Lost

The Package

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2010 on ABC

• Not very exciting.

This episode didn't really make me feel anything...it was alright but nothing really happened that interested me. Sun and Jin have been looking for each other for ages and that is getting a bit annoying...Locke as the man in black kind of annoys me too. I really don't like everyone on that other island, you know those ones who captured Jin. Why are they even around?

The universe where the plane didn't crash was probably the most interesting part of the episode but that didn't actually happen so all in all it was pretty pointless. I like Desmond so his return at the end was good to see...I'm still not getting any real spark from this show anymore...
  • While mainly a Sun and Jin centric show this one was pretty busy filling in a lot of storylines.

The two Koreans are just boy/girlfriends in the sideways world here, Sun is quite the seductress as she loosens up her buttons, baby. Jin is mixed up with the bad dudes and we see how he ended up in the walk-in fridge. Surely we've seen the end of Martin Keamy now? In island time Sun gets a strange case of aphasia and can't seem to connect with her hubby. NotLocke struggles to gather his team as the story spins and whirls. Lots of stuff happening, all in the immicable Lost way. And finally the package, who not what and there's a shocker.
  • We learn 2 things about rooms. How Jin got in his and how Desmond came out of his.

Obviously we knew shortly after Kevin Durand comes on to the screen that soon Jin will be captured by him and taken to the restaurant but will be eventually saved by Sayid so I wasn't worried about him during the episode. Who I was worried about though was Sun. Being that MiB has not been told no to in Locke's form, when she said no to him and began to run, I wondered what was going to happen to her. So she slams her head on a tree and then MiB runs away. Why? Don't know. But then MiB's people get taken out, well for a short while, and then here comes Locke running out of the jungle to see what happened to them. His enemy is Charles Widmore so now Widmore has scored some major points here and isn't exactly the bad guy we thought he was. And last but not least Desmond is called "The Package" and is told that the island is not done with him yet. What is his purpose on this island though? Is he a catalyst towards this "war" we are being setup to witness? Good episode, but is it just me or did this episode feel like it was 20 mins long? I guess one thing I have come to notice is that the episodes are speeding up in pace so I am left sitting there scratching my head saying "There is only 10 mins left to the episode??!. I want to see more!!!". So it is obvious that the plotline is drawing us in, well at least me so the producers are keeping things moving and I'd say they are doing a pretty good job with trying to answer questions in the midst of current events that are being setup to happen. Til next week!
  • Jin and Sun ! .

Sun really delivered her best performance ! .

and her finale scene with Jack was really touching and breathtaking . Jack really did an amazing and Phenomenal acting this season . and Sayid scene with Locke when he said i don't feel anything why ? and Locke simply answers him it's better for you because you don't wanna feel what's coming . ( amazing scene ) . Clarie i just felt so sorry for her when she asked Locke am i on the wall ? and he answered with a cold heart NO . if you pause the scene at Clarie face , i dare you that you will not tear ! . and Last Desmond ! welcome back , this man is a Legend , i bet he will blow you mind in the coming episodes as Always . 10/10 .
  • More answers, and developments :-)

After first finding out why Smokie (locke) wanted to leave the island, the first thing that struck was that he was well, smoke, why not just bubble over and drift away? Well apparently he just cant, or he wouldnt be here in the first place. Why can't he? He didnt explain. Could have been more forthcoming.

Some episodes ago, Sayid went to visit his brother (who is now married to Nadia - Sayid's sweetie) and then ended up some a restaurant kitchen where he killed the ppl who had brough him there, and rescued Jin in the process. For those of you wondering how Jin got there in the first place, this episode should answer that. Alpert also grows a pair of balls and for once he knows what he has to do instead just being the only guy with eyeliner (just kidding) and that is "to stop the man in black from leaving the Island". Wasnt that his mission from the very moment he started working for Jacob, in directly anyway? Frankly he can be a far more interesting character but sadly, somebody with real answers considering how long he's been on the Island but oh well, once a lackey always lackey. Whitmore kind of finalises the point that if Smockey got of the Island, all hell will break lose, and hence he's brough the package to stop that, and for some odd reason he needs Jin's help. Lastly, for an episode to be titled "Package" there was really nothing about the package except we see a drugged Desmond being dragged out of the sub. So is he the package? I guess we will just have to wait and see. Overall, not a bad episode but like all others previous episodes (except for the series finally, hopefully) did not have enough answers.
  • the package

Two years ago Desmond infamously shouted, "I'm not supposed to be here!" You have to assume he was thinking the same thing here as he was dragged out, drugged and all, from a submarine.

The Jin and Sun flashbacks are almost always boring, and tonight was no different, but the stuff that was taking place on the island was entertaining and more than made up for it.

I kind of wish that the Ben and Widmore rivalry would be renewed as those confrontations were among the best in show history, but the Widmore vs. Locke/Smokey feud has been interesting as well. Looking forward to seeing where this goes in the future. While this was a good episode and while we are all going to miss Lost when it finally signs off, I will not be missing these Jin and Sun-centric episodes.
  • Don't get me wrong, I give almost all episodes a ten. But seriously, things are starting to get frustrating even for me (I know greater fanboys and fangirls than me will give this review thumbs-down, but just think about it). They are dragging.

This episode could have easily been one of the greater episodes of earlier seasons. And I respect the "season one feeling". But as we're approaching the grand finale, things are going too slowly.

I didn't have a problem with 'What Kate Does'. Not even with 'Recon'. Now I have a problem with too much of these time consuming flash-sideways and no action on the Island. I mean story action. Sun not being able to speak English... we already suspect that's going to create some kind of a problem in later episodes. But now, it's just plain pointless. I have faith in Lost, I've always had, but the show doesn't have the luxury to stand in one place for this many episodes. I understand the pieces are slowly moving, but don't give us all the answers in the final three episodes. It's lame. Start unraveling now, let the characters discuss their situation, let them make theories, let them do something. Anything.

On the positive note, I'm glad the Dharma Initiative isn't forgotten (I had fears, especially because of the lost time in the previous season - things could have been pointed out much better). And Desmond... we all saw that coming. Or him to be more precise. All that talk about his specialness requires a lot of Henry Ian Cusick screen time. And hopefully we're getting it.

8.5 is just my way of saying: Lost, please speed up, you have time, you have fans, and I sincerely hope you have all the answers that will prove to all of us that everything that ever happened, happened for a reason.
  • Surprise.. surprise..

Ok.. I think that episode was one that had few brilliant spots and some filler moments and overall the storytelling felt very bumpy.

We all know how the alternative reality thing will be working out. I mean.. that Jin will end on that restaurant and Sayid will come. And when the moment was there, it was always quite guessable what will happen with Sun.

On the island.. I totally did not get the whole Locke camp thing.. That was confusing. I liked quite better the whole thing on the island with Sun. The garden, she speaking Korean again and yelling on Richard and he understands nothing.

And ending.. like always.. brilliant.. I most say, the Sayid "no feelings" development looks quite promising too.. I mean.. he seems to be smokies perfect errand boy now. What is going on with Desmond is the question I want to know!
  • A Word to the Wise; Answers

Okay I get it. There were no answers in this episode besides the package: Desmond. Okay I get it. Many of you probably saw that coming. I also get that it is becoming very late in the game and I understand the screams of "for the life of me LOST please stop with the teasing!! What does the alt timeline really mean??"

But what I don't get is why people are rating this show based on answers every single week instead of episode value and entertainment. I also wonder if anyone saw a subtle twist in this episode that I might be making too much of but could be significant. Lets face it, these flash sideways are an intergral part of this season and probably won't stop until maybe the last three episodes of the season. But when they do stop I believe that the crowd is in for a big reward. Then, those three final episodes that are not flash sideways will be ample time for the plot to get into second gear plus the two hour season finale I'm sure won't be an old grandma driving 30 miles an hour on the expressway. So that leaves us five hours of plot and action and answers plus who is to say that alot won't be answered in that moment on that episode when we finally figure out what the heck the flash sideways purposes are. I may sound like a broken record here but I'm really hoping that the wise will persevere and continue to trust the writers who have not failed us for five seasons. If they do fail us lets wait until the season finale is over to say so. I'm not saying I'm not a little frustrated because I am; but what I will say is that I hope fans aren't getting so frustrated about answers that they are now missing good, entertaining hours of LOST. Last night's episode was really good. It was just boiling over with supsense, intensity, and distrustthat you can tell that developments are about to explode right before us. Take these examples: Man In Black's subtle hints to Claire that if she still wants to there will be an appropriate time to kill Kate. MIB's statement to Sawyer that he doesn't like secrets referring to the fact of Whitmore trying to hide the package from him had to have a double meaning just for Sawyer who is trying to con the MIB.

Finally there was a subtle clue to the flash sideways that maybe people aren't seeing. When Sun bumps her head on the tree while running away from MIB did and they made the switched back to Sun in the flash sideways opening her eyes, did anyone get the feeling that the two mirror characters may have connected becuase of the trauma and that is the reason why Sun can't now speak English? Of course she can still understand English but maybe that is just her now dangling between the two worlds. Maybe if the characters undergo certain traumas they can actually gain some sort of access to the flash sideways. Juliet certainly seemed to. But enough theorizing for now, I really enjoyed this episode and yes I hope that more questions begin to get answered before the end, but what I think is most healthy for all LOST fans to do is to try to enjoy the episodes for what they are now and complain later if the answers still aren't given to us near the end.
  • Upon review, this episode reveals subtle brilliance!

On the surface, it's easy to find this episode a little slow and uneventful, but nothing could be further from the truth. Sun and Jin and their babies future hangs in the balance. When Sun hit her head on the Island running away from Smokey, it's not just a cheesy plot device that she wakes up unable to speak English anymore, it's much more interesting than that. It's actually that Her 2 realities on and off the Isand appear to start to run together as she can no longer speak English, like her sideways self. This is the first time we've seen these two realities directly affect each other.

This was a great character ep...and it's literally loaded with subtle and meaningful clues that are easily missed...I think this will be one of those eps that will be revealed to be very important once the whole season plays out...
  • Oh, for God's sake!

"The Package" felt like it was made entirely out of parts we'd already seen , both on Lost and on other shows. The flash-sideways change of having Sun and Jin unmarried didn't really provide the same wow factor as Jack having a teenage son, or Sawyer being a cop. In fact, it didn't have any wow factor at all. Still, even this was forgivable. What was not forgiveable can be summed up in one word: aphasia.

Really, Lost? You knocked the ability to speak English out of Sun's head? Not write or understand English, just speak it. What the hell was the point of this? I mean, yes, it was done as well as it could possibly be done, but as ideas go, it was a pretty lame one, especially for a show known for successfully delivering on some whoppers. Still, there is some really nice stuff here, and once again, the actress playing Sun delivers on the high emotion. I'm hoping the aphasia will serve as useful backstory to some future turn. Otherwise, this episode will just seem like a waste of my time.
  • Haha, Claire's not on the list

I've been pretty on board with the alternate timeline this season. It's a pretty cool concept that I enjoy much better than the time-travel from last year. But these 'Sideways' are starting to prove just as difficult to follow. In my head, I was more excited for the prospect of seeing what really would have happened if the survivors never crashed, and if through the hands of fate, they would all still inevitably end up tying together. While the show is working towards that final path for each our protagonists, I find it a little less compelling since so many key differences are changed. It doesn't really feel like the people we know. The Package gives us the biggest swerve since we learned Jack now has a kid- Jin and Sun aren't married! What the heck is going on around here!

The story itself, however, I still really liked. It turns out Sun is on a shopping trip and Jin is her bodyguard. But the issue is they're secretly sleeping together. Twist on top of that is Sun's father has known about the affair, and the deal with all that cash from the LA X premiere was that was for a hit. Jin was supposed to be offed! By Martin Keamy (another great return!) All that info there took a while to really air out, with the show deliberately keeping the audience in the dark in a way that I think won't work for everyone. The highlights for me, though was the (really sexy) blouse scene and the return of Mikhail! That dude is so awesome! The question about Jin tied up in the fridge is answered, but I was less than satisfied with the conclusion here. Sayid just went about his business, but Jin got into a fight with Patchy, and Sun (who was pregnant) got shot! Keamy made an interesting remark: "Some people aren't meant to be together." Clearly the show wants us to question the fate of these two lovers. They've been apart for almost 2 seasons now, and I wonder if, with so many couples on the show, their story doesn't end with tragedy. But Jin and Sun have to be together! That's how all their episodes work. They're a packaged deal!

On the island, Sun threw herself a bit of a temper tantrum. I can understand her character's frustration (on top of being under-used for the last couple of seasons), but going into a tizzy isn't going to do anyone any good. She went back to her garden (remember that?) and was confronted by "Locke." He told her he found Jin and she need only follow him back to his camp. Was it surprising that Sun decided not to go? Or was that not surprising at all? Dude's creepy. While running away she got bonked on the head and forgot how to speak English (?) Okay, listen...
    ....

Yeah I've got nothin. Somehow that was weirder than most things we've seen on the show, lol. Miles played audience proxy for a couple of jokes here, and I went with it. Bottom line: crazier things have happpened. But the gold star goes to Jack for having the patience to step in and quell Sun's worries. Jack's totally on board with this candidate business, and right now, he's looking like Jacob Replacement #1 to me.

As for Jin, he too is done with Smokey, and was planning on jetting when Whidmore's men tranqued the camp, and kidnapped Kwon. Charles shared with Jin baby pictures of Ji Yeon (Oh, yeah, he's never seen her before!) and also echoed Jacob's sentiments about the dangers of The Man in Black leaving the island. "We will all cease to exist." Or go to hell. Or something really evil that will amount to something really bad. Jeez. On occasion LOST tends to be be so deliberately vague that no one can ever blame a fan for getting frustrated. How about that Whidmore-MiB face off: "Do you know who I am?" "You are clearly not John Locke." Thanks.

The ep closed with a Desmond reveal that I'm sure theorists the world over are high-fiving about. Like Michael on the freighter, this was barely a surprise. The question remains though, how is it Desmond factors into this zany game? Speaking of Michael, he and Jin/Sun have always had some of my favorite side-stories on the show, so it says something that I think this may have been the weakest offering we've gotten from the Kwons. Like Recon from a couple eps back, it wasn't bad, but it doesn't play on a level I think it needs to be this late in the game.
  • Three classic villains and one little baby.

Once upon a time there were two mercenaries known as Martin Keamy and Omar, on another part of the island, the Flame Station to be exact, there was this Nadia Comaneci fan known as Mikhail Bakunin and the three of them were the most perfect villains this show has ever known, not because they were vicious, not because they were lethal but because they were committed to whatever cause, job or task they were involved with at the time and whatever they did was as shocking as it was unforgettable.

It was only fair that those three classic villains would collide in what is, perhaps, the most terrible power play Mr. Paik has ever done to his daughter; as Martin carefully explains to Jin they have been hired to kill him for no other reason than because Jin is now the lover of the boss's daughter, see the heart wants what the heart wants even in the flash-sideways scenario in which Jin and Sun aren't married, even in a life in which she's already pregnant of a little baby we known as Ji Yeon, a baby that might not survive the shooting in which her mommy got hurt.

On the island, however, the greatest moments of the episode belongs to Richard & Ilana and the priceless smile she gave him when he came back with a plan, to Jack & Sun and the moment she chooses Jacob's side though his candidate Jack and to Sayid & Desmond as they recognize one another while Des is being carried out of the sub where Widmore kept him prisoner.
  • "Some people are just not meant to be together"

Nothing much happened, but a sweet episode nonetheless. It was nice to see Jin and Sun together again for the first time since season 4, even as a hidden couple ... and Keamy's line has so much meaning ! Jin seeing his daughter for the first time and Sun's despair are classic LOST ( I didn't realize I missed that garden until I saw it ! ). Add to that good performances by Matthew Fox, and above all Alan Dale and Terry O'Quinn in a duel of badasses ( O'Quinn's monster persona has never been so scary ! ) ... not exactly one of the best episodes, but a good one anyway.
  • Was okay

I wasn't too excited about this one; Sun and Jin are okay but they've never been the most interesting of charactors, and this episode especially had a lot to live up to following Richard last week.
    Charactor wise it was spot on. Sigh.... we are back to Flash-Sideways and they still don't seem to have any point to them. Mikili losing his eye... is that some sort of explanation to his blindness? No... they are just dragging back every charactor and intergrating them in. I have no compaint there though; I love seeing old faces again, it brings the show full circle. But Sun loosing her language speak? Come on, thats something Heroes will do to pad out the episodes and Lost has been known to do that in the past, but not with 8 episodes to go. Silly. But hey! Desmond's back!!! Wooo!!! About time!!
    On the whole, this season is crawling by, with much empahsis being focused on charactor. Not a problem, but they need to start giving some resolution. I mean seriously; none of the Flash-Sideways leave them at any sort of ending.
  • A decent filler...

Sun and Jin desperately continue searching for each other. Meanwhile, Locke confronts his enemy. After last weeks episode it was always going to be hard for this episode to top that but The Package was a good episode, that saw the return of Desmond and Patchy. I saw the Desmond scene coming but it was great to see him back on the island. The flash sideways where really good filling in some gaps on what we have seen before, the ending left things open with Sun being shot, that was shocking and I cant wait to see more, all these flash sideways are connected. My favourite scene was near the end with Jack and Sun on the beach, Jack reminded me of Jacob here, I will be really suprized if Jack doesn't turn out to be his sucessor. All in all I really liked this Sun and Jin episode.
  • After last week's superlative exposition-fest, you'd perhaps be forgiven for feeling a little underwhelmed by 'The Package'.

After last week's superlative exposition-fest, you'd perhaps be forgiven for feeling a little underwhelmed by 'The Package'. Lost's latest sojourn into the somewhat dysfunctional and perpetually complex romance between our favourite Korean love birds sees a return to the more traditional motifs and paradigms favoured by earlier episodes of the show's final season; once again, we are presented with a 'flash sideways' that concentrates squarely on character beats that have been explored in quite comprehensive detail in years prior, while the counterpointing on-Island story takes a good hard look at the arc plot, but mostly strokes its chin for forty minutes instead of actually doing anything particularly productive about it. Thankfully, however, Zbyszewski and Roland's script is strong enough in other, far more critical, areas to help disguise this problem, and what the viewer ultimately walks away with is a feeling of tempered satisfaction; and while this may not be as preferable as the sort of pant-wetting excitement induced by 'Ab Aeterno', it is nevertheless sufficient to keep the show afloat and maintain an engaging level of momentum as we head into the final furlong.

Sun and Jin's 'what if...?' scenario essentially consists of a series of attempts to navigate the myriad obstacles which impede upon the actualisation of their relationship. The seemingly all-knowing and all-powerful Mr. Paik rears his ugly head once again, making his presence felt ever so strongly despite never physically showing up on screen. We discover that, as before, he quite vehemently disapproves of his daughter's fraternising and has elaborately orchestrated a false 'mission' for his aide to undertake in order to put an end to the affair. There is nothing particularly surprising in this, given that Lost has presented us with a number of episodes in which the characters have had to deal with his wrath, and so these minutiae threaten to stifle the plot, feeling like little more than a regurgitation of past motifs. However, 'The Package' attempts to rectify this by incorporating a few familiar faces into the proceedings, using Keimi and, perhaps more pleasingly, psycho-Russian Mikheil as the primary vehicles for Paik's plan. While it is tempting to read these as little more than playful fan-baiting, throwing old characters into the plot purely for nostalgia's sake, Paik's connections to DHARMA have been well established in episodes past, and so they are at the very least passable, if not entirely logical, developments. Significantly, Zbyszewski and Roland don't spend too much time dwelling on their presence, and instead offer the viewer a number of notable, and at times, rather amusing, differences within their characters; Mikheil's role as a translator (albeit one trained to use a gun) seems a far cry from his purpose on-Island, and his effective subservience is certainly somewhat interesting. Keimi, meanwhile, seems to have a far more considered air about him; for all there are sinister undertones to his actions (as demonstrated in Sayid's flash sideways), his interactions with both Sun and Jin are far calmer than would perhaps be expected from the man who rampaged through Otherton and put a bullet through poor Alex's head. He is an undesirable man, of that there is no doubt, but he is not one without reason and empathy; he cleans Jin's wound, expresses a certain level of regret at having to execute his boss's orders, and seems to sympathise with the dilemma that the lovers are facing. Of course, one could argue that all of this is borne of his unwavering loyalty to Mr. Paik, but nevertheless, there is sufficient ambiguity to suggest that, within the flash sideways universe, Keimi is a less tainted character.

These shifts certainly help to enliven the otherwise rather standard narrative; as with virtually all of Sun and Jin's flashbacks throughout the first three seasons, the beats concentrate on Jin's apprehension of and sense of loyalty to Mr. Paik on one hand, and Sun's desire for self-reliance and freedom from her father's imposing grasp on the other. Importantly, we discover that Jin's apparently archaic and rather controlling moment in the premiere, in which he demands that his wife fasten her top button, is actually a consequence of his fear that their illicit affair will be discovered; something that informs every last decision that he makes, right down to booking separate rooms at their hotel. And for all this is a fulfilling reveal, it is tainted somewhat by the familiarity of the whole scenario; hell, we're actually back to Sun hiding her ability to speak English, and suggesting that they elope in an attempt to escape from Paik's suffocating stranglehold. On a microcosmic level, yes, there are deviations from the prior course of events, but when examining the narrative as a whole, it becomes apparent that there is little fresh for the viewer to sink his or her teeth into. The dramatic irony upon which the story is predicated also seems to have a undesirably negative effect. While the structure of the plot is fairly sound, the viewer is aware of certain aspects of the outcome from the very beginning. Consequently, it is the aftermath that is the most desired plot point, and this doesn't come until very late in the hour. Arguably, interest is supposed to be derived from finding out exactly why Jin is locked in the kitchen, but sadly, this becomes clear from the moment it is revealed that he has to deliver something to someone. The mystery is entirely removed, and the viewer is left twiddling his or her thumbs, waiting for the most important moments to occur.

When they do, of course, they prove to be rather stunning. Yunjin and Daniel Dae Kim are absolutely excellent in the confrontation sequence, as they are throughout the episode, and there are a number of delightfully executed moments: the loss of Mikheil's eye is a nice touch, serving as a knowing wink to the dedicated viewer, while Sun's shooting is a genuinely horrifying development, coming completely out of left field and packing an even greater punch when her inevitable pregnancy is revealed. Crucially, Zbyszewski and Roland don't dwell on this point, removing us from the 'flash sideways' entirely in its wake, and leaving the audience desperate to find out more. It's this sort of powerful, well-written drama that has a lasting impact, and is the sort of thing that the 'what if...?' narratives could do with hell of a lot more of. Well, that and a walloping great dose of Korean; it's great to see this frankly rather pioneering level of multi-culturalism returning to the show, as not only does it magnify the believability manifold, but it also forces the viewer to work on understanding what is before them, to engage with rather than simply respond to. Oh yeah, and more post-coital scenes please; for all the build up to the sex is ridiculously gratuitous and more than a little corny, the aftermath is absolutely spot on, with Daniel and Yunjin both outdoing themselves again. And no, it's not just because they've got very few clothes on. Honest.

Perhaps inevitably, the essential purpose of 'The Package', its central concern, if you will, is to reaffirm the fact that Jin and Sun are soulmates, that they are meant to be together and that their romance will always blossom, no matter the odds. Off-Island, while this is supposedly their most desired state, things are quite distinctly bleak and their lives are fraught with danger, which is perhaps another attempt to illustrate the importance of the crash of Flight 815 to the personal development of the Losties. Still, in spite of all of these problems, they remain together, fighting to preserve their love. In the juxtapositionary narrative, Zbyszewski and Roland explore their quite literal separation, and the manner through which the gulfs of space and time that exist between the two actually serve to strengthen their relationship and their determination to unite once more. In this regard, Sun's frustration is very welcome and frankly, about time too. For the past season, her character has been reduced to asking about the whereabouts of her husband every five minutes, so to see her rage unleashed, to deal with some honest, humane feeling, is certainly a refreshing change. The scene in which she snaps is just brilliant, combining some considerably moving and heart-felt dialogue with a decidedly potent thematic realism to create something truly powerful. Yunjin Kim masterfully conveys this new-found sense of determination, and plays well off both Nestor Carbonell and especially Matthew Fox, whose subtle transformation of Jack from skeptic to dogged believer proves especially fascinating.

For Sun's 'other half', things are equally as fraught. Unrest ensues in the Smokie camp as Widmore and his cronies launch an ambush that cripples their forces and leaves Jin at the mercy of the deadly loudspeakers and subliminal messages of Room 23 (good to see Lost revisiting some of its more fascinating former plot points). Daniel Dae Kim is on fine form here, perfectly capturing the character's movement between perseverance, determination and frustration, and then practically stealing the show when Alan Dale shows him a series of photographs of his wife and daughter. It's a beautifully simple and understated scene, with the bare minimum of dialogue, which only magnifies its emotive impact, reminding the viewer of exactly how tragic their troubled love story really is. Of course, this is more than likely a manipulation on Widmore's part, since his stern cold-heartedness and dogged determination to return to his precious Island have been well established in previous episodes; what better way to convince Jin to do his bidding than to dangle the possibility of a reunion with Sun before his eyes? It's an interesting and beguiling development, this, since 'the Package' that Charles refers to appears to be none other than erstwhile fan favourite Desmond Hume. Exactly how is this former button-pusher and occasional time traveller going to win the proverbial 'war' and oust Smokie? Will he somehow be able to restore equilibrium and 'repair' those tainted by UnLocke's influence? (Sayid, my friend, I'm looking squarely at you... that confession scene is fascinatingly eerie). Might he ultimately affect the timeline and cause the flashes sideways to become reality? Only time, and a moderate level of patience, will tell.

With 'The Package', Lost returns to the standard narrative format favoured by its sixth and final season, marrying a character-centric flash sideways with a thematically related on-Island story. In the wake of an episode as mythology-heavy and downright stunning as 'Ab Aeterno', it was probably always going to struggle to compete and so, inevitably, the tenth hour does feel a little underwhelming at times, treading water rather than upping the ante. Nevertheless, there is a considerable amount to enjoy here, which is a testament to both Zbyszewski and Roland's mutual strengths as script writers and the unwavering skills and talents of Daniel Dae and Yunjin Kim, who once again bring Sun and Jin's relationship to life in the most vivid and engaging manner possible. 'The Package' may not be the most jaw-dropping episode Lost has ever delivered, but it certainly packs enough of a punch to hold its own
  • The battle lines have been drawn

After such a remarkable previous episode, it was inevitable that there would be a bit of a step backward in this installment. After all, this is still the complication phase of the season arc, and the pieces are still moving around the board. If nothing else, this episode made it very clear where the final battle will take place, and helped to clarify some of the stakes.

This episode focused a great deal on Jin and Sun, both in terms of the "Lost Prime" timeline and the "Lost X" timeline. As usual, while the "Lost X" timeline appears to be moving towards a convergence of the familiar characters in their unusual roles, there is little or no sign of how this connects to the "Lost Prime" timeline, other than the apparent lack of Jacob's intervention in their lives.

However, it is interesting to note that this is the first time that the characters in "Lost X" were not in a better psychological space when compared to the "Lost Prime" events. Jin and Sun were in love, but being targeted by Mr. Paik for sleeping with the boss' daughter doesn't look like something easy to resolve. Jin is not in a good place, and Sun is badly wounded.

Then again, this does seem to suggest, as Sayid and Sawyer's stories in the "Lost X" timeline, that some tragic events still take place, when they were independent of Jacob's intervention. Jin and Sun still live in a violent world, and there are still consequences to their choices in keeping with that world. Ultimately it may turn out better, but in the meantime, this seems like more of a reason to have Juliet appear in the "Lost X" universe. (Presumably to assist in saving Sun's baby.)

In the primary timeline, it's interesting to consider what position the characters are in, based on their respective camps. Because it is still not clear which Kwon is the Candidate, Jacob's rival cannot eliminate Jin. If he is the Candidate, subverting him until the point of departure is vital. Jacob's rival cannot allow any of the Candidates to remain alive or on Jacob's side. And that means that if Sun is the Candidate, Jin is the most convenient bargaining tool.

This is the same logic being applied to keeping Claire from killing Kate. Jacob's rival needs the Ajira plane to get off the island (or, alternatively, he could probably use the submarine). He needs to kill or control all the last Candidates to ensure that Jacob will not have a living successor. Right now, two things are in his way: Team Jacob, where Sun, Hurley, and Jack all reside, and Team Widmore, which currently possesses the plane.

As Richard points out, the best way to win this endgame is to eliminate the means. Take out the plane, and Jacob's rival cannot leave. Then, since Jacob's rival can only kill the Candidates once they are excluded (or so it appears), Jacob can make whatever selection he wants. One would suspect that the presence of both the plane and the sub is intentional. There might be a reason why Jacob's rival keeps talking about the plane as the means of leaving the island. Destroying the plane might do the trick on its own, leaving the sub as the means for the last of the survivors to leave the island for good. (Minus, of course, anyone who chooses to stay with Jacob's replacement.)

It would probably be a good idea for Richard to explain this kind of reasoning to the rest of Team Jacob, because with the proper context, Sun might be willing to go along with the plan. As it stands, she has every reason to place her priorities at the top of the list. She has a reason to leave the island. She wants to pull her family back together. If she is the Candidate, that doesn't bode well for her, even if her desire to stay with Jin and build a future is their mutual path to redemption.

When it comes to the question of who might become Jacob's successor, a lot of the evidence points to Jack. But that could be a long-term red herring. After all, Jack has serious issues. As he admitted himself, he's broken. That makes it hard to imagine that the last several episodes will be enough to put him in the right mindset to become the next protector of the island. Even if he is the kind of control freak that would perfect for the role.

Instead, there may be a more subtle endgame unfolding. Jacob's rival is under the assumption, based on the information in the cave, that Kate is no longer a Candidate. He wants to keep her alive until the end because it gives him a way to control Sawyer and potentially others like Jack. Yet, in Jacob's lighthouse, Kate's name was still not crossed out.

It's clear that Jacob knew that the final endgame was approaching in some shape or form; there were only so many Candidates left. Jacob's rival took this as the opportunity to shape Ben into the tool required for his "loophole". Jacob's countermove could have been one of disinformation. It's possible that he let his rival know about all but one of the remaining viable Candidates: Kate.

While Kate is far from the most popular character on the show, her character arc has been the most tenuous. Her purpose has never been particularly clear. Every other major character has played a critical part at some point along the way. Other than taking care of Aaron for three years (and his place in the story is still unclear, for that matter), what has Kate really achieved?

In essence, Kate has undergone a long-term redemptive process. Up until the fourth season, when events forced her to face the consequences of her actions, Kate was content to keep running away from her problems. Choosing to return to the island, for the express purpose of finding Claire and getting her back to her child, whatever the cost, is her redemptive shift. It would be fitting for Kate to make the choice to remain on the island. (Especially since she has already seen to Aaron's safety and care; even if Claire couldn't go back to raise her child, there would be no reason for her to go back to the mainland.)

Of course, Jacob understood the logic of having someone serve as his intermediary, as seen in the previous episode. Logically, there would be an argument for having the same system as worked for all the centuries before: the island's caretaker, the intermediary, and the leader of the group of potential and failed Candidates. If Kate were to become the caretaker, then one can imagine Jack being a reasonably good choice as intermediary. (There would even be a nice bit of symbolism there, after what happened in "Dr. Linus".)

With Sun and Jin having plenty of reason to leave the island, as mentioned earlier, along with Sawyer (who would probably still leave, since he technically has a family out there somewhere), who else is likely to survive? Ben is on the path to a redemptive sacrifice, Sayid and Claire are all but cannon fodder, so that pretty much leaves Hurley. And who better than Hurley to be the leader of the New Others?

This assumes that once a Candidate is chosen, the rules reset, and the new caretaker of the island would have a certain number of opportunities to find a replacement of his or her own. That assumption is based on the fact that Jacob's plan appears to be selection of a successor, not elimination of his rival. In fact, there's no reason to believe that Jacob's rival can be killed, only that he can be contained.

(A side point: if the island really is akin to a cork holding back "hell", then it seems rather appropriate that Jacob's rival was once referred to as "Cerberus". Cerberus, after all, was the hound that stood at the gates of the underworld in Greek myth. In many respects, the writers have been referring to this apparent purpose of the island for a very, very long time. In fact, elements of the Lost Experience now sound as though they were quite revealing in retrospect!)

So it all seems to be coming together rather nicely. Of course, that means that there must be some twist that will make all this speculation null and void (as has been the case since the very beginning!). Two elements still need to be accounted for, at least at it currently stands.

First, there is the existence of the "Lost X" timeline. While it serves its purpose as a demonstration of the "course correction" concept and perhaps how a lack of Jacob's intervention would have played out, that doesn't quite justify all the time taken on "Lost X" during the final season. It has to serve a larger purpose; why else would Juliet's dying words lend it such importance? Some have conjectured that this is the world Jacob's rival is promising to his servants, or perhaps that "Lost X" is the timeline that will result from the resolution of the series (thus playing out the denouement concurrent with the climax), but neither explanation rings true.

And that's because of the second element that could change the playing field: Desmond. Desmond has been shown, more than once, as someone outside of the normal rules. This goes right back to "Flashes Before Your Eyes". Desmond is tied into the temporal anomalies on the island, and he has been connected to alterations in the "Lost Prime" timeline. "Course correction" has always forced the timeline back into the expected flow, but "the Incident" was a major event in a very specific and unique location.

So now that Desmond has been revealed as "the package", what does Widmore intend to do with him? It doesn't seem likely that Desmond would be a Candidate at this point, secret or otherwise, so it must have something to do with his nature. Eloise Hawking could have told Widmore all about Desmond's unusual history. So it all comes down to the question of what Widmore thinks Desmond can do to either help Jacob (if he is on Jacob's side) or stop Jacob's rival. One can assume that Widmore wouldn't be on the island if he didn't know something of the stakes of the endgame.

There's another reason to think that the "Lost X" timeline and Desmond are connected. In reviews for previous episodes this season, the potential relationship between the electromagnetic and temporal anomalies and the purpose of the island has been noted. If Widmore has a purpose in mind for Desmond, who was originally changed by exposure to a powerful burst of that electromagnetic and temporal energy at the end of the second season, and Widmore is looking for the concentrations of that energy on the island (not unlike the pocket that was related to "the Incident"), the connections suggest themselves.

Overall, this episode was a typical transitional episode for the final season: focused on Jin and Sun on the surface, but suggestive of the big picture that is driving the resolution of the series. There doesn't seem to be much time left, but as fans well know, "Lost" is capable of accelerating without warning. The return of Desmond certainly feels like a potential game-changer.
  • The mythology side of the show is put on the back burner this week in exchange for a very emotional character driven episode.

The episode started with a bit of action as Widmore's team took out all of Locke's camp before kidnapping Jin. It was quite cool, but on reflection there's a few questions, some of which may be answered by the season's end. Firstly if Widmore did send a group of mercenaries to the island to kill everyone then why not take out Locke's team here rather than KO them? Moreover how did they get the drop on them in the first place!? Zoë said she wasn't a mercenary and remember that amongst the group are various nameless Others who at least some of which must be the awesome jungle dwellers who got the drop on Keamy's team!

Still I don't like to start of with a major complaint so let's move on to the good stuff. So Sun and Jin were the focus here; their episodes are a mixed bag. However while this episode wasn't as good as Ji Yeon (their last proper centric episode) it was still one of the better ones. The side-story was a strong one and gave us another take on Sun and Jin's relationship. I'm one who loves the flash-sideways as it's managing to show a known story in a different light. However first to get a slight criticism out of the way: in the premiere Sun's reaction to the security guard strongly implied (to me at least) that she did know English (she stuttered between "no" and "English"). However similarly to Sawyer's eyeing up Hurley then coming to nothing you can forgive the showrunners for not knowing every tiny detail of the final season at the start of it. Of course then again it could all end up making sense if one of the more popular theories about the flash-sideways turns out to be true.

So here Sun and Jin's relationship is far better than it was originally, and they also aren't married. (Be interesting to freeze frame the premiere again to make sure there was no wedding ring their either.) But as well as getting to see a more idealised version of their relationship (and a gratuitous chest shot of Sun) we also saw a couple of other familiar faces. From Sayid's episode we knew Keamy would turn up again, but getting to see Mikhail once more was brilliant! It's kind of feeling like the cast taking a bow at the end of a play and it's great to see. But more importantly it worked story-wise and the reason we liked Mikhail in the first place was because he's a really good character and actor.

The scenes with Keamy and co had a great amount of suspense to them. Even without the knowledge of Jin being in the fridge we could've guessed it wouldn't end well for him. That said how he got the drop on Mikhail was great and led to a cool little fight scene resulting in him being shot in the eye. A great and gory cheer moment! Of course then Sun had to ruin it all by not doing what Jin said and getting out of harms way. So their off island story is left with quite a cliffhanger as Sun is fighting for her and her child's life. It also brings up the question once again of is Jin the father? If so then somehow the island sinking must've upped his sperm count which is something I don't want to think too much about…

On the island we got scenes from both camps of main characters. While Jack and co waited for Richard to return Sun hit her head after running from Locke. There was a very season one feel to Sun's not being able to speak English. I can't remember any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were some supernaturally things then that could be half explained with a logical reason as was the case here. However at this stage in the game we aren't going to believe a rare medical condition, something Miles kindly pointed out. It did give a great twist on the show's mysteriousness. A similar scene a few years ago would've had Richard understanding what was being said and the audience in the dark. Here it's the other way around as we see it through Sun's eyes, understanding her rant with the previously mysterious Other completely oblivious. I also loved how she yelled and pointed to get him to understand, a technique many English speaking people try (myself included unfortunately).

Jin awoke on the Hydra station island and found himself in the brainwashing room from "Not In Portland". It was cool to get a bit more info on what that room was all about, albeit three years late, as well as being another trip down memory lane for the Lost fans. So he'd been taken so that his maps could be read by him, which I found a little dodgy. Were his notes that bad that no one else could use them, if that was the case then why did he make the maps in the first place!? What use would they have been to the Dharma Initiative if he would've needed to decipher them all the time? Also, while Widmore was familiar with time travel, I would've thought Zoë should've been a bit more surprised at how young Jin was. Regardless of what Widmore told her time travel is something that you wouldn't easily believe.

But questionable plot points aside it did lead to the amazing scene as Jin was shown pictures of his daughter. To be able to convey the amount of emotion he did when all he was doing was looking at a camera is a huge testament to Daniel Dae Kim's acting. It was a great scene and immediately had me forgive any foibles in the logic for kidnapping Jin.

Outwith Sun and Jin's story Widmore and fake Locke finally met face to face. While how much of Charles' comments were truth is debateable it was cool to get an idea of what the Others knew about the Monster. Although I didn't buy his comment that Widmore must know more due to the pylons. Sure it was good to indicate Widmore most likely isn't telling the whole truth, but Juliet knew the sonic fence would work against the Monster, so obviously Widmore would! Still it was a cool showdown scene that brilliantly set up how the season will go.

And then there's the final scene. The reveal as to what was in the locked room on the sub. As soon as Charles said it was a person it was obvious who it was, but that didn't stop how awesome it was! Yes at last, after being criminally underused for the last season and a half it appears that Desmond has finally rejoined the main story! While for the sake of the character I didn't want him to come back to the island, the fact that he's there (presumably) against his will works great. He may not have had much to do in his drugged up state, but his confused look to Sayid was more than enough to get me excited!

It's also worth noting that this is the first single hour episode to feature the entire main cast since season 3's "The Man Behind The Curtain". Maybe not something that annoys many people, but something I wanted to bring up. The fact that the episode managed to juggle the entire main cast so well was a great testament to it. It was a bit of a transition episode, with a lot of it spent with characters just sitting around, but it was still entertaining throughout. If you need to take an episode to position all the characters for the second half of the season then a great episode like this is a very cool way to do it. While I was hoping Sun and Jin would get back together in it looks like that's going to have to wait for another time. It didn't hurt the episode, and despite a few minor logic issues it was still another great episode.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Creative unfortunate dual event, empathic Sun and Yunjin Kim convincing performance, entertaining but not captivating story, disappointing Black Locke's behavior, predictable but intriguing cliffhanger

It took me nearly 24 hours to finally understand what was so special about this episode. Indeed it featured Sun and an unfortunate event leaded her to lose one of her ability. The mind who got the idea is very creative because the impact it had on the dual story was both disturbing and subtle. In the previous installments it was expressed with smooth transitions between the island and urban arcs, mirror editing and other cross-connected references. Moreover even if Yunjin Kim never really convinced me as Sun I found her performance was stronger and more authentic. She succeeded in making us care about her character and I also really liked a moment she shared with Jack near the end. What happened to her was also so puzzling that I already plan to watch the episode again to better understand it.

Jin was also featured but his role was less important than Sun's. Daniel Dae Kin gave a decent performance but nothing to mind blow us. I found Yunjin far much more convincing but her role was more demanding. As for their stories they were entertaining but not as captivating as the ones from episodes like The Substitute and Recon. In fact I think it's probably the weakest featurette of all even if it wasn't bad. It can't happen with Lost considering how mind blowing its sixth and last season is. One thing I enjoyed though is the mirror scene with the Sundown episode. It was expected considering Jin's surprising appearance in it.

As for the other characters I was slightly disappointed by Black Locke because I found its writing a bit lazy. It's like if his intelligence was dependant of what the writers have planned for him. In Sundown he manipulated Sayid and even if his heart was already infected his speech was quite convincing. In The Package his behavior was less disturbing and he even reminded me of how John Locke wasn't confident. But nothing to worry about because in The Substitute we learned that they weren't that different considering what he said to the kid, about not telling him what he can't do.

Last but not least it ended with a predictable cliffhanger but it's definitely one that intrigued me. Moreover with Richard back in the game and Charles Widmore there's plenty of elements to captivate our attention.