Lost

The Incident (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 13, 2009 on ABC

• We're the good guys.

Frank: In my experience, the people who go out of their way to tell you they're the good guys, are the bad guys.
  • Is it just me?

Is it just me or is this show to frazzled? I've watched this show from the begining, but now Im only watching Lost because I want to know what's going to happen. I've watched it for five years now and want to see the end I'm been waiting for these past years. It's just so unreal with all this stuff. Like a bomb would prevent this whole thing that we've been watching. The writer lost his thing or what to say for three years ago. I hope that the season finale of season 6 will be good or I will regret I ever saw Lost. Overall this episode was pretty good still it was to sad in the end. Josh Holloway is the reason I watch lost ;)
  • It's not just you, it's me. What the heck was THAT?

Wow, this felt rushed, poorly acted and cheesy and I hoped it wasn't going to play like it did after the last few episodes - where it felt like the wheels were starting to come off this show. I was loving this season, it had a lot of neat moments that really seemed they were tying up nicely over the course of the season arc. The time travel / parallel timelines twists and constant back references and nods made this season really enjoyable and compelling viewing, until... We see Jacob and now all of a sudden he's EVERYWHERE, and he kinda always was, see? The Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet thing finally got on my nerves, and Jack and Saywer have a argument while Sayid is bleeding to death in the van?! Seriously? What happened to Ben? He's a bloody big sook! Locke's a reincarnated a-hole and that shoehorned-in bunch from the new plane turn back up with his body... Jacob, someone who I've really only just met gets stabbed and I DON'T CARE! Also, 'they're coming...', Who is it NOW? Don't tell me the Jack/Sawyer/Kate bunch are suddenly going to appear on the beach with the Locke/Ben/Ricardus mob. Either that or it's another freighter, or aliens, or the OTHER others. Tragically a lot of the characters just seemed to be making a cameo appearance, and making really dumb decisions. I could go on but I'm pushing the number of question and exclamation marks I can use in one review. Certainly this was the one of the worst Lost moments for me, even more than some of the early episodes of Season Three.

I love Lost, even when most people I knew had given up watching it a long time ago, I'd always cite it as being one of my favourite shows. It's only been getting better & better, with that wobbly bit in Season Three, but I'm worried that its just Jumped the Shark - maybe two at once.

Roll on Season Six!
  • Lost sets the bar even higher.

WOW! First words that come to my mind to describe this episode are mind blowing! Words are hard to find, this is something you have to witness yourself to understand what kind of amazing ride that was.
    This episode had it all. Tension, drama, suspense, intensity, mysteries, mythology, answers, craziness,cliffhangers and hell even its sweet moments.

Let`s start with the opener. It was an instant OMG moment. Conversation between Jacob and his,what seem to be enemy. Anyway, the conversation was cool and pretty mysterious as always. Seeing the statue again was amazing. A word on the casting choice of Jacob. I think it is a great one. I understand, people expected somebody maybe older...perhaps in line with what we saw in our first meeting with Jacob in Season 3. Chances are that it may not have been Jacob after all when Ben took Locke in the cabin. Anyway, good choice of actor in my opinion. He`s cool and the character perfectly executed.

Meanwhile, Jack was more than decided to stick to his plan. How Jack has changed. Love the "don`t give up on Locke" line to Richard. I think that describe the character change perfectly.

One of the very rare thing I`ve not enjoyed so much in these 2 eps is perhaps Sawyer-Julliete relationship. First off, it has not really been developed..so not really used to it. What I don`t like about it is what Sawyer has become. I love the not very likeable guy we all loved back in the days. I understand he has matured a lot and all but here the whole Sawyer-Julliete thing was underwhelming. I mean, it was like Sawyer was taking orders with the changes of mind and all.

Now that being said, the first time that relationship felt real was of course in the closing moments of the eps, during the incident. A real tearjerker that was perfectly acted by Josh Holloway and Elizabeth Mitchell. Very moving to say the least.

Sawyer-Jack fight was cool..just had to happen. The incident at Swan station was again perfectly executed. There was such a tensed and uncertain atmosphere. Very suspenseful and sad also. Miles made an excellent point about the possibility that the bomb going off could be the actual incident. The ending was WOW and so cruel also cause the hiatus is so long. It was a game changing event and Elizabeth Mitchell did an amazing job here.
    Now, up to Mr. "Locke" and co. Great to see Frank back...love the character. Good to see more about the Ajira survivors too. The scene at Jacob`s "home" was amazing. That was almost 3 seasons in the making. Loved it. There was a lot of shockers in the episodes but the absolute major shocker here is no doubt that Locke was actually not Locke. That`s freaking mind blowing. The revelation was perfectly handled..I almost yelled "if this is Locke, then who is in there" line along with Sun. Theories are flowing big time about this. Ben kills Jacob (which is not something I really wanted to see)...actually manipulated by Smokey/Evil/bad guy or whoever he is. Brilliant! My mind is blown! This is yet another game changer and the line "things will change when he dies" may well be a description of the future of the show.

On now to the flashbacks/forwards. They were amazing. How ironic is it that everyone of the losties actually met Jacob. Connections were perfectly(getting tired typing this word)made.

There were some sweet moments too in here. It was nice seeing Rose and Bernard.Very heartwarming to see how they are living a happy life in there...was also kinda funny. Nice moment too see Charlie`s ring too.

So who`s the guy impersonating Locke?? Smokey?? Did he impersonate Christian too? Has we seen the last of Jacob? Julliet dead? If she is, doesn`t it mean they all are? Are they back to real time??? Did Jack`s plan went well? If Julliete is gone, how will Sawyer ever forgive Jack?? Did Sayid survive?? Is this whole thing god vs the devil... playing their endless game of good vs evil? ETC................. Long hiatus, full of theories and question as Lost enters its final chapter next year. Until then, thank you writers and hats off.
  • Flawless, Superlative!

All of these words describe this episode of LOST. But the bottom line is as follows: LOST equals perfection!!!!! What a phenomenal season finale; perfect finale!

A-OK, absolute, accomplished, aces, adept, beyond compare, blameless, classical, consummate, crowning, culminating, defect less, excellent, excelling, experienced, expert, faultless, finished, foolproof, ideal, immaculate, impeccable, in-defectible, matchless, out-of-this-world, Paradise, paradisaical, peerless, pure, skilled, skillful, sound, splendid, spotless, stainless, sublime, superb, supreme, ten, unblemished, unequaled, unmarred, untainted, untarnished, Utopian, abstract, airy, ambitious, Arcadian, chimerical, dream, fanciful, fantasy, grandiose, hopeful, idealist, idealistic, ideological, illusory, impossible, impractical, lofty, otherworldly, perfect, pie-in-the-sky, pretentious, quixotic, romantic, transcendental, unfeasible, visionary, bright, clean, error less, exquisite, faultless, flawless, impeccable, irreproachable, neat, pure, snowy, spotless, spruce, stainless, taint-less, trim, unexceptionable, unsoiled, unsullied.
  • Yet another amazing installment of lost and a superb finale to set up the final season of one of the best shows of all time.

It is amazing how well written each and every season finale of lost is. Its also amazing because not many shows are able to completely satisfy a large majority of the fanbase with a finale while other shows seriously struggle with wrapping up a season yet still creating questions to make sure the viewer will be back for the next season, for example; Heroes is unable to satisfy people with their finales, even with the amazing first season of heroes, it didnt have a very stellar finish to the season. I thought this finale was amazing for a lot of reasons, first off, the acting was even more amazing than usual with great effort by Matthew Fox, Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn. While the season finale does create even more questions reguarding the next season, it also answers the most used question in the lost universe, "who is jacob". Although i was sort of expecting Jacob to be someone we had already met, i though it was amazing how they tied him into the past of a majority of the main characters on the island. Also, the storyline was extremely well done with tons of plot twist and superb action. It's sad to think that Lost only has 17 more hours to go, but it has been an amazing ride and the fifth season was one of the best yet! thank you to everyone on the set that has helped make lost so special!
  • We find out who Jacob is and what lies in the shadow of the statue. This episode sucks b/C it introduced a new character and a new story line that just doesn't make sense. As soon as we meet Jacob, a character that is a fraud kills him like a beetach!

I want to summarize what happen in this episode, but it was complicated. Jacob has encountered ever major character of Lost for reasons I don't understand. I will list what significant stuff happened in this episode. The bomb has been donated. Juliet is most likely dead. We find out what happen to the Korean's doctors arm. The other people on the plan have a body that they need to show Richard. If you have seen "Dead is Dead", then the body in the coffin makes no sense; none! Someone kills Jacob at the end. Locke is not Locke. The new Locke is this character at the beginning of the episode that doesn't like Jacob. For all the people who said that the characters are in a continuous loop, your right! Another thing, Richard most likely came on the Blackrock ship. The only reason why I rated this show so high is because Jacob has nice taste in clothes. I'm a fashion man myself! One very good thing about this episode is that the old couple is doing well!
  • The end of both John Locke and Jacob as we know them.

The most disturbing season finale starts with the flashback of the Black Rock arrival as Jacob remembers it, doomed to a loophole that repeats over and over another man swears this will be the last as he'll find a way to kill him.

Throughout the episode, different flashbacks shows Jacob taking contact with the castaways through several points in their lives: the funeral of Sawyer's parents, Kate's first theft, Jack's first surgery, the first day Jin & Sun spent as husband and wife, the last time Sayid ever saw Nadia and so on, the only one Jacob doesn't contact is a younger Juliet...

And yet is older Juliet the hero of this story, as every attempt to change history fails once the drill actually hits the magnetic core of the island is our sweet, brave Juliet, the most capable woman Ben could find to fix the pregnancy issue and the only woman Jim "Sawyer" LaFleur ever committed to the one who finally detonates the hydrigen bomb leaving us hanging in our seats for a shocking next season.

For it was not a plane crash what they were meant to stop, it was not the incident, not even the Dharma Initiative but rather the murder of "He who will save us all" the answer Illana, Bram and the rest finally receive from Ricard Alpert as they show him the content of the box they were carrying: the body of our beloved John Locke as dead as the day Jack took the Ajira 316 flight. Meanwhile, in the shadow of the statue, the man who we thought was John Locke has finally killed Jacob just as he swore he would ...when the Black Rock arrived.
  • The best cliff-hanger since the season 3 finale of The Next Generation.

I wasn't monitoring the time to be sure when part I ended and part II began, so I will be referring to both. I'd like to start out by saying that I gave this a 10, and while some might argue that most of the episode is pointless and leads the viewers on a false ride, I feel that the drama was good, the action was packed in, and the intrigue was certainly there.

The episode starts off in an undefined past time. We see a man spinning thread and weaving a tapestry (can anyone say symbolism?). This man walks out onto a beach, and we see that he was inside of the giant statue, or "in the shadow of the statue. This man is wearing a white shirt. He is approached by a man in a black shirt (again, can anyone say symbolism?). I'm thinking... hmmmm... black shirt... black SMOKE MONSTER!?! and if that's the case, could that mean that the man in the white shirt is... wait a minute! There is a boat off in the distance. Could that be the Black Roc? The man in the black shirt does not seem to be happy that they are coming. He looks to the man in the white shirt and says he'd like to find the loop hole to be able to kill and and calls him, you may have guessed, JACOB!!!

The episode proceeds to show us flashbacks involving all of the characters and an encounter they've had with Jacob. (All except for Juliet whose flashback is Jacob free) We find out that Jacob supplies an 8 year old Sawyer with the pen to write his letter to the man responsible for the deaths of his parents. Jacob keeps a very young Kate from getting into trouble when she robs a store. Jacob prevents Sayid from crossing a street with his wife who is run down by a car infront of his very eyes. Jacob congratulates Sun and Jin as they are getting married and advises them never to take their love or each other for granted. He oversees an argument between Jack and his father, in which Jack's father calls him out on not having faith in himself. Jacob "revives" John after the fall that lands him into a wheelchair. And lastly, Jacob is the one who convinces Hurley to return to the island. I suppose it could be said the he intervened in the lives of each character at some seemly small, but in actuality crucial part. Juliet's flashback involved her parents telling her and her sister of their intentions to get a divorce. Juliet does not take the news well, and her parents tell her that sometimes you have to recognize when you are not meant to be with someone (or something to that effect). Juliet sees the way that Sawyer looks at Kate and realizes that even though she loves him and he loves her, and would probably stick by her, they do not belong together. Juliet takes action on the sub when Kate says they must get off to stop Jack. Once off the sub, when she hears Jack's plea, she takes action to help Jack. A part of her feels that if she can prevent Sawyer and herself from getting together, she can prevent the hurt of losing him.

Sayid helps Jack extract the plutonium core from the bomb, which is much easier to carry and is all that is needed to cause the explosion necessary to put their plan into action. They are attacked by members of the Dharma initiative and Sayid is shot at point blank range in the stomach. Jin, Hurley and Miles show up in the Dharma van and haul them off to the Swan site.

Sawyer and ladies intercept the van, and Sawyer tries to change Jack's mind. He tells Jack about the death of his parents and how he had the chance to take the sub and keep his father from killing his mother and himself, but that he didn't, because "what's done is done." Jack doesn't see it that way and admits that his driving motivation in changing the future is to prevent the heartbrake of losing Kate. Sawyer decides when his words fail to change Jack's mind, to use his fists and Jack and Sawyer finally duke it out after 3 years (for them, 5 for us). Juliet stops the fights and sides with Jack. Everyone backs Jack up at this point. Jack approaches the hole that the Dharma guys are drilling into, which will cause "the incident" and throws the bomb in, only the bomb doesn't detinate, the drill cannot be stop and it releases the pocket of electro magnetic energy causing everything that is magnetic to be pulled towards the hole. Miles is able to save his father's life when he becomes entangled in the metalic mess. Juliet gets caught in a metal chain and is pulled into the hole. Sawyer and Kate try desperately to save her but it is in vain.

Meanwhile, in the present, Locke tells Ben that he must kill Jacob. They reach the foot of the statue where Jacob resides and go inside. Jacob looks at Locke and tells him he finally has found his loophole. He looks at Ben and tells Ben he has a choice to make. Ben is tested by Jacob, and Ben kills him, meanwhile outside of the statue Illana shows up with her crew carrying a box with secret contents. They dump the contents out to reveal a familiar body.

As my friends and I were watching, they asked me, "Alex, what question would you like to be answered by the end?" I told them, Lost typically doesn't instill questions in me. I feel that I follow pretty well, I make my predictions, sometimes I'm wrong. I said that they only thing I wanted to see was everyone propelled back into the future, I did not want it to end with a big FLASH, where you didn't know what happened. They all laughed and said LOST would never do that. That it always ends with some question being answered and a new one being asked. When Ben stabbed Jacob, he fell to his knees and looked at John and said "their coming." My friends all assumed that he was talking about Illana and her crew, but I'll bet anyone that he was talking about our guys stuck in the past. We won't know for certain though, because sure enough, LOST ended with a BANG! ...and a flash ;)
  • Best finale of television.

It all came down to this - the entire show was building up to this very moment. The real chance to make everything right. To prevent the crash, to erase all the things that happened, all the miserable things, and to bring back all the people that were lost.

And to finally reveal the two sides - who's good, who's bad, who's Jacob, who's Christian...

The finale did a brilliant job keeping the story and character in balance. We finally saw all the flashbacks we wanted, and more. The whole episode had a season 1 vibe to it, which is welcome. But each flashback had something.. or someone in common. Jacob.

Yes, he's revealed, and his nemesis is too. There is a man, who wants to kill Jacob, but he can't do it himself, so he tries to find a loophole. And he finally found his: Locke. To understand all this, you need to watch the episode. It's just brilliant. The cold open is one of the best scenes of the show, if not the best.

Probably not. The best scene is most likely the ending with Ben and notLocke killing Jacob, thus having notLocke as the ultimate leader of the island. The evil has won? Well, not yet.

And of course, Juliet's last scene - the very last scene of the episode, where she blows up the nuke. There's acting, good acting, fantastic acting, and then there's this. If you didn't tear up at Elizebath Mitchell's beyond amazing performance, then you have no soul . The desperation, the struggle, the hopelessness was never portrayed so perfectly.

And the scene was capped off with the most brilliant ending of an episode ever: inverting the Lost logo - black text on white background. Ah, awesome.

Overall, this is the best episode of the show, and television, quite possibly. An amazing thrillride that gave us the last remaining pieces to unlock the mythology of Lost. See you in 8 months.
  • Here's what is really happening on the island

Two diametrically opposed forces of order and chaos exist on an island outside time, reliving the same loop for an eternity.

The loop begins when the Black Rock, carrying Ricardus and his people, brings the first outsiders to paradise.

Jacob, avatar of order, maintains the skeins of history as he makes sure key figures make the right choices.

Chaos, wanting to kill Order and break the cycle, is a formless black smoke when not taking on a physical form from a deceased individual whose memories it has scanned and absorbed.

Locke came face to face with Smokey back in season one, and with his corpse back on the island Chaos finally had the loophole it needed to kill order.

"Two sides... One side is light, the other side is dark." - John Locke, season 1.
  • 'The Incident's second instalment takes all the promise of the first and realises it tenfold, providing one hell of a viewing experience that'll have you punching the air, scratching your head, screaming at your TV and blubbing like a baby.

'The Incident's second instalment takes all the promise of the first and realises it tenfold, providing one hell of a viewing experience that'll have you punching the air, scratching your head, screaming at your TV and blubbing like a baby, all in equal measure. This is a roller-coaster ride for the emotions, jostling constantly between delivering satisfying character development and nail-biting dramatic tension, while throwing in a weighty amount of explanation and (as is to be expected) mystery to boot. The two major events - the race to the Swan and the race to Jacob - both come to stellar crescendos that threaten to change the shape of the show forever.

First, Jack Sheppard's mission to change history. This is fantastically intense stuff, with gun battles blazing here, there and everywhere, electromagnetic catastrophes threatening to cause the end of the world and a slue of brilliant two-handers between characters. Jack and Sawyer's fight in the jungle is a particularly strong example of this; the scene starts out refreshingly calm as, for once, the two share a semblance of honesty with each other and outline their entirely believable motives, but then, predictably, all hell breaks loose. With every aggressive punch to the face, the viewer feels every inch of Sawyer's pain, his reluctance to give up all that he has worked so hard for and come to love. And with every bloody retort, we yearn for Jack's troubled past to be erased, for all the sorrow he has to endure to disappear. The strength of our emotional investment in these most three-dimensional of characters keeps the debate at the core of the storyline completely ambivalent; it is incredibly difficult to side with either party because we understand so deeply, and care so significantly, about both of them. Matthew Fox and Josh Holloway are absolutely fantastic throughout the episode, not only in this particular scene. The former excels particularly in his storming of the Swan site, while the latter absolutely nails both of his harrowing moments with Juliet. The first of these seems a little absurd initially, as his lover effectively abandons their relationship for 'the greater good' or some such crap (the flashback sequence that clarifies her position seems rather artificial and out of place), but gradually, thanks in no small part to the incredible skill of both Holloway and Elizabeth Mitchell, the viewer is able to buy into their plight. The second excruciatingly emotional scene, however, is an absolute beaut from start to finish, as they desperately cling to one another in the midst of 'the incident'. There is nothing mawkish or clichéd about the moment, despite it being an oft-used conceit, because the dialogue is laconic and believable and the actors completely sell every terrifying beat. Holloway manages to pull off intense emotion through a combination of reserve and vocal despair, while Mitchell's oscillation between resigned calm and palatable fear makes her final 'I love you' and willingness to let go all the more poignant. It's an incredibly sad moment, (almost) signalling the end of one of the most loved characters on the show.

Of course, Juliet's actual (apparent) death comes at hour's end when she seemingly manages to detonate the hydrogen bomb. This has to be the single most infuriating cliffhanger since the opening of the hatch in season one. Leaving us on the realisation of the most intriguing trope in the narrative, without any semblance of a hint as to where this may ultimately take us, would seem like a bit of a kick in the teeth if it weren't for the fact that the show does it with such unquestionable style and panache. It's one hell of a point to leave the audience pondering for the next eight months, that's for sure. Is this going to change the course of events? Will this cause Oceanic 815 to actually arrive at its destination, rather than crash on the Island? It is very tempting to think that this is too simple a course for the narrative, especially when one takes the realisation of 'the incident' into consideration. Rather than have the bomb detonate immediately upon its launch down the shaft, Cuse and Lindelof begin the process of the electromagnetic release that causes Chang to lose his arm (very nice touch) and will ultimately lead to the change in the Swan station's purpose. No plot points that we know to have occurred post-1977 are changed here: Radzinsky and Chang both survive, while a number of others die. Is it possible, therefore, that the detonation of the bomb will simply have actually occurred as part of 'the incident' in the timeline as we know it? Will it somehow not be a cataclysmic event that destroys the Island? Will it react with the electromagnetic energy and cause something else to happen? Will it somehow propel the '77 Losties to 2007? Who knows? The writers' continued reiteration of the importance of the fact that 'whatever happened, happened' seems to dissuade the viewer from believing that Jack's plan has actually succeeded.

However, when one takes Jacob's little dalliances through our central characters' histories into consideration, further questions are raised: it certainly seems like he is giving everyone 'a little push' (to quote his scene with Jack) in order to get to where they are now. His scene with Hurley, in particular, hints strongly at this. Thus, is it possible that Jacob is using the '77 Losties to somehow prevent his untimely death in 2007? When he mutters the foreboding line "they're coming" before he is callously kicked into the fire, could he be referring to Kate, Sawyer, Miles, Jin, Jack and Hurley (and maybe Juliet if we're lucky)? Is he using them to change history and therefore prevent things occurring as they do here? Or is it that he has to get them to this place in 2007, but hasn't done so in time? So many questions and so much time to debate them... but the fact that any show can generate such a great level of intrigue, never mind a one as consistently well-written as Lost, deserves nothing but the highest of praise.

And it's not like they stop at 1977, oh no. The contemporary (well, almost) storyline is equally as loaded with beguiling material, ready to be picked at, scrutinised and over-analysed until January 2010. Once again, Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson outshine every other member of the cast, knocking not one, not two, but about twenty five out of the park with each passing moment, and it's made all the more impressive by the fact that their characters are both stepping outside of the box somewhat: Locke in his continued confidence and unusual manner and Ben in his subservience and honesty. Of course, Lindelof and Cuse proceed to give us a fantastic explanation as to the course of events, revealing that the bald headed one is, in fact, dead as doornails and that the man claiming to be the Others' leader is 'the other guy' from the opening scene of part one. Now then. There's a great deal of valid analysis to be made here and it's predicated on the notion that this 'opposing' force, Jacob's equal, if you will, is, in fact, the smoke monster (or indeed, that the smoke monster is a manifestation, a form, of this man). To begin, the 'white/black' parallel is implicit in both the dialogue and the clothing of the pair in 'The Incident's opening scene, which obviously ties to Smokey's favourite colour. Then there is the mural on the wall of the Temple in 'Dead is Dead', which clearly shows an Egyptian figure, identical to the statue (you know, the one that Jacob lives in), making some form of pact with a creature that looks rather like the monster. This suggests that the two have a symbiotic relationship, and it certainly isn't a stretch to believe that it is based on being bound to an agreement to 'look after' the Island, to be its caretakers. And finally, we have Smokey's penchant for creating manifestations of the dead, from Emi, Eko's brother, to, more recently, Alex, Ben's daughter. Within the confines of the show's mythology, it would therefore be entirely possible for him to manifest as Locke, now that he is deceased. It certainly all seems to tie together, with only the exact specifics of the 'loop-hole' that allow for Jacob's death remaining somewhat oblique. One possible interpretation of this is that, because only the 'leader' can see him, it could only ever be this person who could potentially kill him. Obviously, John is not the leader of the Others at this point because he is dead; therefore, the title falls on the last person to occupy the position... Ben. The moment between Linus and his much-revered superior is exquisitely executed. The juxtaposition of Ben's pent-up rage and hate and Jacob's calmness and serenity really intensifies the tension in the scene, and the fact that Pellegrino offers him a choice only makes things all the more poignant. This is top class stuff, providing the perfect marriage between satisfying revelation and tantalising mystery, and setting up an even more grandiose 'battle for the Island' in the sixth season than perhaps we were expecting.

The final part of 'The Incident' is the kind of edge-of-your-seat television that leaves you reeling for hours, days and, most certainly in Lost's case, months on end. The realisation of the finale's two-handed dramatic apex is absolutely superb on both fronts: the 1977 strand is loaded with excitement and emotion, while the contemporary plot draws together some of the show's key elements, hinting at, if not entirely delivering, answers that we've been craving for a very long time. It certainly looks like we are setting up for one hell of a battle in the show's final year, and it is very rewarding to feel like the pieces are finally beginning to slot into place. While the cliffhanger will have you screaming insanely at your television set for about three quarters of an hour, that just demonstrates that Lindelof and Cuse have achieved exactly what they set out to. After watching this, there's no way in hell you're going to miss season six. Roll on January.
  • A Jacob-centric episode.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. This was such a shocking and exciting season finale! All of the storylines were great, especially Sawyer's storyline which was my favorite storyline of the episode. All of the flashbacks of Jacob interacting with various members of flight Oceanic 815 were great. I found the whole reveal about Locke extremely shocking. I didn't see that coming at all. It was really exciting to finally find out what the Incident was. I have to say that I absolutely loved Juliet in this episode. I'm so sad about Juliet apparently getting killed off the show since she has been one of my favorite characters on the show ever since season three when she joined the show. Although, I think that Elizabeth Mitchell gave an absolutely amazing performance in this episode, especially in the scene where she's talking to Sawyer before she falls down that hole and in the very last scene of the episode where we see that Juliet is still alive and apparently detonates the bomb. That was such a surprising and heartbreaking scene. Also, I loved how they did the reversal of the colors on the Lost logo at the end of the episode. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted, well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait for the sixth and final season of Lost to start so I can find out what happens next.
  • The season finale of Lost.

Not the best season concluder in show history, but I think it was good enough to sustain the world until the final epic season arrives in 2010. I almost lost it when Juliet was desperately trying to detonate the bomb at the end, and surprisingly she did. Of course anything is better than being trapped in a 50 feet deep pit but won't she be back where she started working under Ben?

I do not like the actor playing Jacob and did not like a new character being so dominantly featured in the season finale, only to get killed. And what does this mean Christian Shepherd was when he was on the island?

Was this the best season finale this year? Possibly, but we still have a few more to go so you never know.
  • How does The Incident hold up compared to classic LOST finales? (You won't be happy with what I have to say)

I dare say, this might be the weakest of Lost's 5 season finales. 2 hours, and only the last 15 minutes were good. I always hate "he-was-there-all-along" type of reveals in anything, and here, we got that with Jacob and all the major island castaways. It's a cheap storytelling device that I absolutely cannot stand. See, he knows everyone, and might be connected with their destinies, but will that ever be explained because just as we got to know him, they kill him. Never mind the fact that he looks nothing like the figure we saw in the rocking chair. (Man Behind the Curtain)

The Swan firefight bored me a bit, ran, too long, and seeing Jack play Rambo just doesn't fit the character. Sure he's had scuffles before, but he definitely looked like a professional with that gun last night. Weird. I did like when the gang drove in to back him up, but the whole sequence seemed like it was out of a whole other show (namely 24) I also would have liked Sawyer to take out Phil. Short-changed on the payback stick there.

Jack and Juliet's motivations for setting off the bomb bothered me a lot. I thought Jack might be thinking in "big picture" terms like Faraday had said. Undoing all their misery, saving lost lives, a second chance at everything. But no- it's all because of Kate. That made me want to gag. Juliet knows Sawyer still loves Kate, which also disappointed me (3 years, people!) So she decided "If I never met you, I won't have to lose you." Gag me twice. You guys want to alter the space/time continuum over your lovers? Really? How high school of them. I guess it might not have been so bad if there was a lot more going on. But so many characters just didn't do much. Lapidus just kind of hung around. Sun just kind of hung around. Jin just kinda hung around. (All this time and effort and they still weren't reunited?) Sayid (my favorite character) was shot, so he had no choice but to hang around, while dying. Hurley drove a van. Miles threw in his two cents. Desmond was a no show, and there was absolutely no sign of Claire this season. Normally, Lost finales give everyone their due and while not answering series questions, they do a good job of tying up season threads, so the lack of that last night was a bit odd.

I get the sense that beach scene was closure for Rose and Bernard. They're done. And I actually liked that part. I'm guessing we won't see them again until their skeletons at the bottom of the lagoon (S1). Rose and Old Man Bernard was just a snippet of a few things I did like in the finale. Here are some others:

The Locke reveal knocked my F'ing socks off! I knew, I KNEW there was something about New Locke I didn't like- and I'd been harping on about it for months! Ever since "Dead is Dead" (oh the irony!) New Locke was just too cocky! There's a whole new level of creepy now when looking at this Doppelganger, and it sends a legit chill down my spine. (well done, Terry O'Quin! You can see it in the eyes...) This unnamed man, the Omega perhaps to Jacob's Alpha, has found a loophole in an unnamed rule regarding being able to kill his old acquaintance. I'm reminded of the S2 finale where it seemed like the whole story, everything we'd been through, was just a piece of the bigger picture that is Desmond and Penny. Here, there is the feeling that the entire story of LOST, it's mythologies and secrets, rests in the conflict between Jacob and (Esau?). How Dead Christian fits into this, and the Smoke monster (who ordered been to follow this clone) is beyond perplexing. The Ajira guys turned out to be useful after all- but we still have no clue who they are, and I'm a bit frustrated with that.

I liked the Jack and Sawyer's fight. Finally airing out 5 seasons of differences in an excellent bare-knuckled brawl! Ben's speech to Jacob. Once again, I'm asking for an Emmy for Michael Emmerson.

Sawyer's reaction to Juliet's death. I can't remember ever seeing him cry like that! Wow.

But if I could throw in one last side-note about Juliet. I nearly teared up when she fell in that hole. Her death would have been another risky, ballsy move in a great list of risky, ballsy moves from LOST. But no. It turned out she was still alive after all that! What surely looked like at least a 50ft drop, coupled with the crushing collapse of giant lead pipes? And she was still alive? It ripped me right out of the reality of the show.
    Maybe I've been watching too much Heroes, but this reeked of contrivance. Sure she finally set the damn thing off, and being directly near it she should be dead. But now, because of the nature of the show, there is the possibility she might not be. Maybe she'll be special like Desmond now. (I wouldn't mind seeing her running around the jungle, naked and precognitive. ;) Lost finales are such huge events, outside of the Superbowl and The Oscars, there isn't another televised event I get more excited about. But considering I can't think of too much to take away from this finale besides one cool reveal, I'm slightly disappointed. (Their cliffhanger is the the same question that's been driving the last batch of episodes: will they change the past/future?- and it STILL hasn't been answered! Arg!)
  • Jack's plan reaches its conclusion; Juliet has a really, REALLY bad day; Locke turns out to not be quite who he claims; Ben performs a shocking stunt; Oh, yeah, and Jack and Sawyer pummel each other.

I don't exactly know which events happened in which part of the Season 5 finale, so my review may be a little choppy. Sorry!

Wow, Wow, WOW!! I feel like my mind was taken apart, and completely rebuilt last night, by the sheer shock value of this episode. Everything was so touching, and intense!

Rose and Bernard finally reappeared, and it was kind of sweet. They seem happy, so that's nice for them. I don't think they will play much of a role in Season 6, by the looks of things.

Desmond and Claire were both notably absent from this episode. I can understand Claire's absence, although I half-expected her to show up at the last moment... However, Desmond!? Why wasn't he involved with ANY of the major storylines this season? Geez.

Seeing Charlie's 'Drive Shaft' ring was very sweet. There were a lot of sweet little moments in this season finale, including Sayid being happily together with Nadia. I hope Sun and Jin can reunite in Season 6, though.

It was nice to see the mystery of Dr. Chang losing his arm revealed. Another big reveal? John Locke is DEAD!! Jacob's enemy, an unnamed ancient man that lived on the Island hundreds of years ago, has been reanimating his spirit all this time!! Talk about a big shock! I now have a new, even larger respect for Terry O'Quinn's acting than before -- he executed this double-agent role flawlessly. It was incredible. It also explains the reason why the compass paradox can exist.

My hat also goes off to Michael Emmerson's acting. Killing Jacob was such a climactic, intense event. I like how that storyline was written, although now I wonder what kind of role Jacob's enemy will play without Jacob actually being around...

Now, for the best written storyline -- Juliet Burke. Apparently, she is pretty much a goner. But the acting... The writing... It was STUNNING. SO incredibly well done! She rocked the finale so hard. I loved everything about Elizabeth Mitchell's performance, and the cliffhanger? Ahh!!!!

The finale wasn't exactly perfect. Desmond's absence was pretty weird. The first half was definitely not on the same level as the second, more thrilling half. But the writing was so excellent, and the acting was great, too. Next season will be truly unreal, I think!
  • The finale that changes everything

The best thing about "Lost" is how well misdirection is applied. The writers don't pull a fast one on the audience; they simply present information in such a way that the truth is right there in plain view, but it becomes difficult to see past the red herrings. In this case, many had pointed out the evidence that something unusual was going on with Locke, yet it was easy to dismiss what was right there on the screen. Needless to say, much the speculation surrounding Jacob and Locke was somewhat off the mark.

This episode actually begins to explain some of the symbolism built into the series since the very first season. Going back to the earliest episodes, there was a constant reference to black and white stones, representing a light and dark side to motives, events, and the island itself. (Note that Jacob wears white; his rival wears black.) At the same time, Jack saw his father, seemingly brought back to life by the island.

After seeing so many apparently dead individuals return to life, most recently John Locke, it was easy to assume that Jacob was the one behind it. After all, Ben took Locke to Jacob's cabin, and it appeared that Jacob was using the form of Christian Shepherd. The idea that Jacob had taken on Locke's form, or had reanimated it in some way, seemed reasonable as an extension of those assumptions. And, of course, there seemed to be a relationship between Jacob and Cerberus, particularly the appearance of the dead to those about to be judged.

But now two and two have been put together, and the implications are a bit more clear (even if they are a bit more complex). The entity taking the form of the dead, and working in concert with Cerberus, is not Jacob, but rather, Jacob's rival. That rival has yet to be given a name, but he has been trying to find a way to kill Jacob and take control of the island for quite some time. This would appear to be the nature of the war that Widmore warning Locke about in "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham". At any rate, it certainly explains why "Locke" was a lot more focused and purposeful after his death.

The fact that Jacob and his rival both left the island in some form, leading those who would be on Oceanic 815 towards some greater destiny, strongly supports the notion that Oceanic 815's crash was not the simple accident that it seemed to be. The notion that Desmond accidentally made the plane crash was never satisfying, and now there are two layers that debunk that explanation. It's already been made clear that Widmore was responsible for ensuring that the plane was off course in the general vicinity of the island, and perhaps now the timing of Kelvin's escape attempt makes more sense.

The origins of Jacob and his rival are still unclear. The timing of the initial flashback seems to be roughly the 1800s, which would fit the theory that Jacob, Richard, and this new rival were survivors of the Black Rock. If so, perhaps Jacob's rival is Magnus Hanso, the first mate of the Black Rock. That would be a satisfying connection to the man behind the Dharma Initiative! (Alternatively, the ship seen in that flashback could have been the Black Rock itself.) Of course, that doesn't explain why Jacob would be hanging out in the chamber under the statue (which appears to be of Sobek, the Egyptian god of protection and fertility), using a loom to construct a tapestry with Egyptian and Greek motifs. The tapestry points back to the possibility that Jacob, Richard, and this adversary come from ancient times.

The argument between Jacob and his rival at the beginning of the episode implies that they have very different goals when it comes to the island. Jacob seems to want to bring certain people to the island and save them; his rival seems to have a more violent and judgmental disposition. This ties into Richard's answer to Ilana's question: "Who lies in the shadow of the statue?" His answer, in Latin, was "he who will protect us all" or "he who will save us all".

It also appears to tie into the mural on the wall in the Cerberus chamber in "Dead is Dead". A theory after that episode was that Jacob was Anubis, or at least an analogue to Anubis. He seemed to be controlling Cerberus. But what if the mural representing Anubis and the smoke monster is a reference to Jacob's rival? Perhaps the smoke monster is just an extension of whatever Jacob's rival is supposed to be. Was Anubis in opposition to Sobek? This would make sense of the seeming association between Cerberus and the one who takes the form of the dead on the island.

Whatever the case, as seen in the episode, Sobek carried the ankh, a symbol of opposition to evil and the ability to cure diseases. Both seem applicable to the island and Jacob. Sobek was also known to have a distant role in affairs, guiding and pushing others to act in his stead. Whatever the case, this explains the Others a bit more. Jacob selects those who he wants to protect. Richard, who apparently has known Jacob for a very long time, appoints a leader for the actual tribe. That leader does whatever it takes to protect Jacob's chosen. Why they are chosen seems to be the real question, and one that still has no definitive answer. It may, however, have something to do with the redemptive aspects of the series.

It may also be telling that Jacob interacted with Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, Locke, Hurley, Jin, and Sun at various key moments in their lives. Why were they particularly important? It does vaguely suggest that their survival of the Oceanic 815 crash was no accident, something often hinted in the first few seasons. It's interesting to note, however, that they weren't initially on the lists compiled by Ethan and Goodwin after the crash.

Jacob also interacted with Ilana, which means that all the hints and suggestions that Ilana and her crew were working for the wrong side was more of that misdirection. It would seem that the cabin was actually where Jacob's rival was being "contained", not where Jacob was being imprisoned. That leads to the obvious questions: when was he thus imprisoned and by whom?

It also seems obvious that Jacob's rival was the one who was manipulating Locke and the Oceanic 6 all this time, and perhaps Charles Widmore as well. The war between Ben and Charles could be seen, in context, as a reflection of the larger struggle between Jacob and his nemesis. Logically speaking, it was therefore Jacob's rival that pushed Locke to move the island. Since this led to his ability to take on Locke's form and, presumably, kill Jacob, this all seems to be one massive plot to take control of the island. And it also explains why this period in the island's history is particularly important.

Of course, much of this is based on the assumption that Jacob himself appeared to these select members of the Oceanic Tribe and touched them at some point in their lives for a specific reason. It's quite possible, based on what has been seen, that it wasn't Jacob all those times, but rather, Jacob's adversary. After all, the end of the episode strongly implies that Jacob was always waiting in the chamber under the statue. The only problem with this theory, of course, is that Jacob's adversary usually takes on the form of someone who has died (tying into the Anubis theory). Perhaps Jacob can take on the appearance of those who are living (as in Walt in "There's No Place Like Home"). That would fit the black/white dichotomy rather well.

Now that it's clear that Locke is dead, it removes the possibility that he will replace Jacob in the long term. It may be that removing both Jacob and his rival is the endgame. But if not, if there must be balance, the logical replacement for Locke may in fact be Jack. In the wake of Locke's death, Jack has been acting more and more like someone locked into a destined role. If he can let go of the notion that he must control everything in the world (in other words, if he embraces the predestined nature of time in the "Lost" universe), then he could combine his former leadership role with Locke's spiritual psychology. It would be a great payoff to his long journey towards redemption.

But it's not likely to be an easy road, since it's most probable that Miles was correct: Jack's plan will probably create the Incident, not prevent it. More than that, it's likely that the Incident will toss the Oceanic Tribe back into their proper time and cause the conception issues that plagued the Others in earlier seasons. That travel back into 2007 would essentially kill Juliet (who wasn't going to survive much longer anyway), who would "reappear" in the middle of the ruins of the Swan Station. Sayid's situation is also grave, but perhaps not so much so, based on the fact that Juliet was the only one with a flashback that didn't involve Jacob.

But otherwise, it looks like everything would make the transition more or less intact. That might even apply to Rose, Bernard, and Vincent, who had at least found some measure of happiness on their own. If the rest of the Oceanic Tribe make it back to 2007 as a result of the Incident (and are then presumed dead by Richard because they were at "ground zero"), then shouldn't everyone caught out of time do the same? (This would appear to be the meaning of Jacob's final words: the Oceanic survivors are returning to their proper time.)

Most of what happened in 1977 was so predictable, right down to the fistfight between Jack and Sawyer, that it almost took away from the episode. Only Juliet's odd behavior broke it out of that mold. But even that was fairly consistent; Juliet has been making decisions based on the knowledge that her time with Sawyer was over as soon as Kate returned on the scene. Juliet's actions have contained such a sense of inevitability that it was practically self-fulfilling prophecy.

That renders her character arc rather tragic, but that fits the arc of just about every other character to this point. Even Ben's story is tragic. He doesn't even realize how long he's been manipulated, going back to when he was a child (it's a fair bet that his vision of his mother was Jacob's rival). If Jacob's rival represents Anubis, a god of the underworld, perhaps Ben was saved through the power of Jacob's rival. That might be why Ben was never allowed to see Jacob himself.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that Jacob knew that Ben was going to kill him, and that this moment was coming. And perhaps that is why it was important to show that most of the few remaining Oceanic Tribe members had been "chosen" by Jacob at some point in their lives. Either Jacob was sure that he would be replaced by one of them, or the loss of his physical form might put him on an even playing field with his rival.

Regardless of how much of this speculation is proven wrong (and some of it inevitably will be), the stage is certainly set for the final season. Using the familiar white-out of a time flash for the end title may be more than just creative license. If the past five seasons have been dominated by the machinations of Jacob's dark rival, then this may be a sign that the final season will render matters back into balance.
  • Epic. That is the word I am going to use to define this episode...the only episode of lost that has made me cry...Juliet=[

This episode was amazing. I'm sorry...but from beginning to end...I couldn't believe what I was watching. Jacob meeting and touching Kate. Sawyer,Jack, Sayid, Sun & Gin and Hurley sometime in their lives. ben has been manipulated. Locke is not Locke. best part? most climatic? Juliet falling into the whole...wow...so epic...i was just about crying and... just wow...and she was alie & blew off the bomb..but then what? season six of this show can't come any slower..only 1 day in and 7+ months to go. =/

Jack annoyed me with his reasoning for wanting to do it. for kate wtf? I would've gave this episode a 10 if some light was shined on CLaire's situation. where is she? Juliet shined in the episode..i hope she is still alive SO MUCH

2010...hurry
  • One of the best Tv Series Episode ever.

I guess you never know what to expect with the team of writers/directors/producers that are involved in this show.
    But in my humble opinion they have exceeded every expectation.
    Not only i think its the best episode in the series but in my humble opinion is one of the best in TV history. If you take all aspects into account you will realize that the episode was truelly epical.

They managed to have every active ( not dead ) Character in the 90 minute show. The action the drama the suspence was overflowing throughout this episode. The actors did a phenomenal job too. The casting is great we already established that since season 1. Every Character is a hero in its own special way and this has been perfectly represented in this episode.
    They also managed to give answers to many questions yet they created a new series of expectations and uncertainties.

I dont think i was so intrigued by Tv series since Twin Peaks.

I cannot wait for next season and i hope that it ends in the Grande way that its suited for it.
  • I was blown away by the last minutes of this episode. I was trembling whenever Jack, Juliet and Sawyer got in a conflict because I feared for Sawyer and Juliet. But they all made it to Swan. And that's where the crazy ride begins.

First of all, previous seasons of Lost made it clear that the characters are not perfect in any way. They have so many flaws and that's what makes them "tick". Their motivations in this episode may be stupid, but not surprising.

The Dharma story is over, or so do I think. Last moments of Juliet were so strong, so tense I really didn't move or breathe. Of all the characters, hers is the one I feared would die the most. It's not over yet, but she deserves to go out in style, just like Charlie (who was my fav too). It seemed stupid she survived that fall, but then I remembered something. It's the Island. And one fall cannot kill you, or, it cannot kill you instantly. Jacob and Esau (I'm going to use this name for Jacob's enemy just because I don't have any other - except maybe Samuel). Don't mean to be hasty and call their game a Gods fight. We don't know what they are, or what their motives are. I have some ideas about the loophole and Jacob's motives behind bringing the Variables to the Island. Yes, I think Jacob wants to change things so the loop would stop. And the only way to do it is to use the Variables - people that can act out of their destined screenplays. And Desmond... maybe he's the guy that inadvertently keeps the same (or similar string of time) time going. The Constant.

I'm possibly wrong and off the course here, but I'm finally intrigued enough to make theories for myself, because I hate spending time on something that isn't really up to me. But the story evolved the way I wanted it to evolve from the Pilot so... I am lost and glad I am trying to be found.

Ilana grew on me! That's a surprise. Richard and she had a great scene and I found myself yelling "Locke, Locke, Locke!" before they showed him. It was a shock. A great twist. A twist that left all of us wondering did Ben kill Jacob? Did Esau (or Flocke) find a way to kill Jacob? What's next? And who's coming?

Acting was amazing as always, special kudos for Elizabeth Mitchell. I claim again the actions of the Losties make perfect sense. Juliet's decision to help Jack might be because she thought that was the way to meet Sawyer again. Kate's motives are irrelevant in this show. I like Jack, I don't know why, I guess I got used to seeing him around since he's the first character from Lost we've ever met.

Conclusion. The finale was outstanding. The story very satisfying. Yes, there might be a few things that could have been done a little differently, but no matter. The negative LOST title in the end predicts more than we know. Everything's changed and we have to wait 8 months to really see if we are glad for the story of LOST.
  • Part Two of My Review of the Best Episode Ever (Until Next Years Finale)...Spoilers

Two hours flew by while I watched this very emotional episode that developed the plot to a whole new level. Jacobs Flashbacks where great each one of the showed us something we had never seen in the show, Sun and Jin's wedding, Sawyer's parents funeral and him writing the letter, Jacks first surgery, what happened to Locke after he fell from the building, how Nadia died and how Hurley was persuaded to go back to the island. All great flashbacks but there was one awesome one the first one with Jacobs enemy, the Black Rock and the statue. Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Jacob. Also there was a huge twist with Locke not actually being Locke but being Jacob's enemy in the form of Locke (Shocker). Sawyer meeting Rose, Bernard and Vincent again was nice to see, I really enjoyed seeing them again and I was dying to know what they had been up to.

The past story concluded with style Sayid and Jack kicked ass when they had a fire fight against the Dharma folk didn't expect Sayid to be shot. The scene where Sawyer and Jack had a fight was a long time coming 103 episodes and they finally beat each other up. The action part at the Swan was awesome, I enjoyed seeing Jack get backed up by Sawyer, Juliet and Kate and MILES? How did they all become good shots? We saw Changs hand get totally screwed which explains how his hand is missing in one of the Dharma videos cant remember which one. Phil was finally killed thank god hated that dude. There was a very sad scene where Juliet was dragged into the pit this was very sad lost hasn't been able to pull off a sad death like this since Charlie. Juliet saved everyone in the final scene by blowing up the bomb. R.I.P Juliet.

This finally gave us more answers than questions this is what I expect because we are so close to the end of the show. Best finale so far.

I don't know what to expect in the final season but I do know it's going to be the best season in the history of TV. I'm totally ready for number 6.
  • This is the best season finale ever! I have to say: !no mames!, !chingonsisimo!, very similar to the season 2 finale when they blow up the hatch. This is why Lost is my favorite show, they never disappoint me.

This time we have Jacob as the main character and answer to many questions of the show, he is some kind of supernatural being, which brings people to the island to guide them in some kind of "religion" I would say. Egyptian in my point of view. And on the other side we have his counterpart which is trying to kill him because It seems like he do not want people to get to the island and follow him. We realize that Lock is really dead and the bad guy is the one taking his place I assume is the same as Christian (Jack's father), Alex (Ben's daugther), etc, because he can take the form of dead people.

I don't like Lock being dead because he is one of the main characters of the show, but I think they will fix it next season.

I really enjoyed when Jacob tells Ben: What about you?

Things are going to get very interesting next season.

Perfect!
  • Lost for words!

That's it really.....

...but if you insist. A few spoilers may appear. I watched The Incident last night and it was as intricate a piece of TV Drama as Lost has ever served up in its 5 seasons. Backstory,
    1977, Thirty years later. Pivotal moments that involved all the surviving main characters from Season 1 were shown to involve ....Jacob. Finally a face to the name. And Ben never saw him! He faked it! No wonder we couldn't see him in the hut when John went in the first time and no wonder Ben is so bitter. The show was, I felt, almost overwhelming - there was so much going on. A feast, indeed. There are so many images burned into my subconcious and I (and the rest of you) have to wait until next year. When, we are assured, there will be an ending and not a cop out.

If any show can manage it, it's Lost. The only downer for me was that I'd read that Elizabeth Mitchell was going to be in the new V so I had a suspicion that she might not make it. At least Juliet went out in grand fashion. She has been so pivotal this Season, I don't think I'll be alone in missing her.

And Locke! Or is it Esau? Dammit!!

And so much more besides.

What will there be when we hear that familiar airplane sound next year as the brightness fades from the bomb? You'll have to wait, but one thing's for certain, love it or hate, it won't be dull.
  • The beginning of the end and all things to come.

That has to be the greatest cliffhanger ever.This season finished in a very powerful way and left us all viewers speachless and confused , once again. Does Locke have evil twin ? This show can make everything happen , so we would just have to wait for next season. I liked Jack and Sawyer's fight , we hadn't seen that in a while and it's refreshing to watch those fight for their ideals and believes. What's with the Ricardus qoute and Richard talking in latin? How long has he been in the island? That's really one I am killing to know. I thought we would have news on Claire by now but I guess all in it's due time. I can't help to wonder how this show will develop things next season and how it's gonna end , but one thing I am certain is that it's gonna be awesome.
  • Huge reveals!

Wow what a finale! I was speechless and scatterbrained following that white explosion. It took me a while to process everything, but it seems that the writers wanted to emphasize things that happened that actually did happen (Chang losing his arm, Radzinsky running away, the electromagnetic 'incident', on top of all the things that happened in previous episodes). But of course they are neglecting or perhaps hinting whether certain things have changed (such as Juliet regaining consciousness to set off the bomb). Anyways, the new persona controlling John Locke was definitely a kicker; I noticed it inadvertently made Ben even angrier at Jacob for seemingly favoring Locke.
    Also, like many of the reviewers here, I didn't quite buy Jack's motivation for setting off the bomb 'because of Kate'. I mean come on, she hasn't completely given up on him, she is ALWAYS 'with him', she said so herself...why he doesn't see that and decides to erase all traces of that is a mystery.

To think that Jacob's cryptic message could be deciphered so easily by people on these message boards haha. "It only ends one way, everything before that is progress". Yes, the coiled spring theory (rather than the "whatever happens, happens loop") may be the gist of this series. Explain? So we started out at one end of the spring (which is the pilot episode when the plane first crashes), and traveled that loop. There WAS a previous 1977 incident, unaffected by a H-bomb explosion (the losties were never there). We travel this first loop, which supposedly ends with Jacob being stabbed by Ben. But of course, since the losties went back and changed it (Good job Juliet you are a Variable!), now we are traveling along the coil not only in the circular direction but linearly as well (PROGRESS!!!) There will be of course similar events happening (the losties will probably end up on the island regardless, better prepared for the future war(?) each time) but a key variable will be changed each time. Juliet was the first. This cycle will keep going until we reach the other end of the spring, which Jacob intends all along.

Some thoughts:

Did anyone think that Richard didn't sound too happy when he said 'Jacob made me the way I am?' Sounds alot like it was done against his will.

Sneaky sneaky Richard. Seems he knows how to take matters into his own hands (by bashing Eloise and taking her away). Can't wait to see him in action against the imposter after the shocking revelation of the actually dead Locke.

Why is Jacob so calm about his death? Why does he seem to care more about Ben making a choice then his own well-being? This may imply that he knows he is far from finished (because the losties will cause the time loop to reset again(?), leading again to that scene where they watch the ship).

Is Eloise running the Other joint by herself or with Widmore?

I'm guessing Widmore didn't have access to Jacob either. He seemed a bit clueless and gullible when Richard told him 'Jacob wanted this...' (to save kid Ben).

The ash surrounding the cabin must have been there to contain something, perhaps Jacob's nemesis. Hurley's visit/departure probably broke the "ash"-line.
  • What a great episode.

I have a thought, the white flash at the end of the show, could this be another skip in time that will send Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Miles, Hurley, Sayid back to 2007. Could this be what Jacob meant when he said "they are coming"? If this is what will happen when the new season starts, I hope Juliet lives to make it back to 2007 with the rest of the Losties. I am looking forward to the 6th and final season. But I can't wait for the DVD to come out, I just wish that they could release it in a month or two, not Dec 8th.
  • Yes, it was a good episode but after tying up so many loose ends, why introduce such a massive one at the last minute?

I don't deny the finale was good but I believe the viewers where dropped a bombshell to make it even more intense. I refer to the fact that there were two opposing omnipotent beings/forces on the island. We have been watching this show for years and the producers decide to make this known in the season 5 finale?!?! I would guess we all got the feeling that there was something special about Jacob some time back, but to find out so late that there was something/someone else there to on par with him is just wrong. It's like watching a murder mystery movie where all fingers point to the evil twin brother, only to find out it was a suicide. It's just not consistent with what we have seen for so long.

From what I can gather, Jacob wanted to prove to this new character that humans can work together in a world without war and destruction (how naive is that, lol), so he has been handpicking people throughout the decades/centuries in the hope of doing just that. Problem is it keeps failing and the other guy just wants Jacob dead. I won't say anymore just in case people reading this have not seen the finale as yet, but I would guess the term 'their coming' implies Jack & Co are on their way back.

My final point is that this finale plot line has been done before, and better. I know a lot of viewers would cringe in their Lazy Boys recliners at the thought of their beloved Lost not being original, but it's true. I refer to Babylon 5, Into the Fire (Season 4, Episode 6) where two 'known' opposing forces are manipulating the humans into thinking the way they want them too. This all culminates in one big showdown between the three where the humans are forced to make a choice. See any resemblances yet? Viewers seem to get carried away with the hype and buzz of a show that no matter how bad it gets, they still go at it like a dog with a new bone. They just can't give it up. Why do I get the feeling that there will be a season 6 and everyone will be on the island where Richard and Jin are?
  • Boom. And did they change the past? My answer: Yes, even though they shouldn't have done...

I'm gonna keep it brief and just give a quick thanks to everyone involved in the show, because they just delivered the most enteraining finale I have ever seen on any show. I was gripped from start to finish, the plot has never moved so far forward so quickly, and its set up in the most ambigious way possible, which is exactly what I want from Lost: having absolutely no idea what to expect, and then, as (almost) always, being given a sound answer.

I think they have changed the past, and here's why: The hatch was built to stop that energy building up, correct? Well, before the bomb went off, that energy was already present. Surely a bomb of that power could totally anihilate a 'pocket' of energy? If they have changed the past, it goes against the flow of logic, because Desmond is the only one that can change the past (that could have been the way to bring back my favorite character, but, alas, I think we've seen the end of Hume Esq.

Oh, one thing was silly: a bomb can fall 100-150ft without exploding, but by someone tapping it with a rock it goes off? Hahaha. Anyway, I don't get hung up on those little things.Best wishes to the final season!
  • incredible, so many reveals, twists and cliffhangers, don't know what to do 8 MONTHS!

everything perfect. jacob was the biggest reveal, so much infomation i've waited so long for. brilliant scene with juliet and sawyer, so sad (juliet, what a hero). no more Locke, who's the imposter? Man #2, got to be, "you found your loop hole". what a quality killing of jacob, go ben, though jacob at this moment feels more trustworthy than 'locke'. the fight between jack and sawyer, phew, i thought jack had him, but sawyer comes back with some dirty play lol. i can't stop wondering who's going to end up with who. we'll have to find out when LOST returns in 2010.
  • Lost season 5 goes out with a bang. Literally.

The Good:

Jacob: Aah, we hardly knew ye. The Messiah of Craphole Island. The reason the Others are so hostile. He looked weird. I thought he was going be this Yoda-like old man who spoke in riddles. And he turned out to be this regular dude. Who has a nemesis (all the great stories do). His last words were "they" are coming. Did he mean Sawyer, Jack, Kate and the gang? Or are there other, other, other Others? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Jacob's enemy: You think you know the bad guy, but you really don't. There's always a man behind the man behind the curtain. A man who made Charles Widmore look like a wimp by manipulating Ben (Ben! of all people) in the form of John Locke. This brought back the Good vs. Evil/ Black and White theme. The whole time I was thinking about Backgammon.
    John Locke: Dead is Dead even for the Man of Faith. I hope this doesn't mean we will never see him again. The man has a destiny, I'm sure of it.
    Flashbacks: It was cute seeing Little Sawyer and Little Kate (who has always been a criminal). Little Kate looked a lot like Adult Kate. Good casting. And Nadia and Sayid. Wow, that was so harsh. Nadia died in the exact same way as Juliet's husband. Coincidence?
    Rose & Bernard & Vincent: Yay! They're alive, and happy. And retired. Smart folks!
    Sun:found Charlie's DS ring. Nice touch.
    Jack and Sawyer Fight: Had to happen at some point. They really beat the crap out of each other. It was awesome!
    Sawyer and Juliet: The heart-wrenching moment of '09. "I love you so much!". "Don't you leave me!" The acting was brilliant. Thank you for ripping out my heart. How the triangle can be resurrected after that is beyond me.
    Elizabeth Mitchell: RULED this episode! Juliet: The heroine of Lost. I'll miss her. At least she got to go out Charlie-style. Best style one can go out in.
    Miles: saved his daddy. Aahh. And now we know how Chang lost his hand.
    Sawyer: second time he lost his family. If the bomb didn't reset everything I hope he goes completely dark next season to avenge Juliet's death.
    Ben: Michael Emerson was amazing! And I felt kinda bad for Ben. Even though he had it coming.

The Bad (it did have a couple of flaws):
    The reasons for nuking the island. Juliet changed her mind because Sawyer looked at Kate. That was completely out of character for her. She was always the only stable and mature person in the quadrange (Okay her last moment more than made up for it). And Jack's, I liked the fact he kept a distance from Kate ever since they came back to the island. It would be so much better for his character if he did. Too much relationship-crap while Sayid was dying in the background.
    No Desmond. Jin didn't have anything to do (this entire season). He didn't even ask about his child!

Favorite line:
    Rose: We traveled back 30 years in time, and you're still trying to find ways to shoot each other? Heh, I've missed her.

Favorite exchange: Sun: what happened to the rest of the statue? Ben: I don't know. It was like that when I got here.
    Sun: Do you expect me to believe that? Ben:... Not really.

Favorite moment: "Come on you son of a b*tch!"... Boom!!!!

What will happen? No one knows.
< 1 2