Lost

There's No Place Like Home (3)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 29, 2008 on ABC

• Killing off all the original characters.

They're doing what they always do. I've been following it four years, but I think they lost me this time. They've killed literally 3/4 of the original characters by this point and I'm getting tired of seeing characters built up and then shot to pieces. It's unrealistic to kill so many people in the space of a few days on a plane wreck anyway. I'm not sure why there are so many who vote for this in the 10 range. I can see that, all things considered, separate from the rest of the series, it's a pretty good show, but to kill so many main characters detracts from the show and what has been built up; I'm sorry.
  • Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery.

Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been about answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery, with characters that (mostly) don't change, and without the ability to fill two good hours of television.
    The weaker moments:
    * Jack waits until after the opening sequence to remember he doesn't care about Locke.
    * Most boring bomb ever.
    * Keamy's alive, Sawyer's alive, gimme a break.
    * Lock gushes about Ben killing everyone on the ship, but then has a heart-breaking farewell moment with him.
    * What probably bugged me the most: So that's the reason the Oceanic Six lied? This is so lame. What did you think was going to happen to you? To the people on the Island? Maybe you'd become public figures who no one can touch, and certainly the search for the rest of the survivors would've created public interest. Even if this isn't Jack's real reason and he's channeling Locke, why didn't any of the others object to this silliness? Why couldn't the producers see this for the unconvincing plot device it is?

What did work?
    * Sun.
    * The audience cheers as the former Iraqi soldier hits the former US commando. Very clever.
    * The people on the lifeboat are, essentially, archetypes (The doctor, the pregnant woman, the pilot, and so on). This is essentially a reference to the Lifeboat dilemma (look it up). I liked that everyone survives eventually - I kept waiting for Lapidus to trip on a banana and break something.

(Translated from my post in Hebrew at tve.co.il)
  • I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for this review, but here goes anyway: a lot of unbelievable (even for LOST) things happened here.

While I certainly appreciated the writing in this episode where it made sense (Michael Emerson was fantastic as always, and Penny and Desmond's reunion was heartfelt), there were some things that I had inexcusable problems with.

First:

Why didn't Frank check the helicopter before they lifted off? They were in no imminent danger, and after having just been in a gunfight that was in the immediate vicinity of the helicopter, one would think he'd check for problems/holes. I don't buy that they were in a desperate hurry to get off the island--you'd still want to be sure you were good to go. This was simply a sloppily written way to get Sawyer off the helicopter.

Also, when/why did the freighter move, and how did the chopper then find it? Juliet should not have been able to see the ship since they hadn't been able to see it before. Just because there's a fire doesn't mean it's easier to see. It should still have been 80 or so miles away--remember, the guy in part 1 that was manning the vessel wouldn't move it, and it was because the radio frequency of Keamy's explosive device was stopping him from seeing the reef. The human eye can't see a fire's smoke 80 miles away.

Also, that crash into the ocean of the helicopter was very violent. How did everyone survive? The claim that "the island made them survive" seems a bit far for me--why, then, has everyone else who's died in the past seasons also perished? I think if Frank had bit the dust or someone at least been injured, it would have been more believable. And how the heck is Aaron completely okay at that point? It just isn't believable.

Last, I understand why, in the heat of yelling at Jack, Kate would refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham, and why Sayid would call him that as well, if they were being watched/listened to. But why would Walt when talking to Hurley? It seems the writers simply did that to keep up the guise.

Let me be clear that I have no problem with the direction things have gone--I don't think the "move the island" thing or the mysterious wheel are problematic, so long as they're eventually explained. I do, however, take issue when these unrealistic things happen that are supposed to be "real"--not sci-fi or inexplicable. It's just a tad sloppy, especially for Damon and Carlton.
  • Well, the answers are here, but in the process, what we enjoy about Lost may be gone forever.

Lost walked what was a very well known dead end for three years. Twin Peaks, Dinasty or The X Files had been there before, and Lost was very self-consciously trying to avoid the same pitfalls.

I now wonder if it's worth it. The three parter here doesn't feel like a season finale, but a series finale itself. The switch from questions to answers mode is made, but ending the season on such a revelatory note creates the feeling that everything has been said and done. We might not know who Jacob is or what happened to "Jeremy Bentham" up until his death, but we get closure for pretty much every character. They are redefined in a way that allows people's imaginations to develop further, because there's nothing we know is going to happen. We are told the Oceanic Six will attempt to return to the island, but we don't know that they will actually make it there so, in fact, if no other Lost episode was ever produced, this show would have ended with as much closure as The X Files did.

As for the episodes themselves, they made a surprisingly Hollywood turn from hiding what's going on to showing it. No longer strange effects are hidden from sight. Ships blow up, islands disappear leving behind a water ripple... Overall, it's not quite as effective or suspenseful as the alternative. But, I guess, that's what endings are all about.

So that's the reasoning behind the score up there. It's a somewhat decent ending for Lost, but it's a season finale that actually diminishes my desire and expectations for the last two seasons.

I won't be counting the days for the show's return, this time but, to its credit, I won't because I'm reasonably satisfied already.
  • I feel under-whelmed…and I don't really know why.

An island moved, spirits appeared before people, and Ben apparently time traveled across the world. But oddly enough, I was fine with all of those developments. In fact, I've come to accept them all as part of the Lost mythology over the last four years. So why then do I feel so indifferent about this episode?

Maybe it was the death of Michael. There's was huge hype last summer when Harold Perrineau was coming back to reprise the role. But then Michael came back and…nothing. His whole purpose in returning seemed to amount to a whole load of nothing. It seemed like a waste. It seemed like the producers only brought him back because so many fans were asking "What happened to Michael and Walt!?" And they were like…"Ok! Fine! Let's bring him back! How do we insert him into the story?" Granted, the way Michael died, with Christian appearing before him, was really cool. But Michael's run on the fourth season was just kind of lackluster...and that's just a shame. Leaves kind of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Maybe it was Jin's death. I mean, even Michael got a better send off then him. Hell! Even Nikki and Paulo got a better send off then him! Four years investment into his character and…nothing. No music or emotional scene like we got with Charlie, no cool lines like we got with Michael…just an explosion. Now, there's still speculation that Jin could be alive. After all, I believe Faraday was driving the Zodiac towards the wreckage when the freighter exploded. So…maybe Jin's alive? I certainly hope so. Or else that's a very insignificant death for a character who all in all seems to have been very insignificant to the overall scheme of Lost.

Maybe it was the fact that everyone survived the helicopter crash, including the baby! I mean, if everyone was intended to survive they could have at least made the helicopter crash look less violent. But the helicopter crash – in all its crappy CGI glory – looked absolutely brutal! And nobody was even injured….or bleeding! I don't know…I mean, I realize that earlier this season a loaded gun couldn't even shoot Michael. And perhaps this is what happened here…the island refused to allow the Oceanic Six to die. That would all match up, but still…kind of an eye roller.

Maybe it was at the beginning of the episode when Keamy was shot in the back by Richard. Keamy rolled over and all the others stood around his "corpse." Now I knew Keamy was still alive, I knew his dead man's trigger storyline still needed to conclude… but I couldn't help but be bothered by the fact that nobody shot him in the head! It seemed like the obvious thing to do in that moment! Even though I knew this couldn't happen for the sake of the story, this really bothered me. My only explanation for this moment is that Ben didn't want Keamy to be killed at this moment. After all, he did seem to be expecting Keamy later on in the episode while in the Orchid station. But the logistics of such a maneuver makes no sense! If Ben wanted to kill Keamy why didn't he just do it while he was incapacitated!? It's not like Ben really savored his death when he killed him later on! I understand that this is a HUGE nit-pick on my part, and that the way the story unfolded occurred primarily for dramatic effect…but I think the writing could have been less sloppy. That's just me.

Maybe it was the fact that Locke actually shook Ben's hand. This is more of a peeve then anything…but come on! The guy just killed everybody on the freighter, including, quite possibly, your friends…and you shake his hand! I guess I can just chalk this all up to the weakness that Locke's character has shown throughout the series, but still…annoying.

By now you probably think I hated the episode, but I didn't (I did give it an 8.0 after all). Actually, I quite liked most of it. Everything except the aforementioned five things really held it together. Locke in the casket was an absolute mind blower, Sayid versus Keamy was probably one of the best TV (or movie for that matter) fights I've seen in a while, and Desmond and Frank getting off the island as well was a pleasant surprise. I'm still going to have to come to terms with all the islands "spiritual rules," (Whoever moves the island must leave; Everyone – the Oceanic Six plus Locke's corpse – must go back) but I'm sure those will all register over the next nine months. All in all, the season four finale felt a lot like the season two finale (I do realize that a giant "glow" engulfs the island in both episodes…perhaps that has something to do with it?), in that both felt kind of under-whelming…at least in my opinion. I'm not sure why, but either way I'm still anticipating season five.

I really want to see what Sawyer, Locke, Juliet, Miles, and Charlotte did over the last three years. Because I'm ass-uming that's what season five will be about: Flashbacks of what happened over the three years on the island, and flash-forwards of Jack trying to convince the rest of the Oceanic Six to return. Can't wait.
  • Not the best finale in my opinion, but definitely has left me anticipating more in Season 5.

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

How sad it was to watch Sun screaming for the helicopter to go back and pick up Jin. And oh wow, Christian Shepard appearing in front of Michael just as the freighter was about to blow up. If I were Sun, I'd freakin' kick Jack off the chopper. What do you mean it's okay? The dirty work employee of her father's company, the love of her life and the father of her child just died. Jeez. If I was flash-forward Sun, I'd become a cold-blooded-sounding woman as well.

The Orchid is creepier than any other station so far, and it certainly brought me back to the days of The Swan with Locke and Kate first staring down the hole into the hatch. The frozen cave Ben went into to turn the thingy was awesome, although a little a bit too fake for me.

I'm sure Kate's little dream-visit from Claire means much, but I doubt that it does. And when the chopper really did run out of fuel, I really freaked out. But no, they were all alive. Imagine if Desmond had really drowned. How sad that would be for Penny to have them bring her Desmond's corpse. It's a good deal that Frank and Desmond stayed on Penny's boat and the Oceanic 6 as we know them drifted on to some foreign beach.

I think it's a tragic thing, but a real great thing that these people are all brought closer together by disaster. Hurley, Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Sayid are totally different people, yet they know each other so well and trust each so much at this point, that it's touching.

Ben confronting Jack at the funeral parlor was terribly scary. The fact that Sun, Hurley, Sayid and Kate were all not convinced that they should go with Jack back to the island looked hard to swallow. I'm excited to see if and how they manage it. Ben's ideas are always interesting.

But not more interesting than the fact that Locke's corpse must return with them.

So. Sawyer, Juliet, Charlotte, Rose, Bernard and Miles are all still on the beach. Daniel is somewhere out at sea. Locke is leader of Richard and the Others. Claire is with Jacob. Kate, Sayid, Sun and Hurley all seem to be having their own special issues post-island. And Ben and Jack, working together?

Can't wait for season 5. Makes me so proud to have been a fan since the pilot. :)

Oh and WOW, almost forgot to mention the island disappearing. WHAT a trick that was. I really, really wanna see how the writers explain it in the coming seasons.
  • A Lost season finale, not surprisingly it was very good!

The previous episode ended with several major cliff-hangers to be resolved in the finale. Because of that and the knowledge of who the Oceanic Six were this episode had a clear focus and storyline from the start and I was just thankful to be along for the ride. Having a clear idea of how things were going to end actually made it more intriguing rather than less as the question was how do only these six get of the island. This season has been very good at not beating about the bush when it has come to major storylines, unlike some previous seasons. So the fact that how they got off the island is fully wrapped up in this double episode was particularly satisfying.

Despite that I wasn't too impressed with the way the episode started. Firstly the "Previously on Lost" sequence seemed a bit poor. Normally it's well edited with a great soundtrack to accompany it, but here it felt a bit flat. Although as not really part of the episode, that's a minor quibble. The episode starting right where last season's finale ended was something I wasn't too fond of. It was a fair enough way to kick off the finale, but going back and adding to that scene felt a bit cheap to me. It was such an iconic scene that trying to milk off it seemed unnecessary and a bit poorly done. I'd have much rather if Jack and Kate's conversation took place somewhere else not right there by the airport.

The rest of the flash-forwards were great though. Where part one had shown the Six's lives within the first few months back in the real world, this episode delved deeper into what they're all doing three years on. Each of them got an appropriate scene and each of them were great. Hurley got a visit from an old (and now quite tall) face. If I hadn't noticed Walt's name in the opening titles then it might have been a bit more surprising, but it was still great to see him back on the show. The flash-forwards have conveniently allowed for him to play his actual age which meant that he didn't need to be recast, a very good thing as Malcolm David Kelley is such a good young actor. His scene with Hurley was mainly to set the stage for the rest of the episode but I'm glad Walt's still part of the show as there's a lot more to find out about him.

Another name I couldn't help recognising in the opening titles was Jim Robinson's (Neighbours joke) AKA Charles Widmore. I assumed that his scene would be with Ben, but instead he shared the screen with Sun. In the last few years she's clearly become an established business woman within her father's company and it would appear that she wants revenge on Ben. Sayid getting Hurley out of the mental home was also cool, complete with an invisible special guest. Just Hurley mentioning Mr. Eko's name was enough to give me goosebumps, and even though it's unlikely we'll see him again the fact that he's still acknowledged on the show is a very good thing. Kate also had an unexpected visitor, but this time we could see them and it was in a dream. Claire's warning about Aaron seemed to me more of an excuse to get her into the episode for good measure than anything else but it was a nice little scene nonetheless.

Each of the flash-forwards did two things. The first was to show a part of the characters' lives and where they are now and the second seemed to be set-up for season 5. Although there are still a lot of major questions at the episode's end the sections in the future work well as specifically showing clear direction as to what will happen on the show next year. And so with that onto the core of the episode, which was set on (and around) the island.

The episode started with the cast members all spread around the place. We started with Jack and Sawyer on their way to rescue Hurley which resulted in Jack having another talk with Locke. It wasn't quite the same as the "Man of Science, Man of Faith" conversation (which is actually referenced) but it reminded the viewers of how different these two characters' perspectives are. We were then shown Ben's predicament with the mercenaries and treated to a superb action sequence! We were led to believe that the Others lost ten of their best last season but it would seem that the ones left aren't bad either! The way they took out the mercenaries was very well done and incorporated various different tricks they've used throughout the series including being stealthy, breaking necks and the shocking devices. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better Sayid jumps out at Keamy and they have a superb fight together. It was well choreographed and yet still believable as it didn't go over the top. Sayid rarely gets to show off his fighting skills so it was great to see him go at it here. Unfortunately he didn't win the fight himself and needed Richard to save him, but it was still awesome all round!

On the freighter Desmond, Michael and Jin were desperately trying to find a way to disarm the C4 in the ship's radio room. A quick line from Desmond about bomb disposal training in the army was enough to establish that he might just find a way to stop it. There was also a lot of effort put into why they couldn't disarm the bomb due to the many triggers. Most TV shows would've just pointed at the bomb and said "we're screwed" but Lost went out of its way to try to clearly explain why the characters were screwed. It prevented the characters from seeming silly for just staring at the bomb as well as why they didn't just run for it. I've only really got Lost's word (and Metal Gear Solid 2) to go on that Michael's attempt to stop the bomb was reasonable. But it gave him a strong purpose in the episode as well as a chance at his redemption.

After being rescued from the mercenaries Ben returns to the Orchid station to find Locke unable to get in it. His line about Locke not being able to find the right flowers was nice and it was good that there could still be a little humour in the episode considering everything that was going on. The Orchid station itself was very reminiscent of the Swan (that was the one with the button in, yeah?) and we got to see another orientation film. We've learned a lot about the Dharma Initiative but it's always great to see more of them and I still want to find out how Marvin Candle/ Mark Wickman/ Edgar Haliwax lost his arm. With time-travel an established part of Lost's mythology now there's some legitimacy behind Ben moving the island, as well as time-travelling bunnies. Locke's face while watching the video telling him not to put metallic items in the vault as Ben was doing just that was priceless, but we all new that Ben new what he was doing.

By this point Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sayid and Sawyer were on the chopper with Frank heading for the freighter. Obviously this was very close to the final Oceanic Six to the point where I was terrified as to what might become of Sawyer. And sure enough one of the bullets had ruptured the helicopter's fuel tank and they weren't going to make it to the ship. It was obvious what Sawyer was going to do but I couldn't help yell "Sawyer, don't do it" just as he kissed Kate goodbye and jumped from the helicopter. This was a huge moment and an amazing self-sacrificing thing for Sawyer to do, although from his perspective he would've thought he'd just have to wait a bit longer to get on the ship.

As with the season 3 finale with a lot going on the episode ran the risk of seeming like several different shows that didn't go together, and thankfully like the season 3 finale they all came together brilliantly with each affecting the rest. Ben killing Keamy caused the bomb to arm just as the helicopter landed on the freighter thus heightening the episode's tension to boiling point. That the fate of each character was now so brilliantly intertwined it really linked everything together well. Now that a good number of main characters were on the freighter it was really edge of your seat stuff. I never realised how dramatic refuelling a helicopter could be but it was done superbly!

When the freighter blew up it did look incredibly visually impressive, but it was also my main gripe with the episode. As a good number of the survivors were on the freighter by this point you would've thought Jack would've done his best to try to save them. Just getting on the helicopter and leaving most of his friends to die seemed very out of character, even considering how futile the situation was. The destruction of the ship also felt like a cheap way to get rid of all the extras. As we didn't know any of the ones that died as viewers we won't be too bothered but I can't help but feel that the showrunners were just getting tired of paying forty odd folk to stand about every week. On top of that although we knew Jin was going to die and it was most likely going to be the bomb that killed him I feel that it could've been done better. Because he was near the edge of the ship there's an argument that he could've survived. Now whilst I think Jin's a great character and will be sorely missed I'll feel it as a bit of a cop out if he survived. I really would've preferred if they'd clearly established that the blast took him out by using a close up shot with a CGI flame or something. Although Jin's death may not have been perfect, Sun's reaction to it was. The entire cast of Lost is incredible, but she really gave it her all to convey her decimation after seeing Jin blown up.

Then there's Michael's death. This is something that's bothered me about the entire season; because of the characters being at various different areas on and around the island it has been difficult for each of them to get enough screen time. As a result all of the newcomers seem unlikeable as we know very little about them and even some of the older cast members haven't had a lot to do (like Claire). But when Harold Perrinau was signed up for season 4 a big deal was made about it which implied he'd be around for a while. Just bringing him in to kill him off in the way they did seemed pointless to me and I feel that they've completely wasted a good character and a great actor. Maybe if he'd only been brought back as a guest star rather than a regular would've been a better idea especially as he was only in about five of the thirteen episodes. That said his death was pretty cool, complete with Christian Sheppard turning up to tell him he could die now. Speaking of, after four seasons isn't it about time we got to properly see one of the apparitions appear as opposed to the cheap off-screen camera trick?

That was my only real issue with the episode, although I do want to mention that this is the first season that not each main character has had at least part of an episode focused on them. Neither Claire nor Sawyer got any flashbacks/forwards this year and while Claire could be overlooked considering how awesome Sawyer has been this year it annoys me somewhat. Although that's a seasonal complaint that can't really be blamed on one individual episode. And so back onto the good stuff. Now that Ben officially handed over his leadership to Locke he had only one duty left to fulfil for the island, which was to move it. When Locke first said this a couple of episodes back I thought it was ridiculous, but to the show's credit they pulled it off in a very convincing way. There was just enough techno-babble so that I could buy the logic behind it without them going too into it. But of course the best part was as Ben went down to move the island his clothing and gash on his arm seemed very familiar. I can't think of any time Lost has given the answer to a mystery before they've given the question. Ok, in fairness the question was really "how did Ben end up in the desert wearing a big jacket?" I really didn't think that answer would be given for a long time and so to see how he got there in the finale was beyond excellent. A very satisfying answer to what had seemed like a dodgy mystery and so I was extremely happy with that one. Again Michael Emerson was excellent as he started crying whilst turning the wheel knowing that it meant him leaving the island he loved. Superb stuff!

And of course something as big as moving the island was going to affect everyone, and none more than those on the helicopter. With the freighter destroyed they had no choice but to head back to the island and just as they did it vanished. Jack still refusing to believe what he just saw was almost comical, but it would be hard to justify how something like that could be done and so his scepticism was totally believable. With nowhere to land the helicopter had to crash in the water but the catch was we knew everyone would survive. Well that is except Desmond and Frank. They played on this very well by having Desmond get a nasty bash on his head and not breathing. I think I might've cried if they did kill off Desmond, but fortunately common sense won out and he survived. What happened after that very nearly did make me cry, with tears of joy. (Although obviously not because I'm a guy and we don't cry!)

Rescue was one thing, but that it was Penny's boat was superb! Despite seeing her name in the opening titles I really didn't see that one coming! As soon as I heard the Portuguese accents (it was Portuguese wasn't it?) I couldn't help but think that maybe and then when we saw her it was awesome! Desmond and Penny had a reunion of sorts in "The Constant" but here it was for real and very, very emotional. An incredibly fitting end and excellent way for them to be rescued. The "One week later" bit seemed a bit weird considering that was about how long the fourth season seemed to cover, but I could buy it. Having the end so brilliantly tie into the flash-forwards was great and it really felt like disassembled parts of a picture coming together.

Of course it wasn't over yet, there was one more surprise in store for us: who was in the coffin. It seemed a little bit tacked on and didn't really work with the story but I'm not going to complain when we're given a reveal like that! It was obviously either Ben or Locke so as soon as Ben turned up behind Jack I knew who was in the coffin. Although it makes perfect sense and was played brilliantly, I feel that the reveal was held off a bit too long. If we'd seen Locke's face before hearing Ben's voice it might've worked better, but then again it did mean that the reveal got to be the last shot of the season which was appropriate.

So another season down and a superbly satisfying finale. The main questions raised in it aren't really to do with the show's mythology, but rather how will season 5 even work!? With all the different main characters all over the place now it'll be impossible to have episodes with everyone in (although in fairness this was the only one in season 4 with the whole main cast). Will the likes of Desmond or Claire be main characters next season or not? Did Daniel get transported with the island or is he stuck in the middle of the ocean? Guess we'll have to wait until the season 5 cast list is revealed to find out, but until then this great episode should tie us over. Although there wasn't quite a moment that was on par with the flash-forward reveal last year or the "I think I crashed your plane" the year before this was still an excellent overall episode. Lost has done it once again!
  • Excelente final de temporada, muy tipico de LOST

Este es un capitulo impresionante! Tipico de la serie LOST, y mas aun, muy tipico como final de temporada! Es increible como se van desenvolviendo los personajes respecto de su vida en la isla con los "flashfowards" del futuro, y se va encaminando la seria para el espectador de entender el por que, despues de haber sido "rescatados", alguno de ellos quieren volver a la isla para ayudar a los que se quedaron. De igual forma, es increible los conocimientos que tiene Ben de la isla, se las sabe todas! Supo que era lo que iba a pasar cuando movieran la isla, y sabe que hay que regresar a la isla, es increible el final del capitulo cuando Jack y Ben hablan entre ellos diciendose que deben volver a la isla todos los que salieron de ella, incluso, el que aparece muerto en el ataud al minuto final del capitulo, dejando la expectativa de como murio y de como salio de la isla!!! Definitivamente tengo que seguir viendo la proxima temporada!!! es adictiva!!!
  • Great, but could have been even better

hmmmmm...

On one hand, it was a damn fine two hours of Lost.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

I'm beginning to rethink my feelings about the flashforwards. Don't get me wrong, they brought a whole new element to the show, but it basically sucked almost all the suspense out of the finale. Aside from a few details, we knew the fate of almost every character involved. Lost's biggest strength (and to some its biggest weakness) is keeping the audience in the dark; we have no idea what could happen at any second. It does right what the Blair Witch project excelled at: letting our minds fill in what our eyes couldn't see. But after a season of finding out where most of the main characters end up, we lose that uncertainty. We don't know exactly how things will happen, but we're not suprised when they do. When people died and freighters blew up, it was definitely dramatic, but... well, we knew it was coming. It's sort of like The Sixth Sense: everyone who saw it in theaters after the first couple of days knew that Bruce Willis was a ghost. That doesn't mean the ending was badly crafted, but it loses its impact with the audience.

Spoilers Ahoy!

The first hour was definitely the better of the two. Its momentum was on par with last season's finale: things were happening, and they were happening fast. Bunnies were traveling through time, there was enough C-4 on the boat to blow up an aircraft carrier, and Keamy was stabbed in the throat. The latter of these events was followed by Ben's simplest yet most awesome line to date: "So?"

The second hour seemed more concerned with connecting the dots between the island and the flashforwards than caring about how well it did it. Every major event had an accompanying anticlimax. The freighter is about to blow up, people are scurrying for lifevests, and then out of nowhere we're belowdeck with Michael and Christian Shepard saying "You can go now." Boom, the freighter's gone, but we've lost all of our excitement for the moment. Sun was crying, but we're not sure how to feel: Jin is dead, but wasn't the explosion what Michael wanted? Ben is about to move the island, but first he has to move some of the metal objects out of the way, walk through an icy tunnel, fall down a ladder, light a lantern, then spend an entire minute pushing a Frozen Donkey Wheel (though I guess it would have to take that long to turn; islands are heavy, after all). Then we spend another 30 seconds watching the sky turn white. After all this, I was just waiting for the island to move, already. What was the payoff? A splash. I was expecting something bigger after a three-episode buildup. I almost wonder if the two halves had different directors; things in the second half seemed to lack that usual Lost spark.

In retrospect, I guess there was no other way things could have gone down. If you set up a chain of dominos a certain way, that's the way they're going to fall. Maybe it's just that I've gotten used to Lost keeping me in the dark. As we learn more about the world surrounding the show, Lost loses its sense of mystery; without its sense of mystery (and without the island, which seems to no longer be the central setting for the show), what makes Lost different from any other drama on television?

But I think I'm looking at the show from a very negative standpoint. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse definitely have a plan for the rest of Lost's run, and we have every right to trust them. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this episode; I suppose I was just unfairly expecting it to be as phenomenal as last season's finale. One thing's for sure: I'll definitely be tuning in next year to see the best show on television continue.
  • Exactly what a usual season finale of Lost Can Deliver!!!!!

Plot Details/Objective -» Who is in that Coffin´s? How much time passed that the Oceanic six escaped from the Island? How Ben got out? What happened with Desmond and Penelope? IS Jin really Death? Will Michael die? What happened with the Other survivors in the Island? The writers had enough material to make this episode great.

What I Like/Disliked -» The ending was my favorite part. Loved to Know what happened to cause only six to escape. We have here another mystery, since we don´t Know what happened with the Others Characters. If Jin is Dead, is something to be confirmed in the next season. And Finally Des and Penny are reunited, they deserved.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). Nothing from the other world, but was nice to see.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). The freighter situation was interesting, the tension was great, since you want to Know who will die. The situation get more complicated when the Island disappears. The only thing is: you already Know who will not die.

Climax/End of the Complications -» (8/10). Was nicely handled, typical Lost, miracle or Luck, whatever you may interpret, they survived and were rescued.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). Exactly what you can expect, not more shocking than the Last Season, but continued to be very good.

Flash Forward´s -» (10/10). What could be so good or shocking that make rate it 10? The final scene says all. Sun Plans also it is interesting. Kate had a intriguing dream.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). This time the writers was more successful, since it is very hard to notice any scene that was there to buy time.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Everything that was important to be said, was said.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). This time was in form of adventure with the Helicopter. The first situation was intense and Sad because Jin. Than the Island disappeared and then you ask yourself how they will escape.

Drama/Emotions -» (10/10). I think even Michael dead was little sad too, but Jin Beat him from Miles. The ending, well, sad, surprising and shocking, too Shocking. The writers here exaggerate because this is the season finale and they were successful. Did you worry when Des was being reanimated?

Suspense/Tension -» (10/10). There is always one or two moments filled with tension, and if it was well done, only depends in how complicated is the situation for the Characters to overcome. This time Lost writers was successful. Great way to make the audience worry when Desmond is being reanimated.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). Finally you know who is in the coffin´s. How the Oceanic Six escaped too, and how Ben teleported off the Island. So it is impossible that you wouldn´t be satisfied with this episode.

Surprise/Twists -» (9/10). The writers come up with something to season 3 and 4 final scenes, and it is guaranteed, that it is not more shocking than season 3, but is very shocking anyway. Exactly what a usual season finale of Lost Can Deliver.
  • Three main issues arent convincing...

First, Why would Jack still disagree on the fact the Island has been moved! I mwan c'mon, he doesnt have to be this stubborn, everybody else onthe helicopter saw it dissapearing.

Second, why wouldnt anyone say the name of the dead Guy in the coffin (Locke)? Seems silly, especially when they say:
    "dont say his name..." is it a riddle?! I see it as a faut pas for the producers whi havent dissapoitned me until this one..

Third, Whats with Christian! is he an Angel?! PLS NOT or it would be so cheekly, then that guy that doesnt grow would be the devil..etc,.. i hope the producers prepared really amazing and unpredictable answers or it would be such a dissapointment from such a big hit show.
  • Cool episode, but this is a very weird and kind of stupid tv show

This episode was really long, but good. I'm not a big fan of the show but i had to admit this was a good episode. I'm sure that in the end of the series the producer will give no answer to all the weird things are happed. They don't even bother to explain the thing with the polar bear for Christ sake... Anyway, i'm downloading the series just for fun... but the plot actually sucks hehehe

bye!

cdjgvnrjrgvjrbgv efejbf fejfbeb febwjfuebbf e febfebwu febfube febfbei ebffbeubf fbebfib jefbebfe ebfubeufbe febfub ebfueu bfeb eufbuebf bfb b ebfbfwb fbeb bbfebfbebf jfebbfj jbjfbfb jfebf bfjbefj
  • Outstanding. It is amazing that they can continue to pull this off.

So, after all the hype I was worried about this one. After all, it is almost impossible to live up to the tremendous expectations that were built up over the course of the season.

Cheers:

- The action sequences were well-paced, appropriate, and kept things moving.
    - Anything with Desmond in it is going to be good, and they used him well here.
    - They did a good job of putting this season to rest, so it is clear that next season can start fresh.
    - There actually was a frozen donkey wheel (go figure!) and for the first time ever, I feel that the Dharma stuff is less interesting than the much older structures they apparently built the stations to study. This was an unexpected turn (for me, at least).

Jeers:

- Michael's ending felt very flat, particularly after all the marketing hype about bringing his character back. Sure, he did some good things, but he didn't get much credit for them.
    - Because of the flash-forwards, I'm starting to feel like I'm watching a repeat. They really need to be careful next season to keep things interesting. The main mystery can't be how does someone die (who you already know dies due to a flash forward).
    - Because of the writer's strike, the freighter folk didn't get enough exposition. I'm looking forward to that next season, particularly for the Miles character.

So, overall this was an outstanding ending to the season. My main concern really is with the next two seasons, as it will be difficult to keep things fresh and mysterious. It should be a wild ride!
  • Oceanic six are rescued by Penny's boat and her and Desmond are FINALLY reunited (thank God!). Jack gets them to lie about the survivors in response to Locke's final words pleading for him to do so. Locke is dead in a flash forward and has a new name.

Why lie to protect the survivors left on the island? Protect them from what? The only threat to them (widmore)already knows they're lying and the island has been moved so now noone else can find it except maybe Ben and he too knows they're lying.

I think Locke failed as "leader" and was ousted in a revolt. He blames Jack and the others leaving for destiny not being correctly fullfilled and thus contacts them (and/or the island contacts them) in an attempt to bring them back to "correct things". The remainders dont want him back (claire-"dont you dare bring him back") and will have a chilly reception for anyone returning.

BTW I think there will be survivors of the frieghter explosion, maybe Sun and Michael among others, who will not be "on board" with the others who dont want the six returning.

Gonna be awesome.
  • And now what ?

With this final episode, just one thing comes to my mind, and now what?? We will still be seeing the other people that staied in the island ? Why the hell they needed to stay there ? Why do the ones that left have to come back ?
    Why was Locke off the island ? What the hell is that island ? What is Jack's father connection to the island ?

To me this finale brought more questions than answers, like most of lost episodes, but i just think they should have answered more things about the island. So for me that was the down side of this episode.
  • The season 4 finale has fundamentally changed the formula/foundations of Lost, more so than any other episode of the series. It will be curious to see where the writers will go. It is a gutsy move on their part, and I applaud them for it.

The beginning of the second half of the season four finale picks up with Sayid visiting Hurley in the mental institution (again, a flashforward). It raises a few questions, who is spying on Hurley, and why? Are the other Oceanic survivors also being followed and spied on? The scene between Hurley and Sayid is a mixture of mystery and humor. The writers waste no time in revealing that Jeremy Bentham is a pseudonym for someone that Oceanic 6 are clearly familiar with. This is a welcome change of pace from the usual "Let's bring something up and explain it in three seasons." Of course, the fact that Jeremy Bentham belongs to a coffin from a season ago seems to contradict that.

To say that the beginning of the last half of the finale is exciting is an understatement, although that in itself is a bit inaccurate. The opening is charged with all sorts of emotion. There is certainly a great deal of emotion present as Jin and Sun are separated when Jin just barely misses the helicopter. The acting on the part of both Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim truly conveys the agony and terror of losing the people you love. After all they had survived and been through, from Sun's father to the plane crash to the island, they are now torn because Jin just missed the helicopter. It is a truly cruel thing to do on the part of the writers, but it works marvelously.

John Locke and Ben's goodbye is also a very touching ending to their relationship, for the time being anyway. What makes it so touching is that for the first time since Ben's introduction to the show, we genuinely feel as though he is being completely sincere with John. The fact that such a sly character is being so sincere is satisfying in and of itself. The fact that John shakes his hand solidifies it as an excellent scene, though a bit rushed in some respects. Ben almost seems to be punishing himself for all his evil deeds by being the one who moves the island. In doing so he will never be able to return to it.

A weak point in the episode is the actual moving of the island, or rather, the helicopter crew's reaction to the island disappearing before their eyes. There is something about the acting and the direction of the scene that simply does not convey the shock of witnessing such a...miraculous, if you will, event. There is no real shocked moment of silence, and the words that are spoken hardly convey genuine shock. It should be interesting, however, to see where and when the Island moved, and how exactly that happened, though I'm not sure I'm a fan of the random underground frozen gear.

Conversely, there is a great moment on the life raft (following the helicopter crash) where the survivors are found by a boat (belonging to Desmond's lover, Penny). Jack, realizing that Locke had been right, becomes persuaded that they must lie about everything that happened on the island. He is initially disbelieving that Locke actually moved the island, which provides some good comic relief from Hurley as he asks Jack if he missed the island disappearing before his eyes.

Nothing in the episode however comes close to the quality of one of the most surprising, genuinely satisfying, and heart warming moments in the season finale...the reunion of Desmond and Penny. What makes their stories on the show and this reunion so great is that these are two very rare characters who are genuinely and completely good people in their hearts. They are victims of their fates, and it is almost an injustice that they were separated. All this makes their reunion a highlight of the episode. As the Oceanic Six leave on their fake journey, there is another touching moment where Jack and Desmond say goodbye. Jack takes Desmond's line from their first meeting in the stadium, telling him that he will see him "in another life." It is one line that brings about a nice sense of closure to their relationship. As with all things Lost, for the time being anyway.

The show ends with Jack breaking into the funeral parlor for the mysterious coffin that everyone had wondered about for a season. The cinematography, direction, and technical aspects lend to a chilling atmosphere in this scene. Before we are even shown who Jeremy Bentham really is, Ben startles Jack, and for a second in there, his voice is actually very much like Locke's. Obviously, Bentham is John Locke. He had visited and told Jack (among others) that bad things had happened since he left, that it was Jack's fault, and that the only way to fix things would be to take EVERYONE who left the island, back to the island, even John Locke's body. Kudos should be given to the writers for not waiting until next century to reveal actually who is in the coffin.

The end reveal of John Locke in the coffin raises very many questions...that will all I hope be answered with the next season. It is a compelling cliff-hanger and it is a powerful end to the best season of Lost since season one.

The finale of season 4 has fundamentally changed the formula and foundations of Lost, more so than any other episode of the series. It will be interesting to see how this will turn out. It is a gutsy move on the part of the writers, and I applaud them for it. Now, why did Coffin Locke not have a scar on his eye?
  • After the episode was over, I needed an Advil because my head was spinning from collecting my thoughts of everything that had happened within the past hour.

The three hours I watched of Lost on May 29 were some of the most intense hours of my life. Let me just say, everything was there: It was emotional, it was full of surprises, it was action-packed, it was revealing, it was funny, it was... exactly what Lost should be. I cried. I really did. Watching the freighter blow up and kill everybody on it did me in -- especially watching Sun's traumatic reaction to seeing Jin die (kudos to Yunjin Kim for a noteworthy acting moment). And of course, when Christian showed up right before... creepy! Let's just say I thought Michael Emerson was doing his finest work in this episode. Emerson is and has always been tremendous as Ben, but No Place Like Home was tops. He's so mysterious, so scary... such a perfect villain. And the other 3 best moments of the episode? 1) Sawyer's heroic leap into the ocean from the helicopter. Ok, I do NOT support Kate and Sawyer. I'm a die-hard Kate and Jack fan, but when he took off and jumped into the water, I was applauding. Seriously. My equally impressed couch-mate stared at me. 2) Desmond and Penny's reuniting!!! I'll just leave it at that. If you weren't touched, you aren't human. 3) The arrival at Membata. They were clearly so happy, but showing it in a very Lost-esque style, with no jumping up and down. I couldn't have imagined the scene any other way.

Now I can only wait for next fall!!! I might kill myself waiting six months, but at least I have the comfort that we DID find out who was in the coffin after all that build-up. (I was terrified we weren't going to.) Oh my God, it's Locke! Now the question is... how did he get there? Dum dum dum!
  • With explosions, gunfire, mythology and one of the greatest romantic reunions of all time, it is easy to see why Lost continues to be the greatest show on television.

Where do you start on one of the greatest episodes of the series. Locke finally became the leader of the others, Michael sacrificed himself in an attempt to save his friends, the oceanic six escaped and Ben moved the island out of Widmore's clutches, although for how long it is not certain. One thing is for certain however, season five is going to be all about mythology and here's hoping that we will finally be able to understand more about what the island is before we go steamrolling into the final season. Here's hoping that for a Charles Widmore flashback!!!!
  • A very satisfying ending to the fourth season.

Many shows have been butchered because of the writer's strike. Some ended sooner without a proper finale(Prison Break), some has been simply altered so that it would seem a "whole" season(Heroes).

Those aren't good. While Prison Break didn't leave us hanging like a PB finale would, Heroes didn't even... well, do a thing. It really left me cold. So I was a bit worried that the Lost crew tried to make the season a whole by cutting a few episodes and altering the finale. But guess what...

It worked.

This episode, while not as earth shattering as S2 or S3 finale, was amazing. From start to finish, it was an insane ride. Very fast paced, lots of action and some nice reveals.

This whole season was based on the last scene of season 3 and so this episode finally gives us the last possible perspective to comprehend that scene. After this, if you have questions regarding how the O6 got off and what happened to them - you simply have to rewatch season4 - there is nothing more to reveal about the timeframe between leaving the island and Jack's "We have to go back" scene. First of all: I loved the beginning. The continuation to the big scene was done well and it was quite interesting. Instantly revealing the fake identity of who's in the coffin was unexpected, at least for me. Jeremy Bentham - wink wink.

Moving on...., I was impressed once again. Getting so quickly onto the fight between the others and Keamy's men was also unexpected. And oh boy, it was a great scene, especially Keamy's capture. A fight scene really has to be impressive nowadays to gain a viewer's attention - there's one every five minutes on TV. But this - Sayid and Keamy - badass.

Then, I was almost in heaven. The conversation between Locke and Jack was... phenomenal. "It's not and island. It's a place where miracles happen". Exactly! And Jack doesn't believe John, that's just so Jack. So stubborn... But Locke is, too, right? Except, this time around, John is correct.

The previous episode ended with the O6 being all around the island so I was really excited to see how will they end up at the same place. It was handled really well. The flashforwards make the endpoint known but the road leading up to it is unpredictable enough to have you on the edge of your seat all the time. The same thing happened here.

How long is it before Sawyer gets off the chopper? - This is the question I kept asking myself. I figured, he wouldn't even get on it. But he did. So would he die on the freighter? No. There was a fuel leak and he sacraficed himself - interesting.

During the first 2 seasons we watched Sawyer being stubborn and really selfish. It was always a fact that he, deep inside, was caring, but he never really showed the signs. However once he got closure in season 3(He finally killed Anthony) he became a different man.

I do still claim Jack to be the "hero" of the show, but Sawyer was the "hero" of the season, that's for sure. His caring for his fellow survivors(Claire, Hurley), his clear thinking(Staying with Locke instead of Jack) and his ultimate sacrifice(jumping off the chopper) was really heroic.

John's and Ben's scenes in the Orchid were great. Having Keamy come back Mikhail style for just one more monologue was great . Nobody really expected Keamy to be taken down by anyone else but Ben, right? And so it happened. And we also learnt what is that strange device on Keamy's arm - some sort of remote control that activates the bomb on the freighter if Keamy's heart stops beating.

Ben's little "So what" was rather intriguing. In season 3 finale we learn that he's willing to go extremely far to protect the island, but regarding person matters, he always stays "cool". However, in season 4, we learned that he literally killed one of his best man just to keep him away from his love(Juliet). And now, we saw him sacrifice a bunch of people just so he can get his revenge.

All this - is probably the reason Jacob is no longer considering Ben to be the "leader" of the natives.

The freighter blowing up wasn't much of a surprise. However it was an amazing scene.

First of - Michael telling Jin to leave was the final piece of puzzle missing from Michael's redemption. He finally redeemed himself, even though it meant his death. Secondly - Jack rushing everyone to get on the chopper(while he's aware Jin is still on the boat) was very surprising. Jack's glory has been slowly fading away since the season 4 premiere but now it has completely disappeared. He only cared for Kate at that very moment, which definitely adds to the guilt he feels in the flashforwards.

One thing I found a bit out of character here was the fact that the red shirts didn't even try to get on the chopper. It would've made a great scene - showing the O6 block random people from entering the chopper - would've been a very dramatic, in my opinion.

So Jin and Michael dies - and Sun screams(which by the way was amazingly realistic). Unlike previous season finales, the episode's peak moment wasn't at the very end, but before it - Ben moving the island. Half scientific, half tale-like; but it was good. Amazing music and acting performance to accomadate Ben turning the Frozen Donkey Wheel.

Jack not admitting that he saw the island move was really in character for him and further proves that he's extremely stubborn. This stubborn state slowly fades away in the flashforwards and finally he realizes that John Locke was right all along - at the very end of the episode, where it's revealed that Jeremy Bentham is actually John Locke.

The writers planned this as a huge reveal, but I think it was not. It was great but not nearly as shocking as it was set up. I think it was a slight mistake to use it as the season cliffhanger. Still, it was great.

I also thought it was a bit too early to kill off Michael. However, this was due to the strike. Surely, if there had been 2 more episodes with at least 20 minutes of Michael - time, his death would've been more acceptable.

Another issue I had was that, it simply didn't have that "PUNCH" that the previous finales have. It, from the beginning to the end, felt like an episode that was made so it gets the "work" done: showing the actual rescue. I know, that is what it was supposed to do, but quite frankly, I counted on more unexpected twists and turns.

We knew the rescue would happen, we knew the island would move, we knew Jin would die. However that's just a minor complaint because even as it was, it was exciting.

But I have a bigger one: The big reunion. Penny and Desmond's relationship has been building up since season 2 and it truly is one of the greatest ones on television. So their reunion was epic, even though it wasn't nearly as epic as it could've been. There was not enough time to build it up or to enjoy it - it felt as if it was just stuffed into the episode. Even considering that, though, this was still an amazing finale. And I must give the writers a little leeway: after all, they did have extremely short amount of time to make this finale and they also had lesser episodes to tell the story; which is why this episode gets a 9.6 I did like "The Constant" and "The Shape of Things to Come" more, but this episode was much much more difficult to make; I really felt the tremendous amount of effort put into it.

However, had it been a regular finale to a regular season, I doubt it would've scored more than a 9.0 on my scale, which is still very impressive, of course, but not as impressive as the other Lost finales.
  • Only on Lost could you move a WHOLE ISLAND ... and not have the show's credibility shattered.

You have to admire the balls of a show like Lost. Every season finale finds a new way to rewrite the rules of conventional television, and yet never be considered to jump the shark. In the first season, they teased but did not reveal the hatch (which ended up backfiring when the hatch just turned out to be the entrance to a glorified computer lab). In the second season, the finale revolved around the romance of a guest star and a character who had just been introduced. And in the classic third finale, they actually transformed the entire premise of the show by introducing the narrative convention of flash-forwards.

The only problem with such audacity is that it gets harder and harder to top past performance with new ways to blow the audience's mind. So we arrive at the fourth season finale, which will suffer from inevitable comparisons to the third-season gamechanger. This time around they went for a 'shock' ending which answered an old question rather than introduce a new one. Not that this doesn't diminish from the impact of finding out who Jeremy Bentham is, but it's not quite as mind-turning as the last finale.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse themselves warned us in advance that this finale was more of a straightforward action-adventure narrative, and on this at least they did deliver. The classic Sayid-Keamy smackdown must surely go down as the most gripping fight this show has seen. We got the melodrama of Sawyer's last moments with Kate, the tension of Jin's and Michael's supposed deaths, and the tearful reunion (at last!) of Desmond and Penelope, which, considering it only started two seasons ago, will go down as a classic romance.

And of course, we got the usual dose of 'some answers, millions more questions' from the mythology side of the show. Now we know that an island CAN be moved, and that it looks pretty spectacular, but so many more questions will be asked. What's the deal with Dharma's time-travelling bunnies? How did Ben get thrust forward ten months into the future - in the middle of Tunisia? And most importantly, how on earth are the writers ever going to come up with answers to all these questions with only two seasons left?

That said, this episode gives further confirmation (if we needed any) why critics and fans can't get Lost enough. No other drama on television delivers so consistently yet leaves us wanting more. It's going to be a long eight months before we get any more answers.
  • My part 2 and 3 are the same review though I gave the last hour a higher score.

I have to admit before finally sitting down and writing this review I had to re-watch the episode three times just to make sure my score and review wouldn't be biased due to them having Locke in the coffin (he is my favorite character after all). I felt this episode was very well written and I didn't feel like the episode dragged at any part at all. Although some questions were answered such how did the Oceanic Six make it to that island, would Desmond finally get to Penny, would the island get moved, who was in the coffin etc, some other questions were also created. Some of these new ones to me at least are what happened on the island once it was moved? What happened to Daniel Faraday and the people he had in the raft did they get moved with the island? Will Jack and Ben be able to co-exist and get everyone they need to get to the island? Will the island ever be found again etc. Besides the ending of this season I have to admit this was one of the better seasons of Lost. Now we have the long wait till season 5 :(
  • jeremy bentham!

i have to admit i was completely lost regarding jeremy bentham. i tried to recall if the name was ever mentioned during the show before but i was sure it wasn't. then they mentioned "he changed his name", that's when i knew it had to be someone we already know... never suspected to be who it turned out to be.

excellent move by sawyer taking a dip to lighten the weight, it was totally expected from him! now we know when did he ask kate to keep the promise, but we still don't know what it is. can't imagine the swim he took to get to the island though.

i didn't like two scenes, the freighter blowing up seemed a bit too fake to me and when the chopper went down, i think they went too far, specially with aaron aboard. but, aaron is the miracle baby ;)

seeing ben getting ready to move the island wearing the same jacket he wore on the episode where he was on a desert and killed two soldiers was awesome.

what's up with sun, first she turned against her father and now meeting with mr widmore, she seems so powerful. is jack the second person she blames for jin's death?

we also learned the flash forwards are 3 years ahead!

i really enjoyed this season, for was it lasted. i just hope the writers don't go to strike again so we can have a longer next season.

i'll try to catch the other 2 alternate endings as mentioned during commercials!

// the next morning, i was able to see the alternate endings. the first showed sawyer in the coffin and the second one desmond.

btw, i forgot to mention one of my favorite moments was when sayid came for hurley, he was playing chess and right before he was leaving he said: "sorry, your move mr eko"

i'd love to see mr eko back!
  • I'm not going to review Part 2 because frankly Part 3 was the best part with most of the action!

As the face-off between the survivors and the freighter people continues, the Oceanic Six find themselves closer to rescue and rescued they are - by Penny! Penny and Desmond are finally reunited...Hold up, I've skipped near the end. Lets rewind a couple hours - real time!

Continuing from Season 3's finale, this feature length episode was absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, a fantastic season finale. I was literally biting my nails through the whole episode. It was nerve-wracking, provided comedy when needed, answers, questions and I always love a good explosion! I was saddened by the death of a good character and felt no emotion for the other two main ones. Walt is huge now!! Anyway, the mystery of the person in the coffin is - Jeremy Bentham but why the hell is John Locke, yes John Locke being referred to as Jeremy Bentham and why the hell do the Oceanic Six have to return to the island? These questions will play on my mind until February. And the moving the island thing was brilliant and the white light effect grom the Season 2 finale was brought back, eh? Come to think of it, the explosion on the boat was like the explosion in the also feature length Season 1 finale! Hmm...the last shot of Locke in the coffin was a dramatic twist and the brief appearance of Claire raises so many questions...
  • The world is a fascinating place, but the island is where amazing things happen... Excellent finale

The world is a fasinating place, but the island is where amazing things happen... Excellent finale.

Probably the best episode ever on the show. It seems underatted though. I mean this second hour of the finale. Absolutely amazing, too good to be true.
    The amazing things that happened, all the damn action you could ever encounter, people die (which was sad...) and many mysteries are revealed.
    My one and only favorite scene is the last. We find out who is in the coffin as Jeremy Benthem and what is to be expected in the next season.
    Ben's people came out of hiding and in which John left Ben to go on his path moving the island to a safe place. John was then returned home with the others (Ben's pack).

The whole helicopter scene was terrific, who would have expected Michael to encounter Christian before he died? Jin, well I was upset but none of us can say for sure if he has passed away.
    Finally, the survivors were rescued by Penelope's group off the Season 2 final but it was anything but happiness when Jack told all of them to lie, including Frank and Desmond.

The worst part for me was not Michael's death but the fact that Kate has Aaron in her care. Claire, what the devil has happened to her? The baby was her's god damn it.
    Ben is the best character on Lost. You can see why by watching the complete two-hour finale.
    Keamy sent by Charles Widmore would not give up on killing Benjamin or any of the survivors. His death caused the freightor to explode causing Michael to be killed, possibly Jin as well.
    I just cannot get over Jeremy Benthem as being John Locke. I had to watch this episode twice just to figure out what I was going to write in this review! Ben tells Jack that all of the Oceanic six must all go back to the island and Ben has an idea of how to convince everyone to go through with it.
    But in conclusion, the survivors are being watched... As we saw through Sun and Sayid rescuing Hugo from the mental institute.

Overall, excellent... Enough said. You just read my opinion for goodness sake! Lol
  • This is just great!!! A season finale i would expect.. the perfect eye catcher for the series... hope they continue like that

This is just great!!!
    A season finale i would expect.. the perfect eye catcher for the series... hope they continue like that, cuz really i love the series but on season 2 and 3 they started to make a little boring the series... this is a fine example of a series comeback the way everything happens and how we now understand all about previous "future scenes episodes" its great! the hole episode just makes you sit tight and enjoy what for me is the second best episode of the series... the first being of course "trough the looking glass"

Thanks a lot!
  • Part 3 delivers the woah-s.

I gotta admit to you, the whole island moving sequence was more fitting into Alias than Lost with the frozen enviorment, ancient writings, and island teleportation.

But in Lost, it's not about the actual happening, but rather the consequences of it. Now that we have all the knowledge about the escape, it's easy to understand the actions of the O6.

Now this episode does a mighty fine job with explaining the rescue, and it was pretty jam packed too. Sometimes emotional(Jin, Sawyer), sometimes action packed(the freighter blowing up, island disappearing, helicopter going down), and sometimes really bizarre. Christian showing up for Michael in the last moment? Wow.

That being said, another blah thing(for me) was the death of Michael. I understand he accomplished his mission, but it just kinda sucks that he died right when he came back and redeemed himself. Of course.. redemption is a recurring theme of the show, but I really hated seeing Michael go.

Now, the big twist, cliffhanger, or whatever you want to call it... simply wasn't there, but guess what, not a problem!! I thought the episode's conclusion arc was perfect this way. The conversation between Ben and Jack at the end pretty much sets up season 5. O6 returning on the island, because something's horrible going on there.

The big reveal... I called it in the S3 finale. After the Jack-Locke dialouge at the beginning of the episode I got confirmation. So I wasn't entirely shocked. However, let me say to you that it was still amazing. The way it was revealed - woah.

Another whoa moment was Penny and Desmond finally getting together. I shed some tears, I have to admit. And seeing Henrik(guy from arctic station in season 2 finale) again was a nice touch.

Another whoa moment was Sun's and Widmore's meeting. Would be interesting to see Sun as a villain... but of course this might just be a trick.

Overall, this is just my first impressions-thing, not an in depth review. My opinion on the episode as "just" an episode: amazing. As a finale: satisfying. It definitely was the weakest one out of the 4, but still incredible, definitely the best finale of the year.
  • OMG! this episode was... the fourth lost seasonfinal, amazing.

I saw this episode and just holding my breath, I love lost and even do, this season had have its ups and downs it was a very good episode. And I have to say Sawyer, shoud get more creatit, jumping out of the hellicopter to svave his friends and everbody sees Jack as there hero anyway. I am a little disapointed that he and Kate are`t together they are so perfect.

And whats up with this charlotte girl and her history... hum can`t wait... and my lovely Desmond finally got his Penny, hoping that they dont get find by her dad or ben. But this Ben story, he gave up his beloved island, and then I was suprised cause he allways got a plan. I wonder if he had some kind of plan when he left, he will get back I can feel it. The man in the coffin Jeremy benton was locke that was a suprise...I had hoped it was Ben and I had thaut that it was maybe Sawyer but luckely it wasint, but that Locke died on a island that saved him it strange. Locke has never been my favorite because he done so many bad and wrong things but, I hate when they killing of characters but next season, will see what happen on the island after oceanic six left.
    I can understand Sun for helping widmore but are she going to give up des and penny does she know were they are?
    She´s really changed to a hard person but that did´t shock me. And who is richard? I mean the island is strange but he is freaky, and never gets old. The more I see lost, The more questions I get. Even do this season a lot of them got answerd. Lost never gets boring and you you allways gets so confused. Season five ...o my ##### god
  • Action, mystery and a lot of events... all in this episode

When I was writing review for part 2, I realized that part 2 and 3 are so much connected.. it is almost hard separate them.. but as I tried I realized part 2 works mostly for setting up the events for this episode - and for that, we have almost no time wasting. From the first seconds, we have action...

The boat and the bomb. The way the try to solve it and how it ends. Michael's last minutes where rather interesting and I really jumped off my seat when Christian appeared.. It was unexpected.. and the way Jin died... (if he died?) it was rather not so great as there was nothing glorious. Maybe they wanted to change their usual style giving chars a very heroic deaths.. Anyway.. on the Dharma station.. time traveling bunnies and all that.. and then Ben.. if we would not know that he still be around thanks to flashfowards it could be said - another char killed off.. or something like that as he was somehow transformed into very heroic person and those last moment he add in this episode, moving that thing.. and he and Lock before he went.. he was a totally another person than before.. and a char I could like.

And Locke.. I liked this turn with his char - he, now being a leader of the Others.. that was something i was never thinking and I am sure it is going to be very interesting storyline.

Oh, and then the island disappeared.. and the copter crash... ironic maybe.. they tried to get away and crashed.. again.. and when the boat found them and there was name Widmore spoken.. I was thinking, another irony - they are found by the man the least want.. but when it was Penny.. oh.. it was great feeling.. but I was thinking all the time.. Desmond and Frank are still with those who survive.. what will happen with them.. But I was glad to hear nothing bad happened - only good. (oh.. but the moment when Desmond was taken from the water after the crash.. oh.. I was quite sure this is it for him)

And the ending.. I am still not getting that coffin thing.. but I most say - I do not care at the moment.. We have gotten some answers.. a lot of things going on.. and I somehow even feel.. I am so overwhelmed with them all.
  • Clearly the best series ever on television!!!

This show is absolutely amazing. All the award winning components of great TV are present--from the acting to the writing. So many of our questions got answered in this episode, along with so many other questions stirring in our heads. That is what makes this series so spectacular. Even after four seasons LOST still keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. Viewers' minds scurry through memories to try to figure out what each scene really means. I can not remember a show ever keeping me so engaged and perplexed. This is PURE ENTERTAINMENT on so many levels. I can't wait until season five!
  • How this episode played out, and the questions that were raised in my head afterwards made this 3 part finale yet again another favorite.

So we got questions roaming around the forums as you may know about what happened to the island and what happened to those that were still on the island. Jack obviously has suffered from exactly what Locke told him would happen. Yet again that damn smoke monster I have yet to figure out what it is, but I do know that Keamy and his men got theirselves handed to when that thing unleashed upon them in that earlier episode. So where is Faraday and those on that small boat at now? Did they get ported with the island too? Also did Ben get ported not only with the island but also back to common land as we saw earlier when he awoke in the middle of the desert with a cut on his arm and in that jacket that he wore while turning the island, although we were not aware of why he was wearing such things out in the desert when that episode was aired. Anyways this episode was a real thrill to watch and how it played out was very well done in my point of view. And the Lost trademark for endings is that it leaves you with more questions than answers that we all debate about but they end up becoming something entirely different when the season starts back up again. So now for speculation, I'd say that the island has been moved ahead of time, some of the people left on it might have seen terrible fates like Locke discussed with Jack, Jack with the help of Ben will get all that left to agree somehow to go back and then all sorts of heck will happen from there. I really cant say what will become of Locke once he is returned there besides either he will come back to life somehow or join the ranks of Christian & Jacob.
< 1 2