Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• Very good script, one of the best yet

The Economist" is not as frantically paced as the last two episodes in this season, and at first look doesn't quite reveal as much. At first look. The more I think about this episode the more I realize that this season is possibly the first to begin revealing little by little part of the overall story at work here. Season Four's seasonal arc, with the addition of flashforwards, appears to be more directly related to the bigger mythology of the series than any season arc before it. I'm very excited to say the least.

In this episode's island events Sayid engineers a trade with Locke, giving him Miles in exchange for Charlotte, Kate chooses to stay at the Barracks with Sawyer, leaving Jack miserable, Daniel tries an experiment which adds to suggestions of a time warp, and most importantly: Sayid happens upon Ben's stash of passports and clothing, presumably used for his trips off the island.

This episode was a Sayid flashforward, and though not especially revealing with regard to his character, it was certainly interesting, even before the shocking ending this episode had. Sayid is, and I'm assuming you've seen the episode if you read past the spoiler warnings, working for Ben. Yes, none other than Benjamin Linus. Here's what interested me most: this basically changes the concept that Ben is 'the island guy' by informing us that he has not only left the island, but that he appears to be working within a much larger scheme of things. The reveal that Sayid is working essentially as a hit-man in Ben's service is not just interesting in itself, it's also interesting in that it appears that Sayid is doing it in exchange for protection of his 'friends'. I'm assuming this means the Oceanic Six and those on the island, but it's entirely possible it's something we haven't seen yet.

Is Ben working in opposition to Abbadon? Which group are the bad and which are the good? Is it really that clear-cut? I don't think it is. I think good and bad are becoming far, far more ambiguous as this show moves forward.

All in all: another exceptional episode of the series and more indication that LOST is moving forward in a far more confident manner than it has ever done before. Kudos to the writers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, this is their best script to date.

Stay Lost!