Lost

The Substitute

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 2010 on ABC

• So is John Locke's life better by never going to the island?

The best thing about the alternate reality we're seeing this season (really don't want to use the term flash-sideways) is that despite being killed last year Locke is still a part of the show, not just Terry O'Quinn. This episode wasn't a tradition centric episode as it really focussed on two separate characters, but it was great to watch nonetheless.

I'll start with the alternate reality in which we find Locke returning home after not being allowed on his walkabout. The main argument I could see against this new timeline is that it doesn't really answer any mysteries due to the fact everything seems to have changed a bit. Also, if you don't listen to the official podcasts, there's no indication if these scenes will have any relevance to the main timeline. However I find that more than balanced out by the way it seems to reward hardcore fans of the show. My mum watches Lost but I doubt she could've told you if Locke and Helen were together before he boarded flight 815, so that difference feels like something that's a reward for the fans that obsess about the show such as myself.

The other thing that makes these scenes so great is the reason we're all here in the first place: quality drama and storytelling. Against the more epic stuff on the island these lighter stories work nicely, especially when they're as well told as it was here. John Locke had found a purpose on the island and had been healed from being in a wheelchair; but what if that had never happened. What if the man of faith was simply wrong and had to go on living his life. That is the story told here and it was great to watch. After four seasons of flashbacks to before Locke got to the island we'd seen basically everything, so these flash-sideways (fine I'll say it) allow us to see a different and new story with the same character.

And it was great to see Locke continue to battle against his disability, openly refusing to accept it. From insisting he could work a construction job to simply not wanting to park in a disabled spot all wrung true for the character. To that end him openly admitting to everything to Helen at the end was a huge moment, and was played out very nicely by the superb Terry O'Quinn. So it was a very human story with a lot of heart as well as a few easter eggs that may or may not be important to the overall mystery of this reality. But as far as character links go the best was saved for last. We've seen The fantastic Michael Emerson play Ben as manipulative, controlling, borderline evil and even loving (towards his mother and Alex); but we'd never seen him petty before and it was fantastic. Sure the fact Ben is alive and off the island could be a large part of the overall puzzle, but just seeing him as school teacher annoyed about a coffee pot was fantastic and something I never even thought would happen on the show! When comedy can mix with drama and mystery so well you know they're onto a winner!

On the island the reveal of Claire alive as well as the temple folk was overlooked to concentrate on the Monster version of Locke and the main characters who were outside Jacob's home. This was an issue I had last season, and pretty much have had all through the show, that it's annoying when plot threads need to be overlooked because there's so much going on. It's great that the show is so complex and intriguing, but it would've been nice if we'd gotten a bit from the temple. Still what we did get was still great fun to watch.

The opening shot of the Monster moving through the island was pretty cool, although I didn't like the flash cuts but I guess they were needed as doing it all in a sweeping one shot would've been borderline impossible. The focus being on our fake Locke was very entertaining and gave us a bit more about him, without truly answering anything in typical Lost fashion. The main new mystery introduced here was him seeing a young boy. It was kind of surreal as the Monster has appeared like that to people before, to see something/ someone appear to him in the same manner was a bit weird. Also while I'm fully on board with compelling storytelling, the sudden introduction of this seemingly new character is similar to the man in black turning up as a major player at the start of the season 5 finale. Is it not too little too late to be introducing such huge characters? Still I guess that man in black turned out to be the Monster and therefore in it longer than Jacob, so I'm withholding judgement on this kid for now.

As for the rest of Monster Locke's time it was mainly spent with Sawyer. So many times over the course of the show something terrible has happened to Sawyer that has made me think his character will suffer quality-wise as a result, but every time he becomes more compelling because of it. The death of Juliet has been no different so far and while drunk in his underpants when we first ran into him here he was still as awesome as ever. I loved that he new Locke wasn't the real Locke almost straight away. As a con man it made perfect sense that he could read people so well and after everything he's seen on the island just because this guy had the same face didn't rule out the possibility of him not being John Locke. Also from a story point of view it allowed us to avoid the awkward explanation scene of how this Locke ties into everything which allowed for it to move on at a nice pace.

The two shared some great and well written scenes. Sawyer's tirade about why he was stuck on the island against Locke telling him otherwise was great, as was Sawyer's bit about "Of Mice and Men". Of course the episode's big reveal was all the names on in the cave with numbers by them. It was a great moment that nicely followed on from Jacob meeting and touching everyone in the season 5 finale (I said at the time the physical contact bit was important). It was that great kind of Lost moment that throws out loads of theories, some a bit daft (Shephard must be Jack not Christian) while still moving the plot forward. Locke then saying that the island doesn't need protecting was an interesting point and it'll be interesting to see if he truly believes that or if he was simply playing Sawyer. Sawyer's agreeing to leave the island with him was a big moment that was a cool ending leaving us satisfied with what we'd got this week, while also hungry to see what happens next.

As well as all that there were also some cool scenes on the island with Sun, Illana, Frank and Ben. Illana revealing that she knows about Jin was played subtly enough that it worked nicely with the other info we got this week and Ben admitting to Locke's murder seemed like a rare genuine moment for the character. Still while a great episode it wasn't perfect. As already mentioned the lack of many of the main characters in any episode is always annoying and, maybe we were spoiled a bit in the premiere but, the episode wasn't as fast paced as I would've liked. Sure a lot happened, but with only 14 hours left I wanted a bit more. Still none of that really takes away from what was another great entry in this finale season of Lost.
  • Loved this locke centric episode

Loved this episode. Beats out the second part of LA X for best episode this season and it might even get mentions in the future for one of the great episodes of the Lost Series. In the flash-sideways lockes no longer a man of faith, he accepts what has happened to him. There was the smokey cam where we follow locke or smoke monster what ever you want to call it through the jungle. Not-Locke's amazing soliloquy: "I know what it's like to feel joy, to feel pain, anger, fear, to experience betrayal. I know what it's like to lose someone you love. If you want to shoot me, shoot me, but you are so close, James. It would be such a shame to turn back now." The sawyer part of the episode was the part which makes this episode so f'n great. Listening to the stooges while getting completely trashed.
  • John Locke !!

First of all , The brilliant acting of Terry O Quinn deserves an Emmy. and so is Sawyer at least a nomination for his last season and his amazing performance throw all the seasons 1 til 6 ! . as for the episode what i can say that it's one the best unique ones of the Lost . Locke's Lines : ( I know what it's like to feel joy
    , to feel pain, anger, fear, to experience betrayal
    . I know what it's like to lose someone you love. If you want to shoot me, shoot me, but you are so close ) it was really one of the best lines i ever heard on a Screen . and Ben's Lines : ( I'm sorry I murdered you )
    was really Amazing that he said it just like that !! . and who's the Blond kid ? what he means by "you know the rules... you cant kill him" ?. and THE Numbers are relived ? and what does it mean ? and The Cave ? Black rock and white rock ? The Episode was so full of excitement ! 10/10
  • For people who hated last week's episode, this one should be a return to form.

So compared to last week's episode that infuriated so many fans, "The Substitute" should be a great way to bounce back. Chockful of little tidbits of information, this episode allowed us to get one of the clearest images of what's going on with the Island and the rest of the surviviors. Whether or not it's something that was worth waiting this long for is up for each viewer to decide themselves, but as for me, I'm intrigued. A little confused, of course, but intrigued nonetheless.

Locke episodes always tend to be some of the better episodes of Lost, if only because Locke is one of the better characters and one of the most mysterious characters on television period. He's gone through more in his life than most fictional characters, and he's been killed, reborn via a mysterious plume of black smoke and had his faith shattered more times than one. Watching Locke maneuver his way through life, on and off the Island, is endlessly entertaining. This episode was no exception. We got to see through the eyes of the Man in Black in smoke-form for the first time (and he's been around for AWHILE, so this is a pretty big deal) and got to see the Man in Black slowly beginning to take shape in terms of motives and what he's really like. Hearing his speech to Sawyer about he feels all the same human emotions as anybody else and has lost people he's loved as well was a completely different side of him. However, it's hard to know who to trust, especially with Richard so terrified of him. More on the last scene later..

There were plenty of little moments throughout the episode that were superb that DIDN'T involve the Man in Black. Ben's eulogy to Locke was superb, humorous in that dark way that only Benjamin Linus can pull off.. and equally funny was Lapidus' reaction. In fact, although the other characters barely had a chance to speak, they all did a good job. Ilana is still a strange character, in that we have no idea what her purpose is quite yet, but seeing her pick up Jacob's ashes is interesting, especially since it's ashes that keep the Man in Black out of places in the first place. Hopefully we'll have an episode that focuses a little on Ilana so she doesn't end up being a pointless character with no direction.

Off the Island, things were pretty tame as usual. I'm usually not that interested in what's going on in this sideways/alternate/whatever people are calling it universe, and Locke's, for the most part, wasn't anything too special, but what made it above average was the interactions that he had with the people from the island. Seeing the "lucky" Hurley interact with the Locke who seems to be no longer a man of faith but a man who doesn't believe in miracles anymore was a pretty great scene, and just seeing all of these smaller supporting characters (Helen, Randy Nations) was great. However, the clincher was seeing Benjamin Linus as a professor at the same school that Locke teaches at. Very strange indeed. That being said, I feel like all of these sideways universe scenes are setting us up for something larger.. almost like they're showing us what happens with each character before they finally carry on the plot. I really hope all of this sideways universe isn't for nothing.. even if the creators already said there was a purpose.

As for the final scene, well.. let's just say it gives a whole new possible meaning to these numbers. It appears that the people saying Jacob was pulling a long con on everybody were correct. The fake Locke explains to Sawyer in a mysterious cave with all their names written on it, and certain numbers (the 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ones) next to certain people's names. It was really strange to hear fake Locke saying that somebody would have to be the "next Jacob" (Locke's exact words) and that it would have to be one of the six names remaining on the walls. This sets up a really interesting plot for the rest of the season for Sawyer, who essentially has teamed up with the Man in Black to help him get off the island.
    Sure, it's easy to scoff at the show for being slow, introducing too many questions with not enough answers, but the scene at the end reminds us that while there's still more questions yet to be answered, they're paving the path for us to learn more things. Personally, I have a theory that I'm sticking with, which is Jacob was the protector of the Island, which is basically a Pandora's Box, and that the Man in Black is the thing that needs to be prevented from getting out. Who knows, I could be WAY off, but it's fun to see where the show leads you. This week was a great hour of television, and while it may have been slower than some people may have liked, it gave us a new way to look at the numbers and why these specific people were on the island.
  • The new Locke and the old Locke in the parallel time lines. Old Locke in LA, c.2004 is great Lost, wry humour, bittersweet, meetings with familar faces, intriguing storyline developing.

Meanwhile on the island the new Locke gets a despondent but literary Sawyer to tag along, and some questions are answered, or not. A pre-teen boy appears, a new Other/superbeing, Aaron? Cliffside ladder sequence was nicely done, an actual stunt. The names on the roof of the cave (no Austin?), possibly new Locke is BS-ing on the 3 choices but an island upheaval is coming. Back to LA, how the heck does an affable Ben Linus end up teaching European History in high school? Oh and that Volkswagen punch buggy commercial was pretty good too. The numbers are still a mystery, maybe the island football team uniform numbers.
  • Great episode, clears up a lot of things.

I have always liked the character of John Locke. This episode just kept that going with the flash-sideways. I really enjoyed seeing what would have happened if the real John didn't get to the island. As you could have guessed, his life ain't the greatest. But it really isn't that bad, just tougher than most of ours. He would have had lots of great people around him: Hugo, Rose, Ben, and Helen. Katey Segal takes over the role of Helen (she's so great in everything she does). I really enjoyed seeing the real John mesh with so many of the characters from the island. There were so many connections and references in these last few episodes, it's almost mind-boggling to the avid fan.

I was very surprised that John ripped up Jack's card in the end, I really thought that would have been a major storyline arc for this season (John getting spinal surgery or something, like that miracle Helen was suggesting). Hopefully I'm wrong, but that idea seems totally dead now.

Back on the island, an interesting series of revelations are delivered. Richard refuses to go with Man in Black, but he recruits Sawyer, sort of. After an interesting discussion, where even Sawyer knows that "Locke" is not Locke, he still follows. I thought many things would happen but these did not: Sawyer was going to shoot Man in Black, Sawyer was going to fall off the cliff, Sawyer was going to accept the Man in White position. These did not, but it kept me pacing. I'm guessing the child was Jacob's spirit. Don't ask me how Sawyer could see him if he was a spirit, but Jacob is very close to the idea, sort of inhabits it like a spirit. That'a all I can come up with. But I guess the message is that Man In Black can't kill to recruit, he has to get them to align with him using persuasion. Man in Black throws the White stone away, but he there needs to be another Jacob before he can go any further (debatable, but I think someone has to fill the Man in White role before the "war" can start). Sawyer doesn't want to be the new Jacob, he won't be the leader of Team White. So, one of the other survivors will have to take up that task, but who? Does this mean Sawyer sides with Man In Black? I hope not, but it seems Sawyer's time may be up soon.

In response to another reviewer: Man in White/Man in Black can only be a man, so Kate's name is not written on the wall - I agree though, it was strange not to see her name with a number. That's the only explanation I can think of. Overall, really great episode that clears up some of the more interesting questions. Obviously, added more q's but we are getting closer to understanding everything. EDIT: Someone commented with a good counter and said that Man In Black did not know whether KWON = Jin or Sun - good point. If Man in White has to be male than he should know. I think MIB may have been bluffing, but that was definitely a good point.

Also - someone mentioned that the blond kid "Young Jacob" as I called him was Aaron - not possible in my opinion, Aaron would only be 3-4 years old, but still a good idea.

I also agree with some of the reviewers stating that this season has been a little under par so far. I agree, but this episode was above par. I think something is cooking and it'll be a great ending.
  • A Locke episode.

Locke episodes are almost always good, and the flashbacks today were, to an extent. They didn't really accomplish anything, but sure, seeing Ben as a teacher was funny. I just hate the ominous music they have to play every time a Lostie shows up in another's life. Do they really think we are so dense that we will not recognize Rose?

And the writing on the wall (how ironic, huh?) is just yet another unnecessary layer added to this show. Dollhouse had about 80 twists during its second season that were unnecessary, and now Lost is starting to follow in its footsteps. Just give us answers, not more questions.
  • In a nutshell? INFORMATIVE. One of the most informative episodes of Lost in the entire series. Yet...vague at the same time (because I mean..it's Lost)

Wow. It was great having a Locke centric episode even though he was dead and he finally got a proper funeral. A candidate is a person who could be a vessel for Jacob or Smokey (one can only assume at this point). According to this episode..Locke(4), Hugo(8), James(15), Sayid(16), Jack(23) & either Sun or Gin (42) are all "candidates". Well Locke is now dead, and Smokey crossed his name off the list. We also learn from Illana that Smokey is now stuck in Locke's form. Richard acted as if he had no idea what was going on to Smokey, but he was telling Sawyer that Flocke only wants to kill him and all his friends.

My question is if Jacob touched Kate like everyone else, then how come her name was not on the wall also? & given a number?

so the question is what do the numbers have to do with each person? Smokey told Sawyer that he could stay on the Island and become the new Jacob and "protect" the Island...but apparently that's all for not and there's nothing to protect it from, says Flocke. I thought it was messed up to see Ben speak for John at his funeral, I was surprised that Sun didn't say anything. It was also good to see Sun again for really the first time this season besides a cameo in the premiere. I like the way she looks wielding a gun lol. No Kate,Jack,Sayid, or Claire. Or Miles. Hurley was seen in the flash sideways. OHH & who the hell was THAT LITTLE KID? that Smokey saw in the jungle? & Sawyer saw him too! It looked like a young Jacob or something! "you know the rules..you can't kill him!"

Flocke saying "Don't tell me what I can't do" is a bit ironic. =/ Locke's life sucked.

Amazing episode...best of the season so far.
  • Great Bounce Back; Lost Returns To What We All Know And Love...

Let's face it, "What Kate Does" was simply okay and an episode in which nothing major happened. "The Substitute" brought back what we love about this show: great character and mythology moments. I for one love the pairing of Sawyer and (for the sake of not straining my fingers constantly typing "notLocke" or some whatever other name people have been using) Locke. I think we'll be seeing plenty more great moments between these two. But besides all the great character moments, there was plenty of mythology loaded clues this episode. Personally, I enjoyed the ending most in which we finally find out what being a "Candidate" means: the protector of the island, much like the position Jacob held. I also find it interesting to see things from "Locke"'s point of view, claiming Jacob has trapped them all on the island and forming a truce with Sawyer to get off of the island which apparently never needed to be protected. To sum things up, great episode. Definitely a bounce back from "What Kate Does" and we're really starting to get a feel for what we can expect in Season 6.
  • The Monster strings Sawyer along to a secret cave; Ilana and co. give Locke a proper burial; a little blond boy reminds the Monster there are "rules"; in LA X, Locke accepts his limits and becomes a substitute teacher.

EXCELLENT. Man, "The Substitute" was one of the most rewarding character episodes of the entire "Lost" series.

First of all, O'Quinn NAILS his new role as the Monster. One of Sawyer's lines captured Locke perfectly, claiming that Locke always seemed to be afraid despite his demeanour. To be honest, he was correct, and now O'Quinn carries NONE of this vulnerability during his scenes as the Monster. To me, O'Quinn deserves a lot of recognition for his accomplishment in playing two roles so greatly.

The storyline was beyond excellent. In LA X, the character of John Locke really accepted his limitations, and took control of his life. I loved that development, and I also look forward to seeing his interactions with LA X's Ben Linus.

On the Island, the Monster led Sawyer to a very interesting, hidden cave. One of my favorite scenes was when the Monster biffed a white rock into the ocean. Was it the same white rock that either Adam or Eve was holding? He called it an "inside joke," and that was great for a fan like myself to see!

Great acting and great material. I am especially relieved to see Ilana cry because that means she is not a cold, hard, unlikeable character. It is important to introduce only likeable, deep characters this late in the game.

I was thrilled with this episode, and can not wait to see more of the Monster's journey. Good job, "Lost"!
  • A Redeeming Episode, answering one of the most pivotal of Questions spanning over the entire series...

I ahve to say that The Man in Black is my new favorite character (even if it is Locke 2.0). This MIB-Centric Episode sheds light on the key question: Why are the Survivors of Oceanic 815 there in the first place? This was a gut wrenching episode fraught with excellent performances my Terry O'Quinn, Michael Emerson, as well as the talented Katey Sagal. A Great insight into what Lost will bring us in the weeks to come during its final bout. Watch out for an eerie Eulogy and some big revealing moments that will keep you going back in your mind to scenes from seasons past. Definitely a key episode in this epic sixth season.
  • i was thinking the kid that flocke see's is aron claires kid but i might be totally wrong, and the two rocks on the scale funny how one is the black rock also the same name of the ship. This is definetly a show about good vs evil.

this ep was best of the new season so far.I mean it was very interesting compared to the other by far. I did not find the first three interesting at all since with so little eps they have left , that they would give you even more mysteries. I personaly think that with the amount of eps left that they are going to rap this up in the amount of eps left. I dont think all the question will be answered but maybe the big ones will be. I dont like the slide sideways addition cause it seems like a waste of time when they could have spent more time explaitig these questions.Not to mention they are boaring.
  • The Man in Black (Black Smoke) atempts to recruit Sawyer, luring him in with the promise of answers and a way off the Island. Meanwhile back in the 2004 alternate universe Locke decides to accept the cards fate has dealt him and get on with his life.

Usually Lost episodes get a 9 or 9.5 rating from me. So even though I gave this episode an 8.0, or "great" score, you can probably see that I wasn't as impressed this week with Lost as I usually am. Why? well ultimately much of this episode felt like filler to me. When you think about it not very much really happened. I won't sum up the events of the episode as I don't want to spoil too much but basically it mostly follows MiB as he attemps to "recruit" some of the islands inhabitants, while off island we see what life is like for Locke in the alternate universe. I guess the main pluses of this episode for me was that it threw up some interesting questions. Locke seems to have a slightly better life in this alternate universe although he is still wheelchair bound. The changes in his life are what throw up in the more interesting questions, particularly that of the nature of Locke's Father in this alternate universe. This isn't strongly alluded to in the episode but if you've already seen it you may know what I'm getting at. Another plus is that we also get to see what I assume is Jacob's List. Something that was mentioned way back in season 3. There some other scenes I enjoyed such as Locke's body been giving a fitting, if slightly weird send off, and off-island Locke encountering some familar faces.

What I didn't like about this episode was that what I felt should have been the main story-line wasn't given enough screen time. MiB attempts to recruit Sawyer to his cause (whatever that may be exactly) and takes him on a journey to a mysterious location (I won't say where). When they get there they have an interesting conversation and Sawyer makes a decision that may have dire consequences. This could have been a far more interesting storyline if it had been given more screen time. Given that it follows Saywer (a skilled con man) and MiB (who seems to be Lost's ultimate villian) I'd have liked to have seen more deception, more mind games. Instead what we got was Sawyer more or less just going with the flow. He may have been lying to MiB about his decision toward the end of the episode but as we can't yet be sure of that it just seemed a bit disapointly niave of him. We also didn't get to see some anything of the goings on at the temple, which personally is what I'm most interested in, and while we got to see some interesting things we were ultimately handed some more questions. The alternate universe story line of Locke was what mainly dominated this episode, and while I find that aspect of this season really interesting and clever, I'm much more interested in whats going on on the island.

I have great faith in the writers of Lost and I'm sure they'll answer all the questions by the end, but I'm hoping that they'll find a way to pack a bit more into the episodes that follow and don't allow the alternate universe storylines to dominate the on-island storylines too much. I'm more invested in the characters as they are having crashed on the island than I am in their off island counter-parts, and so while I still want to see what the lives of the characters would be like had the island somehow been submerged, I'd prefer to see that treated in the same way the flash-backs and flash-fowards were, and not dominating the episodes so much.
  • The numbers... are Back!! Go Team Jacob!!

Last Night episode was great!!
    First we saw the comfrontation with Locke and Richard. We now know that he is recruiting people... and Richard will not be part of that team! He is bad and selfish and now he is trying to control Sawyer. I know Sawyer is not that dumb but now he after Julliet's death he is kinda weak and Locke is taking advantage from that.

Sun, Lapidus, Ilana, & Ben bury Old Locke plus Ben's line: "I'm sorry I murdered you" in front of them was Awesome! ( I love Ben Linus ).

Locke takes Sawyer to a Cave where the numbers began Jacob had a list of people that where the candidates for becoming the next Island's protector. And of the entire list only 5 people are alive now or still are candidates 8-Hurley. 15-Sawyer. 16-Sayid. 23-Jack. 42-Sun or Jin.
    Locke was number 4 but now he is gone. Where iS KATE??? I wonder why Kate was chosen or "pushed" by Jacob to come to the island if she was not a candidate? (we will find out soon) Locke's idea is to forget about the island and go "Home". How can he do that? I definitely dont trust him. I trust Richard! By the way the scene where Richard encounters Sawyer was so cool so full of excitement. I just wanted for them to Run!!! from evil Locke.

In the Flash Sideway we find out about Locke's walkabout, we find out Hurley becomes the boss of the company, Locke's dad is alive and he is Good, Rose also works for Hurley and Locke is happily living and about to get married to Ellen. But this Locke is different he is still in a wheelchair for reasons I dont know but he is not that Locke who was always looking for a miracle or that one who was full of faith.

Overall I loved last night episode!. if you want to know my theory about the Flash sideways read my last review.

Questions Unanswered: Why Kate was not on the List? How can Bad Locke can go out of the island? Is Claire in Bad Locke's team? What will happen to Sayid? Who was that blonde kid? *(is he another entity from the island: he clearly said "you know the rules... you cant kill him")... and most important of all Who will be the Chosen one to Protect the Island??
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Inspiring urban John story but average island one, sweet connections and references, unoriginal and rushed editing

The past episode was about Kate and this one was about What John Does. On the island we know Locke is dead and that the Smoke Monster uses his appearance. In the city John is alive and we witness his daily life, in a wheelchair. In What Kate Does he made me realize why I was so disappointed by James Cameron's Avatar. It's because I couldn't help comparing its protagonist, Jake Sully, to John Locke. His character grew on us for five seasons when in Avatar we only had five minutes to relate to Jake. As expected he ran into other characters, like it happened to Kate. These encounters were short but very helpful to better understand him. Different scenes and dialogs brought their lot of emotions so I found his urban destiny quite inspiring.

As for John of the jungle it seems he has a plan and we learned more about what he had in mind for Richard and the others. However I was slightly disappointed by how his arc was written even if it was intriguing enough. The end was nearly a disaster because it just didn't make sense. But the decisions that were made could lead to some intense events so I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for the story to surprise us. As for Sawyer I really liked his reference to Of Mice and Men because it was quite pertinent and smart considering what was happening to him.

The Substitute was only about John and the temple was only mentionned. I didn't miss it considering how I feel about it. Moreover like for Kate both stories developed in parallel and I'm quite fond of these new twin connections and cross-references to past bomb events. It's refreshing and original compared to the usual character ones. For example in the past episode Claire appeared on the island right after Kate left her in the city. This time it also happened to John but that sparkling moment was far much more subtle. So it's definitely the kind of episode you might want to watch again to make sure you haven't missed something. However I can't help thinking, in fact since LA X, that Lost and its viewers deserve more for a finale season. I was expecting to be blown away every single episodes when it seems they have decided to follow their own recipes, specially the featured character one. Don't get me wrong John's story was great but the few cons I mentionned left me with a mixed opinion.

So I really hope they'll soon take things to a whole new level or else I might lose interest. For the moment what's happening on the island is not really interesting and I'm far much more convinced by the urban stories. I just wish the constant jumps between the two weren't so sharp. It's like they directed the stories separately and relied on the editing process to blend them. Well it's not enough. I prefer Spartacus : Blood and Sand creative transitions. It would be great if city characters had daydreams about their parallel lives on the island for example. I'm sure crazy things will soon happen but I worry they won't. It reminds me of how the story became conventional in the first season after the polar bear was shot. I was expecting Lost to turn into a twisted version of the video game Far Cry but instead the events leaded to the hatch and The Others. Things greatly improved in season four so I hope Lost will soon amaze us like it did in the past, so many times.
  • I was right

when everyone didn't like "WHAT KATIE DOES" I figured out that the truth is not what they are leading us to, it's something totally different -read my review for that episode- Now, a follow up and a guess of what is gonna happen for the people who made it, I guess all their lives they were on a way or another connected, and the one who played them since the very beginning was Jacob, before the crash they also met each others without noticing -Sawyer meets Christina before he dies, libby meets Dismond and gives him the boat, Lock works for Hugo, Katie had an encounter with Sawyer girlfriend, Jack meets Desmond, etc.. now that the crash didn't happen they still some how meeting each others, not for anything but because they were the chosen ones -by Jacob, and one way or another the events outside the Island will lead them to be on the same boat again and going back to the Island, back to square one. fate, but a calculated one.
  • The numbers are PEOPLE!!!

Like the Soylent Green movie, we are what we eat...or rather count, as in another twisted reveal the numbers are showns to be people: the very candidates for Jacob's substitute. Like some larger-than-life Backgammon game, Smokey can not be free until he removes all the pieces from the board, the Jacoby rule from this match states that he can not kill checkers such as Sawyer until every candidate has made his/her choice.

Thus the reason why the Oceanic 6 couldn't leave the island to begin with, they are candidates just like Locke was. The irony being that, at this man's funeral, one Ben Linus reveals he knew him better than most, so the alternate reality provides them the chance to be friends that the island refused them. As Ben's mission remains to ensure the candidates stay on the island, Ilana's to bring them to safety and Richard's to warn them of the danger, Sawyer invites himself to the very wall that might hold the key to his destiny ...if he's the substitute, of course.
  • "The most important question in the world"

Well, it IS the most important of the show, and it IS answered here, which is great !But really,this episode is a tribute to Terry O'Quinn's acting : Lost has only had a few uni-dimensional characters ( Keamy, anyone ? ) , but Nemesis, as the "ultimate evil", could be a problem. But there, for the first time, O'Quinn infuses him with enough humanity, enough tragedy even, if he really is trapped, to make him compelling. I still think he's the "evil" one, but, as he pointed out, Jacob kept secrets, when himself showed the truth of Jacob's manipulations to Sawyer, and I can totally picture why people would follow him without being "evil" themselves ( great acting by Holloway too, by the way ). On the other side of reality, it was so satisfying to see a version of Locke that didn't need a mystic island to rebuild himself : it would have been easier of the writers to make him remain a wreck, but they didn't. Not only were the flash-sideways emotionaly satisfying, they already were, but in that case, they also make a point : Locke didn't need the island as much as he thought !
  • No, I... I don't believe it... they actually answered a relevent question?!?!?! THE END IS NIGH!!!!! :D spoiler free review

I'll just do a baby review for this, but this was wholly one of the greatest episodes ever (although still second to 'the constant' for me) i just loved the acting, direction (SMOKE CAM YES!) the scripting, the mythology (i think i understand the inside joke, something to do with plato?) and the amazing ending. Realised something:i think the seats they were sitting in were to do with the numbers assigned to them. Back in LAX (1), jacks sitting in seat number 23. Anyway need 15 more words hmmm. I think I'm team man in black, and jacob is all hysteria. The team wants us to think man in black is decieving us, i reckon its a double-take. wow got a few more than 15 words in there. :)
  • By the numbers

Another episode of the final season has come and gone, and the result is another solid step towards answers to long-standing questions. As promised, those answers aren't going to be easily won; some of the work is going to have to be done by the audience. But by now, those watching "Lost" should know what to expect. One either enjoys the puzzle for what it is or not.

As more and more of the "Lost X" timeline is revealed, it seems as though the initial assumptions may not hold. For example, there was speculation in the review for "LA X" that the "Lost X" timeline would ultimately bring the familiar characters to a darker end. Now, having seen more of "Lost X", the characters seem more well-adjusted. They have their problems, but the world is still a less portentous place.

Based on this episode, a possibility comes to mind: perhaps the familiar faces in "Lost X" were never touched by Jacob. If the Incident of 1977 actually caused the island to sink in the "Lost X" timeline, then would Jacob have been there to enact his plan to bring new candidates to the island? If not, then the crash of Oceanic 815 need not have occurred, and all the manipulations that led to all those people being on the plane wouldn't have led to the conflicted, lost individuals of "Lost Prime".

This episode cements the notion that the crash of Oceanic 815 was not an accident by any means. It would be interesting to go back to "Live Together, Die Alone" and see if there are any hints and clues connecting to Jacob. It seems very clear that the writers had this notion in mind for quite some time; Abaddon's claims that he was involved in engineering Locke's presence on Oceanic 815 in "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" is strong evidence to that effect.

In fact, this muddies the waters in turns of Charles Widmore and his allegiance. He certainly seems aware of the conflict between Jacob and his rival. His efforts to send Locke back to the island would appear to mesh with Locke's previously revealed hijacked destiny as a "candidate". Ilana's gang was working for Jacob, but they seemed to have the kind of resources that Widmore could have provided. Also, given that Ben was unknowingly working for Jacob's rival for most of his life, Widmore's symbolic opposition to Ben is in keeping with the idea that he was aligned with Jacob's agenda.

On the other hand, Widmore was also trying to wipe out every living thing on the island, and that would appear to contradict Jacob's goals. In "The Incident", it seemed as though Jacob welcomed the arrival of more people to the island. On the other hand, if Widmore felt that he and his people were the true followers of Jacob, and that the Others and the Oceanic survivors were tainted by Jacob's rival, then perhaps Widmore's goals in the fourth season aren't so contradictory after all.

The same applies to Jacob and his rival. Much of what has happened recently suggests that Jacob is "good" and his rival is "evil". Yet if one assumes that "Lost X" is indeed a timeline in which Jacob's influence was never present in the lives of the Oceanic 815 passengers, then a lot of pain and suffering has taken place in Jacob's name. For that matter, the whole attitude of the Others, even accounting for Ben's wayward leadership, is hostile. They kill those who aren't on Jacob's lists, and Jacob appears to let some live because they are candidates. (And note how the candidates match up with those brought to the Others at the end of Season 2 and the Oceanic Six. There are differences, but there are also parallels.)

Jacob's rival, on the other hand, has been mostly represented by the smoke monster. The smoke monster has mostly been known for casting judgment: those who have refused to repent their pre-island ways and change for the better have usually been his victims. The overall sense was that the smoke monster was pushing the survivors to accept the opportunity for change that the island represented. While not necessarily "good", that sort of judgment seemed to reflect the darkness of the individuals, not the judge himself.

All of which points to an interesting question: is Jacob's rival truly the evil entity that he seems to be? The implication is that Jacob's rival has been trapped on the island for good reason, but that is not necessarily the case. Richard's reactions and warnings came, by his own admission, from a limited point of view. For that matter, while the black/white duality suggests a clear good/evil distinction, that may be a false assumption. Until the motivations of Jacob and his rival are better defined, critical context is missing.

That context may be wrapped up in the whole question of the "candidates". It seems rather obvious that the "candidates" are potential replacements for Jacob, either in the truest sense or through possession by whatever entity Jacob truly is. But then there is the connection in this episode between the "candidates" and the infamous numbers.

This brings to mind one of the original, though supposedly non-canon, explanations for the numbers: the Valenzetti Equation. According to the Lost Experience, the Valenzetti Equation was developed to represent a calculation of the precise timing of the end of the world. The numbers were the values of core variables in the equation. The purpose of the Dharma Initiative was supposedly to use the island to develop a means to shift the variables, thus extending humanity's survival.

While this was supposedly dismissed as non-canon, the map on the Blast Door in "Lockdown" referred to the Valenzetti Equation and the Dharma Initiative in keeping with the above description. And Daniel Faraday insisted that people themselves were the "variables". Considering that he was referring to a group comprised largely of the "candidates" now connected to the numbers, there is an interesting potential connection that is forming.

Perhaps the Valenzetti Equation is nothing more an accidental expression of Jacob's rival and his desire to leave the island. Much implies that such an event would be catastrophic. If Jacob's rival is trying to "recruit" the "candidates" to his purpose, perhaps there is something about those individuals that will allow him to leave. If that were the case, then it might still connect to Jacob's apparent desire to use the "candidates" as potential successors in his bid to keep his rival imprisoned.

Of course, there are two big elements to all of this that are conspicuously missing. The first is the most obvious: Kate. Kate was among those touched by Jacob, she was one of those held prisoner by the Others at the end of the second season, and she was one of the Oceanic Six. More than that, she has been one of the most prominent characters since the very beginning, but the only one that hasn't had a distinct purpose or function at any point in the story, other than "love interest".

The exception is that she was surrogate mother to the other missing element: Aaron. Aaron was originally granted much importance, and there was reason to believe that Aaron was going to be critical to the overall series (not the least of which, comments by the producers/writers to that very effect). Very early speculation, going back almost as far as the pilot, theorized that Aaron was important because he would give a non-corporeal entity on the island a means of taking physical form. And that may have been Aaron's original purpose, thwarted by Kate. Aaron might have been a "candidate", but Jacob's rival conspired to convince Kate not to bring Aaron back. Taken in conjunction with all the warnings about what would happen if Aaron wasn't raised by Claire, it all feels like it is still leading to something.

All of which is evidence that the writers still have a lot of pieces of the puzzle to place into the context of the struggle between Jacob and his rival. The good news is that there is still plenty of time, and the fourth and fifth seasons both pointed enough to the existence of this conflict to suggest that the writers knew how it was all supposed to fit together.

Overall, this was another strong episode for the final season, with a good combination of revelation and implication. Of course, most episodes centering on John Locke have been winners, and this is no exception.
  • One of the most revealing episodes that Lost ever had.

After a slow episode Lost is on it's course to reveal the secrets the show has to offer. We see Locke in the AT/FF/FS and we find out what he did in Australia. But the true revelation comes on the island. We find out what the numbers mean and the connection the numbers have with the people on the island. Although there are still some questions surrounding the famous combination, it's good to see that the writers did not leave the numbers as they were: a big, big mystery.

And ofcourse, as in almost every episode of Lost, more questions pop up. Who is the boy talking to Locke? Why is it that Sawyer can see the boy but Alpert can't? A big difference with these questions and questions in previous seasons is that they have a connection: They will most likely all lead to the 2 or 3 big answers we need to know before we know the big mysteries surrounding the island. No new mysteries are beeing opened. A fast-paced episode, with one of the most beautiful openings ever.
  • Great Episode; Watch Out For MIB

When you look at a John Locke-Centric episode you look at all the great things that LOST brings to the table; most noticably: Ground-Breaking Mythology and Really Good Character Development.

From Walkabout to Orientation to Lockdown to Cabin Fever, those two things are never missing. The Substitute is no exception and may be the best out of the bunch.

It is well known that one of many people's favorite episodes is Walkabout from Season 1 becuase its the one that grabbed hold of us for good. But with the added element of the Man In Black, Walkabout may have been surpassed. This episode was just outstanding from the start, with the revelation that Locke is still with the love of his life Helen in the alt timeline and then the switch to the Smoke Monster Point of View, the amazing alternate timeline tie-ins, to the ending with the huge mythology moment of the Cliffside Cave between MIB and Sawyer. The mysterious manner in which MIB is recruiting for his cause is very brow-raising because everytime he speaks to a person he hits on their possible weakest point. With Ben and then Richard he used "the faithful servant who gets no respect from his master" con. With Sawyer it was the "I was once a man I can relate to you losing the person you love" con. The only difference between these three cases? Richard is not hearing it...and you get the sense that you should trust him because he seems to know way more about this MIB than everybody else. The only comforting thing about this is we have found out that MIB is not the highest power as it once seemed he and Jacob was. (But I think this is somehow his ultimate goal as he shouts "Don't tell me what I can't do!" to the golden haired boy). Finally two things strike me about the MIB. One is the Cave. Why should we immediately believe that the cave is Jacob's and not his? How did he know so well about everything in the cave from the rocks(white and black) to all the names? Did it strike you that he was the one that crossed out Locke's name? If it was Jacob's cave why didn't he cross it out? Locke certainly died before Jacob was killed. This could mean that MIB, who knows just as well who comes to the island as Jacob does, is eliminating, "crossing out",the candidates so he can achieve his goals. The second thing ties in which is the conversation between Jacob and MIB: Didn't Jacob say he would be at the statue when MIB found his loophole? This seems to be a clue that Jacob, who is never seen by anybody on the island, rarely leaves the statue unless he leaves the island. The biggest thing that strikes me is the conversation as a whole. Have we forgotten that Jacob and MIB were undergoing an age-old philisophical debate in which both wanted to prove themselves right? So why is it now that the MIB's main motive is just going "home"?

These are things we should watch out for as the season goes along...
  • Wooo

Alot of questions answered in this one!!! Well just one really; turns out Jacob's list is all about who's going to take over from him. Doing what? Guarding the island, or guarding Smokey? Is Sawyer falling for it, or conning Flocke? I have to sing praise to Terry O'Quinn. He's just amazing in this episode; already known for being superb as the depressed John Locke, here he gave us an utterly believable new version of a happy Locke, which was nice to see. And as the Man in Black he's brilliant; utterly terrifying while also making us question wheather he's the bad guy or not. If you think about it; this ep was a Smoke Monster centered ep. Who'd have thought we'd be getting that??
    Best ep of the season so far. Roll on next week and more info on Claire!
  • It says something about the strength of a show's central concept when, after six years and over a hundred episodes, it still manages to run rings around virtually the entire competition with every single episode.

It says something about the strength of a show's central concept when, after six years and over a hundred episodes, it still manages to run rings around virtually the entire competition with every single episode. 'The Substitute', Lost's latest offering, is yet another example of how to write hugely suspenseful drama while offering a wealth of believable and satisfying character development at the same time. Sarnoff and Taylor's script is pitched at the perfect pace to keep us on the edge of our respective seats, maintaining the sort of forward momentum that shows like 24 can only have wet dreams about. And what's more, it slots a few more pieces into the collective jigsaw too, providing obliquely disguised answers (or rather, suggested answers) to a number of questions that have lingered for years, as well as teasing us with a slue of typically baffling moments that beg for further attention.

Inevitably, the majority of the more intriguing and head-scratching moments occur on-Island, as Smoke Monster Locke begins 'recuriting', in Ilyana's words. This notion is fascinating enough in itself: what exactly is he recruiting for? His end game appears to be to leave the Island, but how many people does he need in order to do so and what purpose will they serve? As we discover at episode's end, he wins Sawyer round to his side, which is a perfectly logical development for his character and also forms a wonderfully infuritating cliffhanger, the kind that makes you claw at the television set hoping for more, but his means of doing so are invariably predicated on manipulation. Effectively, he's praying on the guy while he's weak, when he's at his most downtrodden in the wake of Juliet's demise. Josh Holloway and Terry O'Quinn are excellent here, proving to be very effective foils for one another and delivering some truly stellar performances. Their final scene together in the cave is particularly intriguing, turning the previously established binary opposition between Jacob and Smokie on its head and suggesting that perhaps Marc Pellengrino isn't quite the saviour that we've come to believe. The suggestion that he frivolously orchestrated the Losties' plight in order to find a replacement for himself as 'Island guardian', when actually there's nothing to protect it against, puts a rather interesting spin on things. It certainly isn't outside of the realms of possibility within the show's framework and provides further proof that Lindelof and Cuse really are masters of their art. Even at this late stage in the game, they are able to manufacture enough ambiguity and intrigue to keep their audience yabbering around the watercoolers for eons. The 'candidate' concept slots nicely into the mythology, offering a solid explanation as to the presence of our favourite castaways on the Island, and also produces a wonderful visual with the revelation of Jacob's ceiling scribbles. Significantly, the Oceanic Six (and Sawyer) are demarcated by those numbers, and Smokie's hint that his compatriot 'had a thing for numbers' seems to hint at further significance, and perhaps an eventual explanation, for these wonderfully obtuse buggers. However, it's probably more intriguing to freeze-frame the thing and puruse those names that are crossed out. It's almost a given that there'll be some interesting tidbits in there, in much the same vein as the Hatch Map in season two.

There are other beguiling mythology crumbs scattered across our path too. The scales at the entrance to the cave, despite being 'an in-joke', seem to recall the black and white stones found in the pockets of 'Adam and Eve' (you know, the dead bodies) waaay back in season one and symbolically suggest at least a superficial alignment with the conventional binary opposition of 'good and evil', although, inevitably, it will be nowhere near this simple. We are clearly supposed to infer this but knowing Lindelof and Cuse, they will take great relish, six or seven episodes down the line, in stomping all over our expectations. Smokie's tet a tet with Richard is loaded with meaning too, although most of it is conveyed by expression. It's an interesting twist to have Alpert so visibly terrified at the presence of the monster in Locke's form, yet stand his ground so firmly. To take a character who has, up until this point, appeared all-knowing and powerful (he doesn't age, for God's sake!) and expose him as perhaps little more than Jacob's lackey is a brave and fascinating move. And what about the notion that Smokie was once a man? What could have happened to transform him into a pillar of black smoke? Did the Island do this to him? Is that why he so desperately wants to leave it? Where does he want to go? Will something horrible happen to the Island if it is abandoned without a guardian or will it make no difference, as he seems to suggest? And just who is the boy that Sawyer can see but Richard can't, telling fake-Locke that he 'can't kill him' because 'you know the rules'? And what does he mean by that? This is wonderfully oblique stuff, providing the viewer with significant food for thought while drip-feeding enough hints to reward perseverance.

Since this is a Locke-centric episode, O'Quinn is given a chance to shine and boy, does he. In Smokie, it's quite remarkable that the actor is able to create someone so intrinsically yet, in paradoxical fashion, subtely different to his usual character. As Sawyer notes, it's clear that this is not John Locke, but it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint exactly how O'Quinn manages to achieve this. There are notable nods to the character, particularly in some of his dialogue ('don't tell me what I can't do' is a nice nod to seasons past) and this approach to those with whom he comes into contact (offering Richard water is a moment that springs immediately to mind). Regardless of the how, this is nevertheless a brilliant accomplishment, and it works well in juxtaposition with the self-doubting Locke of the episode's flash sideways. It's pleasing to see this element occupy the B-storyline position, thereby placing greater emphasis on the developments to the show's mythology and avoiding the slight problem suffered by 'What Kate Does' of seeming a little futile at times. However, that doesn't lessen its impact. There are some very interesting moments here, particularly the manner through which Locke comes into contact with fellow 815 passengers. Clearly, the show is illustrating that the lives of these individuals were destined to be intertwined regardless of the outcome of the flight, but thankfully, it is presented in such a way that it refrains from seeming hokum. Hurley's inclusion in the narrative is completely logical, given that it was previously established that he owned the box company, while Rose and Ben's appearances serve to make points about certain aspects of Locke's character. Sarnoff and Taylor provide a nice mixture of the comedic and the emotional here, setting sequences such as the teaser in which John falls into the sprinklers in paradigmatic comparison with moments such as his unceremonious firing and, most importantly of all, Helen tearing up Shephard's card. This is a wonderfully executed scene, really getting to the heart of Locke's neuroses and providing a semblance of happiness and serendippity for a character who has suffered somewhat at the mercy of the writer's pen over the years.

There are a few other points worthy of note too: the scene in which Sun, Ilyana, Ben and Lapidus bury Locke's body is a brilliant slice of black humour, capped off by Ben's confession. The cliff-face ladder descent is expertly harrowing, executed perfectly by the production crew to give the viewer vertigo just by watching a few seconds of it. There's also a marvellous sequence within the first five minutes in which the camera takes the first person perspective of the smoke monster, which manages to add snippets to the established mythology by suggesting what it is that Smokie is doing when certain noises are made (eg the 'tick-tick' noises appear to be when he floats high over the ground etc.) It's also exceedingly eerie, particularly as we are treated to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it reflection in the window of one of the DHARMA houses. The only aspect of the episode that grates, really, is the inclusion of the 'minor' flashbacks within the standard narrative to demonstrate how Jacob entered the lives of his 'candidates' in the season five finale (and also the incorporation of shots of his death). These seem rather superfluous for a show that has as devoted and solid an audience as Lost. The show doesn't really attract casual viewers and as such, virtually everyone watching will be aware of what is being referred to. It just seems a little unnecessary and doesn't really treat the audience with the level of intelligence that the show so traditionally has. Still, this is a minor quibble and doesn't have a great impact on the overall quality of the episode.

'The Substitute' is an expertly written episode that provides enough dramatic development, suspense and intrigue to thoroughly immerse the viewer in the experience and leave you desperate for more once the final, fantastic cliffhanger rolls around. There are also some lovely character moments on offer, particularly in Locke's flash sideways, as well as a tonne of questions to pass the time in the office on Monday morning. Once again, Lost maintains its reputation as just about the best damn thing on television. What are we going to do when it's all over?
  • Theres nothing like a Locke episode of Lost....

I watch tv shows including those such as one tree hill, 90210 and prison break. Although prison break can be described as intriguing, nothing compares to what Lost has created in its years of work. Theres never been a tv show that has produced so much theorys or anticipation for the final moments of its last 42 minutes.We just witnessed a John Locke centered episode.He is my favorite character because he is can be pictured as Lost in a nutshell. I would rate this episode in my top 7 no doubt. Last weeks was good but come on, lets be honest here, we all want to see jacob and smokey and locke and all these mind bobbeling scenarios that you dont get in jack and kates, more action based episodes. I mean who was that little kid. A younf jacob? perhaps even sawyer who knows. What i do know is that Lost will never be matched in the criteria of fascinating, ever again
  • Walkabout 2

Locke goes in search of aid to further help his cause. After sitting through last weeks episode there was no better reward than a Locke episode. This again kept the tradition of Locke episode being the best on the show I dont think we have see a bad one (I liked Further Instructions) The Flash sideways where decent and once again we saw a lot of familar faces, nothing too major happened here. The scenes on the island was where the answers where at, and we got a pretty big one. The numbers are candidates for being the new Jacob. There were loads of standout scenes the ones with Richard, The ladder scene was exciting, the ending all great. One of the best episode in a long time. Still not a 10 because the flash sideways where not as good as LA X.
  • The alternate reality or its just the ending?

There was a lot of buzz about the 2 parallel realities that have occur in the new season of Lost. There is a lot of people that are unhappy with the things going on right now, but for at least a minute stop crying and think. There isn't any parallel realities or something, its just the ending, we already saw that way of writing, scripting in Lost a few seasons ago, when it ended with Jack screaming "We have to go back". Ok so if we suppose that this is really the end, i will be very pleased with it, cause i don't think there will be better ending for Lost, rather than this one, and after the last episode we know, at least we think we know (nobody can trust The Black Smoke) the reasons why the plain crash and why our characters are on the Island. Now after Jacob is dead there is no more point to the Island to call them don't you think so? So the ending should be what our "second parallel reality" is. They should never crashed at the Island. So now when we know the ending we will wait and see how its going to get to that end. Cause we saw that with the hydrogen bomb didn't work.
  • Revelations

I loved this episode so much more than last weeks episode. The whole thing with Locke.. and the revelations in the end. I just mean, Locke has been so much more complex and more layered, intriguing char than Kate and the way this episode helped to show that unique side of his story again.. and even if we know it is not Locke and.. the whole scene (what was visually so impressive) with climbing and then the cave.. those names and the things he said.. and all those looks how Jacob has influenced everyone's lives. That was just.. impressive.

Loved the episode but.. I still think there is more to get..
  • The best Locke centric episode yet!

The brilliant acting of Terry O Quinn deserves an Emmy. A lot of hard work was clearly put into this episode, and it really paid off. The episode featured Sawyer and the MIB, as they journey together. The MIB wants to give Sawyer some answers. After a very intense trek across the island, the MIB leads Sawyer into a cave on a cliff for some answers....that will change his life and all the other survivor's lives forever!The brilliant acting of Terry O Quinn deserves an Emmy. A lot of hard work was clearly put into this episode, and it really paid off. The episode featured Sawyer and the MIB, as they journey together. The MIB wants to give Sawyer some answers. After a very intense trek across the island, the MIB leads Sawyer into a cave on a cliff for some answers....that will change his life and all the other survivor's lives forever!