Lost

The Constant

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 2008 on ABC

• Desmond goes back and forth between 1996 and 2004.

3.5
    I'm not sure where this episode came from. I feel like I'm watching a different show, and a bad one at that. The guy who plays Desmond is a good actor, but his character is single-handedly bringing the show down from "epic" to "laughable".

This episode was painful to watch, at best. I agree with some other reviewers that said the writers have gotten to a point where they have no idea what to do with the show, so they are just throwing ideas into the wind. This whole "time travel" idea is just plain silly. I'm at the point where every time Desmond comes on the screen I just want to hit the FF button.

I've been watching lost on Marathon for the last week or so, and this is BY FAR the worst episode yet. I came onto TV.com to see if this was the lowest rated show of the series, and to my surprise it's the HIGHEST??? This episode is just pure rubbish.

I should have prefaced this review by saying I am not a sci-fi fan in the least bit.
  • this episode sucked as bad as libbys acting

In this episode nothing happens. A new question was formed and was answered at the end of the episode. It had nothing to do with what has happened in Lost so far. It hardly explained the Black rock either. it is just dragging on and killing time. I am very disappointed. Hiro Nakamura can time travel too, ya know? Its just crap the way they have dragged on the series with new questions every episode without answering the old ones. We still dont know hardly enough, even from season 1, it seems the writers have forgotten the plot of the show. Desmond is the best actor in the show, thats the only thing that went right in that episode.
  • Totally pointless and without direction

This is a prime example of a show that has completely lost its way. The writers seem to have forgotten the 70 or so unfinished story threads that are already hanging out there and have now decided to stray off into an unexplainable time-travel story arc.

I am a huge fan of science fiction. I have seen more films and read more novels than most. No one is more excited and intrigued than I am when an unusual or unique story sees the light of day and "Lost" definitely qualified when the first season rolled out. However, it became painfully apparent that by the end of the third season, no one involved in the production of this show had any clue as to where this story was going anymore. What was an intriguing tale of the mystery of this island and the star-crossed destinies of the Oceanic 815 survivors has deteriorated into a "What-other-weird-crap-can-we-throw-out-there"-fest.

This sad excuse for an episode is just another example of that.
  • In this stretch-of-an-episode, Desmond loses his sense of reality on the helicopter ride to the freighter. The then spend the entire episode jumping between his life in 1996 and the present on the freighter.

6.3
    Invisible man. Okay. Smoke monsters. Maybe... Time travel? What? Why doesn't everyone just fly off of the island? The writers of LOST told us in the beginning that there were scientific explanations for everything on the island. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know they meant "made-up science". This show got put in between a rock and a hard place and they decided to take the easy way out and either kill characters that complicated the plot too much for them or they decided they should introduce invisible men, or maybe, just for fun, they'd send character back and forth between 1996 and 2004 for a whole freaking episode. Did they steal this half-a**ed plot from the writers of the "Butterfly Effect"?

And of course, of all of the possible characters to get put onto the freight, it just happened to be Sayid. The only person who can fix an entire communications system. Why did you fools all give this episode a '10'? I wait, I forgot, most people who watch the show don't care about crappy writing, crappy acting, and terrible continuity. AHHHH
  • What's the Big Deal?: Mediocre Episode

7.8
    I have been watching lost since the pilot, I have been there through the high points and the low points. I must say that the beginning of Season Four so far has been a major low point. I read some of the other reviews on here calling this the best episode ever, but for me it was just another filler episode. Okay, I did think the whole flashing back and forth thing was cool, but the plot wasn't advanced at all. Okay, Desmond is my favorite character, but the whole idea of him finding his "constant" was a failed attempt at re-establishing the Desmond/Penny soap opera. The best thing about this episode was it did not contain another one of those lame "cliffhangers" where the writers attempt to cover boring episodes with random future connections to get people excited. So, thank you, "The Constant", for that. Maybe people that call this the best episode ever are suffering from "Lost" withdrawal. I like character development as much as anyone else, but this was poorly written and, I must say, a mediocre episode.
  • Aye don't believe the hype, brother!

6.9
    This episode kinda left a strange aftertaste.
    Okay, we know now why Desmond has his flashes all the time, but this time travel or mind travel thing is a bit far fetched for my taste. I like the mystery aspect in Lost, but only when there is at least a halfway logical explanation for it.
    I wonder how they going to explain this time travel later on in the season without getting totally absurd.
    Anyway, all in all it was an entertaining episode, but the thing that annoyed me the most was the very poor acting, especially from the ship crew and Sayid.
  • When the helicopter reaches the freighter, Desmond suffers from some serious side effects. An interesting, but overhyped episode.

7.1
    Just like "flashes before your eyes" this episode centers completly around Desmond. The only other charckter who has anything important to say is Daniel, who is becoming more and more one of my favorites. Another thing "the constant" has in common with the other "flashes before your eyes" are Desmonds Flashbacks. But know we know that they are not flashbacks. In fact, we finally find out that Desmond travels through time. Luckily the writers already confirmed that he dosn't do it physically and that the future cant be changed, but it will sure have a big impact on Lost and it will get us closer to what Dharma was up to.
    Having all that said, the way the episode is written didn't completly work for me. At times it was confusing and Desmonds jumps in time prevent the episode from ever picking up any drive. Except of the two or three essential scenes I actually found it pretty boring. I'd rather watch an exciting episode with no answers than an episode like this. It was alright, but after such a great start into the season "the constant" felt out of place. It was peobably still the best way to explain the whole time travel thing to the audience. At times I found it hard to watch, but the brilliant scene at the end made up for a lot of it. Just to sum it up one more time: Interesting but too exhausting to watch to be a great episode.
  • I was hoping, after Flashes Before Your Eyes, there wouldn't be any real time travel....

Unfortunately, to me, the writers went exactly where I was hoping they wouldn't, into the realm of time travel.
    I know it's not actual time travel, but the principle still applies.
    I must say, as much as this episode disappointed me, it was still good.
    Seeing some of the 'freighter' action was nice. Who are these people? Where do they come from? Etc.....
    And all the back and forth, between Penny and Desmond at the end, it was intense and even at times, heart wrenching. I'm quite happy they finally made contact.
    I would have given this episode a lower rating, but I admit, that the worst episodes of Lost, which I consider this one of, are still better than the sludge the networks want to feed us.
  • similar episode with doctor who season 3 episode 10 entitled "blink" but still a good episode

i have seen this kind of episode and its similar episode with doctor who season 3 episode 10 entitled "blink" but this one is still a good episode. i hope they dont copy some ideas in other tv series and how come this show a time travel show and its more becoming of a science fiction and i thoght first this show has no science fiction series and the longer the series running they are ruining this show. i think jj abrams has no more ideas on making more stories for this series and this show has 2 more seasons left
  • Enjoying episode to watch, but also frustrating.

7.9
    I think people are overating this episode abit. It was good dont get me wrong but People are saying its the "BEST EPISODE EVER" i disagree.. What was SOO great about it?

Its good how it explained why desmond couldnt remember anything. In the episode it explains if u are enduced to a high level of radiation or electromagnatism there are side effects (which obviously desmond experiences on the way to the freightor via helicopter) and he cant remember anything, until the end of the episode when he FINALLY gets to hear pennys voice and talks to her on the phone, he gets hes memory back. (he time traveled from past to present in order to get her number to ring her) Ok thats a breif summary of what happened. Was the plot needed or important? Not really because that episode could have been summarised with a quick segment in 5 mins. At LEAST it did explain maybe why desmond could see into the future and saw charlie's death ect. Anyway there are way more important questions to be answered on the show rather than new questions raised and being answered in that same episode. Are they forgetting about the main questions. Like who is Jacob and what does he stand for? The numbers? Why is Ben so rich? What is the black smoke? Wheres michael and Walt? plenty more, The new questions are making us forget the old ones which are still unanswered and most important.

Look i love the show its on of my favourites, but Cmon people realisticly Its becoming extremely frustrating. I hope you all know what i mean. Ill give the show credit for something.. I still cant wait for the next episode.
  • Over-rated (again) but non the less a great episode, currently the best of the season at the moment

Good episode, one of Desmond's better flashbacks, theres non of that whimsical bumbling about regaining honor, and while it's an episode that is a little confusing, it was interesting and makes you think, it feels more in line with lost than the last episode which seemed to be getting from A to B and sitting around eating up air time, pretty much most this episode kept my attention without any major groans raised.

Again, while stuff is being explained, or at least hinting to an explanation, or at least, some small sense of what is going on, you get the plot twist at the end, were as before with kates, and bens (man on the boat) twist felt sorta cheap and random (still to be explained) the plot twist was better fleshed out in this episode, all in all a great episode, wouldn't rank it in the top 5, but as with most lost episode's, it's new, so people overate it heavily by 1+/2+ marks.
  • All of Lost is an Alternate Reality but this one seemed to be on par with Dave and Flashes before your Eyes....Now can they tie this in to the rest of what is going on...I am not sure they ever tied those two eposides...

Two weeks ago I felt like Lost was a Bourne movie.One week ago I felt like Lost was a Days of Our Lives eposide. This week it felt like Dr. Who. This could be what makes the show so good, but they are also running the risk of making the show have no clear arc and getting us further lost (sorry about the horrible pun). As I have said before I am not sure I like the Sci-Fi if it can not tie into a clear rational Sci-Fi world. A world with clear boundries within that fantasy world. We shall see if this is delivered. How does Desmond actually fit into the whole. His eposides don't seem to really tie to everybody elses. I feel the same way with Hurly and his ability to make things appear in his head and disappear. I am still confused logically why Faraday knew Hume because he met him in the past, but why Hume does not remember that meeting with Faraday. As Faraday himself said you can't change the future. Or was it the past? Do you see what I am saying? Sci-Fi is fine if it has some logical basis.
  • Very good filler episode.

If this episode was a full length movie (which I believe it was), I'd be glued to my seat. The whole jumping back and forth through time thing is all good. This was a very good episode, but... That having been said, I was a little dissapointed in the lack of plot advancement. After three seasons, and going into a very shortened 4th, I'm not really satisfied with filler episodes anymore. If this were the only episode of Lost that I've ever seen, I wouldn't need any explanation of what was going on, It was totally disconnected from the story line. Yes yes we all know now that there's some kind of time warp thing going on, for anybody who needed to be hit in the head with it. It just didn't need to go on for a whole hour. But had it been on last season, I may have enjoyed it more, but who knows.
  • weird but good....... was this desmond centric episode realli needed?>

sometimes in this episode you didn't know what was going on!!!! oh my gosh. this episode was alright at first i dint know what was goin on but i still don't get it excactly !! what with the time difference?? perhaps the island got a different time ya know???? mmmmmm good i won't reveal to much as ive already been reported for spoilers!!! oh my gosh no way!! anyway this lost episode hasn't been the best last episode was better and it was obvious that desmond wasnt gonna die i think there could be some1 they know on the boat.... and i think it is some1 begging with 'M' well well.... till next episode can't wait looks awesome with juliet ya know.... :)
  • whatever happens this season, episodes as good as this are a constant

A show of supreme quality, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (apologies, the former review has been moved to a new home, soon you will all be given the key) very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very enjoyable. A must-see.

• One of the better episodes this season.

I was a little disappointed with the fourth season... until now. Some things were explained: like why Daniel is so "strange" and the "boat people" were shown for the first time. Also I noticed that genre of LOST might slowly be changing from mystery to sci-fi, because now we have physics and time-traveling (it was already shown once in the third season) involved in LOST. The best part was the end of the episode - I really loved the scene where Desmond finally had a chance to talk to Penny. Let's hope that all will end well and Penny will find him (and other lost'ies of course).
  • While on the way to the boat, Desmond experiences something strange.....

This is a instant series classic for Lost. I loved everything about this episode. There wasn't anything I didn't dislike about this episode to be honest. Faraday showed some genius this episode too, I was afraid he was starting to become like a horrible Charlie rip-off or something. I just really can't believe that he sent Desmond on a wild-goose chase like that just to ensure that nothing will happen to him. If you think about it, Jack is safe as well because he meet Desmond before he came to the island, so he should have no problem if something like that happens. I can't wait to the next one bring it on!
  • It was an overall masterpiece.

'The Constant', is undoubtedely the best episode I have ever seen of the show. It had every conventional aspect that made an ideal Drama masterpiece. It was unbelieveable. The one pinnacle factor that Lost has apart from any other show on television is the connectivity that we as an audience have in relation to the characters. It allows you to empathise, especially with Desmond and the phone call, it really did draw me in and play with my emotions. Lost is a solid, consistent and unique show that is just going to get better and better and I can't wait for the next episode.
  • Lost is getting really confusing...

Desmond goes back and forth through time after a strange ride to the freighter. He goes from 2004 to 1996 in the blink of an eye. Daniel helps him out in both years. He has to find a constant, which is Penny.

Jack and Juliet worry about Sayid and Desmond back on the island. Desmond gets disoriented and meets George, a man like him. Sayid fixes the phone on the freighter and Desmond calls Penny. They still love each other. Desmond won't die because he found a constant.

This episode was really weird. I liked it, but it was way confusing. I'm glad that Desmond and Penny still love each other though! This episode gets a 10!
  • My favorite episode

In this episodes there is a mix between the past of desmond and the present. Desmod travel though time, but not with his body he only travel's with his mind. Sayid and Desmod arrive to the boat, vut arter passing a storm desmond don't recoinise anyone. And then he talks with Daniel Faraday, and he tells desmond he needs to find him in the past. He do this and he explain that if Desmond don't find something in the future that is also in the past his Constand he contact Penny in the past and ask for her number then in the future talks woth her and he remembers everything and he is alrigth. The last thing is that Daniel finds his diary and say "If something goes wrong Desmond will be my contand" He writes this because the past Daniel was exposed to many radiation.
  • Desmond and Sayiid have not made contact with Jack back at the island, and he starts to wonder what happened to them. Faraday begins to explain to Jack and Juliet about their perception of time. Meanwhile, on the way to the freighter, something odd begins

I was glad to have a current episode and not a flashback or forward, although I do enjoy those as well. Desmond and Penelope's relationship is finally given some attention and I found it to be rather emotional. Ever since Charlie died and saw Penny on the console, I wondered when she would emerge again. The whole idea of a "constant" and then "desmond hume is my constant if anything goes wrong" in the diary at the end, brilliant. I couldn't help but tear up when she answered the phone though, I felt so sorry for him by that time, i only prayed she answered. Up to this point Desmond hasn't been a prominent character and this episode definitely attached me to him more. This show continues to amaze me!
  • This was a wow episode. Every bit had me on the edge of what was gonna happen next. THANK GOD FOR LOST!

This episode was amazing. The way it was done was excellent. The ending when Desmond and Penny were speaking word after word then it ended with an i love you was awesome! I'm starting to wonder if Desmond will get off the island, not as an Oceanic 6 because he didn't crash the plane with the rest of the 815ers. But i think Penny will find him and he and maybe some other people will be rescued... hmm. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully another Desmond epsiode will come up soon. This was a amzing episode .
  • As many others may agree this season of Lost seemed to be lacking something,there was a lot going on but none of it was actually important. They finally turned it around with this one.

I was more than dissapointed at the episode before this as I felt it had wasted about half an hour of my life. It seemed like a chore to keep watching.
    However this episode I thoroughly enjoyed. The time travelling plot twist was well worked out and provided more pre island connections between characters.
    Also this episode finally started revealiing some heafty answers, albeit while causeing more queries. It was revealled that the time perception from on the island differs from that else where in the world. While 815 survivors have been on the island for 96 days the rest of the world has only been missing them for 94 days.
    This explains why Daniels experiment from a couple of episodes back took a couple hours minutes longer to reach the island than expected.
    The side effects of travelling to and from the island also provide a good reason the the exact heading we hear about to leave the island.
    Hope there are more like this to come.
  • I was always hoping Lost would stay away from Sci-Fi or the Supernatural. However, if they keep churning out episodes of this quality I don't care what they do!

First thing to note is that once again there was no "Previously on Lost" bit. I don't think they've ever gone two episodes in a row before without previously sequences, not even in season 1. Maybe they realised that if you don't know what's going on now you never will! Onto the episode now and it was a Desmond-centric one, however yet again it was not a typical flashback. There was a possible argument in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" that it was all a weird dream or something and he never actually travelled back in time. That theory was obviously rubbished by this episode. Even though I'm not fully on board with the time-travel aspect of the show I am glad that they aren't dancing around the issue. This episode firmly states that time travel does exist within the Lost universe and that's now undisputable.

They quickly answer what happened to the helicopter after it left the island. Somehow it took a lot longer to get to the freighter than it should have. I don't think time is out of sync on the island, just that the weird electromagnetic storm can cause items to get lost in time. And I'm pretty sure that it should be later than December 24th, but I think that's more of a production goof than anything else. Anyway, this isn't about guessing what's going on, but about reviewing this fantastic episode. The fact that the time-travel has been shown from Desmond's perspective is a great idea because as one of the best characters you're enthralled by whatever he does. The show is about the characters and to use Desmond's tragic love story as the main part of the time-travel storyline gives it much more legitimacy than it would have had otherwise.

That said I'm still not completely on board with it. Penny being Desmond's "anchor" did seem like a slight cop-out answer to save him. But again because their reunion scene (of a sort) was so emotional and so well done I could happily buy it. I will add one thing though, for some reason I thought that Desmond might be killed whilst on the phone to Penny. The writers on Lost have never done anything that would make me think that they'd kill off a great character so carelessly (quite the opposite in fact) but for some reason I still don't have full faith in them and I don't know why. At any point I still think they could kill off anyone. That does give the show a more dramatic edge, but it meant that I couldn't get fully invested in Desmond and Penny's scene for fear of it being ripped apart. But in fairness that's my weird issue and not the show's so I can't blame it for that!

The flashbacks(if they can be called that) were done very well. There was never too little time spent on them and yet the transitions between the past and the present were always jarring, but in a good way. What's really interesting is that Desmond has this great backstory and yet they keep giving him these weird episodes, not that that's a bad thing and it does mean that there's plenty more mileage to be got out of the character. Still we got a glimpse into his time in the army here. I think there were a few production flaws in there, but that can't really be helped when having something set in a different country. Also Lost continues the great tradition of Brits in American shows only knowing two swear words! That said at least all the Scots didn't have broad Glasgow accents with tartan everywhere which is how they are depicted in many shows made in England.

Penny and Desmond's relationship continues to be the best on the show and was used to full effect here to reveal a new theme on Lost. And from the ending I'm guessing that the time-travel story will continue to have an impact on the show. It also worked to explain his "flashes" last season really well and as he's presumably cured of these now it'll be interesting to see where his story goes from here. This episode could've easily gone horribly wrong, but thanks to a great script, superb acting from Henry Ian Cusick, excellent directing and a very moving story the whole thing came off wonderfully. It looks like we're going to have to except the weird sci-fi nature of the show now, but I can live with it. Of course if the Monster turns out to be souls of everyone who's died on the island I might not be so excepting….
  • A little questionable with the time periods but who cares? The romance at the end is the reason this is the first season 4 episode I rewatched four times already.

The two things in this episode is the romance between Penny and Desmond and a new time travel plot point.

I wasn't as much as a fan of the time travel. The rules for who's affected by the fracture of time and how they're affected seemed shifty and so did the rules for the consequences of changing the past. The shifts in time were suspiciously convenient, but that's a mixed blessing b/c it would be aggravating if they weren't.
    It looks like we met Ben's man on the boat who destroyed the communications. Why else would an actor from 3:10 Yuma have a role if it wasn't going to have its own arc?

This episode had my favorite ending of season 4 so far. What a great emotional scene to close with. They didn't close with a big shocker which I liked because I was starting to become more aware of the fact that the last two seconds of episodes are always a great twist. It was refreshing to have the ending simply be a beautiful, emotional scene. Even more, it didn't have to be a tragic scene for once! I can only hope feebly that the writers spare just this romance from tragedy but for now we have a beautiful long distance scene.
  • Crazy

This episode blew my mind. It was very good. The whole Desmond back in time and present thing was very interesting. Glad he called Penny :)
  • Compelling story-telling. Serious answers.

How have the Lost writers managed to fit an episode this good at this point in the season? The last episodes that packed this kind of emotional wallop were "The Beginning of the End" and "Greatest Hits." The last ones that added this much to the mythology were "Through the Looking Glass" and "Confirmed Dead." Notice those are all season premieres and finales. When the episode began, I was skeptical about a Desmond-centric story. His stories tend to pull away from mysteries that have been developing. And despite last week's flop, the season has gotten off to a good start with a lot of intriguing directions. But the fact that stories about Desmond are told without regard to stories about everyone else is what made this episode great.

In this self-contained narrative we had loads of theories about the lost island either confirmed or denied. For example, apparently it is still 2004 off the island. BUT time does bend around the island so that you can leave shore at dusk (is it me or has it been a long time since we saw a sunset or sunrise on the island???) and arrive at the freighter 20 minutes later in the middle of the day. We learn that Desmond is in fact time travelling. No guess work here. All it leaves to question is what happened to future Desmond who knows who Sayid is and remembers the hatch imploding? It's possible he's drifting between dimensions same as past Desmond. Maybe the constant allowed past Desmond to stop the drifting and now their roles are more permanent. ?

Who knows. The point is there are some answers but by the end of the show we don't care because the Lost writers recognize that there is a more important story to tell. Desmond and Penny's story of forgiveness and hope is central to Lost. This is where Kate dropped the ball last week, but picks up right where Hurley left off in his mourning of Charlie. I am interested to see what Daniel's ultimate role in things is. He likes his job and is good at it despite the assertions of the self-important freighter doctor. It seems his job is important to the physical properties of the island. Yet when we were introduced to him, it was his emotional connection to the island that first drew him to this mission. Frank's role is also becoming interesting since it doesn't take him a moment's hesitation to help Sayid keep his buds out of the "sick bay." Desmond and Sayid's "friend" on the ship is either Ben's "man on their boat" or someone sent by Widmore to rescue, protect, or sabotage Desmond. Anyway, those are all interesting questions and we got a plate full of mouth watering answers for that obsessed fan in us that is caught up in the drama and mythology. But we also got an exceptional and compelling story that transcends themes central to Lost.
  • "I love you Penny!, I've always loved you!"

Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much
  • A stunning episode which answers some questions nicely.

Desmond is the only character I really feel for. Every one of the survivors appears to have an awful life off the island with nothing to look forward to and each have done pretty bad things (to an extent). But Desmond has someone he really loves off the island. And she has been trying to find him for three years now. The tears that were threatening to leave my eyes as he made contact with Penny in this episode will stay there until the real contact comes and I would say that only that episode when it arrives could top this one.
    All episodes of season four so far have been excellent and this one raises the bar higher. Mainly, I would say, because of Cusick's superb performance as Desmond. He (and to a lesser extent Naveen Andrews), is arguably the best actor in Lost and any episode centred on his character is always a joy to behold. I only hope this is not the beginning of the end of Desmond's storyline.
    Any story revolving around time travel is bound to come up with paradoxes and the like so I've not bothered thinking too much about that aspect of the story except to ponder the Constant. I didn't fully understand why Daniel couldn't be Desmond's Constant if all it takes is a phone call. He spoke to Daniel on the island in 2004 and in Oxford in 1996. Daniel did say something about the Constant being something you love but then why would he write in his journal that if all fails then he could use Desmond as a Constant? Does he love Desmond? He hardly knows the guy - or maybe he knows him better than we think now that they have contacted each other in 1996 now. Too complicated.
    A little thing they threw into this episode was a wonderful reappearance of Charles Widmore winning an auction of the first mate's journal from the ship The Black Rock, currently owned by someone named Hanso! I hope to see more of Widmore now that contact has been made by Penny and this reintroduction of Hanso and The Black Rock could indicate that we're going to find out a bit more of the more ancient history of the island.
    Overall this was a superb episode and I can only expect next week to be a disappointment as I'll be expecting too much and the focus will be away from Desmond's very interesting storyline.
  • awesome! no spoilfowards & a nice buildup to a great ending!

more time-travelling. really, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as we saw desmond travelling into the past before in flashes before your eyes when the old lady told him he couldn't change the past. in this episode, he's unstuck from time & in order to avoid a time paradox (which daniel totally makes a sarcastic comment about before desmond tells him about eloise) they explain how he doesn't cover his head so he obviously forgot about their meeting & the settings for his flux capacitor! ;) but despite all this sci-fi goodness & ben's mole on the ship helping them out of the medical bay, the whole point of this episode is that penny didn't give up on desmond. despite his mistakes & failings, she loves him & kept that phone # even though she didn't want to speak to him at the time, when she changed her mind & decided to get him back, she kept that phone # & kept searching for him. it was such an emotional scene that even i cried for them. i know, corny, but of all the motivations that we've seen on this show, this is the only one i can respect. it well done & the best part of this episode. just that phone call at the end.
< 1 2 3 4 5