Lost

The Constant

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 2008 on ABC

• Strange Temporal Case of Desmond Hume

This episode deserves to figure in all viewers top 10 list. First Henry Ian Cusick performance as Desmond is astonishing and he was even nominated for an Emmy. Since his first appearance in season 2 he keeps growing on us and after watching The Constant it's impossible not to like him. Second Sonya Walger is perfect as Penny and in fact she reminds of Renée Zellweger. They excel in genuine roles and her relationship with Desmond seems so real that anyone can easily relate to their story. The phone scene should even make you cry considering how emotional the characters get. Moreover even if it's pure fiction the writers managed to make us believe in it. And the most impressive thing is that it seems there's no temporal paradox like in Back to the Future. Daniel Faraday even explained time travel to Jack and Juliet, well in his own nerdy way. But the real candy in this episode are probably the perpetual flashbacks between 1996 and 2004. The two Desmond seem so different, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And it's not just how they look but more about how they act. The military scenes even reminded me of Full Metal Jacket. Let's also not forget the surreal scene at Oxford University.

So to sum things up, this is a must see. One thing I'm sure of is that The Constant will be remembered as one of the most fascinating Lost episode. It was perfect from the story, directing, writing to the characters. It's definitely the kind of cult episode you'll watch over and over.