Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• This was an abortion of an episode. No wonder babies on the island die.

It felt like I was watching a parody of the show. And not a well-done parody. More like a Mad TV-level parody.

Okay, new character in Harper, who we find served as a therapist to the others when Juliette arrived on the island. But her sudden appearance and vanishing act in the jungle was the start of the fall of this episode for me. I knew that wasn't a good sign as it was the initial scene meant to shock. It was tough to suspend disbelief enough do anything but laugh, or think of Dexter. Should you not be able to make it all the way through the episose, rest assured it did eventually end for the rest of us.

Is the writer's strike still on?
  • Will go down as the worst episode of Lost. Absurd and unbelievable character backstory. Terrible directing and editing make the actors look weak. Its like a collection of deleted scenes. Widmore throwing flying elbows like an 80's crime drama

1.1
    This was horrible. It will go down as the worst Lost episode of all time.

If you didnt see that..take a class because you could see on the actors faces that they didnt believe this story. Every take was a struggle to be believed

Liz is one of the best actors on Lost and everyone including this director has proved themselves...the only thing I can think of was the strike was looming over them and everyone lost focus because this was no better than an episode of Charmed. Ratings will plummet and Lost will take a big hit for this.

To ask us to believe that Ben was stalking juliet--when there was no sign of that anywhere to be found before --is insulting. The entire execution of that storyline was completely unbelievable--it was as if a bunch of 3rd graders broke into the writers room.

In this short season there is no room for fillers--but this was not a filler--this was a series destroyer because of its inept production
  • A really poor and unbelievable episode.

2.8
    I love Lost and was really looking forward to series 4 but this episode I'm afraid sums up much of the series. Something is lacking and I can't put my finger on it. The Constant was a 10/10 episode but all the others just haven't really achieved much excitement for me, this being by far the worst. Juliet is dull as dishwater and the whole story with Ben was weak. At the start of Season 3 Ben says "so I guess I'm out of the book club then" and we wonder where their relationship went wrong but in this episode after that event Ben is having Juliet round for a romantic "first date" type meal. That doesn't add up. So Juliet had an affair with that Other bloke. Who cares? Ben sent him off with Ana Lucia as he knew she would kill him? Ridiculous. We have a whole episode devoted to showing that Ben is actually evil? And in such a dull way? Oh dear. We knew that already. Then to make matters worse, Faraday and co go and turn off the gas but just had to hit Kate over the head so we could have the tense ending with Juliet with the are they or aren't they bad question. It's so stupid, why would they not just say "Listen, we think this Ben bloke is going to use the gas to kill you all so we're going to go turn it off"? The answer, they wouldn't!

Overall a real disappointment of an episode only saved by humour between Ben and Locke.
  • Thou shall not covet thou shrink's husband

The worst example of retcon begins with the introduction of Harper, Goodwin's wife, as in the Goodwin Juliet was sleeping with back when ...wait for it: Ben was obssessed with her. Yeah! apparentely, after the master piece that was "The Constant" last week, the writers decided to completely ruin one of the most perfect mix of collaboration/rivalry in any relationship I've seen on this show and turn it into the tale of one creepy stalker Ben who captured naive PhD Juliet so she would be "his" until, of course, handsome Dr. Jack would come to her rescue.

It didn't matter that they had to re-write Ben and Juliet's entire history in the process or Ben's sole motivation to bring her here: she was not brought to heal pregnant women so the others would finally settle on this island, she came here because she looked like Annie (the only "her" Harper could've been talking about since she never met Ben's mother) and so Ben wanted her for himself. The worst part? Goodwin now was killed not because he disobeyed Ben's orders in order to bring Ana Lucia to the fold but because he was sleeping with Juliet (despite being married, that adulterer). In the middle of all this CRAP I can hardly pay attention to what Charlotte and Daniel are trying to do because the sheer thought that the writers had to ruin not 2 but 3 perfect characters just so Jack could get "the girl" in the end makes me so MAD that I must give this episode the worst score possible.
  • Something died in me while watching this episode

3.3
    I don't know where to begin... a very poor episode.

I don't care about Juliet and her promiscuity.

I don't care about Goodwin and his chemical burn.

I don't care about some shrink chick that pops out of the blue. I don't care about Jack's boyscout crush.

I don't care about "The Tempest". I don't care about releasing or not releasing the gas.

I don't care about Claire's function and her obviously unlimited Make-Up depot.

I don't care about watching Charles Widmore beating up some dude.

I don't care about seeing Ben fooling Locke again and again and again.

I don't care about horseshoes.

I just don't care.
  • Bad.

3.5
    Not the worst episode in the history of LOST, but close. Seems as though 'Stranger in a Strange Land' is always the episode which wins the award for worst episode. But like I said, this episode was close. Again, I am not going to summarize the episode; rather, I am going to share with you my personal thoughts about the episode. First, the character of Juliet is just not that intriguing of a character and she is not a good enough actress to pull off an entire hour long episode devoted to her. The only redeemable qualities of this episode came when Ben 'played his last card' with Locke, and now is living in his own cabin. We hardly saw any of the main cast members in this episode, which is a sign that the show may easily be falling into the doldrums sooner rather than later, especially with the tremendous drop-off from last week's magnificent 'The Constant.'
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with what I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill the peeps on the island, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with watch I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill everyone, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • I literally fell asleep. Don't like Juliet.

I really, really did not like this episode. I just don't buy this crap of Juliet being good. I can't stand her. Compared to last week's episode this was nothing. I mean, come on, who cares about Juliet?? I think Elizabeth Mitchell is not believable at all, at least not compared to the other actors and actresses. With them you see history in their eyes: Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, Jack, but Juliet's say nothing, they're blanc. It was a wasted episode, they could have done much better. Lets hope it doesn't get worse.
    However I still believe Lost is the best show on TV nowadays. They have us accustomed to a certain level of greatness, and this one fell short!
  • Another new character...really??? Were all of the other Others busy doing dinner theater?

This episode was a real disappointment for me. Seriously, did we really need ANOTHER new character??? Especially, an Other. There were plenty of them to go around and they all seemed to have disappeared. Now, it turns out there was a therapist in their midst, who has the magical ability to appear and disappear at will. She's also the worst therapist I have ever seen. She starts off her very first session (before Juliet is sleeping with her husband) as being very antagonistic. Not the best way to develop a relationship with your new patient. She later makes some comment about Ben liking Juliet because "you look just like her." Who on Earth is she referring to? Is this just another unanswered question or did I miss some tiny nuance somewhere and I'm supposed to know who she's talking about. It's also quite incredible that she tracks down Juliet in the middle of the jungle during a rain storm, having been sent by Ben who is being held captive by Locke. We're supposed to believe that Ben is somehow still in contact with the Others and he happens to know that on that exact night Charlotte and Daniel are going to the Temptest. AND if he was really going to be sending an Other to Juliet, would it really be the antagonistic wife of her dead lover? Not exactly the person I would be listening to. Come on LOST get it together!
  • If a formula works....

After the occasional "What the hell was that" episode (see Desmond's time travelling nonsense in "The Constant"), the show has fallen back to the predictable if mildly entertaining formula of showing us a character with a current crisis and then hitting us with flashbacks which tell us why certain decisions are being made. This time, it's Juliet. She tries to stop the "sinister" Faraday and Lewis from killing everyone on the island only to discover that they were trying to save everyone. It seems to me that the "Whose-side-are-they-REALLY-on" card has been played to death. For examples of this overused plot device, please see Juliet, Ben, Ethan, all of the tail section survivors (who are all dead now), the rescue boat crew, etc, etc,.

As usual, by the end of the episode, far more questions are raised than the writers will EVER be able to answer. I am really starting to give up hope that this show, which started off with ENORMOUS potential and appeal will ever get back on track. You can only string your viewers along for so long before they get ticked off and change the channel.
  • Do we really need to know this?

5.2
    While in my opinion, the flash-forwards are great, i was very diappointed with this episode. Juliet is one of the most uninteresting persons on the island and what exactly do we know now about her? That she doesn't hesitate to go after another woman's husband (watch out kate, juliet will stop at nothing)? that creepy ben has a crush on her (congratulations, juliet)? All of Juliets lying (and she obviously cannot lie very good as she feels compelled to unveil the truth short after- boring)is meant to make her enigmatic and charismatic so she will be a good match for the doctor and be the anti-Kate- a failed attempt. Give the main characters more screen time and stop wasting time with storys about boring characters (paolo and nikki anybody?)
  • Boring

5.5
    The Flashback: Mostly about Juliet's love life and Ben's obsession over her. As far as I'm concerned,it was pretty boring to see Ben drool all over Juliet and kill his way to her. Basically, what we learn is, Ben is creepy. But didn't we already know that?

The Island: This was also close to useless. Jack, Juliet and Kate go after two of those people from the boat, God it was like watching a game of cat and mouse. The only good thing in this episode was probably Ben and Locke discussing and we finally get some progression, but that was really minor. The ending was pretty killer though, I had a good laugh from it.
  • Any hope of rescue is blown but oh well..... We're given backround to Juliet's affair, Daniel and Charlotte head to the island's power station to cut off a supply of lethal gas that can kill everyone on the island and Ben gets back on top. Yawn.

5.5
    Juliet's flashback (yes, they've covered flshforwards and visions from the past to the future and now they're back to flashbacks)is among the slowest ever seen on Lost; we see Ben fawning over her but when the charismatic Goodwin sweeps her off her feet, Ben sends him to Ana - Lucia at the plane crash site knowing that she'll kill him.
    We also see Juliet's old therapist Harper who was married to Goodwin the cad. On the island however Juliet and Jack set out to stop Daniel and Charlotte from completing their mission and we see Ben use his knowledge of the freighter in exchange for some freedom. Apart from the amusing exchanges between Ben and Locke as well as a nice little bit involving Sawyer and Hurley at the end; this episode is powerfully dull and takes the prize as the worst of Season 4.

Big mistake giving Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet the starring role as she sleepwalks through her role and is the most uninteresting character on Lost since Bernard and his wife Rose. As so much of the episode is dedicated to the drama between Juliet, Ben and Goodwin they try to overcompensate it with hectic fight scenes and "suspenseful" sequences featuring Daniel frantically typing random equations into a computer with a loudspeaker telling him time's up (sound familiar?)

This episode is also swimming in what are now called "Lost Clichés" which include; having characters walk through the jungle holding torches in the rain, someone seeing a person from their past come out of nowhere and greeting them with a creepy "hello" before disappearing, having the large Hurley beat someone (Sawyer) at sport and of course having the entire scene that takes place in the "tempest". All of these just add to the contrived nature of the show.

The Direction is at the top of its game with very nicely structured scenes but the problem is the order between the scenes which is really haphazard how random bits that don't tie together are ordered. With this episode we learn that Charles Widmore (Penny's Dad) is looking for the island to turn it into a lucrative gimmick; personally this is a pretty feeble excuse, after two seasons of wondering who was looking for the island and why the best answer is a rich old guy looking for a money - making scheme. Hopefully either Ben is lying or the source that told him that is.

We're given more insight into Ben' we learn that he had a silly crush on Juliet and killed Goodwin in spite of it, we also find out that he somehow has the power to communicate with his people and have a knowledge of what's happening on the island while being locked in Locke's basement. The Writer's are being generous by giving a great character like Ben so much development and with Michael Emerson's superb performance as him it's even better but i'm getting the sense that they're spreading his character a bit thin. All in all, this is an effective set - up for later episodes but a substandard one overall. The Soap Opera - like flashbacks and rambling events on the island are quick to lose the attention of the audience and the lack of answers and standout performances just deem it a poor episode.
  • i thought lost was a drama, and now i feel like i'm watching the sci-fi channel. what happened?

5.5
    i know i'm probably in the minority, but i don't like the way it feels like it's going. i watch because i love the original castaways and their issues. i'm not sure how i feel about time-space differentials, secret missions to stop the killer gas (c'mon, be honest, it was kinda corny) and all that jazz. i'm more interested in who gets off the island, and why, not the boat people and what they're doing. i wish now and then they would just tell you something up front, just to be different. i love the mysterious aspect of the show, but the constant jumping around episode to episode would be a little more palpable if we had some idea what one of the groups is really up to. what's up with desmond and sayid? what's their plan on the boat? who is ben's man on the boat? i'm not surprised they didn't tell us, that would be way too cool of them. what's the deal with locke? and why are the people with him putting up with him? i think the writers and producers are getting a little 'lost' in where they're taking the series. if you think i'm stupid and don't get it, go to abc.com and re-watch some episodes from season one, and see how different the tone is, it's more of a character-driven drama, as opposed to a sci-fi mystery. oh well...
  • Talk about a major step down

Well, they can't all be like 'The Constant'. There is a tendency to rank this episode as one of the most disappointing and confusing of the series, and in many ways, that's an accurate description. Yet despite all that, this one seems a little more grounded than the weaker episodes of the first three seasons, and it gives a more accurate description of Juliet then we get for much of Season 4.

In my mind, one of the bigger disappointments of Lost is that after Juliet's betrayal of the Others in Season 3, we never see any confrontation between the two. However, in this episode, we get a better idea as to some of the backstory between the two, and it's pretty interesting. It appears that even though the Others recruited her, Ben seemed to take an almost predatory interest in her from the beginning. We know from 'One of Us' that Juliet had a hard time on the island, and now we realize that Goodwin was one of the reasons that she was able to cope.

There's an interesting psychological construct for Juliet's behavior. In 'Not In Portland', we learned that she had divorced her husband Edmund, doubtless because he was an inveterate womanizer. Despite that, it took Edmund's (Other arranged) death for Juliet to break free of him. Now on the island, she becomes, well, 'The Other Woman' in Goodwin and Harper's marriage, and even though Harper tells her that there will be consequences if she continues with the affair, she keeps up with it, long afterwards. Juliet is not the kind of woman who can end relationship even when the consequences are horrible, not only for her, but for everyone else involved.

It's her relationship with Ben that is the most thorny. He has an obsessive relationship with her from the beginning, and now we realize it was his idea of romance. But Ben is so contorted that he can not express things openly, and so manipulative that he seems to pull strings on people even when he's nowhere near any of them. Even though Goodwin was a loyal soldier, and there were apt reasons for getting him out as a spy with the tail section, he did it anyway to punish Juliet. And now, even though he's still locked up on the other side of the island, he still has the capability (through Harper) to move her.

Unfortunately, the whole quest for the Tempest station (yet another project for the Dharma Initiative) does seem a bit more like a MacGuffin than anything really related to the world of Lost. It seems super complicated to send Daniel and Charlotte all the way to the island to turn off the gas that could end up killing everyone on the island. We know that Ben has probably used it before (no doubt, this is where the gas for the Dharma Purge came from), but why would he use it now, if he was in captivity. It does seem as something more of an exercise than any other part of the season, especially when we learn that Ben is supposedly on the side of the angels this time. (And if you believe that one, I've got some beachfront property in Otherton to sell you)

The more interesting part of the episode (and what makes it impossible to completely dismiss) is what's happening between Ben and Locke in the Others camp. Locke's leadership is obviously starting to fray, especially if someone as innocuous as Claire is starting to have serious doubts about his leadership. Ben (who knows firsthand what it's like when your underlings start revolting) finally agrees to tell Locke what he knows about the people on the freighter. (Curiously enough, his main source of information is found on a tape labeled 'Red Sox'. Was this Ben's favorite team? Or was he just pissed that the Yankees beat them?)

The face of the enemy is a familiar one-- Charles Widmore. We've already known from all of Desmond's flashbacks what a piece of work this man is, and we've been able to intuit from little bits of data fed to us in those flashbacks, that he probably knows something about the island.. Now Ben says that he's determined to possess it, but claims ignorance as to why. This is another of Ben's great tricks--- hiding lies in truth. He claims to have no idea what Widmore is planning, but we shall learn--- a lot sooner than we think---- that he knows exactly who he is and what his connection to the island is. We'll soon see how ruthless he is, and that there may be a potential chess match being set up between these two devious personalities.

This is episode also brings about Kate returning to the beach after Locke threw her out. (It's unclear why it took her and Sayid less than a day to get to the bunkers, but apparently two to come back.) This reopens the triangle (or rectangle) that seems to be developing between Kate, Juliet and Jack. It's been less than a week since Jack told Kate that he was in love with her, and now here he is making goo-goo eyes at Juliet, holding her in his arms, etc. I've already stated that I have no real position between who ends up with who in this particular tangle, and quite frankly it seems more than a little presumptuous to be dealing with it now that rescue seems to be coming.

While the Juliet part of this episode is ultimately not as strong as many of the others, it does once again reveal how masterful a manipulator Ben is. He makes Goodwin go to the tail section even though he knows there's danger; he takes position of the children in that section even though there are objections; he makes Harper go out and send Juliet on another bombing run, and now he's finally manage to manipulate himself out of his prison at Otherton. When Harper tells Juliet at the beginning of the episode that "Ben is exactly where he needs to be", I have little doubt of that. The question is, now that we know who the enemy is, does this make Ben into one of the good guys that he has always claimed to be a part of? I don't believe it for a minute, but then again, I'm not on the island.
    My score:6
  • Did we really need this subplot?

Following up an episode that instantly becomes recognized as a classic is never easy for a series. It's even harder when the season is transitioning to the next phase. Had this been an episode from the first few seasons (this is the first episode this season to have traditional flashbacks from one character) it'd be easier to forgive, but this doesn't mesh as well with the resolve the writers have had this season. While previous episodes have had major reveals, this one just feels forced and sloppy.

Juliet was the sympathetic doorway into the lives of The Others. Since that society has been largely obliterated, Juliet now needs a new direction. So they branch out her character by introducing Harper, an Other who despite being married to Goodwin hasn't been seen, heard or referred to before. It also changes the context of her relationship with Goodwin, making it an affair rather than something open (which would've been the way to go considering there isn't much place for privacy in their group). Suddenly The Barracks feel an awful lot like Wisteria Lane.

The decision to add this element of Juliet as "the other woman", while it has multiple meanings (her affair, her involvement with Jack and being a female Other), is too melodramatic and seeks to define Juliet more by her romances than anything else. This has been a big problem with Kate since her second centric episode. However, Juliet has been well acted and written before, so this may be a bump in the road while the writers craft the next phase for her.

This episode also confirms that Ben had Goodwin killed for getting close to Juliet. Of course that begs the question how did he know that Goodwin would die on such a mission. It could be a good guess, or maybe Ben is far more astute than we give him credit for. Ben might've known Goodwin would become Ana-Lucia's right hand despite Ben's command not to get involved and leave after they took all people on the list. Many have wondered what Ethan did to have him sent away. It's possible he was thrown in to deflect suspicion that Goodwin was marked.

Michael Emerson, as many have claimed, steals the episode. We see another side of him, the love sick puppy that can't handle a crush. Some may think that diminishes Ben's image as a character, but it's clear he isn't about to hoist a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel anytime soon. He's a control freak, so he's prone to be jealous. Add his sense of power the island gives him and it's scary. His declaration "You're mine" makes the soap opera antics before far more bearable.

Considering how everything not spelled out to viewers becomes a source of speculation, I was rather naïve to believe that Harper's remark that Juliet looked like a woman from Ben's past referred to anyone besides Ben's mother. Some thought it wasn't because she died when he was born, but that there had to be pictures of her around. It could be Annie, but she had dark hair when Ben first met her. Ben's flashback showed his mother and her death played a major role in his development. Annie, while a friend for some time, is still a major mystery. His mother's death caused his alcoholic father to heap years of psychological abuse upon him. Later, seeing her would start the chain of events that lead him to the top of The Others.

Of all the unanswered questions about The Others, another love triangle was the wrong thing to introduce. Why not give us more details on how The Others were between the crash and when they became a bigger presence late in the second season? From that umbrella period they could explore a lot of elements they didn't get to last season. They could've even done more with the chemical burn Goodwin had. Of course, they may be saving the big reveals for the next Ben episode, but there's still plenty of room for Juliet to answer some long asked questions.

There is the question of how Ben, who has been in the castaways custody for a few days on the island, found out about which freighties were going on the mission and sent one of The Others to get Juliet to kill them. This was likely a back up plan we never saw when Ben left The Others to negotiate with the castaways. If he didn't return after a certain number of days, they would set off The Tempest's gas. Perhaps Ben sent his people to The Temple because they can control the gas or be safe from it. There are also the whispers, which may be his method of communicating should he not be able to otherwise.

The big problem of the episode is that the conflict exists entirely from the characters not disclosing things they should. Why would Daniel and Charlotte not disclose to the castaways that they were rendering the gas inert? It's unlikely anyone, not even Locke, would object to that mission. Also why do they knock out Kate (perhaps the better question would be why would she turn her back on one of them after catching them in a lie)? This may make more sense later as they describe the freighter's intentions.

Claire's request to question Miles is another jarring out of character moment. She has never been one of the leaders of the camp, so why is she suddenly being proactive in how they handle the Miles (who as far as we know still has that grenade in his mouth) situation? Perhaps this is representative of the lack of ideas the writers have for her without Charlie.

Ben continues to play Locke, but this time he has more than just mind games to back up his argument for freedom. This is executed the way the main plot should have. Ben and Locke's story comes from their established behaviors and not them behaving in a way solely to move the story. Ben manipulates everyone while Locke, trying to maintain a leadership role, remains susceptible to anyone who is somewhat convincing.

Widmore's role in the island mythology gets pushed further with the videotape of him pulverizing Ben's inside man (presumed a different man than the one on the boat). Considering what we know, especially from last week, Ben's assertion that Widmore desperately wants to get to the island makes sense. Purchasing the journal was the first step. It's long been theorized that Widmore used Desmond and exploited Penelope's love for him to find the island as well. Ben, of course, would be a major player to eliminate if he wanted to exploit the island as Ben believes.

With Widmore preparing for "war" with Ben (a "war" Juliet believes Ben will win) Jack prepares to stand by Juliet. This does play into the flashbacks for why she'd be concerned about that choice. However, this may ironically spell doom for her. Jack gets off the island and eventually finds himself in a deep dark depression over leaving the island. Perhaps Juliet's eventual demise is one of the things he's guilt-ridden over. It would also explain Ben and Sayid's crusade against those responsible.

Again we're teased with the identity of Ben's inside man, which is further frustrating if it turns out to be Michael as speculated. However, it may be interesting if it's Walt. Locke has loyalties to Walt, so Ben convincing Locke that he sent Walt to help the island might have been what bought Ben the right to roam freely. Of course, it's expected to believe that it's a lie, but maybe whatever he told Locke was right?

Following the string of solid or knock out episodes, this one is a mess. The back story for The Others offered more soapy gossip than major reveals, although the pay off was satisfying. Hopefully when the next stage of the season begins this will even out, and considering the first five episodes, the good will should be far from spent.
  • Just a bit too clever for its own good, or a massive misstep?

Under normal circumstances, an episode centered on Juliet would be a welcome prospect. Even more so, an episode written by Drew Goddard. Goddard has a history of using flashbacks as a tool for connecting continuity dots, and Juliet rivals Ben in terms of sheer manipulative power. One could argue that Juliet was one of the few people with the ability to counter Ben at his own game.

Unfortunately, the premise of this episode detracts from the promise of a strong writer and a compelling focal character. In previous episodes, Juliet's history had been fairly straightforward. Juliet had been held on the island against her will by Ben, who was more than happy to apply any means to convince her that the island was her place in the world. Goodwin, her lover and source of comfort, had been killed in the attempt to monitor and control Ana Lucia. Creating a love polygon adds nothing to that.

Ben has never been particularly pleased with Juliet's stubborn independent streak, and he has done horrible things to keep her in line. Previous episodes have suggested Ben's possible attraction to her, but the context was always within his usual range of emotional control. It seems against his character to make blatant moves to romance Juliet or place one of his own in mortal peril for standing in his way.

Instead, Ben's sense of possession is about control. Ben brought Juliet to the island to resolve the reproductive problems. As long as she feels obligation or satisfaction outside of that goal, Ben is displeased. The emergence of his cancer is indicative of this; for a time, her skills were otherwise applied to manipulating Jack into saving Ben's life.

The question is: did Ben send Goodwin to the AnaLucia Tribe because he was the best man for the job, or because it would give him an opportunity to eliminate a distraction for Juliet? It may be both, though not in the extreme. Harper's warning may come down to simply this: Ben will do what is best for Ben. In other words, romantic notions aside, Ben needs Juliet in line more than he needs Goodwin.

So why would Juliet, knowing Ben as well as she does, think that he would make decisions based on romantic underpinnings? He wouldn't have sent Juliet to seduce and confound Jack and prepare Sun and Kate for abduction if he was that concerned about keeping her to himself. Instead, it seems far more likely that Juliet's interpretation of past events was altered by her encounter with "Harper", her new mission, and lingering doubts about her role in Jack's life.

"Harper" was most likely Jacob and/or the "smoke monster" (though there is reason to believe they are one and the same, or operate in tandem). By apparently appearing on Ben's behalf, with Ben "being where he wants to be", "Harper" triggers the thought in Juliet that it has been about Ben's desire to possess her personally. Her mind plays out the evidence that could support that possibility.

Far more likely, "Harper" is aware that Juliet has no concept of Jacob's ability to change appearance or Cerberus' ability to take on the form of familiar faces. So orders from on high would mean nothing to her. Orders from Ben, however, reinforced by a sudden rush of guilt and directed awareness, are all too familiar. The last thing "Harper" wants is the deactivation of the Tempest system, since it was already found useful in eliminating one threat to the island during the Purge of the Dharma Initiative.

Juliet's mindset is further influenced when Jack finds Kate. "Harper" forces Juliet to consider that Ben killed Goodwin to assert his control over her life. She was the "other woman" who stole Goodwin from Harper, and from a certain point of view, she has found herself in the role of "other woman" stealing Jack from Kate. It doesn't matter if it's true; what matters is that the thought triggered by this analogy is "Ben gets what he wants, by any means necessary".

Juliet's conversation with Jack at the end appears to be her bid for independence, moderating by fear of the consequences. Yet Juliet has always been willing to cross Ben to her own advantage, so that doesn't quite add up. Given Juliet's history, it's far more likely that she is taking firm control over her destiny, especially in the wake of seeing the truth behind Ben's supposed goal for killing Daniel and Charlotte. Jack has a track record when it comes to defying Ben. Why not make it seem like his choice?

It all seems rather unnecessarily complicated to interpret the episode in such a manner, but it feels more consistent than the idea that Juliet is Ben's weakness and object of obsession. It also feels more consistent with the portrayal of Ben with Locke in the "present". Ben has always been very good at getting what he wants, and he plays whatever role is necessary to ensure it. He gains freedom (and therefore the ability to regain control) by handing Locke the impression of control.

It's no surprise that the "rescue party" was sent by Charles Widmore. That writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Whether or not Ben's explanation for Widmore's interest in the island is entirely accurate is another question. Widmore would know about the aspects of the island available for exploitation from his connection to Hanso and, by extension, the Dharma Initiative data. So while Ben's explanation is generally reasonable, it's vague nature suggests a very specific hidden truth.

As far as the man on the boat is concerned, all the evidence is now pointing to Michael. Never mind that the conclusion is supported by endless press releases; it fits perfectly into Ben's form of manipulation. Ben would have known about the threat posed by Widmore for years, and if Michael and Walt had returned to the real world in any public manner, the news would have spread quickly. Since the world still believes Oceanic 815 went down with all passengers, Michael and Walt either never left the island (unlikely) or were sent to a location where Ben's people could pick them up and manipulate them further.

Ultimately, this episode appears to present a number of contradictions, even as it attempts to slide into the established continuity. Those contradictions can be resolved, but it relies on a level of manipulation from Ben, "Harper", and Juliet (within and without) to make sense. If future episodes fall in line with the manipulation theory, then this is simply a case of overselling a concept and falling short of storytelling goals. If not, and this is a shift in the characterization of Ben and Juliet's complicated history, then it would be a massive self-inflicted wound.
  • Like said before, a very disappointing episode. Last week especially with Desmond's time-travel.. THAT is an episode. This filler-crap was promised to be removed.

Informing us how Ben used to spread the gas over the island in The Tempest isnt thát interesting to know, it's even so boring.. that Julliete doesnt even bother to explain what it is (and Jack doesnt ask.. he just.. ignores that. Oh wait, he never does that..) and she just runs there.. all of a sudden all these facilities pop up that were never found after months of exploring..now within a day they get there? uhuh.. Sorry if this seems more like rambling than an actual review, that's because it's not a real review. I don't feel like i should pretend i know it all and tell them what they're doing wrong. Because it still remains a good show, i just wish they would cut down to the core-story..
  • The type of episode, that only one or two good scenes barely save an episode!!!

6.3
    Plot Details/Objective -» Every character have their share of participation in Lost, don´t matter if they are not an strong character. This time was about revealing more about Juliet past, which I thought to be a unnecessary thing to Know right now (season 3 was more suitable for this, since we already Know what was essential, this flashbacks just prove this. After they made the episode, they Knew this focus on Juliet Past and Present weren´t enough, so what they did. They put Ben in Revealing mode.

What I Like/Disliked -» I think that Juliet Flashbacks was very forced, the add about Ben being possessive is strange and was just to make Story. The Island focus was poor, again the writers utilized 2 of the new Characters to make a mission for Juliet and Jack, also Kate. Ben and Locke Interaction was better, wasn´t expecting that Ben would Reveal anything. This is why I liked the ending, was funny.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Simply Poor, a flashbacks about Juliet with a therapist.

Complication Phase -» (5/10) I mean, you can notice from the beginning that Dan is not a bad guy, his actions wasn´t enough to be suspected and to thought that they were trying to kill anyone. Very poorly done.

Climax -» (6/10). Juliet with a Gun, and a misunderstood that put everyone life in Danger isn´t interesting.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). The ending was great, one of the highlights of this episode and one of the Key moments.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). There were some people that Liked Juliet flashbacks, but I already Know that we have super fans and Fans that are looking for quality and I guarantee, this flashbacks was forced and is unnecessary to see this one.

Time and Scenes Management -» (5/10). It is hard to not notice that Juliet Flashbacks was forced and her present situation was only a filler adventure. Ben and Locke Scenes was necessary for the future events on the Island.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Apart from Ben and Locke, other dialogues was there to buy time.

Action /Adventure -» (4/10). It seems that type of movies that the producers have to put something predictable and unnecessary to make fans feel bored.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). Juliet acting is good, the same for Ben, but more than this, this episode couldn´t deliver that type of emotional scenes that can make you feel sorry or cry.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Weak and predictable, nobody would die, so…

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). Ben make a revelation and a hint that maybe is not telling all the truth.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending is funny and intriguing,
    Thoughts Changer -» None.

The type of episode, that only one or two good scenes barely save an episode.
  • This should've been in season 3 instead of season 4.

6.6
    It has been hinted in the mobisode "The Envelope" that Ben has feelings towards Juliet. Heck, even in season 3 episode 2: they share an awkward moment as Juliet gives Jack soup (Ben to Juliet, smiling): "you never made me soup".

However, bringing up this matter right at the middle of the season the Oceanic Six is supposed to leave the island AND right after an episode where we got an explanation to Desmond's time travel and Desmond and Penny, the most epic couple ever contacted eachother, was a grave mistake. The episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either, mostly because of it's awkward placement.

The island plot was laughable, actually. Okay, so... Dan and Charlotte head off to a previously unseen Dharma station called "The Tempest" to release some sort of nerve gas that could kill everyone on the island(including Ben). So Juliet, all alone, goes ahead to kill both of them, as Harper Stanhope ordered(who claims to have these orders from Ben).

Not only does this SOUND really stupid, it is. First of all: how can Juliet can be so naive? Secondly: the flashforwards already revealed that Ben, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, etc would live. So there was zero suspense. And finally. What does this has to do with anything?

Not much of a surprise that Dan and Charlotte just wanted to neutralize the gas so Ben wouldn't be able to release it. This is what I call fake drama... Why couldn't Dan and Charlotte just TELL Jack what they would do? this would've made him trust them more, which is very important at this point, I think. After a series of laughable "action" scenes the characters finally stop acting like monkeys and actually discuss what's going on... and it's all crowned with Jack and Juliet kissing, which was good, but god, that dialouge they had there was HORRIBLE. Juliet claims that Ben owns her and that he would kill Jack because he's with her. WHAT? Okay, we see that, in the flashbacks, Ben was really that maniac. But in present time, NO! We've seen Ben treat Juliet like crap in season 3 - he is obviously over her!

Speaking of which.. the flashbacks saved the episode. They added a new side of Ben and explained why Goodwin had to stick around for so long. Basically, Ben was in love and so was Goodwin; but since Ben has the power to control people, he forced Goodwin to stay with Ana and end up killed so he can "get" Juliet. Loved the "YOU ARE MINE" scene, easily the best moment of the episode. Michael Emerson did an excellent job and so did Elizabeth Mitchell - but strictly in the flashbacks.

I mean, as I said before, Juliet's island storyline was laughable. But Ben's brief storyline was probably even worse. He talks his way out of captivity and shows John a recording which shows that Charles Widmore is behind the freighter. That's OK - but the whole thing just felt really poorly executed. It's a big reveal after all, but it didn't feel like one.

Thank god for the last scene - hilarious. It showed that Ben Linus can get exactly what he wants - anytime. But that doesn't save this episode.

Verdict: Island plot: 5/10, Flashback: 8/10, Overall: around 6.5, well below the Lost average.
  • Juliet heads off to the Tempest, and flashbacks reveal stuff we already knew. (Spoiler Alert!)

Summary: After Dan and Charlotte head off to the Tempest, Juliet follows them at Ben's wishes. Ben plays mind games with Locke. Flashbacks reveal soap oprah-y stuff. Pros: Ben not only owns Juliet, he owns this entire episode. He was probaly the only good thng that came out of the entire episode. Cons: Juliet's flashes don't reveal much, which is sad because Juliet was a good charater in season 3. And also the Tempest seemslike one of those plot points that will never be brought up again. Overall: This should've been a Ben flashback, but instead Juliet takes center stage. A bad episode only because it reveals nothing.
  • Nothing much happened other than we learned more about Juliet.

Charlotte and Daniel go to one of the many stations scattered around the island and work to stop the gas which Ben used to kill members of the Dharma initiative from ever hurting anyone else. Well so we think. With Lost you never know what characters to trust. Juliette is approached by an unexpected guest and told to stop Charlotte and Daniel from doing this, and she and Jack go after them.

Not much happened in this episode. It was sort of filler in my opinion, but we did learn more about Juliete and her weird relationship with Ben. There is a small twist at the end, and we also learn who the boat belongs to. However, the big reveal wasn't surprising at all because I think we all suspected it.

Not one of the better episodes of the season, but it wasn't bad either. It doesn't compare to last week's episode THe Constant, but I've seen worse in other seasons.
  • Interesting setup but the first real slow-moving piece of the season.

So who is the "Other Woman" Juliet at first when she is the woman with whom Goodwin is having affair. Then it becomes Ben as he claims Juliet as his but has to compete with Goodwin. Now has it become Jack? I agree with another reviewer when I state that Ben's obsession with Juliet is linked very closely to her research and not to a sexual or romantic interest in her. Ben's obsession with the fertility study stems from his own mother's death and very possibly has a traumatic effect on the situation on the island. In the end, I'm not really sure it matters.

There seemed to be several scenes in this episode that not only dragged but were pointless. The music, while supposed to augment drama and tension, almost made it painfully obvious that the scene was going nowhere. For example, Juliet treating Goodwin's chemical burn, which most likely came from his work with the chemicals at the Orchid station. This was all but revealed later in the episode, as was the Ben-Juliet-Goodwin triangle, making the first scene superfluous. Then there are situations that are interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling. To an extent, I enjoyed having to decide whether to root for Juliet or for Daniel and Charlotte. After "The Constant" Daniel seems legit. After this episode, Charlotte seems like a brute. And honestly, after "Eggtown," Juliet seems like the most intelligent female character on the show. But I had suspected that the gas at the Orchid station was a threat only if Ben chose to use it as a last resort defense. Daniel's "rendering the gas inert" seemed contrived but whatever. I would not be disappointed if this is really what he did and we never returned to this plot. What does matter in this episode is Locke's uneasy role as the leader. He was much better when he could selflessly contribute to the tribe, whether it was pork meat or shamanistic advice. Now he is in a position where his interests conflict with those in his tribe. He is also still easily manipulated, which risks the rest of the tribe. What is made clear by the final scene is that Locke needs Sawyer. Just as he needed him in "The Brig." This was neatly foreshadowed in "Eggtown" when Sawyer discusses the role of "sheep" in their tribe. Locke needs Sawyer's stubbornness and Sawyer's slowly developing sense of belonging. Together, the two could, and possibly will, protect their group and the island. And they could do it without the assistance of Ben and his bottomless deck of trump cards. This is why Jack should have listened to his own advice and not trusted Ben with anyone but himself. Jack's role has really been diminished lately as he fumbles around trying to get the phone to work and trying to get people to listen to him while he quietly second guesses himself. Jin's response to Jack's questioning of why he let Daniel and Charlotte slip off into the jungle was hilarious. I think it was meant to be sarcastic. Kind of like when your boss tells you to do something that you know is wrong and is only going to cause more work and problems later, but you have to do it anyway. Then when those problems do arise, you have to remind her or him what caused them in the first place. Comedy. What this episode does (intentionally) well is tell a stand alone story. This has been a strength of this season. The mysteries are slowly coming together one episode at a time. Hopefully when the writers will implement a multi-part arc later this season. If so, it will be all the more effective due to these first few episodes. But overall, this story moved a bit too slowly.
  • good but for me kinda sad...

7.2
    i thought that this episode was good but i was really disapointed that jack kissed juliet, i hate her and i hate her with jack, he belongs with kate! oh well hopefully he,ll come to his sencees soon. i wasnt shocked though when it was about her i figured that some thing would happen. hopefully the next episode will be good it looked good. i love this show but i fing it sad that kate and jack have only kissed once and juliet and him have kissed twice!!! i men its really sad for us jate fans. even if jack and juliet do become a couple i'll still have hope for kate and jack will be together!!! ;)
  • no spoilfowards! weeeee!! but another episode where they made kate into a silly character.

the old kate would never turn her back on charlotte. that scene was incredibly stupid. they should have figured out a different way for that to happen. it was dumb. so charlotte is turning out to be quite a violent woman. she knocked kate out & then fought with juliet. i'm glad that juliet is still tough & that her relationship with jack is not fake but genuine. unfortunately thanks to the spoilfowards we know he won't forget about kate & pursue something with juliet. it's too bad as they have more in common with each other & do really well together. this episode seemed rushed with the introduction of the harper, the tempest & how quickly they were nullified. it's too bad that the gas is gone now because it could have been used against the boat people. it was an ok episode, but it didn't really expand on juliet, except maybe when she admitted to jack how she feels about him.
  • Average episode of lost. Nothing to speicla. alot of jealously.

7.6
    Bravo! Charlotte and Faraday sneak out from the camping and Jack and Juliet chase them. The former therapist of Juliet and one of The Others, Harper, meets her in the woods and gives a message from Ben, telling that the fugitives are heading to a plant to release gas in the island and kill them. Charlotte and Faraday stumble in Kate and she sees gas masks in Faraday's backpack, but she is hit in the head by Charlotte and faints. Meanwhile, Juliet recalls her passion for Harper's husband and the jealousy of Ben.

"The Other Woman" is another weak episode of this terrible Fourth Season, and the great loss of audience in this series proves that there are other viewers with the same opinion as mine. The mystery and thriller of the series now is shifted to an unnecessary quartet of love like in a soap opera. With regard to the important plot of the episode, if Charlotte and Faraday have good intentions, why sneaking out from Jack's camp and hit Kate? Why not telling the truth to Jack and Kate and resolve the menace with their support?
  • Drama and more drama! and nothing really to add to the story!

7.7
    This episode really didn't have much to add to add to the story. More questions arise and no answers really. However we do get to see more drama and pointless, filler stories that keep everyone intrigued enough to not get pist off that they're not really revealing anything new. Although I do gotta say, this season has been way better than last, and they're style of going from one episode to the next has improved significantly. They actually continue the next episode where they left off last. Anyway, this episode didn't really have much to offer, hopefully it'll get better.
  • A somewhat informative filler episode. Mainly character development based with some answers regarding the islands new inhabitants.

This wasn't the worst episode in the world, but having to premiere after last weeks episode "The Constant," made this episode seem boring and uninteresting. This episode reveals some of the secrets of the island as well as looks further into Juliet's --and Ben's--characters. Unfortunately, I found the love story somewhat boring compared to the action, adventure, and mystery I have come to expect from LOST. That aside we learn a few important details about the newcomers to the island. We learn who, potentially, is in charge of the boat as well as a little bit about the relationship between Ben, Juliet, and oddly enough, Jack. We also learn about a new station on the island. All of these new tidbits are mixed into a flashback storytelling style revealing Juliet's love affair with Goodwin. Not my cup of tea, but this was still a well made episode. An example of this is how well new characters were worked into old footage and story lines.
  • Juliet flashback shows she's a woman in the middle and played like a fiddle. And Locke is manipulated too.

Here we go with a Juliet story present and past, her life on the island as a new Other is shown. A third in a love triangle, or is it quad? Other-ville turns out to have been a bit of a soap-opera central. And like a daily soap, this episode is full of terse, cryptic dialog,c'mon, people actually talk in more than two sentence converstions, a minor story is told, and supposed to leave the viewer tuning in next time. This was a very average episode, lacking in spark or wit. Locke's character disappoints, the growth of Ben as an omnipotent mastermind is becoming unbelievable.
< 1 2 3