Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• Juliet-centric episode doesn't do much to advance the plot per se, but we do learn a lot about her & Ben's relationship and get to see some solid acting all around

Alright, first and foremost, let me say that nothing that happened this week--short of rescue--could have possibly topped last week's moment between Penny and Desmond.

That being said, it was with trepidation that I watched this week as it had all the makings of a let-down episode.

Thankfully, that didn't happen.

While this episode didn't really do much to advance the plot--short of Dan and Charlotte stopping the gas and us finding out who is Ben's direct enemy--it did provide some interesting things to reflect on.

So our boy Ben's got a crush does he? This episode was cool in the way it kind of threw a new twist on some of the events we've already seen take place, and you've got to love the should we trust her/should we not trust her thing they've got going with Juliet's character.

Ben strikes a deal to get free, which is kind of like watching one of those really dumb people in a horror movie go into the dark quiet room. We know this isn't going to end well, but hey, it's a fun ride right?

Something strikes me about Juliet. The more i think about, the more I doubt she'll make it to the finale. Something just tells me she's going to never get off the island, and i mean that in a Paola/Niki sort of way.

Still, with only two weeks left until the big "jaw-dropper", this episode was solid enough to justify spending an hour watching yet not strong enough that my desire to see more has waned. OUT!
  • The plot thickens...

Finally! After a few lackluster episodes, it appears that good old Lost is back. "The Other Woman" is a classic example of Lost, with plenty of action and revelations from the get go. The episode starts strong and never let up the pace and tension, combining exciting sequences with well written dialogue and interesting revelations concerning the nature of the freighter.

Basically, Juliet is tasked by Ben to find Daniel and Charlotte and stop them from doing whatever they're doing. In the process, we are introduced to a new station, The Tempest, and given insight into who owns the boat, who is trying to find the island. The answer makes a nice connection between other episodes, in my opinion. Also, the flashbacks actually make sense in this one, and also contain some throwbacks to season two.

Overall, "The Other Woman" marks a return to form for Lost, with a brilliantly balanced episode which is marred only by a sort of cop-out at the end. I think that an ending which fit in better with the "no mercy" tone (i.e., Juliet completing her mission) would have been nice. But, I suppose, we can't get too many answers in one episode. Keep up the good work, Lost.
  • the "loving" side of Ben

Well that was a very interesting episode. We got to see plenty of others and how they plan things out, it's so cool to see how they live and work. Once again we get a few answers and have to ask more questions. We learned Ben has a huge crush on Juliet and Jack ain't scared of Ben. Michael Emerson is so good at being Ben it's scary. I love when he was all dreamy eyed for Juliet in this episode. Him trying to touch her by the microscope and woo her with dinner was too good. Then to see how quickly he turns on her and leaves Goodwin out to die is freaky. He is very dictator-ish the way he runs things.
  • Great episode. It felt like the "old" Lost again.

After last week's episode (which wasn't one of my favorites because of the whole "time travel" thing.), I was very satisfied with this one. Plus the fact that this season so far has been moving at a very fast pace, it was nice to have a bit of a "breather" for a change.

To get the negative out of the way first.... I wasn't thrilled with the gas storyline. If there had been insinuations about it through out the show, or even just the season, it might have been different. But it just seemed to appear out of nowhere in this episode.

Juliet's flashback was very well done. It was like the ones in season 1. It didn't directly move the Island plot along, but it did provide good information on here and her relationships with and to those in her camp, especially Goodwin. Nice to see him in the show again. And for me it raises questions about Ethan. Did Ben see him as a threat to his 'relationship' with Juliet too?
    But at least we finally get to know who the real owner of Not Penny's Boat is, and the common enemy to Ben, the Others, Locke, and everyone else on the island is.
  • This episode gave me the creeps. Ben is officially the creepiest villain on TV!

A lot of creepiness going on...we take a classic flashback back to Juliet's arrival on the island and adjusting to life there. The flashback story consisted of providing a greater depth to her 'fling' with Goodwin (which we saw briefly in another Juliet episode). The two hit it off pretty well, except Goodwin's married to this Other we meet for the first time and she is pretty creepy herself.

But perhaps the creepiest thing about this episode...Ben's romantic obsession with Juliet. You would think after watching many endless scenes with the two of them together that you would think that there was no romantic conflicting issues between them. Perhaps this was something that the writers didnt think about doing until now. When the creepy jealous wife of Goodwin told Juliet that she reminded Ben or "her" I was thinking Annie, anyone else?

I knew Ben would have to break the news to her about Goodwin's death but to bring her to his rotting corpse?! That is just disturbing and yet so Ben like!

Ben is truly a creepy and now very disturbing villain. I kinda like it all twisted that way.
  • No even near the standards of last week episode but it was still worth the watch.

What can i say about this epsiode?

Eventhough this episode wasn't as exciting as last weeks, they reviewed more answers than the previous. what i've gathered so far from this episode is that

1. Julliet received a visit from Goodwin's wife. Before she appeared and disappeared you could hear the same whispers as when Jacob/concious/blacksmoke appears. She delivered a message from Ben. In the Conditions Ben is currently in, there is no way he could have had contacts with his mates. this only leaves us to 2 options.
    Option 1 ---> Ben & Jacob are the same being if so then this probably the reason why Ben couldn't hear what Jacob said when he took Locke to Jacob's Cabin
    Option 2 ---> Jacob can see anyones movement on the island and is ready to kill anyone posing threats to it's domain

2. We now officially know that the secrets of the island has been passed on through the hanso's generations magnus --> alvar --> tovard. Jacob has defeated both Magnus(Black Rock) and Alvar(Dharma) and Tovard is keen in line to fulfil the family's legacy but due to lack of finance or personal selfish ambitions he has auctioned the family's secrets. Jacob is at war again and now he can't use his ultimate counter defense system. 3. We now know 3 of Daniel and the others main missions. x Capture Ben Alive any means necessary. (who better to give you information about the island is the leader of the island himself.
    x locate the exact location of the island (eventhough penny's dad has the coordinates, he cant find the island because of the magnetic field surrounding the island)
    x and disable the virus system (better safe than sorry0

There are a few questions i'm trying to figure out. 1. How come Henry is rich. for someone who was born and raised on the island (doesn't know the value of the dollar) and having a bum as a father, how does one process this amount of money.

2. how did daniel and the others know about the virus and where to find it. was this also in the diary if so this means that not all of the dharma group were eradicated.

3. Who is henry's mole on the ship. (I somehow think that Michael is the mole because of the last conversation between michael and henry):
    "Michael: How do you know I won't tell people about where I was?
    Henry: Maybe you will, maybe you won't. But it won't matter. Once you leave, you'll never be able to get back here. And my hunch is you won't say a word to anybody because if you do, people will find out what you did to get your son back."

I hope we get answers soon but i wouldn't count on next week's episode since is regarding Jin and Sun we might find out if sun's dad is working with penny's dad.
    See you next week.
  • This episode goes down in history as the 2nd worst (in Lost standards) episode, behind Jack's Stranger in a strange island ep, in Lost history. Producers promised us no fillers and yet we get this. Very disappointing!

I hate to say this but this was a very, very disappointing episode. I expected more especially since they cut down to 16 episodes and promised us no filler episodes and this felt like a filler. Also, with the previous 5 amazing episodes all featuring some sort of flash forward, I wasn't looking for a flashback. I know the writers said not all episodes would feature flash-forwards but the ones that featured a flash back would be more revealing and far more important than what we saw in this episode.

I could care less what was happening in Juliette's flashback and the Island present wasn't 'all that'
    Now if they revealed to us who Ben's mystery person is on the boat, then I would have been slightly pleased but they didn't even reveal that!

Worst episode in Lost history is episode 309 'Stranger in a strange island' and now 2nd worst is episode 406 'The other woman' (PLEASE no more filler episodes)
  • Like said before, a very disappointing episode. Last week especially with Desmond's time-travel.. THAT is an episode. This filler-crap was promised to be removed.

Informing us how Ben used to spread the gas over the island in The Tempest isnt thát interesting to know, it's even so boring.. that Julliete doesnt even bother to explain what it is (and Jack doesnt ask.. he just.. ignores that. Oh wait, he never does that..) and she just runs there.. all of a sudden all these facilities pop up that were never found after months of exploring..now within a day they get there? uhuh.. Sorry if this seems more like rambling than an actual review, that's because it's not a real review. I don't feel like i should pretend i know it all and tell them what they're doing wrong. Because it still remains a good show, i just wish they would cut down to the core-story..
  • More of Juliet's past is revealed and future events are set up in this interesting episode. (Spoilers)

The episode after "The Constant", many have had their eyes on this and it was likely that the quality of the previous episode would affect people's opinion of this one. "The Constant" set the bar higher for Lost episodes, so it must be realized that not every episode will get it 100% right like "The Constant" did. "The Other Woman" was an excellent episode with plenty of information and major character development.

Juliet is meeting with her therapist, Harper, who seems a little cold and kind of mean. The session is interrupted by Tom, who leads Juliet outside to find Ben who is greeting her with flowers in front of her new home. Ben explains that she is welcome and that her house has all the amenities, even though Juliet will only be there for six months...Juliet is later shown crying in the medical ward after one of her pregnant patients died, she is met by Goodwin who is looking for medical treatment.It is at this time that Goodwin reveals he is married to Harper, who Juliet had criticized in front of him. The two begin an affair, which Harper learns of and warns her to stop for Goodwin's sake, because Ben likes Juliet and could possibly harm Goodwin if he learned. Juliet then has dinner with an overly giddy (read: scary) Ben after the plane crashes. Juliet inquires about Goodwin who was sent on a mission, but Ben plays coyly with her. Ben later leads Juliet to Goodwin's corpse and harshly explains to Juliet that she is "his".

On the island, Daniel and Charlotte sneak off to carry out their plan which seems to involve gassing the people on the island. Jack and Juliet follow them, with Juliet being encountered by the whispers in the jungle and subsequently Harper herself. Harper tells Juliet that Ben wants her to kill Charlotte and Daniel, and that Ben is right where he needs to be. Jack encounters her too, but she vanishes without a trace. Daniel and Charlotte encounter Kate who sees that the light on Daniel's phone is on after Charlotte told them it was out of power, she also notices the HAZMAT suits and Gasmasks in Daniel's bag-Charlotte then knocks her out. Jack and Juliet find her, with Juliet running off to confront Daniel and Charlotte at the "Tempest" a Dharma power station. Juliet confronts Daniel who claims he is trying to make the gas inert in order to save everybody, she fights with Charlotte as she doesn't initially believe Daniel, but Daniel was being honest and saves everyone on the island. Charolotte and Daniel are held up at gunpoint by Kate, but Charlotte offers to take her inside and show her everything. Juliet reveals her feelings to Jack and how that Ben thinks that she (Juliet) is his (Ben) and that he would not be happy if they were together. Jack then kisses her (yes!!) and tells her Ben "knows where to find him"

At camp Locke, Claire tries to convice Locke to let her talk to Miles in order to find out "whose boat it is". Locke also strikes a deal with Ben, if he lets Ben live at the barracks, Ben will give him info. Ben shows Locke a tape of who is behind the people on the boat, and as many of us predicted (myself included) it was Charles Widmore! The episode ends with Hurley and Sawyer playing a friendly game of horseshoes when Ben walks by.

Juliet's backstory was interesting at times, and then just alright at times. It revealed more info and really enhanced her character dynamic. The beautiful Elizabeth Mitchell did a great job. Michael Emerson can do no wrong as Ben, we really learned much about his character. It was just frightening to see him act so giddy because he is in love with Juliet. The story revolving around Daniel, Charlotte, Jack, Juliet, and Kate was exciting and tense. The information that Ben provided to Locke was pretty good and promises more interesting events. It was great to see Jack and Juliet kiss, normally the romance stuff is hit or miss, but I like these two together.

Dialogue was good, plot was great, pacing was good, direction was very good, cinematography was excellent. Technically speaking, this episode was incredibly good. The story had some slow parts, but overall it was very entertaining.

Overall, great episode. Season 4 continues to be strong. I don't think many episodes can measure up to "The Constant", that isn't so much a comparison as it is a statement. This episode really set up future events and was devoted to character development, never a bad thing, it's role will be seen later, and it is likely to be a big setup to bigger events.
  • A dangerous mission to a new Dharma-Station, some interesting background story and a lot of character development. All in an old school episode of LOST.

Wow! How can so many people call this a filler-episode? "the other woman" is LOST how it used to be at the begining. Brilliant writing, tension everywhere and some of the best actiong in television. And it that wasn't enough, we get many definite answers. The Juliet story starts out slow but becomes thrilling when focuses more on Ben and we learn more about the intensions of both of them. On the way to a Dharma-station called "the tempist" we alo get a good idea of what Charlotte and Daniel are up to. But the highlights are the scenes with Ben and Locke. Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn are amazing actors and their characters are the most interesting ones on the island. They make a deal, which brings us the FINAL answer to a question we've been asking for a while.

But as I already wrote in a review a few weeks ago: It's not about the answers, but about storytelling and thrilling television. And that's exactly what we get here.
    In my eyes the best episode in the forth season yet!
  • It was eyeopening and character development but...

I really liked the Juliet story even thought I do not like her character. But the flashback was good and really opened the terrible and maybe little unknown part of Ben. So, more than on Juliet, it showed us who the Ben really is. And whatever deal he made with Locke - he is now walking around freely - Locke has just lost it's power.

So, if not to think that it was rather unique way via other char to upon Ben for us, what else did we got? That Penny's father is involved - I think it was somehow sure long ago as he just pop up here and there.. But that it is his boat... ok.. surprise.. but nothing too shocking or emotionally moving.. no close to the last week's episode. And how long are they going to play with "Who is your man on the boat"? I think we all have the idea...

And the way the Faraday's and that anthropologist - oh.. the only logical connection of that poison storyline what I could imagine is that this is the same poison that long ago killed most of Rousseau's team.. but how she survived if it was so contagious? (that also would explain little of those quarantine labels on hatch)
  • A superb, though not completetly flawless character driven episode.

I guess most of the negativity surrounding this episode is because of the previous episode, "The Constant". It just set the bar way too high - and it's obvious why can't "The Other Woman" live up to it: simply put, to have an episode like that again, there has to be a setup phase, and this episode enters that phase, but unlike most setup episodes, this one doesn't feel dull... no, far from dull. Using a setup / transitional episode as a character episode is not a new thing to Lost. Just think about "Par Avion". While this episode is a Juliet centric episode, it's more of a Ben/Juliet episode. We learn a new side of Ben, a side that I thought will never be touched upon. He had/has a crush on Juliet...

Ben as a lover - can it get any more awkward? The flashbacks were filled with awkward nailbiting scenes, very well done. Present time Ben finally revealed some secrets to Locke, earning his trust, proving himself to be useful - Ben is not a prisoner anymore.

While it's been speculated since season 2, it's nice to know finally that Charles Widmore is after the island, and it's his boat, not Penny's. I always love, that in Lost, to recreate a certain atmosphere in the flashback, the producers bring back characters who died - and even when they were alive, they had minor roles. That's why this episode we see Goodwin and Tom again, and was it great? It surely was!

As far as negativity goes, there isn't much. The build up to the Tempest was somewhat false and forced, but at least it gave motivation to the characters. A typical Drew Goddard episode too - lots of over the top dialouge that doesn't actually sound corny, and alot of twisted humor. Most memorable quote:

(Ben to Juliet)

You're mine.

Woah. Take that! Overall, superb episode, with more character mythology than island, but that's what Lost is ultimately all about. Kudos to Michael Emerson and Elizabeth Mitchell for delivering the best performances of the episode.
  • Forget The Constant and this would have been more appreciated

I dont get why people are so stupid sometimes and just rate episodes like this so low, just beacause it had a much stronger episode before it. One amazing thing about Lost is, that its character development goes as we learn more about a character. They dont actually change i present time. Here we learn about Juliet, although the important player was Ben. His reactions, his face covered with envy over Goodwin and his inner grief, was perfectly excecuted by Michael Emerson. Calling this a filler, is very harsh to say, it's like people decide their ratings by the endings/cliffhangers. The ending was a funny joke, with we had a few of this episode. And its not like it IS a filler, they revealed the boss of the Freighter people. Even though we all suspected it, we all had to see it on the show and not on a forum board. You should really appreciate this little epsiode as it has, A new Hatch, new revelations, drama, action and some jokes.
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with watch I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill everyone, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with what I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill the peeps on the island, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • i thought lost was a drama, and now i feel like i'm watching the sci-fi channel. what happened?

5.5
    i know i'm probably in the minority, but i don't like the way it feels like it's going. i watch because i love the original castaways and their issues. i'm not sure how i feel about time-space differentials, secret missions to stop the killer gas (c'mon, be honest, it was kinda corny) and all that jazz. i'm more interested in who gets off the island, and why, not the boat people and what they're doing. i wish now and then they would just tell you something up front, just to be different. i love the mysterious aspect of the show, but the constant jumping around episode to episode would be a little more palpable if we had some idea what one of the groups is really up to. what's up with desmond and sayid? what's their plan on the boat? who is ben's man on the boat? i'm not surprised they didn't tell us, that would be way too cool of them. what's the deal with locke? and why are the people with him putting up with him? i think the writers and producers are getting a little 'lost' in where they're taking the series. if you think i'm stupid and don't get it, go to abc.com and re-watch some episodes from season one, and see how different the tone is, it's more of a character-driven drama, as opposed to a sci-fi mystery. oh well...
  • Exellent episode !

This episode had some awesome parts that made me so
    crazy. The part was between Locke and Ben....

I was chocked when i heard that pennys father is
    looking for the Island so despertly. I realy wonder
    why he want the island so much? I never expected
    HIM of all people to be involved, maybe thats how
    penny knows a bit about the island when she said that
    to Desmond, a small connection that penny maybe
    found some files at her fathers office or something
    about the island. I wonder how he will act when he
    finds out that Desmond had found the Island before him.
    That would make pennys father feel he is not the first
    one to get there and sail around the world as he said.

So anyway, the biggest question is... who recorded
    that tape "Red Sox" ? Ben? or someone from his people?
    And what did realy happened when he said to Lock that he
    should sit down when he asked about "the man on his boat".

man i realy cant wait to see the continue of that part.
    Ben just walked out of the house like everything
    was fine and Locke accepted Ben telling the truth of something or what ever.
  • In an episode that would have seemed to fit better in season 3 than season 4, we learn more of Juliet's story on the island, of Ben's ability to manipulate and the man behind the freighter.

This was a strong episode but it pales in comparison to last week's brilliant epic. It also fell more in line with the plot/themes of Season 3, with the exception of Ben and Locke and the Charles Widmore reveal.

In the flashbacks, we learn that Juliet's relationship with Goodwyn was an affair. He was married to the group's therapist. Why a therapist? Juliet reveals that it is stressful to be an other. This is true, given that Ben manipulated everyone and has most people living in fear. He kept Juliet prisoner on the island because she is "his". She must remind him of someone from his past, possibly his mother or Annie or another woman. I believe that Ben's past lover got pregnant and died, adding yet another layer of torture to Ben's motives. Afterall, everything he does he does for the Island. The Island, so far, has treated him with an abusive father, haunting memories of his mother and possibly the death of his lover and unborn child. How does Ben react? Be sending Goodwyn on a death errand, courtesy of a revised flashback of the plane crash from Juliet's perspective. We also learn that Juliet has helped tail-section survivors integrate into the collective, mainly Zack and Emma. Juliet then is taken to visit her lover's dead body, who has recently been impaled by Ana-Lucia. In real-time, Jack and Juliet go in search of Daniel and Charlotte who, according to a vanishing Harper (Goodwyn's wife), are headed to the Tempest to recreate the purge. Juliet must kill them, as per Ben's instructions. This is the third person we've seen be ordered to kill on Ben's behalf. First Michael did it to release Ben from the hatch. Second, in a flashforward, we see Sayid murdering by way of orders from Ben. Now Juliet (who, as far as we know, has never killed anyone) is willing to go along and kill the newbies based on what Harper said Ben wants. But who is Harper? How did you rise the whispers and then vanish? Since we know the Monster communicates with Jacob and that is can also read people's memories, perhaps this wasn't actually Harper but the Monster. And the Monster is channelling Jacob (and Ben) to do its bidding. Why would the Monster want to protect the gas-action? Yet another good question.

Jack and Juliet run into Kate, who has been knocked out. As Jack tends to the woman he confesses his love to just a few days ago, Juliet runs to find Daniel and Charlotte about to release the gas in the Tempest station. Only they are not there to release the gas and kill everyone. Rather, they are there to prevent it from happening ever again. Yes, they know about the previous purge and they have ordered to make sure that Ben can't use this weapon again.

In the end, Juliet and Jack kiss. But over at the Barracks, Ben informs Locke that he's always got a plan. He says this as it is shown that Locke is without a plan and his people are questioning his wisdom, including sweet Claire. Ben then makes a deal with Locke. If Locke releases Ben back into the society he will reveal who is behind the freighter and who his man is on the boat. The audience learns that Penny's dad hired the boat and will stop at nothing to exploit the island's unique properties. Locke then learns the shocking identity of the man on the boat, although we (the audience) are not privy to this conversation. We are, however, smart enough to have figured it out. All bets are on Michael. In the end, Ben is at large. It is also revealed that Hurley is better than Sawyer at horseshoes, yet another game that Sawyer loses to Hurley.
  • Another Solid episode.

"See you guys at dinner!" That phrase was so funny. The whole last scene cracked me up, Sawyer and Hugo make such a great duo. How good is Michael Emerson? He just can`t stop getting better. The episode is an Juliet flashback(they did teased a flash forward at start). So no Flash forward, what does this mean for the chracter, it`s too early to say. But the flash back was none less interesting...revealing the one way love story of Ben and Juliet. I love it when Ben says that Juliet is his..smartest man of the island. We saw quite a different side of Ben in the episode.
    The big revelation is that Charles Widmore is the man for whom the people on the boat are working. Well it was theorized before and we got a hint in last episode, so can`t say it was an OMG moment. This surely means that Desmond will certainly remain a major character for a while.
    As for Ben`s spy...am 99% sure it`s Michael. It got to be him...but we never know with Lost.
    And oh....the love triangle stuff is now a love square (not sure about the term here) Juliet is in (would you believe that) and yeah Jack-Kate talking was the only boring moment of the episode.
    It was not a "The constant" standard episode but you can`t expect every episode to be like that. This Season is turning out to be a masterpiece and this was no road block.
  • Interesting setup but the first real slow-moving piece of the season.

So who is the "Other Woman" Juliet at first when she is the woman with whom Goodwin is having affair. Then it becomes Ben as he claims Juliet as his but has to compete with Goodwin. Now has it become Jack? I agree with another reviewer when I state that Ben's obsession with Juliet is linked very closely to her research and not to a sexual or romantic interest in her. Ben's obsession with the fertility study stems from his own mother's death and very possibly has a traumatic effect on the situation on the island. In the end, I'm not really sure it matters.

There seemed to be several scenes in this episode that not only dragged but were pointless. The music, while supposed to augment drama and tension, almost made it painfully obvious that the scene was going nowhere. For example, Juliet treating Goodwin's chemical burn, which most likely came from his work with the chemicals at the Orchid station. This was all but revealed later in the episode, as was the Ben-Juliet-Goodwin triangle, making the first scene superfluous. Then there are situations that are interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling. To an extent, I enjoyed having to decide whether to root for Juliet or for Daniel and Charlotte. After "The Constant" Daniel seems legit. After this episode, Charlotte seems like a brute. And honestly, after "Eggtown," Juliet seems like the most intelligent female character on the show. But I had suspected that the gas at the Orchid station was a threat only if Ben chose to use it as a last resort defense. Daniel's "rendering the gas inert" seemed contrived but whatever. I would not be disappointed if this is really what he did and we never returned to this plot. What does matter in this episode is Locke's uneasy role as the leader. He was much better when he could selflessly contribute to the tribe, whether it was pork meat or shamanistic advice. Now he is in a position where his interests conflict with those in his tribe. He is also still easily manipulated, which risks the rest of the tribe. What is made clear by the final scene is that Locke needs Sawyer. Just as he needed him in "The Brig." This was neatly foreshadowed in "Eggtown" when Sawyer discusses the role of "sheep" in their tribe. Locke needs Sawyer's stubbornness and Sawyer's slowly developing sense of belonging. Together, the two could, and possibly will, protect their group and the island. And they could do it without the assistance of Ben and his bottomless deck of trump cards. This is why Jack should have listened to his own advice and not trusted Ben with anyone but himself. Jack's role has really been diminished lately as he fumbles around trying to get the phone to work and trying to get people to listen to him while he quietly second guesses himself. Jin's response to Jack's questioning of why he let Daniel and Charlotte slip off into the jungle was hilarious. I think it was meant to be sarcastic. Kind of like when your boss tells you to do something that you know is wrong and is only going to cause more work and problems later, but you have to do it anyway. Then when those problems do arise, you have to remind her or him what caused them in the first place. Comedy. What this episode does (intentionally) well is tell a stand alone story. This has been a strength of this season. The mysteries are slowly coming together one episode at a time. Hopefully when the writers will implement a multi-part arc later this season. If so, it will be all the more effective due to these first few episodes. But overall, this story moved a bit too slowly.
  • Following last week's amazing episode, it was very hard to follow it up. This week's episode was less then last week for sure.

We found out some bits about Juliet's past in the island. But more importantly we found out more about Ben's persuasion of people. Somehow he can control Juliet and she almost killed Faraday and Charlotte because of her.

We also found out how Ben had a video of the owner of the freighter and we found out that it was Penelope's father. It looks like this is going to be an all out war between Ben and Penelope's father.

By the end of the episode Ben was free, thus this means that he has told Locke the name of his person on the freighter, even if it shocked him.
  • This episode was really cool and also shed a little bit more into the life of the others and especially Juliette. (Contains spoilers)

This was another really cool episode. They showed more of how the others fit into the story with Goodwin, which I believe was killed by Anna Lucia, I was trying to think when they were talking about it. They mentioned the kids who were captured from thee tail section of the plane. We have more of who should we believe, that Charlotte loves to pistol whip people instead of finding out what's going on first, that makes me question her. I so called when Kate bent over that she was going to get hit in the head, I saw that coming. The way Juliette gave her a look in one scene and from the flash backs and everything makes me wonder if she isn't questionable. The chick fight wasn't as hot as it was with her and Anna Lucia in season two. I again wonder about Locke, why the hell would he let Ben be free it was only a month or so in their time frame they did that and they saw what happened. Those documents aren't even all accurate Ben even said so.

Now that Daniel Faraday and Charlotte fixed the computer does that mean there isn't any way of Ben using those chemicals to gas anyone like he did before? Is Ben just playing everyone once again?

We will find out next week who the last member of "the Oceanic 6" is. They are sure using those loopholes with people like Ben and people that weren't on the flight so they weren't part of the 6 yet still made it off of the island. I thought Juliette was another one until we saw it was a flashback to when she got on the island. That was also the first flashback it seemed like in awhile they have been doing alot of flash fowards obviously of the people who will get off of the island. Once they announce that 6th person, we will know who won't make it, we just have to wait to find out when they die and how they die.
  • This episode concerns Juliet's past and her romantic involment with Goodwin. We get to see Ben's love interest for Juliet and how he tried to keep her away from everybody especially Goodwin. On the other hand, Ben makes a deal with Locke and he's now free

This episode isn't as good as the previous one but it is therefore very important. It gives us important info and moreover it helps to the development of the whole LOST arc. Juliet's part becomes more important and more essential to the whole story and now we have a new love triangle with Kate - Jack - Juliet. Furthemore, now we know how important Penny's father is and how he is the boats of the rescuing team on the island

Nevertheless, this episode promotes a slower pace for the series and can't be compared with the previous one.

Lastly, Locke is becoming more and more stupid. Slowly slowly we get to see that Locke made a mistake separating from the others, and those that gone with him as well, as he has no idea what he is doing. His part must become more exciting.
    Season 4, following season 3 shocking ending, becomes better and better. I hope they keep doing whatever it is they are doing to keep this show on the top.
  • a step backwards from the previous episode, but still very good

Quite a good episode, you learn more about the life of the others. The flashbacks where not clearing thins up, we knew everything already. I am happy that we learn how Ben killed the guys from the darma inisative.

Charles Witmore is a very intruiging character, and I want to know how he knows about the island. The fact that Jack has chosen for Juliette don't really interest me. The acting Michael Emerson was again very good, Ben really is a creep. The final scene was also funny with Hurley and Sawyer, but it whas pitty there wasn't a "wow" ending.
  • Just a bit too clever for its own good, or a massive misstep?

Under normal circumstances, an episode centered on Juliet would be a welcome prospect. Even more so, an episode written by Drew Goddard. Goddard has a history of using flashbacks as a tool for connecting continuity dots, and Juliet rivals Ben in terms of sheer manipulative power. One could argue that Juliet was one of the few people with the ability to counter Ben at his own game.

Unfortunately, the premise of this episode detracts from the promise of a strong writer and a compelling focal character. In previous episodes, Juliet's history had been fairly straightforward. Juliet had been held on the island against her will by Ben, who was more than happy to apply any means to convince her that the island was her place in the world. Goodwin, her lover and source of comfort, had been killed in the attempt to monitor and control Ana Lucia. Creating a love polygon adds nothing to that.

Ben has never been particularly pleased with Juliet's stubborn independent streak, and he has done horrible things to keep her in line. Previous episodes have suggested Ben's possible attraction to her, but the context was always within his usual range of emotional control. It seems against his character to make blatant moves to romance Juliet or place one of his own in mortal peril for standing in his way.

Instead, Ben's sense of possession is about control. Ben brought Juliet to the island to resolve the reproductive problems. As long as she feels obligation or satisfaction outside of that goal, Ben is displeased. The emergence of his cancer is indicative of this; for a time, her skills were otherwise applied to manipulating Jack into saving Ben's life.

The question is: did Ben send Goodwin to the AnaLucia Tribe because he was the best man for the job, or because it would give him an opportunity to eliminate a distraction for Juliet? It may be both, though not in the extreme. Harper's warning may come down to simply this: Ben will do what is best for Ben. In other words, romantic notions aside, Ben needs Juliet in line more than he needs Goodwin.

So why would Juliet, knowing Ben as well as she does, think that he would make decisions based on romantic underpinnings? He wouldn't have sent Juliet to seduce and confound Jack and prepare Sun and Kate for abduction if he was that concerned about keeping her to himself. Instead, it seems far more likely that Juliet's interpretation of past events was altered by her encounter with "Harper", her new mission, and lingering doubts about her role in Jack's life.

"Harper" was most likely Jacob and/or the "smoke monster" (though there is reason to believe they are one and the same, or operate in tandem). By apparently appearing on Ben's behalf, with Ben "being where he wants to be", "Harper" triggers the thought in Juliet that it has been about Ben's desire to possess her personally. Her mind plays out the evidence that could support that possibility.

Far more likely, "Harper" is aware that Juliet has no concept of Jacob's ability to change appearance or Cerberus' ability to take on the form of familiar faces. So orders from on high would mean nothing to her. Orders from Ben, however, reinforced by a sudden rush of guilt and directed awareness, are all too familiar. The last thing "Harper" wants is the deactivation of the Tempest system, since it was already found useful in eliminating one threat to the island during the Purge of the Dharma Initiative.

Juliet's mindset is further influenced when Jack finds Kate. "Harper" forces Juliet to consider that Ben killed Goodwin to assert his control over her life. She was the "other woman" who stole Goodwin from Harper, and from a certain point of view, she has found herself in the role of "other woman" stealing Jack from Kate. It doesn't matter if it's true; what matters is that the thought triggered by this analogy is "Ben gets what he wants, by any means necessary".

Juliet's conversation with Jack at the end appears to be her bid for independence, moderating by fear of the consequences. Yet Juliet has always been willing to cross Ben to her own advantage, so that doesn't quite add up. Given Juliet's history, it's far more likely that she is taking firm control over her destiny, especially in the wake of seeing the truth behind Ben's supposed goal for killing Daniel and Charlotte. Jack has a track record when it comes to defying Ben. Why not make it seem like his choice?

It all seems rather unnecessarily complicated to interpret the episode in such a manner, but it feels more consistent than the idea that Juliet is Ben's weakness and object of obsession. It also feels more consistent with the portrayal of Ben with Locke in the "present". Ben has always been very good at getting what he wants, and he plays whatever role is necessary to ensure it. He gains freedom (and therefore the ability to regain control) by handing Locke the impression of control.

It's no surprise that the "rescue party" was sent by Charles Widmore. That writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Whether or not Ben's explanation for Widmore's interest in the island is entirely accurate is another question. Widmore would know about the aspects of the island available for exploitation from his connection to Hanso and, by extension, the Dharma Initiative data. So while Ben's explanation is generally reasonable, it's vague nature suggests a very specific hidden truth.

As far as the man on the boat is concerned, all the evidence is now pointing to Michael. Never mind that the conclusion is supported by endless press releases; it fits perfectly into Ben's form of manipulation. Ben would have known about the threat posed by Widmore for years, and if Michael and Walt had returned to the real world in any public manner, the news would have spread quickly. Since the world still believes Oceanic 815 went down with all passengers, Michael and Walt either never left the island (unlikely) or were sent to a location where Ben's people could pick them up and manipulate them further.

Ultimately, this episode appears to present a number of contradictions, even as it attempts to slide into the established continuity. Those contradictions can be resolved, but it relies on a level of manipulation from Ben, "Harper", and Juliet (within and without) to make sense. If future episodes fall in line with the manipulation theory, then this is simply a case of overselling a concept and falling short of storytelling goals. If not, and this is a shift in the characterization of Ben and Juliet's complicated history, then it would be a massive self-inflicted wound.
  • Can understand that not all liked this episode, but I think we had to cool out a little bit.

After last week's sci-fi/bizarre episode it's time to get back to normal life. And this is full of relations not responded to. Harper has problems with his husband Goodwin. Goodwin has an affair with Juliet, and has to pay for that bitterly. Ben wants to get possession of Juliet like crazy. Juliet finds protection by Jack. Desmond's love to Penny will have a twist?
    Can understand that not all liked this episode, but I think we had to cool out a little bit to have space for next weeks momentums, where we will be facing some old faces and will be introduced to the missing two of the Oceanic Six.
    So please calm down and keep watching Lost.
  • Juliet and her past on the island

In this episode called "The other woman" we learn information about Juliet's life on the island. Juliet and Goodwin had a relationship, and Goodwin's wife who was Juliet's psychologist figured out what was going on. She threatens Juliet but their secret relationship does not end. Another information we learn in this episode is that Ben had a crash on Juliet and that back when oceanic815 crash-landed he sent Goodwin to the tailies on purpose. He wanted him to get killed in order for him to be with Juliet,because as he said to Juliet ,she was his! A very emotional moment of the episode, is when Ben takes Juliet to see her dead lover. Anna-Loucia had killed him.
    Back on the island, Charlotte and Dan disappeared into the jungle going to the tempest,the station which gives electricity to the island. Juliet and Jack go after them to stop them from realising gases which would kill everyone on the island. On the way to the tempest, Charlotte and Dan encounter Kate who was returning from the barracks. Kate figures out that something goes wrong and when she asks to see their bag, Charlotte knocks her unconscious. Afterwards, Juliet and Jack find Kate, but Juliet gets away from them and goes to the tempest by her self. There, she encounters Miles trying to do something on the computer while wearing a mask. Charlotte appears and they have a fight with Juliet. At the end, Dan manages to finish what he was doing,and fortunately he and Charlotte did not have a bad purpose,they were just trying to help.
    Back at the barracks, Ben comes to an agreement with Locke to release him when he shows to him a tape with Charles Widmore killing one of Ben's associates. In addition, Ben reveals to Locke who his spy is on the freighter.
    Wonderful episode,informative with one of my favourite characters being the centric one.
  • Thou shall not covet thou shrink's husband

The worst example of retcon begins with the introduction of Harper, Goodwin's wife, as in the Goodwin Juliet was sleeping with back when ...wait for it: Ben was obssessed with her. Yeah! apparentely, after the master piece that was "The Constant" last week, the writers decided to completely ruin one of the most perfect mix of collaboration/rivalry in any relationship I've seen on this show and turn it into the tale of one creepy stalker Ben who captured naive PhD Juliet so she would be "his" until, of course, handsome Dr. Jack would come to her rescue.

It didn't matter that they had to re-write Ben and Juliet's entire history in the process or Ben's sole motivation to bring her here: she was not brought to heal pregnant women so the others would finally settle on this island, she came here because she looked like Annie (the only "her" Harper could've been talking about since she never met Ben's mother) and so Ben wanted her for himself. The worst part? Goodwin now was killed not because he disobeyed Ben's orders in order to bring Ana Lucia to the fold but because he was sleeping with Juliet (despite being married, that adulterer). In the middle of all this CRAP I can hardly pay attention to what Charlotte and Daniel are trying to do because the sheer thought that the writers had to ruin not 2 but 3 perfect characters just so Jack could get "the girl" in the end makes me so MAD that I must give this episode the worst score possible.
  • Great episode

The fact that the boaties are still walking around not telling anybody anything is kind of annoying. Why did they have to knock Kate unconscious instead of just telling her what they were doing and letting her follow them. Charlotte didn't exactly have to tackle Juliet in the the Tempest either. Other than that, I don't have any qualms with this episode. The Goodwin/Juliet relationship is actually really great and I didn't think this story could be fleshed out anymore - but I was wrong. If they actually had all of this planned since The Other 48 Days (or even if they didn't) props to the writers.
  • good but for me kinda sad...

7.2
    i thought that this episode was good but i was really disapointed that jack kissed juliet, i hate her and i hate her with jack, he belongs with kate! oh well hopefully he,ll come to his sencees soon. i wasnt shocked though when it was about her i figured that some thing would happen. hopefully the next episode will be good it looked good. i love this show but i fing it sad that kate and jack have only kissed once and juliet and him have kissed twice!!! i men its really sad for us jate fans. even if jack and juliet do become a couple i'll still have hope for kate and jack will be together!!! ;)
< 1 2 3