Lost

The Shape of Things to Come

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 24, 2008 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• A Ben-centric episode

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode because Ben has been one of my favorite characters ever since he was first introduced on the show. I've always been extremely fascinated by his character, so watching this episode was a real treat for me. The flash-forwards of Ben's life were great. Another thing that I really enjoyed about this episode with whole story line with the discovery of the dead body that washed up to the island and Daniel and Charlotte's involvement with that whole story line since I like Daniel and Charlotte so much. It was very nice to see Sawyer acting so concerned about Claire and baby Aaron. I think that Sawyer is such a great character. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four of Lost.
  • Oh my God... It was so good.

This episode was one of the most intresting episodes of all the show,it gives alot of hidden informations,it have thescence of power,and it kinda decides the fath of all the peoples on the islind.

there is the most importanat thing at the last scene when ben and charles are talking,chalres sayed that the island was his and it will be agaian that means he knew all along about the island and then ben got over there and took every thing under his control the way we know how and saw it in the prevous seasons...

We know how did sayd joyned ben in his quest of revenge...

as all of us knows this show makes alot of questions in our mind,alot of questions and some little answers so...

will ben get to penelopy and will he take her out?!

how does all of these people dye on the island?!as we know there are only 6 whom sourvived.

will they kill chalres?!

how will jacob help all of them to get out of these troubles?!

what is jacob!what is the smoke?
    and alot of lots of qoestions I cant mention all ofthem here...
    lets figoure out what are the answers.

but for the last question that I wrote...I belive that the smoke is kinda of mestical things like elves or demons or may be and Jacob is there master.
  • Not as good as I was hoping, but still good.

7.4
    This episode starts with a dead body washing up on the island. It is discovered that the body is the doctor off of the boat. The people who have Alex take her to the fence and make her turn it off. She begs them not to hurt anyone. Locke gets a call on his house phone and it simply says "Code 14J". This is a Ben focused episode. As the town is under fire Miles returns and tells Locke, Sawyer and Ben that he was released and was told to give Ben a walkie talkie, because they want to talk. We see Ben and Sayid in the near future off of the island and Sayid's wife has been killed. Ben learns that they have kidnapped his daughter, Alex. As they hold a gun to her head, he tells them that she is simply a pawn to him and that he stole her. They then put a bullet through her head. Ben stands there in disbelief. At nigh Ben unleashes the black smoke and it destroys the men with guns who have come for him. He tells the others to go on without him and that will he catch up and that he has to say goodbye to his daughter. The Charlotte & Daniel send a message back to the boat about the doctor. He lies to them and tells them that everything is fine and that the helicopters are coming back. But the teacher says that it actually said the doctor is fine.
    When jack asks out right are you ever going to take us off this island, he tells him no. Jack then becomes rather ill. Hurley sawyer, Claire and the baby want to go back to the beach but as they leave Locke pulls a gun on them. They want to Hugo to stay with them, after a bit he agrees to stay.
    We then see Ben in London, he goes to se Charles. He says he is not there to kill him; he is there to blame him for the murder of his daughter. Ben tells Charles that he is going to kill his daughter.
  • The show we all love has returned, and in it, was awesomeness

It's been a while, but LOST has returned after the writers strike and tonight, Benjamin Linus is the center of focus. In the best episode of this season, Benjamin Linus has his daughter killed to save everyone on the island, while Faraday begins to tell the truth about why his people have come to the island. Flashforwards of Ben tell us what is to be expected in the long run as people start seeking revenge on others like Ben with Charles Widmore. The best scene, definitely the smoke-monster returning, the fact that Ben knew what it was the whole time was a real shock. I wonder what will happen next time on the show, it seems Jack is sick and possibly on the verge of death. Overall, awesome episode. In it, was action, suspense, entertainment, more suspense and yeah, that pretty much covers it. An excellent return of the series.
  • Ben faces some tough times, and some questions are answered.

Finally, the return of the black smoke!!! I was glad to see it back, considering it was first seen the premiere and hasn't been around for a while, but its return just added more questions to my list. If Ben can make it appear whenever he wants to, then why did it kill Eko? But it may just be me who thinks of this, because I am still upset that he died. I really liked this episode because someone FINALLY came through with their threat. Sure, I liked Alex, but it was unexpected for her to die, and I liked that even more. Especially since the death-scare with Claire ended so nicely, something had to go wrong in that situation somehow.

I loved that Bernard knew Morse Code, and how beautifully he called the lie. That was fun. I also loved how protective Sawyer was of Claire and the baby, and especially of Hurley.
  • Linus, Benjamin Linus, International Assassin. Fear the nightstick!

Ben for this season has been a major focus and this solidifies any doubt that everything in this show now seems to revolve around him (pretty good for a character that was only originally to be in it for a few episodes). This season in particular seems to place the survivors in the middle rather than opposition and no more than in this episode. For the evolution of the show that isn't a bad thing but the change in position means our original group has become a little less interesting. Also the return of old Smokey (no longer the bandit) may have been visually great but now we know Ben controls it, a lot of questions regarding Mr Eko's death and the previous feeling of it being almost sentient are lost in the woodwork, which is disappointing.

The show this week concentrates on Island, Locke's group who are holed up in Ben's Cabin, protecting themselves from the attacking group of Freighties. They have Alex (Ben's Daughter) as hostage which gives Ben a choice, suffice to say he underestimates his opponent (which will not be good for Charles Widmore in the future). Unlike in the flashforward where he literally has the upperhand on everyone who threatens him as he travels across The Sahara, Tunisia and Iraq recruiting a grieving Sayid as he goes (which gives a perfect reason for Sayid working for him). The final scene in London is most definitely the crux of the episode though as we learn so much (although some we can't quite make sense of yet).

For the mid-season return I felt this was an amazing start, there are problems as some things are either a bit cheesy, irrelevant or a set-up for the next/future episode. In particular Jack (although it's not revealed yet, he passes it off as a stomach bug) has obviously got a burst appendix or something similar. We haven't had a Jack episode this season so it's probably about time. Likewise the whole third plot strand on the beach hardly produced nothing more of interest whatsoever except the fact that the doc might have not been killed on the boat yet. It's dumb filler as well because it was obvious Bernard would know Morse code from the first time it was mentioned, and Jack getting angry at Daniel Faraday and the reveal that they weren't going to save them at all I thought had already been covered.

Just to wrap up I'd like to mention things that I may or may not have spotted of interest. Firstly on the door into the secret room that Ben enters, there seemed to be Egyptian writing. Secondly, the rules are obviously important meaning that there is some understanding between Widmore and Ben for what reason - are they each other's constant?. Thirdly the death of survivors from Locke's camp felt to me like the old Arcade game Timecop, especially the last guy as he runs out the House and just stands for a split second before being shot - that was funny. And fourth and lastly, why are the only survivors in Locke's group the main lot - what about everyone else, were they shot and blown up or is everyone else just at the beach?
  • Exciting, thrilling, everything Lost should be.

The flash forward: It was nice seeing another Ben-centric episode, it always is isn't it. We get a look at him on October 24, 2005 and where he is then. We catch a lot of glimpses of him doing different things, but what he did at the end of the episode was the best.

The Beach: A body of a man from the boat has found its way to the shore and they investigate. Bernard finds out a liar on the beach and it's just all a bit boring.

Locke's camp: War starts and Ben loses it. Let's just say it was really exciting to see!
  • They could have done better.

7.1
    I started watching this show really late. I am living in Italy and had to watch the first 3 seasons on DVD and now I am waiting anxiously as the new episodes become available on i-tunes. I have to honestly say that this was not one of my favorite episodes and to think we had to wait like a month for it to come out, I was a little disappointed. LOST is still the best show to come out in a very long time. Charlie and Hurley are my favorite characters. Who knows maybe Charlie will be back. We are everybody! DriveShaft rocks!
  • Ben travels trough time, convinces Sayid to help him win his war and promises murder on a night bed. What a Bentastic episode!

So LOST is back, for six more episodes. I'm pretty sure the pace the story line will take will be amazingly fast... comparing to the three previous seasons.
    I mean there was really a lot of information in "The shape of things to come".
    I'm now defenitly a fan of the theory that Ben and Charles are some sort of Angel and Demon fighting over the control of the island and ultimately also over the universe.
    I have no idea about the stand of jacob, the monster and the whispers. and i also have no clue who of the two is the good and who is the bad guy, if there is actually something like that. i mean so far we know that both man have done some terrible things to achieve their goals (ben for example did the purge; charles hired keamy and let the world believe oceanic crashed in the ocean).
    anyway, lets get back to the episode. probably the most obvious revealing was that ben somehow can make contact with jacob or the monster and ask it for help.
    i think we are going to find out more about that in the episode cabin fever, when locke, hurley and ben go and find jacob.
    a not so obvious revealing that raises plenty of new questions was that supposedly there are some sort of "rules" of how to win the control over the island. so, some things are allowd and some things are not.
    who defines those rules? my best guess: jacob and with him the smoke monster.
    so what happens if you change the rules? is the "game" going out of order? probably not, else ben would have killed charles and for some reason he couldn't.
    well all that was very promising, revealing and exciting.

a bit less believable even ridiculous was how easy it was for ben to convince sayid. i mean jarrah does not even want some sort of proof that bakir and with him widmore killed his beloved wife. he just simply believes ben and a photo of the bad guy.. that was weak!
    even weaker were the gun fire sequences with sawyer. i mean come on! three poor losties have to die in a row, every time sawyer screams something like "watch out" or "go inside", three times too late, but somehow no bullet hits him and he can find shelter behind a picnic table.. AAhh, too much fiction in that scene. they should just have let him and also claire die! i mean where the heck whas she? somehow outside the house? wandering a bit around?
    that was just some lazy try of the producers to let us think that claire is in danger because we know that somehow kate will take care of aaron in the future. i'm pretty sure they will do this quite a few times more (defenitely in the next episode). and they are going to do it also with jin. as he is assumed dead as well.
    quite the same trick the used with charlie last season. i'm a 100% sure that in the end claire and jin are going to die! and they will do it in a way that we first think that they are safe, just to let them suddenly be killed afterwards.
    so.. i don't know. i have mixed feelings about lost in general. i still like it a lot. but sometimes i just get the feeling it is a bit cheesy.. i don't know.. just soemhow i seem to get no satisfaction.
    i guess the stakes are a bit too high!
    well, let my know whethter or not you share the same feeling.
    sincerely yours!
  • This episode is a great way to start off from the brief break; however, the first 15 minutes were just, as the classification says, silly.

The following review includes spoilers for the first five minutes of Lost, where the laws of action movies are blown completely out of proportion. The show starts off in another ruse to the fans as the Losties at Locke's camp are playing a painfully long game called Risk. They stop playing after a mysterious phone rings with the words "Code 14J" repeated over and over. The camp is being attacked. Throughout the first 15 minutes there is a huge problem with the "physics" of action movies. It seems like Lost is a purely psychological/emotional epic. This show does not do well when faced with action sequences. I've seen my fair share of action sequences in various action movies and what I saw in this episode was just pathetic. I got a great laugh when Sawyer was telling everyone he encounters to get inside only to get shot two seconds later. Three subsequent "extras" were killed in Sawyer's attempt to save Claire for some reason I can't fathom. After these three deaths, Sawyer runs to Claire's house in order to save her with the only thing between him and the bullets is a picket fence. After running about 50 yards, Sawyer reaches Claire's house. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

LOST

I don't want to spoil the rest of it, but I just wanted to point out the stupidity of how they start this show. It's time for Ben's flash forward when he mysteriously wakes up in Tunisia. This time we actually get a date as to when exactly this flash forward takes place (around October 27, 2005). The flash forward continues when we get to see how exactly Sayid and Ben meet up. The on-island development is interesting as Locke's camp has to deal with the repercussions of Alex's capture. We also get to see another character we have not seen since last season which is tremendously well-done. The people at the beach (remember them?) deal with a body that mysteriously wash ashore and, for some reason, the phones are out. Daniel pulls a solution out of his technological experience to ask the dire question "What the **** is going on?"
  • A rousing start to the second half of the season!

During this short spring hiatus, I played the new video game "Lost: Via Domus". I was far from impressed, and this episode actually provided me with the reason why all these other media ventures fail. The series is simply too good to duplicate successfully. The long-term payoffs and powerful characters moments are only meaningful within the context of the story arc as a whole.

Ben warned the survivors of Oceanic 815 that the arrival of the "rescue" boat was the beginning of the end, and after a steady build-up, that prediction has come to pass. The mercenaries have brought the apparently protracted cold war between Ben and Charles Widmore to a new level, "changing the rules" as Ben says, and whatever semblance of security remained has been dashed.

There's a certain irony in the notion that Team Locke fled to the Barracks to survive, considering that most of them were slaughtered. It also speaks to the reason why Hurley is available for his eventual role as one of the Oceanic 6; at this point, there is no meaningful split between the survivors anymore. It's just a matter of when the war comes to them.

The mercenaries are after Ben, and as such, the episode revolves around his choices, his responses, and his manipulations. Ben has always been one of the best characters on the series, and this episode reaffirms his role as the "evil mastermind". Even in the face of personal loss, he manages to take control and maintain focus. He absorbs his loss into the greater conflict, which gets more definition in this episode. And of course, Locke remains under his complete control.

In terms of the standoff at the barracks, the production staff played a nice bit of misdirection. All the pre-episode buzz made it sound like Claire was going to be killed, and given that Aaron is one of the Oceanic 6, this was plausible. Instead, Claire survived the onslaught, and Alex was the truly meaningful casualty. This came as quite the shock, but taken in conjunction with the flash-forward, it fit the parallels within the narrative.

Of course, now that Alex is dead, there's every reason to assume that Danielle is dead. This is an unfortunate turn of events, and it will certainly add to the accusations of misogyny leveled at the writing staff. Granted, this has been a bloody season overall, but most of the high-profile casualties have been women, granting motivation to the choices of men. There's still quite a bit to go in the season, so things could change quickly, but it will undoubtedly be a cause for criticism. (Then again, Danielle may well survive and Alex's death could push her into new and more-relevant territory. One can always hope.)

Alex's death, however, does serve to escalate the war between Ben and Widmore. The arrival of Widmore's assault team was already an escalation, but Ben was more or less content to ride it out with the survivors of Oceanic 815 as his cannon fodder. That had obviously changed by the time of the flash-forwards, and this episode covers the shift in Ben's philosophy. Logically speaking, no one else on the island could possibly drive Ben towards sustained violence. His philosophy, for quite some time, has been strength through targeted isolation, after all.

That includes isolation of information, such as the ability to control (or, at the very least, direct) the Cerberus system ("the smoke monster") to attack the mercenaries. This brings up an interesting question. Has Ben been responsible for previous appearances by the "monster", or has this always been an ace in the hole? It strongly suggests that the Dharma Initiative either created Cerberus or managed to learn enough about it to manipulate it. Whatever the case, this is an intriguing piece of information.

By the end of the episode, Ben and Locke have convinced Hurley to take them to Jacob. With the season being relatively short (especially after the writers' strike), there's no reason to believe that this will be even slightly protracted. The arc of the season strongly indicates that the Oceanic 6 event will be in the finale, so Hurley must get to the beach in the next few episodes. Locke's search for Jacob must also be resolved. And now, after this episode, it's clear that Ben must arrive at a certain destination: the Orchid Station.

Ben's appearance in the middle of Tunisia not only connects with the polar bear in "Confirmed Dead", but it connects with the viral "Orchid orientation" video, since he's wearing the uniform of someone named Halliwax. Edgar Halliwax was the name given by the man in the Orchid video that was also known as Mark Wickmund in other Dharma videos. This suggests that the Orchid Station involves a teleportation experiment, which could explain a great number of things. If the electromagnetic anomaly on the island already warps time and space, teleportation is not necessarily a stretch!

Ben immediately sets out to tap his resources. A date is given (October 2005), which makes it possible that Ben jumped in both space and time. If so, that may be why he was shocked to see Sayid on the news, mourning his wife. With the loss of Alex so recent (at least for him), he understood Sayid's mental state and immediately saw how it could be used to his advantage. It's surprising to learn that Sayid begins his service to Ben voluntarily, even happily. In that respect, Sayid is still master of his own agency, even if Ben is still using him to his own devices.

Ben's conversation with Charles Widmore is filled with innuendo and tantalizing possibilities. For whatever reason, Ben cannot kill Charles Widmore; instead, he opts to pay Widmore back for the loss of Alex by killing Penny. Setting aside how this should make for some interesting Ben/Desmond conflict, it opens up a stunning line of speculation, one that could change the scope of "Lost" tremendously.

The original "Hostiles" were the pre-Dharma inhabitants, apparently led by Richard, a man who appears to be long-lived (if not immortal). Ben eventually took control of the Hostiles, eliminating the Dharma Initiative in the process. One might have assumed that Ben took control from Richard, but what if that wasn't the case at all? What if there was once someone who led the Hostiles, someone who lost control of the island because of Ben's connection to Jacob?

The theory is that Charles Widmore was once the leader of the Hostiles, the original inhabitants of the island, and he is consequently unable to be killed. He could have been there for decades or centuries, perhaps even born on the island. Ben might have sent him away into exile, leaving him to track down any clue he could find to locate the island and take back control. (Not all the details fit yet, but the broad concept is there.)

That might explain why Widmore might have attempted, perhaps in connection with Thomas Mittlewerk, to take control of the Hanso Foundation and, by extension, the Dharma Initiative. That would have been one source of information on the location of the island. It even lends support to the idea that Widmore manipulated Desmond to participate on the race around the world, on a path that appears to have been designed to take people in the known region of the Pacific where the island is located.

All of that may be wrong, but it would appear to explain how Ben and Widmore knew each other on a personal level, why their conflict appeared to be relatively old, and why there would have been "rules of engagement". It would also continue to muddy the waters in terms of Ben's claim that his Others are "the good guys".

It's amazing to think that, on top of all of the items related to Ben, there's still a subplot back on the beach. Jack is starting to feel sick to his stomach, and that is beginning to affect his ability to deal with the treacherous Daniel and Charlotte (who is obviously sitting back waiting to see where the wind blows). Beyond foreshadowing Jack's addiction to pills in the future, this is just set-up for the next episode.

The schedule for the rest of the season looks pretty tight, in all the right ways. The next episode will focus on Jack, bringing the issues on the beach to a head. The episode after that focuses on Locke, which should be another mythology-driven installment. Then it's the three-hour, two-part season finale, which should be a thrill ride to the next major paradigm change. The second half of the season could go down as one of the best stretches for the series to date.
  • Flawed Episode - they must think we're idiots

5.8
    I cannot add my voice to the chorus of bravos on this forum, unfortunately. I was hoping for more. Here are my major complaints: First, how and when did the mercenaries get on the island? Doesn't an electrical storm ensue when the time/space continum (or whatever) is breached? Wouldn't that be noticed on the island like it was the first time? Secondly, this was the worst hostage standoff in the history of bad TV hostage standoffs. Here's the mercenary standing with his entire upper body exposed above Ben's cowering daughter, Alex. Shoot him now! No for some reason they don't. Ok now he shoots the daughter. Shoot him now! Alex is dead in a clump at his feet, his entire body is exposed. He stands there for a while. Shoot him now! Nothing to lose now. No, let him walk off and sit around feeling bad. Thirdly, what's with those anonymous Others running out and getting picked off one by one? It's like Star Trek when they had a landing party there was always one guy who you never saw before and, you guessed it, he was killed on the planet. Fourthly, these guys are great shots and have proved it with killing Carl and Rousseau (wounded is my guess), then by picking off the aforementioned nameless Others one two three. Now Sawyer makes a run for it, using a 4-foot-tall picket fence for cover, stopping to regroup at the fence post, turning over a picnic table for cover (bullet-proof wood? Somebody should tell the Pentagon about this so they can save money on armor). I could not suspend my disbelief through that whole scene.

So Ben can time travel, but it's apparently not an exact science. He has reason to doubt that he can hit the specific year he's looking for. But he's there on the right day and month and year. Now he's mistaken for paparazzi by Sayid who leaves his position as pall bearer to rough him up a bit ("Why can't you leave me alone?"). Then he sees it's Ben, they catch up for a while, kill Ishmael lickety split and all the while Nadia is going to the grave without the guy who searched for her 8 years and yada yada yada.

Now Charles Widmore. Ben knows he never used to sleep with a bottle of booze on the nightstand. Seems like a pretty intimate detail to know about someone. Maybe they can make that one make sense in future episodes. But right now it appears that they shared a bedroom at some point in the past. My last complaint is a general one. I didn't feel like they covered much ground in this episode. A background flash forward to explain a previous flash forward where Sayid is working for Ben. Ok, that had to be done. But on the island nothing really moved. The crew on the beach is still on the beach. Locke's group is just now on their way to see Jacob. I feel like the episode milked it.
  • This is a bit more like it!

Now we get to see a bit more of what drives Ben rather than just seeing him as a creepy, manipulative control freak. When "The Others" first began giving the Oceanic 815 survivors grief, we only perceived them from the crash survivor's point of view. As we learn more and more about Ben Linus and his crew, we come to realize that their only goal is to protect the island and the mysterious Jacob. The fact that he is willing to sacrifice people to achieve this goal paints him as the traditional "villain". Since we do not fully comprehend the nature of the island or Jacob, and given this show's propensity for misleading the audience as to the intentions and allegiances of the various cast members, it's altogether possible that Ben is the most heroic person on the island.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?
  • (spoilers) Getting overrated on the basis of being new

Decent episode overall, getting overrated on the basis of it being new as most episodes do on tv.com. new= 10

The Ben centric episode is a little vague, we understand his motives but there is alot of stuff going on that needs to be explained, there's a particularly good moment during the siege when he rises above his two-dimensional villain role which is interesting and much needed.

It's interesting that everyone but the main charecters die during the siege, other survivors seem to be the equivalent of the guy in the red uniform from star trek. Another bothersome part of the episode, near the begining Kate is bathing with her top half hanging off looking at Jack, honestly, this just felt forced much like the scene between her and Sawyer on the bed in previous episodes.

Another particularly bothersome thing, Sawyer has become aware that Lockes father, is the guy who he has been hunting down, he finds out that Locke was once a cripple, he has just seen a flying mountain of smoke kill a group of Mercs, he then turns round and calls Locke crazy, this seems very out of context to what has been happening.

Overall, it's a good episode, but not without flaws, the flash-forward is alittle flat in comparison to the Island action but it's certainly by no means a bad episode.
  • This was another excellent episode by LOST. We got to know some really good things, both on the island and off the island.

Off the island

- Sayid finally finds Nadya and he marries her. But she is then killed.
    - Sayid meets with Ben at the funeral and Ben tells him that it was a man of Charles Widmore that killed her.
    - Sayid kills the man that killed Nadya and then offers Ben to work for him.
    - Ben and Charles has a showdown, and Ben tells Charles he knows he can't kill him, but he will kill his daughter. And Charles will regret changing the rules.

On the Island

- Jack finds a body in the sea and when Daniel tells them he is the doctor. He calls the freighter through morse code but lies about the reply but Bernard knows morse code and he tells them that the freighter told them that the Doctor is alive.
    - A group led by Keamy kidnaps Alex and take her to try and lure Ben. When Ben tries to call the troop's bluff, they kill Alex.
    - After the death of his daughter, Ben says that Charles changed the rules.
    - Somehow Ben manages to control the monster and the monster kills the mercenaries.
1 2 3 >