Lost

The Moth

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 03, 2004 on ABC

• Awesome.

Charlie is suffering from withdrawal and asks Locke for his heroin, and Locke says that he will return the drugs the third time Charlie asks. Charlie later asks Locke for his heroin for the third time and Locke gives it back but Charlie destroys it. Flashbacks show Charlie and his brother Liam leading their band DriveSHAFT and, eventually, Liam gets Charlie hooked on heroin. Years later, Charlie visits Liam's house in Australia and wants him to rejoin DriveSHAFT for their comeback tour but a clean Liam refuses. My favourite character episode - Charlie - I love his storyl - best one by far! I love the scenes with the transceiver. I also love the caves and what happens in the caves this episode - brilliant story. I love the way Jack helps Cahrlie and of course Locke helps too.
  • The BEST Episode Of The Entire Show!

Can I say this episode takes the cake! This happens to be my favorite episode of all. I hasve watched every single episode dozens of times bu I keep coming back to this one. It's intense it makes me want to cry and to laugh. I know that sounded rather corny but it's true. Maybe it's the fact that I feel like can relate to Charlie. Not on the drug part. But Charlie just wants to be heard. He wants someone to recognize that he isn't just another survivor, that he is someone worth taking the time to look at. He's one of those people who wants someone to know he can do stuff too. He can battle drugs, he can do something right, he can save Jack from a cave-in. He just wants to prove that he has a reason to be one of the main characters before this he was just funny, old Charlie but this episode we really get to know him. We get to know that there is a darker side to Charlie, that there is more under the mask of happiness. That Charlie is really hurting and that he needs help from someone stronger than him like Locke to give him a hand through the trouble. TO help him up during his battle. To be a true friend.
  • A Charlie-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that I absolutely loved this episode, and the main reason that I liked this episode so much is because Charlie is one my most favorite characters on the show. Since I like the character Charlie so much, it was great to have an episode that focused mostly on him and explored his back story. I really liked getting to see what his life was like before everyone was stranded on the island. I really think that Dominic Monaghan plays the role of Charlie so well, and I thought that he gave a really powerful performance in this episode. This episode also made me a big fan of Sawyer. I think that he's such a fascinating character, and I think that Josh Holloway plays him so well. All things considered, I thought that this was a great episode, and I can't wait to continue watching my Lost: season one DVDs.
  • Absolute Perfection!

This has to be by far the best episode of lost to date, hence why i gave it a perfect ten. Mainly because it is simply faultless and has everything you could ever want from an episode. I'm starting to really like Charlie and along with Jack he has to be one of my favourite characters. There is just something so likable about him he manages to mix homour and sadness with being a genuine down to earth man, and is portrayed very well by the actor. Like the other characters i feel that now i have seen his back story i understand more what type of person he is. His struggle with drugs is really gripping and makes you feel genuine concern for him. It is obvious he was dragged into a world he didn't want to be in, and got into drugs by accident. When first you think he's some kind of punk rocker junkey, he turns out to be a very normal and genuine guy, one thing Lost teaches you is to never judge a book by its cover. Locke tries to help him overcome his addiction and the comparison to the moth is very well thought up and beautifully shot. Just the way the whole episode is written is just perfection and for once nearly every character is included in the one episode although there is still a main character that is focused on throughout. The other scenario of course is Jack being trapped in the cave, again Charlie comes into this when he rescues him. It also makes you feel sorry for Charlie as he himslef feels useless, and everyone treats him like a child and the episode is all about his journey and triumph over the drugs and also over his self confidence and beleif in himself. There is a clear love story between Kate and Jack and i look forward to seeing this develop. They too had some sweet moments towards the climax. Of course to add to all this there is a great cliffhanger as Sayid gets knocked out by a mysterious force towards the end. I also can't wait for Boones backstory as he seems an obvios villan and a character to hate but i don't want to judge him as i have done previous characters like Charlie for example. Overall it is a truelly thrilling episode which is extremly well written and filmed and the climax is just perfection. I'm deffinatly well into Lost now and i have to say i'm impressed, if fututure episodes are as good as this, although it will be hard to top it, then it will undiniably be the best show ever made!
  • The reason lost is so great - character development.

This is simply one of the best episodes of Lost. The episode focuses on Charlie and his struggle to break his heroine habit after the crash. You may often hear that Charlie's character is unlikeable and one dimensional. However, "The Moth" dispels those mischaracterizations. We get a glimpse into how Charlie became a rock star, the temptations he faced as he entered the life style and his attempts to turn away from the darker aspects of stardom, specifically drugs. The episode unapologetically shows that Charlie became a lowlife drug user on the verge of becoming a has-been one hit wonder. But, we find out that his fall was hastened by his attempts to help his selfish brother. His episode gives depth and meaning to Charlie's character. Most importantly, the Moth encapsulates Lost's major themes of redemption and hope. If you haven't seen it yet, get the DVD or iTunes episode.
  • Charlie makes a decision.

Charlie makes a run for it when he is being chased by a boar. It turns out that it was all Locke's plan to catch the boar. Jack and the others are settling in at the cave, they tell Charlie that he isn't needed. Feeling hurt, he asks Locke for his drugs back. Locke tells him that after 3 attempts, he will give the drugs back. Sayid organizes a plan to catch the frequency of the transceiver. Kate and Boone are also part of the plan. Jack and Charlie are arguing in the cave and suddenly, it collapses. Charlie escapes, but Jack is stuck. Charlie goes to Locke and asks for the drugs a second time. The others start digging for Jack. Charlie goes to the beach to tell the others. He tells Sawyer to tell Kate about it. Charlie goes back and the others have made a hole. They can hear Jack, but can't get to him. Charlie offers to go. Sawyer catches up with Kate and Sayid. As Sawyer is about to tell her about Jack, she gives him attitude. He decides not to yet. Boone asks Shannon to put off the rocket and turn the radio on. Sayid leaves Kate and Sawyer to do the second rocket. Charlie gets to Jack, but the cave collapses again, closing the hole. The time comes for Sayid's plan to go into action. All goes as planned until someone knocks Sayid out. Charlie gets Jack out of the cave. He asks Locke for his drugs one last time, Locke gives it to him. Charlie throws it into the fire.

This was a great episode! I've noticed that the show was sort of lost its mysteriousness as they are trying to give the characters' backgrounds. Although, I love knowing more about the characters, I'd rather have that mystery back. I love the ending and Charlie making the right choice with the drugs. The flashbacks were okay too! This episode gets a 10 out of 10 from me!
  • This episode is about Charlie.

This episode is about Charlie. This episode is about when the survivors struggle to find and free Jack when he's buried alive in a cave that collapsed. Someone might be secretly thwarting Sayid, Kate, and Boone when they enact a plan to find the source of the French transmission ( French girl ) . My favorite part of this episode is about when Sayid, Kate, and Boone when they enact a plan to find the source of the French transmission . Well there is really nothing else for me to say but I hope you liked this episode very ,very much.
  • great episode

After Locke discovers Charlie's drug habit from the last episode, he tries to help him out with some aggressive persuasion. We're not told why Locke is helping Charlie, but it's a mystery. The survivors of the Oceanic Flight are as mysterious as the island itself. This is a really great show. Jack gets buried inside the cave, everyone else do their best to dig him out. In this episode, we examine Charlie's downward spiral from an almost successful band rocker to a drug addict who happened to board on the fateful flight. It's an interesting journey to be explored. This is one good episode.
  • No plot twists but worth watching. (CONTAINS NO SPOILERS)

My star rating: *** out of ****

This is one of the episodes that I forget about a lot. Not becuase I don't like it but becuase it isn't as eventful as many others. There is much symbolism in the episode and I hope other people enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • One of the best episodes of this series.

Now out of the 14 characters of Lost, not to mention the many extras, their is one star that I think is the coolest. That character is Charlie. I love his back story. And I love the way Locke helps him out with his drug problem. This episode was great. I catch myself singing Driveshaft's hit song: "You all everybody"
  • The Moth makes the Cut

I would have to say this is my favorite episode. In the beggining you see Charlie talking to Locke and Locke Explains to him how theres a moth that is struggling to get out but if he cuts it out it will be to weak to survive(Symbolism) . Of course compairing the moth to Charlie. When flashing back we see that poor Charlie never wanted to be part of the band and that his brother was the whole reason he went into the band in the first place. Threwout the episode Charlie manages to make a cave...cave in and save Jack at the same time. As we go into Charlies flashback we see the Charlies big brother was the whole reason he's addicted to heroin in the first place. Tell me the irony in that. In the end we see that Charlies brother was the one that actually got better more irony. This episodes use of irony and symbolism definatly give it a spot as my all time favorite lost episode.
  • The Charlie Episode

I love how each episode focuses on a different character and what life was like for them before the crash. This was the "Charlie Episode".

He's a very interesting character. I like how he was religious and not into the rockstar image until his brother got drugged out and basically introduced Charlie to drugs. Charlie is one of the best natured characters on the island. He is caring and funny. He just needs to kick that drug habit. I really liked how Locke was helping get over the drug withdrawals.

The cave collapse was another great plot point. Jack has been saving everybody so its not surprising that he would need saving atleast once. Plus, Charlie was able to be a hero of sorts and showed courage when he crawled through the tunnel to get to Jack. It was nice how Jack gave Charlie all the credit for getting him out and how everyone mobbed Charlie. He was so happy and he deserves it.
  • Charlie feels like pople are are bossing him to much.Another great epsode!

Well charlie wants his drugs back ... and i like it that locke is the one whos helping him and locke is very good at it lol =D ! And when jack gets stuck in the caves charlie runs to locke wanting his drugs back but weirdly some how locke knows what else charlie want and tells him about the moth in the cacoon.So when charlie goes rescues jack ... charlie see's the moth.I really thought locke was pychic a that moment but i know he int.I really did enjoy the episode.Charlie centric episode.Also the fabuous acting keeps getting beta n beta!
  • in this episode, charlie's heroine addiction becomes a problem, and locke (being the old wisdom filled man that he is) interveens. He takes charlies heroine in exchange for his guitar. Charlie battles with his addiction throughout the episode and finally

I likes this episode because it shows the true charlie. a fragile, timid, unsure guy, who only wants to be needed, and feel like he is important. I also liked how locke interveened and completely stopped charlie of his habits. The metaphore that locke uses about the moth, and it's struggle to break free from the thick hide of the cacoon, really brought it home for charlie, where as, his struggle, the pain he was feeling with his heroine withdrawl, would all have a meaning in the end, and turn out to something good.
  • Awesome episode..........

This episode really rocked! It was the first we properly see Of Charlie.
    It starts off and we see Charlie at the cave playing his guitar, while suffering from withdrawel.
    Locke asks him to come for a walk.
    Meanwhile Kate catches Jack looking at her mugshot, he asks her to come live in the caves.
    She tells him no, once again. He moves off, and Sawyer comes in with his stuff to move into Jack's old tent.
    In the jungle, Charlie loses Locke and hears animal sounds.He runs away and has a flashback.We see him confess some things in onfession.
    He tells the preist he must leave Driveshaft because it causes him to do bad things.
    He go's out to find his brother Liam, who tells him they have just gotten a recording deal for their band.
    Back in the jungle, Charlie is running from a boar, and suddenly the boar is caught in a net by Locke.
    Charlie was his bait.Charlie is annoyed and demans for his drugs back.
    Locke tells him he will give Charlie the drugs when he ask for them 2 times.
    On the beach, Sayid, Kate and Boone get ready to try and triangulate the French Woman's signal.
    However the pwer is low, and so they are given fireworks to use when they are all in position.
    Kate visits Sawyer who hasbeen taking all kinds of stuff since the crash.
    He gives her a laptop battery. Jack and Hurley arrive at the caves with some suitcases, Charlie wants to help but Jack tells him It's okay.
    Charlie has another flashnback, we see him agree to the record deal only if his brother promises they quit when he says it.
    In the cave, Jin is cleaning his injurd hand and he tells Sun to cover herself up because she looks undescent.
    She stands up for herself and tells him no.When Hurley tells Charlie Jack wants his guitar out of the way Charlie gets mad and races into Jack.
    They are in a cave and Charlie starts to shout.This causes the cave to collapse in.Charlie makes it out but Jack is still trapped inside.
    charlie runs to the beach to get help. Sawyer tells him that he'll get Kate and sayid who were out in the jungle.
    Boone tells Shannon that when Kate and Sayid signal, she needs to signal them and then activate the antenna.
    Charlie has another flashback. We see Driveshaft performing and afterwards, Charlie gives out to Liam for singing the chorus.
    He then watches Liam as he pulls out a bag of heroin out of his pocket.
    Back at the cave, Michael tells everyone where to dig to get Jack out.Sawyer catches up with Kate and Sayid, but she gives him attitude so he decides not to tell her about Jack.
    Instead he makes up an excuse that he came to help out.Charlie go's to Locke and asks him for the drugs, Locke shows him a moth. and its struggle to emerge from its cocoon. If he helps the moth by freeing it, the moth will die due to being too weak, but if it struggles and frees itself, it will be strong.
    Charlie must only ask one more time and Locke will give him the drugs.When a rescue team manges to make a hole they decide to send someone in to get jack.
    Charlie bravely volunteers.As Kate and Sawyer wait for Sayid's signal, Sawyer lets it slip out about Jack. Kate is furious and runs to the caves.
    We see Charlie climbing through the hole and has a flashback.We see him give out to Liam.
    Charlie tells him that hes walking away from the band like he said he would.
    liam tells him the band is all he has and that Charlie's useless without it.
    Liam storms off and Charlie is left looking at the stash of Junk.
    Charlie climbs in further and finds Jack who's shopulder is dislocated.
    He pushes it back into place and has another flashback.He visits Liam in Sydney who is now clean.
    When Liam realizes that Charlie is still using drugs, he offers him to stay at their house and get professional help. Charlie gets angry and then leaves to catch a plane.
    We see back in the cave that Jack knows about Charlie's drug problems.Jack tells him he's not useless.
    He sees a moth and follows it, he see's a litt;le gap of light and starts to dig.
    They brake out of the cave.
    Meanwhile Sayid, Shannon and Sawyer signal to eachother and Sayid turns on the antena only to be knocked over the head.
    That night, Kate makes Jack a sling for his shoulder and Walt asks Michael if they can stay in the caves. Also, Charlie asks Locke for the drugs for a third time. Keeping his word, Locke reluctantly hands them over, but Charlie tosses the drugs into the fire. As Locke tells him that he's proud of him, Charlie sees a moth, free of its cocoon, fly away. j
  • Very complex...

Very touching...

It\'s funny to see so soon how is development of the people on the island....
    I bet, when everyone was beggining watching the series, that Charlie would have problems leaving drugs....
    Besides, you can see the three time Locke challenge to Charlie, its something that easily can be reminded of the Bible... deny it 3 times Big J, but in this time for asking for his fix 3 times Locke would give his stuff back....
    Well that worked out to be one of my favorite episodes of all series...
    At least not with so many unsolved stuff at the end, diffrently fro other ones...

Thanks everyone!
  • Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...

What would we do without the druggie/ex-rocker on Lost? I honestly think it would be much more bland. The same goes for Locke, as he is equally important in this episode. Charlie overcame his drugs, rescued jack, and was boar bait for locke! I'd say thats a lot for one episode!

The great thing about Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) is that you really have no idea what decision he is going with. He is obviously way conflicted with his brother and drugs added to that. Even though this episode just moves the survivor's community story slowly, I still think it was enjoyable for seeing Charlie and how he got into drugs. Since just rewatching it I already have the song stuck in my head...

"You all everybody! You all everybody!"
  • Very Moving.

This was a Charlie centric episode. I thought that it was very moving. It shows Charlie's struggle with withdrawl from his heroin. It shows that one can be strong enough to overcome his weaknesses. I think that Locke made really good comparisons with the boar and the moth. And we can all pretty much say that Charlie is "the moth".

This episode also shows a somewhat good bond between Charlie and Locke. Though Charlie was mad with Locke for most of the episode, in the end Charlie knew what Locke was actually helping him rather than torturing. I also like how Charlie, being the "useless" one, rescues the "hero" Jack in the cave-in.
  • Charlie rocks!

I loved this episode. It was the first time we really get to see Charlie's past. This episode contains my favorite Charlie flashbacks. (Well, besides the ones in Greatest Hits.) I really liked learning about Charlie's life. I think this was the episode that really made me a Charlie fan. (And I still am, even if he's dead.) I liked how Charlie volunteered to go save Jack. That was really touching. And I loved when he asked Locke for his drugs the third time. Then he threw them into the fire. And then we see the moth fly off. I also liked the ending when Sayid got knocked out while trying to send out a signal. That was awesome!
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • Awsome Episode, I think Charlie's Best Episode!

The moth is the first of Charlie's FB episodes. In this Episode Charlie begins to get fed up with everyone treating him like he's useless. He pleads with Locke to give him his drugs back and lockes say he will let him ask 3 times and on the third he'll give them back. Meanwhile Sayid comes up with a plan to find the distress signal. Back at the caves charlie has an argument with jack and the cave collapses on them, charlie got out in time but jack did not as everybody rallies to save the doc charlie goes to locke and asks for the drugs for a second time. When he returns to the caves they have built a little tunnel and charlie volunteers to go in and just as he reaches the doc the cave collapses some more. Meanwhile Sayid goes through with his plan and it works and just as he approaches the signal he is hit in the back of the head by someone. Back in the collapsed cave charlie manages to find himself and jack a way out and is praised by his fellow losties. Later that night charlie asks locke for the third time and as disapointed as john was he stuck by his deal and gave charlie his drugs back, and then Charlie threw them in the fire! (In charlie's FB it shows him as a rock star with his bro but after much effort in trying to end the band his brither in fact get's him addicted.)
  • when charlie asks locke to give him his heroine back, locke gives charlie a choice. jack gets trapped in a cave in and michael helps people to save him.

this episode was written brilliantly. i think charlies flashbacks were good and locke gave another amazing speech. he helped charlie by showing him a moth struggling to get out of its cocoon, and he said he could help it, but it wouldnt survive. my favourite part of this episode was lockes speech and the part where charlie saw the moth and got out the caves. also i liked the part where charlie got his drugs back but threw them in the fire. this was quite a tense episode and was very brilliant. another mystery came up when sayid was knocked out when he trying to find black rock.
  • Great example of why this show is so good.

In this Charlie episode, many grand topics are touch upon, most importantly the struggle one makes to become independant. The metaphor from Locke about the Moth is a great fit on both Charlie's life, but the entire cast of characters on the show.

As the caves become a home to more and more characters, they continue to accept the island as not temporary as the place a small round of golf. This expresses the needed for some down time, and the balance these characters are for each other. Each person has a role, and a little excitement and fun seems to be Hurly. This fits perfect within context since he seems to be the funny guy from the viewer's standpoint.
  • Looks like Charlie's coo-coo for coke

Another fantastic episode with one of the best character of the first season's (charlie) flashback. Throughout the first few episodes you know that charlie is a drug addict, but now it's finally revealed why. Also in this episode it seems Sayid's plan to find the source of the distress call is well underway.

After giving Locke his drug stash for his guitar in the previous episode House of the Rising Sun, Charlie feels he cannot pull through without the drugs on the first day of detoxs, but with the help of Locke, Charlie fight it longer. This episode really reveals how Charlie feels he is nothing to the others, just a useless drug addict. This episode also reveals how Locke (next to Jack) is the most helpful, and wisest person then anyone on the island.

This episode has an amazing plot and character development, almost everyone's personality is put to the test in this episode, ex. Kate and Sawyer, Michael's construction ability, Charlie's drug problem, Sayid's techinical ability, and Locke's wisdom. Definitly Charlie's best flashback so far.

Charlie- I want my bloody drugs back

LOST
  • It was pretty good.

in this episode, charlie's drugs addiction becomes wrost, and locke interveens. He takes charlies heroine in exchange for his guitar. Charlie battles with his addiction throughout the episode and is given 3 chances of asking for it back once he asked a 3rd time he got it back but burned it that was alsome. We also learn Charlie was a church man until his brother got the best of him.
  • Charlie conquers his demons.

Poor Charlie goes through a lot of pain in this episode and in the end he manages to come out on top.

Locke has his stash and he is losing it. He doesn't feel appreciated by the rest of the group and he yells at Jack just before a cave in that leaves Jack trapped.

Charlie's first backstory is quite fascinating to watch. We find out that it was because of his brother Liam that he got hooked on heroin.

Charlie who feels hes got nothing to live for goes in to save Jack and thanks to a moth he finds an unlikely exit.

The key moment comes at the end when Charlie chucks his stash in the fire after Locke gives it to him.
  • Charlie: You don't know me! I'm a bloody rock god!

Charlie is suffering from withdrawal and asks Locke for his heroin and Locke says that he will return the drugs the third time Charlie asks. Charlie later asks Locke for his heroin for the third time and Locke gives it back but Charlie tosses it into the fire. Flashbacks show Charlie and his brother Liam leading their band DriveSHAFT and eventually, Liam gets Charlie hooked on heroin. Years later, Charlie visits Liam's house in Australia and wants him to rejoin DriveSHAFT for their comeback tour but a clean Liam refuses. Most of us adored the character Charlie Pace and in my opinion he was a his peak in early season one, the episode was awesome, really enjoy it every tme I watch it. 9.4 out of 10.
  • Excellent character piece.

In my last review I said that truly good Lost episodes are episodes where the focus is on both character development and mythology. But, I also said there are expectations. Well, this is one.

"The Moth" once again doesn't have any mythology in it, "just" character development. But it's simply astonishing.

Charlie's character worked as a good sidekick, much like Hurley, but this episode the writers proved everyone can be more.. so much more. His drug problem was always interesting, but seemed incredibly cliché. Well, the writers are geniouses! Because this was everything but cliché.

I loved the flashbacks. It just showed how much of a mess he was... along with his brother. But it also showed he's a good and caring man. On the island, he tried to help, but eventually failed, until he got trapped in a cave with Jack. The only thing that's preventing me from giving this a 10 is that I thought the whole cave setting was really fake, and Charlie's sudden rescue was a Disney-moment. But apart from this, this really was a perfect episode.

I LOVED the Charlie/Locke duo. Locke is a father-figure for Charlie, exactly what Charlie needs. Someone who he can rely on.

The ending... incredible. One of the most powerful endings ever. With Charlie realizing there's a way out. Amazing. One of the best performances by Dominic Monaghan to date.
  • Charlie and his past

Charlie has been one of my favorite characters from the beginning of the season. I thought his personality was very funny. Aside from his drug addiction he was / is still one of my favorite characters. I personally liked the fact that Locke is helping Charlie with his problem. I really wasn't into the flashbacks of Charlie and his band but it laid the foundation of his past and how he got caught up in the whole drug problem thing. I thought e cliffhanger at the end was awesome when Sayid gets knocked out. I was definitely curios to find out what happened next.
  • Charlie looks like a moth

This show just can’t fail, whatever it does. It succeeds, if there was a Vincent-centric episode it would still be fantastic.

‘The Moth’ is once again an amazing episode that succeed all around, it had a rock group and drugs in it. Something that show’s like these don’t succeed in, but this episode was a success. Well written, acted and with a tear-full end.

The episode begins with Charlie being chased by a wild pig, but Locke was just using him as bate. Charlie wants his drugs but Locke tells him something, he says that if he asks of the third time that than he will give it to him.

The beautiful thing about this episode was the moth storyline, that it’s stronger than a butterfly and the moth is what saved Charlie and Jack. Also Charlie sees the moth once again after he burns his drugs.

So anyway, after Charlie went in to save Jack in a cave that had collapsed, he asks Locke for the third time for his drugs but instead of using them he throws them into the fire.

Charlie’s flashbacks were also well done. Charlie used to be in a band with his brother Liam, but his brother was careless unlike him and one day he sort of drove Charlie into using drugs and he couldn’t stop after that. The last time he went to his brother he found him clean and he didn’t want to go back leaving Charlie all alone and as a junkie.

The other storyline was also very interesting, Sayid wanted to make the thing work and to do that Shannon had to burn something and she did. Also Sawyer keep bothering Kate but he did the job eventually. Sayid then grabbed the machine and it worked, but someone was there and knocked him out.

All in all, it was just another intense Lost episode with a lot of potential left for the upcoming episodes. Lost, is definitely a show that doesn’t fail.
< 1 2