Lost

The Man Behind the Curtain

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 09, 2007 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

• Jacob!!!!!!

Awesome episode!!! The best of this whole season and this whole series!!! Ben flashbacks were awesome!!! The best in the world!!! I want more Ben centric episodes!!!!! I so want to know what happened to Annie. Oh my god!!! Richard is older than Ben!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Richard doesn't even look that old!!! Now we had a great understanding of the Others and the Dharma which were there after them. Thats so sad they kept forgetting Ben's birthday! Well not really but barely anyone celebrates it. Ben was so funny when he was talking to Jacob or what we think is Jacob and Locke gets so annoyed!! I hope Locke doesn't die and I don't think he will.
  • not that great answers, and not a good direction.

i dont know why everyone is happy with the answers, we did got allot of answers about ben, but what about the main questions that we have, who are the others? what are they doing/motives? we still know nothing at all about that. but i got use to it that we will know it only in the end.
    the episode was ok, but the invisible man was silly to my and really over the top, i guess im probably one of the few that still hopes for a rational (atlest for the most part) explanation to all of it, oh well.
  • John Locke gets told about Jacob, the tue leader of the Others and people in the camp want to hear what Juliet and Jack have to say.

An 'Informative' episode. I liked the flashback of Ben's youth and the parallels with John Locke. Both have a bad relationship with their father but whereas Ben actually kills his father (perhaps why he chose this task for John), John had to get Sawyer to do the dirty deed for him.
    Does this mean anything, does it signify that John is 'better' than Ben?

I felt the revelation about Jacob was slightly disappointing and had expected a bit more. The revelation about how the Dharma Initiative ended and the Others gained the upper hand, on the other hand, was intruiging.

Juliet and Jack don't appear to be guilty, as much as I dislike the Juliet character, and I've said it before, I do feel that she is sincere in some ways, especially when it comes to pregnant women. She did not have to tell Sawyer to play the other side of the tape, yet she did. But does this mean she can be fully trusted??
  • Another great episode!!!

Some people have stop watching Lost after the second season or after the first few episodes of season 3...well they don`t know what they are missing...That was a great follow up to last week`s great episode! Ben is absolutely evil and I like it! I didn`t like Jack like always! But who the hell is Jacob?????? The only reason I haven`t give this episode a 10 is because Locke may be dead! I hope he is not! Great episode
  • I don't know... I expected more from this episode. Answered some questions, ended not quite like I thought.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that bad. We learn about Dharma and the Hostiles and the Purge. I'm glad to learn about those things. But the whole Jacob thing just came off as .... weird. I just figured Ben was crazy. Was it him to talked to John or does the island itself talk to 'special' people.

Whatever the answer is, 'Lost' sure is taking it friggin sweet time answering them. The preview for next week does look better. So I hope it wont be such a big a disappointment. Which is why I gave this episode a so-so rating. I just expected more.
  • Season's best? No, but awsome anyway. This was like the creators saying: "You don't know s*it."

Sorry about the english...

I have a problem with hype. And the hype sorrounding this episode was really huge. Everytime that happens I usually get desapointed. This time was no different. I don't know if it is the expectacion or what. After the first watch this looked a great episode to me, but not all that. Good thing I watched for a second time. Despite the fact that I still think that episodes like "The Brig", "Flashes..." and "Enter 77" are more satisfying, "The Man..." is defenetly on my top 5 this season.

And I would never write anything about this one without watching for a second time. It was so much information, answers and (as usual) even more questions that it just takes time for you to process everything, or at least try to. Maybe that was the problem after my first watch: when you think you starting to understand at least a little bit of what the hell is going on in that island, comes an episode like this just to mess everything up again. Good thing Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof seem to know what they're doing. That's the impression I got in the second time around, that even with all the new and unexpected information they have total control of what they're doing.

I believe this is one of the most complex episodes the series ever had. In the flashbacks we had fragments of Ben's life, revealing since details like who was "Roger the Workman" we saw in TTID and Ben's birth till revelations like what was the "purge" (at least a small part of it). We also find out that Mikahil was lying when he said that he "was the last living member of the Dharma Iniciative". And most important, finally we had information about the relation between Dharma and the Others. I aways believed that the others were like "ex-Dharma people", so that's was just one of many questions that arrived with the revelationn that the others(or part of them, we can't tell if there is more Dharma people among with the others besides Ben and Mikahil) are in fact "natives". How many questions arrives this information alone?

In the present the most important thing was, of course, Jacob. The cabin sequence is better than most of the horror films I saw this year. Who, or what is him (it)? That was a really scary s*it, and another one of the greatest scenes this series had so far. For the first time I can say that Ben gave me the creeps. More than Jacob acctualy. And the final scene just showed how Locke was right when he said that it was Ben, not Jacob "The Man Behind the Curtain".

Good thing I didn't write about this after the first watching. This is one of those that gets better and better every time you watch. Maybe after see it 1 or 2 more times it becames my favourite of the season. At least until "Through the Looking Glass".
  • If you don't like this episode, you might as well stop watching Lost. It had it all: the mystery, the twists, the shock moments, etc

wow wow wow! What a great episode
    - I think you could say that Ben is pretty much evil ;) -> not only did he let it happen that all his people get exterminated, he also shoots my favourite chrachter! (although I am relatively sure that John will come out of that pit alive ;))
    -So, the Others are some kind of ueberhumans, who do not age. No wonder Richard isn't interested in the birth problem
    -> The question is, how many "real others" are there. except Richard. In that context: Ben said to Richard “You do remember what birthdays are?” very interesting - The Jacob-scene was my favourite of the episode, as Ben stood beside the empty chair. I just thought “Wow, Ben will turn out as a psychopath who made everything up.” - > till Locke also heard Jacob.
    -> the question is now, why is Ben the only one, who can see him? apparently, he doesn't want anyone else to see him. Does he maybe hold him captive somehow?
    - So why did he shoot Locke? Doesn't he want anyone else being "special" on the island or did he not want the others to know that Dharma is long gone?
    - During the O-Town scene, as the Others appeared, I remembered S2 where Jin and Eko saw the Others. They looked exactly the same. So, were those just the "fake Others" or are the "real Others" still around?
    - Finally we hear the whispers again, I think it's safe to say that they're connected to the Others
    - Was Annie murdered along with the others during the Purge? I don't think that Ben would have made that sacrifice
    - About the second plot: Where to hell were Juliet & Jack? definitely not with the Others (I think) The story of Jack was also somehow implausible. He didn't tell them because he hasn't decided what to do yet. lol?

To sum up: even if you're a more critical Lost-Fan, you've gotta admit, this one was "THE BOMB"! 9/10 ;-)
  • Moving further and further away from "logical" non sci-fiyish explanations

7.8
    This episode was descent, however, wha has certainly dissapointed me was that as of this episode, lost can not be explained without sci-fi stuff. The first two sesons pushed the limits of logical explanations, but still coul dbe explained without using science fiction. Now, it is all gone. The never-aging Richard, the invisible Jacob. I am certain that for some people this episode was a turning point in the direction to stop watching the show, just like the Flashes Before Your Eyes episode. Overall, if you are open to science fiction explanations of Lost events and mysteries, it is a great episode, but if you hoped for some normal stuff, this is the end.
  • The most revealing episode so far!

This episode had me glued to the edge of my seat from start to finish. So many revelations and eye openers! Can't wait for the season finale. Absolutely riveting. The story of the Dharma Initiative finally comes to light. And we learn of Ben's troubled upbringing. Is Jack what the others have been searching for? And who (or what!) is Jacob? This episode brings tension to a boiling point. Will the Survivors finally settle their differences with the Others...? It's on!
  • Ahhhhhh! Oh my goodness that was a superb episode! Some ungrateful man posted "RIP, John Locke" as a thread title over in the forums, but I don't care anymore. It was shocking, awesome, and mind-blowing all at the same time! That episode was the stuff!

Oh. My. Jacob. That is all I have to say about this week's bar-raising episode of LOST. The one and only thing that could've made this episode better would be if it had been written by Damon and Carlton. Now, I'm not saying the writing was bad, in fact, it was pretty much perfect, but I would've loved it if they were the one's to take credit for the dialogue on this one. I mean, they pretty much came up with the episode anyway so it's okay. But, nevertheless, Drew Goddard and Elizabeth Sarnoff were an awesome writing duo for this episode and Michael Emerson should be given an Emmy just for having a conversation with no one and acting it perectly. Oh yeah, and Locke's dead. How is this possible!? The episode was so amazing that I'm not even thinking about how John is now dying in a pit of Dharma bodies! The were so many things going on in this episode that John "dying" isn't a top priority! Good Jacob I love LOST! On-Island Real Time:

To be completed soon. Flashbacks:

To be completed soon. Things I Noticed/Easter Eggs:

-Ben's birthday is December 22nd

-Ben was born just outside of Portland. 32 miles to be exact!

-There are some amazing Jacob screen caps over at DarkUFO's site. Link to DarkUFO

-When Ben offers Locke some scotch or whiskey or whatever it was, Locke just stares at it. Hmm what happened right after he was offered some scotch last time?

-How great was it showing how Roger "Workman" died and having Shambala playing the car? That was really, really cool.

-During the opening credits, some of the executive producer titles appear on the television with the orientation video on it. They made it look as if they were part of the video. That made me crack up! Here's a picture... Link to LOST-Media

-The woman who played Ben's mother, Carrie Preston, is actually Michael Emerson's wife... Weird!

-There are some parallels between the story of Moses and the burning bush and the story of Ben/Locke and Jacob. For starters, it is required that Moses remove his shoes before approaching the burning bush and Locke needed to turn of his flashlight. By this I mean that shoes are form of technology and, by taking off his shoes, Moses was more in touch with the earth and God as Locke/Ben is more in touch with the island when he turns off his flashlight. Also, the burning bush, who is actually God, and Jacob are both "characters" that seem sort of like an all-knowing perfect being. In the bible, God, through the bush, says that he is the god of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob... Hmm... Jacob? Finally, Ben and Moses both go to there respective places (cabin vs. bush) to be told things to tell their people. It's interesting, though, that God tells Moses to tell Pharoah to free the Israelites while Jacob tells Ben which people to put on the list. And, as you know, people on the list are taken... not freed. One could argue that the people who are taken on LOST, like Cindy, are given a better life than trying to survive on an island as a crash survivor. So, technically, they are freed from that hazardous and difficult life.

-The orientation video says that the fence is sonar and that it's purpose is to protect the Dharmatels from the island's "abundant and diverse wildlife." Yeah, right. More like to be protected form Smokey.

-The video also says that the Dharmatels are given a new code every morning to cross outside the fence, that there are properties on the island that exist nowhere else on earth and that thir mission is to study these properties for the betterment of mankind and the advancement of world-peace.

-There is SOMETHING about those Apollo Bars! I know it!

-When Sawyer is hiding in the bush, you can hear Hurley say, "Dude, you don't know. It can't be worse than Maggots." I don't want to know what he was talking about... haha.

-The whispers are back and they said A LOT this time. I'm sorry, but I don't have the programs needed to transcribe them but I'm sure they'll be up on LOST-pedia soon.

-I really think that people like Tom, Mikhail, Klugh, and a few others were later brought to the island AFTER Ben joined the Hostiles. Those characters seem so different than Richard and I doubt that there are many of the original Hostiles left.

-I love Mikhail, but Locke beating him "senseless" was awesome.

-Mikhail is being beaten up by Locke and Ben calls for Tom and Richard. When the camera shows Tom, he's just sitting on the table drinking from his little blue cup like nothing is going on. Ben is losing control over his people.

-A lot of people are confused and don't understand why Alex gave Locke the gun, but it seemed kind of obvious to me. As Ben said, no one has ever seen Jacob besides him and I belive that this means Ben's followers are starting to doubt, like Locke did, that Jacob ever existed in the first place. So, Alex, because she hates her dad and knows that he manipulates people, gave Locke the gun to protect himself because she thinks that Jacob and doesn't exist and, therefore, the only thing Ben could be leading Locke to is his death. That may not have been written as clearly as I could have, but if you don't understand what I mean, then just leave a comment.

-OKay, this isn't really important, but when the teacher, Olivia, says, "Let's get ourselves an eruption" I could've sworn she said "Let's get ourselves an erection." I was freaking out for a second...

-The teacher has the same logo on her shirt that the shark had on his/her tail.

-Horace is a Maintenance man for the Arrow station.

-Ben, uh, doesn't have a lot of friends.

-Jack is the man and you were all wrong about Juliet.

-Remember in One of Us when Ben gave Juliet a gas mask like the Hostiles were wearing after/during the Purge? Am I sensing another Purge coming this time with the 815ers!?! Ahh! In this case, Juliet is in the same position Ben was. Questions:

There are too many too post so I'll just cover the big ones.

-How did Ben go from joining the Hostiles to second in command?
    -Do the Hostiles not age!?
    -Does Ben really see Jacob there?
    -Is Locke going to die!?
    -Is Richard for or against Ben?
    -Why did no one stop Locke from beating on Mikhail?
    -Why did the Hostiles attack Dharma and why did it take so long to do so?
    -Was Ben's mom Smokey the Monster?
    -If it's not the fertility probems, why are the Others on the island?
    -If the Hostiles don't age, are they related to the Black Rock and the ruins?
    -There's a volcano on the island!?
    -How does Dharma go about recruiting people?
    -What the heck is up with Jacob?
    -What was the sand "barrier" around Jacob's house?
    -What does Jack have planned and where did he and Juliet leav to? Dialogue:

Drew Goddard is a great writer. He's been a co-writer for a lot of the best episodes this season and 50% of them are in my top 10 (The Glass Ballerina, Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Man From Tallahassee, One of Us). I'm really glad they brought him back (He wrote "Outlaws" in season 1). The other writer for this episode was Elizabeth Sarnoff and, while there is no way to really tell who wrote what, she is, in my opinion the weaker of the two writers. (Abandoned, The Hunting Party, The Whole Truth, Two for the Road, Further Instructions, Stranger in a Strange Land, Left Behind) Here are some of the best scenes, dialogue wise, and lines from the episode:

-When Ben is talking to "Jacob" but there's no one there
    -The final scene with Locke looking over the Dharma grave
    -The murder of Richard Linus scene
    -Locke and Ben in the tent
    -Locke: You are the man behind the curtain; the Wizard of Oz! And you're a liar.
    -I really enjoyed that the LOSTies actually gathered around and talked about something!
    -Locke: You said that, if I killed my father, you'd tell me everything I wanted to know about the island. So, why don't you start at the beginning?
    -Alpert: Do you even know what that word means? Next Week on LOST:

Next week, we have our FIRST Charlie-centric episode since Fire + Water, which aired, believe it or not, one year, three months, and 21 days ago (or 33 episodes).

Earlier, I would be worrying about this episode, but Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz have really improved as writers this season and, coming off how good of an episode D.O.C. was, I'm no longer nervous. Sure, it's a Charlie-centric episode and everyone, except me, seems to universally hate Fire + Water, but I have a feeling that the writers wouldn't make an episode they think people would hate right before the finale. Especially after the fan reaction towards F + W. As I mentioned before, this episode, following the trend since season 1, was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz.

A few weeks ago, I would have made a lower predicition for this episode, but taking into account that this is the aftermath of everything that happened The Man Behind the Curtain, the fact that Charlie might die, and that it's the episode that sets up the finale, I'm going to have predict that it will be between, um..., a 9.0 and a 9.2. Three Minutes got a 9.2 last year and it's also one of my favorite episodes of the series so, hopefully, this one will live up to the bar that Three Minute set.

Oh yeah, I'm not really going to consider this a spoiler so sorry if it, you know, somehow ruins something for someone (I don't really see how it could though): Rose and Bernard are back!

Yay! Top 10 Episodes Update:

7. Lockdown
    8. Walkabout
    9. Man of Science, Man of Faith
    10. Enter 77

The Man Behind the Curtain is the current best episode of LOST. Hands down. Sure, it might not be your favorite, but it's the best. It was nothing but amazing all the way through.

ON-ISLAND REAL TIME:

To be completed soon.

FLASHBACKS:

To be completed soon.

THINGS I NOTICED/EASTER EGGS:

-Ben's birthday is December 22nd

-Ben was born just outside of Portland. 32 miles to be exact!

-There is SOMETHING about those Apollo Bars! I know it!

-I love Mikhail, but Locke beating him "senseless" was awesome.

-The teacher has the same logo on her shirt that the shark had on his/her tail.

-Horace is a Maintenance man for the Arrow station.

-Ben, uh, doesn't have a lot of friends.

-Jack is the man and you were all wrong about Juliet.

Questions:

There are too many too post so I'll just cover the big ones.

-How did Ben go from joining the Hostiles to second in command?
    -Do the Hostiles not age!?
    -Does Ben really see Jacob there?
    -Is Locke going to die!?
    -Is Richard for or against Ben?
    -Why did no one stop Locke from beating on Mikhail?
    -Why did the Hostiles attack Dharma and why did it take so long to do so?
    -Was Ben's mom Smokey the Monster?
    -If it's not the fertility probems, why are the Others on the island?
    -If the Hostiles don't age, are they related to the Black Rock and the ruins?
    -There's a volcano on the island!?
    -How does Dharma go about recruiting people?
    -What the heck is up with Jacob?
    -What was the sand "barrier" around Jacob's house?
    -What does Jack have planned and where did he and Juliet leav to?

DIALOGUE:

-When Ben is talking to "Jacob" but there's no one there
    -The final scene with Locke looking over the Dharma grave
    -The murder of Richard Linus scene
    -Locke and Ben in the tent
    -Alpert: Do you even know what that word means?

NEXT WEEK ON LOST:

7. Lockdown
    8. Walkabout
    9. Man of Science, Man of Faith
    10. Enter 77

TMBtC is the best episode of LOST. Hands down. Sure, it might not be your favorite, but it's the best. It was nothing but amazing all the way through.
  • "Lost answers many questions this week with a focus on the mysterious character Ben"

I was expecting to be blown away this week with a Ben flashback, and i absolutely was. The scene with Jacob was done so well. They teased us with the notion of Jacob being a "creation" of Ben's, and had ME thinking a thousand things about the plot as i watched the interaction between Jacob, Ben and Locke.

And what a person Locke is now becoming. It appears he might have some sort of connection with the others that he himself is unaware of. As this episode grinds out magnificent chunks of mystery, it manages to again connect the island's characters in unexpected ways, as it always so brilliantly does... "Daddy issues" anyone?

I really liked this episode, and i think Ben has shown a side that condemns his character as Locke has come full circle with his and is now back as island man.
  • Excellent episode. The exposition of Ben very much sets the tone for defining the nature of the Others. Perfect episode - no (explained below), but significant. One of the critical episodes of the series...

First off, I'll get out of the way why I don't think this episode was perfect, because it was close, and I'll explain why further. The scene with Jacob was shocking, exciting, and a little creepy, but was a bit too much "Blair Witch" for me...the cabin in the woods, the apparent ghost, etc. This is distinctly different from what Lost has been. Lost succeeds by artfully balancing the line between mysticism and science/science fiction. That segment was seemingly mysticism to the extreme. But everything else - wow! Questions, answers, and observations:

-Ben lies. Not completely surprising, but when he lied about being Henry Gale, that was more of an "undercover" operation. Yet he has consistently insisted his word is good, and that he doesn't really lie about meaningful things. Here, he lied about several meaningful things, like being born on the island, and has done so to his own people. Did he lie to his people about the purge?

-Mikhael previously states that what he said about the purge was true, even if he lied about other things. But Mikhael stated that the purge was about Dharma attacking the hostiles. Here, we saw the hostiles attacked Dharma. Of course, the assumption is only the Dharma folks in the barracks have been killed, and perhaps the remaining Dharma people will assault the hostiles. So Mikhael could have still been telling the truth or lying, but Ben could have lied to all the Others about the nature of the purge.

-The Roger Workman that Hurley found was Ben's father. Neat tie in.

-Was Ben's girlfriend killed in the purge?

-Did Locke die? In my review last week, I predicted Locke would die before the season ended. I don't know if that will happen, but I don't think he died here. If he did, I think the producers would have been a lot more clear about it. We would have seen Locke's last breath, and there wouldn't be any vagueness about it. Certainly, the simple explanation may become that his healing will happen as it did for Mikhael, especially since Locke seems to be able to recover from significant injuries (like paralysis).

-Visions and voices have happened on the island for a long time. Young Ben saw the vision of a deceased loved one as several of the survivors have, and young Ben hears the strange voices as well.

-Ben has daddy issues too, much like most of the crash survivors.

-Ben's position of leadership is very fragile. We even saw Tom unresponsive to Ben's instructions here, when Locke presented himself as being important.

-Juliet is working with the real good guys, but only changed her mind to do so after her experience with Sun.

-Does Jacob exist, and if so, what the heck is he? I liked the idea of Ben really being nuts and just thinking he saw a Jacob. An actual invisible leader will be intriguing, but a bit over the top for me.

-Who are the hostiles? How are they the original inhabitants? Was the hostile young Ben met the father of modern Ben's sidekick?

-Was the vision of Ben's mother really the monster?

The story of Ben was powerful emotionally, seeing his "bad person" father blame him for his mother's death. So Ben searches for something else to grasp onto, something meaningful, so it makes sense that the cultish hostiles may be appealing. Young Ben probably feels insignificant and a nuisance, and whatever the mission of the cult is, Ben likely is drawn to it, as it makes him feel important. And at some point, he obviously assumes a more significant role within it. But deep down, Ben knows he is not this and is extremely insecure. Being born on the island is something he has said with such pride, it's something he's obviously conveyed as significant. Yet he knows it's a lie. Whether or not Jacob is real, Ben has created a fantasy about himself, and does anything to hang onto it.

The Others have adapted some of these characteristics, such as this sense of self importance. The whole idea of being identified as "good people" isn't enough to turn them into the obsessed cultists they are. So there has to be something else, and a belief of a worldly significance would probably do the trick. Though, I am troubled hearing that only Ben has met Jacob. For the crash survivors who have become Others, like Cindy, to be swayed so quickly, as in a matter of weeks, it would seem their involvement would have been more than hearing about Jacob from Ben. And even hearing someone like Mikhael so convincingly speak of Jacob as a great man, that seems like it would have required him at least meeting Jacob. Still, there's enough not told to hope that some of these gaps can eventually be filled in.

It is also interesting that the Others' concept of allowing only good people is validated by what happened to the Dharma people. It was Dharma's willingness to let a bad person (Ben's father) join them that ultimately lead to their demise. Ben's father's treatment of of Ben lead Ben to be open to becoming part of the cult and assisting in a mass murder (which was a powerful scene, if not a bit cliched, a la 70's movies about crazy cults).

What I realized in watching this episode is that I missed having one of the likeable characters (the survivors) be the center of the flashback. I was certainly sympathetic for young Ben, but seeing him turn into a psychopath mass murderer definitely kept him in the unlikable category.

Finally, I've explained why I very firmly believe Locke did not die here, but why I think he will die soon (perhaps in the season finale): Locke has come full circle and is fully balanced. His character has nowhere to go. He's eradicated his primary demon (his father), and he is truly balanced: both a man of science and man of faith. The old Locke would have grasped onto otherwordly concepts, like the ghostly Jacob. Yet, though he still seems to be open to out of the norm concepts, he now displays rational skepticism (as opposed to skepticisim built from disillusionment, like the end of last season).

So much revealed in this episode, and its fast pace, full of story made it a great episode to watch, but just a little less than perfect. Still loved it. The final two of the season should be exhilarating.
  • Two sides

In one of the very first episodes of lost, lock is sitting on the beach, when asked about backgammon he explains to Walt "two sides, one dark one light".

Both Ben and Locke seem to have some sort of connection with the island, both are seen as inadequate, unwanted by there fathers and ultimately both fathers die,as ben explained, leaving everything behind, typical of faith wither it be religion or faith in once self, sacrifice.

There seems to be a slight difference, in that, Ben has the ability to kill his father, and inadvertently it seems, kill everyone around him with gas in a nazi fashion, the line "this is were I come from" and a hole in the ground with dead people seemed very hell like, reminiscent of genocide in rwanda.

Locke on the other hand, in a previous flashback, says he forgives his father (later to change it seems) it seems his world, in comparison to bens in which everyone around him is destroyed is the other side of the cion, locke's life is destroyed, , but seems unable to physically kill his father with what seems almost ghandi like. (but hey he still dies)

The scene in which Ben is telling Locke to let go, taunting him to kill him, seems very reminiscent of darth vader and Luke Skywalker in return of the jedi.

Or, that of Lucifer temping Jesus. "Satan tried to get Jesus to sin, but failed. Satan will tempt us, but we can overcome him", Vocabulary: Tempt: to deceive or lure someone into doing wrong

Locke seems more violent now, I hope he doesn't become a bad guy and remains like Locke from the first season.

When Locke was refering to two sides, is this what he ment?
    I doubt this is the end for Locke, and would hope not, to me, he is the content, the stuff that little 13 year old girls with crush's on Sawyer or Jack hate, but people who watch for content, like, one of the best telivision characters in years, when Both Ben and Locke intertwine in an episode, lost is elavated ten fold.

Excellent episode, closes doors, and opens many more, a prime example of a reason to continue watching lost.
  • Ben is exposed. Or is he? Jacob is discovered. Or is he? Locke is back. For how long?

As much as I liked to find out about the Dharma stuff and Ben's background, there was a lot of things that made me feel like they were writing on the fly. I love Locke and I hate how he is always falling for everything, despite how astute he seems. I am getting annoyed by how unaware Locke, Kate and Sawyer are. Only Sayid looks to have any clue. Further, I loved it when I thought Ben was just nuts, but then they could not be happy with the psychological angle. The writers had to add another element (i.e. an invisible man). Don't forget the un-aging man. As I have said before, why do you need monsters, invisible men and esp? You have a hidden island with all kinds of mysterious elements due to the Dharma people, with all kinds of angles between the survivors personalities, dangerous "others" and personal struggles from the past. It seems to be overkill and not "contained fantasy." I know most will disagree, but I would have loved for Jacob to be all in Ben's head. I am expecting Locke to survive. It is bad enough Eko was killed off so quickly and without furthering the story.
  • First time I gave out a 10. This episode was simply spectacular. Ben Linus owns my world.

Outstanding. A Ben-centric episode that delivered and then some. We found out that he, in fact, was NOT born on the island (hence why he's not dead), came there as a child, befriended a little girl with my name, watched his father deteriorate before his eyes, before killing him, and oh, yeah, everybody else in the Dharma Initiative. So the "Others" really are the Natives, but not all of them, since Juliet was just recently recruited. And Richard (aka Eyeliner Man) seems to have not aged a bit since he was the same age when Ben was 10 that he is now, and Ben's clearly old.

So Locke didn't get anything but more questions, really. When he finally got to Jacob, there was nothing to see, Ben was just completely insane... or was he? Go back and hit your slow motion buttons people... you can CLEARLY see "Jacob" in the rocking chair right after he shoves Ben away... ("You've had your fun" says Ben, gigantic shove of Ben to the wall, camera pans and WAIT there's a man in the chair for a split second before it goes to Locke... check it out!) And what's with "Help me?" Apparently the great and power ain't so great and powerful? He needs Locke's help? And like Ben said, in that fateful moment when he took Locke to the pit of dead bodies from years before, Locke could surely use some of Jacob's help right now, what with him being very shot and all...

Oh, and cut away to the Losties story (remember them?) to where they get all dramatic with the big confrontation and Jack coming clean... but then never followed up on it, thus giving the ABC promo another opportunity for a big lead up and little delivery. It's a damn good think the Ben/Locke stuff was so good! Seriously, my series favorite.
  • Holy crap. [SPOILERS]

...

Holy. CRAP!

... Did I mention holy crap?

Wow wow wow. Locke can't be dead. He's the most popular character on the show. But man, it don't look good for him, do it?

I am totally freaking out right now. This is the kind of thing that makes me love the show.

Also...I liked the flashback's tie-in with the Hurley episode. And some good filling in the gaps about DHARMA. And I jumped out of my skin every time Ben's mom showed up. And the scene with Joshua...I get chills just thinking about it. Creeeepy.

I didn't think that Ben was lying, as Locke did (inexplicably, even after being in the house with Joshua). I thought at first maybe Ben was just stark raving insane - a la "Pyscho." Joshua, metaphorically speaking, is Norman Bates' mother. Then for a moment I thought that maybe Joshua was the black cloud. That's still a possibility, but then why/how did it manifest in a way that Locke couldn't see it?

But it seems that Joshua is a ghost. That would be just plain and simple. But how did Ben come to know him? Why does Ben take orders from him? And why on earth does a ghost need Locke's (or anyone's) help?

Other unanswered questions: if Ben was taken into the group by that other guy (can't remember his name), how did Ben get to be leader? Wouldn't the other guy supersede him by seniority alone? And why isn't that guy much, much older, if he was an adult when Ben was still a kid?

And what happened to that girl that Ben liked? One might assume she was killed in the raid, but we didn't specifically see her. And since Ben liked her so much, one would think that he would spare her...unless she was already dead. I guess that's another flashback.

I also would have liked to see more in the camp. The preview showed us up to the point where Jack said, "We have some catching up to do." Then there was nothing else in the episode with them. Still, I'm glad we weren't taken back to the beach after the scene at the gravesite. There's no way that the last shot could be topped.

Anyway...great episode. And the preview had me salivating for next week as well!
  • Anyone else think Jacob will be played by Kris Kristofferson?

Have to say that I loved this episode, even though at the end my favourite character, Locke, is in a mass grave with a bullet hole in his ribs! I'm praying Jacob will make another appearance this Season. Anyone else think he looks like Kris Kristofferson? (Blade I, II, III, Planet of the Apes)

God. I love this show, especially the way everything fits together in the end. Yes the answers are sometimes slow to come, but when they do... POW!

Juliette is a slippery cow and manages to get out of everything! And since his return from Otherville, Jack has turned into a smug, self rightious idiot. Sayid should tie them both up and pull out their fingernails till they both start behaving and Jack starts behaving like a member of "Team Fuselage"
  • Ben unwillingly divulges information about the island. Not really. But we do learn he had a bad dad.

According to the summary for this episode, “Ben unwillingly divulges information to Locke about the island, taking him on a journey to various locations including strange monuments and the mysterious Jacob.” Well, very little information was divulged although Ben’s flashbacks were interesting. I don’t recall them visiting any strange monuments unless you count the mass grave at the end a "monument". What we did learn is there is some entity named Jacob who is invisible to some people. Evidently, he can also selectively choose who hears him talk.

We now know Ben wasn’t actually born on the island. Maybe spiritually born but certainly not physically born. I don’t think Locke is going to die. A gunshot wound to the stomach takes a long time to die from. Anyone who has seen Reservoir Dogs knows that. I’m guessing the island will heal him faster than the bullet can kill him although I do think we’ve seen the last of him this season. He probably won’t show up again until well into next season where he’ll show up unexpectedly and completely mess something up.
  • So many questions are answered and so many questions are raised. This was a fabolous episode focusing on a top five villian on TV right now, Ben Linus.

So Good. The whole episode, start to finish. This is the kind of episode you can watch again and again. This is the kind of episode you want to watch right after you see it for the first time. Most importantly, for a series where individual episodes are hard to watch out of order, "The Man Behind the Curtain" can be watched any time. It gives the potential for great speculation and sets up the final two episodes very well. The scene with Jacob could have been really poorly shot, but it was done very well. If you're one of the few people who doesn't watch Lost, this episode will get you hooked.
  • What the heck? Some key revelations, and some more interesting directions taken.

Ben's character gets flushed out quite a bit, with some really revealing history. First you are sad because his dad is horrible. Then you are happy that he has a good girl friend. Then horrified as he helps the others kill off everyone and reboot the camp, putting him in a key position. Yowzers! Didn't see that one coming!

Locke is in over his head, and what the heck happened in the building? Is Ben crazy? Was there some sort of weird ghost? Then Locke gets shot, but he better not die because he is such a crazy fun character to watch. As for everyone else, some revelations that are leading up to a major confronation between the others and the survivors. Where in the world is this series headed? I don't know, but I love the intrigue, and I love the strangeness. Unfortunately, my wife isn't on the same page as myself.
  • There was aleast 3 times where I jumped from my sit. Oh snap that was good.

the episode started off really good and then ended with a bang. the whole ben backstory is not that much different from everyelses stories, everyone had issues with their parents, but ben dad what an ahole. didnt he say something like happy birthday son todays the day u killed ur mom. like honestly that was cruel. that guy richard whats up with that. he was a hostile didnt see that one coming. and jacob what the hell was going on there, hes invisble or a spirit or something. all i got to say awesome episode cant wait for the final episodes and i have to watch this episode aleast another 2 times.
  • Overall, this was a strong episode with a number of implications for the overall mythology and the rest of the third season.

If one looks at the entire series as one massive story arc (or set of arcs thereof), then the classic storytelling progression applies. The end of this season brings the series to about 60% completion. This puts this material firmly in the complication phase, when initial mysteries are resolved, unlocking deeper and more important mysteries in the process. This episode is a perfect example of this process.

A number of things are revealed in this episode, though much of the information comes through the filter of a devious and clever mind. It’s hard to know where the truth ends and the deception begins. And it’s not just a matter of deceiving others; Ben seems to be equally adept at deceiving himself. However, in this case, the new information fits with existing revelations, so some conclusions can be made.

If his memories are accurate, several matters are clarified. Ben was not born on the island, at least not in the literal sense. The circumstances of his birth explain his extreme interest in fertility issues. The resulting relationship with his father (Roger from “Tricia Tanaka is Dead”, which is a nice bit of continuity) left him searching for a purpose in the world. That desire came during his time with the Dharma Initiative, which is how he came to be on the island.

This is all straightforward, but considering that this is “Lost”, it’s just the beginning. Two things were already present on the island at the time of the Dharma Initiative: the Others, who are confirmed as the original inhabitants of the island, and whatever force manifests the hopes and fears of the inhabitants of the island (seemingly related to the “monster”).

The Others were then termed the “hostiles”, and their nature is still mysterious as ever. For one thing, they seem to have a rather diverse racial and ethnic profile for inhabitants of a South Pacific island, which supports the idea that the Others were drawn to the island and then absorbed over time into the existing population.

More importantly, the evidence seems to suggest that the Others have extended life spans. Richard looks the same now as he did decades earlier, and Ben notes that Richard may not even remember what it’s like to have a birthday. Keeping in mind the Life Extension experiments by the Hanso Foundation, and that aspect of the interest in the island makes sense. It also explains why Richard would consider fertility issues to be a “novelty”; functionally immortal people aren’t quite so concerned about adding to the population, especially when they can just bring new people to the island on their own terms.

This brings up an interesting question: if the Others are so attuned to the island that they are this long-lived, why would they allow Ben to serve as their leader? There must be something specific about Ben that led them to this decision, and looking back at the series to date, there are some interesting possibilities. Not only that, but Ben’s interest in Locke may be explained in the process.

Ben sees his mother on the island, despite the fact that he’s dead, and he hears the same kind of whispers and voices associated with the Others since the very beginning. Richard seems genuinely shocked that Ben saw his dead mother, and that implies that he was seen as special and valued. To become one of the Others, he waits for the right moment to affect the downfall and purge of the Dharma Initiative, complete with the murder of his own father.

This is an interesting parallel with Locke. Ben considered Locke’s relationship to the island to be special, and in order for Locke to be trusted, he needed to overcome his issues by killing his father. Ben is essentially asking for Locke to do as he once did, and perhaps Ben even sees Locke as someone following in his footsteps. Whether he sees that as a blessing or a threat is hard to determine.

Part of what makes Ben special is his ability to interact with Jacob. Jacob has been referenced as the true leader of the Others, the one pulling the strings, yet Ben is the only one who appears to take direction from him. This episode sheds some light on Jacob, and it is one of the most bizarre and intriguing twists in quite some time. For an extended period, it even seems as if Ben is psychotic.

The truth is far more complex, and may revive one of the more popular theories from the first season. That theory posed the possibility that the island is controlled, to some degree, by a non-corporeal intelligence, and that the Others’ desire for children is related in some way to this entity. The entity was often linked to the “monster”, especially in later episodes when survivors would see people who were dead or unable to be on the island in any logical manner.

Some of those who study parapsychology raise the possibility that ghosts are consciousnesses that are intact and operating on different frequency. Interaction with these entities is made possible in areas with unusual electromagnetic properties, according to the conjecture. If this is the case, wouldn’t the island be one of the most likely places for such interaction? It might also explain why technology is problematic when dealing with Jacob, and why his location is marked and specific.

The question of Jacob’s origin would still be on the table. Even if Jacob is some kind of non-corporeal intelligence existing out of phase with normal perception, how did he get that way? And how does that relate to the appearances of the dead on the island? If the Others do have extended lifetimes, as it seems they do, one possibility is that those living on the island eventually transition into this other form of existence.

If that’s the case, then one might wonder how many of the Others have transitioned. Could they be the source of the whispers in certain parts of the island? Unseen individuals who are still alive in some sense, but now longer operating on the same “plane”? Taken further, could the “monster” be an expression or extension of this phenomenon? After all, the philosophy of the Others (a harsh and lethal demand for personal growth and redemption) is strikingly similar to the apparent motivation of the “monster”.

Whatever the case, Ben seems genuinely threatened by Locke’s demand to see Jacob and his apparent communication with him. Add that to the clear challenge to Ben’s control over the Others, something Ben has always seen as tenuous, and Ben has every reason to shoot Locke. Of course, Ben conveniently shoots Locke in a non-lethal location. Locke could still die, of course, but there’s just as much reason to think that Locke will survive. He’d just be out of commission long enough for Ben to execute his plan against the JackLocke tribe.

Back on the beach, the anticipated showdown between Jack and Juliet and just about everyone else finally takes place, but it’s not much to speak of, since the Ben/Locke plot dominates. In short, it’s confirmed that Jack and Juliet are working together to stage a defense against the Others’ incursion, but they’ve been keeping those plans to themselves. The rest of the leadership (Sawyer, Sayid, and Desmond) is not pleased, especially since Jack seems to think his decision is the only one that matters. This is likely to erupt into a major conflict through the end of the season.
  • So who is Jacob? The Person in the chair we see for a split second!

Well, here we go again 3 episodes to go, two weeks and its that long wait again! A pivital episode to set the dial to the MAX. Will John die or won't he? How come Richard hasn't aged a day in 40 yrs? He appears to the young Ben apparently already on the island, 40yrs on he goes to the outside world to recruit people, helps John to kill his father, helps Ben become a mass murderer or did he kill them all?

So who is Jacob? The person we see in the rocking chair for that split second? see it for yourself for those who missed it. From the clothes he wore similar garments as Richard did when he first saw Ben as a child!

The dead seam to be playing more of as role now!

I also liked the way the VW Camper was the same one found by Hurley!

Fantastic

Richie
  • They're setting the stage...

Wow! This episode had so much that I don't even know where to begin! Lost has done it again. I finish this episode thirsting for more. And I feel that even though this episode is so revealling, each and every revelation they give us leaves us with more doubts than certainties. I really don't know how to feel anymore. For instance, I love Juliet and I have "faith" that, in the end, she is a good person but still I get that tiny little doubt that she may just be someone who'll do anything to get off the island, even betray her new sweetheart.

Jack, on the other hand, was pissing me off in the last episodes because he was being such an ass, especially with Kate. And still, even though near the end of the episode he seems to know what's going on and have a plan to save his mates, I still didn't like the way he talked to them. He just feels to bossy. I guess he just feels like he's the man, now that he has a pretty hot blonde by his side.

Locke, the other character that I was "kinda" starting not to like (and that as nothing to do with the actor that portrays him. He deserves every award he can get.) ended up being shot by Ben as they seem to be fighting for the top-prophet-of-the-block spot and Ben, as we are shown through his flashbacks, is a person who is not afraid to use any means necessary to achieve his goals.

We also meet Jacob. Do we really? We do hear a voice but... I don't know. This series already had so many twists and turns that, as I said before, I just don't know what to think anymore. "Hollow Man, The Return" isn't exactly what I was expecting but I believe this whole thing has a good explanation. The stage is set for a breathtaking season finale, but we all know it'll end up in a cliffhanger and that almost physically hurts :). As a friend of mine told me today at lunch something like "2010? We're still so far away from understanding all of this... what if something happens and I die in the meantime? I'd die without knowing what all of this is??". That's the kind of effect Lost has on its fans. And it's no small feat!
  • This was one of the best episodes in recent times! I always enjoy any night when either Ben or John are featured and this one had both!

It was good to finally see what Ben was like as a child. I was riveted to my seat, trying to see how he would deal with the loss of his mother and the hostility of his father.

Interestingly, there was a bit of trivia...his father said he was usually like a "chatty Cathy" and, on the morning of the purge, he was quiet. I remember Chatty Cathy as being a very famous and favorite doll during my own childhood. I wonder if any of the younger generation caught that?

Getting back to the episode, you just had this foreboding feeling all night that something "bad" was about to happen to John...but I didn't expect him to end up shot in a ditch!
  • What’s with Ben and little, cute, fluffy, white rabbits?

This episode was really exciting! I loved it, and for the record, I don’t believe John Locke is dead. I felt Ben shooting John was the result of some kind of brotherly jealousy. He was showing off he was the only one who could hear Jacob, but Jacob himself proved him wrong. I just loved Ben’s face when heard Jacob’s message to John… his face said “Damn, I screw it!”, that’s why he run away so quickly, after telling John “Well, I certainly hope he helps you, John”, and then escaped maybe from Jacob’s fury to come… And I also believe this is not the first time Ben takes somebody to see Jacob… and what makes me believe it? Alex handing John a gun in front of Ben, she new Ben was going to hurt John.

Anyway, a lot of new questions here, is there a new purge scheduled for our Losties? How did time worked on Ben’s flashbacks? Who was and who wasn’t on the island at the time of that purge? (Kelvin, Rousseau?) and of course, what does Richard eat to remain so young and why he doesn’t share it with Ben?

A really great episode! I’ve really loved this third season, no matter what people said… (Except Nikki+Paolo, which surely will prove to be useful in the future, but I can´t see how can that happen now) A unique TV show as we never have seen before! I can wait to see how it ends (not only the season, but the show)
  • Is this what you want? so be it.

The man behind the curtain is a true example of what LOST is all about, and i might add how happy I am, because the show that I once thought was becoming boring proved me wrong again. In this episode we see another side of John Locke, and what side hum? Got past all his secrets now we see him as a strong, persuasive, violent and powerfull character. Since last episode we´ve been seeing him like this, when he manipulated Sawyer to kill his father.. and now the fact that he got Ben into his will to know more about the island secrets and "meeting" Jacob by placing him (Ben) in a delicated position if front of all the others.. well I must say, way to go John. About punching Mikail.. Baby, why the hostility?? ^^
    What is/Who is Jacob?? Ben´s imaginary friend? Someone that only special people can see? What is it with him and flash lights? Well, I´m just too curious to know more about him, and i don´t think that the producers will turn us down when they reveal it.. even if he is a product of Ben´s imagination. I think it´s clear now that we´ve seen his flashback: Ben HAS pshycological issues. I certanly want to know what happened in the conversation he had with Richard. And how his mother showed up like that. Fun fact? Even after he got rid of his father, his birthday isn´t a big deal.. for no one, even his "daughter". Now, let´s ride to the beach. Not a surprise: Jack HAS a Plan! I knew it! \o/ He wouldn´t betray his island fellows like that, he wouldm´t do it AT ALL. Sayid, what a shame.. i´m disliking him more and more now. Questions:

Where is Ben´s sweetheart now?? Am I the only one who thinks Locke won´t die?? Oo Since the island has this cure power, and John is some kind of special boy there, i don´t think so.

How dead people appears there? Or is it some optical illusion? PS: It´s a FACT, Richard uses eyeliner for many years now. Go figure... Ps:
    My first review, please be nice. I don´t know if i´ll do it ever again.
    Btw, english is NOT my mother language so be pacient with the mistakes.
  • A 10 with plus!!! +10 :D

This was the gr8est episode from this season! Finaly the mistery with Ben was reavealed! Things like: he wasn't born on the island like we use to think until now, his mom died when he was born, and he didn't had a good relation with his father! That's why he show no mercy with Locke's father! But after all of this, i still feel pity for him!
    What was I curious about it was if Anne, Ben's friend in his childhood ... how could Ben let her die in that way, and put her on that pit with the people from Dharma initiative!

I feel much better now, seeing that Jack is "back together" on his "lostie team" and things are going to get better for them! I finaly think that I will like Juliet a little more.
    I hope they'll have a good plan! Now that they'll work together ... everything should be perfect! And I have no doubt with this!

Well, now ... about the last scene from the episode! At the begining i toth that Ben's crazy, like Locke said, but then I've heard that words "HELP ME", that was spooky! In that moment I`ve stoped to believe that Jacob is just Ben's immaginary friend! After this, everything was nice and perfect, until Ben shoot Locke! With all this, I don't think that Locke will die! Because he's not ment to die like this, i mean ... he should be dead by now! Just remember how many time he was ... almost dieing!
  • Questions answered, more posed

This was a very revealing episode. No one can complain about this one not furthering the plot or not answering questions.

Seeing Ben's flashbacks was just incredible. Finally, we know the difference between Dharma and "The Others" aka "The Hostiles".

The Others are responsible for the whispers, move without leaving tracks or makign sounds, and are apparently natives.

Also, judging by Richard, they seem not to age. Some crazy stuff. Good to see how Dharma was purged. But how do Ben and co. get money etc? Still using Dharma funds? And how did Ben get higher in heirarchy than Richard?Hard to say. The scene with Locke, Ben, and "Jacob", was one of the craziest I've ever seen on TV. We go from thinking Ben is just some sort of mentally ill liar, to wondering WTF is going. What is Jacob? Why can Ben see/hear him allegedly? And, almost most importantly, why does he need help?

As Locke has seemingly met his demise, the Losties are regrouped and ready for a battle. Should bode some wild things to come.
1 2 3 4 5