Lost

The Constant

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 2008 on ABC

• Fantastic

Fantastic, i almost cried!
  • Is this the Greatest Love Story of All Time?

Is this the Greatest Love Story of All Time?

No it isn't. But it's definitely up there.

The love story between Penelope and Desmond is amazingly good for TV.

It's actually better than the love story in many feature films.
  • whatever happens this season, episodes as good as this are a constant

A show of supreme quality, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (apologies, the former review has been moved to a new home, soon you will all be given the key) very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very enjoyable. A must-see.

• This is definitely the best episode of Lost for me.

This is definitely the best episode of Lost for me. The story of Desmond and Penny is just brilliant. Just beautifully crafted and edited storyline. Works perfectly with the entire theme of Lost. I was mostly a skeptic about Lost. I didn't watch the series because I kinda thought the writers were making things up as they went. Well, that might be true but when it comes together in an episode like this. Its brilliant. I can understand why Lost is a great series. And yes, there are episodes that just frustrate you and many loose ends. Once in a while, it just come together so good, its worth all the anticipation.
  • It will make your head ache and your heart yearn

There were a couple of reasons to look forward to a Desmond-centric episode --- there seems to be more in his past worth learning about, and because he's not a member of the Oceanic survivors, there's no way we can know what his future holds. Plus the writers always seem to put a little extra into writing his episodes. But even knowing all that can't really prepare you for 'The Constant', simultaneously one of the most mind-bending and heart pulling episodes the series would ever do.
    We've had a hard time getting to know Desmond's story because the writers have been using the flashbacks to tell it to us in reverse order. Essentially though, this episode is the companion to the Season 3 classic 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'. In that episode, we saw what happened to Desmond when he turned the failsafe key that blew the hatch in the second season finale. In that episode, his present day consciousness seemed to carry over to the past when he was still living in London with Penelope. He kept having flashes and we couldn't tell if he had traveled back in time or whether his life had flashed before his eyes. Now it turns out, it was more the former than the latter. None of this is apparent at the start when the helicopter carrying Sayid and Desmond finally flies back to the freighter, but they end up hitting some bad weather. Something happens and Desmond's consciousness travels back to 1996. (The viewer has a hard time telling this because there is no whooshing sound indicating the typical flashback or forward, which means much like in 'Flashes', this is really happening. Desmond loses his memory and appears to be back in the Royal Scots Guard, just slightly after he breaks up with Penny. He doesn't know what's happening to him, and neither does anyone else. And when they finally get to the freighter, no one seems interested in helping him, even though they've already seen it happen. And everybody on this boat, with the exception of Frank seems very creepy, even the doctor who is trying to treat him. Of course, their idea of treatment is drugging him and locking him up, along with a man named George Minnkowski, who we heard of in some of the previous episodes, but never saw. Somehow whatever's happening to Desmond is happening to George, and it's not looking good.

Back on the island, everybody is glad to hear back from the freighter, but no one has any idea what has happened to Desmond. Someone does have a clue--- and oddly enough, it's Daniel. (Before this, we once again witness the prime example of nobody on the island ever asking any questions. Daniel asks if Desmond has ever been exposed to electromagnetism or radiation. The viewer knows that's exactly what happened in the Season 2 finale, but on the beach, Jack and Juliet just shrug their shoulders and go "Wha?" Of course, it doesn't help that the main people who know are still with Locke.) Daniel's attempt to solve the problem--- which involves the sat phone, and a rather massive attempt to reconnect --- involves him going to Oxford in order to meet up--- with the 1996 version of himself, and telling him about Eloise, who we will learn is one of Daniel's white mice. (We're not going to find out the significance of that name for awhile.) Daniel is not that hard to convince, surprisingly, because he seems to have devoted his work to figuring out this problem. He then says that Desmond has somehow become unstuck in time, and then gives an explanation as to what may have happened. In 'Flashes' his consciousness traveled backwards in time, but his corporeal self did not. Now it appears that his 1996 consciousness has traveled back to the 2004 one, and because of this he no longer has any memories of what has happened on the island. (As to why Daniel didn't remember this little side trip when he came to the island in the first place, well, Daniel's experiments involved a lot of radiation, and as we see in 1996, he never really thought about how to protect his head, which probably explains why he was such a mess when we first met him.)

If you're still able to follow all this, then you've clearly been watching Lost very closely. I have, and I still was barely able to keep up with the science of this. But then the science has always been of peripheral importance to me--- I care more about the human element. And this story has that in spades. In order to keep himself anchored in the present, Daniel tells him that he needs a constant, and as anyone who watches this show knows, that's Penny. And even though Frank claims he never heard of Penny, George has--- there are strict orders that no communications from Penny are to be allowed to go through tot he island. (This is actually a pretty big hint as to who really sent the freighter out to the Pacific in the first place.)

Naturally, this involves another visit with Mr. Widmore again, who is no less disdainful of Des than he was in 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'. While were meeting him, we get another pretty big hit about the island--- Mr. Widmore is bidding on the journal for the Black Rock the slaving ship that somehow ended up in the middle of the island loaded with dynamite. Widmore seems very intent on getting that journal. It's hard to believe he would help Desmond in the first place, but he clearly believes this is more cruel to let Penny tell him that she's forsaken him. (He doesn't know his daughter very well, either.)

The two scenes near the end of the episode, in many ways, represent the bottom and top of their relationship. Penny clearly thinks that Desmond has gone round the bend, but nevertheless gives him her number and promises that she will not change it before 2004. He then makes the call, there is a long pause--- and then Penny's there. The scene that follows is one of the most moving in Lost's history--- arguably the best since Jin and Sun were reunited in the middle of Season 2. Frantically, each tries to get all the information they can over this choppy connection, finally swearing eternal devotion and the promise that they will find the other. If nothing else, this proves that Desmond is different than the survivors of Oceanic 815--- he has something to hold on to, something that has not broken him, something that makes him want to be saved. When he manages to anchor himself, he has something to live for--- which is more than many of the people of the island can say.

But Desmond's connection to Penny is not the only one that is important. Daniel knows that he is now connected to Desmond, and in his journal, mixed around a mess of equations and numbers is a telling phrase--- "If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant." The two men know nothing about each other, but they've formed a link that will last them a lot longer than their time on the island

'The Constant' is an example of how brilliant a great show can be when all of its cylinders are firing. There are many great shows that can find a way of exercising the brain and the heart. And even though it's not a holiday episode, it feels more genuine as a Christmas episode (it takes place on December 24) than the most saccharine of holiday shows. One of the high points in the series, for sure.
    My score:10
  • Simply mind blowing is all I can say.

I'm a huge fan of any storyline involving time travel, but this episode was pure genius. Once again Lost has delivered an episode full of amazing writing, dialogue and entertainment. Each scene kept me glued to my seat, right up until the climactic phone call at the end. The idea of jumping Desmond back ad forth between time periods is an amazing way to keep the audience wanting more. Reminds me of how The Lord of The Rings books would jump between each groups storyline from chapter to chapter. It'll be hard to impress me any better from here on out.
  • Desmond goes back and forth between 1996 and 2004.

3.5
    I'm not sure where this episode came from. I feel like I'm watching a different show, and a bad one at that. The guy who plays Desmond is a good actor, but his character is single-handedly bringing the show down from "epic" to "laughable".

This episode was painful to watch, at best. I agree with some other reviewers that said the writers have gotten to a point where they have no idea what to do with the show, so they are just throwing ideas into the wind. This whole "time travel" idea is just plain silly. I'm at the point where every time Desmond comes on the screen I just want to hit the FF button.

I've been watching lost on Marathon for the last week or so, and this is BY FAR the worst episode yet. I came onto TV.com to see if this was the lowest rated show of the series, and to my surprise it's the HIGHEST??? This episode is just pure rubbish.

I should have prefaced this review by saying I am not a sci-fi fan in the least bit.
  • 10. Amazing episode that plays around with time better than any any show or movie I've seen in awhile

For many, The Constant is the best episode Lost ever produced in its six year long run, and it certainly is one of the best. For me, however, there are better episodes, mostly because this episode is focused mainly on one select group of characters, where other episodes were able to put the same amount of surprises and talent into an episode that focused on everybody. However, don't let my nitpicking detract from how great the episode is. With this episode, Lost shies away from flashforwards and flashbacks, instead combining the two in an odd pairing of Desmond's memories with the events going on inside the freighter and on the island.

Upon watching the episode for the first time, I didn't appreciate it for what it was. By the time I got to the end, I was a little confused, mostly because Lost had rarely dabbled in time travel up until this point, and the whole idea of Desmond's 1996 self being sent to the 2004 self and having to interact with 1996 Faraday while the 2004 Faraday gave him instructions sort of sent me reeling. However, a second viewing reveals all sorts of previously unseen easter eggs. This is the beginning of Lost's descent into science fiction, their segue-way into a new genre.

Desmond was superb in this episode, and the writing gave him a lot to work with. I've always been a fan of Desmond's flashbacks. His relationship with Penny has always been a way to counter-balance the constant flip-flopping between Kate and Jack and Sawyer. Desmond and Penny's inability to be with one another stregthens the power of the scenes and in this episode, we see the show use this idea to its full potential.

While I felt this episode (I mentioned this before) didn't add much to the overall plot of Lost, it did act as the best stand-alone episode of the entire series. At this point, we didn't know that the Oceanic Six would be jumping around in time, living in the 70's and helping contribute to some of the events that they heard about in the 21st century.. this was a complex yet highly entertaining episode filled with great acting and writing.

Watching Desmond grow more and more desperate to find his constant gave an urgency to the episode that made it even better, and the quick cuts from past to present day helped perfectly create an atmosphere of chaos and confusion. This was just an all-around great episode of Lost, and one that I still remember as a stand-out years later.
  • Extremely good episode

Probably my third favorite episode after "Ab Aeterno" and "Happily Ever After". I love how the relationship between Desmond and Penny unfolds. For once, we had an episode that was just pure science fiction/ science fantasy. A fun time travel episode. It's interesting how Minkowski doesn't survive the "trips" because he lacks a constant and how Desmond finally finds his. This is a wonderfully nice showcase on true love, unlike what seems to be happening with the Jack/ Kate/ Sawyer triangle. These three seem to be constantly going into and getting out of relationships, while Desmond and Penny seem to have a true love of the sort that only some on the island find.
  • Totally pointless and without direction

This is a prime example of a show that has completely lost its way. The writers seem to have forgotten the 70 or so unfinished story threads that are already hanging out there and have now decided to stray off into an unexplainable time-travel story arc.

I am a huge fan of science fiction. I have seen more films and read more novels than most. No one is more excited and intrigued than I am when an unusual or unique story sees the light of day and "Lost" definitely qualified when the first season rolled out. However, it became painfully apparent that by the end of the third season, no one involved in the production of this show had any clue as to where this story was going anymore. What was an intriguing tale of the mystery of this island and the star-crossed destinies of the Oceanic 815 survivors has deteriorated into a "What-other-weird-crap-can-we-throw-out-there"-fest.

This sad excuse for an episode is just another example of that.
  • Aye don't believe the hype, brother!

6.9
    This episode kinda left a strange aftertaste.
    Okay, we know now why Desmond has his flashes all the time, but this time travel or mind travel thing is a bit far fetched for my taste. I like the mystery aspect in Lost, but only when there is at least a halfway logical explanation for it.
    I wonder how they going to explain this time travel later on in the season without getting totally absurd.
    Anyway, all in all it was an entertaining episode, but the thing that annoyed me the most was the very poor acting, especially from the ship crew and Sayid.
  • Mind Blowing Episode, and one more Time, featuring Desdmond as the Main Character!!!!

Plot Details/Objective -» Centering in Desmond is proved to be a success, even if there was an episode that was boring like the last one. So this time was about continuing what was left in "Flash Before your Eye", which was one of the Best episodes. And the writers didn´t save any material anymore, if you want to Know what happened with Desmond and see a very emotional episode, than this episode is strongly recommended.

What I Like/Disliked -» It is Hard to Say what Scene that I didn´t Like!!!

Overall:

Presentation -» (10/10). Very Strong. It is incredible, Lost writers don´t put someone there to explain how Desmond travel in time, you actually see it first.

Complication Phase -»(10/10). Was this worth? With Desmond life on the line, how that could not be? Not only that, but the all time travelling storyline has to be resolved here.

Climax -»(10/10). Can you really not feel something for the Best romance in Lost?

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). Was nice to see the surprise at the ending, make sense.

Time Travel -» (10/10) It is hard to evaluate this, since the first scenes of Desmond Past wasn´t something brilliant, but it fits very well in his Time Travel Storyline, so this is something unique.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). When you are watching this episode, it will be impossible to notice that Scenes that are there to buy time.

Dialogues -» (10/10). You have all the dialogues necessary for this Time Travel Storyline, the writers couldn´t do better.

Action /Adventure -» (9/10). More about this type of adventure is because of the time travel.

Drama/Emotions -» (10/10). Desmond and Penny Are the Highlight of this episode.

Tension/Suspense -» (10/10). The last scenes, it seemed impossible to Penny 8 years later, answered Desmond phone call. This type of tension is the base of this Show, a moment that steal everything.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). This episode can be confusing for some part of the audience, but this episode have all. Mystery and revelations, it is impossible not be excited with this episode. There are some hints like the Black Rock and Hanso.

Surprise/Twists/Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The end fits very well the Theme of this episode, was like a movie, that ends, but there are one details left that will cause the story to continue.

This episode is exactly what Lost fans are waiting for, hints, mysteries, revelations and romance, all in the same package.
  • One of the greatest episodes of "Lost" of all time!

Arguably the greatest "Lost" episode of all time! Desmond's time travel back to 1996, and his telephone reunion with Penny in the island present, is one of the greatest moments in television history! If you don't tear up watching Desmond talk with his "constant" Penny, then their is something seriously wrong with you! The fourth season of "Lost" keeps getting better and better, especially with this episode. The love story between Desmond and Penny is one of the most incredible ever told! Plus, a great set-up piece to Ben's spy on the boat, and Widmore's interest in the Black Rock, plus his comment to Desmond "it's not me who hate's you". this is why I love this show!
  • Strange Temporal Case of Desmond Hume

This episode deserves to figure in all viewers top 10 list. First Henry Ian Cusick performance as Desmond is astonishing and he was even nominated for an Emmy. Since his first appearance in season 2 he keeps growing on us and after watching The Constant it's impossible not to like him. Second Sonya Walger is perfect as Penny and in fact she reminds of Renée Zellweger. They excel in genuine roles and her relationship with Desmond seems so real that anyone can easily relate to their story. The phone scene should even make you cry considering how emotional the characters get. Moreover even if it's pure fiction the writers managed to make us believe in it. And the most impressive thing is that it seems there's no temporal paradox like in Back to the Future. Daniel Faraday even explained time travel to Jack and Juliet, well in his own nerdy way. But the real candy in this episode are probably the perpetual flashbacks between 1996 and 2004. The two Desmond seem so different, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And it's not just how they look but more about how they act. The military scenes even reminded me of Full Metal Jacket. Let's also not forget the surreal scene at Oxford University.

So to sum things up, this is a must see. One thing I'm sure of is that The Constant will be remembered as one of the most fascinating Lost episode. It was perfect from the story, directing, writing to the characters. It's definitely the kind of cult episode you'll watch over and over.
  • A great episode.

" The Constant " is a great episode that firmly entrenches the use of time travel in this show. Desmond is one of my favorite characters of those that were not introduced in the first season. I had never considered the possibility of a person's consciousness traveling back and forth through time rather than their physical self so it was good to see such an innovative plot device uses to help flesh out his character. The story also helps us get to know Daniel Faraday a little bit more and explains what happened with George Minkowski back on the freighter.
  • When Desmond and some others were traveling back to the freighter on the helicopter, they go through the barrier and Desmond starts having flashbacks that could severely effect him. Desmond has to find his constant before it is too late.

I thought this episode was very well written. This episode revealed a lot about what the island does to some people. It shows how the island is a very mysterious place. When the episode ended with Daniel opening his notebook and flipping through the pages to find that on his page was written, "If anything happens, Desmond Hume is my constant" was a great way to end the episode. It shows a lot about the things to come and how if he ends up having the flashes he would have to find Desmond. This episode wasn't an episode that answered many questions about past things but it will about things to come in next seasons.
  • Lost's Christmas episode.

What saves this episode is the phone call at the end. Very emotional. I'm not into all this time-travel stuff, though, I do appreciate the nifty twist on the method in this episode. You see, here, it isn't your physical body that time-travels, but your mind/consciousness. Clever. The experiment with the mouse is great, and the use of cuts in editing to show the jumps is also well done. But my problem, as it has always been with Desmond, is that his character is not really connected with the other castaways or the island or really the overall endgame of the show. He's in his own little world, caring about one thing and one thing only- Penny. It's a beautiful and epic love story, and that's why he works, but I admit I dread his episodes because they disconnect us from the overall main story going on.
  • How can i even describe this episode!?

This one is exactly why i watch Lost. If someone was to try and begin watching the series with jumping even a few episodes it would be very very hard to catch up, and this episode exactly proves that. A man who jumps time 8 years to the past and back with the risk of his brain short circuiting, just amazing. Now what i don't understand is how Desmond continued to live in the past with the knowledge that he'd already been to the future, or did destiny fix that problem? The great thing about the show is that they out out an episode like this one just in time, right after a couple of twist and 'story-wise important' episodes, comes a 'Constant' that just blows your mind.
  • The Constant proves that the writers of LOST are not afraid to take risks, that jumping the shark is not necessarily a bad thing, and that no matter what your opinion is on the concept of time travel, it makes for some awesome storytelling.

This episode, in a nutshell, sums up Lost and why I love it. It's as interesting, exciting, dramatic and as damn cool as you could ever ask a television show to be.

Using a similar plot device to the series Finale of 'Star Trek : The Next Generation', this episode deals with a fantastic plot-device crafted by the writers known within the fiction of the show as 'Consciousness Time-Travel'. The character of Desmond finds himself 'unstuck in time', essentially meaning his consciousness is sent hurtling between the present and the future versions of himself. This strange phenomenon, seemingly brought on by the mysterious time-distortion properties of the Island, makes for some excellent storytelling relating to Desmond's character. As well as explaining the origins of his premonitions last season, the time travel element within this episode helps us further explore the greatest romantic relationship of the series; his love for Penelope, a past girlfriend whom he had split up with during his prior time-traveling romp, last seasons mind-blowing 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'.

The Constant is remarkable in that it somehow manages to tell an excellent stand-alone story, filled with plot, drama and emotion, whilst also bursting at the seams with dense exposition, character development and an excellent narrative. This neat little package is compliment by a significant step in the over-all, unfolding story-arc for the series, and honestly each time i watch 'The Constant' I am simply amazed that the writers managed to fit all of this into one single, 42 minute episode.

A fine example of why I can't get enough of Lost, and easily one of my favorite episodes of the series so far.
  • A Desmond-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I thought that this episode was absolutely amazing. I thought that the Desmond's flashbacks were very interesting and very well done. I've always thought that Desmond was very interesting character, and this character only made me even more interested in him than I was before. This episode also made me become even more interested in the characters Daniel and Charlotte and what exactly they know about the island. I'm really glad that they were heavily involved in Desmonds's storyline. All in all, in all I thought that was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the rest of season four of Lost.
  • Consider my mind blown.

What can I say? Best episode ever. Desmond's and Penny's story is one of the most touching love stories ever. The phonecall is probably the most emotionally moving scene of this show to date. The back and forth scene changing was so intense and so great... I can't praise Jack Bender and the episode editors enough for this.

The whole episode was an excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT mixature of human emotions, character development, and that typical Lost confusion that makes you go "wtf" all the time.

This episode overtook Flashes Before Your Eyes in my books. Perhaps because this episode covered much more ground than FBYE. It's funny that, if you look at it, there was barely any action, and the whole episode took place in very limited locations, yet it feels incredibly fast paced and action packed. Daniel's character is further explored, and now he's officially my favourite frightie, although Frank is very cool too, he seems like a good person. But Daniel... he's borderline genius and crazy, and that's just awesome. The ending... Desmond being his constant? Wow. Well... makes sense, but I didn't see that one coming, even though I should have. Obviously, Desmond was very important to Dan, because through him, he finally proved the existance of time travel. I never thought I would write that down in a review of a Lost episode... wow.

I'm somewhat speecheless right now, so excuse me for the sloppy and short review. This episode hit perfection, and there's barely any TV episode that can put up a fight with The Constant.

Maximum respect to the cast and crew.
  • Outstanding episode

I loved the time travel, the Penny/Desmond phone call, the action and the high enjoyment which is never a fail.

This was the best episode of this season to date. Desmond's almost death was suspenseful, but I'm glad he didn't die. One thing that pissed me off is when those watching it with me say that it's too hard to follow, but I just reply "Get real!".
    I've watched Lost since the beginning and it's an awesome show. I think this episode brought the strong light back to this show as I've only enjoyed the first and third episode so far.
    Keamy and the freightor people are painful, especially because they're hard to deal with. Sayid stuck near Desmond pretty much the whole time. Daniel is still an unknown character because of his intentions and secrecy -- with Charlotte. The final 5 minutes tonight were brilliant! It will send word to stay tuned to next weeks episode. Lost is such an awesome TV drama, always has, still is, and always will be.

So overall, I convered most of it. This was a masterpiece...
  • this episode was on of the best episodes of Lost until now.

One thing that makes this episode so special is the time-line theory,it really makes this episode exitting and makes it so thoughtful,it makes the viwers think about every move in it...

when dezmond returnes to past he makes some changes but at the last scene when faraday looked at his papers he found that note about dezmond that he wrote in 1996,taht means whatever you do in the past it wont change the feuter but it will help making the very future that you are living,meaning no one can change the future...
    this is one of the theories in the time stuff but there is another one that tells the way of changing the future by making a change in the past,but this one is irelivant in the show.
  • awesome informative, intriguing n a typical lost anti-climax

one of d bst episode of d season ... of d series
    srt of d 4th season ws so slw bt wth ths episode d director hs justifd d publicity ths series hs gt
    though it has been a wondrfull blnd of mystry n emotions n anti climxes, bt nthing beats this episode
    a perfect show
    d mix of science wth ongoin mystry , d tym travel thng n all
    makes it a intrguing episode
    d daniell farday n his constant thng
    n all that confusion bout dasmend n penny it a little cleared out
    its like various peices gttin into place
    truly awesome!!
    waitin 4 d next episode
  • Lost is getting really confusing...

Desmond goes back and forth through time after a strange ride to the freighter. He goes from 2004 to 1996 in the blink of an eye. Daniel helps him out in both years. He has to find a constant, which is Penny.

Jack and Juliet worry about Sayid and Desmond back on the island. Desmond gets disoriented and meets George, a man like him. Sayid fixes the phone on the freighter and Desmond calls Penny. They still love each other. Desmond won't die because he found a constant.

This episode was really weird. I liked it, but it was way confusing. I'm glad that Desmond and Penny still love each other though! This episode gets a 10!
  • Outstanding episode and perhaps the only episode yet that I can give an honest 10 score to.

It took me a while to get round to writing a review to this episode for the simple fact that I just couldn't think of the right thing that could truly give this episode justice. Let's start with saying that it is by far my favourite individual episode of Lost to date and is the only episode I have watched 4+ times (the latest time being tonight, hence me finally getting round to writing this review). I (probably along with many lost fans) have been waiting for the inevitable contact between des and penny again and I don't think the writers could have done it in as emotional, clever and frankly perfect way. I was quite sceptical the first time I started to watch this episode, as all stories involving time travel are full of flaws, but my scepticism was soon put to rest as what followed was the most entertaining episode of Lost yet. I can't wait to see if they better themselves even more in the remaining episodes of this season and remaining 2 seasons after that (I think it would be difficult work to get better than the piece of genius that was 'the faraday constant') peace out.
  • Complicated...

Jack is worried about Sayid and Desmond because they haven't heard from the freighter yet even though they left a day ago so Daniel tries to explain something really strange to Jack. Desmond travels in time to 1996 and forgets who Sayid is and why he's on the island so he gets help from Daniel. Daniel tells him he needs a constant. Something that is powerful and means alot to him which he can be able to tell the difference of time with. I know it's complicated. So Desmond uses Penny as his constant. The scenes between Penny and Desmond are very intense. I liked them. At the end of the episode we discover that Daniel is also going through time and he needs Desmond to be his constant. Terrific episode. Favorite character from this episode : Penny !!! She's so pretty. Good stuff.
  • In a great but bleak season, we receive a ray of light and hope in the season's masterpiece.

This show surprises more and more everytime, we have good episodes almost always, but somehow, when an episode is Desmond-centered, the bar goes up, first with Live Together, Die Alone and then with the groundbreaking Flashes Before Your Eyes and now this one, The Constant is a masterpiece of writing, acting, directing and storytelling, another risk taken and another success.
    The Constant, in the most twisted way you can imagine, continues Desmond's odyssey, this time, on the way of the freight, his mind starts to travel through time, all due to some reasons explained in the episode, giving us the samrtest episode of the season and arguably the most beautiful and best moment of the whole show.
    Highly recommended.
  • similar episode with doctor who season 3 episode 10 entitled "blink" but still a good episode

i have seen this kind of episode and its similar episode with doctor who season 3 episode 10 entitled "blink" but this one is still a good episode. i hope they dont copy some ideas in other tv series and how come this show a time travel show and its more becoming of a science fiction and i thoght first this show has no science fiction series and the longer the series running they are ruining this show. i think jj abrams has no more ideas on making more stories for this series and this show has 2 more seasons left
  • The constant was the best Lost produced, directed, and actors. It was a complete story, which can stand on it's own. Anyone could watch this one show and be satisfied with the results.

The Constant binds the show together. It was the best Lost
    period. Anyone could enjoy the story. It's stands on it's
    own. It's really about "True Love" regardless of the years,
    trust and love won out. A simple phone call and holding on
    to someone through time made for the most solid performances
    and great story of Lost. Desmond and Penny story could stand
    the test of time. Hopefully the writers, producers, and powers that be, take notice of this and somehow keep them
    to the end. It would give the viewers who stuck with the
    show all this time to have the one thing all want in life,
    Hope.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "Off the subject" - "Six Feet Under" made a terrible mistake in it's final season. They took the main character Nate and killed him off before the end and a guy who got it, suddenly became nothing but an **** The idiot writers and producers trivialized Nate's part to the point making him out to be mean, selfish man, and pointless. Nate was an anti-hero, but he spoke some of the best lines in the show and comforted people who dealt with death. I felt they totally ripped off by those writers, who made Nate fade to black, stupid idiots.
< 1 2 3 4 5