Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• finally I'm not bored anymore.

This was the best episode since season 2 in my oppinion.The new trend of lost is to have more and more new mysteries without ever answering them.In this episode however, there were no cliffhangers and alot was revealed.I wasn't crazy about the whole flash forward thing happenening in season 4, but with the whole time travel element, we arn't sure if the flash forwards that we see will be the real future. I'ts always nice to have ben comming back into the story and I'm curious to see what he'll be up to next. Also I'm very curious to se if walt and micheal will ever return to the story.
  • Juliet: I'm sure there are things from your past that you'd rather not talk about. Jack: Yeah, you read them all in my file. Juliet: Trust me, Jack, you don't wanna see my file.

Juliet receives an unwelcome visit from someone from her past and is given orders to track down Charlotte and Faraday in order to stop them from completing their mission - by any means necessary. Meanwhile, Ben offers Locke an enticing deal. Not the best episode of the season but also not the worst, as the fourth seasonn goes on we have been seeing Lost at it's best, I really liked "The Other Woman" but it would always be a dissappointment after last weeks episode. The episode was also quite funny, Ben was great in this episode and the ending was great to watch, Jack and Juliet's kiss spoilt the episode abit. this episode I think is a 9.4 out of 10 and Iam already tipping Lost to win a couple of Emmy's this year.
  • Basically the story falls on Juliet, and goes a little more in depth about her situation on the island. It also introduces another character that was part of the others.

I don't want to get to in depth of a summary for this, I just want to say that I personally felt it got back on track to the series as apposed to how the last few episodes have been. This one felt like a season 3 episode and got us back on the present/past storyline deal. It felt really good to have that again, and maybe future episodes will be like that. There is still a lot to learn about the island before we leave it again. We need more insight about the Dharma Initiative and who exactly is Ben, and what is that black smoke. Just can't have the serious go into the future to soon without knowing these things. The beginning of the Season was great, I just felt that it was going way off track of what it really going on.
  • I really liked this episode

To me this episode was really great and I cannot comprehend, why people are so mad at it. To me it was obvious since the first episode of Season 3 that Ben has a thing for Juliet. It might not have been so obvious but between the lines it was to be seen. This therapist lady, was she really there or was it old friend smokey who came to Juliet?

I more and more ask myself if maybe the "other" Others are more or less okay, like Goodwin, and if it is not only crazy Ben who is the bad guy. Hope that Locke takes really good care of himself and our friends and is not tricked again by Ben. The kiss at the end between Juliet and Jack was cute. It was not as heartbreaking as Desmonds phone call with Penny but ....
  • Is it blasphemous that I liked this episode more than "The Constant?"

I almost feel like I need to come and defend this episode. Especially based on the last few reviews on this site (some of which say that Lost is going downhill based on this episode…all while saying that "The Constant" was a masterpiece? Huh?). Personally, I thought this episode was better than "The Constant," which I liked…but best episode of Lost ever? Really TV.com? Really!? ---

I thought it was obvious that the producers were going to throw us a more simplified episode this week after last week's more unique episode. The same thing happened last year after "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (another Desmond episode), and we got "Stranger In A Strange Land" (another panned episode). I don't blame the producers at all. Both those Desmond episodes were packed to the brim with intrigue and information, and both were told in an unconventional manner…you wouldn't want to risk your casual fan base by sending them that type of episode twice in a row (even if the hardcore fan base rejected both episodes). ----

Which brings us to "The Other Woman." I don't know why people disliked this episode so much. Perhaps it was the fact that this episode involved a love pentagon; and adding a dynamic such as that to a story (any story that isn't already established as a love story) is generally considered convoluted, uncreative, and cliché. Maybe it was the fact that this episode added a weakness to Juliet – a character who thus far has been portrayed as a very strong female. Maybe it was the fact that the Ben/Juliet relationship portrayed in this episode apparently contradicts everything we've learned about them thus far. Or maybe it was just the unlucky episode that followed "The Constant," and everyone's expectations were too high.

I don't know what episode it was; I believe it might have been "One Of Us." But there was an episode in season three where Juliet was seen in bed with Goodwin. Yeah, I know that's not substantial proof of anything…but I don't believe the producers would have just thrown this random fact into the mix for no reason. Why? So us observant fans could go, "Oh, wow! Juliet was shagging Goodwin!" No. The producers had Goodwin's and Juliet's relationship figured out nearly a year in advance, probably longer. So why wouldn't they have the Ben/Juliet relationship figured out too? Why would they just pull this new dynamic between two of their main characters out of thin air like so many fans have suggested in their negative reviews? ---

People want to know why Ben hasn't shown any real attraction towards Juliet till this episode. Well, following the island timeline, Goodwin was killed by Ana-Lucia sometime in mid-October. The beginning of season three – when we're first introduced to Juliet – takes place in late November. I think people forget just how close these events occurred after one another. I mean, really…it's only been a month and a half…less actually! Why the hell would Ben be all goo-goo eyed over Juliet after those recent events? Yeah, Juliet still did what Ben wanted a few times during season three, but that was only because Ben was her only way of ever getting off the island. The only reason Juliet even did Ben's bidding in this episode was because everyone was in danger of dying. ---

I think Juliet's fear of Ben is somewhat justified at the end of this episode. Yes, Juliet has never shown any real fear of Ben before this episode (quite the contrary actually), but this fear also occurred only moments after Juliet was nearly conned into killing Daniel and Charlotte (and perhaps the entire island). I think Juliet realized that Ben does have control over her...which is similar to what Ben said at the end of this episode about owning Juliet. And naturally that has Juliet worried that Jack may fall into a similar position as Goodwin. ---

I don't know, personally I think everything fit together really well…but maybe I'm in the minority. I really liked this episode. The love pentagram didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought it put a lot of the islands events into a new perspective. And I liked how it took a minor character like Goodwin (who you never thought you'd see again), and made him and his death significant. The flashbacks fits Ben's possessive character and I think they added a further dynamic to The Others and Juliet. ---

And I didn't even talk about the rest of the episode, which was just incredible! I mean, the Ben and Locke stuff? Just great stuff. Great stuff all around. Can't wait till next week!
  • Another new character...really??? Were all of the other Others busy doing dinner theater?

This episode was a real disappointment for me. Seriously, did we really need ANOTHER new character??? Especially, an Other. There were plenty of them to go around and they all seemed to have disappeared. Now, it turns out there was a therapist in their midst, who has the magical ability to appear and disappear at will. She's also the worst therapist I have ever seen. She starts off her very first session (before Juliet is sleeping with her husband) as being very antagonistic. Not the best way to develop a relationship with your new patient. She later makes some comment about Ben liking Juliet because "you look just like her." Who on Earth is she referring to? Is this just another unanswered question or did I miss some tiny nuance somewhere and I'm supposed to know who she's talking about. It's also quite incredible that she tracks down Juliet in the middle of the jungle during a rain storm, having been sent by Ben who is being held captive by Locke. We're supposed to believe that Ben is somehow still in contact with the Others and he happens to know that on that exact night Charlotte and Daniel are going to the Temptest. AND if he was really going to be sending an Other to Juliet, would it really be the antagonistic wife of her dead lover? Not exactly the person I would be listening to. Come on LOST get it together!
  • Bad.

3.5
    Not the worst episode in the history of LOST, but close. Seems as though 'Stranger in a Strange Land' is always the episode which wins the award for worst episode. But like I said, this episode was close. Again, I am not going to summarize the episode; rather, I am going to share with you my personal thoughts about the episode. First, the character of Juliet is just not that intriguing of a character and she is not a good enough actress to pull off an entire hour long episode devoted to her. The only redeemable qualities of this episode came when Ben 'played his last card' with Locke, and now is living in his own cabin. We hardly saw any of the main cast members in this episode, which is a sign that the show may easily be falling into the doldrums sooner rather than later, especially with the tremendous drop-off from last week's magnificent 'The Constant.'
  • This was an abortion of an episode. No wonder babies on the island die.

It felt like I was watching a parody of the show. And not a well-done parody. More like a Mad TV-level parody.

Okay, new character in Harper, who we find served as a therapist to the others when Juliette arrived on the island. But her sudden appearance and vanishing act in the jungle was the start of the fall of this episode for me. I knew that wasn't a good sign as it was the initial scene meant to shock. It was tough to suspend disbelief enough do anything but laugh, or think of Dexter. Should you not be able to make it all the way through the episose, rest assured it did eventually end for the rest of us.

Is the writer's strike still on?
  • Will go down as the worst episode of Lost. Absurd and unbelievable character backstory. Terrible directing and editing make the actors look weak. Its like a collection of deleted scenes. Widmore throwing flying elbows like an 80's crime drama

1.1
    This was horrible. It will go down as the worst Lost episode of all time.

If you didnt see that..take a class because you could see on the actors faces that they didnt believe this story. Every take was a struggle to be believed

Liz is one of the best actors on Lost and everyone including this director has proved themselves...the only thing I can think of was the strike was looming over them and everyone lost focus because this was no better than an episode of Charmed. Ratings will plummet and Lost will take a big hit for this.

To ask us to believe that Ben was stalking juliet--when there was no sign of that anywhere to be found before --is insulting. The entire execution of that storyline was completely unbelievable--it was as if a bunch of 3rd graders broke into the writers room.

In this short season there is no room for fillers--but this was not a filler--this was a series destroyer because of its inept production
  • Great episode, even though it's an "Hold-school" lost episode.

The sixth episode of the fourth season of "Lost" is about Juliet. As "The Constant" goes with flash-backs instead of flash-forwards, and in it's structure is close to the episodes of the first and second season. The time of the flash-backs is before just before, and immediately after the plane crash, and as I said the protagonist is Juliet. We realie, during the episode how Ben is crazy about her (in fact he considers her "His"); but at the same time how she loves Jack. We get in touch with another Dharma Station, "The Tempest", expecially for what concernes its being a potential killer for all the people on the Island. I'm not gonna tell anything more (expecially for not ruin anything to those who still haven't seen the episode)but I think that with 3 more episodes to go we (Lost-fans) are soon gonna have to deal with one of the biggest cliffhangers of the tv show.
  • A little step back from other episodes of this season but it's ok.

This episode through a series of flashbacks, we explore the background a little more of Juliet and her time spent on the island prior to the crash of Flight-815. I was really surprised to see that she and Goodwin had something going on but what I was really surprised about was the way Ben reacted to her. That whole "SHE's MINE" at the end of the last flashback was amazing. Then Juliet telling Jack tearfully that Ben is going to win and they can't be because of what happened to Goodwin and Jack just simply saying "He knows where I am" that was awesome. My favorite part of the episode had to have been the last 3 minutes. Sawyer and Hurley are playing horseshoes and along comes a smiling Ben with a "Going to see you boys tonight at dinner" with him walking into his house, that was classic. I am glad to see that Ben and Locke are getting along as they are my two favorite characters on the show, although I know Ben is trying to get one over on Locke like he does everyone else.
  • this was okay but again nothing major or relivant has been revealed.

i was waiting for something good from this episode but instead i got the feeling that it was just above average. the only revalations are that goodwin was married to juilet's shrink (we found out in season 3 that they were sleeping together) and Ben has a thing for juilet! that pretty much the mark of the while episode, the gas isn't really a revalation because we know ben has a history of mass murder by using gas (not really a major inclusion) and dan and charlotte are trying to help rather than hinder the survivors... i would have liked to have found out more about why they're helping rather than the writers just padding out unneccasary plots!!

oh well i still ove the show but the posters and advertising promised "answers are coming" i guess they just be at the end of the series to keep us watching until 2010 when the show finishes!
  • Juliet flashback shows she's a woman in the middle and played like a fiddle. And Locke is manipulated too.

Here we go with a Juliet story present and past, her life on the island as a new Other is shown. A third in a love triangle, or is it quad? Other-ville turns out to have been a bit of a soap-opera central. And like a daily soap, this episode is full of terse, cryptic dialog,c'mon, people actually talk in more than two sentence converstions, a minor story is told, and supposed to leave the viewer tuning in next time. This was a very average episode, lacking in spark or wit. Locke's character disappoints, the growth of Ben as an omnipotent mastermind is becoming unbelievable.
  • If a formula works....

After the occasional "What the hell was that" episode (see Desmond's time travelling nonsense in "The Constant"), the show has fallen back to the predictable if mildly entertaining formula of showing us a character with a current crisis and then hitting us with flashbacks which tell us why certain decisions are being made. This time, it's Juliet. She tries to stop the "sinister" Faraday and Lewis from killing everyone on the island only to discover that they were trying to save everyone. It seems to me that the "Whose-side-are-they-REALLY-on" card has been played to death. For examples of this overused plot device, please see Juliet, Ben, Ethan, all of the tail section survivors (who are all dead now), the rescue boat crew, etc, etc,.

As usual, by the end of the episode, far more questions are raised than the writers will EVER be able to answer. I am really starting to give up hope that this show, which started off with ENORMOUS potential and appeal will ever get back on track. You can only string your viewers along for so long before they get ticked off and change the channel.
  • "Average" by the Standards set by Season Four

Without a doubt, to me, the worst episode of the season but still being able to score a 9.1 overall. Obviosuly not one of my favorite episodes of the show so far, but there were several moments in the episode that I did like.

Lets begin with the old fashioned flashback episode, which was a change in tempo from what we have been wacthing this season. Three of this seasons six epsiodes have been flash forwards, which I tend to watch with a more keen eye because I dont know the outcome. You know watching this episode that Juliet and Goodwin get together - you just dont know how it happens and why a lot of things happen. Juliet reminded me of Sun in this episode a lot. You think you know a character but the more times you get a flashback your opinion of her changes. Everyone felt for sun in "House of the Rising Sun" but by the time we got to "The Glass Balerina" everything about her backstory wasn't what we expected it to be. Same for Juliet in her transition from "Not In Portland" to "The Other Woman". A scene in "One of Us" seemingly so inicent with Goodwin and Juliet turns into this completly other thing that we didn't see coming. Overall the flashback was solid - with a lot of Michael Emerson lending a helping hand to Elizabeth Michell. She held her own in the flashbacks, but I always feel she will need someone else big to make her better. Which is why I think Kate episodes tend to be hard to watch - I feel she also needs a big name actor to help her out and when its centered around Lilly you don't often get that. The introduction of Harper was just kind of random to me. I almost don't want the writers to do anything more with her, but her character seemed so random and pointless to have in there for one episode. I could have come up with a half a dozen better flashbacks if the producers just wanted to stick with "Important Flashbacks" like they said. Scenes with Juliet and Harper lacked anything worth watching in the episode and being caught up in a triangle / love story not involving Desmond and Penny was a big mistake following up "The Constant". Overall - flashbacks were average, didn't feel the big "importance" of them - granted Ben got that much more complex and I like that.

On island scenes were stolen by the power duo of the show - Terry and Emerson. Putting those two together is so unfair and I dont think its just chance that those two often get scenes ranging from 2-4 minutes while everyone else gets the more old fashioned 45 seconds to a minute. A 42 minute episode could be made around those two talking and it would be amazing. The characters personalities mesh so well. Emerson talking about "Has the revolution begun" was perfect for getting inside the head of someone who is very much so new to the leader role. The reveal of Charles Widemore was very good and the spy on the boat - we know who it is, so I hope next episode doesnt hinge on that "big reveal". Juliet and Jacks portions of the epsiode were okay. The trip to the Tempest felt a little too forced to me. Nothing really happened once we got there. We do know now how the entire island can be purged, but other then that it was just Charlotte and Juliet wrestling for a minute and Juliet not pulling the trigger. Nothing much there. Jack and Juliets kiss felt right, I like the relationship between the two characters and I like how the writers waited over a season and a little more for it to really happen. The one in Through the Looking Glass was just kind of random. Overall - solid episode but it just lacked the tempo set up by a rolling season four.
  • good but for me kinda sad...

7.2
    i thought that this episode was good but i was really disapointed that jack kissed juliet, i hate her and i hate her with jack, he belongs with kate! oh well hopefully he,ll come to his sencees soon. i wasnt shocked though when it was about her i figured that some thing would happen. hopefully the next episode will be good it looked good. i love this show but i fing it sad that kate and jack have only kissed once and juliet and him have kissed twice!!! i men its really sad for us jate fans. even if jack and juliet do become a couple i'll still have hope for kate and jack will be together!!! ;)
  • Great episode

The fact that the boaties are still walking around not telling anybody anything is kind of annoying. Why did they have to knock Kate unconscious instead of just telling her what they were doing and letting her follow them. Charlotte didn't exactly have to tackle Juliet in the the Tempest either. Other than that, I don't have any qualms with this episode. The Goodwin/Juliet relationship is actually really great and I didn't think this story could be fleshed out anymore - but I was wrong. If they actually had all of this planned since The Other 48 Days (or even if they didn't) props to the writers.
  • Thou shall not covet thou shrink's husband

The worst example of retcon begins with the introduction of Harper, Goodwin's wife, as in the Goodwin Juliet was sleeping with back when ...wait for it: Ben was obssessed with her. Yeah! apparentely, after the master piece that was "The Constant" last week, the writers decided to completely ruin one of the most perfect mix of collaboration/rivalry in any relationship I've seen on this show and turn it into the tale of one creepy stalker Ben who captured naive PhD Juliet so she would be "his" until, of course, handsome Dr. Jack would come to her rescue.

It didn't matter that they had to re-write Ben and Juliet's entire history in the process or Ben's sole motivation to bring her here: she was not brought to heal pregnant women so the others would finally settle on this island, she came here because she looked like Annie (the only "her" Harper could've been talking about since she never met Ben's mother) and so Ben wanted her for himself. The worst part? Goodwin now was killed not because he disobeyed Ben's orders in order to bring Ana Lucia to the fold but because he was sleeping with Juliet (despite being married, that adulterer). In the middle of all this CRAP I can hardly pay attention to what Charlotte and Daniel are trying to do because the sheer thought that the writers had to ruin not 2 but 3 perfect characters just so Jack could get "the girl" in the end makes me so MAD that I must give this episode the worst score possible.
  • Juliet and her past on the island

In this episode called "The other woman" we learn information about Juliet's life on the island. Juliet and Goodwin had a relationship, and Goodwin's wife who was Juliet's psychologist figured out what was going on. She threatens Juliet but their secret relationship does not end. Another information we learn in this episode is that Ben had a crash on Juliet and that back when oceanic815 crash-landed he sent Goodwin to the tailies on purpose. He wanted him to get killed in order for him to be with Juliet,because as he said to Juliet ,she was his! A very emotional moment of the episode, is when Ben takes Juliet to see her dead lover. Anna-Loucia had killed him.
    Back on the island, Charlotte and Dan disappeared into the jungle going to the tempest,the station which gives electricity to the island. Juliet and Jack go after them to stop them from realising gases which would kill everyone on the island. On the way to the tempest, Charlotte and Dan encounter Kate who was returning from the barracks. Kate figures out that something goes wrong and when she asks to see their bag, Charlotte knocks her unconscious. Afterwards, Juliet and Jack find Kate, but Juliet gets away from them and goes to the tempest by her self. There, she encounters Miles trying to do something on the computer while wearing a mask. Charlotte appears and they have a fight with Juliet. At the end, Dan manages to finish what he was doing,and fortunately he and Charlotte did not have a bad purpose,they were just trying to help.
    Back at the barracks, Ben comes to an agreement with Locke to release him when he shows to him a tape with Charles Widmore killing one of Ben's associates. In addition, Ben reveals to Locke who his spy is on the freighter.
    Wonderful episode,informative with one of my favourite characters being the centric one.
  • Can understand that not all liked this episode, but I think we had to cool out a little bit.

After last week's sci-fi/bizarre episode it's time to get back to normal life. And this is full of relations not responded to. Harper has problems with his husband Goodwin. Goodwin has an affair with Juliet, and has to pay for that bitterly. Ben wants to get possession of Juliet like crazy. Juliet finds protection by Jack. Desmond's love to Penny will have a twist?
    Can understand that not all liked this episode, but I think we had to cool out a little bit to have space for next weeks momentums, where we will be facing some old faces and will be introduced to the missing two of the Oceanic Six.
    So please calm down and keep watching Lost.
  • Just a bit too clever for its own good, or a massive misstep?

Under normal circumstances, an episode centered on Juliet would be a welcome prospect. Even more so, an episode written by Drew Goddard. Goddard has a history of using flashbacks as a tool for connecting continuity dots, and Juliet rivals Ben in terms of sheer manipulative power. One could argue that Juliet was one of the few people with the ability to counter Ben at his own game.

Unfortunately, the premise of this episode detracts from the promise of a strong writer and a compelling focal character. In previous episodes, Juliet's history had been fairly straightforward. Juliet had been held on the island against her will by Ben, who was more than happy to apply any means to convince her that the island was her place in the world. Goodwin, her lover and source of comfort, had been killed in the attempt to monitor and control Ana Lucia. Creating a love polygon adds nothing to that.

Ben has never been particularly pleased with Juliet's stubborn independent streak, and he has done horrible things to keep her in line. Previous episodes have suggested Ben's possible attraction to her, but the context was always within his usual range of emotional control. It seems against his character to make blatant moves to romance Juliet or place one of his own in mortal peril for standing in his way.

Instead, Ben's sense of possession is about control. Ben brought Juliet to the island to resolve the reproductive problems. As long as she feels obligation or satisfaction outside of that goal, Ben is displeased. The emergence of his cancer is indicative of this; for a time, her skills were otherwise applied to manipulating Jack into saving Ben's life.

The question is: did Ben send Goodwin to the AnaLucia Tribe because he was the best man for the job, or because it would give him an opportunity to eliminate a distraction for Juliet? It may be both, though not in the extreme. Harper's warning may come down to simply this: Ben will do what is best for Ben. In other words, romantic notions aside, Ben needs Juliet in line more than he needs Goodwin.

So why would Juliet, knowing Ben as well as she does, think that he would make decisions based on romantic underpinnings? He wouldn't have sent Juliet to seduce and confound Jack and prepare Sun and Kate for abduction if he was that concerned about keeping her to himself. Instead, it seems far more likely that Juliet's interpretation of past events was altered by her encounter with "Harper", her new mission, and lingering doubts about her role in Jack's life.

"Harper" was most likely Jacob and/or the "smoke monster" (though there is reason to believe they are one and the same, or operate in tandem). By apparently appearing on Ben's behalf, with Ben "being where he wants to be", "Harper" triggers the thought in Juliet that it has been about Ben's desire to possess her personally. Her mind plays out the evidence that could support that possibility.

Far more likely, "Harper" is aware that Juliet has no concept of Jacob's ability to change appearance or Cerberus' ability to take on the form of familiar faces. So orders from on high would mean nothing to her. Orders from Ben, however, reinforced by a sudden rush of guilt and directed awareness, are all too familiar. The last thing "Harper" wants is the deactivation of the Tempest system, since it was already found useful in eliminating one threat to the island during the Purge of the Dharma Initiative.

Juliet's mindset is further influenced when Jack finds Kate. "Harper" forces Juliet to consider that Ben killed Goodwin to assert his control over her life. She was the "other woman" who stole Goodwin from Harper, and from a certain point of view, she has found herself in the role of "other woman" stealing Jack from Kate. It doesn't matter if it's true; what matters is that the thought triggered by this analogy is "Ben gets what he wants, by any means necessary".

Juliet's conversation with Jack at the end appears to be her bid for independence, moderating by fear of the consequences. Yet Juliet has always been willing to cross Ben to her own advantage, so that doesn't quite add up. Given Juliet's history, it's far more likely that she is taking firm control over her destiny, especially in the wake of seeing the truth behind Ben's supposed goal for killing Daniel and Charlotte. Jack has a track record when it comes to defying Ben. Why not make it seem like his choice?

It all seems rather unnecessarily complicated to interpret the episode in such a manner, but it feels more consistent than the idea that Juliet is Ben's weakness and object of obsession. It also feels more consistent with the portrayal of Ben with Locke in the "present". Ben has always been very good at getting what he wants, and he plays whatever role is necessary to ensure it. He gains freedom (and therefore the ability to regain control) by handing Locke the impression of control.

It's no surprise that the "rescue party" was sent by Charles Widmore. That writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Whether or not Ben's explanation for Widmore's interest in the island is entirely accurate is another question. Widmore would know about the aspects of the island available for exploitation from his connection to Hanso and, by extension, the Dharma Initiative data. So while Ben's explanation is generally reasonable, it's vague nature suggests a very specific hidden truth.

As far as the man on the boat is concerned, all the evidence is now pointing to Michael. Never mind that the conclusion is supported by endless press releases; it fits perfectly into Ben's form of manipulation. Ben would have known about the threat posed by Widmore for years, and if Michael and Walt had returned to the real world in any public manner, the news would have spread quickly. Since the world still believes Oceanic 815 went down with all passengers, Michael and Walt either never left the island (unlikely) or were sent to a location where Ben's people could pick them up and manipulate them further.

Ultimately, this episode appears to present a number of contradictions, even as it attempts to slide into the established continuity. Those contradictions can be resolved, but it relies on a level of manipulation from Ben, "Harper", and Juliet (within and without) to make sense. If future episodes fall in line with the manipulation theory, then this is simply a case of overselling a concept and falling short of storytelling goals. If not, and this is a shift in the characterization of Ben and Juliet's complicated history, then it would be a massive self-inflicted wound.
  • a step backwards from the previous episode, but still very good

Quite a good episode, you learn more about the life of the others. The flashbacks where not clearing thins up, we knew everything already. I am happy that we learn how Ben killed the guys from the darma inisative.

Charles Witmore is a very intruiging character, and I want to know how he knows about the island. The fact that Jack has chosen for Juliette don't really interest me. The acting Michael Emerson was again very good, Ben really is a creep. The final scene was also funny with Hurley and Sawyer, but it whas pitty there wasn't a "wow" ending.
  • This episode concerns Juliet's past and her romantic involment with Goodwin. We get to see Ben's love interest for Juliet and how he tried to keep her away from everybody especially Goodwin. On the other hand, Ben makes a deal with Locke and he's now free

This episode isn't as good as the previous one but it is therefore very important. It gives us important info and moreover it helps to the development of the whole LOST arc. Juliet's part becomes more important and more essential to the whole story and now we have a new love triangle with Kate - Jack - Juliet. Furthemore, now we know how important Penny's father is and how he is the boats of the rescuing team on the island

Nevertheless, this episode promotes a slower pace for the series and can't be compared with the previous one.

Lastly, Locke is becoming more and more stupid. Slowly slowly we get to see that Locke made a mistake separating from the others, and those that gone with him as well, as he has no idea what he is doing. His part must become more exciting.
    Season 4, following season 3 shocking ending, becomes better and better. I hope they keep doing whatever it is they are doing to keep this show on the top.
  • This episode was really cool and also shed a little bit more into the life of the others and especially Juliette. (Contains spoilers)

This was another really cool episode. They showed more of how the others fit into the story with Goodwin, which I believe was killed by Anna Lucia, I was trying to think when they were talking about it. They mentioned the kids who were captured from thee tail section of the plane. We have more of who should we believe, that Charlotte loves to pistol whip people instead of finding out what's going on first, that makes me question her. I so called when Kate bent over that she was going to get hit in the head, I saw that coming. The way Juliette gave her a look in one scene and from the flash backs and everything makes me wonder if she isn't questionable. The chick fight wasn't as hot as it was with her and Anna Lucia in season two. I again wonder about Locke, why the hell would he let Ben be free it was only a month or so in their time frame they did that and they saw what happened. Those documents aren't even all accurate Ben even said so.

Now that Daniel Faraday and Charlotte fixed the computer does that mean there isn't any way of Ben using those chemicals to gas anyone like he did before? Is Ben just playing everyone once again?

We will find out next week who the last member of "the Oceanic 6" is. They are sure using those loopholes with people like Ben and people that weren't on the flight so they weren't part of the 6 yet still made it off of the island. I thought Juliette was another one until we saw it was a flashback to when she got on the island. That was also the first flashback it seemed like in awhile they have been doing alot of flash fowards obviously of the people who will get off of the island. Once they announce that 6th person, we will know who won't make it, we just have to wait to find out when they die and how they die.
  • Following last week's amazing episode, it was very hard to follow it up. This week's episode was less then last week for sure.

We found out some bits about Juliet's past in the island. But more importantly we found out more about Ben's persuasion of people. Somehow he can control Juliet and she almost killed Faraday and Charlotte because of her.

We also found out how Ben had a video of the owner of the freighter and we found out that it was Penelope's father. It looks like this is going to be an all out war between Ben and Penelope's father.

By the end of the episode Ben was free, thus this means that he has told Locke the name of his person on the freighter, even if it shocked him.
  • Interesting setup but the first real slow-moving piece of the season.

So who is the "Other Woman" Juliet at first when she is the woman with whom Goodwin is having affair. Then it becomes Ben as he claims Juliet as his but has to compete with Goodwin. Now has it become Jack? I agree with another reviewer when I state that Ben's obsession with Juliet is linked very closely to her research and not to a sexual or romantic interest in her. Ben's obsession with the fertility study stems from his own mother's death and very possibly has a traumatic effect on the situation on the island. In the end, I'm not really sure it matters.

There seemed to be several scenes in this episode that not only dragged but were pointless. The music, while supposed to augment drama and tension, almost made it painfully obvious that the scene was going nowhere. For example, Juliet treating Goodwin's chemical burn, which most likely came from his work with the chemicals at the Orchid station. This was all but revealed later in the episode, as was the Ben-Juliet-Goodwin triangle, making the first scene superfluous. Then there are situations that are interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling. To an extent, I enjoyed having to decide whether to root for Juliet or for Daniel and Charlotte. After "The Constant" Daniel seems legit. After this episode, Charlotte seems like a brute. And honestly, after "Eggtown," Juliet seems like the most intelligent female character on the show. But I had suspected that the gas at the Orchid station was a threat only if Ben chose to use it as a last resort defense. Daniel's "rendering the gas inert" seemed contrived but whatever. I would not be disappointed if this is really what he did and we never returned to this plot. What does matter in this episode is Locke's uneasy role as the leader. He was much better when he could selflessly contribute to the tribe, whether it was pork meat or shamanistic advice. Now he is in a position where his interests conflict with those in his tribe. He is also still easily manipulated, which risks the rest of the tribe. What is made clear by the final scene is that Locke needs Sawyer. Just as he needed him in "The Brig." This was neatly foreshadowed in "Eggtown" when Sawyer discusses the role of "sheep" in their tribe. Locke needs Sawyer's stubbornness and Sawyer's slowly developing sense of belonging. Together, the two could, and possibly will, protect their group and the island. And they could do it without the assistance of Ben and his bottomless deck of trump cards. This is why Jack should have listened to his own advice and not trusted Ben with anyone but himself. Jack's role has really been diminished lately as he fumbles around trying to get the phone to work and trying to get people to listen to him while he quietly second guesses himself. Jin's response to Jack's questioning of why he let Daniel and Charlotte slip off into the jungle was hilarious. I think it was meant to be sarcastic. Kind of like when your boss tells you to do something that you know is wrong and is only going to cause more work and problems later, but you have to do it anyway. Then when those problems do arise, you have to remind her or him what caused them in the first place. Comedy. What this episode does (intentionally) well is tell a stand alone story. This has been a strength of this season. The mysteries are slowly coming together one episode at a time. Hopefully when the writers will implement a multi-part arc later this season. If so, it will be all the more effective due to these first few episodes. But overall, this story moved a bit too slowly.
  • Another Solid episode.

"See you guys at dinner!" That phrase was so funny. The whole last scene cracked me up, Sawyer and Hugo make such a great duo. How good is Michael Emerson? He just can`t stop getting better. The episode is an Juliet flashback(they did teased a flash forward at start). So no Flash forward, what does this mean for the chracter, it`s too early to say. But the flash back was none less interesting...revealing the one way love story of Ben and Juliet. I love it when Ben says that Juliet is his..smartest man of the island. We saw quite a different side of Ben in the episode.
    The big revelation is that Charles Widmore is the man for whom the people on the boat are working. Well it was theorized before and we got a hint in last episode, so can`t say it was an OMG moment. This surely means that Desmond will certainly remain a major character for a while.
    As for Ben`s spy...am 99% sure it`s Michael. It got to be him...but we never know with Lost.
    And oh....the love triangle stuff is now a love square (not sure about the term here) Juliet is in (would you believe that) and yeah Jack-Kate talking was the only boring moment of the episode.
    It was not a "The constant" standard episode but you can`t expect every episode to be like that. This Season is turning out to be a masterpiece and this was no road block.
  • In an episode that would have seemed to fit better in season 3 than season 4, we learn more of Juliet's story on the island, of Ben's ability to manipulate and the man behind the freighter.

This was a strong episode but it pales in comparison to last week's brilliant epic. It also fell more in line with the plot/themes of Season 3, with the exception of Ben and Locke and the Charles Widmore reveal.

In the flashbacks, we learn that Juliet's relationship with Goodwyn was an affair. He was married to the group's therapist. Why a therapist? Juliet reveals that it is stressful to be an other. This is true, given that Ben manipulated everyone and has most people living in fear. He kept Juliet prisoner on the island because she is "his". She must remind him of someone from his past, possibly his mother or Annie or another woman. I believe that Ben's past lover got pregnant and died, adding yet another layer of torture to Ben's motives. Afterall, everything he does he does for the Island. The Island, so far, has treated him with an abusive father, haunting memories of his mother and possibly the death of his lover and unborn child. How does Ben react? Be sending Goodwyn on a death errand, courtesy of a revised flashback of the plane crash from Juliet's perspective. We also learn that Juliet has helped tail-section survivors integrate into the collective, mainly Zack and Emma. Juliet then is taken to visit her lover's dead body, who has recently been impaled by Ana-Lucia. In real-time, Jack and Juliet go in search of Daniel and Charlotte who, according to a vanishing Harper (Goodwyn's wife), are headed to the Tempest to recreate the purge. Juliet must kill them, as per Ben's instructions. This is the third person we've seen be ordered to kill on Ben's behalf. First Michael did it to release Ben from the hatch. Second, in a flashforward, we see Sayid murdering by way of orders from Ben. Now Juliet (who, as far as we know, has never killed anyone) is willing to go along and kill the newbies based on what Harper said Ben wants. But who is Harper? How did you rise the whispers and then vanish? Since we know the Monster communicates with Jacob and that is can also read people's memories, perhaps this wasn't actually Harper but the Monster. And the Monster is channelling Jacob (and Ben) to do its bidding. Why would the Monster want to protect the gas-action? Yet another good question.

Jack and Juliet run into Kate, who has been knocked out. As Jack tends to the woman he confesses his love to just a few days ago, Juliet runs to find Daniel and Charlotte about to release the gas in the Tempest station. Only they are not there to release the gas and kill everyone. Rather, they are there to prevent it from happening ever again. Yes, they know about the previous purge and they have ordered to make sure that Ben can't use this weapon again.

In the end, Juliet and Jack kiss. But over at the Barracks, Ben informs Locke that he's always got a plan. He says this as it is shown that Locke is without a plan and his people are questioning his wisdom, including sweet Claire. Ben then makes a deal with Locke. If Locke releases Ben back into the society he will reveal who is behind the freighter and who his man is on the boat. The audience learns that Penny's dad hired the boat and will stop at nothing to exploit the island's unique properties. Locke then learns the shocking identity of the man on the boat, although we (the audience) are not privy to this conversation. We are, however, smart enough to have figured it out. All bets are on Michael. In the end, Ben is at large. It is also revealed that Hurley is better than Sawyer at horseshoes, yet another game that Sawyer loses to Hurley.
  • Exellent episode !

This episode had some awesome parts that made me so
    crazy. The part was between Locke and Ben....

I was chocked when i heard that pennys father is
    looking for the Island so despertly. I realy wonder
    why he want the island so much? I never expected
    HIM of all people to be involved, maybe thats how
    penny knows a bit about the island when she said that
    to Desmond, a small connection that penny maybe
    found some files at her fathers office or something
    about the island. I wonder how he will act when he
    finds out that Desmond had found the Island before him.
    That would make pennys father feel he is not the first
    one to get there and sail around the world as he said.

So anyway, the biggest question is... who recorded
    that tape "Red Sox" ? Ben? or someone from his people?
    And what did realy happened when he said to Lock that he
    should sit down when he asked about "the man on his boat".

man i realy cant wait to see the continue of that part.
    Ben just walked out of the house like everything
    was fine and Locke accepted Ben telling the truth of something or what ever.
  • i thought lost was a drama, and now i feel like i'm watching the sci-fi channel. what happened?

5.5
    i know i'm probably in the minority, but i don't like the way it feels like it's going. i watch because i love the original castaways and their issues. i'm not sure how i feel about time-space differentials, secret missions to stop the killer gas (c'mon, be honest, it was kinda corny) and all that jazz. i'm more interested in who gets off the island, and why, not the boat people and what they're doing. i wish now and then they would just tell you something up front, just to be different. i love the mysterious aspect of the show, but the constant jumping around episode to episode would be a little more palpable if we had some idea what one of the groups is really up to. what's up with desmond and sayid? what's their plan on the boat? who is ben's man on the boat? i'm not surprised they didn't tell us, that would be way too cool of them. what's the deal with locke? and why are the people with him putting up with him? i think the writers and producers are getting a little 'lost' in where they're taking the series. if you think i'm stupid and don't get it, go to abc.com and re-watch some episodes from season one, and see how different the tone is, it's more of a character-driven drama, as opposed to a sci-fi mystery. oh well...
1 2 3