Lost

The Other Woman

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2008 on ABC

• Why this episode was voted the least liked episode of season 4, I will never understand as this is definately my favourite episode of season 4.

I have to see even on top of amazing episodes such as The Constant, Cabin Fever and There's No Place Like Home, this episode is one of my favourite episodes of season 4, simply because everything seemed to be right about it. We had amazing acting from Elizabeth Mitchell, Michael Emerson and Matthew Fox, we got to see one of the most dangerous Dharma stations yet and we also found out who is behind sending the freighter to the island...and it was an amazing moment. The episodes flashbacks centre around Juliet after she has recently arrived on the island. She begins to have therapy sessions with a harsh and bitter woman named Harper Stanhope but is soon cheered up when she meets Goodwin, who she begins seeing. The plot thickens when we realise two things 1) That Goodwin is married to Harper and 2) That Ben has a major crush on Juliet and will stop at nothing to make her his. Elizabeth Mitchell is able to play the sensitive, naive Juliet that we've come to associate with her flashbacks so perfectly, whilst Michael Emerson delivers one of his creepiest and possibly heartbreaking performances of the show. By the end of Juliet's flashes we realise that Ben sent Goodwin to be the tail section spy on purpose, hoping to get him killed and it seems his plan worked. As Juliet weeps over Goodwin's body, Ben says that he still can't understand why Juliet doesn't realise that she is his property and no-one elses.
    But why is Ben so fixated on Juliet, before he even got to know her? Harper makes a comment to Juliet during one of her sessions that the reason Ben has a crush on her is because she looks just like "her." But who is the "her" to which Harper refers. As most people think, could it be Ben's childhood lover Annie who has possibly died sometime on the island. Maybe Ben still hasn't got over her. Or maybe it could be a reference to Ben's mother who seems to play an important role in his life. In a future episode we see that Ben has a portrait of his mother in his house at the Barracks she he clearly still cares about her, even though she has been dead for so long. Back to the future, Juliet gets a visit from Harper who tells her that Daniel and Charlotte are going to the Dharma station, the Tempest, and that they will release the gas (presumably the same gas that killed the Dharma Initiative in The Man Behind the Curtains), killing everyone on the island. Jack and Juliet set out to stop them but upon their arrival at the Tempest it becomes clear that Daniel and Charlotte are trying to stop the gas from being released, not trying to release it. Apparently Ben, or one of the others, tried to activate it when they heard the freighter was on it's way. Juliet is forced to make a choice as she holds a gun on the two of them. Should she listen to Ben Linus one more time or finally except that he is a monster and capable of anything? Eventually she lowers her gun, allowing Daniel to shut off the gas and it seems that once and for all Juliet has signed over her aligance to Jack and the survivors.
    Back at the Barracks meanwhile Locke is beginning to lose his grip on his group. Claire is questioning his methods of getting information from Miles and Ben seems to know it. Ben eventually agrees to tell Locke who owns the freighter if he will allow Ben to sleep in a proper bed and eat from a table. Locke agrees and the viewers are shocked to learn that the owner of the freighter and in effect, the person who plans to kill everyone on the island is...Charles Widmore, Penny's father and Desmond's antagonist. I have to admit when we saw Widmore bidding for the diary of the Black Rock in the previous episode, I thought it would take the writers another two seasons to admit why he was doing that, but it was basically answered in the next episode. Widmore wants the island to exploit it and was probably hoping that the Black Rock's diary might hold some info on where the island was. In the final moments of the episode Juliet tells Jack that they can't be together because of Ben and Jack says that if Ben wants to kill him than he knows were to find him. Everything seems to have ended happily for Juliet but things are still going to a boiling point as we learn more about the freighter and about why they are on the island. There are some key questions to take from this episode. How did Daniel and Charlotte know that Ben had used the gas previously? Does Widmore have more information on Ben than we think? And how does Widmore even know about the island? Has he heard of it through his connections to the Dharma Initiative or has he been on the island himself? Well, it seems we will have to wait patientally for these answers and heres hoping that season 5 will present them in a timely fashion.