Lost

The Brig

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 2007 on ABC

• Despite Lost being a great show all round, there are still some episodes that make you realise just how amazing this show is. This is one of them.

I have to say that when Lost is over there will be a handful of episodes that I will look back on with the most fondness. The Brig is one them.
    This episode had everything: mythology, mysteries revealed, action, character development and alot of terrific acting. I will start with the terrific acting. When it comes to awards on this show, the writers tend to give the most emotional performances to the main cast members such as Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly and Terry O Quinn. However Josh Holloway proved in this episode that he is a world class actor with a lot more vesatility than giving Kate some alluring looks. The entire scene between Josh Holloway and Kevin Tighe was simply genious. In this episode we discover that Ben wants Locke to kill his father or he will never be able to join the others. Locke soon realises even though Cooper ruined his life he is not able to kill him and Ben seems happy with this. Until Richard Alpert gives Locke a way out...Locke should get Sawyer to kill Cooper. And that's when the mystery that has plagued fans of Sawyer since the season 1 episode, "Confidence Man," is finally revealed...Anthony Cooper is the real Mr. Sawyer and he is the reason that Sawyer's parents are dead. At the beginning of the scene were Locke has Cooper and Sawyer locked in the Black Rock (Also amazing!!) we see the utter shock and unrealisation that Josh Holloway is putting across when Sawyer realises what is going on. The man that he has dedicated his life to killing is finally at his mercy and he begins to play out his fantasy in much the way he imagined it. Kevin Tighe's comical quibs throughout the scene are both hilarious and cruel but it is still Holloway's screams of rage and looks of pure sadness that make me want to watch this episode again and again. If Holloway didn't win an emmy for this episode, then he should have. But whilst there was good acting in this episode the character development was also relevent. Locke finally let go of Cooper and is beginning his journey to find more answers, Sawyer is finally able to move forward in his life instead of hanging in this self hating limbo and there was even development going on at the beach.
    The beach story I have to admit took a back seat but it was still fascinating to learn more about the mysterious Naomi Dorrit and why she is on the island. Sayid soon begins to distrust her when he asks Desmond whether he actually saw her helicopter but soon changes his mind when Naomi reveals she has a radio that they can use to contact her freighter. However Sayid is still refusing to tell Jack, still not being able to trust him since he brought Juliet back to the camp. When Kate finds out that no-one plans on telling him she does it herself but Jack's answer is extremely ambiguous. It seems he and Juliet know something we don't and this plays out leading up to the season finale. It seems that it was Evangeline Lilly's performance that was the pinacle of the beach scenes. The way she looks at Jack when he is sitting with Juliet is heartbreaking, simply because he seems not to be the man that she left behind at the others camp. He is becoming less and less the focal point of the group and she realises that he is becoming more involved with Juliet for it. If Jack and Kate will ever work things out seems to be something that will carry on throughout the next three seasons and lets hope its just as bumpy and emotional as it has been so far. All in all this episode was a winner and definately my favourite of season 3 so far. Anthony Cooper is finally dead, Jack and Juliet are planning something mysterious and Locke is off to join the others and learn more answers about the island. Most certainly an episode that defines this season.