Lost

The Moth

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 03, 2004 on ABC

• Charlie's backstory is predictable, but Dominic Monaghan's acting skills at least make it interesting to watch.

7.6
    I don't know about you, but as soon as I knew that Charlie was in a rock band and was on drugs, part of me knew that they were connected. And, indeed, pretty much every conclusion you can jump from that happens in Charlie's flashbacks, which concentrate on the development of his drug problem, and how it subsequently became the reason he boarded the plane in the first place.

Early on, we meet Charlie's brother and bandmate Liam (who, also predictably, turns out to be the source of Charlie's drug problems). The two clearly want to become British rock gods, and set off to do so, but they make a cliche promise to each other: if either of them gets carried away, then the other will step in and stop the band to protect the other. ALSO predictably, this doesn't work.

Meanwhile, on the island, Locke is still holding Charlie's heroin hostage, and we wants it back. Locke, in traditional "Sensei Locke" style, sets up a test for Charlie. He'll give Charlie his drugs if he asks three times. But, along the way, he's gonna make Charlie feel like hell every time he asks. Part of this idea seems brilliant, but the other part seems horribly cruel. Maybe on an island with no rehab center, this would work.

For the first time since Walkabout, the flashbacks, though predictable, add to the island story. In The Moth, Charlie feels like everyone is treating him as though he's useless, and when he goes to yell at Jack about it, the cave they're in collapses on Jack, trapping him. Not So Useless Charlie takes more life lessons from Locke in order to sum up the courage to get in there and rescue him (since apparently everyone else is too tiny to get through the hole Michael, who we learn has a history in construction, has dug inside).

This time, Locke's tactic is to explain to Charlie about, that's right, a moth. He says that moths are trapped in their cocoons for a reason - so they can grow strong enough to escape, and therefore, be strong enough to survive once they get out. This situation relates to Charlie because he believes Charlie will be stronger if he knowingly decides to stop using his drugs, even when he knows he can just ask for them back.

In other island news, Sayid has finally finished his devices that he's been working on ever since Tabula Rasa to try and find the location of the French transmission. This allows for an interesting moment between Sawyer and Kate, who they are obviously pairing together because they work so well together (not neccesarily romantically, just as two characters that play off each other). Sawyer knows about Jack's cave in incident, and decides to refrain from telling Kate, even though he says he will. We don't really know why, but Sawyer's just liek that I guess.

The story with Sayid's devices i8s without a doubt the most interesting of the episode simp0ly because its the only one that takes a step in any real direction on the island. The story with Locke, Jack's cave in and Charlie are important for Charlies future. CHarlie's flashback story is one predictability after another, bu Monaghan's performance makes it watchable. It may be predictable, but the acting and writing made it the perfect kind of predictable. ANd we're back to cliffhanger endings, with Sayid getting knowcked out by an unknown assailant before he can find the radio transmission.

FINAL SCORE: 7.6
    SUMMARY: Predictable flashbacks, but some progress is made in several areas, and we get a good story that stands alone more than fitting into the grand Lost puzzle.
  • Strongest episode since Walkabout.

The Moth is a really tricky episode for a few reasons. First of all, Charlie\'s drug addiction gets explained, and even though it\'s a bit funny to see Charlie all rock-star\'d out, this episode packs some serious punch.

Locke\'s role in this show is pivotal up to this point. He hunts, he guides Jack on a spiritual Journey, and he helps Charlie now. This isn\'t nearly the end of his capability, but you begin to understand that there\'s something especially important about Locke at this point.

The metaphors that the writers hook into the storyline keep things fresh, and the imagery used throughout the episode keep things even more poignant.

Even though Charlie is a bit goofy, which actually becomes part of the fun of the show, this episode absolutely expresses of some extremely deep thoughts, and we learn a bit more about everyone along the way. Aside from Walkabout, my favorite episode thus far.
  • The Charlie Episode

I love how each episode focuses on a different character and what life was like for them before the crash. This was the "Charlie Episode".

He's a very interesting character. I like how he was religious and not into the rockstar image until his brother got drugged out and basically introduced Charlie to drugs. Charlie is one of the best natured characters on the island. He is caring and funny. He just needs to kick that drug habit. I really liked how Locke was helping get over the drug withdrawals.

The cave collapse was another great plot point. Jack has been saving everybody so its not surprising that he would need saving atleast once. Plus, Charlie was able to be a hero of sorts and showed courage when he crawled through the tunnel to get to Jack. It was nice how Jack gave Charlie all the credit for getting him out and how everyone mobbed Charlie. He was so happy and he deserves it.
  • Charlie's character is explored.

This episode was good. It wasn't classic, but good. It was nice to see Charlie in the limelight again. His character is a rather likeable one.

The flashbacks are okay, but only surprising only if you know nothing about musicians. What makes them entersting is they explain what makes Charlie tick. A lot of his behavior would be confusing without them, even though we know it's because of drug withdrawl. For instance when Charlie was shouting at Jack " You look out for me, Ilook out for you!" (or something like that) he was really reliving an argument with his brother. The brother, even when he got cleaned up seemed oblivious to the effect he had on Charlie's life.

The Island story was good as well. The scenes with Locke and Charlie were good, and Saiyd trying to find the source of the transmission ended in a nice little mystery. What I like about the show is that the answers don't come right away. Who hit Saiyd? The answer comes much later and is surprising, at least at this point in the show.

One complaint I have about this episode is the conclusion. I felt it was a little too easy and cliched to have Chrlie ready to get off drugs over one incident where he felt needed. I personally felt it was a little too wel, easy.

Overall, however I liked this episode and felt like it was one that worked.

Only
  • An episode about Charlie

I liked this episode. It had some dramatic action which I enjoyed and some more character development which was interesting to see.

I like Charlie. I thinks he's funny and one of the best characters on the island. I really enjoyed seeing his backstory and it was interesting to see the turn around between he and his brother. Charlie's role in the episode was slighlty inevitable but enjoyable all the same because it gave some nice bonding moments between Charlie and Jack and with Charlie and the rest of the group. I liked the anology of the moth, it really enhanced the story and gave it a nature twist
    Kate's relationship with Jack, I felt is a little bit too forced and I think the relationship is slightly ahead of its self.

A good enjoyable episode overall. Interesting to see the divide between the group developing and it will interesting to see in the next episode who hit Sayid over the head.
  • A Charlie-centric episode. A little predictable, and not the best, but at least Dominic Monaghan makes it interesting

7.7
    A Charle centric episode. A little predictable, but at least Dominic Monaghan makes it interesting. Charlie's backstory is dark and not at all what I expected. I had no idea he was religious! His big brother Liam, was a bad boy and got him hooked on drugs. An enjoyable if not very thrilling episode, and it shows Charlie's need to be loved. The end is too soppy, with the moth coming out and Charlie seeing it, but it tied everything up. Sawyer delivers another great performance. Why doesn't anyone like him? Kate remains by far the most enigmatic person on the island.
  • One of My Top 2 for Season 1

One of the strongest episodes in season one, The Moth had a solid sense of ensemble while not diluting the key storylines. Drug use and withdrawal have been done so many times, that it presents a particular challenge - how to make it fresh and compelling. Very good dialogue (which is often this series\' weak point), and particularly effective \"pairings\"; i.e., advancing the relationship between two characters. High marks for the writers on this one.
  • The Moth makes the Cut

I would have to say this is my favorite episode. In the beggining you see Charlie talking to Locke and Locke Explains to him how theres a moth that is struggling to get out but if he cuts it out it will be to weak to survive(Symbolism) . Of course compairing the moth to Charlie. When flashing back we see that poor Charlie never wanted to be part of the band and that his brother was the whole reason he went into the band in the first place. Threwout the episode Charlie manages to make a cave...cave in and save Jack at the same time. As we go into Charlies flashback we see the Charlies big brother was the whole reason he's addicted to heroin in the first place. Tell me the irony in that. In the end we see that Charlies brother was the one that actually got better more irony. This episodes use of irony and symbolism definatly give it a spot as my all time favorite lost episode.
  • Well, Charlie's the least important person on the island and this episode is probably the least important episode thus far.

5.8
    Basically it comes down to this. I love Dominic Monaghan. I hate Charlie.

Strengths
    -Funny bit with Charlie confessing to the priest.
    -I did love the Drive Shaft performance. "You All Everybody" is a great song.
    -Liam's ladies were great eye candy.
    -Loved the sound when Charlie popped Jack's shoulder back in place.
    -I did like the little twist when Sayid got knocked out by an unknown assailant.

Weaknesses
    -Oh God, I really do not care about Charlie's flashbacks. I love Dominic Monaghan, but the writers have given his character jack squat. I'm convinced they wrote this character just for him so they could have the Lord of the Rings hobbit say "Guys...where are we?" in a hundred million ads before the pilot so people would tune in to see the hobbit. Glad to have gotten that off my chest. :)
    -Stupid scene with the moth, Locke, and Charlie.
    -I felt nothing emotionally as Charlie was welcomed to the wonderful world of heroin for the first time.
    -Oh God, I hated all of that moth crap.

Dumb flashbacks plus an episode where nothing happened equals a bad episode of Lost.
  • One of the best episodes of this series.

Now out of the 14 characters of Lost, not to mention the many extras, their is one star that I think is the coolest. That character is Charlie. I love his back story. And I love the way Locke helps him out with his drug problem. This episode was great. I catch myself singing Driveshaft's hit song: "You all everybody"
  • It really shows how hard life can be sometimes dunnit.

Once again the team of lost have carried on the storyline developing into their selected characters background. But what an experience for Charlie with Locke. How did Locke know about the guitar being in the tree? When Charlie finally got the drugs back i thought he was gonna go made on the stuff. But he proved me wrong by throwing it on the fire. If it was that easy to give up drugs in real life then who knows what we could all do! I want to find out more about the character Charlie since he has been through a lot probably the most out of all the people on the island in my opinion...
  • in this episode, charlie's heroine addiction becomes a problem, and locke (being the old wisdom filled man that he is) interveens. He takes charlies heroine in exchange for his guitar. Charlie battles with his addiction throughout the episode and finally

I likes this episode because it shows the true charlie. a fragile, timid, unsure guy, who only wants to be needed, and feel like he is important. I also liked how locke interveened and completely stopped charlie of his habits. The metaphore that locke uses about the moth, and it's struggle to break free from the thick hide of the cacoon, really brought it home for charlie, where as, his struggle, the pain he was feeling with his heroine withdrawl, would all have a meaning in the end, and turn out to something good.
  • Charlie centric

6.7
    We get a little deeper into Charlie's life: he was a church fearing boy, and his brother in directly got him hooked on drugs.

Locke whose a fan of DriveShaft, must have heard that the group got hooked on herion, and he somehow figured that Charlie was still getting high....so he helps him.

Overall an average episode.

Charlie based episodes are always boring.
  • Charlie conquers his demons.

Poor Charlie goes through a lot of pain in this episode and in the end he manages to come out on top.

Locke has his stash and he is losing it. He doesn't feel appreciated by the rest of the group and he yells at Jack just before a cave in that leaves Jack trapped.

Charlie's first backstory is quite fascinating to watch. We find out that it was because of his brother Liam that he got hooked on heroin.

Charlie who feels hes got nothing to live for goes in to save Jack and thanks to a moth he finds an unlikely exit.

The key moment comes at the end when Charlie chucks his stash in the fire after Locke gives it to him.
  • It was pretty good.

in this episode, charlie's drugs addiction becomes wrost, and locke interveens. He takes charlies heroine in exchange for his guitar. Charlie battles with his addiction throughout the episode and is given 3 chances of asking for it back once he asked a 3rd time he got it back but burned it that was alsome. We also learn Charlie was a church man until his brother got the best of him.
  • charlie based episode

i hope all these flashbacks have some purpose to them. Lost is starting to get disappointing with all of these reflections. Good thing there's finally some action when Siyad gets clocked on the back of his head. It's about time they started developing the plot more rather than looking into the people's past to see how they got on the island. I mean, that kind of stuff is all fine and dandy but we really want to see where this whole thing is going. It's looking like more and more people are going to be moving into the cave now as seen by michael and his son.
  • Charlie looks like a moth

This show just can’t fail, whatever it does. It succeeds, if there was a Vincent-centric episode it would still be fantastic.

‘The Moth’ is once again an amazing episode that succeed all around, it had a rock group and drugs in it. Something that show’s like these don’t succeed in, but this episode was a success. Well written, acted and with a tear-full end.

The episode begins with Charlie being chased by a wild pig, but Locke was just using him as bate. Charlie wants his drugs but Locke tells him something, he says that if he asks of the third time that than he will give it to him.

The beautiful thing about this episode was the moth storyline, that it’s stronger than a butterfly and the moth is what saved Charlie and Jack. Also Charlie sees the moth once again after he burns his drugs.

So anyway, after Charlie went in to save Jack in a cave that had collapsed, he asks Locke for the third time for his drugs but instead of using them he throws them into the fire.

Charlie’s flashbacks were also well done. Charlie used to be in a band with his brother Liam, but his brother was careless unlike him and one day he sort of drove Charlie into using drugs and he couldn’t stop after that. The last time he went to his brother he found him clean and he didn’t want to go back leaving Charlie all alone and as a junkie.

The other storyline was also very interesting, Sayid wanted to make the thing work and to do that Shannon had to burn something and she did. Also Sawyer keep bothering Kate but he did the job eventually. Sayid then grabbed the machine and it worked, but someone was there and knocked him out.

All in all, it was just another intense Lost episode with a lot of potential left for the upcoming episodes. Lost, is definitely a show that doesn’t fail.
  • interesting episode

i really liked this episode. it was interesting to find out more about the former life of charlie. he started off quite annoying, fitting perfectly the stereotype of a selfish, self-centered drug addict. the flashback shows another charlie, really caring for his brother, willing to give up his career in order to keep his decency.

after jack has been burried in the cave, the other "losties" are finally forced to make some common effort to save him and michael at last gets a chance to prove his skills. seeing kate rush to rescue makes you feel that maybe her feelings for jack are deeper than she has admited up till now.

my favourite scenes however were those between jack and charlie in the cave after charlie has crawled through the hole. when jack asks him how long it has been since his last fix and tells him that he could have helped him to get clean, there's no condemnation in this. but i liked best when he tells charlie that he doesn't consider him to be useless (as charlie suggests) because he had the guts to get back into the crashed cave to try to save him.
  • Really great episode! I enjoyed finding out more about Charlie.

While Jack and Charlie are talking together in the caves there is a cave-in. Charlie somehow gets out before he is trapped. Many people come to help rescue Jack. When Sawyer finally tells Kate about the accident you can tell how much she cares about him because she rushes back to the caves to see how he is doing. Michael is of some use in this situation. He uses his past experience in construction to make sure they approach the situation correctly. They end up getting a hole but there is nobody who can fit in it. Charlie is the only one skinny enough to fit in the hole so goes in to rescue Jack. As he gets to were Jack is trapped there is another cave-in. They sit there and talk, this is when Jack says something about Charlie’s addiction. Charlie finds a hole were the two escaped from. I think that this was good for Charlie. It made him feel good about doing something productive for the wellbeing of the people on the island.

While all of this was going on Sayid was trying to be productive as well. Sayid is trying to triangulate the French woman’s signal in hopes of finding its source. He had a really good plan too. Right as he is about to get the signal he is hit in the head by someone who we cannot see. Why would someone do this? I am sure that Sayid is going to blame Sawyer, but there is no way at least I do not believe so. I also thought that it was very interesting that the two other people that Sayid had gotten to help him carry out his plan ended up leaving their job up to other people who have not really done that much to help anyone but themselves (Shannon and Sawyer).

I don’t normally like the flashbacks. I think that they take away from the excitement on the island, but I thought Charlie’s was good. He was on the path to a good life before his brother convinced him to go back to the rock and roll lifestyle. His brother was also the one to get him hooked on heroin. I am glad Locke is helping Charlie kick his habit. There at the end I thought that he going to go back to his bad habits but when he threw the drugs in the fire it made me really proud of him. Locke was right, he might as well get rid of them sooner rather than later. When he did run out it isn’t like he can get any more. All of the people on the island have something in common. They all had something that was bothering them before they got onto the island. Locke truly believes that he is there for a reason and that the island will tell him what to do. I can’t wait to find out what he gets into next.
  • Very complex...

Very touching...

It\'s funny to see so soon how is development of the people on the island....
    I bet, when everyone was beggining watching the series, that Charlie would have problems leaving drugs....
    Besides, you can see the three time Locke challenge to Charlie, its something that easily can be reminded of the Bible... deny it 3 times Big J, but in this time for asking for his fix 3 times Locke would give his stuff back....
    Well that worked out to be one of my favorite episodes of all series...
    At least not with so many unsolved stuff at the end, diffrently fro other ones...

Thanks everyone!
  • Locke: "I think you're a lot stronger than you know, Charlie. And I'm going to prove it to you. I'll let you ask me for your drugs three times. The third time, I'm going to give them to you. Now, just so we're clear, this is one."

Now that Locke has Charlie's drugs, Charlie is going through withdrawl and wants them back. He begins to feel like he's useless, and while he and Jack are in a cave he begins yelling at Jack. Thus, the cave collapses, trapping Jack inside while Charlie manages to escape. With Michael's leadership, a hole is dug so someone can crawl in and help out Jack. Charlie goes in, but the hole collapses, trapping him and Jack inside. However, Charlie notices a moth inside, finds the hole it came in from, and gets himself and Jack out. Later that night, Locke watches as Charlie burns the drugs in the fire.

Through flashbacks, we learn about Charlie's past as a rock god and how he got hooked on heroin, thanks to his brother.

Meanwhile, Kate, Sawyer, and Shannon help Sayid to triangulate the French Woman's radio signal with the use of the transmitter. The transmitter is about to relay where the signal is coming from- and someone hits Sayid with a large stick, knocking him out.

Not one of the best episodes of season 1, but still decent. The only really good part is the storyline involving the radio signal. The whole cave/Charlie/drugs thing isn't all that interesting, unless you're a Charlie fan. And what ever happened to continuity? In this episode, Jack's shoulder is dislocated in the cave-in, so Kate makes him a sling. Next episode, which takes place maybe the next day, his shoulder is perfectly fine.
  • charlie is an addict

the first few episodes revealed that charlie had a drug problem, but this episode gives you a little more back story as to how he got hooked. as he begins to go through withdrawl locke tries his best to help him. jack gets caught in a cave in and charlie is the only one small enough to get to him.
  • Looks like Charlie's coo-coo for coke

Another fantastic episode with one of the best character of the first season's (charlie) flashback. Throughout the first few episodes you know that charlie is a drug addict, but now it's finally revealed why. Also in this episode it seems Sayid's plan to find the source of the distress call is well underway.

After giving Locke his drug stash for his guitar in the previous episode House of the Rising Sun, Charlie feels he cannot pull through without the drugs on the first day of detoxs, but with the help of Locke, Charlie fight it longer. This episode really reveals how Charlie feels he is nothing to the others, just a useless drug addict. This episode also reveals how Locke (next to Jack) is the most helpful, and wisest person then anyone on the island.

This episode has an amazing plot and character development, almost everyone's personality is put to the test in this episode, ex. Kate and Sawyer, Michael's construction ability, Charlie's drug problem, Sayid's techinical ability, and Locke's wisdom. Definitly Charlie's best flashback so far.

Charlie- I want my bloody drugs back

LOST
  • Great example of why this show is so good.

In this Charlie episode, many grand topics are touch upon, most importantly the struggle one makes to become independant. The metaphor from Locke about the Moth is a great fit on both Charlie's life, but the entire cast of characters on the show.

As the caves become a home to more and more characters, they continue to accept the island as not temporary as the place a small round of golf. This expresses the needed for some down time, and the balance these characters are for each other. Each person has a role, and a little excitement and fun seems to be Hurly. This fits perfect within context since he seems to be the funny guy from the viewer's standpoint.
  • No plot twists but worth watching. (CONTAINS NO SPOILERS)

My star rating: *** out of ****

This is one of the episodes that I forget about a lot. Not becuase I don't like it but becuase it isn't as eventful as many others. There is much symbolism in the episode and I hope other people enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • when charlie asks locke to give him his heroine back, locke gives charlie a choice. jack gets trapped in a cave in and michael helps people to save him.

this episode was written brilliantly. i think charlies flashbacks were good and locke gave another amazing speech. he helped charlie by showing him a moth struggling to get out of its cocoon, and he said he could help it, but it wouldnt survive. my favourite part of this episode was lockes speech and the part where charlie saw the moth and got out the caves. also i liked the part where charlie got his drugs back but threw them in the fire. this was quite a tense episode and was very brilliant. another mystery came up when sayid was knocked out when he trying to find black rock.
  • Charlie Character Development

This episode contained Charlie's flashbacks of how he got addicted to drugs, how his band got started, and why he wasn't still with them. Jack got trapped in a cave by rocks so the whole camp went to help him. Sayid, Boone, and Kate were trying to triangulate the signal that the french woman was on. Locke had Charlie's drugs and tol him that if he asked him for them three times he would give them back. Charlie is able to overcome his addiction and saves Jack while Sayid is ambushed by an unknown person and they cannot find the French Woman
  • We discover Charlie´s past life and how he got into such addiction

The whole episode was very good, specially Charlie´s conversation with Locke. Locke had already discovered in last episode Charlie´s addiction to heroin, and now he tries to make him think about the meaning of his actions. Last episode, Locke kept the heroin and now he admits that third time Charlie asks for the drugs ha will give it to him, but John is sure of Charlie´s strenght.

Who was the one that hit Sayid when his plan was taking place? The more I think about it, the more i believe it was the French woman, but we still have to wait a couple of weeks to know that.

Charlie´s flashback is more interesting than what I thought. We see the moment when Charlie starts to use drugs as a result of his brother´s opinions and actions. Liam, as he was called, was able to leave the drugs after some years, but Charlie was not able to such thing, and he hasn´t done it yet. Locke´s advice seem to have helped him to get over his problem, but drug addicts don´t leave their drugs that easily, so maybe we´ll see him again trying to find and use more heroin...
  • Charlie feels like pople are are bossing him to much.Another great epsode!

Well charlie wants his drugs back ... and i like it that locke is the one whos helping him and locke is very good at it lol =D ! And when jack gets stuck in the caves charlie runs to locke wanting his drugs back but weirdly some how locke knows what else charlie want and tells him about the moth in the cacoon.So when charlie goes rescues jack ... charlie see's the moth.I really thought locke was pychic a that moment but i know he int.I really did enjoy the episode.Charlie centric episode.Also the fabuous acting keeps getting beta n beta!
  • great episode

After Locke discovers Charlie's drug habit from the last episode, he tries to help him out with some aggressive persuasion. We're not told why Locke is helping Charlie, but it's a mystery. The survivors of the Oceanic Flight are as mysterious as the island itself. This is a really great show. Jack gets buried inside the cave, everyone else do their best to dig him out. In this episode, we examine Charlie's downward spiral from an almost successful band rocker to a drug addict who happened to board on the fateful flight. It's an interesting journey to be explored. This is one good episode.
< 1 2