Lost

The Man Behind the Curtain

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 09, 2007 on ABC

• FINALLY!!! After 29 episodes of watching Michael Emerson ignite our televison screens, his character, Ben Linus got his first ever flashback episode! And it is awesome!

Since his introduction in Season 2's "One of Them", the character of Benjamin Linus [a.k.a Bug-Eyed Bastard] had been crying out for his own episode, and here in Season 3 that moment came. And it didn't disappoint. In fact, it was one of the best episodes of not only Season 3 but the entire series. The episode seemed to ignite the excitement and freshness of the series once felt way back in Season 1. The reason for this could be attributed to one thing: Jacob. Since Season 2, about the same time that Ben was introduced to audiences, another mysterious character was introduced but only in dialogue and never by name. He was referred to as he", "him", "a magnificent man" and an "unforgiving man" and someone who it appears reigns over all the other Others, even Ben. In early season 3 there is a passing reference to someone named "Jacob" and that his List didn't include Jack Shepherd, who was kidnapped by Ben's people. As the season progressed his name kept popping up but with no idea of who or what this person was. Until now!
    The scene when Ben and Locke visit Jacob's cabin is one of the best moments of the series and, interestingly, the first notable moment since Season 2's "Lockdown" where viewers felt the need to rewind, pause, zoom and screen-cap what was going on, if only to reveal who Jacob was. Not everyone picked him out on first viewing but after Ben is thrown against the wall the camera pans back across and for a split second we see a dark figure in the rocking chair, that before was empty. I, myself, haven't studied the figure hard enough to venture a guess as to who that figure might be, that is if it is someone we are already familiar with, Christian Shepherd, for example, or even Locke himself. Jacob's words were "Help me!". If the figure in the chair was in fact Locke then in some way what he said would make some kind of sense. Locke was being warned by himself sitting in the chair of Ben's attempt to murder him. As Locke lies in the Mass Grave later he says to Ben "Help Me!", which Ben, understandably misinterprits as being a plea for help to get him out of the grave. Maybe Jacob was offering a warning to Locke by somehow taking on the form or voice of Locke. That made me wonder whether Jacob is merely the manifestation of the Smoke Monster. We knew that Yemi and a host of other island manifestations were manifested by the Monster. So the Monster [aka Jacob] could have taken on the form of Christian Shepherd or Locke at that precise moment when Locke is about to leave in utter disbelief. Ben warns Locke before they enter that Jacob hates technology, which would make sense also if Jacob is the Monster. The monster hates the sonar security fence, therefore hating a form of technology. The scene in the cabin is one of the scariest moments the show has had, and we haven't had many scary moments for a long time. Ben's flashback is brilliant and reveals a ton of information regarding the DHARMA initiative, the Hostiles and the Purge. It also explains why Ben is obsessed with fertility experiments on the island, as his own Mother died whilst giving birth to him. Of course Emily Linus didn't give birth or die on the island, as Ben had claimed, so the reasons why pregnant women die here is still up for debate. One of the interesting things that is brought up in the flashback is the appearance of Richard Alpert in the jungle when Ben is young. This means that Richard does not age or ages really well, giving viewers another taste of the island's powers. It can heal, manifest whatever you want to appear on it [the Magic Box] and slow down the ageing process. Aside from longer hair, Richard Alpert doesn't appear a day younger than how we see him now. It was revealed that the original "Others" of the island, referred to by DHARMA as the "Hostiles" or the "Natives" were the original inhabitants of the island before the DI scientists even arrived. Could these Hostiles arrived on the island in the Black Rock? Could make sense? Maybe they arrived without intending, just like our Losties and learnt to survive on the island, while being affected by its magical powers.
    This episode also proves that no stone is left unturned. The DHARMA van and "Skeletor" from "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" earlier this season is revisited and we realise that the skeletal remains of "Roger Workman" wasn't just a random DHARMA janitor but the father of Benjamin Linus himself! Amazing loose end tie-up, which proves that even the least vital piece of information introduced in the show at first glance suddenly becomes so vital!
    We now know that DHARMA and the Others are NOT one and the same. It struck me a week after watching this episode that the two tribes brought up the theme of Science vs Faith. DHARMA represented the Science and the Hostiles represented the faith aspect and were probably more invested in the spiritual and metaphysical properties of the island rather than the technological and more science-based properties that DHARMA specialised in. That said, if John Locke and Jack Shepherd existed during these flashback events then Jack would be on the side of DHARMA and Locke on the side of the Hostiles. It is already apparent that Alpert has formed some kind of understanding of Locke. Maybe he, like alot of the Others, want to see a change in the heirarchy and the leadership of the island and therefore see the potential for Locke to come forward carrying Ben's old crown. Ben isn't happy with this new development, as much as he may respect Locke. He can't take the fact that someone, an outsider, may succeed Ben on the Others throne and that is purely the reason why Ben shot Locke, leaving him for dead in the DHARMA mass grave. The fact that Locke heard Jacob was enough motivation for Ben also. For only the leaders of Otherland can hear or see him!
    Ben senses he is losing his grip on his people and he isn't the only one. In a nice parallel Jack too seemed to be losing his leadership grip on the Losties, the issue of trust reaching a head. Jack may have resolved his leadership blip for now and if Locke does die then Ben has resolved his. But can Locke really be left to die? Of course this would be answered by season's end. Ben mentioned that he hopes Jacob will help John, presumably by healing him, just like he presumably healed Locke of his initial paralysis.
    Another nice parallel drawn this time between the flashback and the current island events was The Purge. This season has been slowly building to a war between the Others and the Losties and, therefore, by seeing the Purge of the DHARMA Scientists by the Hostiles in the 1970's, we perfectly set up the promise of a second Purge. But who will win this time? Will the Hostiles take control over the Losties once and for all or does Jack have "what it takes". As long as the ghost of Christian Shepherd doesn't appear to him on the island feeding him doubts we will be okay.
    One thing I noticed that I don't think anyone else has picked up on was regarding the powdery substance that Locke found near the Jacob's Cabin. When Locke picks up some in his fingers and smells it I couldn't help thinking that it was familiar somehow and then it dawned on me. In Season 2's "?" when Eko and Locke find the Beechcraft Locke smells the substance again, declaring it to be salt. Maybe it is the malting skin of the Smoke Monster. Don't forget that the Monster lurked near the Beechcraft later when it killed Eko. Or maybe it was ash still resting from the island's volcano? Or maybe the Smoke Monster is the result of whatever happened to the volcano. Maybe when the volcano erupted it released `ole smokey?! This is my longest review for a very long time and has made me realise what was missing from previous episodes. Sure the quality, since "Enter 77" has been consistently good but this and the last episode has brought back what I loved about the series in Season 1 and the space to allow for deeper introspection and analysis into the metaphysical properties of the island, which were sadly absent through much of the rest of the season. With more to talk and theorise about now, a welcome return to the more spiritual and metaphysical mysteries of the island, gathering anticipation of a second island Purge and the promise of rescue for our Losties the momentum of the series is at an all time high.
  • A peek behind the curtain reveals some of the biggest and best moments of the series

To say that we've been looking forward to seeing Ben's flashback and finally getting "some frigging answers" would be an understatement to the nth degree.. But unlike the flashbacks we got of Juliet, which have pretty much told us everything we need to know about her, 'The Man Behind the Curtain' seems to be more out of the Season 1 school, giving bits and pieces but not filling us in on the whole. And while we will eventually get more of the blanks filled in (but not til Season 5), once again are major word of mouth is Ben himself. And we all know that he's a liar.

Locke has called the bluff he made in the previous episode, and brought back his father's body to the camp. You can tell Ben really didn't think he was capable of it in his attitude. And until now, it's only seemed like Ben's grip has been loosening, now we see actual cracks. Mikhail shows up--- and Ben appears as surprised as anyone to see he's still alive--- and warns them about the woman who Desmond's group fished out of the trees. Considering what he tells them, it does raise the question how Mikhail knows all this--- Naomi was unconscious, and God knows nobody at the beach would've told him. We'll let this go for now. In any case when Locke sees Mikhail, he takes right up where the sonar fence left off, beating him to a pulp. Ben yells for Tom and Richard to do something, but they just watch. Looks like the mighty are about to fall. Even Alex--- who has good reason to loathe her father--- goes out of her way to make sure that Locke is armed before swishing him a disdainful 'Happy Birthday."

So, after nearly a whole season of waiting, Ben finally takes Locke to see Jacob-- the mysterious man that the Others (Ben in particular) have been using as the man behind everything. It's a considerable trek, and its worth noting some of the landmarks. As they walk through the jungle night, they pass a very large line of ash which Ben goes to great trouble to step over. In mythology, a circle of ash is used to keep demons away. It's significance here is hard to figure---- Ben may think that he's keeping others out with it, but it's just as likely that the Others have been using it to keep him sealed inside --- whoever 'him' is. Also, where did the ash come from? We hear mention of a volcano in this episode, but it has never been talked of again-- either in the real world or the flashbacks.

Finally, they come to an isolated cabin.. As they approached, we hear a faint scream, but no one does anything. Ben gives Locke one last warning that Jacob's not going to be happy to see them. This doesn't frighten Locke, so they go in. They turn off their flashlights, and Ben lights a lantern. Inside, there are jars with fluid, and a portrait of a dog (though he isn't playing poker). Then Ben talks to--- an empty chair. He insists that Jacob is in it (it's a brilliant piece of acting by Michael Emerson) and carries on a long conversation. Locke naturally thinks (like the audience is supposed to) that Ben has gone over the high side, and that all of his planning has been part of a graduated insanity. So Locke starts to leave. And then we hear "Help me." And in a moment that caused people across the country to paused their Tivo's, we see--- someone. Then Locke shines the flashlight on him, and the cabin goes crazy. Branches begin shaking, the jars with fluid go flying across the room, the kerosene lamp all but explodes. Locke is terrified, even though Ben seems perfectly calm (though I'm damn sure this isn't what he expected.) and stumbles out of the cabin. Ben emerges and simply says "That's Jacob."

By now, the rabid viewer of Lost has seen so much of that cabin that we probably know it inside and out, but we still don't know for sure--- was that really Jacob in that chair? No matter how many times I watch, it looks like an older version of Locke. And if it really was Jacob, why did he cry out 'Help me"? Did he sense that Locke was someone special or was he trying to find a way to shout out to what was keeping him prisoner? We still haven't gotten answers on this (the creators have to address it in Season 6, or they're not doing their jobs) but there's a very good possibility that Ben or Locke (probably both) were being deceived.

If all this episode delivered was the scene in the cabin, it would be worth the wait. But Ben's flashback is one of the most shocking we've ever had. Ben has had a difficult life. Born two months premature, his early appearance led to his mother's death, and his father's endless contempt for the son who killed him. Ben also lied about being born on the island (he even says so here); rather he came with his father as part of the Dharma Initiative. His father had great ambitions, and was royally pissed when he learned he was just going to be a work man. The only people Ben seemed close to was a girl named Annie and the man who brought them to the island, Horace Goodspeed. Annie seems to be the only person in the world who really loved him (she gave him a birthday present that he is still holding on to nearly thirty years later) and its clear from the way that he watched her before that the feeling was mutual. Which is why it's been very puzzling that we still have no idea what happened to here even now (another question the producers better answer) Horace is more interesting. He doesn't interact with Ben much, but he clearly treats him with more kindness that Roger Linus ever does.

Then Ben, like certain members of Oceanic 815 will, starts seeing dead people. In this case, he sees his mother. But unlike the others, who try to ignore it, Ben desperately wants to escape the hell he's in. So patiently he finds a way to turn off the sonic fence and runs into the jungle--- where he meets Richard. Richard's hair is bushier than it is in the present, but otherwise he looks exactly the same as he does now. Up until now, we've assumed that Ben was the leader; now it seems Richard has been monitoring him, and seems to consider him 'special', like he'll consider Locke several decades later. He tells Ben he can join them, but he'll have to be very patient. We won't learn for a little while longer what that patience will mean, maybe because it hasn't happened yet. (Confused? You ain't seen nothing yet.) The last flashback takes place in the early 90's. Ben has grown up, and is still a work man. He takes his father to a section of the island near the Pearl station (in the van that Hurley would later discover and bring back) We've seen Ben be ruthless before, but I define you not to be chilled to the bone when he cold-blooded gases his father. Simultaneously, the Dharma purge has taken place, and when Richard asks Ben if they want to move his father's body, Ben just tells him to leave it there. Now we get why they were so big on having him kill his father. He also seems to feel compassion towards Horace (he closes his eyes as if he regretted it) but he has no problem with them throwing all the bodies into a mass grave. God help us, he is a monster.

But his most brutal trick is yet to come. After the actions in the cabin, Locke tells Ben that he intends to expose him as a fraud to all the others. Ben repays him by taking him to that same mass grave where the Dharma Initiative have been rotting for nearly fifteen years. Locke knows something is coming but reacts to late, and Ben shoots him. But rather than leave him for dead he demands to know what Jacob said to him. (Which either implies he'd never heard Jacob talk before or what happened in the cabin was news to him.) He appears surprised when he hears Jacob's words, but rather than finish Locke off, he leaves him for dead Ben knows about the healing properties of this island, and he never does anything without a reason. So why didn't he finish him off then and there? Maybe like everyone else, he knows Locke is special, and that this is one more test. Maybe he's trying to regroup on what Mikhail told him. Whatever the reason, their story is not even close to being over.

'The Man Behind the Curtain' is arguably the high point of the season. It reveals Michael Emerson to be one of the premier actors of the shows (he received the first of three consecutive Emmy nods for this episode) and actually gave us a sympathetic portrait of Ben. What happened in the Dharma Initiative shaped him, but there was far more than what we saw in this episode to help turn him into the... person he is today. He may be a monster, but compared to some of what we've seen on this show, he didn't get there alone, and everything he does he does for a reason. But then he is a liar. Isn't he?
    My score:10
  • Revised!!!

Objective - » Lost maybe 60% completed right now. Mysteries started in Season 1 and 2 with the flashbacks were all revealed, if not, we are at 95% in terms of flashbacks. The mysteries about the others is in 50% at most, since in this Episode is time to Know Jacob, or at least, what Ben want to Show Locke. The mysteries in the Island like the Black Smoke monster or the Rules in the Island are in 30% maybe. The writers trying to tie this all and it seems that the next season things will be more revealing. Was time to put Ben as the Main Character and share his past with the Audience. The two setups already done in the last episodes, pay off in terms of Ben, since the events in the beach need more time to grow.

Flashbacks -» The beginning, I really don´t Know why was this necessary, maybe to tell this story better, but it seems to be about doing a strong presentation, resulting to alert the audience that Ben will have his flashback in this episode. The moment that Ben was Born, the complication Phase was already done. So we see some scenes during his Childhood, a clever and convenient move by the writers, to allow the secrets that Ben Know, to remain in his pockets. So this only allow us to see what we already Know. Not that I don´t appreciate this move since there a lot of confirmations/information's: Ben was saved by his dead mother (which we already had an idea what could this be and the meaning), Ben didn´t born in the Island, The other or hostiles were there before DI. The climax of his drama was when his father had a nice talk with him, demonstrating that he thinks that Ben is guilt for his mother dead. This lead to a stunning revelation about Richard. The ending only show what Ben is capable off and show too what happened with the Dharma Initiative.

Locke/Ben Event on The Island -» The beginning was strong, because Locke completed is mission, was time to Know the truth that he and us want to Know. Since the Complication phase was already set, was time to complicate things a little. What Locke did to Mikhail was nice. All the way we have Locke and Ben interaction, nothing that make this a top level interaction, but was not bad also. The climax, the moment of true was really strange, because Jacob is everything that you could not expect. The ending is shocking. The only thing really very well done is the fact that are people that actually thought that Jacob was there and there are people that thought that Ben is playing with Locke, but didn´t like the fact that Locke supposed ears Jacob.

Sub Plot in The Beach -» The set of the complication phase was already done in the last two episodes, so this was more about trusting Juliet and initiate another complication. With the tape, Juliet has a lot to explain or not.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Didn´t Notice.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Bronze. Only if you are a super fan if you didn´t notice how slow this episode tried to be. Not bad, since the revelation can be mind blowing and can make you think that this was worth watching.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold. Jacob and Richard, well, really surprising. The twist about Juliet was nice. The end is shocking for many and many fans out there.

4 - Action: Wasn´t necessary.

5 - Funny: None.

6 - Drama: Bronze. One Scene in Ben´s Flashbacks.

7 - Tension/Fear: Bronze. Maybe when you want to see Jacob.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold. You want to see Jacob? Want to Know what will happen to Juliet? Curious about Ben Flashbacks?

When I originally written this review, I thought that the episode didn´t deserve more than 8. Now that I saw all season 3 episodes again, and compared with other Lost season 3 episodes, I have no doubt that this episode was crucial, the information that Ben´s Flashbacks delivered was that type of only a 9 episode can deliver. Where Ben was born? The others really were there before the DI? Why Ben put a difficult Test like that to Locke (killing his own father)? How the Dharma Initiative leave the Island or what happened to them? And both Richard and Ben´s mother appearance deliver another intriguing questions. So, I think that a episode sometimes have one, two or 3 scenes that make the episode worth watching. This 1-5 scenes, is what we will remember and there is no doubt that this episode at least deserve a 9 because of the surprises and information's inside it?

Reflection -» There are things confirmed. The Others, Hostiles named by the Dharma Initiative, really were there before Dharma. Other thing is Richard apparent Immortality, this may explain why is impatient about Ben obsession with fatality, since immortal don´t want more population, mainly because they can bring more people.

Ben obsession is now explained, thought the circumstances of how he born and his relationship with his father. Which can explain why he tell Locke to kill his own father, so then Locke could be prepared and follow his footsteps. Ben saw his dead mother in the Island and that make him special?
  • Wow

Whilst filling the void until the new season of Lost starts, i came across this classic on DVD and felt compelled to review it:

'The Man Behind The Curtain', contains so many clues, hints, answers and mysteries, it was practically bursting at the seems. From mass murders to mysterious visits in the night, a new orientation video and an oddly un-aging Richard Alpert, this Ben-centric episode had it all. Ben takes Locke to see Jacob; a mysterious being who Ben claims to take orders from, the dramatic confrontation to follow as well as what happens after turns Locke the skeptic into a true believer. Ben's early life is also shown and despite what he claims (several times) he wasn't born on the island.

For those who are curious of Ben's early life this episode is like the promise land as we're given almost a blow - by - blow description of Ben's life before he became the one we know and er, love today. These flashbacks may seem slow but are vital in piecing together what we know about Ben and for the lost fanatic, this is more important than entertainment.

Having this episode centered around Ben and Locke was genius as they're the most intereting and well - acted characters on the show, their scenes light up. The performances of Michael Emerson and Terry O'Cuinn are great as usual. This episode is basically a continuous build - up to the dramatic confrontation with Jacob and it does not disappoint! I recommend not watching it in the dark however, you've been warned. That scene leaves us with more questions than we've had surrounding any previous character but the fact the Jacob is real is concrete. The Man behind the Curtain is a feast for any Lost fan; acting, writing, directing and information - wise it is at it's best and from beginning to end, it has us involved.
  • A Ben-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode. I've been very intrigued by the character Ben ever since they introduced him on the show, so I'm so glad that the writers finally did a Ben-centric episode. It was great getting to see flashbacks of Ben's life and the early days of the Dharma Initiative. I was extremely shocked when Jack told the rest of the plane crash survivors that Juliet had already admitted to him that Ben had ordered to spy on all of the plane crash survivors. That was definitely very surprising. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involve in the making of it, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD set so I can find out how the season ends.
  • Oh my Jacob!

The Brig earned a 10/10. So this one earns a 11/10.

Honestly... this changed everything. This episode changed the way we look at Lost. Not just the entire plot, but certain characters too.

This episode is the true gamechanger.

The third 10/10 of the season, and it's very well earned.

A Ben flashback. Can you believe it? a BEN!!! flashback. How long have we waited for this? Well, since season 2 episode 14. And it finally happens. And it doesn't let us down.

Every single thing about this episode rocked. Starting with the flashbacks: seeing Dharma active. Seeing how Ben had daddy issues. Seeing how little Ben was a quiet, insecure boy. Seeing how he joined the "Others". Seeing the PURGE! Seeing Richard in the same condition as 20 years later..... and so much more. Still, the most shocking moment for me had to be Ben killing his father as a part of the purge. You know, last episode, Locke had his father killed, but even though Locke's father was probably worse than Ben's, he still couldn't do it himself. Ben? Without thinking twice. The island portion... oh my god, where do I start? I think this episode helped alot in making Ben a little easier to relate to. The fact that Alex hates him, the fact that his people are no longer listening to him as much as they used to, and the fact that John Locke is commanding him makes him a little more human.

Even the biggest bosses answer to someone. Since 3x6 we've heard many references to a mysterious man called Jacob. And oh boy. OH BOY. We meet Jacob. Or do we?

According to Ben, only the chosen ones can interact with Jacob. We can't see Jacob. Locke can't see him.... but at the very last moment he hears someone saying... "Help me."

Jacob? Yes. For a brief moment, we get to see Jacob, the island's god too. A man sitting in a chair with a huge beard who doesn't like technology. Sitting in a creepy cabin sourrounded by ash. If anything, this was the most horroristic scene of Lost so far. And the bravest one too. An invisible man? How far can the writers go? Evidently, very far. But there's no doubt in me that all this is planned. So I enjoyed this for what it is. And even after the Jacob scene, it wasn'T over.

I guess Ben shooting Locke was one of the most unexcepted things to happen in the episode(right after the reveal of Jacob) . And it makes sense. Ben's final test for Locke was wether he can interact with Jacob or not. He could. So Ben's position is in danger.... and logically, he shoots Locke. But why not finish him once and for all? Why just leave him bleed out?

Is it possible that Ben also wants to test the island / Jacob? If Locke comes to life, then he know that Locke is indeed who the island wants in Ben's place. But if he doesn't.... he's not.

Overall, an incredible episode. The plot is completetly changed. As for character development, there was plenty, even though not as much as usual. But it's okay. Ben is an epic character, so it's understandable that the writers are taking their time with him. I thought his relationship as a kid with Annie was interesting, and it just makes me wonder what happened to her... One of the very best episodes of the show.
  • This is a very revealing episode as it tells us all about the Dharma group on the island, about some information regarding the hostiles and then back into reality where Locke forces Ben's hand and gets to go and see Jacob.

The episode starts off with a couple, Roger and Emily in a wooded area, she is in the throws of giving birth, she then has a baby boy, but then starts to have problems. Roger carries her through to the road, where they are able to flag down a couple in a car, Emily tells Roger to name him Benji and then dies.

We then go to present day, to the other's camp where they are all shocked to see Locke arriving, carrying his fathers' body on his back, as told that would be the only way for him to get back into the group. Soon afterwards, Mikhael comes running into the camp calling for Ben and telling him about Naomi and her appearance and how they must get her from that camp immediately, then Locke uses the audience to say that they are going to see Jacob and that will have to wait, when Mikhael insists, then Locke beats him with his fists, nobody moves at all to help when Ben tells him to stop or ask others to intervene.

Then we see in a series of flashbacks regarding Ben's arrival and settling into the island. We see his father reaction to be informed that he is a workman when he was promised more, then we see Ben have a childhood friend Annie, then him running through to the sonic fence after having a vision of his mother, then him actually at a later time, deactivating the fence and going into the jungle, looking for his mother but finding Richard and being told to be patient.

Back on the beach, we have Sawyer playing the tape for Sayid, they go and visit Juliets shelter but are told by Kate that she's not there and she doesn't know where they are and she begins to defend Jack, Sayid walks away and tells him to play her the tape. Then we see it being later, nightime and all on the beach are introdcued to Naomi and they all hear the tape. Just then Jack and Juliet arrive, Juliet plays her ace and says she told Jack that and he should turn the tape over and play that, which he does and hears Ben's plan to take Sun, which Jack says he knew about but was still thinking on it.

Ben and Locke take their journey to see Jacob, we see them going through the jungle, across a circle of some kind of crushed material, then onto the house, where Locke is told to put the torch away as he and Jacob are technophobes, Ben announces them and then lights the lantern and goes in, followed by Locke, Ben starts talking to n empty chair, Locke after a little while calls him a con, even crazy as there is no one there, he takes out a torch and there is some sort of paranormal experience in the room, a figure is seen very briefly in the chair facing Ben, before Locke leaves, shortly followed by Ben.

We have a flashback to an older Ben now, also with a Dharma jumpsuit, Ben and workman stencilled on it, we see them load up the vw and are told that its Ben's birthday again, that perhaps they can have a beer on the way back from Pearl station. When they do stop, Ben puts on his gasmask, pops a cannister in the car and watches his dad die, then we see him arrive at the barracks and we see all Dharma people laying dead, others appear, the hostiles as they were called and Richard is one of them, still the same age as the younger Ben remembers.

Locke notices they are taking a different route back, he comments on it and is told he has one more thing he needs to show him, he shows him the unfilled in grave where all the Dharma people's skeletons are, saying that he had to make a choice, one side had to go and he choose the right side, then he shoot Locke in the stomach, he falls into the hole/grave and is asked what Jacob told him, "Help me" Locke says, Ben says he hopes that Jacob can help him now, and he leaves Locke for Dead.
  • omg

Locke returns to the Others and Ben begrudgingly takes Locke to meet the Others' mysterious leader Jacob. Locke is unable to see Jacob, but can hear him, with Ben shooting him because of this. The survivors' mistrust of Jack peaks when Juliet is exposed as a mole, however Juliet in turn reveals that has been working with Jack against the Others. Flashbacks show when Ben first came to the island as a boy as part of the Dharma Initiative. Ben conspires with the Others, at least one of whom does not age in the next thirty years, and kills most of Dharma. Many questions were answered in this episode and it is my favourite of the third season, I really liked the part with Jacob.
  • one of my favourite.

Locke breaks away from the Others in an attempt to persuade Sawyer to kill Locke's father, who is actually the original "Sawyer," who caused the death of Sawyer's parents. Naomi says that Oceanic Flight 815 was found and that there were no survivors. Finnaly we got to see Sawyer meet the real Sawyer (Anthony Cooper ,Lockes Dad) and what a clash it was Sawyer back to his old self and Anthony being a total mess, I always new Locke and Sawyer had a connection right from the start of the series. This is a great episode of lost with many memeroble momments.
  • Ben....

This episode revealed so many things yet gave us so many things which aren't uncovered. Locke comes back to the camp with his father's body on his back. Then Locke demands to see the man Ben claims to be the one who knows everything about the island....Jacob. Ben says it's complicated and does not want to take Locke to Jacob but Locke demands and even beats Mikhail to prove how much he wants his meeting with Jacob. So ben sets off with Locke to see Jacob. When they are there the weirdest things happen like Ben talks to an empty chair and the room starts going crazy like the glass breaking and ropes flying about. When Locke and Ben leave Jacob or whatever that was Ben tells Locke he wants to show him something. The thing was a big ditch with dead bodies inside. Ben shoots Locke and asks him what Jacob says to him. Ben has flashbacks of when he first came to the island and how he escaped the dharma initiative and made friends with the inhabitants. After years from Ben coming to the island he kills everyone in the Dharma initative with a single can of poisonous gas and the inhabitants take over. Wow I was blown away after seeing all of this. All these burnng questions I have, all these strange things happening, Oh wow I loved this episode. Also in this episode the tape of Juliet reporting to Ben about Sun's situation is heard by everyone but Juliet and Jack expalin to everyone that they both knew what they have to do which left me left me with a big...HUH ?! Loved this episode. It's the one episode of the season everyone waits for. Favorite part of the episode : The encounter with Jacob ! which by the way freaked me out. Favorite character from this episode : Has to be Locke !!! What my friends think : Friend number 1 : Brilliant . 2 : Fantastic. 3 : A little slow but still great. Loved this episode myself !! Great stuff !!. What I think should improve : More screentime for Claire and more cute Araon appearances :)
  • Wow!

Ben has flashbacks to when he was born and his mother died. He and his father, Roger, go to the island to work for Dharma. Roger is a terrible father, so Ben makes a pact with the "hostiles" and kills the Dharma people.

Locke comes back and wants to know everything about the island. Ben tells him that there is a man above him in rank named Jacob. Locke wants to see Jacob, but Ben is afraid. Locke finally convinces him to go. They arrive at a shack with nothing much in it. Ben starts talking to an empty chair that Ben claims to be Jacob. Locke says that it's a joke and attempts to leave. He then hears a voice different from Ben that says, "Help me." Chaos errupts when Locke points his flashlight. Ben takes him to the grave where the Dharma people lay and then shoots Locke and leaves him for dead. Sawyer is back and tells Sayid about Locke and the tape. Sayid and Sawyer reveal it to Kate, who trusts Jack. They all have a meeting with everyone about Juliet and the tape. When questioned, Juliet reveals Ben's reply about coming to take the pregnant women and that she told Jack about it.

This episode was great! The Jacob thing was really weird. I don't really know what to think about him. The part with Ben as a boy on his birthday was sad when Roger was telling him how he killed his mom and stuff. I really felt sorry for Ben at that point. This episode was so crazy and awesome! Although I already know Locke's fate, I hope he doesn't die. This episode gets a 10 out of 10 from me!
  • One of the best episodes of Lost.

With Ben being one of my favorite characters on Lost, I definitely enjoyed seeing this flashback episode about him (the only one as of yet). Ben knows more about the island than any of the Losties do, so this flashback episode about him gave us some great information.

This episode did an excellent job of giving us some answers, while creating new questions. The flashback was also incredibly interesting, especially when Ben killed his dad and 39 others in "The Purge". Richard not aging was a nice new mystery that added a different element to the island, and the story in present - island time - especially when Ben and Locke went to Jacob's cabin - were exhilarating. Meeting Jacob, one of the best and most mysterious characters on Lost, was also a highlight of this fantastic episode.

Overall, definitely a great episode of Lost's third season; I would highly recommend this episode to anyone. 9.9/10.
  • Amazing!

I think The Man Behind The Curtain is a wonderful episode of LOST. It was very very revealing to say the least. We got to take a look into Ben's past. I loved the flashbacks. They were just absolutely amazing in my opinion. I loved the on island storyline as well. The scene where Ben takes Locke to meet Jacob was one of my favorites. I was so excited when we saw a flash of Jacob. I loved that scene so much. It was very well done. And the ending scene was amazing! I never in a million years expected Ben to shoot Locke. I think my jaw was hanging open. Overall I think this episode was just absolutely awesome! 10/10!
  • Oh My God!

• So much to learn about Dharma and Ben and many more questions will rise.

It was different episode as so far we knew so less about Ben and this episode revealed that all was not so true, like he was born on this island. But he may have thought that he was somehow re-born or something. At least it made some things more clear as I was wondering how could he born in this island.

The flashbacks - they gave us maybe more idea about the Dharma even so much is left unsure. What was happening when there was alarm. It felt like someone was bombing them? Or was it monster but how did he get past? And when Ben left and met that mysterious man.. how that man who seemed to lead him to join the hostiles now does what he says (even if he seems to be trying to favor Locke to the position of leader) Was he even the same man?

The past that Ben had... when in the minibus episode Roger somehow got some symphaty as he seemed to be just another pointless man Dharma used, then here we find out his real person, what he did with his son and we see it all in another angle. It seems to be that almost everyone in the island has problems with fathers and so many of them are ended there in person or in ghosts (Locke's, Jack's)... the dead relatives seemed to be gathering there.

The Jacob part... quite messy one, as it was complicate and scary, maybe little bit too mystical for the usual theme but it was not bad. Exciting.
  • Another great episode, although the flashback story felt a bit incomplete.

Obviously, this episode has been anticipated for a long time. Ben's arrival in the middle of season two kick started the season and he has since become a valuable part of the ensemble. With his various manipulations and mind games, it can be almost impossible to determine when he is honest and when he is playing another game. So, as his character sees his role in The Others in jeopardy, it makes sense to explain how he became the leader. It seems like these flashbacks were originally going to be for the finale, which would fit past season themes, but the news of a definitive end date could've made them switch things around, still holding a major card for the finale. As a result, there are a lot of blanks to be filled, but that seems to promise that there will be plenty of Ben in the future.

It's not a big surprise to learn that Ben wasn't born on the island (even if there was no way he could remember his birth), but his words could be reinterpreted. Being "born" on the island doesn't necessarily mean a natural birth like Aaron's, but a spiritual one like being "born again". His alliance with The Hostiles made him into the man he is, even if he's holding residual resentment towards his abusive father.

Like nearly every character, Ben's dad has issues with his father. The death of his mother after giving birth to Ben hung over his head so much that his father wouldn't let him have even a good birthday without bringing up that fact in the least sensitive manner possible. This explains Ben's behavior in "The Brig" when Locke was faced with his own abusive father and Ben tried to convince him to do it, as well as Ben's obsession with fertility. It also wouldn't be hard to believe, with what was revealed in "One of Us", that Ben could somehow manifest a situation where all pregnant women died. The island has done similar things before to other characters, particularly Walt. Perhaps the fertility solution will only be solved when Ben dies or resolves his issues.

Juliet served to show us how The Others would bring in someone to join them. It turns out Ben was brought in similarly, but his active choice showed his "commitment". It's still unclear what it is like for someone born into the Others, or if any of them apply to that term. Richard would be the closest as he is the only prominent Other seen as part of the Hostiles, but not much is known about his history. Time has been explored before, but this episode introduces a whole new element with Richard's history. He has not aged since he first met Ben in the 70s, yet Ben has grown up. There have been hints that The Others, at least those who devote themselves to their beliefs, may have some ability to control time and space (see the reversed audio from Room 23). Ben remarking about remembering birthdays could be read as Richard being so old he has lost count of his real age. Ben's aging, as well as his illness, could be major hints to his lack of ability to truly lead The Others.

Ben's mother (who oddly enough was played by Michael Emerson's real life wife) appearing before him and leading him to the sonic fence could be chronologically the earliest occurrence of The Monster. This vision intrigued Richard and is likely what got him to become the eventual leader. It's not hard to believe that The Others would wait for a Chosen one and no one had such an experience. However, we've seen The Monster manifest itself as many people or things to other characters, so eventually The Others would have such encounters. With Locke's miraculous recovery, it places him on top as potential successors because he is the "real deal". Since Ben became the leader after assimilating, it wouldn't be hard to believe that Locke could do the same.

Unlike last season, this episode is the first true look at how Dharma operated on the island. The open mindedness of hippie scientists is shown with Horace, but hints are dropped throughout of more nefarious undertakings, such as the shoot out Roger finds himself in while on a routine delivery. There is still some meat in the Dharma story.

While described as natives, The Others during the purge had access to tools and weapons that couldn't be made on the island. The gas canister lacked the always prominent Dharma logo, so it could be implied that The Others didn't steal it for their plan. Perhaps Mittelos existed and had prior access to the island, but quickly clashed with Dharma over their inhabitation.

It's been presumed that the pair working in The Swan, possibly Radsinksy and/or Kelvin, were unaffected by the Purge, as their post demands isolation and Ben may have not known about it. Considering how little was mentioned about other Dharma stations in "Live Together, Die Alone", not to mention Kelvin and Desmond's behavior, it's reasonable to conclude that as correct. As far as they knew, no one was coming to take their place, and Kelvin got lucky when Desmond washed ashore, and could be trusted as an outsider. How they found out their associates died is another question, but that could point to Kelvin and/or Radsinsky being Others like Mikhail, who still adorned the Dharma gear.

While Ben felt that humiliating Locke in the previous episode would be enough to get him off the track of joining The Others, he underestimated how desperate Locke wanted to commune with the island, as we saw within that episode. Knowing he has the upper hand, Locke underwrites everything Ben says, especially when he can yell it to everyone in the camp. Payback is sweet for Locke, who comes to believe none of what Ben says is real and that Ben is this episode's eponymous character.

Although Ben's grip as leader may be tenuous, Jacob is very real. The scene at the cabin was a trip. Initially, Ben appears crazy to have an impassioned dialogue with an empty chair, but there are more than tricks in the shack. The brief glimpse of Jacob, both through video and high definition pictures, has been posted throughout the internet, so it's easy to analyze. The forehead resembles Locke, but a close up of an eye during the chaos resembled Desmond. The idea of someone we already know being Jacob is hardly new, but this shot adds some credence to various theories.

The ash line, as well as the small pile on the chair in the shack, is another discussable subject. Some believe it's an inert version of The Monster. However, it seems more likely that it would be something used to keep Jacob contained. His request for help to Locke could suggest that Ben is holding him prisoner because his power prevents him from crossing a line of ash.

Why Jacob reached out to Locke is a major question. Did he mean help as in assistance, like taking over as the human element of the Others or to uncover some element of the island? Did he mean the popular interpretation, that he was in dire need of assistance and Locke was the only person to help him. As more is revealed about Jacob, this should become clear.

With Jacob contacting Locke without Ben knowing, Ben goes to extremes to stay a leader. By shooting Locke and leaving him in the mass grave (some of whom appear to have been shot as well), he hopes to keep his position and ensure Locke dies before anyone will be able to find him. Of course, considering his wound was in his abdomen (perhaps near where his kidney used to be), the island's healing properties as well as Locke's importance, there is no chance it'll be the last of him.

While "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead" appeared to be a filler episode, it actually gave us a hint of what would happen in this episode. The episode confirms that Ben's father drove the Dharma van Hurley found. Answering that question added some darkness to the upbeat Hurley episode. Initial thoughts made Roger sympathetic, a possible victim of an "incident". However, this episode changes that by showing us how horrible he was to his son.

Back on the main beach, things grow tense as Sawyer returns with the evidence incriminating Juliet. It gets worse when Naomi and her news that they are presumed dead becomes common knowledge. While they are powerless against informing people that they are alive, the believed confirmation of Juliet's treachery threatens to tear the castaways apart. This certainly warrants the question of why Jack wouldn't be open to telling his trusted friends this information in hopes that they would collaborate on a plan. It comes off as unusual.

The biggest problem with this episode is its incompleteness. In Ben's flashbacks, he goes from being a preteen to an adult with little explanation for the interim years. Perhaps this episode was meant to be a two hour episode, with additional flashbacks detailing his assimilation and perhaps offering insights to other incidents on the island (like Rousseau's expedition and the abduction of Alex). This type of jump is similar to Jesus in The Bible, who is seen as a newborn, a preteen and an adult similarly. It also ties into previous moments, such as seeing Ben tied up in a Christ-like pose when he was in The Swan last season. Why they would go for Christ metaphors for Ben is unclear and slightly odd (especially considering the father-son relationship), but may make sense or be discredited after we see more from him.

Annie is another loose end that stopped more than ended. It's not clear whether she was among the purge, as Ben would likely stop to remember her as he did with Horace. One popular theory I like is that Annie is Danielle (Annie could be a short form). There seemed to be some hint of history when they've interacted in the past. It also helps that Michael Emerson and Mira Furlan share the same birthday, only a year apart.

As the season wraps up, major conflicts come to a head. This episode had plenty of surprises, as well as some questions answered in the process. While Ben's flashbacks felt incomplete, the result on his character in the present was still compelling. The stakes are ratcheted high with Naomi becoming known to both camps and with the planned invasion of the beach imminent. This kind of payoff is what we've been waiting for, and the build up has been superb.
  • We finally learn got to learn more about Ben's past life and in it was plain excitment!

Following from last weeks episode 'The Brig' John brought his dead father back to Ben's camp with the body on his back, but Ben refuses to take John to Jacob so John knocks Mikhal out and then they go together to see the mysterious Jacob. The flashbacks of Ben were very revealing in a way to help you understand the island in those days as well as Ben. He has a father who always forgot about his birthday, well not seriously forgetting but just didn't bother to get him anything. His mother dying seemed to have a bad influence on Ben and his fathers friendship. As he grew older he left the Dharma Initiative to be a hostle. Better choice seeing as though the Dharma sucks! Nameste Thank you and goooooooooooooood luck!! The part where Ben killed off his dad and the the Dharma initiative inhabitants was a little sad but Be must've done it for his reasons. Back to Ben and John, Alex gives Locke a gun incase of Jacob. Ben take him to Jacob, warning him not have flashing lights on or else...?!
    Ben and John walk inside Jacob's house and Ben starts talking to a chair, at first I'm thinking WHAT the hell is he doing? Is there really a Jacob is the question: "HELP ME". That is what John heard out of Jacob or was it someone else?
    Ben shoots Locke because Locke heard Jacob. Ben you silly man, why did you kill Locke? Traitor. But unfortunetly for the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815, the tape recorder wasn't enough to eliminate and destroy Juliet from being with the survivors. Is she still one of them or has she changed? But this episode was incredible, absloutely stunning, it's a shame that John got killed off if he is dead, what a shame.
    But awesome overall!
  • Best episode of season three. I was just beggining to get tired when this episode woke me back up.

I wish every viewer that got annoyed and tuned out saw this episode as it revealed some answers about how the DHARMA corporation went away(they died). Then in true LOST style another mystery to look forward to solving is born, Jacob who appears to be a ghost of some sort gets angry and talks to Locke for a second but then gets angry from Locke's flashlight so that was my favourite scene. Looking forward to that mystery being sloved no matter how long it takes. Jack Shepard shows how much of a "I think I'm god" jerk he is. Jack Shepard should just stop trying to think that he can say anything and no one can question him, I used to like his character more in season one.
  • that was so good!

who ever has decided to quit "lost" must be utterly mad. right now it's providing some of the best episodes ever and "the man behind the curtain" is one of them. finding out about ben's past was really moving in some parts. i felt very sorry for him for most of his flashback but when the betrayal was revealed what ever few sympathy had been left for him vanished completely. sure, he didn't have a nice childhood and youth but that's not too much of a good reason to turn into a ruthless killer (i actually was still quite surprised about it, i hadn't expected him to be a murderer after all). i can check off the question about what has happened to the people from dharma from my absolutelymustknowlist now (there actually was an answer given for once). i'm really looking forward to find out more about the "hostiles", where they came from and why (judging from richard's appearance) they don't seem to age. the absolut stunner was the trip to jacob though. this was so very creepy and i still don't know what it is i've seen. which brings me to the very end of this episode ... omg, i didn't see that coming! even though i don't like locke too much, i don't think he's dead, that would be too much of an inglorious ending i wouldn't even wish for him.

what happened back at the beach was quite interesting as well. juliet seems to have switched sides for good but jack doesn't seem to have realized that his fellow "losties" don't need him to decide for them and he felt like a foreign body more than ever.
  • Locke confronts Ben and demands that Ben take him to Jacob. Ben remembers his childhood on the Island, revealing the history of the Dharma Initiative and how the Others came to power.

What I liked about this episode is that it was the first episode about Ben and also that we see in a flashback how the Dharma initiative was and how the Others came to be the leaders. We see also how badly Ben's dad treated him and Ben's dad asks for forgiveness but Ben doesn't accept it so he kills him with intoxicating air and also kills the other people of the Dharma initiative. Some people had masks which were the ones probably helping or of service of Ben and they also seem to be in the Dharma initiative. What was scary about this episode was that Jacob was throwing everything and it was in the dark and that Ben shot Locke.
  • This was one of those episodes, where a lot was revealed that helped Lost as a whole.

We learn a lot about Ben during this episode. How he was blamed by his father for the death of his mother, until ultimately he sided with the hostiles to eliminate the Dharma people.

As he tells Locke he was responsible of the death of 40-odd people.

During this episode we also got to know that in fact Ben isn't the leader of the others, but he gets orders from someone else. And here we meet the mysterious Jacob.

Nobody knows who or how Jacob looks like. But we saw Ben getting extremely agitated when Jacob talked to Locke. This leads to very interesting outcomes in the future.
  • What just happened?

Locke goes on a trek with Ben in order to see Jacob the leader of the others. Flashbacks revel how the charater of Benjimin Linus evolved. One of the greatest cliffhangers in Lost's history. Who coulden't love it? (Bonus: It's Ben's Birthday)

This episode was as frustruating as it was good. The episode said that it would tell us who Jacob was and all it did was raise more questions. But I guess this is Lost. Oh, and don't forget Ben's Birthday either. Because bad things happen when you forget...

Overall a great episiode that left me beggin for more .
  • lost proves it's worth once again :)

very interesting episode....
    found out the truth about the purge and who the real dharma people where..loche heard jacob speak and SAW him (in slowmo you can see him and it he resembles loche a little bit)....

do the hostiles age?
    richard looks the same age as he was when ben was a child although ben has most certainly aged since then...

loche couldnt have died as he is meant to be having some sort of showdown with jack in the series finale....

if they had communication with the outside world how come they didnt realise everyone had died and still where helping the hostiles.....dr marvin candle obviously doesn't like the hostiles though :P

who knows? not me....

any ideas on why all of flight 815's passengers where apparently found dead and/or who naomi is?
  • After watching this episode, who can honestly say Lost isn't the best show on TV?

WOW, what more can I even say besides the fact that this episode totally kicked a$$!!! In fact, this episode was so good it might've just made the 3rd season my favorite season, replacing Season 1. These last few episodes have just been killer: One of Us, Catch-22, The Brig, and now this!! Well, let's just get a couple things straight:

1. Damon and Carlton DO keep their promises. Does anyone even remember the mini-season now?

2. Let us laugh in the face of all those losers who didn't have the faith to continue with LOST. Man, are they missing out!!

Ben Flashbacks!- This episode was great in delivering an awesome Ben-flashback while at the same time wrapping up the history of the DHARMA Intitiative. Sure, there's still a lot of inovation for new stories dealing with the "Purge" and Dharma's reign on the island, but could they really have summarized the DHARMA story any better? I think we now, for the most part, understand exactly how the DI lived on the island. Now all we need to learn is what the hell they we're doing exactly.

Jacob? Is that You?- We also got a glimpse at what appeared to be an empty chair. No wait, that's not an empty chair! That's er...Jacob? Unless you were lucky enough to catch the milisecond glimpse of Jacob, you're probably deep into your own theories by now about what exactly IS Jacob. And that's great. LOST has always been about encouraging fan-theories and conspiracies. I'm so glad that we've gotten out of Fall 2006 because you know if they had shown this back then, it would have been no theories and all complaints. Once again, isn't it great that this show has come back to its former glory?

Locke and Ben- Locke and Ben have always had an interesting chemistry and this episode was no different. The best part was, I think that Locke proved himself to the Others as being a person who might just be more of a leader than Ben. I think that Ben noticing this and the fact that even Jacob acknowledged Locke, led him to the conclusion that Locke very well might someday challenge Ben's rule over the Others. So realizing this, Ben does the unthinkable, and well...I don't have to say it.

Let's just put it this way..

When Locke gets back up, he's gonna have a little bug to squash.
  • A little insight to who Ben is.

At first i really did not like the idea of having an episode based around Ben. For the fact the he was not a survivor of the crash and because he is the so called leader of the others. Putting my first reaction aside the episode was really good but I did not like the ending. I was happy that we got a little insight to who the Darma Initiative is and why they are no longer on the island. I can not believe that Ben's father blamed him for his mother death and the Ben killed his father. I hope that Locke is not dead.
  • Jacob...who the hell are you?

The most fantastic episode since Man from Tallahassee. Ben's flashback is insightful to DHARMA, he joins every other Lostie on the Daddy Trouble list, and more importantly we learn what happened during the Purge and that the others (minus Ben) were originally the Hostiles. In real time, Ben takes Locke to go see Jacob. I won't lie, I was up out of my seat once again. During the whole Jacob scene I was dying with anticipation as to whether we'd see him or not, and for a brief second...we did. I've heard rumors that Jacob is Locke in another timeline , or that Ben is skitzo, or even that Jacob is not real, because they are all in a mental home. My opinion is that Jacob is the overseer of the island, and he is being held by Ben (hence the ash circle we saw). When he asks Locke for help, he wants Locke to rescue him from Ben's captivity. Also, John Locke is not dead. Or at least I really really really hope not.
  • The best episode of season 3.....

This episode was defintely my favourite of the third season. We start off with Ben's Mother and father out in a woods. She gives birth to a boy but is bleeding and in pain. They run out onto a highway and get picked up by a couple. Emily dies and tells Roger to call the baby Benjamin. We then see that it is Ben's birthday and Locke comes with Anthony's dead body. He asks to see Jacob. Ben relucantly takes him to the mysterioius Jacob who Locke cannot see but sees what he can do.On the way back from the trip Ben shows Locke a pit with tons of skeletons. The skeletons are the remains of his former people, The dharma initiative.They are all dead because of him. He joined up[ with Richard and the others. Ben finnaly shoots Locke and he lands in the pit. Bean leaves him for dead!LOST
  • This was the best!

Oh my God! This episode and The Brig were the best obes of the seasont so far! We learned so much about ben,ljacob,the island. I cant believe it. And so much good stuff is going on the beach with the woman. Are they dead? Is there a ship coming? Can they be rescued? Is Locke dead? We will see!
    Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!Rock on Lost!

Only three more!
  • great episode

John Locke leaves the shipwreck and heads back to the camp of the others. Sawyer goes back to the camp of the survivors and he speaks Sayid. Sawyer tells him about the recording on the tape recorder that he brought with him. This episode is a Ben episode, we get to learn the history of Ben right from his birth up to the point where he grows up in the island. So much happens there and we get to learn about it for the very first time. It's a really interesting episode, this episode shows all kinds of stuff happening at once. It's really good.
  • Yes! The long-touted Ben flashback has arrived! And he had a LOVE INTEREST? Seems quite out of character for him. Also, who's Roger Workman (it's work MAN, not workman!), and has Benny really lived on the island all his life? Not to mention JACOB!

Ben and Jack's daddies will go on a zombie binge-drink in Season 7. They're both alcoholic jerks - who's to say it won't happen? Yes, Ben murdered his own father in cold blood. We got to see some of the purge (I'm not sure if that was the entire purge, because I imagined more gore. But LOST is a family show, so eh....), and how the Others ended up getting those comfy houses of theirs. And how could I leave JACOB out of the picture?! We finally found out what he looked like (or didn't look like)! It was freaky when Locke brought the flashlight in and he went beserk, but his voice was deep and guttural. Ben was talking to the chair like a psycho, and my mom and I were laughing at him insanely for about three minutes. But I was just watching 318 One of Us on my PSP and Ben mentioned something about Jacob authorizing him to cure Juliet's sister Rachel from her cancer. If Ben's never heard him... how could he give him the green light? I don't think he could've wrote it down... he's invisible! But will Locke really die? He was thrown in the corpse pit from the purge (irony alert), which was a 2-3 foot deep trench with a gunshot wound on his side. Slim odds. "You heard him? What did he say?" "...help... me..." "I'm not going to ask you again! Tell me or I shoot--" "No, no! H...he said.... help... me....!" Funny stuff. Well, I guess I get my answer in an hour, since LOST is coming on here soon. But MAN is Ben cold! I thought he was just devious, but he's more than that... well, until 321 Greatest Hits!
< 1 2 3 4 5