Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• This should've been in season 3 instead of season 4.

6.6
    It has been hinted in the mobisode "The Envelope" that Ben has feelings towards Juliet. Heck, even in season 3 episode 2: they share an awkward moment as Juliet gives Jack soup (Ben to Juliet, smiling): "you never made me soup".

However, bringing up this matter right at the middle of the season the Oceanic Six is supposed to leave the island AND right after an episode where we got an explanation to Desmond's time travel and Desmond and Penny, the most epic couple ever contacted eachother, was a grave mistake. The episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either, mostly because of it's awkward placement.

The island plot was laughable, actually. Okay, so... Dan and Charlotte head off to a previously unseen Dharma station called "The Tempest" to release some sort of nerve gas that could kill everyone on the island(including Ben). So Juliet, all alone, goes ahead to kill both of them, as Harper Stanhope ordered(who claims to have these orders from Ben).

Not only does this SOUND really stupid, it is. First of all: how can Juliet can be so naive? Secondly: the flashforwards already revealed that Ben, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, etc would live. So there was zero suspense. And finally. What does this has to do with anything?

Not much of a surprise that Dan and Charlotte just wanted to neutralize the gas so Ben wouldn't be able to release it. This is what I call fake drama... Why couldn't Dan and Charlotte just TELL Jack what they would do? this would've made him trust them more, which is very important at this point, I think. After a series of laughable "action" scenes the characters finally stop acting like monkeys and actually discuss what's going on... and it's all crowned with Jack and Juliet kissing, which was good, but god, that dialouge they had there was HORRIBLE. Juliet claims that Ben owns her and that he would kill Jack because he's with her. WHAT? Okay, we see that, in the flashbacks, Ben was really that maniac. But in present time, NO! We've seen Ben treat Juliet like crap in season 3 - he is obviously over her!

Speaking of which.. the flashbacks saved the episode. They added a new side of Ben and explained why Goodwin had to stick around for so long. Basically, Ben was in love and so was Goodwin; but since Ben has the power to control people, he forced Goodwin to stay with Ana and end up killed so he can "get" Juliet. Loved the "YOU ARE MINE" scene, easily the best moment of the episode. Michael Emerson did an excellent job and so did Elizabeth Mitchell - but strictly in the flashbacks.

I mean, as I said before, Juliet's island storyline was laughable. But Ben's brief storyline was probably even worse. He talks his way out of captivity and shows John a recording which shows that Charles Widmore is behind the freighter. That's OK - but the whole thing just felt really poorly executed. It's a big reveal after all, but it didn't feel like one.

Thank god for the last scene - hilarious. It showed that Ben Linus can get exactly what he wants - anytime. But that doesn't save this episode.

Verdict: Island plot: 5/10, Flashback: 8/10, Overall: around 6.5, well below the Lost average.