Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• Something died in me while watching this episode

3.3
    I don't know where to begin... a very poor episode.

I don't care about Juliet and her promiscuity.

I don't care about Goodwin and his chemical burn.

I don't care about some shrink chick that pops out of the blue. I don't care about Jack's boyscout crush.

I don't care about "The Tempest". I don't care about releasing or not releasing the gas.

I don't care about Claire's function and her obviously unlimited Make-Up depot.

I don't care about watching Charles Widmore beating up some dude.

I don't care about seeing Ben fooling Locke again and again and again.

I don't care about horseshoes.

I just don't care.
  • Boring

5.5
    The Flashback: Mostly about Juliet's love life and Ben's obsession over her. As far as I'm concerned,it was pretty boring to see Ben drool all over Juliet and kill his way to her. Basically, what we learn is, Ben is creepy. But didn't we already know that?

The Island: This was also close to useless. Jack, Juliet and Kate go after two of those people from the boat, God it was like watching a game of cat and mouse. The only good thing in this episode was probably Ben and Locke discussing and we finally get some progression, but that was really minor. The ending was pretty killer though, I had a good laugh from it.
  • This was an abortion of an episode. No wonder babies on the island die.

It felt like I was watching a parody of the show. And not a well-done parody. More like a Mad TV-level parody.

Okay, new character in Harper, who we find served as a therapist to the others when Juliette arrived on the island. But her sudden appearance and vanishing act in the jungle was the start of the fall of this episode for me. I knew that wasn't a good sign as it was the initial scene meant to shock. It was tough to suspend disbelief enough do anything but laugh, or think of Dexter. Should you not be able to make it all the way through the episose, rest assured it did eventually end for the rest of us.

Is the writer's strike still on?
  • good but for me kinda sad...

7.2
    i thought that this episode was good but i was really disapointed that jack kissed juliet, i hate her and i hate her with jack, he belongs with kate! oh well hopefully he,ll come to his sencees soon. i wasnt shocked though when it was about her i figured that some thing would happen. hopefully the next episode will be good it looked good. i love this show but i fing it sad that kate and jack have only kissed once and juliet and him have kissed twice!!! i men its really sad for us jate fans. even if jack and juliet do become a couple i'll still have hope for kate and jack will be together!!! ;)
  • Will go down as the worst episode of Lost. Absurd and unbelievable character backstory. Terrible directing and editing make the actors look weak. Its like a collection of deleted scenes. Widmore throwing flying elbows like an 80's crime drama

1.1
    This was horrible. It will go down as the worst Lost episode of all time.

If you didnt see that..take a class because you could see on the actors faces that they didnt believe this story. Every take was a struggle to be believed

Liz is one of the best actors on Lost and everyone including this director has proved themselves...the only thing I can think of was the strike was looming over them and everyone lost focus because this was no better than an episode of Charmed. Ratings will plummet and Lost will take a big hit for this.

To ask us to believe that Ben was stalking juliet--when there was no sign of that anywhere to be found before --is insulting. The entire execution of that storyline was completely unbelievable--it was as if a bunch of 3rd graders broke into the writers room.

In this short season there is no room for fillers--but this was not a filler--this was a series destroyer because of its inept production
  • A really poor and unbelievable episode.

2.8
    I love Lost and was really looking forward to series 4 but this episode I'm afraid sums up much of the series. Something is lacking and I can't put my finger on it. The Constant was a 10/10 episode but all the others just haven't really achieved much excitement for me, this being by far the worst. Juliet is dull as dishwater and the whole story with Ben was weak. At the start of Season 3 Ben says "so I guess I'm out of the book club then" and we wonder where their relationship went wrong but in this episode after that event Ben is having Juliet round for a romantic "first date" type meal. That doesn't add up. So Juliet had an affair with that Other bloke. Who cares? Ben sent him off with Ana Lucia as he knew she would kill him? Ridiculous. We have a whole episode devoted to showing that Ben is actually evil? And in such a dull way? Oh dear. We knew that already. Then to make matters worse, Faraday and co go and turn off the gas but just had to hit Kate over the head so we could have the tense ending with Juliet with the are they or aren't they bad question. It's so stupid, why would they not just say "Listen, we think this Ben bloke is going to use the gas to kill you all so we're going to go turn it off"? The answer, they wouldn't!

Overall a real disappointment of an episode only saved by humour between Ben and Locke.
  • A Juliet-centric episode.

Let me just start by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. The main reason that I loved this episode so much is because Juliet is one of my most favorite characters on the show. I really enjoyed the flash backs of Juliet's time on the island as an Other. I was really shocked by the fact that she had an affair with her therapist's husband. Another reason that I loved this episode so much was the fact that Daniel and Charlotte were once again heavily involved in one of the main story lines of the episode like they were in the last episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode from everyone involved in the making of it, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four.
  • Bad.

3.5
    Not the worst episode in the history of LOST, but close. Seems as though 'Stranger in a Strange Land' is always the episode which wins the award for worst episode. But like I said, this episode was close. Again, I am not going to summarize the episode; rather, I am going to share with you my personal thoughts about the episode. First, the character of Juliet is just not that intriguing of a character and she is not a good enough actress to pull off an entire hour long episode devoted to her. The only redeemable qualities of this episode came when Ben 'played his last card' with Locke, and now is living in his own cabin. We hardly saw any of the main cast members in this episode, which is a sign that the show may easily be falling into the doldrums sooner rather than later, especially with the tremendous drop-off from last week's magnificent 'The Constant.'
  • Do we really need to know this?

5.2
    While in my opinion, the flash-forwards are great, i was very diappointed with this episode. Juliet is one of the most uninteresting persons on the island and what exactly do we know now about her? That she doesn't hesitate to go after another woman's husband (watch out kate, juliet will stop at nothing)? that creepy ben has a crush on her (congratulations, juliet)? All of Juliets lying (and she obviously cannot lie very good as she feels compelled to unveil the truth short after- boring)is meant to make her enigmatic and charismatic so she will be a good match for the doctor and be the anti-Kate- a failed attempt. Give the main characters more screen time and stop wasting time with storys about boring characters (paolo and nikki anybody?)
  • Any hope of rescue is blown but oh well..... We're given backround to Juliet's affair, Daniel and Charlotte head to the island's power station to cut off a supply of lethal gas that can kill everyone on the island and Ben gets back on top. Yawn.

5.5
    Juliet's flashback (yes, they've covered flshforwards and visions from the past to the future and now they're back to flashbacks)is among the slowest ever seen on Lost; we see Ben fawning over her but when the charismatic Goodwin sweeps her off her feet, Ben sends him to Ana - Lucia at the plane crash site knowing that she'll kill him.
    We also see Juliet's old therapist Harper who was married to Goodwin the cad. On the island however Juliet and Jack set out to stop Daniel and Charlotte from completing their mission and we see Ben use his knowledge of the freighter in exchange for some freedom. Apart from the amusing exchanges between Ben and Locke as well as a nice little bit involving Sawyer and Hurley at the end; this episode is powerfully dull and takes the prize as the worst of Season 4.

Big mistake giving Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet the starring role as she sleepwalks through her role and is the most uninteresting character on Lost since Bernard and his wife Rose. As so much of the episode is dedicated to the drama between Juliet, Ben and Goodwin they try to overcompensate it with hectic fight scenes and "suspenseful" sequences featuring Daniel frantically typing random equations into a computer with a loudspeaker telling him time's up (sound familiar?)

This episode is also swimming in what are now called "Lost Clichés" which include; having characters walk through the jungle holding torches in the rain, someone seeing a person from their past come out of nowhere and greeting them with a creepy "hello" before disappearing, having the large Hurley beat someone (Sawyer) at sport and of course having the entire scene that takes place in the "tempest". All of these just add to the contrived nature of the show.

The Direction is at the top of its game with very nicely structured scenes but the problem is the order between the scenes which is really haphazard how random bits that don't tie together are ordered. With this episode we learn that Charles Widmore (Penny's Dad) is looking for the island to turn it into a lucrative gimmick; personally this is a pretty feeble excuse, after two seasons of wondering who was looking for the island and why the best answer is a rich old guy looking for a money - making scheme. Hopefully either Ben is lying or the source that told him that is.

We're given more insight into Ben' we learn that he had a silly crush on Juliet and killed Goodwin in spite of it, we also find out that he somehow has the power to communicate with his people and have a knowledge of what's happening on the island while being locked in Locke's basement. The Writer's are being generous by giving a great character like Ben so much development and with Michael Emerson's superb performance as him it's even better but i'm getting the sense that they're spreading his character a bit thin. All in all, this is an effective set - up for later episodes but a substandard one overall. The Soap Opera - like flashbacks and rambling events on the island are quick to lose the attention of the audience and the lack of answers and standout performances just deem it a poor episode.
  • Average episode of lost. Nothing to speicla. alot of jealously.

7.6
    Bravo! Charlotte and Faraday sneak out from the camping and Jack and Juliet chase them. The former therapist of Juliet and one of The Others, Harper, meets her in the woods and gives a message from Ben, telling that the fugitives are heading to a plant to release gas in the island and kill them. Charlotte and Faraday stumble in Kate and she sees gas masks in Faraday's backpack, but she is hit in the head by Charlotte and faints. Meanwhile, Juliet recalls her passion for Harper's husband and the jealousy of Ben.

"The Other Woman" is another weak episode of this terrible Fourth Season, and the great loss of audience in this series proves that there are other viewers with the same opinion as mine. The mystery and thriller of the series now is shifted to an unnecessary quartet of love like in a soap opera. With regard to the important plot of the episode, if Charlotte and Faraday have good intentions, why sneaking out from Jack's camp and hit Kate? Why not telling the truth to Jack and Kate and resolve the menace with their support?
  • Another new character...really??? Were all of the other Others busy doing dinner theater?

This episode was a real disappointment for me. Seriously, did we really need ANOTHER new character??? Especially, an Other. There were plenty of them to go around and they all seemed to have disappeared. Now, it turns out there was a therapist in their midst, who has the magical ability to appear and disappear at will. She's also the worst therapist I have ever seen. She starts off her very first session (before Juliet is sleeping with her husband) as being very antagonistic. Not the best way to develop a relationship with your new patient. She later makes some comment about Ben liking Juliet because "you look just like her." Who on Earth is she referring to? Is this just another unanswered question or did I miss some tiny nuance somewhere and I'm supposed to know who she's talking about. It's also quite incredible that she tracks down Juliet in the middle of the jungle during a rain storm, having been sent by Ben who is being held captive by Locke. We're supposed to believe that Ben is somehow still in contact with the Others and he happens to know that on that exact night Charlotte and Daniel are going to the Temptest. AND if he was really going to be sending an Other to Juliet, would it really be the antagonistic wife of her dead lover? Not exactly the person I would be listening to. Come on LOST get it together!
  • This episode goes down in history as the 2nd worst (in Lost standards) episode, behind Jack's Stranger in a strange island ep, in Lost history. Producers promised us no fillers and yet we get this. Very disappointing!

I hate to say this but this was a very, very disappointing episode. I expected more especially since they cut down to 16 episodes and promised us no filler episodes and this felt like a filler. Also, with the previous 5 amazing episodes all featuring some sort of flash forward, I wasn't looking for a flashback. I know the writers said not all episodes would feature flash-forwards but the ones that featured a flash back would be more revealing and far more important than what we saw in this episode.

I could care less what was happening in Juliette's flashback and the Island present wasn't 'all that'
    Now if they revealed to us who Ben's mystery person is on the boat, then I would have been slightly pleased but they didn't even reveal that!

Worst episode in Lost history is episode 309 'Stranger in a strange island' and now 2nd worst is episode 406 'The other woman' (PLEASE no more filler episodes)
  • Interesting

Juliet has flashbacks to when she had an affair with Goodwin while on the island. His wife, Harper, despised her and Ben was jealous, which is why he sent Goodwin to the tail section of the plane.

Jack discovers that Faraday and Charlotte have gone missing. Juliet receives a message from Harper from Ben. Harper tells her where Faraday and Charlotte are going and what they plan to do. Jack and Juliet follow them. Kate runs into them and sees the gas masks. Charlotte knocks her out. Juliet goes ahead and finds them at the Tempest station. It turns out that they are trying to disable the gas, instead of spreading it. Ben makes a wager with Locke. His limited freedom for information. Ben reveals that Charles, Penny's father, is searching for this island and he wants to exploit it. Juliet and Jack kiss.

This episode was great! The ending was funny! Ben is so smart when it comes to manipulating Locke and others. It would be creepy to have Ben have a crush on you like he did with Juliet. He seems like a stalker or something. This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10!
  • Romantic storylines, secrets revealed and a great fight scene between Charlotte and Juliet...this episode is terrific.

Charlotte and Dan disappear into the island. Kate runs into them but then gets knocked out. Juliet gets a visit from her a woman called Harper. Harper tells her that Ben wants her to kill Charlotte and Dan. That made me wonder how Ben could have delivered that message because he was held in captivity. Where were Charlotte and Dan going and why ? They were going to the tempest.The source of all electricity on the island. They were going to disable it so Ben dosen't use it against everyone on the island. Jack, Juliet and Kate think that what Charlotte and Dan are doing is acutally against them so they set out to stop them. Juliet is ahead of Kate and Jack. She finds the Tempest and she also find Dan inside working on the computer so she puts a gun to his head and tells him to stop what he's doing but he refuses. Then Charlotte attacks her and a very rivetting fight happens between the two then Juliet gains control of the situation but they presuade her that what they are doing is for the good of the island, so she lets them proceed. Juliet and Charlotte leave the Tempest only to see Jack and Kate right infront of them. Juliet and Jack share a very sweet kiss which made go AWWWW. On other events. Ben wants to be free so and in order for him to do that he had to get Ben to trust him so he showed him a tape of his enemy. Charles Widmore was seen on tape. I was shocked that Penny's father was the enemy. Apparently Charles wants to exploit the island. Also Juliet has flashbacks of when she has having an affair with Widmore the man who attacked Ana Lucia but was then killed by her. We also find out that Ben was inlove with Juliet and he thought she was his. That freaked me out. I never saw it coming. Claire tells Ben that she wants to talk to Miles because she could use a different approach so they can get the information they wanted. I liked that. It's about time Claire had some development into the storyline other than being Charlie's hearthrob or the woman on the island with the baby. Loved this episode. Fantastic acting. Great scenery, like the setting where Goodwin and Juliet where having a picnic..that was beutiful. Great episode. Favorite character from this episode : Juliet !!! She looked so hot in that bathing suit. Something really funny in this episode was the expressio non Sawyer's face when he saw Ben walking around free. Good stuff !!!!
  • The plot thickens...

Finally! After a few lackluster episodes, it appears that good old Lost is back. "The Other Woman" is a classic example of Lost, with plenty of action and revelations from the get go. The episode starts strong and never let up the pace and tension, combining exciting sequences with well written dialogue and interesting revelations concerning the nature of the freighter.

Basically, Juliet is tasked by Ben to find Daniel and Charlotte and stop them from doing whatever they're doing. In the process, we are introduced to a new station, The Tempest, and given insight into who owns the boat, who is trying to find the island. The answer makes a nice connection between other episodes, in my opinion. Also, the flashbacks actually make sense in this one, and also contain some throwbacks to season two.

Overall, "The Other Woman" marks a return to form for Lost, with a brilliantly balanced episode which is marred only by a sort of cop-out at the end. I think that an ending which fit in better with the "no mercy" tone (i.e., Juliet completing her mission) would have been nice. But, I suppose, we can't get too many answers in one episode. Keep up the good work, Lost.
  • OK I made a mistake in my last review - this episode was way better than the Constant.

OK now many will think that I'm crazy and Jack-Kate fans will be angry with me, but I'm Jack-Juliet fan so... The ending was perfect. One of the reasons that I watch LOST is the relationship between Jack and Juliet. The writers finally did what I was waitng for from the last time Jack and Juliet kissed. Only this time it was much more romatic. There was a hug too. Ahhhhhh....

Also we found out that Penny's father is the one who hired the "boat people" and that he might be the evil, who wants to find the island. I say "might" because that tape could have been another of Ben's tricks. We will just have to wait and see.
  • If a formula works....

After the occasional "What the hell was that" episode (see Desmond's time travelling nonsense in "The Constant"), the show has fallen back to the predictable if mildly entertaining formula of showing us a character with a current crisis and then hitting us with flashbacks which tell us why certain decisions are being made. This time, it's Juliet. She tries to stop the "sinister" Faraday and Lewis from killing everyone on the island only to discover that they were trying to save everyone. It seems to me that the "Whose-side-are-they-REALLY-on" card has been played to death. For examples of this overused plot device, please see Juliet, Ben, Ethan, all of the tail section survivors (who are all dead now), the rescue boat crew, etc, etc,.

As usual, by the end of the episode, far more questions are raised than the writers will EVER be able to answer. I am really starting to give up hope that this show, which started off with ENORMOUS potential and appeal will ever get back on track. You can only string your viewers along for so long before they get ticked off and change the channel.
  • i thought lost was a drama, and now i feel like i'm watching the sci-fi channel. what happened?

5.5
    i know i'm probably in the minority, but i don't like the way it feels like it's going. i watch because i love the original castaways and their issues. i'm not sure how i feel about time-space differentials, secret missions to stop the killer gas (c'mon, be honest, it was kinda corny) and all that jazz. i'm more interested in who gets off the island, and why, not the boat people and what they're doing. i wish now and then they would just tell you something up front, just to be different. i love the mysterious aspect of the show, but the constant jumping around episode to episode would be a little more palpable if we had some idea what one of the groups is really up to. what's up with desmond and sayid? what's their plan on the boat? who is ben's man on the boat? i'm not surprised they didn't tell us, that would be way too cool of them. what's the deal with locke? and why are the people with him putting up with him? i think the writers and producers are getting a little 'lost' in where they're taking the series. if you think i'm stupid and don't get it, go to abc.com and re-watch some episodes from season one, and see how different the tone is, it's more of a character-driven drama, as opposed to a sci-fi mystery. oh well...
  • Did we really need this subplot?

Following up an episode that instantly becomes recognized as a classic is never easy for a series. It's even harder when the season is transitioning to the next phase. Had this been an episode from the first few seasons (this is the first episode this season to have traditional flashbacks from one character) it'd be easier to forgive, but this doesn't mesh as well with the resolve the writers have had this season. While previous episodes have had major reveals, this one just feels forced and sloppy.

Juliet was the sympathetic doorway into the lives of The Others. Since that society has been largely obliterated, Juliet now needs a new direction. So they branch out her character by introducing Harper, an Other who despite being married to Goodwin hasn't been seen, heard or referred to before. It also changes the context of her relationship with Goodwin, making it an affair rather than something open (which would've been the way to go considering there isn't much place for privacy in their group). Suddenly The Barracks feel an awful lot like Wisteria Lane.

The decision to add this element of Juliet as "the other woman", while it has multiple meanings (her affair, her involvement with Jack and being a female Other), is too melodramatic and seeks to define Juliet more by her romances than anything else. This has been a big problem with Kate since her second centric episode. However, Juliet has been well acted and written before, so this may be a bump in the road while the writers craft the next phase for her.

This episode also confirms that Ben had Goodwin killed for getting close to Juliet. Of course that begs the question how did he know that Goodwin would die on such a mission. It could be a good guess, or maybe Ben is far more astute than we give him credit for. Ben might've known Goodwin would become Ana-Lucia's right hand despite Ben's command not to get involved and leave after they took all people on the list. Many have wondered what Ethan did to have him sent away. It's possible he was thrown in to deflect suspicion that Goodwin was marked.

Michael Emerson, as many have claimed, steals the episode. We see another side of him, the love sick puppy that can't handle a crush. Some may think that diminishes Ben's image as a character, but it's clear he isn't about to hoist a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel anytime soon. He's a control freak, so he's prone to be jealous. Add his sense of power the island gives him and it's scary. His declaration "You're mine" makes the soap opera antics before far more bearable.

Considering how everything not spelled out to viewers becomes a source of speculation, I was rather naïve to believe that Harper's remark that Juliet looked like a woman from Ben's past referred to anyone besides Ben's mother. Some thought it wasn't because she died when he was born, but that there had to be pictures of her around. It could be Annie, but she had dark hair when Ben first met her. Ben's flashback showed his mother and her death played a major role in his development. Annie, while a friend for some time, is still a major mystery. His mother's death caused his alcoholic father to heap years of psychological abuse upon him. Later, seeing her would start the chain of events that lead him to the top of The Others.

Of all the unanswered questions about The Others, another love triangle was the wrong thing to introduce. Why not give us more details on how The Others were between the crash and when they became a bigger presence late in the second season? From that umbrella period they could explore a lot of elements they didn't get to last season. They could've even done more with the chemical burn Goodwin had. Of course, they may be saving the big reveals for the next Ben episode, but there's still plenty of room for Juliet to answer some long asked questions.

There is the question of how Ben, who has been in the castaways custody for a few days on the island, found out about which freighties were going on the mission and sent one of The Others to get Juliet to kill them. This was likely a back up plan we never saw when Ben left The Others to negotiate with the castaways. If he didn't return after a certain number of days, they would set off The Tempest's gas. Perhaps Ben sent his people to The Temple because they can control the gas or be safe from it. There are also the whispers, which may be his method of communicating should he not be able to otherwise.

The big problem of the episode is that the conflict exists entirely from the characters not disclosing things they should. Why would Daniel and Charlotte not disclose to the castaways that they were rendering the gas inert? It's unlikely anyone, not even Locke, would object to that mission. Also why do they knock out Kate (perhaps the better question would be why would she turn her back on one of them after catching them in a lie)? This may make more sense later as they describe the freighter's intentions.

Claire's request to question Miles is another jarring out of character moment. She has never been one of the leaders of the camp, so why is she suddenly being proactive in how they handle the Miles (who as far as we know still has that grenade in his mouth) situation? Perhaps this is representative of the lack of ideas the writers have for her without Charlie.

Ben continues to play Locke, but this time he has more than just mind games to back up his argument for freedom. This is executed the way the main plot should have. Ben and Locke's story comes from their established behaviors and not them behaving in a way solely to move the story. Ben manipulates everyone while Locke, trying to maintain a leadership role, remains susceptible to anyone who is somewhat convincing.

Widmore's role in the island mythology gets pushed further with the videotape of him pulverizing Ben's inside man (presumed a different man than the one on the boat). Considering what we know, especially from last week, Ben's assertion that Widmore desperately wants to get to the island makes sense. Purchasing the journal was the first step. It's long been theorized that Widmore used Desmond and exploited Penelope's love for him to find the island as well. Ben, of course, would be a major player to eliminate if he wanted to exploit the island as Ben believes.

With Widmore preparing for "war" with Ben (a "war" Juliet believes Ben will win) Jack prepares to stand by Juliet. This does play into the flashbacks for why she'd be concerned about that choice. However, this may ironically spell doom for her. Jack gets off the island and eventually finds himself in a deep dark depression over leaving the island. Perhaps Juliet's eventual demise is one of the things he's guilt-ridden over. It would also explain Ben and Sayid's crusade against those responsible.

Again we're teased with the identity of Ben's inside man, which is further frustrating if it turns out to be Michael as speculated. However, it may be interesting if it's Walt. Locke has loyalties to Walt, so Ben convincing Locke that he sent Walt to help the island might have been what bought Ben the right to roam freely. Of course, it's expected to believe that it's a lie, but maybe whatever he told Locke was right?

Following the string of solid or knock out episodes, this one is a mess. The back story for The Others offered more soapy gossip than major reveals, although the pay off was satisfying. Hopefully when the next stage of the season begins this will even out, and considering the first five episodes, the good will should be far from spent.
  • This should've been in season 3 instead of season 4.

6.6
    It has been hinted in the mobisode "The Envelope" that Ben has feelings towards Juliet. Heck, even in season 3 episode 2: they share an awkward moment as Juliet gives Jack soup (Ben to Juliet, smiling): "you never made me soup".

However, bringing up this matter right at the middle of the season the Oceanic Six is supposed to leave the island AND right after an episode where we got an explanation to Desmond's time travel and Desmond and Penny, the most epic couple ever contacted eachother, was a grave mistake. The episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either, mostly because of it's awkward placement.

The island plot was laughable, actually. Okay, so... Dan and Charlotte head off to a previously unseen Dharma station called "The Tempest" to release some sort of nerve gas that could kill everyone on the island(including Ben). So Juliet, all alone, goes ahead to kill both of them, as Harper Stanhope ordered(who claims to have these orders from Ben).

Not only does this SOUND really stupid, it is. First of all: how can Juliet can be so naive? Secondly: the flashforwards already revealed that Ben, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, etc would live. So there was zero suspense. And finally. What does this has to do with anything?

Not much of a surprise that Dan and Charlotte just wanted to neutralize the gas so Ben wouldn't be able to release it. This is what I call fake drama... Why couldn't Dan and Charlotte just TELL Jack what they would do? this would've made him trust them more, which is very important at this point, I think. After a series of laughable "action" scenes the characters finally stop acting like monkeys and actually discuss what's going on... and it's all crowned with Jack and Juliet kissing, which was good, but god, that dialouge they had there was HORRIBLE. Juliet claims that Ben owns her and that he would kill Jack because he's with her. WHAT? Okay, we see that, in the flashbacks, Ben was really that maniac. But in present time, NO! We've seen Ben treat Juliet like crap in season 3 - he is obviously over her!

Speaking of which.. the flashbacks saved the episode. They added a new side of Ben and explained why Goodwin had to stick around for so long. Basically, Ben was in love and so was Goodwin; but since Ben has the power to control people, he forced Goodwin to stay with Ana and end up killed so he can "get" Juliet. Loved the "YOU ARE MINE" scene, easily the best moment of the episode. Michael Emerson did an excellent job and so did Elizabeth Mitchell - but strictly in the flashbacks.

I mean, as I said before, Juliet's island storyline was laughable. But Ben's brief storyline was probably even worse. He talks his way out of captivity and shows John a recording which shows that Charles Widmore is behind the freighter. That's OK - but the whole thing just felt really poorly executed. It's a big reveal after all, but it didn't feel like one.

Thank god for the last scene - hilarious. It showed that Ben Linus can get exactly what he wants - anytime. But that doesn't save this episode.

Verdict: Island plot: 5/10, Flashback: 8/10, Overall: around 6.5, well below the Lost average.
  • Juliet heads off to the Tempest, and flashbacks reveal stuff we already knew. (Spoiler Alert!)

Summary: After Dan and Charlotte head off to the Tempest, Juliet follows them at Ben's wishes. Ben plays mind games with Locke. Flashbacks reveal soap oprah-y stuff. Pros: Ben not only owns Juliet, he owns this entire episode. He was probaly the only good thng that came out of the entire episode. Cons: Juliet's flashes don't reveal much, which is sad because Juliet was a good charater in season 3. And also the Tempest seemslike one of those plot points that will never be brought up again. Overall: This should've been a Ben flashback, but instead Juliet takes center stage. A bad episode only because it reveals nothing.
  • Nothing much happened other than we learned more about Juliet.

Charlotte and Daniel go to one of the many stations scattered around the island and work to stop the gas which Ben used to kill members of the Dharma initiative from ever hurting anyone else. Well so we think. With Lost you never know what characters to trust. Juliette is approached by an unexpected guest and told to stop Charlotte and Daniel from doing this, and she and Jack go after them.

Not much happened in this episode. It was sort of filler in my opinion, but we did learn more about Juliete and her weird relationship with Ben. There is a small twist at the end, and we also learn who the boat belongs to. However, the big reveal wasn't surprising at all because I think we all suspected it.

Not one of the better episodes of the season, but it wasn't bad either. It doesn't compare to last week's episode THe Constant, but I've seen worse in other seasons.
  • no spoilfowards! weeeee!! but another episode where they made kate into a silly character.

the old kate would never turn her back on charlotte. that scene was incredibly stupid. they should have figured out a different way for that to happen. it was dumb. so charlotte is turning out to be quite a violent woman. she knocked kate out & then fought with juliet. i'm glad that juliet is still tough & that her relationship with jack is not fake but genuine. unfortunately thanks to the spoilfowards we know he won't forget about kate & pursue something with juliet. it's too bad as they have more in common with each other & do really well together. this episode seemed rushed with the introduction of the harper, the tempest & how quickly they were nullified. it's too bad that the gas is gone now because it could have been used against the boat people. it was an ok episode, but it didn't really expand on juliet, except maybe when she admitted to jack how she feels about him.
  • Drama and more drama! and nothing really to add to the story!

7.7
    This episode really didn't have much to add to add to the story. More questions arise and no answers really. However we do get to see more drama and pointless, filler stories that keep everyone intrigued enough to not get pist off that they're not really revealing anything new. Although I do gotta say, this season has been way better than last, and they're style of going from one episode to the next has improved significantly. They actually continue the next episode where they left off last. Anyway, this episode didn't really have much to offer, hopefully it'll get better.
  • great episode

a julietish episode. one of the others is shown in a juliet flashback, it turns out that goodwin is having a relationship with her. there's a love triangle between the two of them and ben. it's a really interesting episode, we get to see what happened in the past. Locke tries to get more information out of Ben, this time Ben offers him a deal that will make Locke release him from imprisonment. The writers came up with a really cool episode, this is what drama must be like. I love the intrigue, the way the scenes were shot, the actors were great.
  • This episode was really cool and also shed a little bit more into the life of the others and especially Juliette. (Contains spoilers)

This was another really cool episode. They showed more of how the others fit into the story with Goodwin, which I believe was killed by Anna Lucia, I was trying to think when they were talking about it. They mentioned the kids who were captured from thee tail section of the plane. We have more of who should we believe, that Charlotte loves to pistol whip people instead of finding out what's going on first, that makes me question her. I so called when Kate bent over that she was going to get hit in the head, I saw that coming. The way Juliette gave her a look in one scene and from the flash backs and everything makes me wonder if she isn't questionable. The chick fight wasn't as hot as it was with her and Anna Lucia in season two. I again wonder about Locke, why the hell would he let Ben be free it was only a month or so in their time frame they did that and they saw what happened. Those documents aren't even all accurate Ben even said so.

Now that Daniel Faraday and Charlotte fixed the computer does that mean there isn't any way of Ben using those chemicals to gas anyone like he did before? Is Ben just playing everyone once again?

We will find out next week who the last member of "the Oceanic 6" is. They are sure using those loopholes with people like Ben and people that weren't on the flight so they weren't part of the 6 yet still made it off of the island. I thought Juliette was another one until we saw it was a flashback to when she got on the island. That was also the first flashback it seemed like in awhile they have been doing alot of flash fowards obviously of the people who will get off of the island. Once they announce that 6th person, we will know who won't make it, we just have to wait to find out when they die and how they die.
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with what I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill the peeps on the island, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • How could they follow up last week's amazing episode WITH THIS?

4.9
    Desmond's episode last week was 10/10. So clever, so emotional, it renewed my interest and love for this show. I cannot fully express how disappointed I am with watch I just watched. There was nothing memorable, no cliff hanger, to me it was almost satrical - as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit. It was so boring I can barely remember what happened. I tuned out for about 80% of the episode. Lets see, the freighter people go to some place we haven't heard of yet to let off some lethal gas and kill everyone, turns out they go there to try to save everyone. Ben owns Juliet, Juliet is a home wrecker, Juliet and Jack tongue eachother. THE END.
  • I literally fell asleep. Don't like Juliet.

I really, really did not like this episode. I just don't buy this crap of Juliet being good. I can't stand her. Compared to last week's episode this was nothing. I mean, come on, who cares about Juliet?? I think Elizabeth Mitchell is not believable at all, at least not compared to the other actors and actresses. With them you see history in their eyes: Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, Jack, but Juliet's say nothing, they're blanc. It was a wasted episode, they could have done much better. Lets hope it doesn't get worse.
    However I still believe Lost is the best show on TV nowadays. They have us accustomed to a certain level of greatness, and this one fell short!
< 1 2 3