Lost

The Economist

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• Apparently, Sayid sold his soul.

After finishing this episode, most of us Lost fans definitely did think "What an amazing episode". But the truth is that, if the last 3 minutes were cut, we would've thought: "What a bad episode".

I'm not really a fan of rating episodes high just because they have a good ending but this is one of the few episodes where I feel I can do that.

First of all, the island portion of this episode was rather weak. Not so much dull, but predictable and quite honestly, nothing exciting. Season 4's island portion has started very strong with TBOTE, then fell a bit with CD, and now continues falling with "The Economist".

Sayid, Miles and Kate trekking to Locke's camp to get Charlotte wasn't too exciting to start with. And the idea of it wasn't too great either - at this point the last thing one would want to see is a trek on the island. The two scenes I enjoyed were Hurley acting as if he was betrayed by Locke(nicely played!) and Ben interacting with Sayid. Those were great, and really boosted the rating. But the rest?

Dan's experiement which proved that there's a time anomaly on the island would've been brilliant if it wasn't for the really awkward writing. Jack and Frank simply IGNORING Dan and what he just proved(while they were standing next to him) was very very unrealistic. Sawyer managed to get Kate to stay with him - not a good scene either. Very forced, I really felt no chemistry between them like I usually do.

The last set of island scenes were good though, Sayid leaving on the chopper with Desmond and Frank. Great music and fantastic directing.

Now as for the flashforwards: they were very decent. Opened with a nice surprise: Sayid is off the island and he kills a man - then turns out he is a hitman working for someone - then the Alias / James Bond-esque romance ( hook up with the enemy ), then the great twist that the "enemy" was aware of it all along, and then the mindblowing reveal who Sayid is working for.

It was a nice spy story told in only about 15 minutes. Surely, it's not something incredibly revolutionary, but the fact that Sayid is back to his roots was very nice to watch.

Oh, and the reveal; Sayid is working for Ben! He is off the island too! And obviously is NOT part of the Oceanic Six. Out of all the scenes / moments so far this season, this has been the most important thus far and easily this is the scene that created the most theories amongst the fans. An excellent twist that really shocked me; I was literally frozen for a few minutes after finishing the episode.

Overall, the flashforward's greatness and the amazing twist made me appreciate this episode alot more. The island plot rates a weak-ish 7/10, but the rest is a solid 9.5/10.

Averaging that we get a nice 8.3. Above average episode.