Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• I give up!

Ok, I am a huge Lost fan. I love the show. I love the characters. I have been always one to watch shows that has a bit of mystery to it & I try to figure it out before anything is revealed.

I have now officially given up trying to figure out where Lost is going. Last week I was majorly confused with the flashbacks of the new guys. This week? Sayid working for Ben? Killing a bunch of people probably to protect the other survivors? Huh? No pun intended...I'm officially lost watching Lost. Which is the way I like it.

Can't wait for next week.
  • Woah, please slow down!

With season four rolling around, Lost becomes more confusing then it ever was. With GREAT episodes, and by great I really do mean great. Each one holds your attention and really gets you confused. This episode moves extremely fast paced and I would say it definitely requires two viewings. The flash-forwards really are fun but at the same time, they are extremely headachey and confusing and really makes you add more questions to the already piled up stack we have. I'd definitely recommend this episode for people who are truly loyal followers of the show. But for the "here-and-there" viewer...I'd abandon the fourth season right away.
  • Forget everything else, Lost is the king of the hill.

Lost once again gives us another excellent episode. If Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, who are supposedly the weakest writer duo on the crew can pull off something like this, then I wonder what the rest of the episodes will be like?!

This episode was simply mindblowing. Surely, the island storyline started a bit slow, but by the end you just couldn't blink! Sayid never gets enough screentime, so it was great that in this episode he's featured in basically every scene. Naveen Andrews is a very talented actor, I must say.

Two particularly interesting things concerning the island:

-- Dan's experiement. If this doesn't proove that the time passes different on the island, nothing does. I had goosebumps! I bet Dan did too.

-- The two groups. Very odd. Locke's group acting like the others now. It's really creepy, but it's just something (in my opinion) was coming. I predicted it around season 2, and here it is. Our survivors taking the place of the others...

It was good to see Desmond, and even better for him to question why Naomi had a photo of him and Penny. Looks like very soon we'll be getting some answers now that Des and Sayid is on their way to the freighter.

Now, the flashforward. Oh. My. God. What an opening! I totally didn't see THAT coming! Sayid shooting a man in cold blood. Wow, wow. Sayid is working as a hitman? Even more wow. Sayid's "girlfriend"'s a hitwoman? Even more wow! For a few minutes it felt like I was watching Alias! Elsa's death scene was actually done the same way as one of the deaths in Alias in 2x13 which was also directed by Jack Bender.

But of course, the very ending... finding out who Sayid's employer is. Ben. Even if I wanted to theorize, I wouldn't be able. I'm just so... shocked. I'm absolutely locked down. This is not a TV show, it's art. Bring on next week.
  • A strong turn for a character begging for the spotlight

Now that the writers' strike is over, there's less concern that the fourth season will be chopped in half. It will be shorter than intended, but the producers will tell the same season arc as originally planned. That will mean compressing the story in the second half of the season. If the first few episodes are any indication, that will be quite a difficult task. The story is already progressing at an unexpectedly accelerated rate. Of course, that was the promise made by the producers in the first place. Now that the endpoint for the series has been set in stone, they no longer have to stretch out the story. The current plans allow them to maintain forward momentum while taking the time to continue the strong character exploration at the heart of the series. In this case, Sayid is the center of attention, and this is easily one of his best episodes. In particular, the flashforward takes Sayid in an unexpected direction, giving the audience a reason to anticipate his character progression in the future. While it's unclear how much time has passed, or where this flashforward fits in relation to Hurley's experience in "The Beginning of the End" and Jack's meltdown in "Through the Looking Glass", the circumstances continue to flesh out the impending conflict. Sayid has the skill and experience necessary to be a competent assassin, so as surprising as his alliance with Ben might be, it makes a certain amount of sense. Thus far, it appears that the theory regarding the "Oceanic 6" is correct. They seem to have kept the existence of the remaining survivors a secret on purpose, pretending to be the only survivors themselves, to protect them from Matthew Abaddon's organization. Now we learn that Ben also escaped the island, presumably independent of the "Oceanic 6", and that he has been waging war against his enemies. Sayid's experience with Elsa indicates that the war is escalating, and Ben is more than happy about it. The implication is that at least some of the "Oceanic 6" were chosen to help mitigate or eliminate Abaddon's organization, because until that happens, the rest of the survivors and the island will be in jeopardy. In any such arrangement, one would expect Ben to have the upper hand. It's certainly not clear why Sayid feels beholden to Ben, enough so to kill, but that's part of the fun. Back on the island, Sayid asserts some of his leadership ability by imposing his will upon Jack, who knows enough to trust Sayid's instincts. Sayid's strategy regarding the "rescue party" is quite intelligent, and while Jack seems more eager for rescue, he's not stupid enough to trust them. Sayid knows that Team Shepherd is more exposed at this point, and his tactics are developed accordingly. It's good to see Jack learning to trust Kate, because in the past, he's been unable to accept the possibility of her competence. Of course, he's also recognized that she'll do what she wants to do, as the eternal wild card, so he uses that to his apparent advantage. This puts her in the position for a reunion with Sawyer, who displays quite a bit of growth since the events of "The Brig". Sawyer was once the leader of the faction unwilling to let go of the past; now he is embracing the possibilities of the island nearly as much as Locke, though for different reasons. Speaking of Locke, his inability to find Jacob again puts him in a bad psychological space. Ben is quick to recognize that Locke claims his leadership role through the mechanism of mysticism and visions, something he knows about all too well. (Perhaps this is the beginning of Ben's slow return to power, with Team Locke as his new "Others".) Hurley tries to assert more influence over Locke, but in this instance, it doesn't quite work. Still, the stage is set for Hurley's eventual break from Team Locke. Sayid's swap, substituting Miles for Charlotte, puts Miles into an interesting position. While he was staying with Team Shepherd, his unique skills might have been wasted. By throwing him in with Team Locke, there's a much higher chance of running into Jacob. It would be interesting to see Miles interact with Ben, and it would definitely be interesting to see his reactions around the barracks, where so many of the Dharma Initiative died. For that matter, it looks like the rest of the "rescue party" is sliding into the right place at the right time. Sayid would be able to direct Charlotte to the location of the "four-toed statue", for example, which is likely connected to her expertise. Daniel is already running some interesting experiments, shedding light on the unusual properties of the island, and since the remnants of the Swan Station are on the way to the beach, he's not far from the motherlode (from his perspective). While this is still the introductory phase of the season arc, and the pieces are still moving into position on the board, the use of flashforwards has given the writing staff the ability to tell the "Lost" story on more than one level. That breaks the series out of any sense of monotony, and allows for revelation in unexpected places. It certainly appears that the patience of "Lost" fans is being rewarded.
  • A wonderful Sayid-centric episode

Another wonderful episode of season4,maybe the best season yet!
    Sayid's flashforward was so interesting and mysterious since we see that he follows orders from someone we don't know yet. But from who and why? He kills people who "stand on his way" and he searches for The economist,the rival who is behind from all these.
    On the island Sayid,Kate and Miles go to the barracks to find Locke and the rest in order to negotiate about Charlotte since Sayid made a deal with Frank to go bring her back. There, Locke's team fool them and captures them by setting Hurley as the "bait". Kate is with Sawyer where he ask her to stay with him on the island since their lives outside won't be pleasant. Miles is taken away somewhere while Sayid meets Ben. At last, Sayid and Locke come to an agreement and Charlotte goes back with Sayid while Kate and Miles stay behind for unknown reasons.
    Meanwhile Dan makes an experiment when he communicates with the freighter and discovers that the time on the island runs 31 minutes slower than off the island.
    When Sayid returns with Charlotte, Juliet brings Desmond with her back from the beach. Afterwards, Frank,Sayid,Desmond and Naomi's dead body departure with the helicopter for the freighter.
    Finally, in Sayid's flashforward we surprisingly discover that the man he was taking orders from is... BEN!
  • Keeping Up With The Pace Set In The Last Two Episodes

Last season people were complaining that things were moving too slow and nothing was happening, this season is the opposite and the show is definately moving forward now. Can't wait till next week or the week after that or the next week too, I'm glued to my seat every week, what an amazing show.

Flashforwards have given the series a new life, more twists and questions too but I'm used to that by now and love the show for all it's mysteries and mythology, not many other shows have stories that can compare to lost, just when you think you know what will happen something else happens that completely changes your mind.

Final words - Such a great episode as were the previous two.
  • I'm still in shock! They're going to give me a heart attack! What's going on??? *Spoilers*

This episode was reeealy great... so many things happened… from now I think I'll have to watch each episode three or four times in a row to get the whole of it!

From the very beginning with Sayid killing that unknown man, acting all spyish, with a secret boss, and missions…. The phrase "The day I start trusting Ben will be the day I sell my soul" or something like that… they warned us and we didn't listen!!! The ending WOW!!! (Although at first I thought they used a different voice off to deceive us into believe it was someone else, but no... it was him... If you saw it, you know who...) Now… the flashforward wasn't the only interesting thing… what about the island happenings? Daniel's watch and rocket malfunction (Time problems there…loving it!), Hurley's deceive (How amazing was that?), Sayid's trade (I didn't see that coming either… where the hell is Miles?)… Did Kate really decide to stay or they took her? ¿Desmond on the helicopter?... I hope they explain better his last vision of "Claire and Aaron being rescued by the helicopter", because it's coming a little bit different than what he saw… maybe on his episode they shed some light on that… I really feel I have to watch it all over again… but if they keep up at this pace, I swear I'll get a heart attack! What a great show!
  • Another fun flashforward reveals Sayid is up to his old tricks again, this time on and off the island. Drama ensues.

This episode had me hooked from the start until the end. For some reason, I just find Sayid to be an interesting character. In this episode, we learned that our favorite torturist is back at it, this time hunting down people on a list at the whim of a mystery man who turns out to be (drum roll please)...Ben.

Not only does this shoot down the Ben in the casket theory, it also points to more than just six getting off the Island. I highly doubt Ben managed to grab one of the six spots off, but hey, who knows, right?

Anyhoo, back to the main point. This episode did for me what last week's couldn't and that is, in a nutshell, advance the story and introduce new elements/new mysteries. My love for Miles has subsided a bit and the four newbies are still throwaway characters IMO, but I love where things are going and can't wait to see the next installment.
  • Possibly the best Sayid episode yet!

Only three episodes in, and already the conflict between the freighties, Team Jack and The Others 2.0 is escalating rapidly. In addition, the flash-forwards continue to be a valuable asset, introducing a new layer to the Oceanic Six saga. Again the confidence the writers have now permeates through. Knowing the end date really helps these reveals, as it feels like its building to something rather than keeping the balls in the air until the series is unprofitable.

While Jack and Hurley were able to return to their lives, at least until their consciences caught up with them, Sayid turned into an international man of mystery gunning down people on Ben's list. This could've been a problem, as a high profile celebrity like one of the Oceanic Six would make a tough secret assassin, but it works thanks to Naveen Andrew's conflicted performance and the mysterious reasons for why he is doing this.

The big reveal is worth of a lot of discussion and speculation. Sayid and Ben have had a tumultuous relationship since they first met in "One of Them" (also a Sayid episode). That events from the present on the island to the flash-forward would make Sayid "sell [his] soul" and side with Ben is unbelievable. It can be simply that the mutual enemy of the freighties' employer forges this alliance, but more has to be in store for this mystery.

Then we have the foreshadowing with Ben's remark about the last time Sayid thought "with [his] heart rather than [his] gun". Although Sayid regrets his violent past, he's been willing to return to it for the sake of what he considers the greater good. This seems to hint at a moment where violence didn't seem necessary, but his non involvement resulted in grave consequences for the survivors.

Sayid's character has been haunted by the actions he committed in the Republican Guard. Torturing Sawyer for ultimately no good reason early in season one made him temporarily vacate in self-imposed exile. In the flash forward he's cornered where his only option is to kill the people Ben selects. Naveen Andrews described Sayid in the future as cold, which is necessary for a hit man. That doesn't work when he meets and grows feelings for Elsa, the contact of the episode's namesake. It should be noted that Elsa is a similar physical type to Shannon, albeit not as bratty. Their courtship, and Sayid's killing of her, shows that duality is alive within Sayid.

His friends, whether they're on island or not, are the hostages. Previous flash-forwards have shown that those who sent the freighties are now scrutinizing the Oceanic Six to make sure they don't reveal what really happened. However, Sayid and Ben have turned the tables on them. Now why Sayid's on the offensive to protect his friends while Jack and Hurley remain quiet still isn't clear, but it's a mouthwatering mystery that appears to be center to the season's story.

Hurley's flash-forward took place before Jack's, but Sayid's has no clear point in the timeline. Presumably this is later, as those from the island are taking the conflict to a new level. It's possible that it'll never be completely clear, but it seems as if some time has passed since the "rescue". It'll be interesting to see how Jack tries to contact Sayid regarding returning to the island.

In the parallel storylines, Sayid pays respect to deceased women and finds a bracelet on them. The bracelet both Naomi and Elsa have is a tell tale connection between the two, likely romantic or familial to one of the higher ranking people on the freighter, but is a classic element thrown in simply to get people talking before delving into it later.

Ben's hidden closet shouldn't come as a big surprise. As he lied about living there his whole life, his drawers full of passports and various currencies show he's traveled around the world similar to Ethan and Richard. Some believe this adds credence to the theory that Ben is the one in the coffin, as one of his aliases could be on the news clipping Jack had. One interesting theory is that Jack's despondency was over losing that access back to the island. I doubt that, but it isn't too far fetched. Can Ben get back? If he can't, is that why he sent Sayid to dispatch those who made it be?

Another possibly important reveal was the time difference between Daniel's on island clock and the one Regina sends in the payload. Time moving differently on the island has been theorized for some time. It could help explain various aspects from the current date on island (Christmas Eve 2004) and the present to how the writers will deal with Malcolm David Kelly's pubescence. Even Jack asking Frank about the Red Sox could add to the time discrepancy theory, since the Red Sox won another World Series last year.

Then there is the subject of bearing. Daniel's emphasis on Frank maintaining a specific bearing recalls Ben's insistence that Michael, who is the front runner for who Ben's inside man is, keep the boat on a bearing of 325 degrees. This could be the only way off the island, but what is keeping the island "protected" and what happens if that bearing isn't followed?

It's interesting that of the freighties, Miles is the only one interested in getting Ben. Otherwise they all have different motivations: Daniel wants to learn more about the anomalies of the island. Frank wants to learn about the survivors presumably. Charlotte must want to learn more about Dharma and the crash itself, plus the four toed statue would be a major find for her. None of the freighties have any idea what Naomi was doing with Desmond's photo, so the freighties on the freighter have an agenda those on island are unaware of.

Team Locke experiences its second major problem when Jacob's cabin fails to appear. It's a similar disappointment to the one Locke felt early in season two when he didn't get the answers he expected from the hatch. Jacob's cabin not appearing could be simply punishment because Locke failed in his mission to prevent Jack from contacting the boat, or it may be another reason altogether. This compounds the weird feelings some of them felt when Locke said Walt was one of his guides for leadership. Ben of course jumps at the opportunity to pick at Locke's wounded pride and soon some dissent arises over what they should do with Charlotte.

For now it seems like that was meant to mislead us into believing that Hurley was left behind so that the surprise ambush would be a shocking twist. Luckily for Hurley, he's earned so much goodwill among the viewers that tricking Kate and Sayid hardly dented his reputation, although it is telling as far as where relationships between Team Jack and The Others 2.0.

Last episode Ben tried to rile Sawyer by remarking that Kate and he wouldn't have a chance in the real world since Jack is a more dignified choice. Now we see more of that psychology when Sawyer confronts Kate at Ben's home. Neither of these two have much to look forward to: Kate was being extradited to the US and at some point Sawyer became a high profile suspect in the murder of the man he believed was the real Sawyer.

What was really interesting about their scenes was Sawyer's entry to the room with Kate hiding under the bed mirrored Sawyer's flashback in "Outlaws" where his father walked into the bed and shortly afterward killed himself. A lot has been made about the irony of Sawyer becoming the man he hated growing up, but setting up the shot that way may set up some of the more self destructive elements Sawyer's exhibited lately.

The mystery established for what has happened between these flash forwards and current island time is as good as what the flashbacks originally did (and still does for newer characters). This episode introduces more elements to the mystery of the future, with a change in dynamics that should be interesting to see come into fruition.
  • great episode

One of the supposed rescuers Charlotte land on a river. When she gets out of the water, she's surrounded by the oceanic survivors. Locke decides to take her hostage. Sayid goes to the barracks hoping to negotiate with Locke for Charlotte. Sayid trades another rescuer for the swap. It's a really awesome episode, the writers came up with another cool episode to continue the drama. The flash forwards are really cool, they expand the show's universe. It gives the show a lot more depth. The new characters especially frank are really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode. The storyline is so cool.
  • One more of the Oceanic 6 Confirmed

This episode is a must see. It's revealing and interesting from the start to the end, Ben leaves you wondering even more than normal what is going on and how he could possible know the people that arrived at the end of the last episode(one before this one) now in this episode nothing is cleared up about that but some more the future is revealed to be even more confusing. With the addition of Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 there is still questions as to who the others are. Two were previously confirmed Jack and Kate, Kate does say that she has to get back someone and if I remember correctly she says its Sawyer. So that would be 4 revealed, the future is looking pretty grim for the rest but stay tuned to find out what happens. Oh yea and I still HATE Miles(ghostbuster BIG MOUTH) but really like Frank(Burned out pilot).
  • An amazing episode, this season has really started in an excellent way.

Wow, that was amazing. Lost continues to deliver the good.
    A Sayid centric episode, about time. I felt he was terribly underused last season but now a flash forward and him being one of the oceanic 6, that`s fantastic.
    The opener is shocking. I know he was a soldier and has killed before but just killing the guy he was playing golf with was really unexpected.
    The drama on the island remains excellent. Questions continue to arise on the "rescuers" and Dan may have proved that time does not pass as it should on the island, which could mean a lot.
    Kate goes with Sayid and decides to stay there. We had two episodes of Kate and Jack and it was meh but this one Kate-sawyer scene proves how much chemistry there is between these two. Kate staying is totally logic. Why the hell would she want to leave island? Nobody is waiting for her there and she is a fugitive. But I would`t be surprised if she stayed undercover there.
    The flash forward had bunch of shocking events but THE ultimate shocking moment was the end of episode cliffhanger. You can`t beat Ben! one of the smartest guy of tv!
    I like the reflective camera view of the island when they were leaving in the helicopter. Great Desmond too is going, I don`t even know what to expect on that boat.
    Lost was always well written but IMO the writing of this show has never been better than now.
    Been a great TV week. Amazing prison break and Lost episode. :D
  • What is really going to happen?

I adore the flash forwards. They add so much - you get those tiny little hints what will happen and they built up such a dark and mysterious future and you are lost not knowing the way they will get there.

I enjoyed this episode. Somehow every Sayid centric episode had brought us one step closer what will happen but this one - all the revelations we learn that he is killing people on some list and working for Ben... I really like to learn how that will happen as Sayid say - when he starts trusting Ben, he will be selling his soul to devil. What will change that so much that he is ready to do that?

And the really important thing - two of the survivors are out of the island. And... Locke really has it from that point but it looks like on one moment Ben will take over and where does it lead? Oh.. it was great episode.
  • A very revealing and shocking episode to say the least.

A very revealing and shocking episode to say the least.

From this episode we found out the 4th member of the Oceanic 6. After Jack, Kate and Hurley now we have Sayid. From what we have seen so far there is a difference between Jack and Hurley and Sayid. Whilst Jack and Hurley wants to go back to the island, Sayid is being forced to kill people off the "list" to save his friends. By his friends, is he meaning the others of the Oceanic 6?

But the biggest shock of all was that Sayid is working and killing for Ben. Whilst on the island Sayid found loads of money from different countries and different Ben's passports. This shows that Ben has been leaving the island a lot. The question now is what is exactly Ben in the outside world? And what was is that Sayid listened to his heart and not his gun, that made him work for Ben? On the island Sayid had said that before trusting Ben he would need to sell his soul.
  • Is Ben a veterinary!?

So at first i did not think that this episode was going to be so interesting since i did not have much expectations about a Sayid center episode...and to be honest i did not think that the episode was very interesting except for it's end.

Sayid goes with Kate and Miles to check on Lockes camp, and meanwhile we see some flashforwards which confirm that Sayid is indeed one of the Oceanic 6 survivors. Apparently he as found a new job besides torture. Now i believe that most of the flashforward sequences are pointless and if it was not for the last sequence which indeed leaves us wondering about what will happen in the future that will make Sayid do what he does.

Also in the present time we finally see Sayid and Desmond leaving the island towards the boat from which Daniel and the others came from.

So bottom line in my opinion, you could just skip the begining and middle of this episode and move straight to the end, because that's the interesting part about it.
  • An episode giving us a look at some more of the Oceanic 6 as well as a glimpse at what they're doing in the future. There are some great cliffhangers and some very important storyline developments. One of the top 2 episodes this season.

7.8
    Almost all episodes of LOST are revealing, but this episode gives us a glimpse of what Sayid in the future. This future is very interesting in that it seems he has become a very deceptive and harmful person again. He seems to be hunting people down, methodically, and calling himself a headhunter. He seems to have a boss, calling the shots, but it is not completely clear who until the end of this episode. Unfortunately this leaves many new questions unanswered: who is he killing, why is he killing them, and what do they have in common. Also, one of his targets doesn't recognize him until he introduces himself, at which point the target becomes very worried. It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds; what the connections are between these people.
  • OK episode, great ending

7.8
    Of the season 4 episodes we have been treated to so far I found this the least enjoyable. That is by no means to say that it was not good, the other episodes have just been exceptional. It is Sayid-centric and follows him, post-island, as he befriends the ill-fated Elsa whose mysterious employer - an economist by profession - is of great interest to Sayid or rather, the man Sayid is working for.

Of all our island-dwelling Losties I find myself drawn to Sayid the least. The lack of empathy for him may be down to our differences in culture, character or even gender but I find myself less absorbed by his flash-backs and now his flashforwards. The storyline was sound. I liked the building of tension caused by the persistent and cryptic references to the eponymous 'Economist' and suspicious phone calls. I did, however, find the chemsitry between Sayid and his unfortunate female aquaintance a little unbelievable putting it down to a general lack of chemistry. On a positive note this episode was rescued by an amazing final scene which left my head (adorned with jaunty 'I Love Lost'cap) spinning.
  • Season 4 delivers its first major shock at the very end. Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesn't compliment it.

"The Economist" was one of those episodes where when the credits rolled I thought that I should give this a higher rating. Was this because of the shock ending? Yes. And what a shock ending it was, easily in my Top 10 Shock Endings (Yes, I have a Top 10, how sad!). But, on reflection, after, I wasn't that impressed. I found it a little slow and uneventful, especially on island, and for a Sayid episode, I found this to be surprising. His last two were "One of Them" and "Enter 77", which were highlights of their season. This felt a little flat, especially after the thrill ride that was "Confirmed Dead". The problem with that episode was that there was too much going on and this episode falters because there's not enough. Alot of the island action is watching our characters moving from one location to another. The best part of the island story was Faraday's experiment, which was the big hot topic of the episode, second to the flashforward. This scene confirmed that there is a time delay on the island, as apoosed to off it. Watching Sayid and Desmond leave on the helicopter provided some good island scenery, the like of which we hadn't previously seen and gave a chance for Michael Giacchino to show off his beautiful score.
    Other than that there wasn't much to report. People are moving into position for the next development and so in that respect this episode is largely transitional. There are not many episodes where the off-island plot thread is better than the on-island plot thread, but in this case "The Economist" is one of those. The flashforward was full of shocks, and made the island story seem largely uneccesary, that it would have been no sin to have the whole episode off island. Shock one was when Sayid plays Golf with a guy, who his shoots after losing a wager with. Not only do we learn that Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six, but that he is a professional assassin of sorts. As the flashforwards continue we realise that Sayid is being ordered to complete an exterminating mission to those that may have had ties with the Freighter folk. In "The Beginning of the End" Hurley was fearful of Matthew Abaddon in the mental institution. It seems that he could be one of the men on Sayid's list of names that he has to kill. But who is ordering Sayid to do this dirty work. None other than our favourite "Other" Benjamin Linus!
    The reveal is superbly done and is perhaps the least thing you'd expect, especially considering the two character's previous history. I mean, after all, Sayid was the first one to confront him and lay a hand on him. People wonder what could have possessed Sayid to work for Ben, but you could also wonder why on earth would Ben take Sayid under his wing, considering his hatred of him. It seems obvious that the freighter people were trouble and caused some tragic deaths to some of the survivors on the island, prevented some from leaving and made everyone that did get rescued feeling miserable and guilty. It is this guilt and remorse that has now taken hold of three of three of the Oceanic Six, Jack, Hurley and Sayid. Of those three, we still don't know if Sayid wants to or believes that he will return to the island but his murderous efforts maybe an attempt on providing some kind of opening to go back and rescue whoever got left behind. That is assuming that Sayid hadn't turned into a bad guy. Anything's possible now!!! Kate is the only one who, at this time, has turned a blind eye to the island's calling. Looking ahead to future episodes, this, on reflection, would seem initially surprising, as Sawyer, her loose island lover didn't make it off with her. Had the two had a major lover's tiff? Well, in the following episode that would turn out to be true but there may be more to why Kate is content to stay on the mainland, as we will discover. If I were to base my enjoyment of this episode on the flashforwards this episode would reach at least a 9, but the island story was hugely disappointing and it is Sayid's weakest episode since The Greater Good. Netheless, it was nowhere near a disaster and it steup some interesting developments for the future.
  • The flash forwards were great and teasing, but the island story made me feel reticent to give this episode higher rating.

So basically the flash forward was the most part this episode had going for it, which I actually really appreciated. The fourth member of the Oceanic Six has finally been officially revealed and I'm not saying I'm rally too fond of this character being part of the group. His part flashbacks weren't exactlly the most enticing when put side-by-side with Kate's or Jack's or Desmond's, but I guess after watching this episode, I felt a little ease on how they might play Sayid as one of the Oceanic Six and even if I don't understand much of what was actually happening, hey, well, that's Lost for you.
  • The fast-paced story-telling of this season speeds up and a sense of dread and paranoia overpower the hope of rescue.

Episodes focusing on Sayid have always featured a sense of dread and paranoia. Nothing is what it seems and the audience is hesitant, much like Sayid, to make too much out of good fortune. Sayid's departure from the island provides us with some of the widest shot footage of the island to date. It is, in every sense of the word, a "big picture" moment for the series. Yet, Sayid is leaving the island, at least in part, to undertake the mission of investigating the freighter and the people on it for Jack and the other survivors. His plan is intelligent to the extent that it gets him off the island. To the extent that now that he is off, he has no viable means of communicating with anyone on the island. And judging by the flawhforwards of Jack and Hurley and the Desmond's comments in the season 2 finale, Sayid is not likely to return to the island in the present. One of the highlights of this episode feature 3 of the best manipulators on the island - Sayid, Locke and Ben. Sitting in a room together for a few moments, a lot happened. Sayid appealed to Locke's logic and his interests. Ben planted a foundation for Sayid's future betrayal. It also begs a lot of questions. What did Locke receive in exchange for Charlotte? Miles was already Locke's captive. Whatever else Locke received, does Ben know about it? Did Ben and Sayid's future relationship begin in this room? This brings us to the biggest question from this episode - what does Ben hope to accomplish in the flash forward? He makes the statement that Sayid wants to protect his friends. This seems consistent with Hurley refusing to talk to Abbadon in the premiere; the Oceanic 6 are lying to protect their "friends" who remain on the island. Until this episode, the audience was left to wonder who was left to warrant protecting and why were the likes of Jack and Hurley protecting them? Now there is a major new wrinkle to those questions - what is Ben's interest in protecting them? Ben's interest may be in protecting the island as a whole. Perhaps he is acting on new orders from Jacob or even Locke. But at first glance, it does not seem consistent with his immediate present conflict with Locke.

The other highlight of the episode is the Sawyer/Kate scene in the bedroom in which many have submitted that he "proposed." Sawyer has definitely come along since "The Brig." He recognizes that his future on the island is brighter than his future off it. He is still in a dark place but now sees hope. He also sees that this is even more obvious for Kate than himself. This is not so obvious to Kate for some reason. His gesture of awakening her to this is a call to who he sees as his soul mate. Kate's eventual departure from the island tells us that either she was an idiot or she made a very logical calculated decision. Despite some of Kate's tendencies, the second option is most likely. If she learns that she is pregnant with Sawyer's child, she likely chooses to leave at the last minute but Sawyer does not find out until it is too late to stop her. This explains her vehemence in refusing future Jack's assertions that they have to go back. If the Oceanic 6 are truly protecting those that are still on the island, it seems that Jack will be the one who is most reckless in endangering them and that Kate is the most reluctant. If she knows she is protecting Sawyer, she is likely to be content at punishing herself and protecting Sawyer. This episode confused some of the plotlines that seemed to be coming together after "Through the Looking Glass" "The Beginning of the End" and "Confirmed Dead." But this is a welcome confusion at this stage of the game since we are just over halfway through the overall narrative.
  • It seems to me that season four is going to happen between the others and the anti-others. But who are they?

It seems to me that season four is going to happen between the others and the anti-others who hired the freighter people. Our losties are already split between those two groups. The ones who want to stay on the island under leadership of Locke and those who want to leave the island, the oceanic six.
    Benjamin Linus, wanting to keep the island secret, has started a head hunting on the anti-others off the island. Sayid as forced assassin has already killed Mr. Avellino(the golfer) from the list and is after the economist. Mr. Abbadon who visited Hurley in the hospital, and who has put the freighter team together is working for the anti-others. But what is their mission and whom they are working for? Is there any connection to Penelope or her father Charles Widmore? Remember he was the manufacturer of pregnancy tests used by Sun, Kate and Rachel. Is this all about life and death, heaven or hell?
    Oh... I'm lost again in questions. So better wait for next episode, which I hope will reveal another person from the oceanic six. I hope to see Sawyer in Kate's flash forward episode...
  • Lost continues it's fast start with an interesting and revealing episode with a tremendous ending that was most shocking.

(Major Spoilers)

This Sayid-centric episode begins with him golfing in the Seychelles when he is approached by a stranger. They make a friendly bet which the stranger wins. The stranger gets highly freaked out when Sayid tells him he is a member of the Oceanic six, Sayid then shoots the horrified man, as it is his job. The flash-forward continues with Sayid on another assignment in Germany. His objective is a lovely blonde woman whom Sayid begins a relationship with, his job is to kill her employer, and her job is to get info from Sayid and to kill him. She wounds him and he kills her, and with his injury he goes to his boss to get stitched up. His boss is none other than...Benjamin Linus! Earlier in the episode Sayid says he would neve trust Ben, judging by their conversation, he doesn't trust him now, but he is working for him to protect his friends.

On the island, Sayid makes a deal with Frank that if he gets Charlotte back from Locke, Frank will take him to the freighter. Sayid leaves with Kate and Miles and is captured by Locke and Team after Locke used Hurley for bait. Sayid leaves Miles and Kate behind and takes Charlotte with him to keep his end of the bargain. Frank is not too upset with Miles being left behind and he states "Miles is a pain..." Sayid heads back to the freighter with Desmond and the Naomi's corpse.

Daniel conducts a science experiment seemingly aimed at measuring time. He sets up some gear and radios into the freighter to launch something. According to the person on the radio, the payload should've arrived, but it didn't. It does arrive...31 minutes later, thus proving some sort of time distortion.

This episode was great from start to finish, it had awesome acting, directing, dialogue, cinematography and the plot was very strong. Both the island story and the flash-forward were well done in all aspects. Terry O'Quinn put on a great display Locke's leadership and confusion when Jacob's cabin wasn't where it was supposed to be. Naveen Andrews stole the show with his amazing and diverse portrayal of Sayid. We saw many new sides to him tonight, intense, loving, sad, despairing, and focused. Whatever it is, it must be pretty serious to have him working for Ben.

The end was amazing, seeing the eerie face of Ben as he instructed Sayid was chilling and stunning. It was a great end to a great episode and will set up some major developments down the road. Lost has been stellar thus far and hopefully it will stay that way, with episodes like this, it won't be hard.
  • We may be on for the best Lost season yet.

As the episode begins, Sayid investigates Naomi's dead body and discovers an inscribed bracelet. He makes a deal with Lapidus that he will return Charlotte to safety in exchange for a flight to the boat. Sayid flashes forward to a day on a golf course where he shoots a man. Later, he meets a girl named Elsa in a Berlin restaurant and asks her out to dinner. After leaving the restaurant, Sayid calls a mystery person, saying that he "made contact." Back on the island, Sayid tells Jack not to come with him to get Charlotte. He takes Kate and Miles. Locke's gang gets to the location where Jacob's cabin should be, but the building has mysteriously vanished, so he leads the group to the barracks. Hurley protests the holding of Charlotte, but Locke insists. At the helicopter, Faraday decides to do an experiment with a locating device. Through the experiment, he discovers that the island appears to be in a different time than the outside world - about 31 minutes different. Sayid, Kate, and Miles discover Hurley tied up in the barracks. They go to Ben's house and discover a secret room of Ben's, just before Locke and Sawyer burst in on them. It turns out they were set up, and Hurley was the trap. They lock Sayid up with Ben. Kate asks Sawyer why he doesn't want to get off the island, and he explains that there's nothing for him in the real world. He asks why she would want to go off the island when she knows she'll just get arrested anyway. Locke and Sayid talk, and Sayid trades Miles for Charlotte. In another flash forward, Sayid and Elsa are in bed together, professing their love. Sayid is about to share his secret with her when her pager goes off. Sayid tells her to leave Berlin. She figures out that Sayid used her to get to her boss, and he reveals his plans to kill the man. She pulls out a gun and shoots him in the chest. Then she calls someone and tells him that Sayid wouldn't give up the name of his boss. It appears she was using him as well. Sayid, still alive, reaches for his gun and kills her. She is wearing the same bracelet as Naomi. Back on the island Desmond asks Lapidus why Naomi had the picture of him and Penny. When he won't say, Desmond insists on going on the helicopter to the freighter with Sayid. Sayid returns with Charlotte and tells Jack that Kate decided to stay behind. While Lapidus prepares the helicopter, Faraday warns him that he needs to follow the exact same course when leaving the island. Lapidus, Sayid, Desmond, and Naomi's body leave on the helicopter. In the last flash forward, Sayid walks into a dog kennel to get his bullet removed. The man who is removing the bullet asks if Elsa is dead, and Sayid tells him that she is. The man, who also appears to be Sayid's boss, is Ben. Ben says that they're doing this to protect Sayid's friends. Ben has another person he needs eliminated, and he thinks Sayid is just the man for the job.
  • An incredible episode with a lot of sorprises coming of the sky (with a delay of 31 minutes) hahaha..

One big episode...a really big one.. When the people thinks that lost dont have much more life they do it again..Now we have a jason "sayid" Bourne, we have a Ben out of island fighting with another BOSS (could be the father of Sun) :o
    we have a problem with the island and the real world (look it the experiment of Dan)
    We have a Sayier looking for happyness hahaha
    We have to watch this episode again and then we will understand all the things.
    We have LOST AGAIN PEOPLE!!
    im from argentina, im sorry for my language if i dont speak 100% good.

Greetings from here!!
    NAMASTE!!!
    bye losties
  • It's good to see they took the criticism from last season and made some great corrections. An excellent, revealing, and meaningful episode. I am enjoying watching lost again!

We learn Syed is another of the Oceanic 6. We also see Ben got off the island also. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Also, Syed is now an assassin, going after some shadowy people for still yet unrevealed reasons. Syed dates a lady who is the assistant of one of his targets. However, in the end, she ends up dead. This is one of the few times I was as interested, or more interested in the flash (forward in this case) than the island. However, the island was very revealing, if only for one thing, the delivery of the payload. There is a 20 minute time distortion. I've always figured the island was out of sync with normal time but this confirmed it. I'm curious to see what happens when they get back to the ship. My only regret is I can't wish Ben dead anymore, since his fate has been determined. However, I also have no doubt that several others are still on the island. Lost is finally moving along at the pace similar to seasons 1 and 2. It is revealing just enough while still keeping us guessing. I am looking forward to the rest of the episodes!
  • Sayid: Naomi, were you close to her? Miles: Nope. Met her on the boat. Sayid: You don't seem particularly affected by her death. Miles: Sure I'm affected. She was hot and I dug her accent. Kate: Nice.

Locke's hostage may be the key to getting off the island, so Sayid and Kate go in search of their fellow castaway in an attempt to negotiate a peaceful deal. Lost season 4 is going strong, The Economist was a brilliant episode, probable Sayid's best centric episode yet, The ending was superb, I like that some people have left hope we see them on the island again, Dan was great in this episode hes is really funny and nervous and I'm also begining to like Frank he seems cool. I can't wait to see Eggtown, wonder what it is about. The Economist gets a 9.7 out of 10.
  • What is going on? Future again....where is the real LOST occurring. What time domain is it?

Daniel a new character and a physicist, seems to discover a new reality about the Island. We can consider it as an unveiling secret of the Island. Daniel found the time difference among the timers which well defines that there is some really strange going on that Island. Mean while, Saeed in the future seems to be hit man for the same company for whom every one works. Saeed and his boss are trying to save something, which I believe is the Island and their inhabitants. They have something new about the Island and the writers are trying to give more details to it with great suspense and thrill.
  • More people arrive !!!

Other people show up in the island.

They find out that the island is more weird than they thought.

So Sayid is the 5th survivor ? Along with Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Hurlet, who is the last one ???? Locke ? Claire ?

Just loved that scene where Sawyer is trying to convince Kate to stay in the island with him, how cute was that !!!!! :)

This was a very good episode, things are getting hotter and more complicated by the minute !!!!! Oh My God !!!! So what ? Sayid is working for Ben ??? Killing people that have some connection with the island ? So he could free the ones that are still there ??? Too many questions !!!! Im glad we are getting a little more episodes at least !!!
  • Now i was wondering who are the other two that get out of the island.

Now i was wondering who are the other two that get out of the island. Because Ben, Desmond and Juliet doesn`t count as one of the oceanic 815 six because they have lived in the island before of the flight crash. Who you think they are people? We have four people confirmed, Sayid, Kate, Hurley and Jack. I dont think that Sawyer get out because of what he said in the last chapter. This chapter was great and this season its more spectacular than the other three together. I wish that abc broadcast lost every day of the week, because is so hard to wait a week to see what happened next.
  • Ben Linus is Jason Bourne?

A very strong episode where the main twists and turns seem to be coming from the Flash-Forwards rather then the island storyline. Let's talk about the episode into the two parts that every episode is broken down into. The FF was amazing, from the beginning to the end. This is classic JJ Abrams type of stuff - showing us the change in characters over time. I remember way back in season one when Jack said to Kate "It doesnt matter who we were, all that matters is who we are." I think this quote is so significant when you look at it from the view of the future. I love this new path the shwo is taking and to be honest I love the storytelling thats going on in the FF stories. I was one of the few who thought they were going to be using a lot of FF's to tell the story and I'm very glad to see that being the case. The opening scene with Sayid killing a seemingly random man at the golf course was very much so unexpected. The man seemed to know who Sayid was - and seemed very much so afraid. He tried to leave after winning the bet, which makes me wonder if there is anythign deeper then that. Im sure if he was working for Dharma he would have all ready known Sayid, but once Syaid said he was from Oceanic 815 the man seemed scared for his life. Very powerful way to begin. Sayids connection was Elsa was perfect - for a one episode kind of thing anyway. He being a spy was a little weird, as the two of them actually seemed to like each other. It seems that Elsa had a mission to get the name of Ben, and Sayid had to get the name of her employer. I didnt think about that last night, but that does make sense as to why she suddenly was able to flip out of character like that. Obviously the ending was amazing, one of the most powerful endings in the history of Lost. Emerson still deserves his Emmy, other then his zombie eyes in the beginning of the episode. Not sure what that was all about. Lol.

The island portion is where the episode was a little slower - Jin, Sun, Rose, Benard, and Desmond just kind of chilling back at the beach is kind of weird consdiering everything that is going on right now on the island. I know why they arent trying to overcrowd the scenes, but I would like to see them get a little more involved. The braclet was a fun new mystery to debate about on the forums and I did like how Ben is apprently Jason Bourne in disguise with all the passports. Ben should have a very informative FB coming up in the second part of the season. Like I said, the island scenes were a little slow at times, but the FF was able to more then make up for it. I am going to go ahead and classify this as the "worst" season four episode - but thats a fantastic think given how many great things I have had to say about it.
< 1 2 3