Lost

The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 2009 on ABC

• I think the writers slept through writing class.

Don't get me wrong. I love this show. But this episode was terrible.

Locke's conversations with each character were, with the possible exception of Jack, exceptionally boring and trite. The conversations basically were all Locke saying, "You need to come back," and the other person saying "No thanks," and that was that. Also, why didn't any of the O6 ask what happened to the island, what with it disappearing and all, or how Locke got back? And when did he tell ANY of them that his fake name was Jeremy Bentham? I realize that the writers couldn't show us everything, but they picked entirely the wrong things in this episode. Utter. Disappointment.
  • The best episode so far, and a sad end... or is it?

This was the episode that a lot of Lost fans were waiting for since the Season 4 finale (probably earlier) and unlike a lot of the other episodes that promised solution, this one, for a change, delivered. And did so in grand style. How did Locke end up off the island? When did he visit the Oceanic 6 (plus Walt)? Why was he using the name Jeremy Bentham? How did that obituary that everybody in the Season 3 finale freeze framed their VCR's for, end up in the paper, thus guaranteeing the return trip to the island? We get a lot of answers, but as always we get a different set of question.

When Locke moved the donkey wheel, he ended up in the exact same place Ben did when he moved the island--- the deserts of Tunisia. Only this time, there were cameras watching that spot. We know who put them there, because the same men who confronted Ben in 'The Shape of Things to Come' arrive and take him... to safety. Locke then comes face to face with the man he's been told is the islands sworn enemy --- Charles Widmore.

Widmore seems more friendly than he ever has to anyone. This has to do with the fact that the man he saw walk into his camp in 1954 is now here (in 2007, like Ben, Locke has traveled through time) without having aged a day. The picture he paints is a much different one than the one we got from Ben --- Ben exiled him from the island after three decades (though again, we never find out how or why) and he has spent the last twenty years or so searching for it. He knows that the Oceanic 6 have been lying, and has been keeping watch on them. Understandably, this is something of a hard sell, and Locke doesn't know why Widmore has decided to help him. He claims that a war is coming, and unless he's back on the island when it happens, the wrong side is going to win. (Widmore is right, but because of his meddling, the wrong side triumphs anyway)

Locke is given money and the false name Jeremy Bentham. (Widmore than delivers one of the episodes few laughs when he explains the name: "Your parents had a sense of humor when they named you, so why can't I?) The man who is going to guide him through this journey is none other than Matthew Abaddon, and Locke just manages to hide his recognition. Perhaps he is more distracted by the fact that Abaddon brings out a wheelchair for him to travel in. Yes, Locke has a broken leg, but he could've hobbled about on crutches. This seems deliberate, as if Abaddon wants Locke to fail at his journey.

One by one, we follow Locke as he travels the world making his visits. When he finds Sayid in Santo Domingo, doing humanitarian work, he treats Locke with barely veiled contempt. He seems to have gained some kind of equilibrium, but one wonders just how polite he would've been had he known who was financing Locke's trip. Locke then goes to New York to visit Walt. I'm still not sure why he went there (maybe he thought of using him to substitute for one of the Oceanic 6) but Walt was the only one who wasn't surprised to see him, and actually seems glad that he's here. He tells him he had a dream, and on it Locke was back on the island, in a suit, and people wanted to hurt him. Now we all know Walt is special, and maybe he had a bit of foresight here, but Locke, who wanted for Walt to embrace it on the island, shrugs it off, and can't bring himself to bring this young man back into the madness that is sure to ensue.

Locke than travels to California, where he visits Hurley at Santa Rosa. AT first Hurley just thinks he dead, but even when he sees that Locke is alive he's indifferent, and he goes positively haywire when he sees that Abaddon is guided him. Even when tells Locke that Abaddon is not to be trusted, Locke ignores it, and Hurley just walks away, convinced he's evil. Abaddon then admits that he was disguised as an orderly when he saw him at the hospital right after Locke was paralyzed. He claims that his role is to get people where they need to be. That may have been why he assembled the team on the freighter, but they sure as hell weren't there to help anybody other than Widmore. We trust this guy even less.

When he visits Kate, the contempt is no longer being veiled--- she's openly hostile, and has no interest in saving anybody. She then asks Locke if he's ever been in love. When he tells her the truth--- he was, but his obsession cost him everything--- she's even more aggressive, telling him he hasn't changed at all. Locke has been mulling this over for awhile asks if they can find Helen. Abaddon does --- she's been dead for the past two years. (Locke apparently doesn't realize that if he'd been rescued, he would probably have been reunited with Helen, just as Sayid was reunited with Nadia. They would've had time together, and maybe that would've been enough to keep him away.) While leaving the cemetery, Abaddon is assassinated, and his terror trying to get away, he's involved in a collision.

He's ends up in Jack's hospital, but when Locke tries to cease upon this as fate, Jack calls it nothing more than probability. Jack got a slight growth of beard, and is slurring his words, but apparently he's still able to hold it together to chew out the man who opposed him every step of the way on the island. When Locke tells him that Christian says hello (unwittingly putting into action the events that will lead him back to the island) this a major blow to Jack, but he manages to keep his poker face (barely) until he's out of the room.

Having failed in every respect, Locke goes to a rotten hotel room, buys a length of extension cord, writes his suicide note, and prepares to hang himself. But just as he's about to jump off the desk, who should pop up but Ben? (Okay, we did see him in New York, so it's not a total surprise.) He then pleads with Locke not to do this, that Jack has bought his ticket to Sydney, and that somehow he reached him, and he can do it with the others as well. The scene is extraordinary as Locke finally allows himself to be talked down from killing himself. Then he tells Ben that Jin is still alive, and that the woman he needs to see to get back to the island is Eloise Hawking. The instant he hears this, Ben grabs that same extension cord, and uses it to strangle Locke (not unlike how Sawyer killed Anthony Cooper) He then takes Jin's ring, leaves Locke's body to look like a suicide, wipes the room clean of fingerprints,, and leaves Locke behind, with the words: "I'll miss you, John."

Why did Ben kill Locke is a question we're never going to get a real answer to. Did Ben think that it would be easier to get the Oceanic 6 back knowing Locke was dead? (Perhaps he was the one who wrote the obituary) Did he do it because he got the information he needed, and then Locke was expendable? Or did he really do it because he thought Locke was the Chosen One, and that when they brought his body back to the island, what appears to have happened would happen? For on the island, it seems that John Locke has come back from the dead.

A more pertinent question is what has happened on the island. For it appears that the plane somehow manage to crash on Hydra Island. (Was that really its name? Oh well, it seems to be canon now, so let's go with it. The passengers appear to have survived and seem a lot more organized than they did when Oceanic crashed. Two of them, Caesar and Ilana (the woman escorted Sayid on board) seem to be a lot more certain of themselves than people who have just been involved in... what? Because it seems that Ajira didn't crash. There was turbulence, a flash of light, some of the people on the plane disappeared (we now know they time traveled) and somehow the plane landed. This seems even more extraordinary than the circumstances that brought Oceanic 815 to the island. And the fact that Locke seems to be alive and well that seems to be the least shocking thing about it.

Locke says that he remembers dying, who the Dharma Initiative was, and that he spent a hundred days on the island. This is probably as good a time to start lying, and yet, contrary to the Oceanic 6, he's apparently more honest than ever. Which makes us wonder what kind of fireworks are going to erupt when Ben regains consciousness.

All the episodes about Locke are among the most fascinating Lost did, yet this episode is a little more special than others. For one thing, this is the last time that we will see the confused, worried, beaten-down man John Locke we've come to know and (doggone it) love. Terry O'Quinn has always given some of the most extraordinary work on this show (and he will again, but with a different subtext from now) but this performance shows him at the top of his game, particularly in the last long scene at the hotel, before and after Ben reenters. He always felt like a failure, and this episode shows that he had literally reached the end of his rope before he showed up. The expressiveness of his face is that of arguably the most versatile actor in a brilliant cast.

'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' does seem to live up to the title, even if it makes that whole period in the finale of referring to him as Bentham seem, you know, like bad writing. We want to know what happened and we want to see what comes next, but we're not going to get answer for awhile. Lost is about to begin another part of the journey--- this time thirty years in the past.
    My score:10
  • Great acting, too many "loose ends"

I am catching up in hopes to watch Season 6 on tv so am a little late in reviewing.

As many of the other reviewers have said - this had some great acting but the logic is growing very thin for me (and I'm great at suspending disbelief).

Two bad things:

1) People keep wondering why Ben talks Locke off the ledge only to kill him. Ben kills Locke immediately after Locke reveals the name of Daniel's mother. That's all he was looking for - a way to get back to the island that is now jumping through time.

2) Daniel's mother said something that really baffled me. "Why do you think that no one was able to find you?" implying that they had been jumping through time the whole time they were on the island. That doesn't make much sense. She helped Whitmore get there and both the Dharma and the Others have been traipsing back and forth to the island for decades. So there has to be some other explanation NOT that it's been moving through time. Also, if it were moving through time when they were on the island, wouldn't their stuff appear and disappear as it's doing now? I can only conjecture that it's so hard to get to get back NOW because it's stuttering through time and the proper bearings have been lost.

3) And the whole recreate the scene as best you can. Really? Why? Any real reason for that? Ben wasn't there before nor were all the other passengers. They weren't in 1st class before. I could go on. And then the 6 go to some other point in time while all the rest who weren't the Oceanic 6 go to the present. Huh?
  • Quite possibly the best episode of LOST to date.

The life and death of Jeremy Bentham is as good as the all time best episodes of lost such as The Constant, Through the Looking Glass and The Shape of Things to Come. The episode explains exactly how Locke got the Oceanic 6 to believe him and want to come back to the island as well as explaining how he died. This episode is special for very many reasons such as Terry O'Quinn does a fine job of getting the viewer sad and feel badly for him. I could not believe that Ben was the one that killed Locke. Lost continues to get better and better through this season and i cannot wait til next weeks episode!
  • This was Amazing. I loved it. Ben's a lying bastard.

I enjoyed every second of this episode. If you notice it took place during the season 3 with the flash backs. i hated when the middle eastern man got shot, he seem pretty tight. Ben is annoying though. I seriously want to know know what exactly he wants. His helpful but why? Why does he do bad things? But over all it was very enjoyable. And the next weeks episode looks amazing. As you notice the main characters are all back together. I wonder what happened to the plane crash or the flash when Oceanic 6 disappeared. So much running in my mind. I want to also know more about Christian, Jacks dad. now we know why Jack was obsessed with going back to the Island back in the end of season 3 when he said We have to go back.
  • OMG! What the heck did i just watch? Well, I watched quite possibly the BEST breath taking episode ever!!!

Seriously I was gasping the entire episode. The real breathtaking scene was Ben killing Locke. Ow my god, I didn't dream that scene right? Theres no sleeping for me til the next episode. Ben murdering Locke will not get out of my head. :D

I'm begining to think Widmore really is the good guy. Wow, actually he is the good guy. He's just after Ben and tries to bring him down, which he deserves. :P

This was the only and most anticipated episode of the year and it was well worth the wait. The only thing I found very useless was Walt's scene. What was that for? I thought he would have a bigger role this season but I guess I was wrong. Oh well, whatever I didn't mind it -- he got SO BIG. Can't wait for the reunion next week. Sawyer looks like he saw a ghost in the previews. It's gonna ROCK!!!
  • Locke's journey off the Island, with mysterious characters coming along to get even more mysterious.

This might just be the most confusing episode of Lost this season, but when it comes to Lost, confusing isn't bad. It's actually very thrilling. And thrilling, 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' was indeed. After seeing this, it becomes hard to tell who is the good guys and who is the bad guy. And I feel it will be a long time before we know. In the review I made for '316', I said that each time I say to myself that they can't do more than this, and finally they do. Well, they did it again. Not only was it impressively good, we actually learn a lot. Such as how Locke died, what did he do off the Island, what does Widmore want with the Island (not literally, but at least partly), who is Abbadon (again, partly), what happened to anyone from the plane other than the 3 in '316', and I could go on. But my point is, there is no reason to keep saying now that nothing gets explained. A lot IS explained, the only this is that there are so much mystery in the show that what we do learn is only a portion of what we want to know. But it wouldn't be right to be told everything so early on. This show is about a group of people who get thrown in a situation where they don't know what's going on. And it revolves about those people. So why would we know more than they do? That way, we go on an epic journey in places we never dreamed of, and that's what fiction is about to me. I say let the producers make the show the way they already do. As this latest episode proved, it's perfect this way.
  • Very good episode

This episode was awesome - maybe there wasn't that much action but it was very important for us to know all that thing. It was a huge plot development (as I was wondering - why Lock left the Island just few days after Oceanic Six but they returned after three years). I love Lock, he's the only one that knows what is going on - but he had this crysis. Fortunately his death meant something :) But this Ben guy - what was his problem? Why did he kill Ben after he heard Eloise's name... Well this is what Lost is all about - mysteries :D
  • The Best Episode Yet?

The Best Episode Yet? Anyone noticed how fast-paced this season is going? So many reveals, so many backstory...

after "this place is death" I thought it was the best.... then after "306" I thought iit was the best again.... after this one I am still amazed how amazing, intriguing and PERFECT that episode was.... dont understand how anyone can give this less than nine. BEST EPISODE YET!

that was perfect

LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST
  • FINALLY

This is what I have been waiting for all season. I was starting to get a little nervous because I hadn't gotten the same old "LOST feelings" (of course except for Jin's amazing return but I knew he wasn't really dead) but this brought them all back. Finally things are starting to fall into place. With all the different background stories and the retracing of the footsteps that have been going on - I was almost beginning to think the writers underestimate us LOST fans. Now don't get me wrong I love a good surprise here and there but when the surprises start getting predictable and stop making any form of sense that's when I think its time get your crap together and tonight they clearly did. With the tie-ins of Helen and Walt and C.W. behind the scenes this whole time, the reason Locke took his life altering walk-about... frigen awesome. Call me nostalgic but I love the connections and reunions with old characters. Can't wait for next weeks, and the question on my mind and everyone elses' mind I'm sure is "Who really is the bad guy!!?"
  • WOWWWWW i might not write much cuz i'm still speechless!

Lost does not in any way cease to amaze me, WOWWWWW, it just gets better and better like fine wine. Ben u sneaky doggg, widmore maybe the antagonist after all!!, abadonn's gone just like that!!, HOWW is Caesar (i like him already) seeing Locke if he's dead?!?!!, there just wayy too many questions lingering in my mind, i cannot wait another second to see next weeks episode, i'm still shaken up from this one.Ohh how i'm going to enjoy watching the whole season uninterupted when it comes on dvd later on in the year, And i'm definately going to lose sleep having to wait till next week!!
  • Locke is Jesus.

Now I have to say this episode was amazing, with lots of huge developments and great Locke moments. It had it's flaws here and there, especially the early "meeting" scenes(Hurley,Sayid). They weren't as much flawed as they were dull. But with the expection of those, it was simply excellent.

Locke's resurrection, the Locke/Jack scene and the cliffhanger was all goosebump worthy. However the core and the meat of this episode was the Ben/Locke scene.

I didn't see the fact coming that Ben KILLED Locke... that was incredibly tragic, dramatic and well done. Terry O'Quinn just got his second emmy right there... I was literally gasping for air. Lost is on a roll. NOTE: The actual score is 9.5 due to the slightly dull scenes in the middle, but TV.com doesn't let me rate it that, only 9.0 or 10.
  • "I can keep a promise..."

WHAAATTT!!!! yeah this episode was very captivating
    we see how lockes struggles to convince the Oceanic 6...
    We also know what happened to the rest of the plane...

We saw Waaaaalt, and now we know why he wasnt on the "We have to go back club".

Also we find out why Jack started to be a drinker and decided to go back.

We see the unexpected death of Jeremy Bentham... Fricking sad and shocking!!! I LOVE LOCKE!!!

SPOILERS!!

I know that most of people now think that Ben is pure evil... but i think there might be a 5% out of 100% he is good... i mean maybe he knew he was going to live in the island... and LOCKE wasnt suppose to kill himself... OMG!!! he really was going to try to convince them again...then BANG!!! the attack!!
    cant wait for next episode!!
  • A Locke-centric episode.

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. It was absolutely amazing, and this is definitely one of the best episodes ever of Lost. I usually don't like episodes of Lost that are centered around Locke that much, but I have to say that I absolutely loved this episode. There were so many great things about this episode. For starters, it was really great getting to see Charles Widmore again. He's such a great character. It was great to finally see Locke's conversations with that he had with people who left the island telling him that they need to go back to the island. I have to say that I'm really intrigued by the characters Caesar and Ilana, and I'm anxious to see more of them in the future. This episode was definitely full of excitement and interesting plot twists. In closing, I thought that this was an extremely well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.
  • Finally the gap is bridged between Lockes leaving the island and his return to it.

This was a great episode of Lost, maybe the greatest. We get to see what happens to Locke after leaving the island and it was worth the wait. Widmore's involvement is becoming more and more interesting and seeing him help Locke was great. Ben is becoming more ominous than he was before, which I did not even think could happen, very well written. The new characters are starting to take shape and it will be interesting to see where that element is taking us. It was a pity to see Mathew Abbadon go, but I guess sacrifices must be made.
  • I'm a little confused as to what everyone is clamoring about. Was this episode a good episode? Yes. However, it was not fantastic and defintley not a series classic.

I'm a little confused as to what everyone is clamoring about. Was this episode a good episode? Yes. However, it was not fantastic and definitely not a series classic.

First off, the acting was phenomenal. I'll agree that Terry O'Quinn definitely nailed his part as John Locke. In most of his scenes you are totally invested in his character especially in the later scenes, but I'll get into that later. (Although, I would have like a little bit more emotion at the cemetary, but I think I'm just nitpicking now) While Mr. O'Quinn did a fantastic job, it was Michael Emerson who brought the episode home. While I'm on the subject of Ben, the only real standout scene in the episode was the dramatic scene between Locke and Ben. And the rest of the reviews on this site will reflect this. As the scene begins we see Locke preparing his suicide note; "Jack, I wish you would have believed me. Locke" But as John prepares to take the fall, Ben rushes in to save the day (or so we think). And Emerson (as well as O'Quinn)completely and entirely nails this scene. We are so ready and willing to believe that Ben has saved Locke that we are shocked and appalled when, out of nowhere, Ben violently strangles John with the extension cord Locke was about to hang himself. Aside from this, there weren't many other compelling scenes. Although, the Jack scene was pretty good too (mainly due to Mathew Fox.) Also I quite enjoyed the confusion that Charles Widmore and Ben have created. Just who is the bad guy? Although they had better answer it quick because if the producers keep rubbing our faces in it, it's gonna get old real quick.

A couple of the reviews on this site said that from watching this episode, we now know what Locke said to the oceanic 6. Well, I have a question to that. Who gives a rat's ass? Aside from Jack, the others didn't really matter. We already knew that Locke had talked to them and they had said they weren't going back, what he had said to most of them was irrelevant. It changed nothing! (Again aside from Jack.) I wish I cold have been as captivated as everyone else but the truth is, had it not been for the now infamous Ben-Locke scene, the episode would probably just be average.
  • Terry O'Quinn might get some Emmy consideration for that emotional segment before his attempted suicide.

It was a stellar scene. Now let me be clear- in the "man of science vs. man of faith" debate (my favorite of all the themes on this show) I am strongly in Jack's corner. That's just the way my mind works, and I like to find the scientific or practical explaination for everything. but there's no denying some of the ammunition John has backing him up. Destiny is a funny thing.

In the Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham, we see the work Locke was put to after returning to the real world; the task of bringing everyone back to the island- which proved more difficult than he would imagine. It's interesting that Whidmore, Ben and Locke all want everyone to retun to the island, yet all for different reasons. unfortunately, it seems Locke might only be a pawn in Linus and charle's deadly war. This show is always great about playing who's good and who's bad.

Locke's scenes with each of the 06 (Sun is replaced with Walt here) are interesting and welcome. (Sayid turing "extreme home makeover" on us was a bit funny to me.) We learned the fate of his only love, Hellen, and the annoyingly and unecessaryly cryptic Matthew Abbadon finally bit the dust! I should say that the Jeremy Bentham alias was handled much too lightly, considering how important it was everyone call him that in the S3 finale.

Save for the confusing resurection business with the new plane crash survivors, this was a well-crafted episode. I was thinking to myself the ep could have been even more exciting if we didn't already know how Locke died- this would have given us the chance for a bit of a guessing game (The car crash, Hurley believes it happened when he broke his leg, etc.) But the pay off was john with that noose, in a scene more out of desperation and despair than destiny. (Jack why were you so mean to him?)

But I'm a little confused: Why would Ben go to the trouble of saving John from killing himself, only to kill him himself minutes later, and make it look like John killed himself? I'm sure they will explain that redundancy in a future episode. They better...
  • As is usual with Lost, some answers are revealed and even more questions are asked.

This was a truly excellent episode of Lost which answered lots of questions about the mystery of how Locke ended up in a coffin as Jeremy Bentham and how the oceanic 6 (minus Aaron) returned. I am so looking forward to the showdown between Ben and Charles Widmore which must be coming. The way Ben persuaded Locke not to kill himself and then murders him straight afterwards was so shocking. The emotions really ran high through this episode which has not been the case with many of this season's episodes which have been a little more action orientated. Well done!
  • Very powerful episode.

I was disappointed with Lost's episode last week. It was boring and seems like the writers were sleep deprived when they wrote it. This week everything changed. The love of my life, lost has lit my fiery passion towards it again. This episode was everything I expected and more. The storyline revolves around how Locke got off the island,his attempts to bring the oceanic six back,how he died and him coming back to life after coming back to the island. Many would think death then life and then death is very difficult thing to pull off without a mess of storylines but Lost did positively well. We see Locke being approached by Widmore after having his leg treated in Tunisia. Then we see Locke attempt to get Kate,Sayid and Hurley on the team but unfortunately he was unsuxcessul and Locke also visits Walt. Everything up to the point after he sees Walt was intersting. Some of our questions were answered. The intensity levels were starting to grow and everything was buliding up to the final fifteen minutes. The fifteen minutes in whih Locke finds out the love of his life Helen passed away due to an anurisme in her brain. After Locke finding out about the tragedy, his driver or " reach your destination helper " got shot. Locke escapes in Abbadon's car resulting in an shocking and exciting car crash. What I thought was that was the way he died but I should have known better. Lost always has a surprise in store. Locke ends up in a hospital which " Incidently " is where Jack works. Locke tries to get Jack on board but fails again. In a very intense and suspenseful, adreneline level rasing scene, Locke tries to kill himself but is stopped by Ben who then in a heart stopping moment ends up killing Locke. Everything in this episode was perfect ! Everything ! I am usually very mean when it comes to critisizing Lost because of it's very complex storylines which tend to " jump the shark " every now and then, but this episode was mind blowingly terrific. The acting ? Terry was magnificent. The first time I like Locke's character. The writing ? Brilliant ! Will I be watching next week ? Ofcource !!! Ten out of ten :D
  • Outstanding! The usual brillance that is Lost.

I must admit that prior to the episode, I was a bit sceptial of what would come. With the stories evolving around the oceanic six not being as enthralling as the events on island with sawyer and co. But after watching the episode, all I can say is Wow-Wee. From the opening scenes with Caesar and crew speaking to Locke; who has got colour back into his cheeks, to the end of the episode, where Locke comes face to face with his murderer. Also with the mysterious Matthew Abaddon and the sinister Charles Widmore (showing his gentle side) appearing quite dominant in the episode, filling in some of the gaps of the Lost world and slowly nudges us towards the momentous confrontation between Ben and Widmore. It was welcome break away from the island. Whilst talking about Ben, my favourite moment of the episode was when within a blink of an eye; Ben turns from helping Locke to suddenly murdering him. Which again makes it harder to see if he's fighting the good fight or for his own wants. And on that note, I can't wait for the next episode to premiere. Lastly, I have to say a deep heart sorrow for Matthew Abaddon and the pain of putting away a wheelchair.
  • Totally of inormation episode.

When i first time saw title of this episode that mean "The life and death of Jeremy Bentham ( John Locke)" I knew that will be a very special episode and I had right. This episode talking exactly about his what I think , what do John Locke after left the island. Suprise to me was looking Charles Widmore which help John.... later of course story about meeting John with Oceanic Six thta must be in this episode so that was not suprise for me. The special point of episode was conversation beetwen John and Ben and ( come on that can`t be... ) Ben killed John... I am still totally confused after that scene, I really not to expect that... brilliant moment :) Of course we dont know how John can back to live on the island but this only making tension.

No it`s time to waiting for next episode, for that episode ?? naturally note 10.

Ave Lost :)
  • Raise from the death Mr John Locke you are in the island!

So now the island doesn't only cure Locke it also brings him back from the death, maybe this is some kind of clue to Jack's father appeareances in the island. This was a very interesting episode and very informative above all for example we find out Ben actually killed Locke he didn't commit suicide.That scene I didn't get. Why Ben kills Locke when he alone was going to go along with it and instead leaving possible prints? Maybe it has something to do with Eloise Hawking's mentioning. I liked very much the hospital scene where John and Jack were arguing.I think we saw great acting by two wonderful characters trying to defend their beliefs. It's more than clear why Walt couldn't be in the show anymore , I mean he looks like a 20 yeard old! and the writers did a good job bringing him back three years into the future. So now it all comes back to the island , everyone is there now and I am excited to see what other plots and character development are in this wonderful season , so far it was one of Lost's greatest.
  • The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham: Review

After last weeks episode I expected and hoped for this episode to be as good as the last and you know what it was. This episode was a great emotional episode with loads of character and story development. We learn about what John Locke did after he left the island how he persuaded people to go back to the island and of course how he died. This was a much darker episode than where used to we saw a emotional Locke attempt to hang himself, this was a very well performed scene Terry O Quinn did a great job but he is then interrupted before he goes through with it by Ben knocking on his door. Michael Emerson was also great in this scene his character Ben showed a softer and more caring side as he persuades John to get down and not got through with it but then he totally kills him in a quick turn of events. I loved what Ben said to Locke " I will really miss you John, I really will" this in my opinion was the best scene and and the best acted scene in the whole series of Lost it was superb.

Other great things in this episode was John meeting with Widmore and his conversations with Mathew Abbadon. It was great to learn more about Abbadon before he was shockingly killed. I also like The scene with Walt it's always great to see Walt and the scene with Kate where Locke opened up about his relationship with Helen (Who is now dead, a lot of characters died here). I really enjoyed the part with Jack there was some great acting here and it was great to see those two characters in there first proper scene of this season a good old Jack and John arguement.

I loved this episode it is one of my favorites of the show its up there with "The Man Behind The Curtain" and "The Shape Of Things To Come"

10 out of 10.
  • This is less of a review, but more of an answer to the questions I read from people that really "didn't get it" (not understanding something, doesn't make it stupid).

I really liked this episode.
    Yes the dialog part with the O6 Locke met were "low action" scenes. That doesn't make them bad.

Some people noticed that he doesn't mention his new name to all the people. Well not mentioning on screen, doesn't mean not mentioning at all. Also goes for the other things that they say are missed. Or the questions NOT asked by O6. Maybe they did ask them. Esp. for Jack, Jack knows the new ID of Locke since Locke was submitted to the hospital with his new papers.

We do learn things, even from the little dialogs he has with the O6 people. Esp. Michael's son, I find his reaction pretty normal. Remember, he went through A LOT plus he is one of the "special" people (so he might already know more than meets the eye). I am not sure if this role is faded out just yet.

As for Lockes old love. She could be dead or not. We cannot be sure. Even if she was alive, people that try to guide Locke to do what he is supposed to, can easily fake a tombstone (they can do more than that - even THEM killing here for real). So no problems in the plot there either.

I am not convinced on which of the two "war fronts" (as seems clear now) is good and which is bad. If you ask me, possibly both are bad and we need to get a good one from our original Lost team (Locke, or even Jack) to be the next to take over and clean all the mess.

I cannot forget what Widmore did when he first met Desmond, or his 17 years old character, or the camera where he hit a guy with his bare hands. Not a "good person" by standard measures (but what is standard in Lost?).

Ben could know that Locke is gonna return from the dead, but on the other hand, he says "I'll miss you" so maybe not.

Maybe everybody is a pawn for the guy in the cabin. ;)

Talking about Ben, I am not sure why people find it strange that he first saved Locke then killed him. It's BEN people! He heard what he wanted to hear (I don't say "expected" or "not expected", that remains to be seen), then put things back on track.

Abbadon dead. Interesting. This doesn't mean it's the last we see of him. I am not saying the (now usual) resurrection but he was much involved in people's "past", let's not forget.

The... bravest thing of all though, was for the writers to keep the NEW flight people (not just the O6 and the two new guys, but the whole flight) in the show. Brave. ONE MORE Losties team, with all the implications this could have. I wonder where Lapidus went. I never expected he would crash the plane, it was clear from what he did with the helicopter too ("what? crash it? I didn't say I crashed it"). After all the plane was just struck by the inter-dimensional movement, not by electromagnetic forces that Desmond crashed the original 815.

The two new guys (what's the name of the male? Ceasar?), I am not sure if they are ok. Certainly look like Widmore personnel. We'll see.

People saying "nothing happened" or "filler"... erm... did you really see the episode?
  • Awesome

Wow. Lost just keeps getting better and better. We learn a great deal about John Locke and his alias of jeremy bentham. Not only do we explore old characters and their backstories, but two new characters, the mysterious caesar and ilana? I love it when lost introduces new characters because its always for a good reason and ever character is interesting anfd brings something new to the story. The only bad thing im gunna day about thsi episdoe, is the parst when john goes to visit the oceanic 6. I thought they were just a little dragged out, but overall it was amazing. Terry O'quinn desrves an emmy :)
  • How Locke got off the island and died!

Another incredible episode in the best show ever LOST. We finally learn how Locke got off the island and how and why he died. This was an incredible episode that kept me on the edge of my seat and how Locke really died was really interesting in my opinion. Locke gets off the island and finds out that he might have to die in order to bring his friends back to the island which will stop the time travel and save the survivors still on the island. Locke was first trying to commit suicide then Ben found him, then Ben strangled Locke and he died!.
  • what an AWESOME ep !

what i can say !! this show is gettin BETTER and BETTER every episode !!
    loved all the 45 min from the start to the end !
    and " JOHN , BEN " put them togather all the time cuz they ganna rock ur world !! it's really one of the breath taking eposdes and scence !

Seriously I was gasping the entire episode. The real breathtaking scene was Ben killing Locke. Ow my god . can wait for the reunion next week . Terry you going to win your sacend EMEY award !
    and BEN you are going to win too ! !
  • Another Incredible Episode Of Lost!!

Wow what an episode. If you are looking for a lot of island time you won't get it in this episode. This episode deals strictly with John Locke and how he really died. After John fixes the islands wheel and leaves, he ends up in Tunisia with a compound fracture in his leg, only to be saved by Charles Widmore. Widmore feeds him a story about Ben being the evil one. He sends Locke under the alias of Jeremy Bentham out to find the Oceanic 6 to get them to return to the island with the return of Matthew Abaddon as his driver who later gets killed by Ben. Locke strikes out with all of the Oceanic 6, trying to get them to come back to the island. He had been told earlier by Richard that he had to die in order to get them back. Just as he is about to kill himself, Ben knocks on the door pretending to want to help and save him only to kill him. At this point it is unknown who is telling the truth Widmore or Ben.

In the end Locke ends up back on the island with no recollection of how he got there. The plane he was on had crashed on the island and one of the survivors was Ben and Locke remembered that Ben had killed him.

This was another great installment of Lost with some answers and more questions. Hopefully the upcoming episodes will answer some of those questions. The biggest questions, what are the motives of Ben and Widmore, who is telling the truth, who is truly out to help the people on the island and what are their plans for the island.
  • The curious case of Benjamin Linus

What's with this Benjamin guy and his extraordinary high body count, anyway?
    Now he prevents dumb Locke from suicide, only to kill him with his own hands and stages a suicide afterwards... wow, that's what I call sportsmanship.
    Is this the moment where I supposed to feel shocked or something? Well, actually I felt a little shocked because of the fact, that I spent time on this show again, but hey.. I get it now! I mean, it's so obvious now with all the black somke and polarbears gone and Jack's growing a beard and Hurley never loses a pound, it makes total sense, doesn't it?
  • Like the previous episode, this episode was interesting, but had better dialogues and interactions, and had the type of strange mysteries that is usual in Lost. Overall, another superb episode about Locke and his psychological State.

Plot Details/Objective -» Was a clever move making us wait to see what happened in 3 years to Sawyer and Co. This episode is highly focused in John Locke and his mission to bring back the Oceanic Six.

What I Like/Disliked -» This is another episode that surprises me. Because the episode is nothing over the top and fast enough, it is just good interaction and reflections, with some surprises inside.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). If you didn´t saw the trailer, than it is a great surprise and a intriguing one.

Complication Phase -» (9/10). Locke mission was difficult, but what was more interesting was Locke dialogues with every characters.

Climax -» (8/10). The writers already told us that Locke committed suicide, but they save a surprise about how that happened, which was nice.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). This is the type of ending that was well delivered because of the Storyline built and the Climax phase. Now things will be interesting.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). There aren´t a single interaction that seems to be forced to buy some time.

Dialogues -» (10/10). Locke talks with everyone he needs. Was nice to know what happened to Ellen. Also the strange guy in the first episode appeared here and have nice talk with Locke too. Even Wildmore, Kate, Jack, Sayid, Walt and Hurley had good interactions with Locke.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). Wasn´t a episode for this, but had some shooting, accident and a murder.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). Wasn´t perfect, but you have good emotions there. Locke psychological state was very interesting, even when he tried the suicide.

Suspense/Tension -» Wasn't a episode for that.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (9/10). Walt dreams, how Locke is alive, what the two new survivors of the AJira flight objective, Why the pilot disappeared etc, the usual structure of Lost series.

Surprise/Twists -» (9(10). Locke is alive, this is enough. But Ben delivered another surprise, even the appearance of that strange guy.

< 1 2