhile, back at the beach, the parachutist Naomi has crucial information about flight 815.

What I like about this episode is that we learned more about the people especially an only about Sun, Locke and Sawyer. We learned that the person that killed Sawyers mom and Dad was Locke's Dad which was a con man. Sawyer kills Anthony Copper and Locke gives him his thanks. The reason why Ben didn't want Locke is because Locke wasn't able of killing his own father. On the beach Sun is curious to know what happened to pregnant women and so Juliet says that they die only if the baby was created on the island. So Juliet checks if the baby was made on the island which it was so then Sun feels sad and happy at the same time.
  • James and Locke get payback, thanks to James' anger and the real Sawyer being a complete jerk. Their story pushed the rest of the show into the background.

This was, in my humble opinion, the best episode of the season (so far). People in the States who have seen the season finale tell me the rest are even better. If that's true, I can't wait!

Josh Holloway proved in this episode that he is one fantastic actor. Since the episode has even aired here, there are no spoilers to be told about it anymore, so here goes. Josh's reaction after he killed the real Sawyer and running outside to be sick, the range of emotions he showed during those scenes - all absolutely fantastic. Of course, we know Terry O'Quinn is no slouch either, and he also put in a fantastic performance. The scene between the Locke and Rousseau characters was so deadpan - perfectly in character for both of them. I laughed out loud when James was locked in and screaming "let me out, let me out" when Rousseau came in for the dynamite. It may have been a short scene, but it was perfect.

Those who know me and have read my posts on the site know that there is one thing I really can't stand, though. Jack has long ago outlived his usefullness. So people no longer trust him. Good. I can't wait to see what happens when Sawyer gets back to camp with the tape recorder Locke gave him as proof that Juliet is a "plant".

This episode made me look forward to what is coming next, as well as featuring some fantastic writing and acting. This is exactly why I watch this show.
  • Sawyer finally gets his revenge.

-Once again, Ben proves that he is not one of "the good guys”. Trying to make Locke kill his father? I guess Richard is right, Ben knew Locke couldn't do it. (otherwise, his knowledge of human nature sucks. Even Cooper knew he couldn't do it)
    -I liked Kevin Tighe's character in this episode, every time you think he can't be a bigger jerk, he proves you wrong ;)
    -My personal highlight was of course Coopers death. Josh Holloway did a great job in this scene (“You wanna go to hell?!!” ;))
    -I think this will have a great impact on Sawyer, he finally killed the man who ruined his life and made him what he is
    -Fortunately Locke told Sawyer about the Others' plan
    -If Ben was telling the truth about Coopers abduction, who it was then? Hanso? Whidmore? imo, think Ben was lying again
    -I'm glad about Richards statement, that the fertility problem is just a side issue. I hope there is a much bigger mystery about the Others
  • Overall, this episode is one of the best of the season: probably the most dramatic yet. Amongst all connections, Locke's and "Sawyer's" really stood out: and it's finally wrapped up.

Without a doubt, Locke and Sawyer are in the top 5 of the 'most interesting male characters in Lost' list.

Both characters have a very troubled past. Both of them can actually say that their life on the island is just better than the life waiting for them at home.

But other than that? They don't have anything else in common.

Or...

Well, they do. Something pretty big. Or someone. Anthony Cooper, the Man from Tallahassee, Locke's father, turn out to be the father of James Ford aka Sawyer.

This particular episode is Locke centric, showing us flashbacks of what happened 8 days ago after he was introduced to the Man from Tallahassee. Locke is forced by Ben to kill his father to prove his commitment, however, he just can't do it. However, Ben's ultimate goal might just be to humiliate Locke infront of the others: make him look an ordinary person. Because Ben's leadership's in danger. Especially if a man who was paralyzed BEFORE can now walk, walks amongst the unsatsfied others.

Richard, who seems to be a member of the unsatisfied ones, lightens Locke up, and introduces him to a new idea, of how to take Cooper's life without killing him... but this one involves Sawyer...

The episode's building on drama: and just that. Mysteries...? You won't find many here. But that's not even a problem. The confrontation between Anthony and Sawyer was just... amazing. Amazing acting by Josh Holloway. Amazing.

Extremely great. Kudos to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.
  • Locke askes Sawyer for a favor.

I knew it! I knew that Locke's father was the con artest behind Sawyers parents death. I was wondering when they were going to figure it out. I really liked the flashbacks for this episode. To see what it was for Locke while he was with the Others. I can not believe that he tricked Sawyer into going with him to the Black Rock. I can not believe that Niaomi told them that they found the plane and that their was no survivors. I want to know how they pulled that one together how are they going to get the plane in another location and in one piece.
  • One man's crusade.

This episode was very, very good. It had what I most like in Lost, plot twists and developments that lead the characters through roads full of tension for both audience and characters. And the consequences of the characters' choices are always full of costs, most yet unknown.

Take Locke, for instance. He's shown with the Others in his flashbacks and Ben plays him to kill his father whilst what he really wants is to Locke to fail since if he suceeds, Ben's position will certainly be in danger. Important, though, is to realise some of the Others may have their allegiances to Ben in check (Alpert, e.g.). Also, I get the feeling a part of the Others isn't in that camp. Where is the "Sheriff" and Alex, e.g.? Plus, is the task to kill someone a part of an Other's initiation?

In the camp, everyone is hiding Naomi from Jack. And Sayid likes this when he's presented to her in order to try to make the satallite phone work. But the story Naomi says about Oceanic Flight 815 had alredy been found is what catches our attention, with its passengers' bodies and stuff. Which brings us to the other side of the Island, where the same story is told by Locke's father, which brings us then to the old argument Cooper names: "Are the survivors on Hell?" The producers say no, but is this only a mislead? Perhaps. In the worst case scenario in 2010 we'll find out.

Locke, finding himself abandoned by the Others because he didn't kill his father considers his options and probably remembered all the prices he paid since crashing in the Island (Boone and Mr. Eko's death just to begin with) and decided his path returning to the camp to make Sawyer kill Cooper.

The dialogue between Cooper and Sawyer is a very good one, by the way. The developments it's going to bring to the Sawyer character are unlimited and unpredictable for sure. Sawyer kills Cooper, although mostly only because Cooper himself apparently tries to enrage him all the time. Having his dead father's body, Locke initiates his come back to the Others' camp as if the body was his crox (a possible allusion to Jesus Christ's sacrifice?). Sawyer can't tell anyone he found Locke because one thing leads to another and he is hindered by what he did, but at the same time he has the tape with Ben and Juliet's "dialogue" to play for the other survivors. Though choices for him.

Back to the camp, Kate tells Jack about Naomi, and Jack is most worried about something only he and Juliet knows and Juliet is the one that wants the secret to be shared with Kate, but Jack doesn't.

All in all, the band is certainly rotting from inside out. Why can't they just put aside some things and work together. They have enemies to fight and an Island full of mysterys to survive after all and only themselves to count on.

Questions to the next episodes: what Rousseau will do with a crate full of dynamite? What's the secret Jack and Juliet have? Will Sawyer tell about his encounter with Locke? And what are the secrets Locke will know after being initiated in the "Otherhood"?

Stay tuned!!!
    Lost is not only back on track, it's intense and tense and in its highest point!
  • One of the best shows this season.

In this episode, the producers revield the man that James Ford aka Sawyer been loooking for his whole life. For many viewers they have to see this coming. On the 1st season, the producers revield John Locke dad as the man who just stole his kidney. On the 2nd Season and 3rd episode, which is a Locke flashback, John Locke dad "Anthony Cooper" said he "Coned" his way to steal his kidney. Right there it he clearly stated himself as a conman which Sawyer is looking for. Its very obvious, if you put two and two together you always figure out something. Still, this show is the best and solves one of the island mystery by discovering who Anthony Cooper really is.
  • James 'Sawyer' Ford & John Locke join forces to wipe out the man who has destroyed both of their lives. This episode has everything from the real Tom Sawyer to the place where we lost good old Leslie Arzt. A brilliant episode

This episode, although losely based on Locke as we discovered what he was upto since he left Kate in Othersville, is about Sawyer.
    For three seasons we have seen what the real sawyer did to James Ford, turning him into a man who felt he had to distance himself from everybody, usually by being nasty.

In truth, this was what was interesting about Sawyer. Josh Halloway's character may be great fun, but it was when he was all mysterious and in many ways troubled by the man he has hunted all his life that he truly was one of the greatest characters on the island.

And so Locke appears back at camp, tricks Sawyer into following him, knowing (through the flashbacks) that he needs his good ol' dad to stop breathing if we wants to discover what the island is about. Although once again, leader of the others Ben is so mysterious you cant help but wonder if theres something else in his plans should Locke return.

We get to the Black Rock, the ship where the aforementioned Dr.Arzt demonstrated the true power of dynamite, and here we learn how Lockes good ol' dad, who appeared through the 'magic box' just so happens to be good ol' Tom Sawyer also.

I'll leave the rest to you watching it, but sparks fly. Elsewhere, Sawyer dicovers Juliets secret, and the Catch-22 group return with Naomi, and struggle to decide who to tell about her strange landing on 'Lost island.'

Season three is hotting up with only 3 episodes to go, and if theyre all this good, then we're in for a treat.
  • YUP ANOTHER 9.9, SAME PROBLEM TOO CENTERED...

This week repeated the same problem lost has had this series and will continue to have until the finale, when every character should be involved. way too centered, although still very good story. for once though, it seemed centric on two characters rather than one (sawyer and locke). this problem of the show been too centered makes it less good, because if you watch season 1 and 2 you will notice a big difference in quality. after hearing the end date im happy to know we know when the show is done and finished. the episode itself was brilliant, good flashbacks, nice to see cooper die aswel. i thought this may of been a good episode to see smokey again thought, but sadly we didnt, oh well. looking forward to next episode, i have no idea whats gunna happen ive read no spoilers so im looking forward to it. season 4 could fix the small problem lost has at the moment and i sure hope it does...
  • Wow...so wait this is...ummmm *Spoiler*

Ok so everyone has seen this but for people like me that waited forever i just wanted to warn you. So this episode focuses on Locke and his father. Ben basically wants locke to kill him to show hes one of them...some stuff happens where a mysterious guy tell locke ben is trying to humiliate him and stuff. Locke goes and finds sawyer to get his help. locke finds out stuff and puts it together that his father is sawyer the one who drove sawyers parents to kill themselves. So this was a great twist. Sawyer ends up killing him and locke takes the body back to ben. Meanwhile at camp kates a stupid. She become so jealous of julliet and is just being dumb. Hurley jin charlie and desmond let sayid know about the girl with the phone and kates being noisey and finds out. she then tells jack because she still looks up to him and likes him. Him and julliet have a secret though and kate is now confused. We end just waiting for next week.
  • Incredibly well written.

Incredibly well written. I'm sure a lot of people knew the connection between the two character was there, but it was written in such a way that it was still shocking and great TV. I loved the flashbacks in this episode, it was one of those episodes where it helped the main story rather than cut into it's time. The ending really set up the next episode nicely and I look forward to seeing what Ben's reaction is going to be or if this was somehow all part of his plan. Either way the final few episodes are set to be fantastic.
  • www.lost.eu/3c391

www.lost.eu/3c391

I thought this was the best episode of the season. I have occasionally been disappointed in the episodes this season but this episode was very well written and I loved Locke and Sawyer together. Great acting performances by everyone involved especially Josh Holloway and Terry O’Quinn. I am not a big Kate and Sawyer fan but the beginning scene with him asking to walk her home was too cute. They could grow on me as a couple. Sawyer without shoes was pretty funning. I thought Sawyer not having bullets in the gun was a little weird…he took it with him when he went to pee for protection and I don’t think just seeing a gun would scare a boar or any other island creature. No one trusting Jack made me sad…until he was intentionally trying to be mean to Kate. I know Jack CANNOT be in on any plan with the “others” but I want the old Jack back already. Jack being an outsider throws everything off.
  • Wow! Even if you saw it coming, is it not "Wow?" It's "wow" and you know it. Way to go Damon and Carlton! You pulled off another mind-blowing, heart-tugging, mythologically-dense hour of pure greatness. LOST is, without a doubt, better than life itself.

On-Island:

This was a great episode. Everything about it was just pure greatness. Not only did we get the conclusion to a long standing "mystery," but we also get some great dialogue, the reappearance of the Black Rock, foreshadowing with Rousseau, more information about Naomi's show-shaking statement, some "WTF!?" Jack/Juliet moments, and, of course, the re-return of the awesome Sayid.

Storyline A: After having some serious nookie with hottie-with-a-body, Kate, Sawyer runs into the recently returned Locke while peeing in the jungle. Locke tells Sawyer that he infiltrated the Others' camp and, earlier that night, he snuck into Ben's tent and kidnapped him so that Sawyer would kill him. Sawyer claims that he is not a murder, but Locke retorts, "Except for the man you killed in Sydney." After a dispute between the two about actually killing Ben, Sawyer finally agrees to at least follow Locke to where he has Ben "imprisoned." En route to the ship, Locke tells Sawyer that the Others have birth certificates, criminal reports, medical records, etc. in files on every survivor and even know that Sawyer's father pulled a murder-suicide on his wife, Sawyer's mother. At The Black Rock, Locke proceeds to shut Sawyer in a room with the kidnapped Ben. But, of course, in true LOST fashion, it's Ben. In fact, it is Anthony Cooper who we last saw tied up and gagged in a boiler room in Otherville. Sawyer bangs and bagns on the door, but Locke will not let him out. During this, Rousseau walks in, tells Locke she needs some dynamite, and leaves. Inside the brig, Cooper tells Sawyer that he is Locke's father. The conversation then leads to the fact that Cooper was once a conman and Sawyer asks Cooper what his name is. Cooper tells him that "a conman goes by many names," but he's been known, among other names, as Alan/Adam Seward, Ted MacLaren, Anthony Cooper, Tom Sawyer, and Louis Jackson. Sawyer puts two and two together and concludes that the man before him is the real Sawyer, the man who ruined his life. James asks him if he's ever been to Jasper, Alabama and after Cooper confirms that he has, Sawyer has no doubt in his mind that he's finally found his nemesis. Sawyer pulls the infamous letter out of his pocket and hands it to Cooper. Cooper, however, begins to read it, but immediately disregards it by finishing half of the letter by saying "blah, blah, blah, blah." Sawyer begins to yell at Cooper to finish the letter, but he just rips it up. Infuriated, Sawyer grabs a chain and strangles Cooper to death. Back outside the ship, Locke tells Sawyer that Juliet is a mole in the survivors' camp and hands him a tape recording to prove this to the others. The episode closes with Locke picking up the dead Cooper and, as Ben told him to, carrying him off towards the Others camp.

This was an extremely satisfying conclusion to the Sawyer/Sawyer story. I don't think the writers could have handled the revelation any better and the writing, as well as Josh Holloway's acting, was superb. Getting to see the Black Rock again was awesome because, to me at least, it's the coolest and most interesting of the island's physical mysteries (the columns, the 4-toed statue, the radio tower, etc.)

I also thought the foreshadowing with Rousseau was quite cool. There are a lot of things she could be doing with that dynamite, but I think we can all agree that it has something to do with Alex.

I know I didn't talk much about Naomi's storyline, so I'll talk about that a little bit right here. First off, I'm thankful that the writers didn't postpone this story and actually went right a long and told us what happened next. Overall, I'm kind of pissed they (Charlie, Hurlye, Desmond, Sayid, Jin) didn't tell Jack, but I guess they had justification for not doing so. Personally, I think Jack is the only one of the survivors who actually knows what's going on with the Others and he isn't telling them for a reason. You just watch! Next week or the week after Jack is going to regain his credibility and you are all going to wallow in my awesomeness. Oh, how cool is that satphone?! It's like the iPhone x10! I know a lot of people are wondering what Sayid was digging but it was pretty obvious that he was in a garden. I'm pretty sure he was just working on his feminine mystique. Other points of revelation in this part of the episode include the knowledge that Naomi did in fact take off from a ship, no human has seen the "wreckage" of flight 815, and that Naomi was, as many speculated, sent by Penelope Widmore to find Desmond.

Overall, the on-island stuff was amazing and I'm really eager to see the continuation of all three developments--Sawyer getting the tape, Jack and Juliet finding out about Naomi, and Locke heading back to Ben with his dead father.

It was a great episode of LOST and the flashbacks made it even better.

On-Island Flashbacks:

The flashbacks were my favorite part of this episode. Yeah, there was great Cooper/Sawyer interaction and that was a 10/10, but something about these flashbacks really intrigued me. Maybe it was seeing that weird new column that seemed as if it predated the 4-toed statue or maybe it was seeing Ben, Richard, and Cindy and all the other creepy Others in their new tent-camp. Either way, these flashbacks were great because they filled in a lot of the holes in Locke's on-island story and they even gave us some new information. I'm not going to do a recap for this part of the episode, but I do have a lot too talk about.

First off, why in Jacob's name did Cooper bite Locke's hand? The best reasoning I've heard is that Cooper was attempting a variation of the "pinch yourself to see if you're dreaming effect." As you know, Cooper believed that he had died in the car crash and was now in hell so maybe he bit Locke's hand to see if he was really there. I don't know, but something tells me that there's more to that than meets the eye. Or, it could be nothing. Who knows on this show!?

The next flashback starts off with Locke helping Cindy, the stewardess that gave Jack the mini bottles of Vodka, build a tent. Cindy tells Locke that the reason everyone is looking at him strangely is because they are excited he's here. In the LOST forums, I have a small theory, which I don't fully stand behind as of recent developments, that Jacob is dead and that Locke is a "second-coming" of a Jacob. I believe that something happened to Jacob, maybe as profound as recovering from paralysis or maybe something les, on the island that led to everyone around him worshipping him. Then, after he died, Ben took over as leader of the Others. But, as Alpert told Locke on the hill, Ben is/was to caught up in things like pregnancy problems that the other Others have forgotten why really came to the island in the first place. Locke is their new leader. Hey, I could be way off or totally correct, but it's my theory so respect it! Personally, as I said over at the forums, I would prefer that Jacob is still alive, but I trust that the writers know what they're doing and that it could go either way and still be satisfying.

Part of this flashback also includes a converation between Locke and Ben in which Ben states that he can't wait to show Locke what the island can do, but he first must kill his father to show his devotion to the island.
    Ben also convinces Locke that there is something about him that heals people, but I think it has more to do with where the Others are located on the island. The ruins maybe?

The rest of the flashback, although filling in plot-points about why Locke brought Cooper to Sawyer in the first place, don't provide much to speculate about. They were, however, very revealing and I really enjoyed the scene between Richard and Locke on the hilltop. Richard's such a creepy guy, don't you think? I would LOVE to see a flashback of him. Something tells me that I'll partly get my wish in the next episode. :D

Things I Noticed/Easter Eggs:

--Locke is Yoda again. For all of you who thought Locke became a bumbling buffoon in the last few episodes, I think we can somewhat agree that he is back to his awesome, awesome self. Even though he kind of chickened out on killing his father

--Rousseau likes to foreshadow. Seriously, what was up with that? What do you think Rousseau needs dynamite for? It definitely has something to do with Alex, in my opinion.

--The Black Rock is the coolest ship in the world.

--Cindy is special. I really think that everyone person the Others have taken are either special or pregnant.

--The lower Others are infatuated with Locke. Did you see the way those people were looking at him? They worshipped him as if he was Jacob!

--Ancient columns! How cool was that? I think we call agree it is definitely related to the four toed statue. Damon and Carlton even said that next year is going to focus on the ruins.

--Kate's pregnant. Duh!

--Sawyer's file had a French police report in it. Rousseau, Sayid, and Shannon all spent time in France.

--Alpert told Locke to get Sawyer to kill Cooper on my 13th birthday! Ah! Yay!

--Ben had a copy of The Oath on his bookshelf.

--I think Ben was right about Locke healing people. (He picked up Rose's medicine (not dead), he's spent time with Ben (walking), he ditched Boone (dead), he killed Mikhail (alive), he's himself (walking), he built Claire that crib with her (didn't die from pregnancy)) Someone should tell Sun to hang with Locke. If Locke can heal people, is he Jacob's equivalent.

--The ruins (colum, foot statue) are a sacred place that can heal people. I only think this if Ben is wrong about Locke healing people. And, if so, the island can easily heal a strangulation death.

--Fulfilling his life-long mission of killing the real Sawyer and deivering the letter did nothing for James and the interaction DEFINITELY didn't go as planned. He was not supposed to rip up that letter, but that was great writing.

--Cooper thinks he's dead and I loved that. "It's a litte too hot for heaven?" Cooper's names: Alan/Adam Seward, Anthony Cooper, Ted MacLaren, Tom Sawyer, Louis Jackson, and Paul.

Questions:

-How did Cooper get to the island?
    -Why did Rousseau need dynamite?
    -How did Penny know to look for the island?
    -Who built the ruins?
    -How did they find all the bodies!?
    -Whose covering up the crash?
    -Does Jack know that Juliet is still working for the Others?
    -What are Jack and Juliet hiding?
    -Can Locke really heal people?
    -More!

Dialogue:

Are you kidding me? The episode was written by Damon and Carlton, of course it had amazing dialouge! For serious, this week's writing was just pure, pure awesomeness. There were so many great lines and the scene between Sawyer vs. Sawyer and Cooper reading the letter was brilliant and totally unexpected (The ripping up the letter and how Cooper was a d**k until the end). I also really liked that Sawyer and Locke got some time together; they are both really great characters. Here are some of the great one-liners:

-Cooper calling Ben "bug-eye"
    -Sawyer: Sawyer's my name too.
    -Cooper: Little hot for heaven, isn't it?
    -Naomi: Remind me not to rescue you, Sayid.
    -The scene between Ben and Locke in the tent.
    -All the flashbacks
    -Pretty much everything.

Next Week/Season on LOST:

Okay, I'm going on record right now saying that next week's LOST is going to blow everyone's mind. Not only is it written by my 1st and 3rd favorite non Damon or Carlton writers, but it's a FARKING BEN FLASHBACK! Do you understand how epic that it is?! Who would've thought back in season 2 that we would one day get a Henry Gale flashback? I sure didn't. Anyway, because of these reasons, it's going to be awesome: it's a Ben flashback; it's co-written by Drew Goddard; more Locke; Sawyer now knows Juliet is a mole; the coolest episode title for any episode of LOST ever; did I mention it's a Ben flashback? I'm guessing that the overall review will be between 9.4 and 9.6. Hopefully, though, people will like it more than that and it will be a 9.7 or 9.8. I mean, I misjudged this week's episode by +.2; so, you never know.

Can you believe there are only 3 (4 really) episodes left in the season!!!! Ahh!!!!! I can't believe it! It's been such a great season and I want more! I need more! 7 months, people! 7 painful months!

Season 4 is going to rock your world. I'm telling you, it's going to be all about the island. The Ruins galore.

Top 10 Episodes Update: