Lost

The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 2009 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• There's something to be said for the quality of an episode that engenders such unprecedented excitement.

As if one week of exaggerated platitudes wasn't enough, now online forums are awash again with the sound of voices hyperactively screaming from the rooftops. "OMGLOLZ best episode EVA!!!", they tend to bellow, clicking the '10' button on the 'rate this episode' poll and sending the average score to an all-time high: at the time of writing, it sits neatly atop the pile with a remarkable 9.7. Doubtless this will change, and probably decrease, as the hours and days roll on and a more considered semblance of sanity creeps in, but there's certainly something to be said for the quality of an episode that engenders such unprecedented excitement. It's not the greatest hour of the show - in fact, it's not the best this season either - but it's unquestionably something a little special. It doesn't reveal a great deal (although there are a couple of huge explanations) and essentially, the story coasts along at a leisurely pace, not doing much that hasn't already been inferred elsewhere. However, the important factor here is engagement, which is not the exclusive property of unpredictability. It can also be sustained through strong writing, characterisation and acting, all of which 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' has in spades.

This is Terry O'Quinn's chance to shine and boy, does he. From his emotional reconciliations with Kate to the pre and post aborted suicide attempt sequences with Ben, every word, every sentence, every nuance of his performance is nothing other than pitch perfect. More than any other cast member, O'Quinn is the character he is portraying, so much so that I find it hard to believe that I have ever watched him in anything else, let alone engaged with him as a recurring character on Millennium for three years. Just check out his body language when he's talking about Helen: something as simple as a persistent gaze towards the floor or a searching, irritated set of minor gesticulations sells the psychological enormity of his feelings to the viewer. The dialogue is barely even needed; so much is said in his external reaction. Then there's the marvellously executed scene with Jack, in which our central heavyweights duke out the science vs. faith dichotomy one more time, only, on his occasion, Locke actually gets a chance to sucker punch his counterpart with something concrete. The writing is astonishing here, building logically and tragically towards John's ultimate suicide attempt. With each and every encounter the man is pummelled further and further into the ground by those that he so clearly cares about and Jack's vocalisation of the sort of internal doubts and self-loathing that you just know run through Locke's head ("you're just a sad, lonely old man", "you're not special" etc.) is the final straw. However, it is certainly rewarding to see the beginning of Jack's comeuppance and descent further into darkness when Locke reveals that Christian spoke to him. Matthew Fox is brilliant here, subtly demonstrating the conflict that clearly now resides within his character.

And then, of course, there's Ben. Hats off to all involved in this one: it is a strong contender for best scene of the season. In fact, I'll throw my towel into the ring and say yeah, this is the greatest thing I've seen Lost spew at us so far this year. Perhaps the most effective and well written piece of character interplay since Mr. Linus squared off against Mr. Widmore in 'The Shape of Things to Come' last year. Inevitably, when you throw O'Quinn and Emerson together in an emotionally charged situation, sparks are going to fly but just look at how brightly they burn. O'Quinn sells Locke's self-doubt and frustration amazingly well and the juxtaposition of this, the man at the end of his rope (literally) with the man desperately trying to piece everything back together for his own endgame, works wonders. There are so many levels to the scene: first, you have a concerned individual trying to prevent another's death. The viewer sympathises with Locke and clearly wants him to survive, so is rooting for Ben's words to ring true. Second, the paradigmatic dramatic irony established at the culmination of the previous season, and qualified last week, keeps us questioning the outcome: we are certain that Ben won't convince Locke because we know he commits suicide... or do we? Could there be some other way in which he dies? Pretty soon, once he begins to step down from the table, we're questioning whether the bloke was ever dead at all and wasn't just put in a deep coma and bundled into a coffin for show. The awareness of Locke's inevitable passing casts additional aspersions onto the scene and has you searching for answers, mistrusting the course of the narrative that is apparently unfolding before you. And finally, you have Ben's motivation, the viewer's understanding of his duplicitous nature which feeds into the dramatic irony and ensures that you're questioning his intentions as he's speaking, contesting the validity of his words. In effect, the scene co-ordinates something of a brainstorm in the viewer's mind, ensuring that the variously ambiguous features of the narrative are bounced off one another and therefore generate a great deal of thought and, crucially, engagement.

There's certainly pause for thought elsewhere too. The revelation that Widmore is the vessel through which Locke catches up with his old friends is hugely intriguing and both reinforces and strengthens the prominence of the Ben/Charles binary, the question of whose side is 'right', if either, in this mini-characterial war. On this theme, Ben's shocking execution of Locke ensures that the possibility that the previously established 'evilness', if you will, of Alan Dale's character is a misinterpretation is given considerable validity. There seems to be a large amount of debate online regarding Linus' reasons for doing away with the Island's supposed leader and while I will reserve judgement for now and see what Lindelof and Cuse deal out later, my suspicions err on the side of concern about the depth of Widmore's knowledge of Elouise Hawking. As Ben's recruit, he would wish to protect her from Charles as she provides the only way back to the Island. Still, this is merely conjecture and it's rare that I'm ever right about these things... what I will congratulate myself on, however, is knowing exactly what was going on in the opening scene from the get go thanks to recognising Cezar's face from the airport scene in '316'. Nevertheless, this narrative structure is a wonderful way of weaving the story together and, thankfully, prevents the episode from simply being one giant flashback. There's much to ponder in all of this too: the unresolved nature of the boats, Lapidus and 'the woman', the fact that it appears that the flight came down on the other Island (supported by the fact that Locke can see an Island from his vantage point)... you know, the one with the Hydra station on it. I'm of the belief that this new bunch of Losties are in the Island's present, wherever that may be in the world (somewhere near Guam!), while the Oceanic Six are in its past, in a time when the DHARMA Initiative is active, as the boats that appeared in 'The Little Prince' are here and these have already been established as part of the Sawyer/Juliet etc. Losties' experiences in the future. Thus, the scene from 'TLP' will occur soon, in which we see whomever was in the boat that appeared to be shooting at our heroes. Probably.

'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' is clearly an important stepping stone in the arc of Lost's fifth season. It solidifies the return of all the key players to the Island (or, at least, somewhere near it) and removes the question mark that was hanging over just what Locke did when he 'became' that other English philosopher. It throws a number of fantastic scenes at us that perfectly illustrate the depth and breadth of the acting and writing quality on the show and offers up more than a few shockers too, from Widmore's involvement with Locke to John's apparent resurrection (I'm going to enjoy seeing this one explained) to, best of all, Ben murdering the guy. And in amongst all of that, there's a flurry of questions regarding the survivors of the Guam plane's crash and their presence in the timeline to ponder as well. Oh, and the return (and summary execution) of creepy Agent Broyles from Fringe and, shock of shocks, Walt. It isn't the best episode ever, no matter what the forums might have you believe: there are a couple of small moments that drag slightly, but it's fantastic all the same. Just like last week. Damn, I need some new material.
  • The last few episodes have been entertaining but not particularly gripping. This episode restores my faith that the writers know their characters and how to write stories for them.

I was gripped by this episode, as others have mentioned the encounters with the Oceanic 6 (except Sun) are basically 'No' from everyone. However, each character in saying No does react differently. Kate looks down on him, Jack is apprehensive, Sayid has reached a place in his life away from Ben and is happy so why would he, and Hurley just acts plain scared. The inclusion of Walt is a nice little touch as well, we may never see him again but if he does show up then that 3 year gap has nicely given him time to grow up, so not as many problems with the actor ageing.

The main culprits all pop up as well, with the re-introduction of Abbadon as employee of Widmore and Chauffeur to Jeremy Bentham a.k.a. John Locke. Widmore in fact is the first person John properly meets when he first comes out of the Exit, which once again is located in Tunisia. These scenes give us the fact that his Alias was chosen by Widmore and that Widmore was tricked out of control of the Island by Ben. At this point I didn't know if I should believe him or not, especially with the whole War is coming thing. I still don't 100% trust the guy but Ben's deception was truly shocking compared to Widmore.

Abbadon gets a bit of fleshing out but not much in this episode at least we are far clearer on who he is now. He wheeled John around in his wheel chair (nice little bit there considering he was crippled before the island and he needs to be wheeled here) and took him to see Locke's dead girlfriend but nothing completely meaty before Ben executed him. Ben is once again the complete and utter villain and it's clear now that him coming off the island had a purpose. He obviously doesn't want to give up leadership and I'm not entirely sure that Jacob even appointed him anymore. In other words he used the name because it got him the power and the respect of the others once he chucked Widmore off the island. Tricking John like he did was strangely unexpected by me, which says something about the character of Ben in all honesty when you think he is being sympathetic he's actually being a complete and utter ruthless b*****d.

Lastly is the New Losties who seem interesting additions for now. Did anyone realise that the Plane crashed perfectly intact almost as well. How did it do this when Oceanic 816 didn't?
  • Could have been much better which is a shame

Another one of those episodes where you have been waiting for a while to see the answer and when it comes it's a major disappointment (just like Michael and Walt's story in season 4). This really should've been so much better. As has been said before, the chats were just dull. Sayid "no" Kate "no" Hurley "no way dude" (not bad) Jack "no" and storms off. Surely after that bombshell you'd ask a few questions. Not one of them asked a single question. My reaction would have been "Oh my God!! You're off the island. How? What happened to Sawyer?" (Or whoever) etc etc. But they ignored those bits. And the Walt thing, could've been great but a major cop out. Perhaps the actor won't come back. Still, he'd have been a bit more shocked to see a guy he thought was dead? Not a 10 second conversation and then "got to go" A shame but having said that, still enjoyable to an extent and interesting new characters who I look forward to seeing.
  • John Locke back and forth. Some interest/intrigue in this one.

I haven't been a big fan on the John Locke character since day 1, here again he is pushed as the island's key saviour, I don't buy it and he'll end up when all is said and done as the putz who is manipulated by all. Speaking of which, with the winds of war blowing whose side to be on: Linus or Widmore? Both seem like bad news. The timeline of this episode is a little funny, slotted in just before Jack starts going loopy. The new guy Caesar seems like the next Jack, nice safe looking plane crash there on the Lost Alcatraz. All in all better than some other recent episodes.
  • Nothing happened until the last 5 minutes! It felt like a road trip that we've already been on before.

I'm sorry to say, despite being a die hard fan of the past 6 episodes, which I could have rated each a 10, that this episode was the first below par episode out of the past 10-15 previous ones. So now Locke's alive again on the island and the new plane crash people become the new survivors? Okay, okay. I guess this is going to become clearer later. What I didn't get was the slowness to which Locke was driven around by Abbadon to Sayid, Hurley, Walt (why???), Kate and then Jack. Talk about using previously aired footage for like the 3rd time. I don't know, I just felt this was FILLER to the max. Nothing much happened until Abbadon gets hit. That was about 9:40pm. Then he starts writing the note, and preparing for suicide, after talks with Jack go sour. Then we learn Ben is behind the whole thing with Abbadon. The conflicting story is no help either... seems like it's Widmore against Linus or something. Then Ben kills Locke, I guess b/c he said he would die... a promise kept I guess, but still weird.

Back on the island, it appears thew new flight has birthed new "Losties"?! Why? Why did Locke end up there and not with Jack, Sayid, et al. Why did the captain (Lepidus) leave? ... People said it answered some questions, but really, we just learned that Locke visited 4 of the 6 Oceanic 6 and tried to convince them, something which wasn't as entertaining as it sounds. Why do they kill off Helen? Bah... this episode was just not doing it for me.

I absolutely love the writing in this series. I think it's one of the most original and thought-provoking series ever, but the writing here was not up to par. It was sloppy unfortunately and could have been much better. I was preparing for an amazing episode but I felt like I'd seen it all coming already. I'm probably going to get 50 thumbs down, but I just had to say this was not the "magic" we've seen in previous episodes.
  • Some Very Good Scenes, Some Very Bad Scenes

This was the episode. If you looked at all of the episode titles (like I did) before the season began your finger landed on this one and this was the one we were all waiting for. A mystery built on since the end of Season Three Finale and then continued in the Season Four Finale. The episode had high expectations and they were not met, at least not for me. The beginning of the episode was very good. We get to meet Ceasar and Illana and we have a little bit of an extended scene before the show transfers into the flashback mode of the episode. My favorite moment of the episode was when Illana was talking to Locke and when asked what he remembered he answered "I remember dying." I do find it weird that Locke was pinpointed as "never seen on the plane." I thought that was a bit of a stretch. I'm positive that if I were on a plane I would never be able to tell you who was on it and who wasn't when I got off. I understood it in "The Other 48 Days" because that was right around the time they were trying to pin the traitor to the group and at least you had people frantically searching for a face on a plane and in order to agree they were like "Yea, I don't remember him being on the plane." It all worked out because he was on the plane - which actually kind of proves the point. This plane crashes and as soon as Locke wakes up he is questioned as to why he wasn't on the plane? I thought it was a really big stretch. Into the flashback itself, it started off with great promise. Widemore being there when Locke woke up was a great scene. I also liked how Widemore knew what Locke was going through, even getting Locke to tell him that it had only been 4 days since he had seen him. Great stuff. Continue with Widemore, more great stuff. Widemore finding out that Locke left the island on his own free will basically gave Widemore the notion that he might be able to return to the island. I wouldn't be surprised if Ceasar and Illana end up being Widemore's people. Matthew shows up, which was good to see. Locke then goes on a rough patch of people. The Hurley scene was not that good, the Sayid scene was very poor, and the Walt scene didn't even make any sense. He didn't even mention that he was Jeremey Bentham so I do wonder how Walt is able to make the connection when a man in Los Angeles dies under that name. Walt telling that he saw Locke in his dreams was the only real thing that saved these three scenes. Skip ahead to Helen. First of all, love that he at least shows that he still cares about her by asking Matthew to hunt her down. A lot of people say that the gravesite was a fake, but personally I think they just needed Locke to see that there was nothing left for him in the real world. I do believe that she is dead and that we won't be seeing her character anymore. Matthew dying - not a big fan of this but with his commitment over at Fringe I guess they only had one real epsiode to use him. I loved the mystery surrounding his character in The Beginning of the End and the visit in Cabin Fever was amazing but I was not a fan of his role in this episode. I wanted him to have a much better, more important overall role in the show. Locke and Jack. Worst scene of the entire episode. Correction, worst written scene of the entire episode. Terry and Fox did a great job acting in the scene, but this scene was so poorly written. Jack stated in s4 "He told me that a lot of bad things happened. He said it was my fault, for leaving."

Where? Where was any of this mentioned? This killed the episode for me and I was taken aback. Go back to your old scripts, look at them, and say what you were supposed to say. In fact, Jack said that Locke told him that Ben was off the island. He didn't even say that. Poor execution for the most hyped episode this season is going to have. I have a very strong feeling that this episode is going to fall on rewatch even more then it has all ready fallen for me.
  • The rise and fall and rise of John Locke

It's now abundantly clear why the producers chose to air "316" before this installment. Arranging the episodes as produced would have been too jarring, particularly in terms of the framing events set after the Ajira crash. It just wouldn't have made much sense. It doesn't erase some of the other problems with the previous episode, but it does confirm that the rearrangement was the right choice.

If the previous episode failed to deliver on the promises of the long build to the return to the island, then this episode is its polar opposite. This episode managed to tell John Locke's story with a keen eye to continuity, yet at the end, there was a delicious and lethal twist, defying expectation. (This is precisely what was missing from "316", where the story seldom deviated from its anticipated course.)

Revelations abound from the first minute of the episode, where it is revealed that the return to the island (including the small satellite island where the Others used to live, apparently) has resurrected John Locke. He doesn't appear to be anyone other than himself, so this could lay to rest the "possession" theory. How John Locke was brought back to life is a matter to be revealed, just as it remains to be seen if he has the same otherworldly abilities as Christian Shepherd and Claire.

The resurrection could also be a function of leadership of the Others. Ben mentioned, in his off-island confrontation with Widmore, that the two of them were unable to kill each other. This could be more than just some arcane rule between them; it could be tied to the island itself. Richard appears to be immortal, after all, and he appeared to be the leader of the Others back in 1954. (Could every leader be asked to perform a sacrifice? And was Ben's sacrifice the Purge?)

At any rate, the opening sheds light on source of the Ajira canoes back in "The Little Prince", and who the mysterious shooters from the other canoe might have been. While the remaining survivors from the Oceanic Tribe are still unstuck in time, and the returning Oceanic Six members appear to have joined them, Locke and Ben are now in 2008 with the Ajira Tribe. This sets up an interesting three-way conflict on the island. Richard is still protecting the remaining Others, who have a questionable relationship with the Oceanic Tribe, who is probably going to be seen as "others" by the new Ajira Tribe. Nothing like a little healthy competition!

Most of the episode focuses on John Locke's time off the island. Locke has always struggled with his sense of destiny, and no matter how often he's told that he's important, his own insecurities and doubts get in the way. It's not enough for him to believe in himself; he needs others to believe in his importance and his belief in the island. This is exemplified by his endless struggle with Jack. As the poster boy for strident denial, Locke wants to convince Jack more than anyone.

But before Locke has his moment with Jack, his resolve is tested and he is found wanting, time and again. It begins with his decision to trust Charles Widmore on his word, despite knowing full well that Widmore's desire to find the island is not a good thing. Locke even brings up the small matter of sending an execution squad to the island. While it's clear that Widmore wanted Ben out of a personal grudge, he wants to take back control of the island even more. Tricking Locke into revealing the way back to the island is just par for the Widmore course.

It's great to have confirmation that Matthew Abaddon has been working for Widmore all along. One can also assume that Widmore's knowledge of Charlotte's research and investigation into Ben's presence off the island led to his decision to monitor the "exit". There's even the hint that the Oceanic crash was engineered by Widmore himself. It may simply be more manipulation designed to prop up Locke's sense of destiny, but it does fit the long-standing theory that the Oceanic crash was intentional.

All of this plot is actually tangential to the true story, which is the slow but steady desolation of John Locke. He begins his mission to bring back the Oceanic Six with passion, and it quickly falls apart around him. Sayid is probably the most gentle with Locke. He tries to explain that he's lost everything he ever cared for because of the island, and he wants to do something good and useful with his life. (The fact that he's also probably hiding from the authorities doesn't hurt.) He offers Locke the same, but Locke is still bothered by the refusal to believe.

The wound is compounded when he looks up Walt, and he lacks the resolve to demand that the young man return to the island, particularly in light of Michael's fate. It's good to see Locke remember Walt, but it makes sense; Locke has seen Walt in here and there in a vision-esque form (perhaps Cerberus or Jacob?). Walt's warning was certainly ominous, and that may have put Locke off whatever game he had.

Hurley, despite seeing things that aren't necessarily there, sees quite clearly that Locke is being manipulated by Widmore and Abaddon. Kate, however, cuts to the heart of the matter by attacking Locke's psychological need to return to the island. Kate exposes part of the equation: Locke has nothing and no one in the world that he loves, and he's transferring all of that need and lack to the island itself. After all, Locke has nothing that brings him fulfillment. From Kate's point of view, for whom fulfillment has often been sought in another person, it's a logical conclusion.

All of which does little more than underscore what Locke is beginning to realize: that everyone he talks to has found something they can't bear to lose off the island. This all culminates in his encounter with Jack. Jack is literally his last chance, and he pulls out all the stops. Ironically, this becomes the turning point for Jack, who has already been on the brink for quite some time. But Locke doesn't see that; he only experiences yet another failure.

More to the point, Jack slams Locke for believing that he's special or destined for something more. That sort of thinking is the antithesis of everything that Jack believes, so much of what he says is transference, based on Jack's weakening resistance. But those earlier rejections have been adding up, and Locke takes everything that Jack says to heart.

If all of this ended with Locke's suicide, it would fit the continuity and would explain Jack's personal reaction to Locke's death. But that's when the episode delivers its most unexpected twist. Ben stops Locke from committing suicide out of a belief that he can convince Locke to do the right thing in opposition to Widmore. His assurances to Locke sound very sincere, though it's clear that he wants to use Locke for his own purposes.

Things change dramatically when Locke mentions that he won't go to Sun because of his promise to Jin. Considering all the warnings that all of the Oceanic Six had to return to the island, it's not hard to understand why Locke's promise was such a non-starter for Ben. The promise was clearly a signal to Ben that Locke could not be allowed to live. The fact that he already knew Eloise Hawking suggests as well that Ben knew someone would have to serve as "proxy" for Christian Shepherd (which makes it even more telling that Christian was the one who told Locke he would need to be a sacrifice, doesn't it?).

Perhaps it was simply a matter of interference. Ben knew that everyone would have to go back, and that Locke wouldn't be willing to make that happen. Thus Ben could use Locke's death to his advantage. Alternatively, he may have taken all the information about Richard saying Locke was supposed to die, along with Locke's promises, and taken action accordingly (in essence, correcting his mistake of stopping Locke in the first place). Ben takes such a clinical approach to being "one of the good guys" that killing Locke is hardly out of the question, especially if he believes it very likely that John will be resurrected.

Now that most of the Oceanic Tribe has returned to the island, the true motives of Ilana and Caesar are open to debate. They appear to be working together, so the logical conclusion is that they were assigned to accompany the Oceanic Six by Widmore. At the same time, they don't trust each other, or Caesar wouldn't have lied about the gun. Since the Ajira Tribe is clearly going to be important in the future, their story has plenty of time to unfold.

But for now, they will need to contend with a John Locke who has returned from the dead, and is very well aware of it. And as such, the man who doubted himself so much during his mission to bring back the Oceanic Six can now feel justified in his sense of destiny. This should be a major turning point for Locke, which will hopefully be reflected in his future dealings with Ben and the rest of the gang.
  • Decent episode, but the worst of the year....

I don't see how everyone is rating this episode so high. We learned a few things, but lost is starting to derail. It is starting to become boring to watch and is getting away from what the show is truly about. I have gone from being an avid viewer to just watching it when I have time. Each episode makes me enjoy the show less and less, and I no longer long for Wednesday nights except to watch Lie To Me. I need more from LOST, I need clarification as to where the show is going, and how it is going to get there. As of now, I am not sure if I will make it to through the rest of the season
  • The writers keep tossing us back and forth about what/who we should believe in.

This episode was a good example of what LOST is capable of doing to us.

(SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT)
    I myself purely hated Ben from the moment he appeared on the show. Then we got to know him a little better, we got to see more sides of him, and at that point, my views of him changed entirely. He was the brutal kind of "good guy". The next couple of episodes later he strangles Locke after just hearing a name. And then, suddenly we see that he is actually cared about it. He is a lying bastard, but he is also human. Both of these facts were shown in the same scene.
    Charles Widmore was supposed to be the evil one, and we get to see another side of him as well(or the lying one?).
    Now the question is raised, who should we trust?
    (SPOILERS ENDS HERE)

This isn't the best LOST episode ever. But it's a perfect example of how powerful the show really is.
  • Wow.. I liked it..

This episode was stunning.. like in back in early seasons where I really was looking forward any Locke episode.. that excitement is long gone but the way they find his such a stunning episodes.. brilliant. The title sounded promising but the way the episode carries from the way he starts to be Jeremy Bentham to the death of that person.. and again being Locke.. continuing with that plain crash storyline from previous episode..

I think the most surprising thing was the death of Jeremy Bentham.. he is there, ready to kill himself.. all that music and the expressions.. the thoughts he had.. and then comes Ben, talks him out of it.. to kill him himself. What a turn.. I really was expecting everything else than that.. Anyway, a really good episode.. deep and touching story.. episode needs to have story.. without it there cannot be good episode.. and the way it all comes together.. lovely
  • The last 5 minutes saved this episode from being a 3 to a 5.

BORING!!!!! I hate Locke. Ben saved the episode, for sure! I felt like nothing interesting happened. There was like, two cliff hangers.... I'm used to one before everyone commercial! It was an episode they had to do, but I just hate Locke so it made it very boring for me. Widmore seems interesting.... but Ben's still my favorite character. Killing two people in one episode is priceless :D So my guess is that in last weeks episode, he killed Penny and then Desmond starting beating him up but Ben got away, and then Desmond and Widmore will team up to get back to the island to start this "war"....
  • The story of Locke's death.

It was great to see Lance Reddick return to Lost. In the brief time we got to know him last year we knew he was part of a mysterious team working against the Oceanic Six, and now confirmed for Widmore. While Agent Philip Broyles, as he is known on TV's second most compelling sci-fi drama Fringe, was entertaining, this truly was the John Locke show.

People who read my reviews know that I have been clamoring for some episodes devotely mostly toward one character, and we certainly got that early Lost throwback tonight. Terry O'Quinn put in his best performance of the season, and while I am reluctant to say that he might win a second Emmy for his role of John Locke, I do know that he kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire hour, hoping for that OMG moment.

And we got that jaw-dropping, water cooler moment with Ben killing Locke. Lost is still able to go from a dull discussion and in a trice to an epic conversation or event that makes the last five years of dedicated watching and studying all worth it. For that fact alone I'm giving this episode a high score.

On a much smaller note, Matthew Fox was excellent in the very short scene tonight. He showed a lot more intensity and emotion than he has in a long time. Maybe that Family Guy crack about his heavy breathing got to him.
1 2 >