Lost

The Moth

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 03, 2004 on ABC

• Well, Charlie's the least important person on the island and this episode is probably the least important episode thus far.

5.8
    Basically it comes down to this. I love Dominic Monaghan. I hate Charlie.

Strengths
    -Funny bit with Charlie confessing to the priest.
    -I did love the Drive Shaft performance. "You All Everybody" is a great song.
    -Liam's ladies were great eye candy.
    -Loved the sound when Charlie popped Jack's shoulder back in place.
    -I did like the little twist when Sayid got knocked out by an unknown assailant.

Weaknesses
    -Oh God, I really do not care about Charlie's flashbacks. I love Dominic Monaghan, but the writers have given his character jack squat. I'm convinced they wrote this character just for him so they could have the Lord of the Rings hobbit say "Guys...where are we?" in a hundred million ads before the pilot so people would tune in to see the hobbit. Glad to have gotten that off my chest. :)
    -Stupid scene with the moth, Locke, and Charlie.
    -I felt nothing emotionally as Charlie was welcomed to the wonderful world of heroin for the first time.
    -Oh God, I hated all of that moth crap.

Dumb flashbacks plus an episode where nothing happened equals a bad episode of Lost.
  • Lame Salvation

The seventh episode is all about (not) being rescued. Charlie rescues Jack from a collapsing cave and later on heroically rescues himself from drugs. Kate rescues herself from losing her beloved doc, but fails to rescue the audience from her annoying presence. Meanwhile, no one is to be found to rescue Sayid from being hit in the head with a bat. By a stranger. Just on time when he seemed able to detect the origin of the French transmission. Oh, well. -

OK now, this has to be one of my least favourite episodes of Lost of all time. In fact, Season 3's "Stranger in a Strange Land" is the only one that outmatches this one in dreadfulness. It is a pity actually that this one is so bad because Charlie is a really likable character (at least in Season 1). His flashbacks aren't awful, but kinda unintresting. But the really annoyning stuff happens on the Island. Jack is trapped into a cave and everyone hatsen to rescue him, like he's the President or something. Meanwhile, Charlie's silly storyline involving drugs and salvation continiues, with his final "heroic" act of throwing his heroin stash into the fire consisting a MASSIVE clichi. But more irritating than Jack and Charlie together, is Kate, whose extreme eagerness to save her beloved doc from the brick of death is not only unjustified, hysterical and pointless but also extremely annoyning as well. Plain bad writing. On the bright side, Sayid gets knocked out. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sayid, but I liked that scene because it was the only truly exciting thing that happened in this episode.
  • Charlie centric

6.7
    We get a little deeper into Charlie's life: he was a church fearing boy, and his brother in directly got him hooked on drugs.

Locke whose a fan of DriveShaft, must have heard that the group got hooked on herion, and he somehow figured that Charlie was still getting high....so he helps him.

Overall an average episode.

Charlie based episodes are always boring.
  • A critical metamorphosis for one of the chaeacrers

Since the series began, Charlie has been flitting about somewhat aimlessly, trying to talk to people, hoping to be recognized for the rock god he thinks he is, while slowly going through an enforced detox. Throughout the episode, he looks haggard, with the hood of his shirt making him look like some scraggly hermit, isolated from the rest of the world. There is some appropriateness to this, because, as we see in the first (very amusing) flashback, Charlie was a religious man before he became a rock star. Now we get a sense about what Charlie's life was like, pre-crash. Drive Shaft was founded by him and his older brother. The front man had no talent, got into fights and did a lot of drinking, whoring, and snorting, while the bass player, stayed in the background, tried to hold the band together, and looked after his brother. Unfortunately, in the process, he became addicted to heroin. Worse, his brother got clean, started a family, and was able to let go of the music. Charlie wasn't, and his brother was not able to understand or even sympathize with his fate. Charlie came to Sydney hoping to get the band back together, claiming that his brother owed him. Liam's offers to help his brother out seem half-hearted, perhaps because he doesn't want to get that close to the flame that nearly burned him alive.
    Now, on the island, Charlie's moral crisis is mirrored by a more immediate one. Charlie is still trying to help, probably more to distract himself than anything else, but all he does is get in the way. This leads to him causing a rockslide that traps and pins Jack. Simultaneously, Charlie is begging Locke to give him his stash back. In a very biblical way, Locke tells Charlie that he will return the drugs if he asks for it three times (shades of St. Peter) The second time he asks for it, Locke shows him a cocoon and using the (somewhat labored) metaphor of a moth emerging from it to tell him what he needs to do. This leads to Charlie eventually crawling his way inside an opening in order o rescue Jack. And it is seeing another moth that enables him to save both Jack and himself, bringing him closer to redemption. What Locke's neglects to mention that moths are attracted to flame, and, as we see in the flashback, Charlie has a self-destructive streak in him.
    There's quite a bit going on beside this. As was clear in the last episode, the castaways are divided into those who go to the caves, and those who stay on the beach. Joining Jack, Locke and Charlie are Hurley, Sun and Jin. Remaining on the beach are Sayid, Kate, Sawyer, Walt and Michael, Shannon and Boone, and Claire. (Again, we see very little of her in this episode) Because of the need for water, there will be a lot of traffic, and there will some fluctuation in the episodes to come. Sayed, with the assistance of Kate and Boone, has not given up the hope of rescue. He is now trying to track the Frenchwoman's signal back to its power source, with the use of the transceiver, newly constructed antenna, and bottle rockets. (MacGyver, eat your heart out.) This process is aided and hindered by the ever slimy Sawyer. Sawyer by now has become a scavenger-packrat, controlling all of the supplies he harvested from the fuselage a few days ago. When Syed needs the battery from a laptop computer, Kate has to go to him to get it, and he seems to enjoy making everyone squirm. A triangle is beginning to form between him, Kate and Jack, and because he knows he's always going to be low man on that totem pole, he loves to screw with their heads. This is clear, when Sawyer goes after Kate intending to tell her about what has happened to Jack, but her scorn causes him to hold back. He only tells her when it is at its greatest level of inconvenience for everybody. When the rockets are fired, and the antenna starts to work, someone knocks Syed unconscious, the automatic assumption is that he did it. Considering where he was in relation to Syed, this seems very unlikely, but we think it regardless. However, we're going to learn soon that there are an even greater number of suspects than we'd think.
    Furthermore, even though Jack and Kate have a pretty tense scene in the episode's beside, the minute Sawyer tells her what's befallen Jack, she starts tearing ass back to help him. She does the same at the cave in, even though there's a good chance that she's making it worse for him
    Some of the other characters are starting to come more into focus. Locke is now taking a position as the island disciple. He knows what will happen when he withholds the drug, and he does so anyway, knowing the frenzied state. Furthermore, while everybody on the beach seems to head over to the caves to help get Jack out, Locke shows no interest in leaving the boar he is curing. Why? Does he somehow know that this is the island testing Charlie? Then, why doesn't he show up at anytime to either offer assistance or see how Charlie's doing? Maybe this is another example of his faith.
    Michael now does the first really constructive thing other than watch Walt since he got here, in lending his assistance in construction to find safe passage into the hole, as well as organizing a system to get Jack out. This skill will become critical to the castaways as Season 1 progresses.
    The other characters are very vaguely shaded. Boone seems to be back to trying to help out without helping. He intends to help Kate and Syed, but when he learns of the cave in, he runs off, giving instructions to Shannon (who doesn't seem anymore reliable than she does when they crashes a week ago) to finish his project. He doesn't help a great deal when it comes to freeing Jack. Ultimately, Boone seems rudderless, looking for someone to lead him. His sister doesn't seem much for trustworthy, only half-listening to Boone's instruction, and not exactly being alert when the rockets go up. (Frankly, I'm amazed the thing came off at all. Sun and Jin are trying to settle in, but he still seems to controlling, and far too worked up about how his wife is dressed.
    Though 'The Moth' is an interesting episode, it doesn't reach the same high standards that have been set by the previous six episodes The writers seemed to make Charlie's character a bit weaker than some of the others, especially in the early going. Dominic Monaghan is a fine actor, but Charlie always seems like he's having trouble fitting into his skin. This episode is also less about the mysteries, and more about simple survival, which is compelling but is somewhat less than what we've come to expect. However, bigger and better stories are about to come.
    My score:7.5
  • Charlie's backstory is predictable, but Dominic Monaghan's acting skills at least make it interesting to watch.

7.6
    I don't know about you, but as soon as I knew that Charlie was in a rock band and was on drugs, part of me knew that they were connected. And, indeed, pretty much every conclusion you can jump from that happens in Charlie's flashbacks, which concentrate on the development of his drug problem, and how it subsequently became the reason he boarded the plane in the first place.

Early on, we meet Charlie's brother and bandmate Liam (who, also predictably, turns out to be the source of Charlie's drug problems). The two clearly want to become British rock gods, and set off to do so, but they make a cliche promise to each other: if either of them gets carried away, then the other will step in and stop the band to protect the other. ALSO predictably, this doesn't work.

Meanwhile, on the island, Locke is still holding Charlie's heroin hostage, and we wants it back. Locke, in traditional "Sensei Locke" style, sets up a test for Charlie. He'll give Charlie his drugs if he asks three times. But, along the way, he's gonna make Charlie feel like hell every time he asks. Part of this idea seems brilliant, but the other part seems horribly cruel. Maybe on an island with no rehab center, this would work.

For the first time since Walkabout, the flashbacks, though predictable, add to the island story. In The Moth, Charlie feels like everyone is treating him as though he's useless, and when he goes to yell at Jack about it, the cave they're in collapses on Jack, trapping him. Not So Useless Charlie takes more life lessons from Locke in order to sum up the courage to get in there and rescue him (since apparently everyone else is too tiny to get through the hole Michael, who we learn has a history in construction, has dug inside).

This time, Locke's tactic is to explain to Charlie about, that's right, a moth. He says that moths are trapped in their cocoons for a reason - so they can grow strong enough to escape, and therefore, be strong enough to survive once they get out. This situation relates to Charlie because he believes Charlie will be stronger if he knowingly decides to stop using his drugs, even when he knows he can just ask for them back.

In other island news, Sayid has finally finished his devices that he's been working on ever since Tabula Rasa to try and find the location of the French transmission. This allows for an interesting moment between Sawyer and Kate, who they are obviously pairing together because they work so well together (not neccesarily romantically, just as two characters that play off each other). Sawyer knows about Jack's cave in incident, and decides to refrain from telling Kate, even though he says he will. We don't really know why, but Sawyer's just liek that I guess.

The story with Sayid's devices i8s without a doubt the most interesting of the episode simp0ly because its the only one that takes a step in any real direction on the island. The story with Locke, Jack's cave in and Charlie are important for Charlies future. CHarlie's flashback story is one predictability after another, bu Monaghan's performance makes it watchable. It may be predictable, but the acting and writing made it the perfect kind of predictable. ANd we're back to cliffhanger endings, with Sayid getting knowcked out by an unknown assailant before he can find the radio transmission.

FINAL SCORE: 7.6
    SUMMARY: Predictable flashbacks, but some progress is made in several areas, and we get a good story that stands alone more than fitting into the grand Lost puzzle.
  • A Charlie-centric episode. A little predictable, and not the best, but at least Dominic Monaghan makes it interesting

7.7
    A Charle centric episode. A little predictable, but at least Dominic Monaghan makes it interesting. Charlie's backstory is dark and not at all what I expected. I had no idea he was religious! His big brother Liam, was a bad boy and got him hooked on drugs. An enjoyable if not very thrilling episode, and it shows Charlie's need to be loved. The end is too soppy, with the moth coming out and Charlie seeing it, but it tied everything up. Sawyer delivers another great performance. Why doesn't anyone like him? Kate remains by far the most enigmatic person on the island.
  • "You all Everybody!" Charlie picks up his guitar and strums out the first musical Lost episode.

7.8
    As with the previous episode, The Moth is more about character development than island plot development. I like the character of Charlie, probably because out of all the characters introduced in Season 1 I relate to him the most, as a musician and as a personality. If I was stranded on Lost island with these guys I would also befriend Claire, as does happen. Because I relate to Charlie, I found his flashbacks entertaining.
    The island stuff is adventurous, with the cave collapsing on Jack and Charlie going to save him. Many found the Moth metaphor overdone, and while I felt that past Locke's discovery of the Moth to Charlie, we didn't need to be spoonfed with it more, it was the only logical way that Charlie could find a way out of the cave.
    Sayid continues to try and find the transmission source, so he can broadcast a message himself, but someone, unknown at this time, knocks him unconscious and destroys the equipment. It is not until The Greater Good later this season that we know it was Locke.
    Finally, Lost addresses the fact that the survivors survive the plane crash with barely a few scratches. Sayid brings this up. It is a big question and one which connects to why they are on the island, something that is addressed at the end of the season.
    As for the music, the hit song, You all everybody, is catchy, despite its monotony. It is basically the same lyric over and over again. I guess the writers knew that we wouldn't be hearing a full song performed and so only needed a few lines.
    The Driveshaft performance seen, looks quite authentic. Liam, particularly, looks the ideal lead singer, with his Liam Gallagher like swagger. The intention was to create an Oasis-type band. And that is what comes across.
    Not the most thrilling episode of Season 1, but as a purely character-based episode, it is one of the better ones.
  • charlie is an addict

the first few episodes revealed that charlie had a drug problem, but this episode gives you a little more back story as to how he got hooked. as he begins to go through withdrawl locke tries his best to help him. jack gets caught in a cave in and charlie is the only one small enough to get to him.
  • charlie based episode

i hope all these flashbacks have some purpose to them. Lost is starting to get disappointing with all of these reflections. Good thing there's finally some action when Siyad gets clocked on the back of his head. It's about time they started developing the plot more rather than looking into the people's past to see how they got on the island. I mean, that kind of stuff is all fine and dandy but we really want to see where this whole thing is going. It's looking like more and more people are going to be moving into the cave now as seen by michael and his son.
  • An episode about Charlie

I liked this episode. It had some dramatic action which I enjoyed and some more character development which was interesting to see.

I like Charlie. I thinks he's funny and one of the best characters on the island. I really enjoyed seeing his backstory and it was interesting to see the turn around between he and his brother. Charlie's role in the episode was slighlty inevitable but enjoyable all the same because it gave some nice bonding moments between Charlie and Jack and with Charlie and the rest of the group. I liked the anology of the moth, it really enhanced the story and gave it a nature twist
    Kate's relationship with Jack, I felt is a little bit too forced and I think the relationship is slightly ahead of its self.

A good enjoyable episode overall. Interesting to see the divide between the group developing and it will interesting to see in the next episode who hit Sayid over the head.

More substantial development coming from Lost this week, and we got great development to say the least. I've always been intrigued by the Charlie character and I couldn't wait for the Charlie-centric episode this season, I was quite satisfied with it overall.

We got fantastic interactions between Locke & Charlie, and Locke is easily becoming my favorite character with all of his wisdom and help he gives to the others. This episode also showed how much Kate cares for Jack, and some possible romantic involvement between Kate & Sawyer, a very interesting triangle if you ask me.

I loved how everyone played a part in shooting the rockets in order to get a signal. The cliffhanger was pretty intense with Sayid getting knocked out, but by who? Interested to see what happens in the next installment. Great episode.
  • No puedo

Desde acá arriba la vista es hermosa: los árboles, las casas bajas, las calles diminutas, allá lejos el río. Lo que daría por hacer lo mismo que ese insignificante pajarito que va hacia quién sabe dónde: volar.
    Y recorrer el mundo con mis pequeñas alas, observando la vida pasar desde una altura inalcanzable.
    Pero no...
    No vine a este mundo a volar. No me escapé a la terraza para batir mis alas ad eternum. Estoy acá porque no te puedo dejar. Porque soy tu esclavo y nadie se entera si lo hago acá. Fósforos, encenderte, vos en mis labios, por siempre, hasta que la muerte nos separe.
  • Charlie was a singer...interesting....

This episode follows Charlie and has flashbacks of Charlie's life before the crash. Apparently, he was a bug singer and he's a druggie. Locke helps Charlie stop the habbit while Jack gets trapped in a cave in. The survivors work hard to make a tunnel to get Jack out and then Charlie goes in the tunnel to rescue him. In the end, of course, they both get out alive. Overall, the drug addict story was interesting. Locke got a little annoying, but it was still interesting to see that he knew that Charlie was a drug addict. I didn't really like the preaching Jack did about the caves...boring. Overall, a pretty good episode just because of the character development of Charlie.
  • "You never looked out for me!"

Charlie’s words define his past, and who he is as a person. He feels that he has spent his life looking out for other people, but he never received anything in return. That attitude hasn’t changed on the island. When Jack turns Charlie away, he takes it personally and ultimately traps Jack in a cave-in.

The cave-in itself has always been a point of frustration for me. I always thought that a show as good as Lost is above clichéd plotlines that force a character to do something and grow. The fact that there just happens to be a cave-in, and the person trapped just happens to be the hero, and the hole that is dug just happens to be wide enough to only let Charlie through is just way too convenient in my opinion. The journey that Charlie’s character goes on is important, and I think Dominic Monaghan pulls it off fantastically, but I’ve always thought that how it occurs was just a little bit hokey.

The symbolism of the moth also gets a bit overdone by the end of the episode. I think Terry O’Quinn gives one of his few bad performances when he tells Charlie about the moth in the cocoon (not as bad as Sayid the weatherman or Jack the caves spokesman, but still bad). His use of adjectives is too unrealistic for a person to say in ordinary speech. The lines look fine on paper, but are a nightmare when they’re put on film. Anyway, the moth was fine when Locke pointed out how it resembles Charlie, and having that bug as the thing that rescues Jack and Charlie was tolerable, but the shot of the moth fluttering around by the fire was too much. We get it, the moth represents Charlie!

The flashbacks are good, though. They definitely do a good job of not only introducing us to Charlie as he truly is, but developing his character quite a bit, as well. Liam’s manipulation of his brother is terrible, and worse still is what eventually happens to Charlie as a result of it. Fame goes to Liam’s head (a terrific performance by Neil Hopkins), as well as drugs, and he ultimately pushes Charlie to the same thing that has destroyed him. The last flashback is also very telling about the family. Liam is able to overcome his addiction and treat Drive Shaft as something that he did while he was young and irresponsible, but Charlie has been stuck in the same rut that he’s been in since that first fix. The island allows him his spot of redemption, as it has for everyone else.

The theme of choices is very prevalent in this episode, and it’s natural that Locke is the person that tells Charlie this. Struggle hardens a creature, so it can make smarter choices in the future. While Locke could easily help Charlie and just throw the heroin in the fire, he doesn’t, and forces Charlie to make that choice on his own. The only problem with Charlie’s story and the flashbacks is that they all basically wrap up in this episode. The little mysteries that have appeared in all the other flashbacks are nonexistent here, and when characters start getting double flashbacks, we’ll see how important those mysteries are.

The subplot of this episode, just as it was last time, is much more important to the ongoing island action. Sayid, Kate, and Boone are attempting to triangulate the Frenchwoman’s transmission, again. Boone dashes off to the caves, leaving Shannon in charge, and it’s nice to see that she completes her task perfectly for once. The real juice of this jaunt into the jungle, though, is in the furthering of the relationship between Sawyer and Kate. It’s clear that Kate is totally taken by Jack, yet there is a strange bond between her and Sawyer in all their scenes. Just as the previous episode featured Charlie losing his drugs, this episode spends a fair amount of time probing who Sawyer really is, once again telling the audience who the spotlight will be on next week. The scenes between the two are fun to watch, not only for the litany of nicknames Sawyer spouts off (Muhammad, Saint Jack, etc.), but for the fact that we see Sawyer visibly seize up every time Kate hits close to home. When she says that she pities him, he immediately pops the battery out of the computer, and gives it to her, sending the oh-so-clear message that it’s time to leave. He jerks it out of her hand at first, though, just to try and gain back some power in that situation. When they’re together in the jungle and Kate’s once again getting to the meat of Sawyer’s character, he shifts the conversation and tells Kate that Jack is trapped in the cave-in, knowing she’ll dash off and he won’t have to go further in his past. The Kate-Sawyer interaction in this episode is the best up to this point.

The end of this story also provides an intriguing mystery, when Sayid is knocked unconscious by an unknown assailant. It’s clearly not one of the survivors-by finding the source of the transmission, they can send out their own, so no one would sabotage that chance. Or would they?

The Moth, like House of the Rising Sun, is not a bad episode. There’s some really funny moments, most involving Hurley and Sawyer, and it contains the introduction of Scott and Steve, who not only have similar names (and initials: Scott Jackson and Steve Jenkins-both SJ), but also look incredibly like each other. There are problems with the story though, which really can’t be missed. However, they’re not glaring problems, and they don’t diminish the quality of the episode too much.
  • We discover Charlie´s past life and how he got into such addiction

The whole episode was very good, specially Charlie´s conversation with Locke. Locke had already discovered in last episode Charlie´s addiction to heroin, and now he tries to make him think about the meaning of his actions. Last episode, Locke kept the heroin and now he admits that third time Charlie asks for the drugs ha will give it to him, but John is sure of Charlie´s strenght.

Who was the one that hit Sayid when his plan was taking place? The more I think about it, the more i believe it was the French woman, but we still have to wait a couple of weeks to know that.

Charlie´s flashback is more interesting than what I thought. We see the moment when Charlie starts to use drugs as a result of his brother´s opinions and actions. Liam, as he was called, was able to leave the drugs after some years, but Charlie was not able to such thing, and he hasn´t done it yet. Locke´s advice seem to have helped him to get over his problem, but drug addicts don´t leave their drugs that easily, so maybe we´ll see him again trying to find and use more heroin...
  • Review

There were both things I enjoyed about this episode and the things I didnt. The part of this episode I felt was pretty weak was Charlies flashback story. I wasnt into his story like I have been into Lockes, Kates, Jacks, and Sawyers up to this point. I thought Charlies background story was a little weak and I thought the writing could have been better for that part. On the other hand, I thought the scenes in present time on the beach were great. Charlie and Jack have a surprisingly good conversation when they are both trapped under the rock and I really think there on screen connection helped them grow as characters in this episode. Sayid getting hit over the head when he is trying to find the source for the transmission was interestng. We are unaware if it is one of the survivors or if there may be more to this island then what meets the eye. Charlies drug problem on the island was good in this episode, I just hope they dont overdue it in the episodes to come.
  • Locke: "I think you're a lot stronger than you know, Charlie. And I'm going to prove it to you. I'll let you ask me for your drugs three times. The third time, I'm going to give them to you. Now, just so we're clear, this is one."

Now that Locke has Charlie's drugs, Charlie is going through withdrawl and wants them back. He begins to feel like he's useless, and while he and Jack are in a cave he begins yelling at Jack. Thus, the cave collapses, trapping Jack inside while Charlie manages to escape. With Michael's leadership, a hole is dug so someone can crawl in and help out Jack. Charlie goes in, but the hole collapses, trapping him and Jack inside. However, Charlie notices a moth inside, finds the hole it came in from, and gets himself and Jack out. Later that night, Locke watches as Charlie burns the drugs in the fire.

Through flashbacks, we learn about Charlie's past as a rock god and how he got hooked on heroin, thanks to his brother.

Meanwhile, Kate, Sawyer, and Shannon help Sayid to triangulate the French Woman's radio signal with the use of the transmitter. The transmitter is about to relay where the signal is coming from- and someone hits Sayid with a large stick, knocking him out.

Not one of the best episodes of season 1, but still decent. The only really good part is the storyline involving the radio signal. The whole cave/Charlie/drugs thing isn't all that interesting, unless you're a Charlie fan. And what ever happened to continuity? In this episode, Jack's shoulder is dislocated in the cave-in, so Kate makes him a sling. Next episode, which takes place maybe the next day, his shoulder is perfectly fine.
  • This episode bloody rocked...

Another hugely character based episode, this time it's Charlie's turn, we see him struggle with his drug adiction and we see why he became an addict. The episode has good flashbacks that develop the character, we like him more after seeing this and hate his brother Liam. There was plenty going on in the episode to keep me on the edge of my seat like the cave in, Charlie's struggle and the attempt to get the signal. The cave in is at first a bit over the top but I forget that it would be nearly impossible to dig a tunnel of that length in an hour because its worth it, seeing Charlie save them Jack was great and he redeems himself and prooves that he can do something useful on the island. I always find it funny when Sayid is counting on Boone and Kate when it in fact is Shannon and Sawyer the two most likely people to help out on the island who successfully get the signal working shame it was all for nothing when Sayid is unexpectfully knocked out, who done it? Well it takes a while to find out.
  • Charlie Moment.

Charlie is not a very strong character and his drama is not very interesting. It is difficult to create a great episodes or something special involving problems with drugs.

Not for the writers of Lost. There are some disney moments, however, the flashbacks give the necessary information about charlie, not only about his life, but also about is low self - esteem. That is his main problem. That drugs seems a way to resolve that.

One more time, Locke is helping someone, like he did before.

The events the inland, about jack, could be a filler, however, it was very important, for charlie development. The Final Scene was beautiful.

It is interesting how the writers add more and more mystery, in a long list of mysteries. The interaction between kate and sawyer was interesting, and should prepare us for the next episode were sawyer will be focused.
  • interesting episode

i really liked this episode. it was interesting to find out more about the former life of charlie. he started off quite annoying, fitting perfectly the stereotype of a selfish, self-centered drug addict. the flashback shows another charlie, really caring for his brother, willing to give up his career in order to keep his decency.

after jack has been burried in the cave, the other "losties" are finally forced to make some common effort to save him and michael at last gets a chance to prove his skills. seeing kate rush to rescue makes you feel that maybe her feelings for jack are deeper than she has admited up till now.

my favourite scenes however were those between jack and charlie in the cave after charlie has crawled through the hole. when jack asks him how long it has been since his last fix and tells him that he could have helped him to get clean, there's no condemnation in this. but i liked best when he tells charlie that he doesn't consider him to be useless (as charlie suggests) because he had the guts to get back into the crashed cave to try to save him.
  • Charlie's character is explored.

This episode was good. It wasn't classic, but good. It was nice to see Charlie in the limelight again. His character is a rather likeable one.

The flashbacks are okay, but only surprising only if you know nothing about musicians. What makes them entersting is they explain what makes Charlie tick. A lot of his behavior would be confusing without them, even though we know it's because of drug withdrawl. For instance when Charlie was shouting at Jack " You look out for me, Ilook out for you!" (or something like that) he was really reliving an argument with his brother. The brother, even when he got cleaned up seemed oblivious to the effect he had on Charlie's life.

The Island story was good as well. The scenes with Locke and Charlie were good, and Saiyd trying to find the source of the transmission ended in a nice little mystery. What I like about the show is that the answers don't come right away. Who hit Saiyd? The answer comes much later and is surprising, at least at this point in the show.

One complaint I have about this episode is the conclusion. I felt it was a little too easy and cliched to have Chrlie ready to get off drugs over one incident where he felt needed. I personally felt it was a little too wel, easy.

Overall, however I liked this episode and felt like it was one that worked.

Only
  • An episode focused on Charlie.

A really good episode dealing with Charlie. In this episode, the flashbacks don't really tell us too much that we don't already know. We know that Charlie was a rock star, and we know that he is addicted to drugs. However, it does show how he got into those drugs, which is really interesting to see.

We also get to see him on the island, trying to figure out his role, and trying to deal with his withdrawls. This was also a really nice addition to the episode, and added a lot to his character.

Also, we get even more moments with John Locke trying to help Charlie with his drug addiction. These moments were great, and added a lot to both Charlie and Locke.
  • Really great episode! I enjoyed finding out more about Charlie.

While Jack and Charlie are talking together in the caves there is a cave-in. Charlie somehow gets out before he is trapped. Many people come to help rescue Jack. When Sawyer finally tells Kate about the accident you can tell how much she cares about him because she rushes back to the caves to see how he is doing. Michael is of some use in this situation. He uses his past experience in construction to make sure they approach the situation correctly. They end up getting a hole but there is nobody who can fit in it. Charlie is the only one skinny enough to fit in the hole so goes in to rescue Jack. As he gets to were Jack is trapped there is another cave-in. They sit there and talk, this is when Jack says something about Charlie’s addiction. Charlie finds a hole were the two escaped from. I think that this was good for Charlie. It made him feel good about doing something productive for the wellbeing of the people on the island.

While all of this was going on Sayid was trying to be productive as well. Sayid is trying to triangulate the French woman’s signal in hopes of finding its source. He had a really good plan too. Right as he is about to get the signal he is hit in the head by someone who we cannot see. Why would someone do this? I am sure that Sayid is going to blame Sawyer, but there is no way at least I do not believe so. I also thought that it was very interesting that the two other people that Sayid had gotten to help him carry out his plan ended up leaving their job up to other people who have not really done that much to help anyone but themselves (Shannon and Sawyer).

I don’t normally like the flashbacks. I think that they take away from the excitement on the island, but I thought Charlie’s was good. He was on the path to a good life before his brother convinced him to go back to the rock and roll lifestyle. His brother was also the one to get him hooked on heroin. I am glad Locke is helping Charlie kick his habit. There at the end I thought that he going to go back to his bad habits but when he threw the drugs in the fire it made me really proud of him. Locke was right, he might as well get rid of them sooner rather than later. When he did run out it isn’t like he can get any more. All of the people on the island have something in common. They all had something that was bothering them before they got onto the island. Locke truly believes that he is there for a reason and that the island will tell him what to do. I can’t wait to find out what he gets into next.
  • "You all everybody"

this episode of lost sees charlie struggle to with his herion addiction after he gave locke his stash in the previous episode.
    Charlie asks for it back but locke tells him he would give the herion to him after he ascks three times.charlie takes it out on jack in the caves but the caves cave in and trap jack inside.
    meanwhile sayid, kate and boone try to triangulate the French transmission but after charlie tells the rest of the survivours whats happened to jack boone and kate go to the caves.sawyer and shannon take over there jobs and succefully
    triangulate signal but the plan is ruined after sayid is knocked out and the equipment is wrecked by someone.
    charlie goes through a tunnel built by the survivours to rescue jack and he does thanks to a moth that leads him and jack out of the cave.charlie gets his herion back after asking three times but he throws it in a fire.
    I think this episode is a good episode and has great character development for charlie and is a fine example of Lost.
  • Strongest episode since Walkabout.

The Moth is a really tricky episode for a few reasons. First of all, Charlie\'s drug addiction gets explained, and even though it\'s a bit funny to see Charlie all rock-star\'d out, this episode packs some serious punch.

Locke\'s role in this show is pivotal up to this point. He hunts, he guides Jack on a spiritual Journey, and he helps Charlie now. This isn\'t nearly the end of his capability, but you begin to understand that there\'s something especially important about Locke at this point.

The metaphors that the writers hook into the storyline keep things fresh, and the imagery used throughout the episode keep things even more poignant.

Even though Charlie is a bit goofy, which actually becomes part of the fun of the show, this episode absolutely expresses of some extremely deep thoughts, and we learn a bit more about everyone along the way. Aside from Walkabout, my favorite episode thus far.
  • This episode was exciting and very suspenseful all the way through!

This episode would definitely have to be one of my favorites!
    On the previous episode Charlie handed his drug stash to Locke and received his guitar for doing so but now he wanted his drugs back and Locke told him that he'd let him ask for them 3 times then he'd give them to him. Also on this episode Sayid, Boone and Kate were going to triangulate the French woman's broadcast where he almost found rescue but then he was hit on the head by a stick and knocked unconscious! Damn it! Who did it and Why???
    The flashbacks about Charlie were awesome and how he had to avoid temptations with his brother and then he started using Drugs, it was sad but interesting! Half way through the episode Charlie yelled at Jack and then Jack got trapped in a cave-in. When Sawyer tried to tell Kate about what had happened she didn't want to hear anything from him because she was angry but eventually she found out. At the end they finally rescued him and then Charlie asked Locke for his drugs for the third time so Locke gave them to him and then he flicked it into the fire! Great choice he made!
    Overall a wonderful episode that I'll never forget!
  • Charlie Character Development

This episode contained Charlie's flashbacks of how he got addicted to drugs, how his band got started, and why he wasn't still with them. Jack got trapped in a cave by rocks so the whole camp went to help him. Sayid, Boone, and Kate were trying to triangulate the signal that the french woman was on. Locke had Charlie's drugs and tol him that if he asked him for them three times he would give them back. Charlie is able to overcome his addiction and saves Jack while Sayid is ambushed by an unknown person and they cannot find the French Woman
  • It really shows how hard life can be sometimes dunnit.

Once again the team of lost have carried on the storyline developing into their selected characters background. But what an experience for Charlie with Locke. How did Locke know about the guitar being in the tree? When Charlie finally got the drugs back i thought he was gonna go made on the stuff. But he proved me wrong by throwing it on the fire. If it was that easy to give up drugs in real life then who knows what we could all do! I want to find out more about the character Charlie since he has been through a lot probably the most out of all the people on the island in my opinion...
  • One of My Top 2 for Season 1

One of the strongest episodes in season one, The Moth had a solid sense of ensemble while not diluting the key storylines. Drug use and withdrawal have been done so many times, that it presents a particular challenge - how to make it fresh and compelling. Very good dialogue (which is often this series\' weak point), and particularly effective \"pairings\"; i.e., advancing the relationship between two characters. High marks for the writers on this one.
  • Charlie: You don't know me! I'm a bloody rock god!

Charlie is suffering from withdrawal and asks Locke for his heroin and Locke says that he will return the drugs the third time Charlie asks. Charlie later asks Locke for his heroin for the third time and Locke gives it back but Charlie tosses it into the fire. Flashbacks show Charlie and his brother Liam leading their band DriveSHAFT and eventually, Liam gets Charlie hooked on heroin. Years later, Charlie visits Liam's house in Australia and wants him to rejoin DriveSHAFT for their comeback tour but a clean Liam refuses. Most of us adored the character Charlie Pace and in my opinion he was a his peak in early season one, the episode was awesome, really enjoy it every tme I watch it. 9.4 out of 10.
< 1 2