Lost

The Incident (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 13, 2009 on ABC

• A disappointing end to a great season.

The episode had a very strong start by showing us two mysterious men living on the island, presumably in the 1800s. It was obvious one of them was Jacob, but when the blonde haired man was named Jacob it still gave a great shiver-down-the-spine moment. As did seeing the Black Rock on the horizon and then the full statue! In fact come to think of it the opening was awesome! Just a shame the quality couldn't continue throughout the episode. Will we ever find out how the Black Rock ended up in the middle of the jungle? I doubt it, the same way I doubt many questions will get answered.

One of my major quibbles with this episode was that we didn't get many answers, and as the second last season finale I felt we needed some major information. The main thing being the time travel stuff. Why didn't all of the Oceanic Six return to 1977, why specifically did they return to that time? These are questions that I feel could easily be given answers, but it doesn't look like we'll ever get any. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Anyway ignoring that major issue let's try and review the episode fairly in its own right. The flashbacks in this episode were used to good effect. One of the advantages of having a two hour finale meant that the episode didn't seem crowded by having events happening in 2007/8, 1977 and flashbacks on top of that. As well as showing some important moments for each of the remaining Oceanic survivors we got to see that this mysterious Jacob in fact had met them all at some point. This was done very well and may hint to the fact that it wasn't just chance that their plane crashed on the island. It was also well done how Jacob subtly touched each one of them, which I would imagine will be an important plot point down the line.

As far as the individual flashbacks went most were good but the ones that stuck out for me were Hurley's, Jack's and Locke's. I was annoyed earlier in the season that we didn't find out what made Hurley decide to get on flight 316, so seeing it here was a great moment. Jack's and Locke's however I wasn't so keen on. We finally saw Jack's little story he told Kate in the pilot and apparently it wasn't as good a moment for him as we'd been led to believe. That it was actually Jack's dad who told him to count to five, and that he embarrassed him undermines the importance that scene should've had. Instead of being a character building moment for Jack, which was what it had always been implied as, it turned out to be a kind of low one. Then there's Locke, while I don't really mind that it appeared that Jacob brought him back to life after he fell out of the window that does seem to contradict the ending reveal of Locke still being dead after Ben killed him. If he could've come back to life once, why not again?

I'm going to get all of the good stuff from the episode out of the way first, as despite not being great there were still some top moments. Firstly we knew Sawyer, Juliet and Kate would get off the sub, but the question was how. I quite liked that it was Juliet who took charge and knocked the guy out to free them and it was a cool little moment. So with them off the sub they could go find Jack and co to stop them. With the nuclear core in a rucksack the group had to get to the Swan. It was good to see that the tunnels under the island went past one of the Dharma houses, which presumably is the one that is eventually Ben's and explains how he could contact the Monster. It was also appropriate that Richard prevented Eloise and himself from going with Jack and Sayid. It made sense and if only from a thematic perspective it worked better to only have the main characters going to the Swan site.

Walking right through the Dharma camp when they were on high alert probably wasn't the best idea but they didn't have much choice so it worked. While I think a gunshot wound is a poor way to be killed off, and considering Daniel was killed that way only two episodes earlier, it worked well that Roger shot Sayid. It also led to Jack holding off pretty much the entire Dharma Initiative by himself! He must've taken up shooting as a hobby when he was off the island because I don't remember him being that good a shot before! So we got a cool action sequence complete with Hurley once again performing a rescue in a Dharma van.

Next up we got a long awaited showdown between Sawyer and Jack. It was a great scene that was always leading to a fight. Although they did have a bit of a scuffle in season one, this was the proper fight. It was brilliantly choreographed and particularly brutal (Sawyer you just don't kick a guy there!). Fight scenes are always good but this one was on par with Sam fighting Dean in Supernatural. Although Sawyer and Jack aren't as close as those two as the two characters who have butted heads for so long this had always been coming and it didn't disappoint!

Finally there was the end shootout between the castaways and the Dharma guys at the Swan site. Again it was a brilliantly shot scene and had some great little moments in there, such as Kate covering Sawyer. Then after Jack dropped the bomb Sawyer's "this don't look like L.A.X." line was great. Unfortunately the ending of that scene wasn't as good as the start. When the electromagnetic anomaly began pulling everything towards it, although it looked cool, it was just the exact same as the ending of season two and felt cheap. Also after almost four years of wondering how Pierre Chang (or whatever we knew him as at the time) lost his hand it wasn't a great reveal. I guess as we're supposed to like him now a cooler way to lose his hand may not have been appropriate (like Phil's awesome death by flying pylons) but it was still a bit anticlimactic.

Looking at those last few paragraphs I sound like a bit of a meathead by claiming the only good thing in the episode was the action sequences, but the truth is that's kind of all that was. As a big budget well done show the more superficial stuff such as the fight scenes will always be done well regardless of what's happening in the story. And it was the story that let the episode down. While it was a double episode, it felt very slow moving for the most part. The main culprit here was the part in 2007/8. The large group walking across the island thing has been done to death and so has no real impact, especially considering we didn't know most of the characters on the hike. While there was some much needed exposition there wasn't very much that was exciting about it. It took up far more screentime than it needed to considering all they were doing was walking. That said there were still some nice little moments. My favourite being Sun working as the voice of the audience when she asked Ben what happened to the statue. Her reaction to his response of not knowing was great and that he didn't even have the strength to argue was another nice moment.

While most of the action came from the 1977 stuff there were still some problems there too. The main thing to poke holes at in the 70s was Juliet. Her flashback seemed a little out of place as it was the only one not to feature Jacob and clearly was only used as a half-baked attempt to justify her sudden and dramatic change of feelings towards what Jack was trying to do. While her and Sawyer's relationship was always doomed after Kate came back, it still felt out of character for her to suddenly want to go along with jack's plan. It felt like a poor way to move forward the story without accounting for the character. That said it always makes me smile when Lost shows how good they are with continuity compared to many other shows. For example other shows may have forgotten that Juliet had a sister (to be honest I kind of had) and not had her in that little scene. Also it meant that every main character this season has had a flashback now, well at least the ones that lasted past episode five!

I was expecting a good final reveal about Jacob at the end of the episode, but instead we got one about Locke. It was very out of the blue that he wanted to kill Jacob and as I mentioned in my last review I wanted a good answer to this. Well we definitely got an answer but I'm not sure that it was good. I wasn't a fan of Locke being able to come back to life, but after a couple of episodes I just thought of the positive. That being that Locke was back; as my favourite character the show wouldn't be the same without him. The problem now however is the reveal that it wasn't Locke at all since the plane crashed. While it makes sense (in a weird Lost way) all it really means now is that Locke is dead. By giving us time to get used to the fact that Locke had come back to life it meant that this reveal was just annoying and not satisfying at all. While I'm still fairly certain Terry O'Quinn will be on the show next year I don't think I'd want him if he's not really Locke.

Then there's Jacob; while it was great to finally see him and get some idea of his power not much if anything was really answered. Back in season three the guy in the cabin was clearly meant to be an old man, but Jacob was a relatively young guy (looks wise at least). I'm fairly sure this will be explained at some point, but here it was just annoying. Add to that the fact that we've essentially been introduced to two new major characters in the final episode of the penultimate season. The war that has been mentioned is likely to be a result of the feud between these two, but it seems far too late to have introduced them. Even though we have known of Jacob since early in season three and this other guy could well be behind many of the apparitions seen throughout the show that still isn't enough for me. We should be in wrap up mode now, not introducing huge new plot points mode.

I'm also going to have to mention the fact that Desmond didn't appear here. Daniel is understandable (what with him being dead and all) but as he's still credited as a main character Desmond should've had a role. Due to the nature of the story this season it has been hard to get Des into it, but it is still an annoyance. While I feel there's far more that could be gotten from his character (as well as finding out what he did in the army to get thrown in jail) if they are going to treat him like this again next season they should drop him down to a recurring guest star rather than a series regular.

And then there's my final complaint, one that was always going to be inevitable: the ending. As already mentioned the end of the final action sequence was a bit lacking, but the very last moment was awful! Considering how epic every season finale has been before it this was just poor. While it has been compared to how season one ended I still wasn't happy with it. I find it unlikely that they would've killed off the majority of the main cast, which is what that bomb would've done, it implies that they have indeed managed to change the future. While I'm sure this will still be resolved in a decent manner it was just a terrible moment to end the season on. And I hated the "LOST" bit at the end being on a white background instead of a black one!
  • It's not just you, it's me. What the heck was THAT?

Wow, this felt rushed, poorly acted and cheesy and I hoped it wasn't going to play like it did after the last few episodes - where it felt like the wheels were starting to come off this show. I was loving this season, it had a lot of neat moments that really seemed they were tying up nicely over the course of the season arc. The time travel / parallel timelines twists and constant back references and nods made this season really enjoyable and compelling viewing, until... We see Jacob and now all of a sudden he's EVERYWHERE, and he kinda always was, see? The Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet thing finally got on my nerves, and Jack and Saywer have a argument while Sayid is bleeding to death in the van?! Seriously? What happened to Ben? He's a bloody big sook! Locke's a reincarnated a-hole and that shoehorned-in bunch from the new plane turn back up with his body... Jacob, someone who I've really only just met gets stabbed and I DON'T CARE! Also, 'they're coming...', Who is it NOW? Don't tell me the Jack/Sawyer/Kate bunch are suddenly going to appear on the beach with the Locke/Ben/Ricardus mob. Either that or it's another freighter, or aliens, or the OTHER others. Tragically a lot of the characters just seemed to be making a cameo appearance, and making really dumb decisions. I could go on but I'm pushing the number of question and exclamation marks I can use in one review. Certainly this was the one of the worst Lost moments for me, even more than some of the early episodes of Season Three.

I love Lost, even when most people I knew had given up watching it a long time ago, I'd always cite it as being one of my favourite shows. It's only been getting better & better, with that wobbly bit in Season Three, but I'm worried that its just Jumped the Shark - maybe two at once.

Roll on Season Six!
  • Another Lost episode that leaves the genius of the series to the assumptions of viewers.

3.5
    Did not enjoy this finale at all.

If we knew that this bomb was going to 'reset everything' and we knew it was going to go off (leaving 'dramatic tension' aside) then why did we care about ANYTHING that happened?

Whatever happened over the course of the episode (in the past) wouldn't matter. It was just so dull because of this. Sayid got shot. O well, he'll get reset, etc. etc.

I don't know why we're supposed to care about the Kate / Sawyer / Jack love-triangle anymore. The series ignores it for massive sections of seasons, then just drags it up again as if we're supposed to care. I don't know why we're supposed to care for Juliet either. She's never done anything inspiring as a character. She's vanilla ice-cream, and noone cares about vanilla. Even when they were dragging out the whole 'she's dying scene', I didn't care because a) she's a boring character and b) it all gets reset anyway! And how did she survive that fall? What's all that about?!

This whole, 'Jacobs enemy' taking 'Lockes form' was pretty yawn. I didn't realise I was watching Heroes. Now they've introduced this 'Gods' thing with Jacob & nemesis, making all inhabitants of the island essentially pawns, doesn't this just make their actions (and therefore the prior 5 seasons) obselete?!

I hated the fact they fobbed off the last encounter with Jacob (when Locke & Ben went to see Jacob at that cabin) as a ruse by Ben. That's just cheap TV.

What on earth was with the James Bond style shoot-out at the site of the drilling?! Juliet (?!), Miles & Jack all donning handguns and shooting down the anonymous foot-soldiers of the whacky scientist?!

And the fight between Jack and Sawyer? What was that about? I thought Sayid was bleeding to death behind those trees?! (not that we care in the first-place because it's all getting reset, but surely the characters [particularly Jack] would care, unless they don't care because it's all getting reset, in which case, why are they fighting?!?!?!?!?!?!?) Why are we supposed to accept that Juliet just changed her mind because of 'the way Sawyer looked at Kate'. She's just changed their ENTIRE LIVES because of that and the cheap justification is because 'well her parents split up' ......

And if Jacob was supposed to be the good guy in these flashbacks, why did he let Sayid's girlfriend die. He could've asked them both for directions?

/end rant
  • We find out who Jacob is and what lies in the shadow of the statue. This episode sucks b/C it introduced a new character and a new story line that just doesn't make sense. As soon as we meet Jacob, a character that is a fraud kills him like a beetach!

I want to summarize what happen in this episode, but it was complicated. Jacob has encountered ever major character of Lost for reasons I don't understand. I will list what significant stuff happened in this episode. The bomb has been donated. Juliet is most likely dead. We find out what happen to the Korean's doctors arm. The other people on the plan have a body that they need to show Richard. If you have seen "Dead is Dead", then the body in the coffin makes no sense; none! Someone kills Jacob at the end. Locke is not Locke. The new Locke is this character at the beginning of the episode that doesn't like Jacob. For all the people who said that the characters are in a continuous loop, your right! Another thing, Richard most likely came on the Blackrock ship. The only reason why I rated this show so high is because Jacob has nice taste in clothes. I'm a fashion man myself! One very good thing about this episode is that the old couple is doing well!
  • Is it just me?

Is it just me or is this show to frazzled? I've watched this show from the begining, but now Im only watching Lost because I want to know what's going to happen. I've watched it for five years now and want to see the end I'm been waiting for these past years. It's just so unreal with all this stuff. Like a bomb would prevent this whole thing that we've been watching. The writer lost his thing or what to say for three years ago. I hope that the season finale of season 6 will be good or I will regret I ever saw Lost. Overall this episode was pretty good still it was to sad in the end. Josh Holloway is the reason I watch lost ;)
  • Lost is lost or at least getting lost quite fast.

Lost is lost or at least getting lost quite fast. This episode represents a very weak ending for the 5th season. Jack's motivation to blow up the bomb is unclear at first and hard to believe in the end. A stranger in the Lock's body and the real Lock's body in the end are too easy to predict. The whole Jacob story line in this last episode is just way off. The story as a whole is becoming more and more chaotic. A shame to see so many characters we came to love ending up in a quite possibly uninspiring and thus not very much anticipated 6th season.
  • Yes, it was a good episode but after tying up so many loose ends, why introduce such a massive one at the last minute?

I don't deny the finale was good but I believe the viewers where dropped a bombshell to make it even more intense. I refer to the fact that there were two opposing omnipotent beings/forces on the island. We have been watching this show for years and the producers decide to make this known in the season 5 finale?!?! I would guess we all got the feeling that there was something special about Jacob some time back, but to find out so late that there was something/someone else there to on par with him is just wrong. It's like watching a murder mystery movie where all fingers point to the evil twin brother, only to find out it was a suicide. It's just not consistent with what we have seen for so long.

From what I can gather, Jacob wanted to prove to this new character that humans can work together in a world without war and destruction (how naive is that, lol), so he has been handpicking people throughout the decades/centuries in the hope of doing just that. Problem is it keeps failing and the other guy just wants Jacob dead. I won't say anymore just in case people reading this have not seen the finale as yet, but I would guess the term 'their coming' implies Jack & Co are on their way back.

My final point is that this finale plot line has been done before, and better. I know a lot of viewers would cringe in their Lazy Boys recliners at the thought of their beloved Lost not being original, but it's true. I refer to Babylon 5, Into the Fire (Season 4, Episode 6) where two 'known' opposing forces are manipulating the humans into thinking the way they want them too. This all culminates in one big showdown between the three where the humans are forced to make a choice. See any resemblances yet? Viewers seem to get carried away with the hype and buzz of a show that no matter how bad it gets, they still go at it like a dog with a new bone. They just can't give it up. Why do I get the feeling that there will be a season 6 and everyone will be on the island where Richard and Jin are?
  • How does The Incident hold up compared to classic LOST finales? (You won't be happy with what I have to say)

I dare say, this might be the weakest of Lost's 5 season finales. 2 hours, and only the last 15 minutes were good. I always hate "he-was-there-all-along" type of reveals in anything, and here, we got that with Jacob and all the major island castaways. It's a cheap storytelling device that I absolutely cannot stand. See, he knows everyone, and might be connected with their destinies, but will that ever be explained because just as we got to know him, they kill him. Never mind the fact that he looks nothing like the figure we saw in the rocking chair. (Man Behind the Curtain)

The Swan firefight bored me a bit, ran, too long, and seeing Jack play Rambo just doesn't fit the character. Sure he's had scuffles before, but he definitely looked like a professional with that gun last night. Weird. I did like when the gang drove in to back him up, but the whole sequence seemed like it was out of a whole other show (namely 24) I also would have liked Sawyer to take out Phil. Short-changed on the payback stick there.

Jack and Juliet's motivations for setting off the bomb bothered me a lot. I thought Jack might be thinking in "big picture" terms like Faraday had said. Undoing all their misery, saving lost lives, a second chance at everything. But no- it's all because of Kate. That made me want to gag. Juliet knows Sawyer still loves Kate, which also disappointed me (3 years, people!) So she decided "If I never met you, I won't have to lose you." Gag me twice. You guys want to alter the space/time continuum over your lovers? Really? How high school of them. I guess it might not have been so bad if there was a lot more going on. But so many characters just didn't do much. Lapidus just kind of hung around. Sun just kind of hung around. Jin just kinda hung around. (All this time and effort and they still weren't reunited?) Sayid (my favorite character) was shot, so he had no choice but to hang around, while dying. Hurley drove a van. Miles threw in his two cents. Desmond was a no show, and there was absolutely no sign of Claire this season. Normally, Lost finales give everyone their due and while not answering series questions, they do a good job of tying up season threads, so the lack of that last night was a bit odd.

I get the sense that beach scene was closure for Rose and Bernard. They're done. And I actually liked that part. I'm guessing we won't see them again until their skeletons at the bottom of the lagoon (S1). Rose and Old Man Bernard was just a snippet of a few things I did like in the finale. Here are some others:

The Locke reveal knocked my F'ing socks off! I knew, I KNEW there was something about New Locke I didn't like- and I'd been harping on about it for months! Ever since "Dead is Dead" (oh the irony!) New Locke was just too cocky! There's a whole new level of creepy now when looking at this Doppelganger, and it sends a legit chill down my spine. (well done, Terry O'Quin! You can see it in the eyes...) This unnamed man, the Omega perhaps to Jacob's Alpha, has found a loophole in an unnamed rule regarding being able to kill his old acquaintance. I'm reminded of the S2 finale where it seemed like the whole story, everything we'd been through, was just a piece of the bigger picture that is Desmond and Penny. Here, there is the feeling that the entire story of LOST, it's mythologies and secrets, rests in the conflict between Jacob and (Esau?). How Dead Christian fits into this, and the Smoke monster (who ordered been to follow this clone) is beyond perplexing. The Ajira guys turned out to be useful after all- but we still have no clue who they are, and I'm a bit frustrated with that.

I liked the Jack and Sawyer's fight. Finally airing out 5 seasons of differences in an excellent bare-knuckled brawl! Ben's speech to Jacob. Once again, I'm asking for an Emmy for Michael Emmerson.

Sawyer's reaction to Juliet's death. I can't remember ever seeing him cry like that! Wow.

But if I could throw in one last side-note about Juliet. I nearly teared up when she fell in that hole. Her death would have been another risky, ballsy move in a great list of risky, ballsy moves from LOST. But no. It turned out she was still alive after all that! What surely looked like at least a 50ft drop, coupled with the crushing collapse of giant lead pipes? And she was still alive? It ripped me right out of the reality of the show.
    Maybe I've been watching too much Heroes, but this reeked of contrivance. Sure she finally set the damn thing off, and being directly near it she should be dead. But now, because of the nature of the show, there is the possibility she might not be. Maybe she'll be special like Desmond now. (I wouldn't mind seeing her running around the jungle, naked and precognitive. ;) Lost finales are such huge events, outside of the Superbowl and The Oscars, there isn't another televised event I get more excited about. But considering I can't think of too much to take away from this finale besides one cool reveal, I'm slightly disappointed. (Their cliffhanger is the the same question that's been driving the last batch of episodes: will they change the past/future?- and it STILL hasn't been answered! Arg!)
  • I am extremely upset, as a fan. Compared to previous finales, this was pathetic. It lacked the character drama that I love this show for; in fact it has been missing all season. The dynamics, the chemistry between the characters doesn't work anymore.

After watching it last night, I was upset. Not annoyed, but upset. Compared to the season finales of the last four years, this was just pathetic. It completely lacked the character drama that I love this show for; in fact it has been missing all season. The dynamics, the chemistry between the characters just is not working anymore. Benjamin Linus has become a walking sulking puppy, I miss his intelligence greatly. Locke's new found confidence was slightly far fetched and aimless at times but it makes a little more sense now. I will not knock on that though, because this was just half of the finale. The whole Jacob/Esau battle that has suddenly appeared is a mystery and plot point for season six and could have interesting implications. What I do wish to knock upon ever so vicariously and viciously and violently and vehemently and… no words to describe my anger so I'll say just say it… What the hell is blowing up a nuclear bomb in such an amateur manner suppose to achieve?

What the hell is going on? What the f*** do they think is going to happen? Why the hell are they suddenly so bloody motivated to reset the time/space continuum? Let us ignore the fact how that makes no sense on about fifty different levels. No, actually let us not ignore that. It makes no sense on fifty different levels. I loved the time traveling setup of Lost; it worked really well and was started brilliantly in season four by the excellent Desmond/Daniel Faraday episode called The Constant. But this season's The Variable just completely tarnished the acceptable physics the show delivered. We and the characters were made to believe the 'Whatever happened, happened' motto for the entire season and then suddenly in one episode it was all turned on its head with a completely infinitesimal and absurd explanation. It needed to be developed in a more fleshed out manner, but we never got that chance because Lost decided to deliver a really pointless character death.

Killing Daniel Faraday was a huge mistake, his conviction and explanation for detonating the nuclear explosive was necessary in developing this plot point. Such a critical issue and source of motivation for a lot of the other characters felt completely rushed and not even remotely believable. We as the viewers understand that Faraday knows the physics and conditions on the island far greater than anyone else, and we needed his presence in the finale for this nuclear situation to gauge any emotional value. His knowledge is far above that of our new found warrior-spirited Jack Sheppard. Faraday says one little thing to Jack about supposedly "fixing/resetting" everything and he believes it? Not even just believes it but Jack makes it the mission of his life out of nowhere to blow up a nuclear bomb; Faraday never explained himself or his fervor to carry out these actions. Yet Jack became a blind pilgrim in this belief of something a man, who he has not seen in three years by the way, said to him… about bending space and time by blowing up a nuclear bomb. Ridiculous, that is not Jack. It is as if the writers just threw away four years of character development. The motivation behind the actions of Jack and his crew makes absolutely no sense. Let us not forget for a moment Sayid's random acceptance of the situation at hand as well, utterly absurd. Suddenly the resident torturer of the island is now very capable with plutonium cores and nuclear warheads as well. I must also raise issue with how homosexual Sayid looked for most of the episode, especially after his elaborate wet scene coming out of the waterfall and the flamboyant hair-tie-back action that followed. Oh and I loved the timeout Jack and Sawyer decided to take, all the while Sayid was lying in the back of a van bleeding to death. Clearly Dr. Jack Sheppard forgot that he was a doctor.

The action was incredibly silly as well, since when did Jack become a sharp shooter? Someone has been watching too much '24' on their three years off the island. I swear the most believable thing in that episode could have been Jack Bauer appearing out of the energy pocket hole, revealing himself to be the smoke monster, Jacob and the island's energy all in one. It got even worse when the whole gang decided to throw a hissy fit at the Swan station at the end, trained DHARMA guards with accurate rifles were shooting air while a blonde fertility doctor with a pistol was nailing head shots through a speeding van. Her accuracy seemed to infect the rest of the gang also as Miss Wonder Bucktooth was rolling around barrels to barrels picking of baddies in jumpsuits as if her name was… Miss Wonder Bucktooth. Absolutely preposterous this episode was I tell you, unacceptable.

One last quibble about this Jacob of ours, and a point about the structure of this episode in general as well. All the flashbacks of Jacob appearing in the lives of the people currently on the island were too convenient and misplaced. It was stupid seeing random useless tidbits of Jacob affecting the lives of these people. This should have been done in the flashbacks over the course of the season, we should have seen these events scattered out across a proper time line so that in this finale we actually find out that such and such events were in fact triggered by Jacob. This is how Lost has always developed its puzzles, putting pieces together… with Jacob it felt like a complete rush job and utter matter of invention just to show that Jacob went around and met all these people at some point in their lives. The flashback scenes carried absolutely no weight or consequence because of this. The time line of these flashbacks were confusing, entangled in between jumping from past to present with our current gang of characters.

In general, these episodes and season five in general felt rushed and sorely lacked emotional gravitas. Quite disappointing to be honest, I feel as if all the character connections have been completely lost, no pun intended. Lost was a show built upon the relationships and character conflicts, not these silly mysteries that seem to be derivates of some hallucinogenic run through of the Bible.

I do wish to commend the ever excellent Richard Alpert. He is the last saving grace of this show in my eyes, and a narrative through his eyes is well over due. A finale in his vein would have been much more sensible, much more emotional and would have definitely eased the introduction of Jacob. To be honest he's one of the last characters with any kind of logical rationale left in him. Frank Lupidus, the poor guy is totally lost but I am quite interested to see what Ajira passengers/Jacob's allies consider him a "candidate" for. Jacob allowing himself to be killed so easily signifies that the body he occupied is possibly just a vessel for his spirit, similar to what Esau has done with Locke, Jacob will do with Lupidus. Whatever the hell happened to Christian Sheppard and Claire? We were made to believe Locke was resurrected on the island just like Christian, but now we are presented with the fact that death is certainly the end of these characters. What makes Christian an exception, why was he nowhere to be seen? What the f*** is that prostitute of a b**** whore Sun doing asking the stupidest questions like a prostituting puppy b****? I thought Christian told Sun and Lupidus how they could meet their friends again, but from the way Sun was acting it was as if she had completely forgotten about her encounter with Christian. This goes back to my point about the episode being awfully structured and very much rushed. Christian should have been around in the finale, too many gaping plot and motivational holes occurred that made no sense on any bloody level. Before I end my discussion, special mention to Hurley, Miles and Desmond who are the last few people making any kind of cynical sense on this show yet nobody seems to listen to them.

As for the rest of the gang, Ben has become a delusional vagina Jack thinks his first name is The Boss last name Bauer, Juliet is tapping a nuclear core with a rock trying to make it explode, Sawyer is in love, Sun is a whore, Kate is doing absolutely nothing with her life, Faraday is dead, Locke is dead, Jacob looks he belongs in Amsterdam, Esau is an awful character from Prison Break, Lupidus is Lost, Sun is a whore, Jin has become like crewman #5 since he started speaking English constantly stating the obvious and last but not least Bernard and Rose are about to start the Robinson Crusoe family on the island.

What the hell happened to Lost? Man, I miss Charlie.
  • The season finale of Lost.

Not the best season concluder in show history, but I think it was good enough to sustain the world until the final epic season arrives in 2010. I almost lost it when Juliet was desperately trying to detonate the bomb at the end, and surprisingly she did. Of course anything is better than being trapped in a 50 feet deep pit but won't she be back where she started working under Ben?

I do not like the actor playing Jacob and did not like a new character being so dominantly featured in the season finale, only to get killed. And what does this mean Christian Shepherd was when he was on the island?

Was this the best season finale this year? Possibly, but we still have a few more to go so you never know.
  • Not sure whether I enjoyed this episode or not.

I was most shocked to see Jacob, he was not what I expected. Very clever how he had met all the major characters at some point in their lives, but I'm still confused about the Locke thing, which I guess is a good thing as it means I'm still thinking about the episode. I did cry when Juliette fell. It didn't seem to fit right that it was Jack that was determined to follow through with the plan for the bomb and be the leader. Odd choice. There have been some good episodes this season and some bad, I'm not convinced this was worthy of a finale though if I'm honest.
  • Aw crap

Ok...
    Here it comes. I liked this episode (reader who read my previous reviews gapes), but ("what a surpise, there's a but"), it was all in all underwhelming.
    Now, before you crucify me for speaking ill of this ultimately fantastic episode, can you at least let me state my case?
    A) There was a lot of buildup and suspense in this episode and prior to this episode. Seriously, I had been told that we would be seeing the Smoke Monster and learning all there is to learn about Jacob. The only explanation to this is my theory (Jacob was unimportant and Un-Locke is the smoke monster).
    B) They totally ripped off the Season 4 finale. And the season 4 finale was like, "eh...".
    C) The second we're introduced to Jacob, and we see him, we see someone touch him, kill him, set him on fire. But don't worry-Crazy Ghost Temple Jacob will be making an appearance in Season 6.
    D) Oh, and Locke wasn't coming back from the dead. The Smoke Monster AKA Un-Locke AKA Jacob's Enemy was just posing as him, Yemi style.

And that is the Cons.
    Now the pros
    jacob statue new guy un-locke jughead explosion incident sawyer jack get it on crotch kicking crotch kicking crotch KICKING :o blood guy pronouncing it gaLAHga radzinsky and phil get pawned jacob teaching kate that there are no consequences for doing bad things juliets dad gets meow whipped and of course
    ARSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and machetes
    oh! and Frank makes sarcastic comments (fantastic etc)
  • Good season finale for a good season

Another classical season finale of lost, some questions were answered but tones more are waiting for next season.
    This season was great, actually it was my favourite because it really explains some incidents that happened previous seasons.
    We saw that they all met Jacob before in their lifes. That is shocking so that means Jacob chooses them or Jacob only follows the destiny?
    What happen to Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Juliette and all the other? Is Jake right about the bomb or they die for nothing? What about John Lock, Jacob and Benjamin? Cant wait for seson 6. And Unfortunately we have to wait until January 2010 I guess.
  • We're the good guys.

Frank: In my experience, the people who go out of their way to tell you they're the good guys, are the bad guys.
  • Finale! I cant wait for season 6!

Lost
    Season 5 Episode 16: The Incident
    In 1977 Jack plans to execute Faraday's plan by exploding the bomb so time is changed. Kate, Sawyer and Juliet try to stop him. In 2007 Richard takes Locke, Ben, Sun and other people to see Jacob while Locke tells Ben to kill Jacob. In flashbacks we see Jacob visitting the people who arrive at the island.

This was an amazing episode. The first part and second part were awesome! I cant wait for season 6! I dont think Jacob's really dead, maybe somehow we'll be seeing him on season 6. I cant wait for season 6 which starts January 27!
  • So many questions

So this is it.. the final try to set things "right".. Or is it right? Anyway, they seems to have an idea and Jack is going with it.. and in some way, he has turned to that man Locke was at the start..

So.. he continues his quest to the bomb.. and Sawyer tries to stop him.. And there were really great dialoge.. but nothing can compare with the action in Swan site.. and troughing to bomb there.. the magnets.. Juliet.. so many things happening and so fast.

Also, there was great storyline with Locke.. what a shock.. When "our" Locke is dead.. who is the Locke in the statue... And I liked Ben taking stand against Jacob.. that was great.. I think that most of all we have so many questions - what happened.. did bomb exploded? Where it leads? Who is the Locke? What is that woman and her band doing? Something to wait for..
  • Great ending to a great season.

This was a outstanding finale to the best season yet. The are many questions answered with many more revelations. We finally find out who Jacob is and his role in the lives of the passengers the Oceanic flight. He got Kate out of a bind when she was a little girl. He gives Sawyer a pen when he was a little boy. He gives Jack his candy bar that had gotten stuck in a vending machine. He was there when Locke fell and broke his back. He blessed Jin and Sun at their wedding. He distracted Sayid while his wife was hit by a car and killed. He touched each of these people and invited them to the island.

Jack and the rest make it to the H-Bomb and start the process to detonate it in the power source and reverse everything.

Lock tells Ben that he has to kill Jacob as they continue their pilgrimage to the statue. Ben and Locke make their way into where Jacob is. Ben and Jacob get into an argument and Ben stabs him. Before he can die, Jacob states that they are coming.

The is dissention among Jack, Kate, Juliette and Sawyer as weather to detonate the bomb, but they eventually all agree it is for the best.

The power source is ruptured before they can detonate the bomb and all metal around the site is pulled into the hole that was being drilled. Juliette gets caught up in the metal and gets pulled down but lives. She sees the bomb undetonated and starts hitting it with a rock until the bomb detonates. Until next season…
  • The usual quality that Lost delivers in the season finale, even with some strange lack of details!!!!!

Plot Details/Objective -» Lost is a show that you can expect some great surprises in the season finale. This time the writers decided to make a big surprise just in the beginning in the episode. It also seems that the episode began with a history and we had a conclusion (open) in the end. The past scenes also play all the tension necessary to the end.

What I Liked (spoilers) -» Jacob appearance and the introduction to what seems the new villain. The surprises in the ending. The ultra intriguing finale, so many door opens, so many possibilities. The gun fight in the Dharma Territory (With Jack and Sayid). Some of the flashbacks like Sayid, Locke, Sun and Jin. Illana intriguing scenes.

Didn’t liked (spoilers) -» The poor details about Jack and Juliet motives to modify the future, it´s…Poor details when Juliet was pulled, someone notice the time that Sawyer and Kate was there without being hit or how the EM force didn´t ripped Juliet Torso? Then she survive? This is why this scene didn´t hit me in the proper way.

Overall:

Presentation -» (10/10). Very strong. Who would guesses that Jacob would appear? The conversation played there was also very interesting. The flashbacks connection was also part of the presentations and some of them was interesting like Sayid or Locke.

Complication Phase -» (9/10). In 1977, we have interesting scenes, some dialogues, gun fights and discussions and dilemmas. In the present, was just some interesting conversations, Ilana and her crew scenes was interesting because of the mystery. Unfortunately, Jack and Juliet motives are very selfish and not about a big picture here.

Climax -» (9/10) When Locke go there to face Jacob, but this is when you discover that….OMG!!! Unfortunately, what failed here was the past climax, the gun fight and some details that can turn you off (like some of the incident details).

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Will make youvery curious and will be shocking too. Expect the unexpected. Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10) The main objective here was simple, kill Jacob and explode the hydrogen bomb. There are scenes that bought time, but if you are a regular fan, you can´t notice, I noticed.

Dialogues -» (10/10). You have all type of dialogues, mysterious, dialogues with tension, informative dialogues and entertaining too.

Drama/Emotions -» (7/10). Unfortunately, some strange details can turn you off, like happened to me and this cause me to fail in absorbing the climax drama between Sawyer and Juliet.

Suspense/Tension -» (8/10). The moment with Gunfights was filled with tension, however can´t be more than great. There gun fight wasn´t totally realistic in the Swan Station, however, I will not rate it to low, because of this details.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). The mysteries level is too high candidates? Jacob vs is enemy (why and what happened before), in this war, who is really good, who is evil? What happened to our favorites survivors? Could Jack done everything that is supposed to do and not get the result that he pretended? What Is reserved for Sayid, Juliet, Jacob and Locke? Maybe there are more questions, but you can see that some of the survivors were selected by Jacob in separated times.

Surprise/Twists -» (10/10). There are some possible deaths that will surprise you. Also the surprise regarding Locke sudden resurrection is fantastic. Even Rose and Bernard appears to say something.

The season finale wasn´t so strong if you compare it to the previous seasons, this happens because this is the 3rd time that Jack and Co go to war and we already are accustomed to the results. There are Key moments when Jack and Sawyer interact or when Sawyer and Juliet had their last scene., the gun fight inside Dharma territory and the final scene, but other than That, the experience in the past didn´t offers too much. The present scenes holds the mystery until the finals scenes, so until there, the writes shows some dialogues to make time. What was interesting was some of the flashbacks scenes like Sayid and Locke. Overall, this season finale is the usual Lost quality, but since the past situation is not something new and had lack of details, for some people, this can be the weakest season finale in Lost. For me it had enough Key moments to rate it or least with a 9,1.
  • For the record, loved the finale!!

Reading everyones' comments have been very enlightening. But I was just wondering why everyone thinks Jacob is good. It seems both these guys (Jacob and Esau? or Sobek and Anubis?) are messing with peoples' lives trying to prove themselves right. Jacob did say "It only ends once. Anything before that is progress." and the other guy looked pretty pissed off. So it appears to me that Jacob is running his own "little" experiment and the other guy is sick and tired of it and just wants it to end. (Reminds me of the biblical story of Lot- I always hated how that guy's life was totally messed up).

But who knows? I have also wondered if they are all dead and working their way through purgatory.

Regardless, I am really looking forward to season 6. How refreshing after another thoroughly tedious finale of "Heroes". Those guys need to take a lot of tips from the writers of "Lost"!
  • I loved this finale...considering i hadn't watched Lost in a long time this season brought back how much i loved Lost. Bring on season 6!

The finale had me on the edge of my seat; those scenes with Juliet and Sawyer made me cry they were so emtotional. One of my favourite moments of the series and the acting was amazing The bright white light of the finale and the swapping of the colour of the background and the colour of the writing is interesting and suggests somewhat of a change to next season- it will be interesting to see just what will happen to the Losties and what effect it will have for the others in 2007. This episode brought up even more questions - who is impersonating Locke and what's his motives? What will happen to the Losties in 1977? It will be interesting to see what happens in the final season- 8 months cannot come soon enough
  • Amazing finale.

This finale probably can`t be better , at start of this 1 hour and 24 min`s we finally see Jacob ( good one I think after finale ) and some other guy "native" ( bad one ). They talking about ship ... what ship should we ask - ofcourse "Black Rock" with Ricardus :) Alpert. Both episodes are concentrate about Jacob and his meeting`s with people from island in past in real world beyond island. He meeting them in different times - young Sawyer, young Kate, Locke after accident, Jack during his first operation, Sayid when dies his wife, Sun and Jin when they just get married and Hugo when he induce him to flight the plan. One thing for me the most important is the Jacob touch all of them in different way`s but still touch.

In episode producers give us a lot of special scenes for example : - back Rose and Bernanrd ... who think about that, not me ... Bernard look`s like Robinson Crusoe now :D and Rose with her true love to Bernard
    - Illiana and her people burn the cabin uhhh :(
    - fight Jack and Sawyer ohhhh I really miss fight like that ( kick in Jack`s balls was amazing :D )
    - Juliet probably dies... really sad scene ;( Sawyer I condolences you ... now i defienietly think Sawyer will change his mind in 100% , back old bad Sawyer :)
    - the finale scene !!! John Locke is dead man ( S H O C K ) for true.... who`s the live John Locke ?? maybe mr. "native" ?
    - Ben kill Jacob ohhh that see like Jacob want this death but why maybe that maky him free man ?
    - Bomb , bomb, bomb ... boom, boom, boom Juliet must hit that bomb 8 times to blow up her ... it`s little crazy :)

at the end white background and black "Lost" inscription - nice change :)

Summary great finale, great episode, a lot of shocking things now I want more more more Lost unfortunately I can see Lost not before January 2010 .... :((((

100\10
  • Well...A Jacob centered finale! I still can't believe I can finally say that. But very sad also...

Personally I loved all the scenes where Jacob appeared. The flashbacks were really great. I was waiting for this for so long that it's hard to believe it finally happened. So the ending was very shocking. Is Jacob really dead? It would be such a pitty if that's true because there are still MANY things we need to find out about him.

The Incident itself (the event) was very interesting. Espacially when everything was beeing pulled towards the hole. But then...

Then the major death. My FAVOURITE character of all TV shows ever... It was the most painful fictional "death" (fall would be more accurate) I have ever seen. My only hope is that everything will change after the bomb exploded because LOST will never be the same if it doesn't...

All in all, the finale was really great but I just can't accept Juliet's death. Just too much death.
  • Jack's plan reaches its conclusion; Juliet has a really, REALLY bad day; Locke turns out to not be quite who he claims; Ben performs a shocking stunt; Oh, yeah, and Jack and Sawyer pummel each other.

I don't exactly know which events happened in which part of the Season 5 finale, so my review may be a little choppy. Sorry!

Wow, Wow, WOW!! I feel like my mind was taken apart, and completely rebuilt last night, by the sheer shock value of this episode. Everything was so touching, and intense!

Rose and Bernard finally reappeared, and it was kind of sweet. They seem happy, so that's nice for them. I don't think they will play much of a role in Season 6, by the looks of things.

Desmond and Claire were both notably absent from this episode. I can understand Claire's absence, although I half-expected her to show up at the last moment... However, Desmond!? Why wasn't he involved with ANY of the major storylines this season? Geez.

Seeing Charlie's 'Drive Shaft' ring was very sweet. There were a lot of sweet little moments in this season finale, including Sayid being happily together with Nadia. I hope Sun and Jin can reunite in Season 6, though.

It was nice to see the mystery of Dr. Chang losing his arm revealed. Another big reveal? John Locke is DEAD!! Jacob's enemy, an unnamed ancient man that lived on the Island hundreds of years ago, has been reanimating his spirit all this time!! Talk about a big shock! I now have a new, even larger respect for Terry O'Quinn's acting than before -- he executed this double-agent role flawlessly. It was incredible. It also explains the reason why the compass paradox can exist.

My hat also goes off to Michael Emmerson's acting. Killing Jacob was such a climactic, intense event. I like how that storyline was written, although now I wonder what kind of role Jacob's enemy will play without Jacob actually being around...

Now, for the best written storyline -- Juliet Burke. Apparently, she is pretty much a goner. But the acting... The writing... It was STUNNING. SO incredibly well done! She rocked the finale so hard. I loved everything about Elizabeth Mitchell's performance, and the cliffhanger? Ahh!!!!

The finale wasn't exactly perfect. Desmond's absence was pretty weird. The first half was definitely not on the same level as the second, more thrilling half. But the writing was so excellent, and the acting was great, too. Next season will be truly unreal, I think!
  • Epic. That is the word I am going to use to define this episode...the only episode of lost that has made me cry...Juliet=[

This episode was amazing. I'm sorry...but from beginning to end...I couldn't believe what I was watching. Jacob meeting and touching Kate. Sawyer,Jack, Sayid, Sun & Gin and Hurley sometime in their lives. ben has been manipulated. Locke is not Locke. best part? most climatic? Juliet falling into the whole...wow...so epic...i was just about crying and... just wow...and she was alie & blew off the bomb..but then what? season six of this show can't come any slower..only 1 day in and 7+ months to go. =/

Jack annoyed me with his reasoning for wanting to do it. for kate wtf? I would've gave this episode a 10 if some light was shined on CLaire's situation. where is she? Juliet shined in the episode..i hope she is still alive SO MUCH

2010...hurry
  • Brilliantly written this finale was an awesome ride. You got involved with the characters and the story, I couldn't turn the TV off. Where can Lost go next season? Where will everyone end up? What is going to happen now?

Having missed the end of the 4th season due to a bad antenna I chose not to watch the start of this season but I couldn't wait for the DVD release. I tuned in to see the last 3 episodes and I certainly don't regret it.

This final episode was heart racing. We got to see the characters at their most defining points of their lives, to choose between a life they currently live, or to kill them all. Is Jack right, or is he devastatingly wrong? We won't know until the next season.

The end worked well, if by any chance the show is cancelled (like others are now) then it's ended, we know what happened. If we continue the writers can go in any direction. Not only did I see the characters in this last episode I also felt them, I held my breath when Juliet was telling Sawyer she loved him, I wanted to reach out and hold on to her as well. When Locke & Ben confronted Jacob I could feel Ben's anguish.
    It was a topnotch episode and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bring on Season 6, I have a new antenna!!
  • What a Shocking season finale! or should i say explosive?

What a Shocking season finale! or should i say explosive?
    One of the best episodes of lost i've ever seen!

The entire season was just great, this season they explained a ton of mysteries left by previos seasons, and.... what an incredible way of explaining them!

One more mystery for next season "John Locke" WTF!!!!! that part was just unbelievable and incredible too!

Seing a devotional Benjamin Linus? wow i sure didn't saw that coming!

Next season is the last season of lost! and i think they sure accomplished in making people anxious for season 6! this season finale sure was a great beginning for season 6!!

Thank You for that wonderful episode!
  • Boom. And did they change the past? My answer: Yes, even though they shouldn't have done...

I'm gonna keep it brief and just give a quick thanks to everyone involved in the show, because they just delivered the most enteraining finale I have ever seen on any show. I was gripped from start to finish, the plot has never moved so far forward so quickly, and its set up in the most ambigious way possible, which is exactly what I want from Lost: having absolutely no idea what to expect, and then, as (almost) always, being given a sound answer.

I think they have changed the past, and here's why: The hatch was built to stop that energy building up, correct? Well, before the bomb went off, that energy was already present. Surely a bomb of that power could totally anihilate a 'pocket' of energy? If they have changed the past, it goes against the flow of logic, because Desmond is the only one that can change the past (that could have been the way to bring back my favorite character, but, alas, I think we've seen the end of Hume Esq.

Oh, one thing was silly: a bomb can fall 100-150ft without exploding, but by someone tapping it with a rock it goes off? Hahaha. Anyway, I don't get hung up on those little things.Best wishes to the final season!
  • An example of a definitive Lost episode. No major spoilers included.

The Incident, in a word, was fantastic. After a relatively slow (but entertaining, nonetheless) first hour, the show ratcheted up the intensity and came back for the strongest finish in years. Most questions that had been raised this season were put to rest, with a few left brewing for what I'm sure is going to be an amazing final season next year. This episode had everything that was ever worth watching in this show. We got to see Jacob, the full statue, discover what lies in the shadow of the statue, and much more. The main highlights of this episode include the Incident and the seemingly successful attempt of detonating the Hydrogen Bomb. However, things may not be as they seem. Will the bomb complete Faraday's dying wishes, or will things just become worse? Does whatever happened, "stay happened" or can they really change things? Season Six has set itself up in a fantastic way, and this episode was by far the best episode of the season, or the past couple seasons for that matter. With an emotional death, a not as emotional one, but one that could have led to answers had it not taken place, and many other events, this finale will leave you breathless. And in a cliffhanger, arguably one of the best since the opening of the hatch, that will leave you screaming for more, you'll begin to think of the repercussions of what just happened and wonder if what you just saw actually occurred. Did it really happen? I wouldn't have expected it. Oh my God. That's all I can say. I will be waiting breathlessly until 2010.
  • Epic and on par with the best in the series!

LOST does it again. Producing a high quality epic movie of a finale that leaves the competition far behind in the dust. When this show ends in 17 more episodes it will be the end of an era and we may never see deep, layered storytelling in this format ever again.

Season 5 was ambitious to be sure, and yet it is probably the fastest, most edge-of-your-seat of all 5 so far. Even at this pace and truly embracing it's sci-fi tendencies, the show stayed true to it's beloved characters and the emotional core it's audience is so compelled by. Bravo!!
  • Lost for words!

That's it really.....

...but if you insist. A few spoilers may appear. I watched The Incident last night and it was as intricate a piece of TV Drama as Lost has ever served up in its 5 seasons. Backstory,
    1977, Thirty years later. Pivotal moments that involved all the surviving main characters from Season 1 were shown to involve ....Jacob. Finally a face to the name. And Ben never saw him! He faked it! No wonder we couldn't see him in the hut when John went in the first time and no wonder Ben is so bitter. The show was, I felt, almost overwhelming - there was so much going on. A feast, indeed. There are so many images burned into my subconcious and I (and the rest of you) have to wait until next year. When, we are assured, there will be an ending and not a cop out.

If any show can manage it, it's Lost. The only downer for me was that I'd read that Elizabeth Mitchell was going to be in the new V so I had a suspicion that she might not make it. At least Juliet went out in grand fashion. She has been so pivotal this Season, I don't think I'll be alone in missing her.

And Locke! Or is it Esau? Dammit!!

And so much more besides.

What will there be when we hear that familiar airplane sound next year as the brightness fades from the bomb? You'll have to wait, but one thing's for certain, love it or hate, it won't be dull.
< 1 2