Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• Juliet: I'm sure there are things from your past that you'd rather not talk about. Jack: Yeah, you read them all in my file. Juliet: Trust me, Jack, you don't wanna see my file.

Juliet receives an unwelcome visit from someone from her past and is given orders to track down Charlotte and Faraday in order to stop them from completing their mission - by any means necessary. Meanwhile, Ben offers Locke an enticing deal. Not the best episode of the season but also not the worst, as the fourth seasonn goes on we have been seeing Lost at it's best, I really liked "The Other Woman" but it would always be a dissappointment after last weeks episode. The episode was also quite funny, Ben was great in this episode and the ending was great to watch, Jack and Juliet's kiss spoilt the episode abit. this episode I think is a 9.4 out of 10 and Iam already tipping Lost to win a couple of Emmy's this year.
  • Is it blasphemous that I liked this episode more than "The Constant?"

I almost feel like I need to come and defend this episode. Especially based on the last few reviews on this site (some of which say that Lost is going downhill based on this episode…all while saying that "The Constant" was a masterpiece? Huh?). Personally, I thought this episode was better than "The Constant," which I liked…but best episode of Lost ever? Really TV.com? Really!? ---

I thought it was obvious that the producers were going to throw us a more simplified episode this week after last week's more unique episode. The same thing happened last year after "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (another Desmond episode), and we got "Stranger In A Strange Land" (another panned episode). I don't blame the producers at all. Both those Desmond episodes were packed to the brim with intrigue and information, and both were told in an unconventional manner…you wouldn't want to risk your casual fan base by sending them that type of episode twice in a row (even if the hardcore fan base rejected both episodes). ----

Which brings us to "The Other Woman." I don't know why people disliked this episode so much. Perhaps it was the fact that this episode involved a love pentagon; and adding a dynamic such as that to a story (any story that isn't already established as a love story) is generally considered convoluted, uncreative, and cliché. Maybe it was the fact that this episode added a weakness to Juliet – a character who thus far has been portrayed as a very strong female. Maybe it was the fact that the Ben/Juliet relationship portrayed in this episode apparently contradicts everything we've learned about them thus far. Or maybe it was just the unlucky episode that followed "The Constant," and everyone's expectations were too high.

I don't know what episode it was; I believe it might have been "One Of Us." But there was an episode in season three where Juliet was seen in bed with Goodwin. Yeah, I know that's not substantial proof of anything…but I don't believe the producers would have just thrown this random fact into the mix for no reason. Why? So us observant fans could go, "Oh, wow! Juliet was shagging Goodwin!" No. The producers had Goodwin's and Juliet's relationship figured out nearly a year in advance, probably longer. So why wouldn't they have the Ben/Juliet relationship figured out too? Why would they just pull this new dynamic between two of their main characters out of thin air like so many fans have suggested in their negative reviews? ---

People want to know why Ben hasn't shown any real attraction towards Juliet till this episode. Well, following the island timeline, Goodwin was killed by Ana-Lucia sometime in mid-October. The beginning of season three – when we're first introduced to Juliet – takes place in late November. I think people forget just how close these events occurred after one another. I mean, really…it's only been a month and a half…less actually! Why the hell would Ben be all goo-goo eyed over Juliet after those recent events? Yeah, Juliet still did what Ben wanted a few times during season three, but that was only because Ben was her only way of ever getting off the island. The only reason Juliet even did Ben's bidding in this episode was because everyone was in danger of dying. ---

I think Juliet's fear of Ben is somewhat justified at the end of this episode. Yes, Juliet has never shown any real fear of Ben before this episode (quite the contrary actually), but this fear also occurred only moments after Juliet was nearly conned into killing Daniel and Charlotte (and perhaps the entire island). I think Juliet realized that Ben does have control over her...which is similar to what Ben said at the end of this episode about owning Juliet. And naturally that has Juliet worried that Jack may fall into a similar position as Goodwin. ---

I don't know, personally I think everything fit together really well…but maybe I'm in the minority. I really liked this episode. The love pentagram didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought it put a lot of the islands events into a new perspective. And I liked how it took a minor character like Goodwin (who you never thought you'd see again), and made him and his death significant. The flashbacks fits Ben's possessive character and I think they added a further dynamic to The Others and Juliet. ---

And I didn't even talk about the rest of the episode, which was just incredible! I mean, the Ben and Locke stuff? Just great stuff. Great stuff all around. Can't wait till next week!
  • Why this episode was voted the least liked episode of season 4, I will never understand as this is definately my favourite episode of season 4.

I have to see even on top of amazing episodes such as The Constant, Cabin Fever and There's No Place Like Home, this episode is one of my favourite episodes of season 4, simply because everything seemed to be right about it. We had amazing acting from Elizabeth Mitchell, Michael Emerson and Matthew Fox, we got to see one of the most dangerous Dharma stations yet and we also found out who is behind sending the freighter to the island...and it was an amazing moment. The episodes flashbacks centre around Juliet after she has recently arrived on the island. She begins to have therapy sessions with a harsh and bitter woman named Harper Stanhope but is soon cheered up when she meets Goodwin, who she begins seeing. The plot thickens when we realise two things 1) That Goodwin is married to Harper and 2) That Ben has a major crush on Juliet and will stop at nothing to make her his. Elizabeth Mitchell is able to play the sensitive, naive Juliet that we've come to associate with her flashbacks so perfectly, whilst Michael Emerson delivers one of his creepiest and possibly heartbreaking performances of the show. By the end of Juliet's flashes we realise that Ben sent Goodwin to be the tail section spy on purpose, hoping to get him killed and it seems his plan worked. As Juliet weeps over Goodwin's body, Ben says that he still can't understand why Juliet doesn't realise that she is his property and no-one elses.
    But why is Ben so fixated on Juliet, before he even got to know her? Harper makes a comment to Juliet during one of her sessions that the reason Ben has a crush on her is because she looks just like "her." But who is the "her" to which Harper refers. As most people think, could it be Ben's childhood lover Annie who has possibly died sometime on the island. Maybe Ben still hasn't got over her. Or maybe it could be a reference to Ben's mother who seems to play an important role in his life. In a future episode we see that Ben has a portrait of his mother in his house at the Barracks she he clearly still cares about her, even though she has been dead for so long. Back to the future, Juliet gets a visit from Harper who tells her that Daniel and Charlotte are going to the Dharma station, the Tempest, and that they will release the gas (presumably the same gas that killed the Dharma Initiative in The Man Behind the Curtains), killing everyone on the island. Jack and Juliet set out to stop them but upon their arrival at the Tempest it becomes clear that Daniel and Charlotte are trying to stop the gas from being released, not trying to release it. Apparently Ben, or one of the others, tried to activate it when they heard the freighter was on it's way. Juliet is forced to make a choice as she holds a gun on the two of them. Should she listen to Ben Linus one more time or finally except that he is a monster and capable of anything? Eventually she lowers her gun, allowing Daniel to shut off the gas and it seems that once and for all Juliet has signed over her aligance to Jack and the survivors.
    Back at the Barracks meanwhile Locke is beginning to lose his grip on his group. Claire is questioning his methods of getting information from Miles and Ben seems to know it. Ben eventually agrees to tell Locke who owns the freighter if he will allow Ben to sleep in a proper bed and eat from a table. Locke agrees and the viewers are shocked to learn that the owner of the freighter and in effect, the person who plans to kill everyone on the island is...Charles Widmore, Penny's father and Desmond's antagonist. I have to admit when we saw Widmore bidding for the diary of the Black Rock in the previous episode, I thought it would take the writers another two seasons to admit why he was doing that, but it was basically answered in the next episode. Widmore wants the island to exploit it and was probably hoping that the Black Rock's diary might hold some info on where the island was. In the final moments of the episode Juliet tells Jack that they can't be together because of Ben and Jack says that if Ben wants to kill him than he knows were to find him. Everything seems to have ended happily for Juliet but things are still going to a boiling point as we learn more about the freighter and about why they are on the island. There are some key questions to take from this episode. How did Daniel and Charlotte know that Ben had used the gas previously? Does Widmore have more information on Ben than we think? And how does Widmore even know about the island? Has he heard of it through his connections to the Dharma Initiative or has he been on the island himself? Well, it seems we will have to wait patientally for these answers and heres hoping that season 5 will present them in a timely fashion.
  • A little step back from other episodes of this season but it's ok.

This episode through a series of flashbacks, we explore the background a little more of Juliet and her time spent on the island prior to the crash of Flight-815. I was really surprised to see that she and Goodwin had something going on but what I was really surprised about was the way Ben reacted to her. That whole "SHE's MINE" at the end of the last flashback was amazing. Then Juliet telling Jack tearfully that Ben is going to win and they can't be because of what happened to Goodwin and Jack just simply saying "He knows where I am" that was awesome. My favorite part of the episode had to have been the last 3 minutes. Sawyer and Hurley are playing horseshoes and along comes a smiling Ben with a "Going to see you boys tonight at dinner" with him walking into his house, that was classic. I am glad to see that Ben and Locke are getting along as they are my two favorite characters on the show, although I know Ben is trying to get one over on Locke like he does everyone else.
  • I really liked this episode

To me this episode was really great and I cannot comprehend, why people are so mad at it. To me it was obvious since the first episode of Season 3 that Ben has a thing for Juliet. It might not have been so obvious but between the lines it was to be seen. This therapist lady, was she really there or was it old friend smokey who came to Juliet?

I more and more ask myself if maybe the "other" Others are more or less okay, like Goodwin, and if it is not only crazy Ben who is the bad guy. Hope that Locke takes really good care of himself and our friends and is not tricked again by Ben. The kiss at the end between Juliet and Jack was cute. It was not as heartbreaking as Desmonds phone call with Penny but ....
  • it was good and all fitted together but if you look at it in a different way nothing much happened...........

this episode was good it all fitted together juliet's affair with goodwin was weird and i think all of it fitted together in the end!!!!! i wonder if they have it all planned or they make it up as they go along. nothing really happens with juliet and jack realationship it is boring. still not quite sure on charlotte and dan if they r evil or nto but she likes hittin peeps over the ehad thats for sure!!!! i bet the gas was put on the island in case those people ever found the island and so ben on his last option would have to use it to kill evryone because the people lookin for the island r so evil
  • Juliet flashback shows she's a woman in the middle and played like a fiddle. And Locke is manipulated too.

Here we go with a Juliet story present and past, her life on the island as a new Other is shown. A third in a love triangle, or is it quad? Other-ville turns out to have been a bit of a soap-opera central. And like a daily soap, this episode is full of terse, cryptic dialog,c'mon, people actually talk in more than two sentence converstions, a minor story is told, and supposed to leave the viewer tuning in next time. This was a very average episode, lacking in spark or wit. Locke's character disappoints, the growth of Ben as an omnipotent mastermind is becoming unbelievable.
  • Just a bit too clever for its own good, or a massive misstep?

Under normal circumstances, an episode centered on Juliet would be a welcome prospect. Even more so, an episode written by Drew Goddard. Goddard has a history of using flashbacks as a tool for connecting continuity dots, and Juliet rivals Ben in terms of sheer manipulative power. One could argue that Juliet was one of the few people with the ability to counter Ben at his own game.

Unfortunately, the premise of this episode detracts from the promise of a strong writer and a compelling focal character. In previous episodes, Juliet's history had been fairly straightforward. Juliet had been held on the island against her will by Ben, who was more than happy to apply any means to convince her that the island was her place in the world. Goodwin, her lover and source of comfort, had been killed in the attempt to monitor and control Ana Lucia. Creating a love polygon adds nothing to that.

Ben has never been particularly pleased with Juliet's stubborn independent streak, and he has done horrible things to keep her in line. Previous episodes have suggested Ben's possible attraction to her, but the context was always within his usual range of emotional control. It seems against his character to make blatant moves to romance Juliet or place one of his own in mortal peril for standing in his way.

Instead, Ben's sense of possession is about control. Ben brought Juliet to the island to resolve the reproductive problems. As long as she feels obligation or satisfaction outside of that goal, Ben is displeased. The emergence of his cancer is indicative of this; for a time, her skills were otherwise applied to manipulating Jack into saving Ben's life.

The question is: did Ben send Goodwin to the AnaLucia Tribe because he was the best man for the job, or because it would give him an opportunity to eliminate a distraction for Juliet? It may be both, though not in the extreme. Harper's warning may come down to simply this: Ben will do what is best for Ben. In other words, romantic notions aside, Ben needs Juliet in line more than he needs Goodwin.

So why would Juliet, knowing Ben as well as she does, think that he would make decisions based on romantic underpinnings? He wouldn't have sent Juliet to seduce and confound Jack and prepare Sun and Kate for abduction if he was that concerned about keeping her to himself. Instead, it seems far more likely that Juliet's interpretation of past events was altered by her encounter with "Harper", her new mission, and lingering doubts about her role in Jack's life.

"Harper" was most likely Jacob and/or the "smoke monster" (though there is reason to believe they are one and the same, or operate in tandem). By apparently appearing on Ben's behalf, with Ben "being where he wants to be", "Harper" triggers the thought in Juliet that it has been about Ben's desire to possess her personally. Her mind plays out the evidence that could support that possibility.

Far more likely, "Harper" is aware that Juliet has no concept of Jacob's ability to change appearance or Cerberus' ability to take on the form of familiar faces. So orders from on high would mean nothing to her. Orders from Ben, however, reinforced by a sudden rush of guilt and directed awareness, are all too familiar. The last thing "Harper" wants is the deactivation of the Tempest system, since it was already found useful in eliminating one threat to the island during the Purge of the Dharma Initiative.

Juliet's mindset is further influenced when Jack finds Kate. "Harper" forces Juliet to consider that Ben killed Goodwin to assert his control over her life. She was the "other woman" who stole Goodwin from Harper, and from a certain point of view, she has found herself in the role of "other woman" stealing Jack from Kate. It doesn't matter if it's true; what matters is that the thought triggered by this analogy is "Ben gets what he wants, by any means necessary".

Juliet's conversation with Jack at the end appears to be her bid for independence, moderating by fear of the consequences. Yet Juliet has always been willing to cross Ben to her own advantage, so that doesn't quite add up. Given Juliet's history, it's far more likely that she is taking firm control over her destiny, especially in the wake of seeing the truth behind Ben's supposed goal for killing Daniel and Charlotte. Jack has a track record when it comes to defying Ben. Why not make it seem like his choice?

It all seems rather unnecessarily complicated to interpret the episode in such a manner, but it feels more consistent than the idea that Juliet is Ben's weakness and object of obsession. It also feels more consistent with the portrayal of Ben with Locke in the "present". Ben has always been very good at getting what he wants, and he plays whatever role is necessary to ensure it. He gains freedom (and therefore the ability to regain control) by handing Locke the impression of control.

It's no surprise that the "rescue party" was sent by Charles Widmore. That writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Whether or not Ben's explanation for Widmore's interest in the island is entirely accurate is another question. Widmore would know about the aspects of the island available for exploitation from his connection to Hanso and, by extension, the Dharma Initiative data. So while Ben's explanation is generally reasonable, it's vague nature suggests a very specific hidden truth.

As far as the man on the boat is concerned, all the evidence is now pointing to Michael. Never mind that the conclusion is supported by endless press releases; it fits perfectly into Ben's form of manipulation. Ben would have known about the threat posed by Widmore for years, and if Michael and Walt had returned to the real world in any public manner, the news would have spread quickly. Since the world still believes Oceanic 815 went down with all passengers, Michael and Walt either never left the island (unlikely) or were sent to a location where Ben's people could pick them up and manipulate them further.

Ultimately, this episode appears to present a number of contradictions, even as it attempts to slide into the established continuity. Those contradictions can be resolved, but it relies on a level of manipulation from Ben, "Harper", and Juliet (within and without) to make sense. If future episodes fall in line with the manipulation theory, then this is simply a case of overselling a concept and falling short of storytelling goals. If not, and this is a shift in the characterization of Ben and Juliet's complicated history, then it would be a massive self-inflicted wound.
  • Juliet and her past on the island

In this episode called "The other woman" we learn information about Juliet's life on the island. Juliet and Goodwin had a relationship, and Goodwin's wife who was Juliet's psychologist figured out what was going on. She threatens Juliet but their secret relationship does not end. Another information we learn in this episode is that Ben had a crash on Juliet and that back when oceanic815 crash-landed he sent Goodwin to the tailies on purpose. He wanted him to get killed in order for him to be with Juliet,because as he said to Juliet ,she was his! A very emotional moment of the episode, is when Ben takes Juliet to see her dead lover. Anna-Loucia had killed him.
    Back on the island, Charlotte and Dan disappeared into the jungle going to the tempest,the station which gives electricity to the island. Juliet and Jack go after them to stop them from realising gases which would kill everyone on the island. On the way to the tempest, Charlotte and Dan encounter Kate who was returning from the barracks. Kate figures out that something goes wrong and when she asks to see their bag, Charlotte knocks her unconscious. Afterwards, Juliet and Jack find Kate, but Juliet gets away from them and goes to the tempest by her self. There, she encounters Miles trying to do something on the computer while wearing a mask. Charlotte appears and they have a fight with Juliet. At the end, Dan manages to finish what he was doing,and fortunately he and Charlotte did not have a bad purpose,they were just trying to help.
    Back at the barracks, Ben comes to an agreement with Locke to release him when he shows to him a tape with Charles Widmore killing one of Ben's associates. In addition, Ben reveals to Locke who his spy is on the freighter.
    Wonderful episode,informative with one of my favourite characters being the centric one.
  • the "loving" side of Ben

Well that was a very interesting episode. We got to see plenty of others and how they plan things out, it's so cool to see how they live and work. Once again we get a few answers and have to ask more questions. We learned Ben has a huge crush on Juliet and Jack ain't scared of Ben. Michael Emerson is so good at being Ben it's scary. I love when he was all dreamy eyed for Juliet in this episode. Him trying to touch her by the microscope and woo her with dinner was too good. Then to see how quickly he turns on her and leaves Goodwin out to die is freaky. He is very dictator-ish the way he runs things.
  • In an episode that would have seemed to fit better in season 3 than season 4, we learn more of Juliet's story on the island, of Ben's ability to manipulate and the man behind the freighter.

This was a strong episode but it pales in comparison to last week's brilliant epic. It also fell more in line with the plot/themes of Season 3, with the exception of Ben and Locke and the Charles Widmore reveal.

In the flashbacks, we learn that Juliet's relationship with Goodwyn was an affair. He was married to the group's therapist. Why a therapist? Juliet reveals that it is stressful to be an other. This is true, given that Ben manipulated everyone and has most people living in fear. He kept Juliet prisoner on the island because she is "his". She must remind him of someone from his past, possibly his mother or Annie or another woman. I believe that Ben's past lover got pregnant and died, adding yet another layer of torture to Ben's motives. Afterall, everything he does he does for the Island. The Island, so far, has treated him with an abusive father, haunting memories of his mother and possibly the death of his lover and unborn child. How does Ben react? Be sending Goodwyn on a death errand, courtesy of a revised flashback of the plane crash from Juliet's perspective. We also learn that Juliet has helped tail-section survivors integrate into the collective, mainly Zack and Emma. Juliet then is taken to visit her lover's dead body, who has recently been impaled by Ana-Lucia. In real-time, Jack and Juliet go in search of Daniel and Charlotte who, according to a vanishing Harper (Goodwyn's wife), are headed to the Tempest to recreate the purge. Juliet must kill them, as per Ben's instructions. This is the third person we've seen be ordered to kill on Ben's behalf. First Michael did it to release Ben from the hatch. Second, in a flashforward, we see Sayid murdering by way of orders from Ben. Now Juliet (who, as far as we know, has never killed anyone) is willing to go along and kill the newbies based on what Harper said Ben wants. But who is Harper? How did you rise the whispers and then vanish? Since we know the Monster communicates with Jacob and that is can also read people's memories, perhaps this wasn't actually Harper but the Monster. And the Monster is channelling Jacob (and Ben) to do its bidding. Why would the Monster want to protect the gas-action? Yet another good question.

Jack and Juliet run into Kate, who has been knocked out. As Jack tends to the woman he confesses his love to just a few days ago, Juliet runs to find Daniel and Charlotte about to release the gas in the Tempest station. Only they are not there to release the gas and kill everyone. Rather, they are there to prevent it from happening ever again. Yes, they know about the previous purge and they have ordered to make sure that Ben can't use this weapon again.

In the end, Juliet and Jack kiss. But over at the Barracks, Ben informs Locke that he's always got a plan. He says this as it is shown that Locke is without a plan and his people are questioning his wisdom, including sweet Claire. Ben then makes a deal with Locke. If Locke releases Ben back into the society he will reveal who is behind the freighter and who his man is on the boat. The audience learns that Penny's dad hired the boat and will stop at nothing to exploit the island's unique properties. Locke then learns the shocking identity of the man on the boat, although we (the audience) are not privy to this conversation. We are, however, smart enough to have figured it out. All bets are on Michael. In the end, Ben is at large. It is also revealed that Hurley is better than Sawyer at horseshoes, yet another game that Sawyer loses to Hurley.
  • A superb, though not completetly flawless character driven episode.

I guess most of the negativity surrounding this episode is because of the previous episode, "The Constant". It just set the bar way too high - and it's obvious why can't "The Other Woman" live up to it: simply put, to have an episode like that again, there has to be a setup phase, and this episode enters that phase, but unlike most setup episodes, this one doesn't feel dull... no, far from dull. Using a setup / transitional episode as a character episode is not a new thing to Lost. Just think about "Par Avion". While this episode is a Juliet centric episode, it's more of a Ben/Juliet episode. We learn a new side of Ben, a side that I thought will never be touched upon. He had/has a crush on Juliet...

Ben as a lover - can it get any more awkward? The flashbacks were filled with awkward nailbiting scenes, very well done. Present time Ben finally revealed some secrets to Locke, earning his trust, proving himself to be useful - Ben is not a prisoner anymore.

While it's been speculated since season 2, it's nice to know finally that Charles Widmore is after the island, and it's his boat, not Penny's. I always love, that in Lost, to recreate a certain atmosphere in the flashback, the producers bring back characters who died - and even when they were alive, they had minor roles. That's why this episode we see Goodwin and Tom again, and was it great? It surely was!

As far as negativity goes, there isn't much. The build up to the Tempest was somewhat false and forced, but at least it gave motivation to the characters. A typical Drew Goddard episode too - lots of over the top dialouge that doesn't actually sound corny, and alot of twisted humor. Most memorable quote:

(Ben to Juliet)

You're mine.

Woah. Take that! Overall, superb episode, with more character mythology than island, but that's what Lost is ultimately all about. Kudos to Michael Emerson and Elizabeth Mitchell for delivering the best performances of the episode.
  • Another Solid episode.

"See you guys at dinner!" That phrase was so funny. The whole last scene cracked me up, Sawyer and Hugo make such a great duo. How good is Michael Emerson? He just can`t stop getting better. The episode is an Juliet flashback(they did teased a flash forward at start). So no Flash forward, what does this mean for the chracter, it`s too early to say. But the flash back was none less interesting...revealing the one way love story of Ben and Juliet. I love it when Ben says that Juliet is his..smartest man of the island. We saw quite a different side of Ben in the episode.
    The big revelation is that Charles Widmore is the man for whom the people on the boat are working. Well it was theorized before and we got a hint in last episode, so can`t say it was an OMG moment. This surely means that Desmond will certainly remain a major character for a while.
    As for Ben`s spy...am 99% sure it`s Michael. It got to be him...but we never know with Lost.
    And oh....the love triangle stuff is now a love square (not sure about the term here) Juliet is in (would you believe that) and yeah Jack-Kate talking was the only boring moment of the episode.
    It was not a "The constant" standard episode but you can`t expect every episode to be like that. This Season is turning out to be a masterpiece and this was no road block.
  • Juliet-centric episode doesn't do much to advance the plot per se, but we do learn a lot about her & Ben's relationship and get to see some solid acting all around

Alright, first and foremost, let me say that nothing that happened this week--short of rescue--could have possibly topped last week's moment between Penny and Desmond.

That being said, it was with trepidation that I watched this week as it had all the makings of a let-down episode.

Thankfully, that didn't happen.

While this episode didn't really do much to advance the plot--short of Dan and Charlotte stopping the gas and us finding out who is Ben's direct enemy--it did provide some interesting things to reflect on.

So our boy Ben's got a crush does he? This episode was cool in the way it kind of threw a new twist on some of the events we've already seen take place, and you've got to love the should we trust her/should we not trust her thing they've got going with Juliet's character.

Ben strikes a deal to get free, which is kind of like watching one of those really dumb people in a horror movie go into the dark quiet room. We know this isn't going to end well, but hey, it's a fun ride right?

Something strikes me about Juliet. The more i think about, the more I doubt she'll make it to the finale. Something just tells me she's going to never get off the island, and i mean that in a Paola/Niki sort of way.

Still, with only two weeks left until the big "jaw-dropper", this episode was solid enough to justify spending an hour watching yet not strong enough that my desire to see more has waned. OUT!
  • Basically the story falls on Juliet, and goes a little more in depth about her situation on the island. It also introduces another character that was part of the others.

I don't want to get to in depth of a summary for this, I just want to say that I personally felt it got back on track to the series as apposed to how the last few episodes have been. This one felt like a season 3 episode and got us back on the present/past storyline deal. It felt really good to have that again, and maybe future episodes will be like that. There is still a lot to learn about the island before we leave it again. We need more insight about the Dharma Initiative and who exactly is Ben, and what is that black smoke. Just can't have the serious go into the future to soon without knowing these things. The beginning of the Season was great, I just felt that it was going way off track of what it really going on.
  • Great episode. It felt like the "old" Lost again.

After last week's episode (which wasn't one of my favorites because of the whole "time travel" thing.), I was very satisfied with this one. Plus the fact that this season so far has been moving at a very fast pace, it was nice to have a bit of a "breather" for a change.

To get the negative out of the way first.... I wasn't thrilled with the gas storyline. If there had been insinuations about it through out the show, or even just the season, it might have been different. But it just seemed to appear out of nowhere in this episode.

Juliet's flashback was very well done. It was like the ones in season 1. It didn't directly move the Island plot along, but it did provide good information on here and her relationships with and to those in her camp, especially Goodwin. Nice to see him in the show again. And for me it raises questions about Ethan. Did Ben see him as a threat to his 'relationship' with Juliet too?
    But at least we finally get to know who the real owner of Not Penny's Boat is, and the common enemy to Ben, the Others, Locke, and everyone else on the island is.
  • Great episode, even though it's an "Hold-school" lost episode.

The sixth episode of the fourth season of "Lost" is about Juliet. As "The Constant" goes with flash-backs instead of flash-forwards, and in it's structure is close to the episodes of the first and second season. The time of the flash-backs is before just before, and immediately after the plane crash, and as I said the protagonist is Juliet. We realie, during the episode how Ben is crazy about her (in fact he considers her "His"); but at the same time how she loves Jack. We get in touch with another Dharma Station, "The Tempest", expecially for what concernes its being a potential killer for all the people on the Island. I'm not gonna tell anything more (expecially for not ruin anything to those who still haven't seen the episode)but I think that with 3 more episodes to go we (Lost-fans) are soon gonna have to deal with one of the biggest cliffhangers of the tv show.
  • This episode gave me the creeps. Ben is officially the creepiest villain on TV!

A lot of creepiness going on...we take a classic flashback back to Juliet's arrival on the island and adjusting to life there. The flashback story consisted of providing a greater depth to her 'fling' with Goodwin (which we saw briefly in another Juliet episode). The two hit it off pretty well, except Goodwin's married to this Other we meet for the first time and she is pretty creepy herself.

But perhaps the creepiest thing about this episode...Ben's romantic obsession with Juliet. You would think after watching many endless scenes with the two of them together that you would think that there was no romantic conflicting issues between them. Perhaps this was something that the writers didnt think about doing until now. When the creepy jealous wife of Goodwin told Juliet that she reminded Ben or "her" I was thinking Annie, anyone else?

I knew Ben would have to break the news to her about Goodwin's death but to bring her to his rotting corpse?! That is just disturbing and yet so Ben like!

Ben is truly a creepy and now very disturbing villain. I kinda like it all twisted that way.
  • this was okay but again nothing major or relivant has been revealed.

i was waiting for something good from this episode but instead i got the feeling that it was just above average. the only revalations are that goodwin was married to juilet's shrink (we found out in season 3 that they were sleeping together) and Ben has a thing for juilet! that pretty much the mark of the while episode, the gas isn't really a revalation because we know ben has a history of mass murder by using gas (not really a major inclusion) and dan and charlotte are trying to help rather than hinder the survivors... i would have liked to have found out more about why they're helping rather than the writers just padding out unneccasary plots!!

oh well i still ove the show but the posters and advertising promised "answers are coming" i guess they just be at the end of the series to keep us watching until 2010 when the show finishes!
  • Interesting setup but the first real slow-moving piece of the season.

So who is the "Other Woman" Juliet at first when she is the woman with whom Goodwin is having affair. Then it becomes Ben as he claims Juliet as his but has to compete with Goodwin. Now has it become Jack? I agree with another reviewer when I state that Ben's obsession with Juliet is linked very closely to her research and not to a sexual or romantic interest in her. Ben's obsession with the fertility study stems from his own mother's death and very possibly has a traumatic effect on the situation on the island. In the end, I'm not really sure it matters.

There seemed to be several scenes in this episode that not only dragged but were pointless. The music, while supposed to augment drama and tension, almost made it painfully obvious that the scene was going nowhere. For example, Juliet treating Goodwin's chemical burn, which most likely came from his work with the chemicals at the Orchid station. This was all but revealed later in the episode, as was the Ben-Juliet-Goodwin triangle, making the first scene superfluous. Then there are situations that are interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling. To an extent, I enjoyed having to decide whether to root for Juliet or for Daniel and Charlotte. After "The Constant" Daniel seems legit. After this episode, Charlotte seems like a brute. And honestly, after "Eggtown," Juliet seems like the most intelligent female character on the show. But I had suspected that the gas at the Orchid station was a threat only if Ben chose to use it as a last resort defense. Daniel's "rendering the gas inert" seemed contrived but whatever. I would not be disappointed if this is really what he did and we never returned to this plot. What does matter in this episode is Locke's uneasy role as the leader. He was much better when he could selflessly contribute to the tribe, whether it was pork meat or shamanistic advice. Now he is in a position where his interests conflict with those in his tribe. He is also still easily manipulated, which risks the rest of the tribe. What is made clear by the final scene is that Locke needs Sawyer. Just as he needed him in "The Brig." This was neatly foreshadowed in "Eggtown" when Sawyer discusses the role of "sheep" in their tribe. Locke needs Sawyer's stubbornness and Sawyer's slowly developing sense of belonging. Together, the two could, and possibly will, protect their group and the island. And they could do it without the assistance of Ben and his bottomless deck of trump cards. This is why Jack should have listened to his own advice and not trusted Ben with anyone but himself. Jack's role has really been diminished lately as he fumbles around trying to get the phone to work and trying to get people to listen to him while he quietly second guesses himself. Jin's response to Jack's questioning of why he let Daniel and Charlotte slip off into the jungle was hilarious. I think it was meant to be sarcastic. Kind of like when your boss tells you to do something that you know is wrong and is only going to cause more work and problems later, but you have to do it anyway. Then when those problems do arise, you have to remind her or him what caused them in the first place. Comedy. What this episode does (intentionally) well is tell a stand alone story. This has been a strength of this season. The mysteries are slowly coming together one episode at a time. Hopefully when the writers will implement a multi-part arc later this season. If so, it will be all the more effective due to these first few episodes. But overall, this story moved a bit too slowly.
  • Thou shall not covet thou shrink's husband

The worst example of retcon begins with the introduction of Harper, Goodwin's wife, as in the Goodwin Juliet was sleeping with back when ...wait for it: Ben was obssessed with her. Yeah! apparentely, after the master piece that was "The Constant" last week, the writers decided to completely ruin one of the most perfect mix of collaboration/rivalry in any relationship I've seen on this show and turn it into the tale of one creepy stalker Ben who captured naive PhD Juliet so she would be "his" until, of course, handsome Dr. Jack would come to her rescue.

It didn't matter that they had to re-write Ben and Juliet's entire history in the process or Ben's sole motivation to bring her here: she was not brought to heal pregnant women so the others would finally settle on this island, she came here because she looked like Annie (the only "her" Harper could've been talking about since she never met Ben's mother) and so Ben wanted her for himself. The worst part? Goodwin now was killed not because he disobeyed Ben's orders in order to bring Ana Lucia to the fold but because he was sleeping with Juliet (despite being married, that adulterer). In the middle of all this CRAP I can hardly pay attention to what Charlotte and Daniel are trying to do because the sheer thought that the writers had to ruin not 2 but 3 perfect characters just so Jack could get "the girl" in the end makes me so MAD that I must give this episode the worst score possible.
  • Exellent episode !

This episode had some awesome parts that made me so
    crazy. The part was between Locke and Ben....

I was chocked when i heard that pennys father is
    looking for the Island so despertly. I realy wonder
    why he want the island so much? I never expected
    HIM of all people to be involved, maybe thats how
    penny knows a bit about the island when she said that
    to Desmond, a small connection that penny maybe
    found some files at her fathers office or something
    about the island. I wonder how he will act when he
    finds out that Desmond had found the Island before him.
    That would make pennys father feel he is not the first
    one to get there and sail around the world as he said.

So anyway, the biggest question is... who recorded
    that tape "Red Sox" ? Ben? or someone from his people?
    And what did realy happened when he said to Lock that he
    should sit down when he asked about "the man on his boat".

man i realy cant wait to see the continue of that part.
    Ben just walked out of the house like everything
    was fine and Locke accepted Ben telling the truth of something or what ever.
  • A dangerous mission to a new Dharma-Station, some interesting background story and a lot of character development. All in an old school episode of LOST.

Wow! How can so many people call this a filler-episode? "the other woman" is LOST how it used to be at the begining. Brilliant writing, tension everywhere and some of the best actiong in television. And it that wasn't enough, we get many definite answers. The Juliet story starts out slow but becomes thrilling when focuses more on Ben and we learn more about the intensions of both of them. On the way to a Dharma-station called "the tempist" we alo get a good idea of what Charlotte and Daniel are up to. But the highlights are the scenes with Ben and Locke. Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn are amazing actors and their characters are the most interesting ones on the island. They make a deal, which brings us the FINAL answer to a question we've been asking for a while.

But as I already wrote in a review a few weeks ago: It's not about the answers, but about storytelling and thrilling television. And that's exactly what we get here.
    In my eyes the best episode in the forth season yet!
  • I actually enjoyed this episode a lot.

Ok I admit this might've been the worst episode of Lost season 4, but it was darn good for me. Personally I enjoy Juliet episodes a ton, and this one was no exception. This episode foreshadowed a ton about how Ben will probably use her in a future plot, and in the past how he was over protective and manipulative showed a great deal that we Lost viewers probably didn't know. Great acting on whoever plays Locke and Ben too. I liked the ending between Jack and Juliet, although I am not too sure it will happen I just love Jacket soo much, and the kiss at the end was awesome so yea... I enjoyed this episode, watching Ji Yeon now=)
  • So Funny...

What can I say baout this episode? It was awesome. It didn't beat last weeks episode but it was still very good. I was really dissapointed when Jack and Juliet kissed. But Kate cant have him all to herself. I really enjoyed he episode, it was very enjoyable! I liked the way this episode was mostly on the island I have got to say I have missed the island alot. How funny was Ben? He was so cute, the way he was running around everywhere. I just hope Jack will be okay you know about the Ben liking Juliet thing. I thought that was so funny and him running up the hill was so, so funny. All in all a very good epsiode and a funny one too.
  • a step backwards from the previous episode, but still very good

Quite a good episode, you learn more about the life of the others. The flashbacks where not clearing thins up, we knew everything already. I am happy that we learn how Ben killed the guys from the darma inisative.

Charles Witmore is a very intruiging character, and I want to know how he knows about the island. The fact that Jack has chosen for Juliette don't really interest me. The acting Michael Emerson was again very good, Ben really is a creep. The final scene was also funny with Hurley and Sawyer, but it whas pitty there wasn't a "wow" ending.
  • More of Juliet's past is revealed and future events are set up in this interesting episode. (Spoilers)

The episode after "The Constant", many have had their eyes on this and it was likely that the quality of the previous episode would affect people's opinion of this one. "The Constant" set the bar higher for Lost episodes, so it must be realized that not every episode will get it 100% right like "The Constant" did. "The Other Woman" was an excellent episode with plenty of information and major character development.

Juliet is meeting with her therapist, Harper, who seems a little cold and kind of mean. The session is interrupted by Tom, who leads Juliet outside to find Ben who is greeting her with flowers in front of her new home. Ben explains that she is welcome and that her house has all the amenities, even though Juliet will only be there for six months...Juliet is later shown crying in the medical ward after one of her pregnant patients died, she is met by Goodwin who is looking for medical treatment.It is at this time that Goodwin reveals he is married to Harper, who Juliet had criticized in front of him. The two begin an affair, which Harper learns of and warns her to stop for Goodwin's sake, because Ben likes Juliet and could possibly harm Goodwin if he learned. Juliet then has dinner with an overly giddy (read: scary) Ben after the plane crashes. Juliet inquires about Goodwin who was sent on a mission, but Ben plays coyly with her. Ben later leads Juliet to Goodwin's corpse and harshly explains to Juliet that she is "his".

On the island, Daniel and Charlotte sneak off to carry out their plan which seems to involve gassing the people on the island. Jack and Juliet follow them, with Juliet being encountered by the whispers in the jungle and subsequently Harper herself. Harper tells Juliet that Ben wants her to kill Charlotte and Daniel, and that Ben is right where he needs to be. Jack encounters her too, but she vanishes without a trace. Daniel and Charlotte encounter Kate who sees that the light on Daniel's phone is on after Charlotte told them it was out of power, she also notices the HAZMAT suits and Gasmasks in Daniel's bag-Charlotte then knocks her out. Jack and Juliet find her, with Juliet running off to confront Daniel and Charlotte at the "Tempest" a Dharma power station. Juliet confronts Daniel who claims he is trying to make the gas inert in order to save everybody, she fights with Charlotte as she doesn't initially believe Daniel, but Daniel was being honest and saves everyone on the island. Charolotte and Daniel are held up at gunpoint by Kate, but Charlotte offers to take her inside and show her everything. Juliet reveals her feelings to Jack and how that Ben thinks that she (Juliet) is his (Ben) and that he would not be happy if they were together. Jack then kisses her (yes!!) and tells her Ben "knows where to find him"

At camp Locke, Claire tries to convice Locke to let her talk to Miles in order to find out "whose boat it is". Locke also strikes a deal with Ben, if he lets Ben live at the barracks, Ben will give him info. Ben shows Locke a tape of who is behind the people on the boat, and as many of us predicted (myself included) it was Charles Widmore! The episode ends with Hurley and Sawyer playing a friendly game of horseshoes when Ben walks by.

Juliet's backstory was interesting at times, and then just alright at times. It revealed more info and really enhanced her character dynamic. The beautiful Elizabeth Mitchell did a great job. Michael Emerson can do no wrong as Ben, we really learned much about his character. It was just frightening to see him act so giddy because he is in love with Juliet. The story revolving around Daniel, Charlotte, Jack, Juliet, and Kate was exciting and tense. The information that Ben provided to Locke was pretty good and promises more interesting events. It was great to see Jack and Juliet kiss, normally the romance stuff is hit or miss, but I like these two together.

Dialogue was good, plot was great, pacing was good, direction was very good, cinematography was excellent. Technically speaking, this episode was incredibly good. The story had some slow parts, but overall it was very entertaining.

Overall, great episode. Season 4 continues to be strong. I don't think many episodes can measure up to "The Constant", that isn't so much a comparison as it is a statement. This episode really set up future events and was devoted to character development, never a bad thing, it's role will be seen later, and it is likely to be a big setup to bigger events.
  • "Because he thinks that I'm his. And he knows how I feel about you."

Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.Because he thinks that I'm his. (Crying) And he knows how I feel about you.
  • Forget The Constant and this would have been more appreciated

I dont get why people are so stupid sometimes and just rate episodes like this so low, just beacause it had a much stronger episode before it. One amazing thing about Lost is, that its character development goes as we learn more about a character. They dont actually change i present time. Here we learn about Juliet, although the important player was Ben. His reactions, his face covered with envy over Goodwin and his inner grief, was perfectly excecuted by Michael Emerson. Calling this a filler, is very harsh to say, it's like people decide their ratings by the endings/cliffhangers. The ending was a funny joke, with we had a few of this episode. And its not like it IS a filler, they revealed the boss of the Freighter people. Even though we all suspected it, we all had to see it on the show and not on a forum board. You should really appreciate this little epsiode as it has, A new Hatch, new revelations, drama, action and some jokes.
  • "Average" by the Standards set by Season Four

Without a doubt, to me, the worst episode of the season but still being able to score a 9.1 overall. Obviosuly not one of my favorite episodes of the show so far, but there were several moments in the episode that I did like.

Lets begin with the old fashioned flashback episode, which was a change in tempo from what we have been wacthing this season. Three of this seasons six epsiodes have been flash forwards, which I tend to watch with a more keen eye because I dont know the outcome. You know watching this episode that Juliet and Goodwin get together - you just dont know how it happens and why a lot of things happen. Juliet reminded me of Sun in this episode a lot. You think you know a character but the more times you get a flashback your opinion of her changes. Everyone felt for sun in "House of the Rising Sun" but by the time we got to "The Glass Balerina" everything about her backstory wasn't what we expected it to be. Same for Juliet in her transition from "Not In Portland" to "The Other Woman". A scene in "One of Us" seemingly so inicent with Goodwin and Juliet turns into this completly other thing that we didn't see coming. Overall the flashback was solid - with a lot of Michael Emerson lending a helping hand to Elizabeth Michell. She held her own in the flashbacks, but I always feel she will need someone else big to make her better. Which is why I think Kate episodes tend to be hard to watch - I feel she also needs a big name actor to help her out and when its centered around Lilly you don't often get that. The introduction of Harper was just kind of random to me. I almost don't want the writers to do anything more with her, but her character seemed so random and pointless to have in there for one episode. I could have come up with a half a dozen better flashbacks if the producers just wanted to stick with "Important Flashbacks" like they said. Scenes with Juliet and Harper lacked anything worth watching in the episode and being caught up in a triangle / love story not involving Desmond and Penny was a big mistake following up "The Constant". Overall - flashbacks were average, didn't feel the big "importance" of them - granted Ben got that much more complex and I like that.

On island scenes were stolen by the power duo of the show - Terry and Emerson. Putting those two together is so unfair and I dont think its just chance that those two often get scenes ranging from 2-4 minutes while everyone else gets the more old fashioned 45 seconds to a minute. A 42 minute episode could be made around those two talking and it would be amazing. The characters personalities mesh so well. Emerson talking about "Has the revolution begun" was perfect for getting inside the head of someone who is very much so new to the leader role. The reveal of Charles Widemore was very good and the spy on the boat - we know who it is, so I hope next episode doesnt hinge on that "big reveal". Juliet and Jacks portions of the epsiode were okay. The trip to the Tempest felt a little too forced to me. Nothing really happened once we got there. We do know now how the entire island can be purged, but other then that it was just Charlotte and Juliet wrestling for a minute and Juliet not pulling the trigger. Nothing much there. Jack and Juliets kiss felt right, I like the relationship between the two characters and I like how the writers waited over a season and a little more for it to really happen. The one in Through the Looking Glass was just kind of random. Overall - solid episode but it just lacked the tempo set up by a rolling season four.
< 1 2 3