Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• Apparently, Sayid sold his soul.

After finishing this episode, most of us Lost fans definitely did think "What an amazing episode". But the truth is that, if the last 3 minutes were cut, we would've thought: "What a bad episode".

I'm not really a fan of rating episodes high just because they have a good ending but this is one of the few episodes where I feel I can do that.

First of all, the island portion of this episode was rather weak. Not so much dull, but predictable and quite honestly, nothing exciting. Season 4's island portion has started very strong with TBOTE, then fell a bit with CD, and now continues falling with "The Economist".

Sayid, Miles and Kate trekking to Locke's camp to get Charlotte wasn't too exciting to start with. And the idea of it wasn't too great either - at this point the last thing one would want to see is a trek on the island. The two scenes I enjoyed were Hurley acting as if he was betrayed by Locke(nicely played!) and Ben interacting with Sayid. Those were great, and really boosted the rating. But the rest?

Dan's experiement which proved that there's a time anomaly on the island would've been brilliant if it wasn't for the really awkward writing. Jack and Frank simply IGNORING Dan and what he just proved(while they were standing next to him) was very very unrealistic. Sawyer managed to get Kate to stay with him - not a good scene either. Very forced, I really felt no chemistry between them like I usually do.

The last set of island scenes were good though, Sayid leaving on the chopper with Desmond and Frank. Great music and fantastic directing.

Now as for the flashforwards: they were very decent. Opened with a nice surprise: Sayid is off the island and he kills a man - then turns out he is a hitman working for someone - then the Alias / James Bond-esque romance ( hook up with the enemy ), then the great twist that the "enemy" was aware of it all along, and then the mindblowing reveal who Sayid is working for.

It was a nice spy story told in only about 15 minutes. Surely, it's not something incredibly revolutionary, but the fact that Sayid is back to his roots was very nice to watch.

Oh, and the reveal; Sayid is working for Ben! He is off the island too! And obviously is NOT part of the Oceanic Six. Out of all the scenes / moments so far this season, this has been the most important thus far and easily this is the scene that created the most theories amongst the fans. An excellent twist that really shocked me; I was literally frozen for a few minutes after finishing the episode.

Overall, the flashforward's greatness and the amazing twist made me appreciate this episode alot more. The island plot rates a weak-ish 7/10, but the rest is a solid 9.5/10.

Averaging that we get a nice 8.3. Above average episode.
  • Another member of the six revealed, and a doozy of a fadeout

And today we learn member number four of the Oceanic 6--- Sayid. And we also see that fate doesn't seem to have been much kinder for him than Jack or Hurley.

Sayid is about the only character who's come to an epiphany about himself and not died. This goes to one of the larger theories about the island being purgatory, considering that when a character comes to a realization about themselves, they die very soon after. It was true of Shannon, Ana Lucia, and Charlie, and to a certain extent Eko. Sayid has come to the realization that he is a torturer, and as much as he wants to leave that part of his life behind him, the island has not let him. Because these skills have come in useful in the mentality of this land, he hasn't been able to give it up--- witness 'Henry Gale'. The one thing that stops him from being a cold-blooded killer is the fact that he is very passionate, and loves deeply and completely, usually to the detriment of himself..

In 'The Economist' we see that even though he will make it off the island, he will not be able to shed his killer mentality. Just like before, he's become a cold-blooded assassin, only unlike his time in the Republican Guard or on the island, we don't know why he's killing. He has no problem going after Elsa in the biggest part of his flashforward, but he doesn't seem to notice that she's conning him right back. The second she begins talking about love, he gets all doe-eyed again, and for his trouble he nearly gets killed. The scene in which he shoots Elsa sums up his dual nature about as well as anything else we've seen on the show --- he recovers from the sudden attack, distracts her and shoots her twice. Then he walks over to her, holds her, and closes her eyes. His heart keeps getting in his way.

We learn a couple of more secrets while we're on the island. Frank tells Sayid he will fly him back if he rescues Charlotte from Locke's people. Sayid once again takes charge, and brings Miles and Kate back with him to the barracks. He then points out that none of these freighter folk seem particularly attached to each other, or interested in helping the people on the island. But he runs up against a stone wall when Miles refuses to give answers
    What they don't know is Locke's leadership is a lot shakier than he'd let on. He is unable to find the cabin, and get instructions, and though he tries to shrug it off, it's clear that he's shaken by it. He manages to regroup in order to pull off a mini-con of his own, this time using Hurley, the one castaway who seems unable to tell a lie. But it turns out even Hurley is capable of lying when it comes to preserving his own interests. And speaking of self-interest, Kate seems more than willing to go back to the bunkers in order to protect her. She has a long conversation with Sawyer, in which he finally reminds her that the only thing she has to look forward to on the mainland is a long prison term (Turns out she doesn't, but then James doesn't have the flashforwards.) It's an interesting reversal--- Sawyer, who made the biggest effort to leave during season 1, now has no interest in doing so, and Kate is going on even though supposedly she has nothing to look forward to bur a life in an orange jumpsuit.

This episode also provided a couple of bigger shocks in relating to time. Daniel--- who seems a little more together, but still hyper active-- runs an experiment in which he tries to get a payload to their destination. The payload does make its target, but when it does show up, it's half an hour behind the real island. Is the island somehow held in some kind of time warp? This would seem a real possibility. After all, Miles had a picture of Ben that he shouldn't have been able to get if he never left the island. And now it seems that, just like Richard, he's been leaving the island at will for years, and there's a very real possibility that he's time-traveling to do it. Does this have something to do with the electromagnetic energy we know pervades the island? We're going to start getting some pretty big hints that this is more than possible.

Of course, the biggest shock of all comes in the episodes final minutes. Sayid returns with Charlotte, having traded her for Miles. Locke seems more than willing to make a deal when he thought Sayid was acting in the island best interest rather than leaving. Kate decides to stay behind for reasons of her own (we'll find them out in the next episode) And even though Sayid kind of cheating, Frank is more than willing to leave Miles behind--- clearly he can't stand the man's sniping either. He agrees to take Desmond as well, even though he tells him point blank that he's never met Penelope. As they take off, there's the kind of soaring music that would seem to indicate that Sayid has left it all behind. But then he goes to a vet's to get his bullet wounded treat--- and we meet his boss, Ben. Even though he clearly says that "the day I start trusting him is the day I sell my soul", one may remember that maybe Sayid has been battered enough by life to feel that he no longer has a soul to sell. Now there's another list, and he's more than willing to serve Ben. He says he doing it to protect his friends, which is doubly ironic considering how determined Ben was to keep them down on the island. Ben is still a master manipulator, whether tied up in a game room, or talking casually about the death of the woman who Sayid loved, even if that love was fraudulent on both sides. It seems that Sayid, like Jack and Hurley, can not leave the island behind.

Any episode that features Naveen Andrews in the lead is always encouraging, because he seems to be the one shrouded in darkness. He is more than up the task in this episode. Ken Leung continues to demonstrate his general snarkiness when dealing with, well, everybody (after he degrades Hurley, he responds by saying : "Great. They sent us another Sawyer." And there are some very intriguing possibilities raises by this episode, yet this episode doesn't seem quite as engaging when its away from Sayid. We do, however, get the sense that even though he's tied up, Ben is still somehow calling the shots, but this doesn't surprise us either. It's also hard to understand why Daniel and Charlotte seem so determined to stay behind, but we won't figure that out for awhile. We seem to be moving forward when the chopper takes off, but soon we're going to find out that this island makes it hard for anybody to come and go. We're about to get a real idea of what that means.
    My score: 8.5
  • The FF Stole the HighLights of this episode.

Plot Details/Objective -» Even with so few episodes for this season that will air, is funny that the writers continue to build the Island plot delaying the best material for later. The attack that the Island will suffer will only happens in episodes 7-9. This means that until there, the tension will be low, which some themes there were left incomplete in season 3, like Sun affair, more of Juliet past etc. This time was about buying time doing a exchange. Only Sayid Flash Forward´s bring news and some are shocking.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sayid Flash Forward´s Scenes. Didn´t liked the Island scenes, not all, but they dragged and tried to buy time, when they could just take off.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Shocking, will catch you by surprise.

Complication Phase -»(5/10). This time was more weaker, was all about a exchange, so there is no a spectacular complication, just a conversation and a Exchange occurs. Sayid mission in the Flash Forward´s seemed to be a simple one.

Climax -»(7/10). Strong, but just because of the climax provided by the Sayid flash Forward´s.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s guaranteed a shocking ending, with a Hint too.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). What made this episode interesting was Sayid Flash Forward´s, since the event of the Island wasn´t enough. There are 3 Surprises/shocks that will change your mind and make you love this.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). The event in the Island is weak, only little interesting, but still, is weaker. So, I notice many scenes there just to slow the episode. There was a scene on the Flash Forward´s that was not necessary too.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Good enough to entertain you.
    Action /Adventure -» (5/10). Don´t Expect anything good and spectacular, very simple.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). If there was any type of that, only Sawyer and Kate reunion, which is old. Sayid and is girlfriend love emotions was nice to see, but nothing very sad here.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Didn´t Notice where it was, but Sayid gunshot simple fight was not that bad.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s did the job. The Island event not.

Surprise/Twists /Thoughts Changer -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s can trick you, almost guaranteed.

Lost continues to buy time, but this time you can notice more than ever. It is normal, since the best material is saved for later, when the rescue plot will reach is climax. Also, the writers are relying in the Flash forward´s that is why that they guarantee that you will be shocked with some 2 or 3 scenes.
  • Season 4 delivers its first major shock at the very end. Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesn't compliment it.

"The Economist" was one of those episodes where when the credits rolled I thought that I should give this a higher rating. Was this because of the shock ending? Yes. And what a shock ending it was, easily in my Top 10 Shock Endings (Yes, I have a Top 10, how sad!). But, on reflection, after, I wasn't that impressed. I found it a little slow and uneventful, especially on island, and for a Sayid episode, I found this to be surprising. His last two were "One of Them" and "Enter 77", which were highlights of their season. This felt a little flat, especially after the thrill ride that was "Confirmed Dead". The problem with that episode was that there was too much going on and this episode falters because there's not enough. Alot of the island action is watching our characters moving from one location to another. The best part of the island story was Faraday's experiment, which was the big hot topic of the episode, second to the flashforward. This scene confirmed that there is a time delay on the island, as apoosed to off it. Watching Sayid and Desmond leave on the helicopter provided some good island scenery, the like of which we hadn't previously seen and gave a chance for Michael Giacchino to show off his beautiful score.
    Other than that there wasn't much to report. People are moving into position for the next development and so in that respect this episode is largely transitional. There are not many episodes where the off-island plot thread is better than the on-island plot thread, but in this case "The Economist" is one of those. The flashforward was full of shocks, and made the island story seem largely uneccesary, that it would have been no sin to have the whole episode off island. Shock one was when Sayid plays Golf with a guy, who his shoots after losing a wager with. Not only do we learn that Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six, but that he is a professional assassin of sorts. As the flashforwards continue we realise that Sayid is being ordered to complete an exterminating mission to those that may have had ties with the Freighter folk. In "The Beginning of the End" Hurley was fearful of Matthew Abaddon in the mental institution. It seems that he could be one of the men on Sayid's list of names that he has to kill. But who is ordering Sayid to do this dirty work. None other than our favourite "Other" Benjamin Linus!
    The reveal is superbly done and is perhaps the least thing you'd expect, especially considering the two character's previous history. I mean, after all, Sayid was the first one to confront him and lay a hand on him. People wonder what could have possessed Sayid to work for Ben, but you could also wonder why on earth would Ben take Sayid under his wing, considering his hatred of him. It seems obvious that the freighter people were trouble and caused some tragic deaths to some of the survivors on the island, prevented some from leaving and made everyone that did get rescued feeling miserable and guilty. It is this guilt and remorse that has now taken hold of three of three of the Oceanic Six, Jack, Hurley and Sayid. Of those three, we still don't know if Sayid wants to or believes that he will return to the island but his murderous efforts maybe an attempt on providing some kind of opening to go back and rescue whoever got left behind. That is assuming that Sayid hadn't turned into a bad guy. Anything's possible now!!! Kate is the only one who, at this time, has turned a blind eye to the island's calling. Looking ahead to future episodes, this, on reflection, would seem initially surprising, as Sawyer, her loose island lover didn't make it off with her. Had the two had a major lover's tiff? Well, in the following episode that would turn out to be true but there may be more to why Kate is content to stay on the mainland, as we will discover. If I were to base my enjoyment of this episode on the flashforwards this episode would reach at least a 9, but the island story was hugely disappointing and it is Sayid's weakest episode since The Greater Good. Netheless, it was nowhere near a disaster and it steup some interesting developments for the future.
  • A Sayid-centric episode.

First off, let me start off by saying that I didn't like this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost which is mainly because Sayid has never been one of my most favorite characters on Lost. This episode was definitely still extremely exciting though. I can't believe that Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6! I was really shocked by that. Another thing that I didn't really like about this episode was just Locke in general. He has always annoyed me a lot, and he has never been a character that I like very much either. In the end, I decided to give this episode the score of nine for revealing Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 even though I didn't really love this episode that much.
  • Why does every episode of Lost give me about ten questions I need to be answered every single episode.

Sayid has flashforwards. He works for Ben now and he goes after certain people and kills them. His next target is a woman called Ilsa. She was tricking him for information and he was doing the same thing. Sayid falls inlove with Ilsa. When he tires to save her by getting her out of Berlin she shoots him but then he shoots her and she dies. What Sayid does in the future is very confusing. Why is he working for Ben ? Why is he killing those people ? Why do these people have a bracelet like Naomi wore when she was on the island ? Why did Ben ask Sayid if he wants to prtoect his friends ? So many questions. I liked Sayid's flashbacks. Very interesting !! Kate,Sayid and Miles search for Charlotte. They go to the the others's cabin. They find Hugo tied up. They untie Hugo and it turns out Hugo was tricking them when Locke enters and points a gun at Sayid. Sayid is put as a prisoner with Ben. Kate is help captive by Saywer. Sayid makes a deal with Locke. Sayid gives Locke Miles and he gets Charlotte. Charlotte is back to the crew and Frank,Desomond and Sayid are off the island. Also in this episode Dan discovers that there is a time difference between the island and the world. I didn't give this episode a nine or higher because it lacked excitement, it lacked action and it didn't have Sun,Jin,Alex and Karl and even though Claire was in it they didn't even act as if she was part of the cast. Claire really needs more screen time. Favoite character from this episode : Sayid !!! He just keeps getting more mysterious. Best looking character from this episode : Sayid !!! What my friends think of this episode : "Not bad " , " great " , "it was alright ". Can't wait to see the next episode !! Good stuff !!
  • Very confusing...

There are flashfowards of Sayid. He is working for Ben. He gets attached to a woman, but he is using her to get to her boss. Both were tricking each other and he kills her.

Sayid wants to go to the ship. Frank will take him if he brings Charlotte back. He, Kate and Miles go to the barracks to find Locke's party. He makes a trade: Charlotte for Miles and Kate. Juliet brings Desmond up and he wants to go to the ship too. Frank takes him, Sayid, and Naomi's body. Daniel finds out that there is a time difference between the main world and the island.

This episode was really good! The flashfowards were confusing. I have no clue what is going on! Daniel is funny! This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10 from me!
  • i got confused at what happened to sayid in the flash forward.

this is sayid centric.

in this episode,first we saw sayid playing golf,and after someone talking to him,we knew that it is a flash forward episode.

sayid said that he was a survivor of oceanic 815 and suddenly he shot the guy!so,what sayid's real job?is he became an assassin or something like that?

and after that,we saw sayid has a new target,a girl named elsa.
    at first i felt so weird to saw sayid as a cassanova guy who just flirting with some girl. (probably because i love of what happened before when he's dating shannon)
    and then sayid learn that he must kill that woman.

and for the climax of the episode,we saw that it was ben who sent sayid to kill the people!!

okay,i was shock for a minute,but i'm sorry for everyone who love this episode,but i don't think this was the best sayid episode.
    this episode was okay for me!
  • great episode

One of the supposed rescuers Charlotte land on a river. When she gets out of the water, she's surrounded by the oceanic survivors. Locke decides to take her hostage. Sayid goes to the barracks hoping to negotiate with Locke for Charlotte. Sayid trades another rescuer for the swap. It's a really awesome episode, the writers came up with another cool episode to continue the drama. The flash forwards are really cool, they expand the show's universe. It gives the show a lot more depth. The new characters especially frank are really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode. The storyline is so cool.
  • Is Ben a veterinary!?

So at first i did not think that this episode was going to be so interesting since i did not have much expectations about a Sayid center episode...and to be honest i did not think that the episode was very interesting except for it's end.

Sayid goes with Kate and Miles to check on Lockes camp, and meanwhile we see some flashforwards which confirm that Sayid is indeed one of the Oceanic 6 survivors. Apparently he as found a new job besides torture. Now i believe that most of the flashforward sequences are pointless and if it was not for the last sequence which indeed leaves us wondering about what will happen in the future that will make Sayid do what he does.

Also in the present time we finally see Sayid and Desmond leaving the island towards the boat from which Daniel and the others came from.

So bottom line in my opinion, you could just skip the begining and middle of this episode and move straight to the end, because that's the interesting part about it.
  • What is going on? Future again....where is the real LOST occurring. What time domain is it?

Daniel a new character and a physicist, seems to discover a new reality about the Island. We can consider it as an unveiling secret of the Island. Daniel found the time difference among the timers which well defines that there is some really strange going on that Island. Mean while, Saeed in the future seems to be hit man for the same company for whom every one works. Saeed and his boss are trying to save something, which I believe is the Island and their inhabitants. They have something new about the Island and the writers are trying to give more details to it with great suspense and thrill.
  • Sayid: Naomi, were you close to her? Miles: Nope. Met her on the boat. Sayid: You don't seem particularly affected by her death. Miles: Sure I'm affected. She was hot and I dug her accent. Kate: Nice.

Locke's hostage may be the key to getting off the island, so Sayid and Kate go in search of their fellow castaway in an attempt to negotiate a peaceful deal. Lost season 4 is going strong, The Economist was a brilliant episode, probable Sayid's best centric episode yet, The ending was superb, I like that some people have left hope we see them on the island again, Dan was great in this episode hes is really funny and nervous and I'm also begining to like Frank he seems cool. I can't wait to see Eggtown, wonder what it is about. The Economist gets a 9.7 out of 10
  • more stupid spoilfowards. the only good thing about it was seeing sayid's long luxurious hair. he must have been glad to use conditioner again once he left the island! ;)

6.3
    despite the spoilforard there were a bunch of good things in this episode: it's great to see little things like jack's face when he says "because sawyer won't let him" to kate when she asks how jack knows locke won't throw a knife in to her, as she goes with sayid to the others camp. i was tricked when hurley pretended to be left behind, so that was good. it's great to see locke be in charge finally. (of course he should have realized that with all those people around he wouldn't find jacob's cabin.) it was also great when kate asked sawyer how long they could play house & he goes "why don't we find out"? it was romantic really & showed how, now that he killed locke's dad, he can see a future for himself. unlike kate, he's finally ready for taco night. & more importantly, he realizes that back in america they are both criminals. sawyer was right when he asked kate why she wanted to leave the island. of course, he sounded like ben did when he was arguing with jack! lol. the trade for charlotte was great. they really did a good job of making miles unlikable. the problem with these spoilfowards is that they aren't helping at all & just ruining the island scenes. now we know that sayid is 1 of the 6. great. so much 4 putting him in danger now. of course, now it seems that the 6 will be returning to the island. so there's comfort in that. the twist ending & the bracelet that naomi & elsa wore just create new questions for the law&order fans who don't understand this show. i'm more concernced with the time difference on the clocks.
  • The flash forwards were great and teasing, but the island story made me feel reticent to give this episode higher rating.

So basically the flash forward was the most part this episode had going for it, which I actually really appreciated. The fourth member of the Oceanic Six has finally been officially revealed and I'm not saying I'm rally too fond of this character being part of the group. His part flashbacks weren't exactlly the most enticing when put side-by-side with Kate's or Jack's or Desmond's, but I guess after watching this episode, I felt a little ease on how they might play Sayid as one of the Oceanic Six and even if I don't understand much of what was actually happening, hey, well, that's Lost for you.
  • An episode giving us a look at some more of the Oceanic 6 as well as a glimpse at what they're doing in the future. There are some great cliffhangers and some very important storyline developments. One of the top 2 episodes this season.

7.8
    Almost all episodes of LOST are revealing, but this episode gives us a glimpse of what Sayid in the future. This future is very interesting in that it seems he has become a very deceptive and harmful person again. He seems to be hunting people down, methodically, and calling himself a headhunter. He seems to have a boss, calling the shots, but it is not completely clear who until the end of this episode. Unfortunately this leaves many new questions unanswered: who is he killing, why is he killing them, and what do they have in common. Also, one of his targets doesn't recognize him until he introduces himself, at which point the target becomes very worried. It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds; what the connections are between these people.
  • On the island, we get deeper into the action of the last two episodes and off the island, Sayid shows us a different side of him. An interesting an informative episode.

There is not that much happening on the island, except of an experiment Daniel is doing that is worth talking about in a reivew, but the dialog is interesting and we get more information about things that happened in the last two episodes.
    The Flash-Forward is far more interesting this time. Sayid seems to be an assassin in his life after the island. The flash-forward episodes are exactly what LOST needed at this point. With a few excetions, we know enough about the past of the survivors. But after the season finale of season 3, everyone wants to know who is getting off the island and what happened to them. The way the FFs are done is brilliant. They tease us, get us exicted about what will happen soon but don't give away too much.

If LOST keeps on building tension like this, we will get a big bang around Mid-Season. This might be the biggest year for LOST.
  • The island story is flat-out boring and it almost feels to be filling in until the shows the next flash-forward.

7.4
    I'm not sure how I feel about flashfowards. On one hand, if they are used correctly, they give insight into the life of future surviors and can be very emotional. On the other hand their's "The Econimist." This episode abuses the power of flashforwards, by having a island story that has little to do with the overall picture of Lost. It practically depends on the flashforwards to fill in the rest. The flahforward is well put together however, and the end scene is particuraly OMG! worthy, but the island story really didn't do it for me. Hopefully the producers can focus mre on the island story for the next episode.
  • the big word ' nothing' welcome to the world of lost were u dont know what the hell is goin on...........

4.9
    this episode was welll... kinda borin and nothin happened it has been my least favourite this series as not much was revealed and it isn't worth watching again. the best episode so far before this one has been the priemre ' confirmed dead' hasnt been great either but atleast something happened! but the best part of this was the end was with sayid workin 4 ben i mean wtf? hopefully more will be revealed next time includin another member of oceanic 6 and a cliffhanger/ shocker at the end of the episode that is what i look most forward to now!!
  • Sayid,man o' the episode!!!

I just LOVE Sayid oriented episodes...In my opinion this is the most fascinating character in "Lost" TV show...This is mainly because he's life is full of adventured,from being a military in charge of torture in Iraq to a future Hitman...He's smart,having a lot of vision,but he's also prey to human weaknesses...He's not only a good executioner but also very intelligent.
    I find,season 4 of "Lost" as very interesting, because the story advances,and also some serious changes happen...From flashes of main characters past to their future...This means one of two things:Either it shows what really happen,or its only something that "may" happen.
    As a fan of "Alias" I can see "J.J. Abrams" involvement here,with all the unexpected turn of event.
    I think this is gonna be the best season,because with this break they had time to improve the scenario I'm sure,and make it more exciting.
  • Possibly the best Sayid episode yet!

Only three episodes in, and already the conflict between the freighties, Team Jack and The Others 2.0 is escalating rapidly. In addition, the flash-forwards continue to be a valuable asset, introducing a new layer to the Oceanic Six saga. Again the confidence the writers have now permeates through. Knowing the end date really helps these reveals, as it feels like its building to something rather than keeping the balls in the air until the series is unprofitable.

While Jack and Hurley were able to return to their lives, at least until their consciences caught up with them, Sayid turned into an international man of mystery gunning down people on Ben's list. This could've been a problem, as a high profile celebrity like one of the Oceanic Six would make a tough secret assassin, but it works thanks to Naveen Andrew's conflicted performance and the mysterious reasons for why he is doing this.

The big reveal is worth of a lot of discussion and speculation. Sayid and Ben have had a tumultuous relationship since they first met in "One of Them" (also a Sayid episode). That events from the present on the island to the flash-forward would make Sayid "sell [his] soul" and side with Ben is unbelievable. It can be simply that the mutual enemy of the freighties' employer forges this alliance, but more has to be in store for this mystery.

Then we have the foreshadowing with Ben's remark about the last time Sayid thought "with [his] heart rather than [his] gun". Although Sayid regrets his violent past, he's been willing to return to it for the sake of what he considers the greater good. This seems to hint at a moment where violence didn't seem necessary, but his non involvement resulted in grave consequences for the survivors.

Sayid's character has been haunted by the actions he committed in the Republican Guard. Torturing Sawyer for ultimately no good reason early in season one made him temporarily vacate in self-imposed exile. In the flash forward he's cornered where his only option is to kill the people Ben selects. Naveen Andrews described Sayid in the future as cold, which is necessary for a hit man. That doesn't work when he meets and grows feelings for Elsa, the contact of the episode's namesake. It should be noted that Elsa is a similar physical type to Shannon, albeit not as bratty. Their courtship, and Sayid's killing of her, shows that duality is alive within Sayid.

His friends, whether they're on island or not, are the hostages. Previous flash-forwards have shown that those who sent the freighties are now scrutinizing the Oceanic Six to make sure they don't reveal what really happened. However, Sayid and Ben have turned the tables on them. Now why Sayid's on the offensive to protect his friends while Jack and Hurley remain quiet still isn't clear, but it's a mouthwatering mystery that appears to be center to the season's story.

Hurley's flash-forward took place before Jack's, but Sayid's has no clear point in the timeline. Presumably this is later, as those from the island are taking the conflict to a new level. It's possible that it'll never be completely clear, but it seems as if some time has passed since the "rescue". It'll be interesting to see how Jack tries to contact Sayid regarding returning to the island.

In the parallel storylines, Sayid pays respect to deceased women and finds a bracelet on them. The bracelet both Naomi and Elsa have is a tell tale connection between the two, likely romantic or familial to one of the higher ranking people on the freighter, but is a classic element thrown in simply to get people talking before delving into it later.

Ben's hidden closet shouldn't come as a big surprise. As he lied about living there his whole life, his drawers full of passports and various currencies show he's traveled around the world similar to Ethan and Richard. Some believe this adds credence to the theory that Ben is the one in the coffin, as one of his aliases could be on the news clipping Jack had. One interesting theory is that Jack's despondency was over losing that access back to the island. I doubt that, but it isn't too far fetched. Can Ben get back? If he can't, is that why he sent Sayid to dispatch those who made it be?

Another possibly important reveal was the time difference between Daniel's on island clock and the one Regina sends in the payload. Time moving differently on the island has been theorized for some time. It could help explain various aspects from the current date on island (Christmas Eve 2004) and the present to how the writers will deal with Malcolm David Kelly's pubescence. Even Jack asking Frank about the Red Sox could add to the time discrepancy theory, since the Red Sox won another World Series last year.

Then there is the subject of bearing. Daniel's emphasis on Frank maintaining a specific bearing recalls Ben's insistence that Michael, who is the front runner for who Ben's inside man is, keep the boat on a bearing of 325 degrees. This could be the only way off the island, but what is keeping the island "protected" and what happens if that bearing isn't followed?

It's interesting that of the freighties, Miles is the only one interested in getting Ben. Otherwise they all have different motivations: Daniel wants to learn more about the anomalies of the island. Frank wants to learn about the survivors presumably. Charlotte must want to learn more about Dharma and the crash itself, plus the four toed statue would be a major find for her. None of the freighties have any idea what Naomi was doing with Desmond's photo, so the freighties on the freighter have an agenda those on island are unaware of.

Team Locke experiences its second major problem when Jacob's cabin fails to appear. It's a similar disappointment to the one Locke felt early in season two when he didn't get the answers he expected from the hatch. Jacob's cabin not appearing could be simply punishment because Locke failed in his mission to prevent Jack from contacting the boat, or it may be another reason altogether. This compounds the weird feelings some of them felt when Locke said Walt was one of his guides for leadership. Ben of course jumps at the opportunity to pick at Locke's wounded pride and soon some dissent arises over what they should do with Charlotte.

For now it seems like that was meant to mislead us into believing that Hurley was left behind so that the surprise ambush would be a shocking twist. Luckily for Hurley, he's earned so much goodwill among the viewers that tricking Kate and Sayid hardly dented his reputation, although it is telling as far as where relationships between Team Jack and The Others 2.0.

Last episode Ben tried to rile Sawyer by remarking that Kate and he wouldn't have a chance in the real world since Jack is a more dignified choice. Now we see more of that psychology when Sawyer confronts Kate at Ben's home. Neither of these two have much to look forward to: Kate was being extradited to the US and at some point Sawyer became a high profile suspect in the murder of the man he believed was the real Sawyer.

What was really interesting about their scenes was Sawyer's entry to the room with Kate hiding under the bed mirrored Sawyer's flashback in "Outlaws" where his father walked into the bed and shortly afterward killed himself. A lot has been made about the irony of Sawyer becoming the man he hated growing up, but setting up the shot that way may set up some of the more self destructive elements Sawyer's exhibited lately.

The mystery established for what has happened between these flash forwards and current island time is as good as what the flashbacks originally did (and still does for newer characters). This episode introduces more elements to the mystery of the future, with a change in dynamics that should be interesting to see come into fruition.
  • Desmond and Sayid leaving the island on the helicopter, possibly my favourite LOST scene ever. Overall a superb episode with a shocker of an ending.

I'll start by discussing the events off the Island: Sayid's Flash Forward.
    The flash forwards were pretty dam good in my opinion, the first scene at the golf course has to be amongst Sayid's best scenes, when he shoots "Mr Avellino" and walks away and the sprinkler system comes on it feels like an exquisit and very artistic shot in the way it has been done.
    What Sayid says seems slightly chilling in this scene, in a way: Mr Avallino: What do you do for a living?
    Sayid: I do nothing.
    It kind of hits you at this moment that something isn't quite right and that theory proves correct moments later.

It was obvious that Sayid meant to meet up with Elsa in the coffee shop and the events following were a set up to gain information, I was even shocked by Sayid being double crossed by her, I did not see that coming when he got shot.
    The lurking question is who is The Economist she worked for? there are all sorts of theories circulating around the internet from Sun's dad to Charles Widmore, I wouldn't put it passed the writers if one of these was actually true.

The final revelation came in the closing moments when we found out that Ben not only got off the island, but that Sayid works for him!
    Ben utters some words that give us a taste of whats to come "remember what happened the last time you thought with your heart instead of your gun?" and "do you want to protect your friends or not?"

The on-island events were also incredibly revealing and interesting.
    We now have confirmation that some sort of time distortion exisits on the island in some shape or form, the exact nature of this im sure will be revealed at another time, maybe in Desmond's episode?

Sayid stumbled upon Ben's secret closet of joy! A room full of various suits, shirts and outfits and drawers full of different passports and currency!
    Surely this means Ben has been able to travel to and from the island for many years and with great ease it would seem.

Something else that a lot of people seem to have missed, probably because so much else happened is that clearly "Team Freighter" know exactly who Penelope Widmore is judging by their reactions when Desmond asked them, seeing as she knew nothing about the boat it makes me think again of her father...

The final on-island scene when Sayid and Desmond left the island was in one word "Beautiful", the music was sublime and the shots as the helipcopter took off and left and flew away from the island were tear-jerkingly good! Keeping in mind this is the first time we see people leave the island with real hope this time of finding rescue, the other times were the raft in season 1 and Michael's departure in season 2.

The fast paced season continues with events being propelled forward at a rate never expected by not even myself!
  • OK episode, great ending

7.8
    Of the season 4 episodes we have been treated to so far I found this the least enjoyable. That is by no means to say that it was not good, the other episodes have just been exceptional. It is Sayid-centric and follows him, post-island, as he befriends the ill-fated Elsa whose mysterious employer - an economist by profession - is of great interest to Sayid or rather, the man Sayid is working for.

Of all our island-dwelling Losties I find myself drawn to Sayid the least. The lack of empathy for him may be down to our differences in culture, character or even gender but I find myself less absorbed by his flash-backs and now his flashforwards. The storyline was sound. I liked the building of tension caused by the persistent and cryptic references to the eponymous 'Economist' and suspicious phone calls. I did, however, find the chemsitry between Sayid and his unfortunate female aquaintance a little unbelievable putting it down to a general lack of chemistry. On a positive note this episode was rescued by an amazing final scene which left my head (adorned with jaunty 'I Love Lost'cap) spinning.
  • Very good script, one of the best yet

The Economist" is not as frantically paced as the last two episodes in this season, and at first look doesn't quite reveal as much. At first look. The more I think about this episode the more I realize that this season is possibly the first to begin revealing little by little part of the overall story at work here. Season Four's seasonal arc, with the addition of flashforwards, appears to be more directly related to the bigger mythology of the series than any season arc before it. I'm very excited to say the least.

In this episode's island events Sayid engineers a trade with Locke, giving him Miles in exchange for Charlotte, Kate chooses to stay at the Barracks with Sawyer, leaving Jack miserable, Daniel tries an experiment which adds to suggestions of a time warp, and most importantly: Sayid happens upon Ben's stash of passports and clothing, presumably used for his trips off the island.

This episode was a Sayid flashforward, and though not especially revealing with regard to his character, it was certainly interesting, even before the shocking ending this episode had. Sayid is, and I'm assuming you've seen the episode if you read past the spoiler warnings, working for Ben. Yes, none other than Benjamin Linus. Here's what interested me most: this basically changes the concept that Ben is 'the island guy' by informing us that he has not only left the island, but that he appears to be working within a much larger scheme of things. The reveal that Sayid is working essentially as a hit-man in Ben's service is not just interesting in itself, it's also interesting in that it appears that Sayid is doing it in exchange for protection of his 'friends'. I'm assuming this means the Oceanic Six and those on the island, but it's entirely possible it's something we haven't seen yet.

Is Ben working in opposition to Abbadon? Which group are the bad and which are the good? Is it really that clear-cut? I don't think it is. I think good and bad are becoming far, far more ambiguous as this show moves forward.

All in all: another exceptional episode of the series and more indication that LOST is moving forward in a far more confident manner than it has ever done before. Kudos to the writers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, this is their best script to date.

Stay Lost!
  • More Garbage

1.2
    After 4 seasons on Fantasy Island and now the beginning of another crappy one, these people still can't act. The acting is so bad, I thought I was watching Three's Company except funnier. Why don't they put the ghost of Don Knotts on this show to upgrade the caliber of actors. Do I really care about Kate and her troubles with the law? Seasons 1, 2, and 3. We get it. She's a criminal with a big gap in her front teeth. The only character that's remotely interesting is the Iraqi and maybe Ben. And enough of the Korean chick. She's horrible and needs to go back to low budget Korean TV. This is American TV, where we tolerate bad acting but not this bad.
  • Some *SPOILERS*. The plot thickens. The best show so far this season.

What is amazing and unique to the "Lost" franchise is how they can reveal so much and in the end you end up with more questions than answers.

This "flash forward" episode was centered on Sayid. From the first scene we learn that Sayid is one of the "Oceanic 6". It gives us a look at Sayid from many different angles. It shows Sayid as a character full of contradictions. He is passionate and ruthless with his lover in Germany; he conceives and executes a plan to rescue Charlotte from Locke, but he still falls into Locke's trap. This episode made me question Sayid's core motivations. Is he good? Is he bad?

I really enjoyed the twist at the end. The storytellers are taking you one way. The clues seem to be telling you that "The Economist" who Sayid is hunting is Ben. But the end made me wonder, "IS Ben one of the good guys?"
  • A superb Sayid-centric episode.

Lately, I have been appreciating Sayid more and more, in seasons 1 and 2 and maybe even 3 his flashbacks weren't pulling it off for me, but this flash forward was pretty solid. Things are going slow on the island, they have traded off that blonde girl for Kate... the flash forward was amazing. The beggining was essential, the way the guy sounded so shocked and scared when Sayid said who he was, and then Sayid just shot him like that. And then he had the relationship with that girl, it's like one of those movies where the two assasians marry each other. But anyway, it seemed like Sayid sort of liked that girl, but still shot and killed her anyway. The ending was just... ugh! Huge plot mystery and cliffhanger. What is going on between Sayid and Ben now!?
  • The fast-paced story-telling of this season speeds up and a sense of dread and paranoia overpower the hope of rescue.

Episodes focusing on Sayid have always featured a sense of dread and paranoia. Nothing is what it seems and the audience is hesitant, much like Sayid, to make too much out of good fortune. Sayid's departure from the island provides us with some of the widest shot footage of the island to date. It is, in every sense of the word, a "big picture" moment for the series. Yet, Sayid is leaving the island, at least in part, to undertake the mission of investigating the freighter and the people on it for Jack and the other survivors. His plan is intelligent to the extent that it gets him off the island. To the extent that now that he is off, he has no viable means of communicating with anyone on the island. And judging by the flawhforwards of Jack and Hurley and the Desmond's comments in the season 2 finale, Sayid is not likely to return to the island in the present. One of the highlights of this episode feature 3 of the best manipulators on the island - Sayid, Locke and Ben. Sitting in a room together for a few moments, a lot happened. Sayid appealed to Locke's logic and his interests. Ben planted a foundation for Sayid's future betrayal. It also begs a lot of questions. What did Locke receive in exchange for Charlotte? Miles was already Locke's captive. Whatever else Locke received, does Ben know about it? Did Ben and Sayid's future relationship begin in this room? This brings us to the biggest question from this episode - what does Ben hope to accomplish in the flash forward? He makes the statement that Sayid wants to protect his friends. This seems consistent with Hurley refusing to talk to Abbadon in the premiere; the Oceanic 6 are lying to protect their "friends" who remain on the island. Until this episode, the audience was left to wonder who was left to warrant protecting and why were the likes of Jack and Hurley protecting them? Now there is a major new wrinkle to those questions - what is Ben's interest in protecting them? Ben's interest may be in protecting the island as a whole. Perhaps he is acting on new orders from Jacob or even Locke. But at first glance, it does not seem consistent with his immediate present conflict with Locke.

The other highlight of the episode is the Sawyer/Kate scene in the bedroom in which many have submitted that he "proposed." Sawyer has definitely come along since "The Brig." He recognizes that his future on the island is brighter than his future off it. He is still in a dark place but now sees hope. He also sees that this is even more obvious for Kate than himself. This is not so obvious to Kate for some reason. His gesture of awakening her to this is a call to who he sees as his soul mate. Kate's eventual departure from the island tells us that either she was an idiot or she made a very logical calculated decision. Despite some of Kate's tendencies, the second option is most likely. If she learns that she is pregnant with Sawyer's child, she likely chooses to leave at the last minute but Sawyer does not find out until it is too late to stop her. This explains her vehemence in refusing future Jack's assertions that they have to go back. If the Oceanic 6 are truly protecting those that are still on the island, it seems that Jack will be the one who is most reckless in endangering them and that Kate is the most reluctant. If she knows she is protecting Sawyer, she is likely to be content at punishing herself and protecting Sawyer. This episode confused some of the plotlines that seemed to be coming together after "Through the Looking Glass" "The Beginning of the End" and "Confirmed Dead." But this is a welcome confusion at this stage of the game since we are just over halfway through the overall narrative.
  • Another good solid episode but for me a dissapointing ending. *slight spoiler for next episode*

Sayid..... great character pleased the writers have shifted him back into the front line after leaving him in the dark last season. Brilliant flash foward very actioned packed which i like, but minutes before actually seeing his boss 'Ben' id already clicked with Sayid saying to John: Forgive me but the day i start trusting him is the day i would of sold my soul', i thought that was obvious lookout for clues lost always gives little clues just beofore you find out an answer.

Not alot of development on the island to be fair part from desmond frank and sayid flying off to the boat, which i bet you dont see any of them until 2 episodes time, with 'eggtown' being a kate centirc episode. Dan aswell i think theres alot more to him then he makes out. A dark side.

Lots of questions again surrounding Ben: Passports? Money? Hows he got off the island? Whys sayid working for him as a hitman? etc etc Leaving the many fans out there screaming for more. Alround a great episode not as good as the last episode but all the same very good!
  • For Lost fans anyway, there's hardly a doubt in anyone's mind that Season 4 has kicked @ss so far. This episode just continues to prove that...

Let me start by saying I'm really glad that they gave Sayid his own episode this early on. I felt that Sayid had sort of been neglected last season but I think we're going to see him back in the action now. The new characters continue to surprise me, especially Dan's wierd little experiment. I'd have to say my favorite newbie so far is Lapidus, he seems the most likable out of them and the most down-to-earth. As far as plot goes, the storyline kept progressing at a smooth and speedy rate. The only problems I'm having now is that...I'm really sick of wondering who these freighter people are. I really hope that this gets answered soon, because as TPTB knows, being left in the dark is not much fun. But I have faith and I'm sure we'll be getting some serious answers in the next few eps.

Sayid's flashforwards were...wow, what were they? Something else, that's for sure. I have to admit, I thought the Elsa romance got a little dull at times but the ending conspiracy was definitely pivotal. Now I'm really curious as to where they're going with these flashforwards..and I also know that I can't wait to see more!

All in all, this was a very good episode, just like the previous two. Now that they've set the scene for Season 4, I'm hoping we'll get answers soon.
  • Sayid sold his soul (Spoilers)

I was really confused after the first time I saw "The Economist". A second look helped, but I still think it was probably the most confusing episode of Lost so far. I mean, they really wanted to mess with our heads with this one.

This episode, although not as good as the previous one, presented a ton of new mysteries. For every answer (Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6; he became a hitman after he left the island) there was about 100 new questions (how exactly the "time diference" on the island works? why Sayid became a hitman? Why he's working for Ben? and so on...). Nothing new if you watching it since the Pilot, but there was A LOT of new questions, more than the usual.

"The Economist" is a "slower" episode. The problem is the writers and the director couldn't disguise that very well. There is even a joke about those moments when nothing is happening: When Faraday asks Lapidus for the phone because "they were sitting there doing nothing". Maybe it was a good thing. I don't know if we could keep up with so many new information in a "action style" episode, but still it's something that bothers from time to time. Sayid's FF is really intriguing but finds it's best moment in the end. My only problem was Michael Emerson's attempt to disguise his voice until the revelation. From the moment Sayid enters the room and his boss start to talk, anyone can tell who it is. The conections between what happens in the island and the FF are great too (just like the best FB episodes): Is curious when you see Sayid, on island, asking Ben what does he know about friendship and saying he'll never trust Ben, and later in the episode you find out that Sayid is doing the exact opposite off the island. All in all, a very good episode that will keep people occupied, rewatching it or making new theories until the next one.
< 1 2 3