Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• Sayid sold his soul (Spoilers)

I was really confused after the first time I saw "The Economist". A second look helped, but I still think it was probably the most confusing episode of Lost so far. I mean, they really wanted to mess with our heads with this one.

This episode, although not as good as the previous one, presented a ton of new mysteries. For every answer (Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6; he became a hitman after he left the island) there was about 100 new questions (how exactly the "time diference" on the island works? why Sayid became a hitman? Why he's working for Ben? and so on...). Nothing new if you watching it since the Pilot, but there was A LOT of new questions, more than the usual.

"The Economist" is a "slower" episode. The problem is the writers and the director couldn't disguise that very well. There is even a joke about those moments when nothing is happening: When Faraday asks Lapidus for the phone because "they were sitting there doing nothing". Maybe it was a good thing. I don't know if we could keep up with so many new information in a "action style" episode, but still it's something that bothers from time to time. Sayid's FF is really intriguing but finds it's best moment in the end. My only problem was Michael Emerson's attempt to disguise his voice until the revelation. From the moment Sayid enters the room and his boss start to talk, anyone can tell who it is. The conections between what happens in the island and the FF are great too (just like the best FB episodes): Is curious when you see Sayid, on island, asking Ben what does he know about friendship and saying he'll never trust Ben, and later in the episode you find out that Sayid is doing the exact opposite off the island. All in all, a very good episode that will keep people occupied, rewatching it or making new theories until the next one.
G4