Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• great episode

One of the supposed rescuers Charlotte land on a river. When she gets out of the water, she's surrounded by the oceanic survivors. Locke decides to take her hostage. Sayid goes to the barracks hoping to negotiate with Locke for Charlotte. Sayid trades another rescuer for the swap. It's a really awesome episode, the writers came up with another cool episode to continue the drama. The flash forwards are really cool, they expand the show's universe. It gives the show a lot more depth. The new characters especially frank are really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode. The storyline is so cool.
  • A wonderful Sayid-centric episode

Another wonderful episode of season4,maybe the best season yet!
    Sayid's flashforward was so interesting and mysterious since we see that he follows orders from someone we don't know yet. But from who and why? He kills people who "stand on his way" and he searches for The economist,the rival who is behind from all these.
    On the island Sayid,Kate and Miles go to the barracks to find Locke and the rest in order to negotiate about Charlotte since Sayid made a deal with Frank to go bring her back. There, Locke's team fool them and captures them by setting Hurley as the "bait". Kate is with Sawyer where he ask her to stay with him on the island since their lives outside won't be pleasant. Miles is taken away somewhere while Sayid meets Ben. At last, Sayid and Locke come to an agreement and Charlotte goes back with Sayid while Kate and Miles stay behind for unknown reasons.
    Meanwhile Dan makes an experiment when he communicates with the freighter and discovers that the time on the island runs 31 minutes slower than off the island.
    When Sayid returns with Charlotte, Juliet brings Desmond with her back from the beach. Afterwards, Frank,Sayid,Desmond and Naomi's dead body departure with the helicopter for the freighter.
    Finally, in Sayid's flashforward we surprisingly discover that the man he was taking orders from is... BEN!
  • One more of the Oceanic 6 Confirmed

This episode is a must see. It's revealing and interesting from the start to the end, Ben leaves you wondering even more than normal what is going on and how he could possible know the people that arrived at the end of the last episode(one before this one) now in this episode nothing is cleared up about that but some more the future is revealed to be even more confusing. With the addition of Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 there is still questions as to who the others are. Two were previously confirmed Jack and Kate, Kate does say that she has to get back someone and if I remember correctly she says its Sawyer. So that would be 4 revealed, the future is looking pretty grim for the rest but stay tuned to find out what happens. Oh yea and I still HATE Miles(ghostbuster BIG MOUTH) but really like Frank(Burned out pilot).
  • The episode marks the End of "Lost" Part One!

In my opinion we saw "Lost" from day Zero and got fans of the story and the Two Main Questions were:

1- Will they ever going to get out of the island?

2- Wo will get out?

I know that we knew the answer to question 1 already, but this episode marks the 100% response mark to both questions.

We now know that 6 of them actually got out of the island and who they are: Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hugo, Ben and Sawyer.

So there it is, the questions are answered. Plot solved.

New stories came along and now everything can be written. Let's keep watching all the fun, and see How Will They Escape and Why The Other Survivors Don't!

So new questions are now written on the canvas:

1- Who are these freight people and what do they represent, and what's Penelope go to do with it?

2- What's with the Island stange occorrencies and every mistery that goes with it?

3- What will happen in the future's future :) Will Sayid get away with his job? Will Ben survive? Will Hugo stay in the hospice? Will Kate end up with Jack?
  • It seems to me that season four is going to happen between the others and the anti-others. But who are they?

It seems to me that season four is going to happen between the others and the anti-others who hired the freighter people. Our losties are already split between those two groups. The ones who want to stay on the island under leadership of Locke and those who want to leave the island, the oceanic six.
    Benjamin Linus, wanting to keep the island secret, has started a head hunting on the anti-others off the island. Sayid as forced assassin has already killed Mr. Avellino(the golfer) from the list and is after the economist. Mr. Abbadon who visited Hurley in the hospital, and who has put the freighter team together is working for the anti-others. But what is their mission and whom they are working for? Is there any connection to Penelope or her father Charles Widmore? Remember he was the manufacturer of pregnancy tests used by Sun, Kate and Rachel. Is this all about life and death, heaven or hell?
    Oh... I'm lost again in questions. So better wait for next episode, which I hope will reveal another person from the oceanic six. I hope to see Sawyer in Kate's flash forward episode...
  • Lost continues it's fast start with an interesting and revealing episode with a tremendous ending that was most shocking.

(Major Spoilers)

This Sayid-centric episode begins with him golfing in the Seychelles when he is approached by a stranger. They make a friendly bet which the stranger wins. The stranger gets highly freaked out when Sayid tells him he is a member of the Oceanic six, Sayid then shoots the horrified man, as it is his job. The flash-forward continues with Sayid on another assignment in Germany. His objective is a lovely blonde woman whom Sayid begins a relationship with, his job is to kill her employer, and her job is to get info from Sayid and to kill him. She wounds him and he kills her, and with his injury he goes to his boss to get stitched up. His boss is none other than...Benjamin Linus! Earlier in the episode Sayid says he would neve trust Ben, judging by their conversation, he doesn't trust him now, but he is working for him to protect his friends.

On the island, Sayid makes a deal with Frank that if he gets Charlotte back from Locke, Frank will take him to the freighter. Sayid leaves with Kate and Miles and is captured by Locke and Team after Locke used Hurley for bait. Sayid leaves Miles and Kate behind and takes Charlotte with him to keep his end of the bargain. Frank is not too upset with Miles being left behind and he states "Miles is a pain..." Sayid heads back to the freighter with Desmond and the Naomi's corpse.

Daniel conducts a science experiment seemingly aimed at measuring time. He sets up some gear and radios into the freighter to launch something. According to the person on the radio, the payload should've arrived, but it didn't. It does arrive...31 minutes later, thus proving some sort of time distortion.

This episode was great from start to finish, it had awesome acting, directing, dialogue, cinematography and the plot was very strong. Both the island story and the flash-forward were well done in all aspects. Terry O'Quinn put on a great display Locke's leadership and confusion when Jacob's cabin wasn't where it was supposed to be. Naveen Andrews stole the show with his amazing and diverse portrayal of Sayid. We saw many new sides to him tonight, intense, loving, sad, despairing, and focused. Whatever it is, it must be pretty serious to have him working for Ben.

The end was amazing, seeing the eerie face of Ben as he instructed Sayid was chilling and stunning. It was a great end to a great episode and will set up some major developments down the road. Lost has been stellar thus far and hopefully it will stay that way, with episodes like this, it won't be hard.
  • Keeping Up With The Pace Set In The Last Two Episodes

Last season people were complaining that things were moving too slow and nothing was happening, this season is the opposite and the show is definately moving forward now. Can't wait till next week or the week after that or the next week too, I'm glued to my seat every week, what an amazing show.

Flashforwards have given the series a new life, more twists and questions too but I'm used to that by now and love the show for all it's mysteries and mythology, not many other shows have stories that can compare to lost, just when you think you know what will happen something else happens that completely changes your mind.

Final words - Such a great episode as were the previous two.
  • I give up!

Ok, I am a huge Lost fan. I love the show. I love the characters. I have been always one to watch shows that has a bit of mystery to it & I try to figure it out before anything is revealed.

I have now officially given up trying to figure out where Lost is going. Last week I was majorly confused with the flashbacks of the new guys. This week? Sayid working for Ben? Killing a bunch of people probably to protect the other survivors? Huh? No pun intended...I'm officially lost watching Lost. Which is the way I like it.

Can't wait for next week.
  • A superb Sayid-centric episode.

Lately, I have been appreciating Sayid more and more, in seasons 1 and 2 and maybe even 3 his flashbacks weren't pulling it off for me, but this flash forward was pretty solid. Things are going slow on the island, they have traded off that blonde girl for Kate... the flash forward was amazing. The beggining was essential, the way the guy sounded so shocked and scared when Sayid said who he was, and then Sayid just shot him like that. And then he had the relationship with that girl, it's like one of those movies where the two assasians marry each other. But anyway, it seemed like Sayid sort of liked that girl, but still shot and killed her anyway. The ending was just... ugh! Huge plot mystery and cliffhanger. What is going on between Sayid and Ben now!?
  • We may be on for the best Lost season yet.

As the episode begins, Sayid investigates Naomi's dead body and discovers an inscribed bracelet. He makes a deal with Lapidus that he will return Charlotte to safety in exchange for a flight to the boat. Sayid flashes forward to a day on a golf course where he shoots a man. Later, he meets a girl named Elsa in a Berlin restaurant and asks her out to dinner. After leaving the restaurant, Sayid calls a mystery person, saying that he "made contact." Back on the island, Sayid tells Jack not to come with him to get Charlotte. He takes Kate and Miles. Locke's gang gets to the location where Jacob's cabin should be, but the building has mysteriously vanished, so he leads the group to the barracks. Hurley protests the holding of Charlotte, but Locke insists. At the helicopter, Faraday decides to do an experiment with a locating device. Through the experiment, he discovers that the island appears to be in a different time than the outside world - about 31 minutes different. Sayid, Kate, and Miles discover Hurley tied up in the barracks. They go to Ben's house and discover a secret room of Ben's, just before Locke and Sawyer burst in on them. It turns out they were set up, and Hurley was the trap. They lock Sayid up with Ben. Kate asks Sawyer why he doesn't want to get off the island, and he explains that there's nothing for him in the real world. He asks why she would want to go off the island when she knows she'll just get arrested anyway. Locke and Sayid talk, and Sayid trades Miles for Charlotte. In another flash forward, Sayid and Elsa are in bed together, professing their love. Sayid is about to share his secret with her when her pager goes off. Sayid tells her to leave Berlin. She figures out that Sayid used her to get to her boss, and he reveals his plans to kill the man. She pulls out a gun and shoots him in the chest. Then she calls someone and tells him that Sayid wouldn't give up the name of his boss. It appears she was using him as well. Sayid, still alive, reaches for his gun and kills her. She is wearing the same bracelet as Naomi. Back on the island Desmond asks Lapidus why Naomi had the picture of him and Penny. When he won't say, Desmond insists on going on the helicopter to the freighter with Sayid. Sayid returns with Charlotte and tells Jack that Kate decided to stay behind. While Lapidus prepares the helicopter, Faraday warns him that he needs to follow the exact same course when leaving the island. Lapidus, Sayid, Desmond, and Naomi's body leave on the helicopter. In the last flash forward, Sayid walks into a dog kennel to get his bullet removed. The man who is removing the bullet asks if Elsa is dead, and Sayid tells him that she is. The man, who also appears to be Sayid's boss, is Ben. Ben says that they're doing this to protect Sayid's friends. Ben has another person he needs eliminated, and he thinks Sayid is just the man for the job.
  • An incredible episode with a lot of sorprises coming of the sky (with a delay of 31 minutes) hahaha..

One big episode...a really big one.. When the people thinks that lost dont have much more life they do it again..Now we have a jason "sayid" Bourne, we have a Ben out of island fighting with another BOSS (could be the father of Sun) :o
    we have a problem with the island and the real world (look it the experiment of Dan)
    We have a Sayier looking for happyness hahaha
    We have to watch this episode again and then we will understand all the things.
    We have LOST AGAIN PEOPLE!!
    im from argentina, im sorry for my language if i dont speak 100% good.

Greetings from here!!
    NAMASTE!!!
    bye losties
  • It's good to see they took the criticism from last season and made some great corrections. An excellent, revealing, and meaningful episode. I am enjoying watching lost again!

We learn Syed is another of the Oceanic 6. We also see Ben got off the island also. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Also, Syed is now an assassin, going after some shadowy people for still yet unrevealed reasons. Syed dates a lady who is the assistant of one of his targets. However, in the end, she ends up dead. This is one of the few times I was as interested, or more interested in the flash (forward in this case) than the island. However, the island was very revealing, if only for one thing, the delivery of the payload. There is a 20 minute time distortion. I've always figured the island was out of sync with normal time but this confirmed it. I'm curious to see what happens when they get back to the ship. My only regret is I can't wish Ben dead anymore, since his fate has been determined. However, I also have no doubt that several others are still on the island. Lost is finally moving along at the pace similar to seasons 1 and 2. It is revealing just enough while still keeping us guessing. I am looking forward to the rest of the episodes!
  • An amazing episode, this season has really started in an excellent way.

Wow, that was amazing. Lost continues to deliver the good.
    A Sayid centric episode, about time. I felt he was terribly underused last season but now a flash forward and him being one of the oceanic 6, that`s fantastic.
    The opener is shocking. I know he was a soldier and has killed before but just killing the guy he was playing golf with was really unexpected.
    The drama on the island remains excellent. Questions continue to arise on the "rescuers" and Dan may have proved that time does not pass as it should on the island, which could mean a lot.
    Kate goes with Sayid and decides to stay there. We had two episodes of Kate and Jack and it was meh but this one Kate-sawyer scene proves how much chemistry there is between these two. Kate staying is totally logic. Why the hell would she want to leave island? Nobody is waiting for her there and she is a fugitive. But I would`t be surprised if she stayed undercover there.
    The flash forward had bunch of shocking events but THE ultimate shocking moment was the end of episode cliffhanger. You can`t beat Ben! one of the smartest guy of tv!
    I like the reflective camera view of the island when they were leaving in the helicopter. Great Desmond too is going, I don`t even know what to expect on that boat.
    Lost was always well written but IMO the writing of this show has never been better than now.
    Been a great TV week. Amazing prison break and Lost episode. :D
  • Sayid,man o' the episode!!!

I just LOVE Sayid oriented episodes...In my opinion this is the most fascinating character in "Lost" TV show...This is mainly because he's life is full of adventured,from being a military in charge of torture in Iraq to a future Hitman...He's smart,having a lot of vision,but he's also prey to human weaknesses...He's not only a good executioner but also very intelligent.
    I find,season 4 of "Lost" as very interesting, because the story advances,and also some serious changes happen...From flashes of main characters past to their future...This means one of two things:Either it shows what really happen,or its only something that "may" happen.
    As a fan of "Alias" I can see "J.J. Abrams" involvement here,with all the unexpected turn of event.
    I think this is gonna be the best season,because with this break they had time to improve the scenario I'm sure,and make it more exciting.
  • Sayid: Naomi, were you close to her? Miles: Nope. Met her on the boat. Sayid: You don't seem particularly affected by her death. Miles: Sure I'm affected. She was hot and I dug her accent. Kate: Nice.

Locke's hostage may be the key to getting off the island, so Sayid and Kate go in search of their fellow castaway in an attempt to negotiate a peaceful deal. Lost season 4 is going strong, The Economist was a brilliant episode, probable Sayid's best centric episode yet, The ending was superb, I like that some people have left hope we see them on the island again, Dan was great in this episode hes is really funny and nervous and I'm also begining to like Frank he seems cool. I can't wait to see Eggtown, wonder what it is about. The Economist gets a 9.7 out of 10.
  • did that just happen?

Wow! I'm in shock...the ending...wow...well, let's start at the beginning. Sayid, Miles, and Kate go try to get the female captive and Sayid negotiates her release. Therefore, he gets a spot of the helicopter, along with Desmond and the dead Naomi. Now the ending...WHAT! Sayid works for Ben in the future! He was working for him! WHAT! I'm shocked...Anyways, Sayid is my favorite character (and so is Desmond) it's interesting seeing his future. He's so interesting. I'm excited to see what happens next when he and Desmond go on the helicopter. Overall, great episode. This looks like it's going to be a great season.
  • I'm still in shock! They're going to give me a heart attack! What's going on??? *Spoilers*

This episode was reeealy great... so many things happened… from now I think I'll have to watch each episode three or four times in a row to get the whole of it!

From the very beginning with Sayid killing that unknown man, acting all spyish, with a secret boss, and missions…. The phrase "The day I start trusting Ben will be the day I sell my soul" or something like that… they warned us and we didn't listen!!! The ending WOW!!! (Although at first I thought they used a different voice off to deceive us into believe it was someone else, but no... it was him... If you saw it, you know who...) Now… the flashforward wasn't the only interesting thing… what about the island happenings? Daniel's watch and rocket malfunction (Time problems there…loving it!), Hurley's deceive (How amazing was that?), Sayid's trade (I didn't see that coming either… where the hell is Miles?)… Did Kate really decide to stay or they took her? ¿Desmond on the helicopter?... I hope they explain better his last vision of "Claire and Aaron being rescued by the helicopter", because it's coming a little bit different than what he saw… maybe on his episode they shed some light on that… I really feel I have to watch it all over again… but if they keep up at this pace, I swear I'll get a heart attack! What a great show!
  • What is going on? Future again....where is the real LOST occurring. What time domain is it?

Daniel a new character and a physicist, seems to discover a new reality about the Island. We can consider it as an unveiling secret of the Island. Daniel found the time difference among the timers which well defines that there is some really strange going on that Island. Mean while, Saeed in the future seems to be hit man for the same company for whom every one works. Saeed and his boss are trying to save something, which I believe is the Island and their inhabitants. They have something new about the Island and the writers are trying to give more details to it with great suspense and thrill.
  • More people arrive !!!

Other people show up in the island.

They find out that the island is more weird than they thought.

So Sayid is the 5th survivor ? Along with Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Hurlet, who is the last one ???? Locke ? Claire ?

Just loved that scene where Sawyer is trying to convince Kate to stay in the island with him, how cute was that !!!!! :)

This was a very good episode, things are getting hotter and more complicated by the minute !!!!! Oh My God !!!! So what ? Sayid is working for Ben ??? Killing people that have some connection with the island ? So he could free the ones that are still there ??? Too many questions !!!! Im glad we are getting a little more episodes at least !!!
  • What is really going to happen?

I adore the flash forwards. They add so much - you get those tiny little hints what will happen and they built up such a dark and mysterious future and you are lost not knowing the way they will get there.

I enjoyed this episode. Somehow every Sayid centric episode had brought us one step closer what will happen but this one - all the revelations we learn that he is killing people on some list and working for Ben... I really like to learn how that will happen as Sayid say - when he starts trusting Ben, he will be selling his soul to devil. What will change that so much that he is ready to do that?

And the really important thing - two of the survivors are out of the island. And... Locke really has it from that point but it looks like on one moment Ben will take over and where does it lead? Oh.. it was great episode.

• Desmond and Sayid leaving the island on the helicopter, possibly my favourite LOST scene ever. Overall a superb episode with a shocker of an ending.

I'll start by discussing the events off the Island: Sayid's Flash Forward.
    The flash forwards were pretty dam good in my opinion, the first scene at the golf course has to be amongst Sayid's best scenes, when he shoots "Mr Avellino" and walks away and the sprinkler system comes on it feels like an exquisit and very artistic shot in the way it has been done.
    What Sayid says seems slightly chilling in this scene, in a way: Mr Avallino: What do you do for a living?
    Sayid: I do nothing.
    It kind of hits you at this moment that something isn't quite right and that theory proves correct moments later.

It was obvious that Sayid meant to meet up with Elsa in the coffee shop and the events following were a set up to gain information, I was even shocked by Sayid being double crossed by her, I did not see that coming when he got shot.
    The lurking question is who is The Economist she worked for? there are all sorts of theories circulating around the internet from Sun's dad to Charles Widmore, I wouldn't put it passed the writers if one of these was actually true.

The final revelation came in the closing moments when we found out that Ben not only got off the island, but that Sayid works for him!
    Ben utters some words that give us a taste of whats to come "remember what happened the last time you thought with your heart instead of your gun?" and "do you want to protect your friends or not?"

The on-island events were also incredibly revealing and interesting.
    We now have confirmation that some sort of time distortion exisits on the island in some shape or form, the exact nature of this im sure will be revealed at another time, maybe in Desmond's episode?

Sayid stumbled upon Ben's secret closet of joy! A room full of various suits, shirts and outfits and drawers full of different passports and currency!
    Surely this means Ben has been able to travel to and from the island for many years and with great ease it would seem.

Something else that a lot of people seem to have missed, probably because so much else happened is that clearly "Team Freighter" know exactly who Penelope Widmore is judging by their reactions when Desmond asked them, seeing as she knew nothing about the boat it makes me think again of her father...

The final on-island scene when Sayid and Desmond left the island was in one word "Beautiful", the music was sublime and the shots as the helipcopter took off and left and flew away from the island were tear-jerkingly good! Keeping in mind this is the first time we see people leave the island with real hope this time of finding rescue, the other times were the raft in season 1 and Michael's departure in season 2.

The fast paced season continues with events being propelled forward at a rate never expected by not even myself!
  • Some *SPOILERS*. The plot thickens. The best show so far this season.

What is amazing and unique to the "Lost" franchise is how they can reveal so much and in the end you end up with more questions than answers.

This "flash forward" episode was centered on Sayid. From the first scene we learn that Sayid is one of the "Oceanic 6". It gives us a look at Sayid from many different angles. It shows Sayid as a character full of contradictions. He is passionate and ruthless with his lover in Germany; he conceives and executes a plan to rescue Charlotte from Locke, but he still falls into Locke's trap. This episode made me question Sayid's core motivations. Is he good? Is he bad?

I really enjoyed the twist at the end. The storytellers are taking you one way. The clues seem to be telling you that "The Economist" who Sayid is hunting is Ben. But the end made me wonder, "IS Ben one of the good guys?"
  • Now i was wondering who are the other two that get out of the island.

Now i was wondering who are the other two that get out of the island. Because Ben, Desmond and Juliet doesn`t count as one of the oceanic 815 six because they have lived in the island before of the flight crash. Who you think they are people? We have four people confirmed, Sayid, Kate, Hurley and Jack. I dont think that Sawyer get out because of what he said in the last chapter. This chapter was great and this season its more spectacular than the other three together. I wish that abc broadcast lost every day of the week, because is so hard to wait a week to see what happened next.
  • Sayid becomes Jason Bourne/007. Ben becomes even more of a mastermind.

I am biased because I can't stand the sniffling Jack, (or ever the loser Charlie). My favorite characters on the show are 1# Sayid, 2# Ben, and #3 Locke. Sayid always gets pushed to the back. I can't see how people thought this was an unoriginal eposide. We get a lot of clues to the future. Why do people not like the fastforwards? Why do people that want all the answers watch the show? The whole idea is for them to give you clues. Season 2 was a waste because none of the clues really led to a payoff. Last year was a wash because they have seemed to turn arc after that development, but it does seem that the "others" goals (Ben's goals) will be tied to the conclusion of the series. It reminded me of the movie Munich last night. Sayid had a list and he was tracking down people. No surprise they did the killings in East Berlin (a very 007 thing to do). It should be fun to see who Ben real is at some point. I just hope this all does not end up in Hurley's head. They have got this angle going again. Last night with the cabin disappearing from Locke and two weeks ago it had been blinked away by Hurley. Add that to the Dave eposide in season one and the Charlie cameo two weeks ago. We shall see, but right now I am enjoying Lost again.
  • Ben Linus is Jason Bourne?

A very strong episode where the main twists and turns seem to be coming from the Flash-Forwards rather then the island storyline. Let's talk about the episode into the two parts that every episode is broken down into. The FF was amazing, from the beginning to the end. This is classic JJ Abrams type of stuff - showing us the change in characters over time. I remember way back in season one when Jack said to Kate "It doesnt matter who we were, all that matters is who we are." I think this quote is so significant when you look at it from the view of the future. I love this new path the shwo is taking and to be honest I love the storytelling thats going on in the FF stories. I was one of the few who thought they were going to be using a lot of FF's to tell the story and I'm very glad to see that being the case. The opening scene with Sayid killing a seemingly random man at the golf course was very much so unexpected. The man seemed to know who Sayid was - and seemed very much so afraid. He tried to leave after winning the bet, which makes me wonder if there is anythign deeper then that. Im sure if he was working for Dharma he would have all ready known Sayid, but once Syaid said he was from Oceanic 815 the man seemed scared for his life. Very powerful way to begin. Sayids connection was Elsa was perfect - for a one episode kind of thing anyway. He being a spy was a little weird, as the two of them actually seemed to like each other. It seems that Elsa had a mission to get the name of Ben, and Sayid had to get the name of her employer. I didnt think about that last night, but that does make sense as to why she suddenly was able to flip out of character like that. Obviously the ending was amazing, one of the most powerful endings in the history of Lost. Emerson still deserves his Emmy, other then his zombie eyes in the beginning of the episode. Not sure what that was all about. Lol.

The island portion is where the episode was a little slower - Jin, Sun, Rose, Benard, and Desmond just kind of chilling back at the beach is kind of weird consdiering everything that is going on right now on the island. I know why they arent trying to overcrowd the scenes, but I would like to see them get a little more involved. The braclet was a fun new mystery to debate about on the forums and I did like how Ben is apprently Jason Bourne in disguise with all the passports. Ben should have a very informative FB coming up in the second part of the season. Like I said, the island scenes were a little slow at times, but the FF was able to more then make up for it. I am going to go ahead and classify this as the "worst" season four episode - but thats a fantastic think given how many great things I have had to say about it.
  • (contains spoilers) This was an intersting episode and it really makes me wonder about the direction of the show, but I'm sure it will pan out, the writers like to make you think, and things never seem to be what they appear on the show.

I have to admit I was a little dissapointed that Sayid is one of the "Oceanic 6" his charcter just doesn't have much weight in the story anymore, but I'm sure that will change. I didn't care for what he became after leaving the island, because he was so against what he did and who he was with the Republican Guard and Saddam, and now he seems to be back to that guy again.

I also don't like how they keep naming people in the "Oceanic 6" they said they are naming another one next week that means will we have 5 out of 6 already and they still have till 2010. I agree with one of the other reviews that Hurley being in that closet would have been a great way to have him get in the other group, and explain why he was in the "Oceanic 6' eventhough he went with Locke. I'm not too worried about that because I think maybe he will feel bad for tricking them, that they can write a believeable way of him switching groups and making it off of the island. OK now about Ben. I was wondering what the picture was of Ben because it looked to be off of the island and he was an adult but he lived on the island his whole life, did he leave at some point? Then he is off the island in the flash foward and some how Sayid works for Ben, what is that all about. I kind of hope Sayid gets killed in someone elses flash foward after he gets off the island same with Ben.

I'm really looking foward to next weeks show as always, because it seems like the writers are either messing with us or hopefully they are making it so they don't give everything away already.
  • This a Sayid flash-forward episode.

This episode really made me want to like Sayid but I can't pull myself to it. Sayid in his flash-forwards was doing what he was doing best and that was killing people. That twist in the end (which I won't reveal here just in case somebody reading this hadn't seen it) is just so amazing that as soon as ABC puts this episode online I am going to rewatch the ending over and over again, I just can't believe it! I am also glad that Locke is starting to show some more leadership skills. That plan of his was awesome. It really had me convinced that they did leave Hurley behind. The writers did a great job on that one. It was almost like a Kansas City Shuffle (Lucky # Slevin reference; great movie by the way). I am also very happy to see that Kate joined with the team/side that I really care about. It gives hope at least some of them will survive when they finally get off the island. Also my prediction for next episode looks like we get a confirmation that Kate is one of the Oceanic Six. I figured that anyway just because of the flash forward we had at the end of season 3.
  • Another fun flashforward reveals Sayid is up to his old tricks again, this time on and off the island. Drama ensues.

This episode had me hooked from the start until the end. For some reason, I just find Sayid to be an interesting character. In this episode, we learned that our favorite torturist is back at it, this time hunting down people on a list at the whim of a mystery man who turns out to be (drum roll please)...Ben.

Not only does this shoot down the Ben in the casket theory, it also points to more than just six getting off the Island. I highly doubt Ben managed to grab one of the six spots off, but hey, who knows, right?

Anyhoo, back to the main point. This episode did for me what last week's couldn't and that is, in a nutshell, advance the story and introduce new elements/new mysteries. My love for Miles has subsided a bit and the four newbies are still throwaway characters IMO, but I love where things are going and can't wait to see the next installment.
  • A Sayid centric episode, that leaves a lot to think about, an episode some have failed to grasp

*Slight Spoiler Alert Start* We get to see a new side of Sayid in this episode in form of a flash forward, some are questioning his intentions to kill from what I can gather, but if you listen to Ben's last words in this episode "Remember what happened the last time you fought with your heart" Something is obviously going to kick off major in the world of Sayid that will give him trust in Ben. Also its key to note that Sayid is helping the people on the island by doing what he is doing (Again mentioned by Ben) Presumably by taking revenge on the people that are either working or associated with the nut cases coming to the island *Spoiler End*

Sayid, Kate and Miles, go off to the barracks to see Locke, to negotiate over his hostage. A Sayid centric episode that reveals a very interesting flash forward and a new and interesting, though quite dark, side of Sayid. Someone pops up in the flash forward off the island, which leaves the episode in a very exciting cliffhanger. It was also nice to see Locke slowly begin to slip into madness, and once again run into a wall (Not physically), while being tortured by the master of head f***s, Ben, and Kate and Sawyer's little love triangle once again deepens. Hurley also begins to question his decision to go with Locke, as he like few others can see bloodshed in the horizon. And Daniel's characters becomes a little more interesting after the bizarre results of an experiment he conducts. Two people are also due to escape on an helicopter, which means soon we'll get to witness the freighter and meet the "crew"

Season four has been moving much faster this season, which is leaving my head spinning, so little answers yet so many questions, as is the way with lost. Overall this episode, though not the greatest, is definitely one of Sayid's strongest and is a fine of example of why we keep coming back to Lost. If this carries on we may have a contender for a season better that the first! I'd also like to ask that the people who don't like Lost and keep slating it, why watch it? :S
< 1 2 3