Lost

The Lie

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 21, 2009 on ABC

• Not sure which lie they meant, but their starting to cost the six

One thing the regular viewer of Lost should accept is a given is that everybody lies. Whether they're from the plane, the freighter, the island or off it, everybody is lying about something. Titling the episode 'The Lie' could make the casual viewer wonder which lie they're referring to. We, however, know that they're talking about the whopper the Oceanic 6 have been spinning since their rescue. In the opening bit, we see that there was some division even there. Jack was the most eager to lie. Kate seem more than willing to go a long with it (but we're going to find out that she had her own motives for lying. Sun seemed willing to participate, too, but my guess is she was still going through the shell shock of losing Jin to go along with it. Sayid was resistant to the idea initially, but finally allowed himself to be persuaded --- given all of the horror that was in his life even before he came to the island, he's used to putting bad stuff behind him. (Apparently, he doesn't realize that the worst is still ahead of him.)

The most objective person was Hurley. He didn't think it made any sense to lie, and from the viewers standpoint, I'm inclined to agree. How does telling a lie protect everyone on the island who was left. No one knows where to find the island, and it's just disappeared. And if the person to protect it from is Charles Widmore, we know for damn sure he won't believe it either. Hell, their very presence will expose them to him, and it's clear that Sun is more than willing to enlighten him. It is more likely he agreed to go along with the deception, because of the other key phrase--- people will call him crazy. We all know how sensitive Hugo is to this (how many times did he wince on the island when someone even implied he wasn't sane?) and considering where he's going to end up not long after the rescue, it obviously was a major concern to him. So he goes along with it, but it's clear he had major objections.

Now he's on the run from the police, the people from the safehouse, and God knows who else is chasing him. It probably doesn't help when a cop car pulls over and Ana Lucia, in her uniform, emerges. She's trying to guide him and keep him safe, but I'm still not sure how much she can be trusted. (And that throwaway line about Libby at the end? Cruel.) So he goes to the one place he thinks there might be some safety --- his home. There are those who would say that David Reyes is openly hostile to his son's story (saying he's crazy or lying probably doesn't help him) but look at it from his perspective: Your son emerges carrying an old friend who can't be revived no matter how much effort they put into it. The police say he killed three people, and your son just won't tell you what this is about. He was willing to lie for his son, and take Sayid to a doctor, and then very clearly tells him to keep away from Hugo. He may not know the situation, but Jack doesn't have his best interests at heart --- how can he if he's just made a deal with the devil?

His mother, on the other hand, wants answers. And considering that Hugo had the best relationship with his mother than just about anybody on the island did, it's not surprising that he finally, after what have been years of torment, finally unburdens himself. The scene borders between absurdity and pain-- as Hurley manages to sum up everything that happened on the island for the first 100 days in less than a minute --- an accomplishment in itself. It's not clear how much Carmen understands, but she does something no one on this show seems willing to do at all--- and that's listen. When she finally says: "I believe you," those three words mean more to her than just about anything else in the episode. Jorge Garcia is a revelation in this episode, and this may be his finest hour.

Jack seems to be willing to drink the Kool-Aid, but it also seems that he just likes being able to treat Sayid--- finally, a problem with something he can fix He thinks that finding Sayid makes his job a lot easier, but I saw the look on Ben's face when he heard that Jack had found him. Given what we heard in the last episode, it's pretty clear there's been a major break between these two--- we just don't know how horrible it is yet.

Kate is on the run herself, but she seems to be finding that it's lot harder to be a fugitive when you've got a toddler in tow. Then she gets an unexpected call--- and we see it's from Sun. Talking to her should be pleasant --- Sun and Kate were pretty close on the island, after all--- and Sun does try to be gentle, but there just seems to be a hint of cruelty in her pleasantness now--- especially in the way she seems to bring up her husband. There's definitely bad blood, and it's not clear what she hopes to be gained by calling on Kate. (Hell, initially I even thought that she might be the one behind the call to the lawyers.)

Back on the island, the time travel seems to have stopped at least for awhile. everyone seems to be more concerned with surviving now. One guy seems a little more worried --- Daniel. We don't know what he read in his journal, but when Charlotte starts telling him that she's starting to have memory lapses and a couple of headaches, he seems way too worried. He knows something, we're just not sure what yet.

Things then get worse in a hurry--- as the survivor are besieged by a hail of flaming arrows that kills a good deal of the extras that were still left. (Why they used arrows when it was clear that they have guns is a question I don't think we'll ever have answered. Eventually, Juliet and Sawyer manage to find safety, but are taken hostage by three very unpleasant Others. They seem doomed when bullets ring out and a knife flies through the air --- and out of the jungle comes Locke. They're safe, but for how long? Not for much longer, though they don't know it.

Back on the mainland, Hurley is confronted by the man behind the curtain--- Ben, who (after narrowly avoiding a Hot Pocket) makes his pitch to him trying to tell him that he'll be safe and won't have to lie anymore. Hurley then decides to follow Sayid's advice over that of 'Ana Lucia', and runs right outside and gets himself arrested. But the biggest shock of all comes in the last scene where we see someone using a Foucault pendulum, a giant map, a chalkboard, and a computer that looks rather suspiciously like the one we were forever entering numbers into back in season 2. She comes out and reveals herself to be Ms. Hawking, that creepy old lady, who appears when Desmond traveled back to 1996, and told him he couldn't marry Penelope. She is similarly dismissive to Ben, which is very odd, considering everyone else seems to defer to him, and tells them that they have a 'window' and that it closes in 70 hours, and if he doesn't get them all back, "God help us all." We're still not clear on what Hawking knows and how Ben knows her, but we're going to soon find out that, like everybody else, she's been lying about who she is, and where she's been.

'The Lie' has a far darker strain of comedy than the ones were used to when we have Hurley-centric episodes, but then, the closer we get to the end, the less jolly Hurley has a reason to be. Hurley seems to be ignoring the will of the island, which definitely wants him back. We still don't know what his final role on the show will be, but it's clear that something wants him back, even more than the others on the Oceanic 6. Dark times are afoot.
    My score: 8.8