Lost

There's No Place Like Home (3)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 29, 2008 on ABC

• Part 3 delivers the woah-s.

I gotta admit to you, the whole island moving sequence was more fitting into Alias than Lost with the frozen enviorment, ancient writings, and island teleportation.

But in Lost, it's not about the actual happening, but rather the consequences of it. Now that we have all the knowledge about the escape, it's easy to understand the actions of the O6.

Now this episode does a mighty fine job with explaining the rescue, and it was pretty jam packed too. Sometimes emotional(Jin, Sawyer), sometimes action packed(the freighter blowing up, island disappearing, helicopter going down), and sometimes really bizarre. Christian showing up for Michael in the last moment? Wow.

That being said, another blah thing(for me) was the death of Michael. I understand he accomplished his mission, but it just kinda sucks that he died right when he came back and redeemed himself. Of course.. redemption is a recurring theme of the show, but I really hated seeing Michael go.

Now, the big twist, cliffhanger, or whatever you want to call it... simply wasn't there, but guess what, not a problem!! I thought the episode's conclusion arc was perfect this way. The conversation between Ben and Jack at the end pretty much sets up season 5. O6 returning on the island, because something's horrible going on there.

The big reveal... I called it in the S3 finale. After the Jack-Locke dialouge at the beginning of the episode I got confirmation. So I wasn't entirely shocked. However, let me say to you that it was still amazing. The way it was revealed - woah.

Another whoa moment was Penny and Desmond finally getting together. I shed some tears, I have to admit. And seeing Henrik(guy from arctic station in season 2 finale) again was a nice touch.

Another whoa moment was Sun's and Widmore's meeting. Would be interesting to see Sun as a villain... but of course this might just be a trick.

Overall, this is just my first impressions-thing, not an in depth review. My opinion on the episode as "just" an episode: amazing. As a finale: satisfying. It definitely was the weakest one out of the 4, but still incredible, definitely the best finale of the year.
  • Oceanic six are rescued by Penny's boat and her and Desmond are FINALLY reunited (thank God!). Jack gets them to lie about the survivors in response to Locke's final words pleading for him to do so. Locke is dead in a flash forward and has a new name.

Why lie to protect the survivors left on the island? Protect them from what? The only threat to them (widmore)already knows they're lying and the island has been moved so now noone else can find it except maybe Ben and he too knows they're lying.

I think Locke failed as "leader" and was ousted in a revolt. He blames Jack and the others leaving for destiny not being correctly fullfilled and thus contacts them (and/or the island contacts them) in an attempt to bring them back to "correct things". The remainders dont want him back (claire-"dont you dare bring him back") and will have a chilly reception for anyone returning.

BTW I think there will be survivors of the frieghter explosion, maybe Sun and Michael among others, who will not be "on board" with the others who dont want the six returning.

Gonna be awesome.
  • Clearly the best series ever on television!!!

This show is absolutely amazing. All the award winning components of great TV are present--from the acting to the writing. So many of our questions got answered in this episode, along with so many other questions stirring in our heads. That is what makes this series so spectacular. Even after four seasons LOST still keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. Viewers' minds scurry through memories to try to figure out what each scene really means. I can not remember a show ever keeping me so engaged and perplexed. This is PURE ENTERTAINMENT on so many levels. I can't wait until season five!
  • I feel under-whelmed…and I don't really know why.

An island moved, spirits appeared before people, and Ben apparently time traveled across the world. But oddly enough, I was fine with all of those developments. In fact, I've come to accept them all as part of the Lost mythology over the last four years. So why then do I feel so indifferent about this episode?

Maybe it was the death of Michael. There's was huge hype last summer when Harold Perrineau was coming back to reprise the role. But then Michael came back and…nothing. His whole purpose in returning seemed to amount to a whole load of nothing. It seemed like a waste. It seemed like the producers only brought him back because so many fans were asking "What happened to Michael and Walt!?" And they were like…"Ok! Fine! Let's bring him back! How do we insert him into the story?" Granted, the way Michael died, with Christian appearing before him, was really cool. But Michael's run on the fourth season was just kind of lackluster...and that's just a shame. Leaves kind of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Maybe it was Jin's death. I mean, even Michael got a better send off then him. Hell! Even Nikki and Paulo got a better send off then him! Four years investment into his character and…nothing. No music or emotional scene like we got with Charlie, no cool lines like we got with Michael…just an explosion. Now, there's still speculation that Jin could be alive. After all, I believe Faraday was driving the Zodiac towards the wreckage when the freighter exploded. So…maybe Jin's alive? I certainly hope so. Or else that's a very insignificant death for a character who all in all seems to have been very insignificant to the overall scheme of Lost.

Maybe it was the fact that everyone survived the helicopter crash, including the baby! I mean, if everyone was intended to survive they could have at least made the helicopter crash look less violent. But the helicopter crash – in all its crappy CGI glory – looked absolutely brutal! And nobody was even injured….or bleeding! I don't know…I mean, I realize that earlier this season a loaded gun couldn't even shoot Michael. And perhaps this is what happened here…the island refused to allow the Oceanic Six to die. That would all match up, but still…kind of an eye roller.

Maybe it was at the beginning of the episode when Keamy was shot in the back by Richard. Keamy rolled over and all the others stood around his "corpse." Now I knew Keamy was still alive, I knew his dead man's trigger storyline still needed to conclude… but I couldn't help but be bothered by the fact that nobody shot him in the head! It seemed like the obvious thing to do in that moment! Even though I knew this couldn't happen for the sake of the story, this really bothered me. My only explanation for this moment is that Ben didn't want Keamy to be killed at this moment. After all, he did seem to be expecting Keamy later on in the episode while in the Orchid station. But the logistics of such a maneuver makes no sense! If Ben wanted to kill Keamy why didn't he just do it while he was incapacitated!? It's not like Ben really savored his death when he killed him later on! I understand that this is a HUGE nit-pick on my part, and that the way the story unfolded occurred primarily for dramatic effect…but I think the writing could have been less sloppy. That's just me.

Maybe it was the fact that Locke actually shook Ben's hand. This is more of a peeve then anything…but come on! The guy just killed everybody on the freighter, including, quite possibly, your friends…and you shake his hand! I guess I can just chalk this all up to the weakness that Locke's character has shown throughout the series, but still…annoying.

By now you probably think I hated the episode, but I didn't (I did give it an 8.0 after all). Actually, I quite liked most of it. Everything except the aforementioned five things really held it together. Locke in the casket was an absolute mind blower, Sayid versus Keamy was probably one of the best TV (or movie for that matter) fights I've seen in a while, and Desmond and Frank getting off the island as well was a pleasant surprise. I'm still going to have to come to terms with all the islands "spiritual rules," (Whoever moves the island must leave; Everyone – the Oceanic Six plus Locke's corpse – must go back) but I'm sure those will all register over the next nine months. All in all, the season four finale felt a lot like the season two finale (I do realize that a giant "glow" engulfs the island in both episodes…perhaps that has something to do with it?), in that both felt kind of under-whelming…at least in my opinion. I'm not sure why, but either way I'm still anticipating season five.

I really want to see what Sawyer, Locke, Juliet, Miles, and Charlotte did over the last three years. Because I'm ass-uming that's what season five will be about: Flashbacks of what happened over the three years on the island, and flash-forwards of Jack trying to convince the rest of the Oceanic Six to return. Can't wait.
  • Great, but could have been even better

hmmmmm...

On one hand, it was a damn fine two hours of Lost.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

I'm beginning to rethink my feelings about the flashforwards. Don't get me wrong, they brought a whole new element to the show, but it basically sucked almost all the suspense out of the finale. Aside from a few details, we knew the fate of almost every character involved. Lost's biggest strength (and to some its biggest weakness) is keeping the audience in the dark; we have no idea what could happen at any second. It does right what the Blair Witch project excelled at: letting our minds fill in what our eyes couldn't see. But after a season of finding out where most of the main characters end up, we lose that uncertainty. We don't know exactly how things will happen, but we're not suprised when they do. When people died and freighters blew up, it was definitely dramatic, but... well, we knew it was coming. It's sort of like The Sixth Sense: everyone who saw it in theaters after the first couple of days knew that Bruce Willis was a ghost. That doesn't mean the ending was badly crafted, but it loses its impact with the audience.

Spoilers Ahoy!

The first hour was definitely the better of the two. Its momentum was on par with last season's finale: things were happening, and they were happening fast. Bunnies were traveling through time, there was enough C-4 on the boat to blow up an aircraft carrier, and Keamy was stabbed in the throat. The latter of these events was followed by Ben's simplest yet most awesome line to date: "So?"

The second hour seemed more concerned with connecting the dots between the island and the flashforwards than caring about how well it did it. Every major event had an accompanying anticlimax. The freighter is about to blow up, people are scurrying for lifevests, and then out of nowhere we're belowdeck with Michael and Christian Shepard saying "You can go now." Boom, the freighter's gone, but we've lost all of our excitement for the moment. Sun was crying, but we're not sure how to feel: Jin is dead, but wasn't the explosion what Michael wanted? Ben is about to move the island, but first he has to move some of the metal objects out of the way, walk through an icy tunnel, fall down a ladder, light a lantern, then spend an entire minute pushing a Frozen Donkey Wheel (though I guess it would have to take that long to turn; islands are heavy, after all). Then we spend another 30 seconds watching the sky turn white. After all this, I was just waiting for the island to move, already. What was the payoff? A splash. I was expecting something bigger after a three-episode buildup. I almost wonder if the two halves had different directors; things in the second half seemed to lack that usual Lost spark.

In retrospect, I guess there was no other way things could have gone down. If you set up a chain of dominos a certain way, that's the way they're going to fall. Maybe it's just that I've gotten used to Lost keeping me in the dark. As we learn more about the world surrounding the show, Lost loses its sense of mystery; without its sense of mystery (and without the island, which seems to no longer be the central setting for the show), what makes Lost different from any other drama on television?

But I think I'm looking at the show from a very negative standpoint. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse definitely have a plan for the rest of Lost's run, and we have every right to trust them. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this episode; I suppose I was just unfairly expecting it to be as phenomenal as last season's finale. One thing's for sure: I'll definitely be tuning in next year to see the best show on television continue.
  • After the episode was over, I needed an Advil because my head was spinning from collecting my thoughts of everything that had happened within the past hour.

The three hours I watched of Lost on May 29 were some of the most intense hours of my life. Let me just say, everything was there: It was emotional, it was full of surprises, it was action-packed, it was revealing, it was funny, it was... exactly what Lost should be. I cried. I really did. Watching the freighter blow up and kill everybody on it did me in -- especially watching Sun's traumatic reaction to seeing Jin die (kudos to Yunjin Kim for a noteworthy acting moment). And of course, when Christian showed up right before... creepy! Let's just say I thought Michael Emerson was doing his finest work in this episode. Emerson is and has always been tremendous as Ben, but No Place Like Home was tops. He's so mysterious, so scary... such a perfect villain. And the other 3 best moments of the episode? 1) Sawyer's heroic leap into the ocean from the helicopter. Ok, I do NOT support Kate and Sawyer. I'm a die-hard Kate and Jack fan, but when he took off and jumped into the water, I was applauding. Seriously. My equally impressed couch-mate stared at me. 2) Desmond and Penny's reuniting!!! I'll just leave it at that. If you weren't touched, you aren't human. 3) The arrival at Membata. They were clearly so happy, but showing it in a very Lost-esque style, with no jumping up and down. I couldn't have imagined the scene any other way.

Now I can only wait for next fall!!! I might kill myself waiting six months, but at least I have the comfort that we DID find out who was in the coffin after all that build-up. (I was terrified we weren't going to.) Oh my God, it's Locke! Now the question is... how did he get there? Dum dum dum!
  • Meet Jeremy Bentham

It is truly incredible to see how Lost has come from being a show about a group of people trapped on a mysterious and deserted island to a science fiction drama that rivals similar shows such as Twin Peaks or The X-Files. I am calling this episode a pilot because it essentially introduces what the show will look like next season. That is the Oceanic Six with Ben and John Locke who is the deceased person in the coffin named Jeremy Bentham will have to find some way to work together so they can return to the island and save it.
  • Action, mystery and a lot of events... all in this episode

When I was writing review for part 2, I realized that part 2 and 3 are so much connected.. it is almost hard separate them.. but as I tried I realized part 2 works mostly for setting up the events for this episode - and for that, we have almost no time wasting. From the first seconds, we have action...

The boat and the bomb. The way the try to solve it and how it ends. Michael's last minutes where rather interesting and I really jumped off my seat when Christian appeared.. It was unexpected.. and the way Jin died... (if he died?) it was rather not so great as there was nothing glorious. Maybe they wanted to change their usual style giving chars a very heroic deaths.. Anyway.. on the Dharma station.. time traveling bunnies and all that.. and then Ben.. if we would not know that he still be around thanks to flashfowards it could be said - another char killed off.. or something like that as he was somehow transformed into very heroic person and those last moment he add in this episode, moving that thing.. and he and Lock before he went.. he was a totally another person than before.. and a char I could like.

And Locke.. I liked this turn with his char - he, now being a leader of the Others.. that was something i was never thinking and I am sure it is going to be very interesting storyline.

Oh, and then the island disappeared.. and the copter crash... ironic maybe.. they tried to get away and crashed.. again.. and when the boat found them and there was name Widmore spoken.. I was thinking, another irony - they are found by the man the least want.. but when it was Penny.. oh.. it was great feeling.. but I was thinking all the time.. Desmond and Frank are still with those who survive.. what will happen with them.. But I was glad to hear nothing bad happened - only good. (oh.. but the moment when Desmond was taken from the water after the crash.. oh.. I was quite sure this is it for him)

And the ending.. I am still not getting that coffin thing.. but I most say - I do not care at the moment.. We have gotten some answers.. a lot of things going on.. and I somehow even feel.. I am so overwhelmed with them all.
  • I'm not going to review Part 2 because frankly Part 3 was the best part with most of the action!

As the face-off between the survivors and the freighter people continues, the Oceanic Six find themselves closer to rescue and rescued they are - by Penny! Penny and Desmond are finally reunited...Hold up, I've skipped near the end. Lets rewind a couple hours - real time!

Continuing from Season 3's finale, this feature length episode was absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, a fantastic season finale. I was literally biting my nails through the whole episode. It was nerve-wracking, provided comedy when needed, answers, questions and I always love a good explosion! I was saddened by the death of a good character and felt no emotion for the other two main ones. Walt is huge now!! Anyway, the mystery of the person in the coffin is - Jeremy Bentham but why the hell is John Locke, yes John Locke being referred to as Jeremy Bentham and why the hell do the Oceanic Six have to return to the island? These questions will play on my mind until February. And the moving the island thing was brilliant and the white light effect grom the Season 2 finale was brought back, eh? Come to think of it, the explosion on the boat was like the explosion in the also feature length Season 1 finale! Hmm...the last shot of Locke in the coffin was a dramatic twist and the brief appearance of Claire raises so many questions...
  • Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery.

Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been about answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery, with characters that (mostly) don't change, and without the ability to fill two good hours of television.
    The weaker moments:
    * Jack waits until after the opening sequence to remember he doesn't care about Locke.
    * Most boring bomb ever.
    * Keamy's alive, Sawyer's alive, gimme a break.
    * Lock gushes about Ben killing everyone on the ship, but then has a heart-breaking farewell moment with him.
    * What probably bugged me the most: So that's the reason the Oceanic Six lied? This is so lame. What did you think was going to happen to you? To the people on the Island? Maybe you'd become public figures who no one can touch, and certainly the search for the rest of the survivors would've created public interest. Even if this isn't Jack's real reason and he's channeling Locke, why didn't any of the others object to this silliness? Why couldn't the producers see this for the unconvincing plot device it is?

What did work?
    * Sun.
    * The audience cheers as the former Iraqi soldier hits the former US commando. Very clever.
    * The people on the lifeboat are, essentially, archetypes (The doctor, the pregnant woman, the pilot, and so on). This is essentially a reference to the Lifeboat dilemma (look it up). I liked that everyone survives eventually - I kept waiting for Lapidus to trip on a banana and break something.

(Translated from my post in Hebrew at tve.co.il)
  • jeremy bentham!

i have to admit i was completely lost regarding jeremy bentham. i tried to recall if the name was ever mentioned during the show before but i was sure it wasn't. then they mentioned "he changed his name", that's when i knew it had to be someone we already know... never suspected to be who it turned out to be.

excellent move by sawyer taking a dip to lighten the weight, it was totally expected from him! now we know when did he ask kate to keep the promise, but we still don't know what it is. can't imagine the swim he took to get to the island though.

i didn't like two scenes, the freighter blowing up seemed a bit too fake to me and when the chopper went down, i think they went too far, specially with aaron aboard. but, aaron is the miracle baby ;)

seeing ben getting ready to move the island wearing the same jacket he wore on the episode where he was on a desert and killed two soldiers was awesome.

what's up with sun, first she turned against her father and now meeting with mr widmore, she seems so powerful. is jack the second person she blames for jin's death?

we also learned the flash forwards are 3 years ahead!

i really enjoyed this season, for was it lasted. i just hope the writers don't go to strike again so we can have a longer next season.

i'll try to catch the other 2 alternate endings as mentioned during commercials!

// the next morning, i was able to see the alternate endings. the first showed sawyer in the coffin and the second one desmond.

btw, i forgot to mention one of my favorite moments was when sayid came for hurley, he was playing chess and right before he was leaving he said: "sorry, your move mr eko"

i'd love to see mr eko back!
  • The season 4 finale has fundamentally changed the formula/foundations of Lost, more so than any other episode of the series. It will be curious to see where the writers will go. It is a gutsy move on their part, and I applaud them for it.

The beginning of the second half of the season four finale picks up with Sayid visiting Hurley in the mental institution (again, a flashforward). It raises a few questions, who is spying on Hurley, and why? Are the other Oceanic survivors also being followed and spied on? The scene between Hurley and Sayid is a mixture of mystery and humor. The writers waste no time in revealing that Jeremy Bentham is a pseudonym for someone that Oceanic 6 are clearly familiar with. This is a welcome change of pace from the usual "Let's bring something up and explain it in three seasons." Of course, the fact that Jeremy Bentham belongs to a coffin from a season ago seems to contradict that.

To say that the beginning of the last half of the finale is exciting is an understatement, although that in itself is a bit inaccurate. The opening is charged with all sorts of emotion. There is certainly a great deal of emotion present as Jin and Sun are separated when Jin just barely misses the helicopter. The acting on the part of both Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim truly conveys the agony and terror of losing the people you love. After all they had survived and been through, from Sun's father to the plane crash to the island, they are now torn because Jin just missed the helicopter. It is a truly cruel thing to do on the part of the writers, but it works marvelously.

John Locke and Ben's goodbye is also a very touching ending to their relationship, for the time being anyway. What makes it so touching is that for the first time since Ben's introduction to the show, we genuinely feel as though he is being completely sincere with John. The fact that such a sly character is being so sincere is satisfying in and of itself. The fact that John shakes his hand solidifies it as an excellent scene, though a bit rushed in some respects. Ben almost seems to be punishing himself for all his evil deeds by being the one who moves the island. In doing so he will never be able to return to it.

A weak point in the episode is the actual moving of the island, or rather, the helicopter crew's reaction to the island disappearing before their eyes. There is something about the acting and the direction of the scene that simply does not convey the shock of witnessing such a...miraculous, if you will, event. There is no real shocked moment of silence, and the words that are spoken hardly convey genuine shock. It should be interesting, however, to see where and when the Island moved, and how exactly that happened, though I'm not sure I'm a fan of the random underground frozen gear.

Conversely, there is a great moment on the life raft (following the helicopter crash) where the survivors are found by a boat (belonging to Desmond's lover, Penny). Jack, realizing that Locke had been right, becomes persuaded that they must lie about everything that happened on the island. He is initially disbelieving that Locke actually moved the island, which provides some good comic relief from Hurley as he asks Jack if he missed the island disappearing before his eyes.

Nothing in the episode however comes close to the quality of one of the most surprising, genuinely satisfying, and heart warming moments in the season finale...the reunion of Desmond and Penny. What makes their stories on the show and this reunion so great is that these are two very rare characters who are genuinely and completely good people in their hearts. They are victims of their fates, and it is almost an injustice that they were separated. All this makes their reunion a highlight of the episode. As the Oceanic Six leave on their fake journey, there is another touching moment where Jack and Desmond say goodbye. Jack takes Desmond's line from their first meeting in the stadium, telling him that he will see him "in another life." It is one line that brings about a nice sense of closure to their relationship. As with all things Lost, for the time being anyway.

The show ends with Jack breaking into the funeral parlor for the mysterious coffin that everyone had wondered about for a season. The cinematography, direction, and technical aspects lend to a chilling atmosphere in this scene. Before we are even shown who Jeremy Bentham really is, Ben startles Jack, and for a second in there, his voice is actually very much like Locke's. Obviously, Bentham is John Locke. He had visited and told Jack (among others) that bad things had happened since he left, that it was Jack's fault, and that the only way to fix things would be to take EVERYONE who left the island, back to the island, even John Locke's body. Kudos should be given to the writers for not waiting until next century to reveal actually who is in the coffin.

The end reveal of John Locke in the coffin raises very many questions...that will all I hope be answered with the next season. It is a compelling cliff-hanger and it is a powerful end to the best season of Lost since season one.

The finale of season 4 has fundamentally changed the formula and foundations of Lost, more so than any other episode of the series. It will be interesting to see how this will turn out. It is a gutsy move on the part of the writers, and I applaud them for it. Now, why did Coffin Locke not have a scar on his eye?
  • On par with last year's knockout!!

Season 4's finale was all we could have hoped for and more. It did not alter the LOST universe like Season 3's finale, but it may have been more informative and more enjoyable. To keep this show fresh, the writers have done an amazing job of moving the story forward by shying away from repeating themselves in the overall feel and style of the show. Season 4 may well be the best of the lot so far. It proved that something good may have come as a result of the writer's strike after all, LOST found itself and we are all the better for it!
  • Review.

There were a couple of things in this episode that I didn't like, but at the same time there were a whole lot of things that I did like. I needed to view the finale without any commercials before I could give the show the ratings that it deserved. After watching it Thursday Night I had this episode at about a 9.5, but after a rewatch I have in fact bumped it up to a ten. Let's start with the things I liked...

They didn't do it with the flashes. All of them were to the point and needed for the storyline. At first I didn't like that the only thing going on in the flashes was this mysterious "Jeremy Bentham" character, but to be honest that was the only thing all of us really cared about. Part 1 showed us the coming home parties and reunions for our survivors, whereas this episode really highlighted this character in the casket. I thought all of the flashes were very well done and if we had had that little extra 2 minute conversation with Jack and Kate last season we wouldn't have had to much to talk about. Other then who Bentham was. Loved seeing Sayid and Hurleys little scene together and Sun has one of the more intriguing life after islands I think. She didn't really get anything in her episode because of the jedi mind trick they attempted to play on us, but her character among all of the oceanic survivors is the one that has got me thinking right now as to what her overall gameplan is. Loved the final scene with Ben showing up right at the end. Once Sayid started talking about Bentham I knew it wasn't Ben, but it put those random thoughts to bed quick. Locke being in the casket - Not a big fan of that right now, but I wasn't a big fan of the flash-forwards at the end of last season either. This is a long term "They have to tell it right for me to be happy" and I hope that they do that. Flash-Forward part of the finale --> A+

A whole lot happening on the island as well. The first beginning portion was some intense stuff. Sayid versus Keamy (Martin doesn't fit him well) was a great fight scene, best in the history of the show. Loved the Jack / Locke reunion scene as well. They hadn't been together all season long and it was interesting to watch Locke beg Jack to stay, kind of ironic considering he ends up dead because Jack did in fact leave. The Orchid was fun, they didn't do much with it but I didn't really expect them too. I wonder if it will play any part in the future now that Ben has ruined the machine it looks like. I didn't mind Keamy coming back to life, it did at least make sense with the body armor. The entire rescue scene was done amazingly. Jacks minute long speech convincing them that they had to lie was great and very well done. Penny and Desmond = I love this show. They need a happy ever ending, even though Ben's little plan might cause me some unhappy times down the road. But for right now, as much as I love Desmond and his character, him and Penny can sail around forever for all I care.

Onto the things I didn't like. Micheal and Jin dying. Jin I could see, because it has turned Sun into a very interesting character and she wasn't (to me) beforehand. Micheal's comeback is pointless. Walt is now fatherless and motherless, which kind of sucks. He is having a bad year. With a dwindling cast of island characters (Juliet, Sawyer, Miles, Charlotte, Locke, Richard, and hopefully Daniel) Jin and Micheal needed to find a way back to the island and it didn't happen. I'm very upset about his quick exit, I was really hoping that he would stay for another season or so. Like I said, Jin being dead does not phase me at all. Michael is a huge mistake. Desmond, Jin, and Michael scenes on the freighter were also kind of "okay" scenes, nothing there stood out as amazing. Frozen Donkey Wheel = A Frozen Wheel. Wow Damon and Carlton. Just wow. I'll let this slide, but I think they could have come up with a more epic way to move the island. Overall, I think this finale is the third best. Couple of things I didn't like, but am willing to forgive the writers for. Everything about this show is going to be heavily scrutinized with the new flash-forward format. Mistakes stick out like sore thumbs now then they ever did, but for the most part this was a very well done finale and it does a great job finishing off my favorite season of the show to date.
  • Well, the answers are here, but in the process, what we enjoy about Lost may be gone forever.

Lost walked what was a very well known dead end for three years. Twin Peaks, Dinasty or The X Files had been there before, and Lost was very self-consciously trying to avoid the same pitfalls.

I now wonder if it's worth it. The three parter here doesn't feel like a season finale, but a series finale itself. The switch from questions to answers mode is made, but ending the season on such a revelatory note creates the feeling that everything has been said and done. We might not know who Jacob is or what happened to "Jeremy Bentham" up until his death, but we get closure for pretty much every character. They are redefined in a way that allows people's imaginations to develop further, because there's nothing we know is going to happen. We are told the Oceanic Six will attempt to return to the island, but we don't know that they will actually make it there so, in fact, if no other Lost episode was ever produced, this show would have ended with as much closure as The X Files did.

As for the episodes themselves, they made a surprisingly Hollywood turn from hiding what's going on to showing it. No longer strange effects are hidden from sight. Ships blow up, islands disappear leving behind a water ripple... Overall, it's not quite as effective or suspenseful as the alternative. But, I guess, that's what endings are all about.

So that's the reasoning behind the score up there. It's a somewhat decent ending for Lost, but it's a season finale that actually diminishes my desire and expectations for the last two seasons.

I won't be counting the days for the show's return, this time but, to its credit, I won't because I'm reasonably satisfied already.
  • Not the best finale in my opinion, but definitely has left me anticipating more in Season 5.

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

How sad it was to watch Sun screaming for the helicopter to go back and pick up Jin. And oh wow, Christian Shepard appearing in front of Michael just as the freighter was about to blow up. If I were Sun, I'd freakin' kick Jack off the chopper. What do you mean it's okay? The dirty work employee of her father's company, the love of her life and the father of her child just died. Jeez. If I was flash-forward Sun, I'd become a cold-blooded-sounding woman as well.

The Orchid is creepier than any other station so far, and it certainly brought me back to the days of The Swan with Locke and Kate first staring down the hole into the hatch. The frozen cave Ben went into to turn the thingy was awesome, although a little a bit too fake for me.

I'm sure Kate's little dream-visit from Claire means much, but I doubt that it does. And when the chopper really did run out of fuel, I really freaked out. But no, they were all alive. Imagine if Desmond had really drowned. How sad that would be for Penny to have them bring her Desmond's corpse. It's a good deal that Frank and Desmond stayed on Penny's boat and the Oceanic 6 as we know them drifted on to some foreign beach.

I think it's a tragic thing, but a real great thing that these people are all brought closer together by disaster. Hurley, Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Sayid are totally different people, yet they know each other so well and trust each so much at this point, that it's touching.

Ben confronting Jack at the funeral parlor was terribly scary. The fact that Sun, Hurley, Sayid and Kate were all not convinced that they should go with Jack back to the island looked hard to swallow. I'm excited to see if and how they manage it. Ben's ideas are always interesting.

But not more interesting than the fact that Locke's corpse must return with them.

So. Sawyer, Juliet, Charlotte, Rose, Bernard and Miles are all still on the beach. Daniel is somewhere out at sea. Locke is leader of Richard and the Others. Claire is with Jacob. Kate, Sayid, Sun and Hurley all seem to be having their own special issues post-island. And Ben and Jack, working together?

Can't wait for season 5. Makes me so proud to have been a fan since the pilot. :)

Oh and WOW, almost forgot to mention the island disappearing. WHAT a trick that was. I really, really wanna see how the writers explain it in the coming seasons.
  • This was just amazing!

I like this finale more then any of the others they have had. It revealed a lot a kept some stuff sercert. We see how some people get killed and other survive, and it makes you think if some people are even dead. Though the episode you wounder who's in the casket, I had a felling from the beging that Lock was in there. They he commited suscide, but I think he had to come back home to get the O6 and as soon as he got home he became parlized again and couldn't return. So he knew the only way to go back and bring the others was to kill himself and have them return him. Thats what I think will see I guess next season.
  • Speechless

The Lost creators have delivered the goods again and then some. Watching this show is akin to a movie and the season finale certainly didn't disappoint. We now know how they left the island but for each question answered another one is raised. Who really is Christian? Is Locke really dead? What happened to Claire? The painful fact we now have to wait for Season 5 is a testament to the quality of this show and its strength showing believable flawed human beings in extraordinary circumstances. Now I've seen the episode I am at a total loss what to watch next. Battlestar and Heroes although promising just cannot compete with the level of excitement Lost generates. The only flaw in this episode I felt was guessing who Jeremy was before the coffin was shown but apart from that these 2 episodes were sheer brilliance.
  • A Lost season finale, not surprisingly it was very good!

The previous episode ended with several major cliff-hangers to be resolved in the finale. Because of that and the knowledge of who the Oceanic Six were this episode had a clear focus and storyline from the start and I was just thankful to be along for the ride. Having a clear idea of how things were going to end actually made it more intriguing rather than less as the question was how do only these six get of the island. This season has been very good at not beating about the bush when it has come to major storylines, unlike some previous seasons. So the fact that how they got off the island is fully wrapped up in this double episode was particularly satisfying.

Despite that I wasn't too impressed with the way the episode started. Firstly the "Previously on Lost" sequence seemed a bit poor. Normally it's well edited with a great soundtrack to accompany it, but here it felt a bit flat. Although as not really part of the episode, that's a minor quibble. The episode starting right where last season's finale ended was something I wasn't too fond of. It was a fair enough way to kick off the finale, but going back and adding to that scene felt a bit cheap to me. It was such an iconic scene that trying to milk off it seemed unnecessary and a bit poorly done. I'd have much rather if Jack and Kate's conversation took place somewhere else not right there by the airport.

The rest of the flash-forwards were great though. Where part one had shown the Six's lives within the first few months back in the real world, this episode delved deeper into what they're all doing three years on. Each of them got an appropriate scene and each of them were great. Hurley got a visit from an old (and now quite tall) face. If I hadn't noticed Walt's name in the opening titles then it might have been a bit more surprising, but it was still great to see him back on the show. The flash-forwards have conveniently allowed for him to play his actual age which meant that he didn't need to be recast, a very good thing as Malcolm David Kelley is such a good young actor. His scene with Hurley was mainly to set the stage for the rest of the episode but I'm glad Walt's still part of the show as there's a lot more to find out about him.

Another name I couldn't help recognising in the opening titles was Jim Robinson's (Neighbours joke) AKA Charles Widmore. I assumed that his scene would be with Ben, but instead he shared the screen with Sun. In the last few years she's clearly become an established business woman within her father's company and it would appear that she wants revenge on Ben. Sayid getting Hurley out of the mental home was also cool, complete with an invisible special guest. Just Hurley mentioning Mr. Eko's name was enough to give me goosebumps, and even though it's unlikely we'll see him again the fact that he's still acknowledged on the show is a very good thing. Kate also had an unexpected visitor, but this time we could see them and it was in a dream. Claire's warning about Aaron seemed to me more of an excuse to get her into the episode for good measure than anything else but it was a nice little scene nonetheless.

Each of the flash-forwards did two things. The first was to show a part of the characters' lives and where they are now and the second seemed to be set-up for season 5. Although there are still a lot of major questions at the episode's end the sections in the future work well as specifically showing clear direction as to what will happen on the show next year. And so with that onto the core of the episode, which was set on (and around) the island.

The episode started with the cast members all spread around the place. We started with Jack and Sawyer on their way to rescue Hurley which resulted in Jack having another talk with Locke. It wasn't quite the same as the "Man of Science, Man of Faith" conversation (which is actually referenced) but it reminded the viewers of how different these two characters' perspectives are. We were then shown Ben's predicament with the mercenaries and treated to a superb action sequence! We were led to believe that the Others lost ten of their best last season but it would seem that the ones left aren't bad either! The way they took out the mercenaries was very well done and incorporated various different tricks they've used throughout the series including being stealthy, breaking necks and the shocking devices. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better Sayid jumps out at Keamy and they have a superb fight together. It was well choreographed and yet still believable as it didn't go over the top. Sayid rarely gets to show off his fighting skills so it was great to see him go at it here. Unfortunately he didn't win the fight himself and needed Richard to save him, but it was still awesome all round!

On the freighter Desmond, Michael and Jin were desperately trying to find a way to disarm the C4 in the ship's radio room. A quick line from Desmond about bomb disposal training in the army was enough to establish that he might just find a way to stop it. There was also a lot of effort put into why they couldn't disarm the bomb due to the many triggers. Most TV shows would've just pointed at the bomb and said "we're screwed" but Lost went out of its way to try to clearly explain why the characters were screwed. It prevented the characters from seeming silly for just staring at the bomb as well as why they didn't just run for it. I've only really got Lost's word (and Metal Gear Solid 2) to go on that Michael's attempt to stop the bomb was reasonable. But it gave him a strong purpose in the episode as well as a chance at his redemption.

After being rescued from the mercenaries Ben returns to the Orchid station to find Locke unable to get in it. His line about Locke not being able to find the right flowers was nice and it was good that there could still be a little humour in the episode considering everything that was going on. The Orchid station itself was very reminiscent of the Swan (that was the one with the button in, yeah?) and we got to see another orientation film. We've learned a lot about the Dharma Initiative but it's always great to see more of them and I still want to find out how Marvin Candle/ Mark Wickman/ Edgar Haliwax lost his arm. With time-travel an established part of Lost's mythology now there's some legitimacy behind Ben moving the island, as well as time-travelling bunnies. Locke's face while watching the video telling him not to put metallic items in the vault as Ben was doing just that was priceless, but we all new that Ben new what he was doing.

By this point Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sayid and Sawyer were on the chopper with Frank heading for the freighter. Obviously this was very close to the final Oceanic Six to the point where I was terrified as to what might become of Sawyer. And sure enough one of the bullets had ruptured the helicopter's fuel tank and they weren't going to make it to the ship. It was obvious what Sawyer was going to do but I couldn't help yell "Sawyer, don't do it" just as he kissed Kate goodbye and jumped from the helicopter. This was a huge moment and an amazing self-sacrificing thing for Sawyer to do, although from his perspective he would've thought he'd just have to wait a bit longer to get on the ship.

As with the season 3 finale with a lot going on the episode ran the risk of seeming like several different shows that didn't go together, and thankfully like the season 3 finale they all came together brilliantly with each affecting the rest. Ben killing Keamy caused the bomb to arm just as the helicopter landed on the freighter thus heightening the episode's tension to boiling point. That the fate of each character was now so brilliantly intertwined it really linked everything together well. Now that a good number of main characters were on the freighter it was really edge of your seat stuff. I never realised how dramatic refuelling a helicopter could be but it was done superbly!

When the freighter blew up it did look incredibly visually impressive, but it was also my main gripe with the episode. As a good number of the survivors were on the freighter by this point you would've thought Jack would've done his best to try to save them. Just getting on the helicopter and leaving most of his friends to die seemed very out of character, even considering how futile the situation was. The destruction of the ship also felt like a cheap way to get rid of all the extras. As we didn't know any of the ones that died as viewers we won't be too bothered but I can't help but feel that the showrunners were just getting tired of paying forty odd folk to stand about every week. On top of that although we knew Jin was going to die and it was most likely going to be the bomb that killed him I feel that it could've been done better. Because he was near the edge of the ship there's an argument that he could've survived. Now whilst I think Jin's a great character and will be sorely missed I'll feel it as a bit of a cop out if he survived. I really would've preferred if they'd clearly established that the blast took him out by using a close up shot with a CGI flame or something. Although Jin's death may not have been perfect, Sun's reaction to it was. The entire cast of Lost is incredible, but she really gave it her all to convey her decimation after seeing Jin blown up.

Then there's Michael's death. This is something that's bothered me about the entire season; because of the characters being at various different areas on and around the island it has been difficult for each of them to get enough screen time. As a result all of the newcomers seem unlikeable as we know very little about them and even some of the older cast members haven't had a lot to do (like Claire). But when Harold Perrinau was signed up for season 4 a big deal was made about it which implied he'd be around for a while. Just bringing him in to kill him off in the way they did seemed pointless to me and I feel that they've completely wasted a good character and a great actor. Maybe if he'd only been brought back as a guest star rather than a regular would've been a better idea especially as he was only in about five of the thirteen episodes. That said his death was pretty cool, complete with Christian Sheppard turning up to tell him he could die now. Speaking of, after four seasons isn't it about time we got to properly see one of the apparitions appear as opposed to the cheap off-screen camera trick?

That was my only real issue with the episode, although I do want to mention that this is the first season that not each main character has had at least part of an episode focused on them. Neither Claire nor Sawyer got any flashbacks/forwards this year and while Claire could be overlooked considering how awesome Sawyer has been this year it annoys me somewhat. Although that's a seasonal complaint that can't really be blamed on one individual episode. And so back onto the good stuff. Now that Ben officially handed over his leadership to Locke he had only one duty left to fulfil for the island, which was to move it. When Locke first said this a couple of episodes back I thought it was ridiculous, but to the show's credit they pulled it off in a very convincing way. There was just enough techno-babble so that I could buy the logic behind it without them going too into it. But of course the best part was as Ben went down to move the island his clothing and gash on his arm seemed very familiar. I can't think of any time Lost has given the answer to a mystery before they've given the question. Ok, in fairness the question was really "how did Ben end up in the desert wearing a big jacket?" I really didn't think that answer would be given for a long time and so to see how he got there in the finale was beyond excellent. A very satisfying answer to what had seemed like a dodgy mystery and so I was extremely happy with that one. Again Michael Emerson was excellent as he started crying whilst turning the wheel knowing that it meant him leaving the island he loved. Superb stuff!

And of course something as big as moving the island was going to affect everyone, and none more than those on the helicopter. With the freighter destroyed they had no choice but to head back to the island and just as they did it vanished. Jack still refusing to believe what he just saw was almost comical, but it would be hard to justify how something like that could be done and so his scepticism was totally believable. With nowhere to land the helicopter had to crash in the water but the catch was we knew everyone would survive. Well that is except Desmond and Frank. They played on this very well by having Desmond get a nasty bash on his head and not breathing. I think I might've cried if they did kill off Desmond, but fortunately common sense won out and he survived. What happened after that very nearly did make me cry, with tears of joy. (Although obviously not because I'm a guy and we don't cry!)

Rescue was one thing, but that it was Penny's boat was superb! Despite seeing her name in the opening titles I really didn't see that one coming! As soon as I heard the Portuguese accents (it was Portuguese wasn't it?) I couldn't help but think that maybe and then when we saw her it was awesome! Desmond and Penny had a reunion of sorts in "The Constant" but here it was for real and very, very emotional. An incredibly fitting end and excellent way for them to be rescued. The "One week later" bit seemed a bit weird considering that was about how long the fourth season seemed to cover, but I could buy it. Having the end so brilliantly tie into the flash-forwards was great and it really felt like disassembled parts of a picture coming together.

Of course it wasn't over yet, there was one more surprise in store for us: who was in the coffin. It seemed a little bit tacked on and didn't really work with the story but I'm not going to complain when we're given a reveal like that! It was obviously either Ben or Locke so as soon as Ben turned up behind Jack I knew who was in the coffin. Although it makes perfect sense and was played brilliantly, I feel that the reveal was held off a bit too long. If we'd seen Locke's face before hearing Ben's voice it might've worked better, but then again it did mean that the reveal got to be the last shot of the season which was appropriate.

So another season down and a superbly satisfying finale. The main questions raised in it aren't really to do with the show's mythology, but rather how will season 5 even work!? With all the different main characters all over the place now it'll be impossible to have episodes with everyone in (although in fairness this was the only one in season 4 with the whole main cast). Will the likes of Desmond or Claire be main characters next season or not? Did Daniel get transported with the island or is he stuck in the middle of the ocean? Guess we'll have to wait until the season 5 cast list is revealed to find out, but until then this great episode should tie us over. Although there wasn't quite a moment that was on par with the flash-forward reveal last year or the "I think I crashed your plane" the year before this was still an excellent overall episode. Lost has done it once again!
  • And now what ?

With this final episode, just one thing comes to my mind, and now what?? We will still be seeing the other people that staied in the island ? Why the hell they needed to stay there ? Why do the ones that left have to come back ?
    Why was Locke off the island ? What the hell is that island ? What is Jack's father connection to the island ?

To me this finale brought more questions than answers, like most of lost episodes, but i just think they should have answered more things about the island. So for me that was the down side of this episode.
  • Killing off all the original characters.

They're doing what they always do. I've been following it four years, but I think they lost me this time. They've killed literally 3/4 of the original characters by this point and I'm getting tired of seeing characters built up and then shot to pieces. It's unrealistic to kill so many people in the space of a few days on a plane wreck anyway. I'm not sure why there are so many who vote for this in the 10 range. I can see that, all things considered, separate from the rest of the series, it's a pretty good show, but to kill so many main characters detracts from the show and what has been built up; I'm sorry.
  • exciting, awesome, best show ever!

I loved this episode!! So exciting!!
    And I had some predictions half the way through it that were right!!
    I knew Penny's boat would appear!! I didn't think it would rescue the oceanic 6 + frank and desmond, but still, it showed up!!
    When Jack entered the funeral home for the second time I imediatly Locke crossed my mind! In the beginning of the episode I don't remember who sai that Jeremy had told them to lie, so indeed Locke!

Jin is dead! I hate when they kill characters!! I'm sad now (not a lot because Jin was barely showing up)
    Sawyer....what a man! He is the son-in-law my mother always asked! lol - He swan many and many kilometers in open sea wearing jeans and when arrived the island even mocked Juliet! He is awesome!
    Ben is my favorite character! He always have a plan! i wonder what he's trying to do in the 'future' ... Ohh and I was sure he wouldn't care about the people on the boat!
    It seems that Michael is finally dead, although Walt said he's alive! I mean, Christian (Jack's dad, right?) said: "You can go now Michael"

I can't belive they moved the island! I was hoping some cientific explanations, but everything is turning into magic! Well, we still have time but I guess it's all about faith and miracles (not a good answer for me)

Will they go back? How the hell Locke died? What are Jacob, Christina, Claire? Is Hurley really crazy or is he actually playing chess with Mr. Eko?? What Swayer whispered before he jumps? Did Dr. Halliwax live in The Orchid? (his name was written in Ben's coat when he starts to move the island)
    So many questions, no answers and a long long time to wait!
  • Awesome, Love this show! (Note I have reviewed part 2 and 3 the same.)

Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Sun, Aaron, Desmond and Frank Lapidus escape the Island, while Ben and Locke succeed in moving the Island. In flashforwards, the Oceanic Six and Walt react to visits from a man named Jeremy Bentham, who they seem to have some connection with. Oh my god, what can I say about this awesome episode? I mean come on. How good was this season finale, it is my favourite finale on Lost. All the exciting and nerve-wrecking things what happened in this episode. I hope Michael is still alive, I think he might be like Claire now. I felt sorry for Sun, I was nearly crying when Jin was shouting her to come back. How good was it when Ben moved the island. He is one of my favourite characters in this awesome season. I can't believe John is dead too, but I think when they all go back he will be alive again! Hopefully anyway. I can't wait for the next season now, eight months we have to wait I don't think I can wait that long. All in all Lost is the best show and season four final has been the best episode/finale I have ever seen in my life! Bring on season five!
  • The Oceanic 6 make it off the island, in a very last minute effort to get everyone of the island. Some maybe lost forever, and some stuck on the island, which Ben has successfully moved.

Wow...this may go down as the very best episode of LOST ever. The action, the drama, the gut-wrentching heartache of watching familiar characters lose their lives was too much to bear it was great. There were four stories here really. The first was og Locke and Ben and their last minute heroics to save the island. The time travel element returned and I have to admit that I am still confused, the island seems to be only a few minutes behind the rest of the world. Anyways here we have Locke with all these questions and Ben who is happy to point out how ridiculus his questions are. As he kept on puttign metal objects in the time machine, Locke was just puzzled on everything Ben was doing, which led to Ben killing Keamy despite the fact that it would detonate the explosives on the freighter and kill all onboard. Ben goes to move the island by entering the time chamber and the down a tube in which the tropical setting of the island was replaced by a cold snow covered climate. Why, I have to ask, where exactly did he go? It explains how he just landed in the desert ten months a head of time, but how?

The important things from this arc, is that Locke is now the head of the Others, and Ben can never return to the island.

Jack and the Oceanic Six escape, and the whole thing with the hellicopter running out of gas, and then the tank being shot at, it was very suspenseful. Then Sawyer, jumped off in order to keep the chopper in the air, why Hurley did not jump is not clear, but I feel like it redeemed Sawyer a bit, he tends to make these heroics in the finales. He whispered something into Kate's ear, kisses her and jumps to swim to shore, to find Juliet with a bottle of Dharma rum, as they have no chance now of making it off the island. Whether he chose to stay as Jack said to Kate is not clear, he chose to sacrifice himself, but did so believing he would be rescued later. When they found Penny's boat I was so happy, the reunion of Desmond and Penny was great, per Charlie's inquest she got a boat and headed for the island. Then the Six left, knowing they could never see Desmond and Penny, and Frank again. They then headed for Indonesia where they were eventually discovered and received to become the Oceanic Six.

The third story was that of Michael's who redeemed himself for betraying his friends to leave the island with Walt. He was sacrificed by Christian who said his debt had been filled. Who else thinks that Christian is like the host body for Jacob? Michael has been confirmed to definately be dead, not sure if that goes for Jin as well.

Now onto the craziest story of the episode, the tale of Jeremy Bentham. Jeremy went to visit Jack, Kate and Aaron, Hurley, and Walt, not sure if he visited Desmond, Sun, and Sayid, to inform them that they had to return to the island. This incident is what furthers Jack's downard spiral and the is the reason for his split from Kate and Aaron. Jeremy informed Walt that the Oceanic Six were all lying and that his father was left behind. Jeremy dies and when Jack learns of this he tries to kill himself, these are the events of the Season 3 finale. We pick up when Kate gets into her Volvo to return to Aaron, who misses Jack, she turns around to express her anger with Jack over the information Jeremy provided. Jack returns to the funeral home housing Jeremy's body and is surprised with a visit by Ben. Ben explains that all of them must return to the island, that Jack cannot do it alone, he must get all of the Six, and possibly Walt and Desmond to return to the island, as well as Jeremy Bentham, who is revealed to be John Locke.

In the meantime, Kate has a dream where Claire breaks into her house to visit Aaron and inform her that Aaron must not return to the island. Here are a few problems we will run into.

Kate is legally restricted to the state of California, the punishment for murdering her father, and will be hesistant to bring Aaron back as Claire has instructed her not to.

Sun has used her newly appointed power as Managing Director of her father's powerful Korean industrial company to contact Charles Widmore and strike a deal stating that they have common interests, mainly returning to the island.

Hurley has checked himself into a mental institution because he is being visited by those survivors who died on the island. Although Sayid breaks him out, but it is unclear if Hurley will be willing to return.

Walt is furious with the Oceanic Six for lying to everyone regarding the events of their crash and how they survived and escaped. And Desmond, who seemed to bid farewell to Jack and the others, planning to never see them again, had made it clear to Sayid on the freighter that he spent three years on the island and plans to never return again.

A lot to consider, and I cannot wait for Season 5, I think this finale capped of the season nicely, maybe not as powerful as last year's, it was so excitingly nerve-wracking.
  • Outstanding. It is amazing that they can continue to pull this off.

So, after all the hype I was worried about this one. After all, it is almost impossible to live up to the tremendous expectations that were built up over the course of the season.

Cheers:

- The action sequences were well-paced, appropriate, and kept things moving.
    - Anything with Desmond in it is going to be good, and they used him well here.
    - They did a good job of putting this season to rest, so it is clear that next season can start fresh.
    - There actually was a frozen donkey wheel (go figure!) and for the first time ever, I feel that the Dharma stuff is less interesting than the much older structures they apparently built the stations to study. This was an unexpected turn (for me, at least).

Jeers:

- Michael's ending felt very flat, particularly after all the marketing hype about bringing his character back. Sure, he did some good things, but he didn't get much credit for them.
    - Because of the flash-forwards, I'm starting to feel like I'm watching a repeat. They really need to be careful next season to keep things interesting. The main mystery can't be how does someone die (who you already know dies due to a flash forward).
    - Because of the writer's strike, the freighter folk didn't get enough exposition. I'm looking forward to that next season, particularly for the Miles character.

So, overall this was an outstanding ending to the season. My main concern really is with the next two seasons, as it will be difficult to keep things fresh and mysterious. It should be a wild ride!
  • Let's just say I love this episode. :]

Woah; so the Season 4 finale of LOST was unbelievably great. I think I loved about everything about it. So much action, drama, everything. I'm not gonna lie; I was so afraid Sawyer was going to die when he jumped out of the helicopter. But he's alive! Yay! :] However; Jin and Michael (along with others on the freighter) did die. But Jin is the only one I'm sad about. So Ben moved[?] the island. That was a pretty cool scene. Desmond and Penny reunited! That was so sweet. It turned out to be Locke (Jeremy Bentham) in the coffin. I have to say that I absolutely loved all the acting in the finale; but especially Ben's. Michael Emerson is one talented guy. Well there's so much more I could say; but I'll just stop here. Basically:: Finale = Amazing. :]
  • Three main issues arent convincing...

First, Why would Jack still disagree on the fact the Island has been moved! I mwan c'mon, he doesnt have to be this stubborn, everybody else onthe helicopter saw it dissapearing.

Second, why wouldnt anyone say the name of the dead Guy in the coffin (Locke)? Seems silly, especially when they say:
    "dont say his name..." is it a riddle?! I see it as a faut pas for the producers whi havent dissapoitned me until this one..

Third, Whats with Christian! is he an Angel?! PLS NOT or it would be so cheekly, then that guy that doesnt grow would be the devil..etc,.. i hope the producers prepared really amazing and unpredictable answers or it would be such a dissapointment from such a big hit show.
  • My part 2 and 3 are the same review though I gave the last hour a higher score.

I have to admit before finally sitting down and writing this review I had to re-watch the episode three times just to make sure my score and review wouldn't be biased due to them having Locke in the coffin (he is my favorite character after all). I felt this episode was very well written and I didn't feel like the episode dragged at any part at all. Although some questions were answered such how did the Oceanic Six make it to that island, would Desmond finally get to Penny, would the island get moved, who was in the coffin etc, some other questions were also created. Some of these new ones to me at least are what happened on the island once it was moved? What happened to Daniel Faraday and the people he had in the raft did they get moved with the island? Will Jack and Ben be able to co-exist and get everyone they need to get to the island? Will the island ever be found again etc. Besides the ending of this season I have to admit this was one of the better seasons of Lost. Now we have the long wait till season 5 :(
  • Only on Lost could you move a WHOLE ISLAND ... and not have the show's credibility shattered.

You have to admire the balls of a show like Lost. Every season finale finds a new way to rewrite the rules of conventional television, and yet never be considered to jump the shark. In the first season, they teased but did not reveal the hatch (which ended up backfiring when the hatch just turned out to be the entrance to a glorified computer lab). In the second season, the finale revolved around the romance of a guest star and a character who had just been introduced. And in the classic third finale, they actually transformed the entire premise of the show by introducing the narrative convention of flash-forwards.

The only problem with such audacity is that it gets harder and harder to top past performance with new ways to blow the audience's mind. So we arrive at the fourth season finale, which will suffer from inevitable comparisons to the third-season gamechanger. This time around they went for a 'shock' ending which answered an old question rather than introduce a new one. Not that this doesn't diminish from the impact of finding out who Jeremy Bentham is, but it's not quite as mind-turning as the last finale.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse themselves warned us in advance that this finale was more of a straightforward action-adventure narrative, and on this at least they did deliver. The classic Sayid-Keamy smackdown must surely go down as the most gripping fight this show has seen. We got the melodrama of Sawyer's last moments with Kate, the tension of Jin's and Michael's supposed deaths, and the tearful reunion (at last!) of Desmond and Penelope, which, considering it only started two seasons ago, will go down as a classic romance.

And of course, we got the usual dose of 'some answers, millions more questions' from the mythology side of the show. Now we know that an island CAN be moved, and that it looks pretty spectacular, but so many more questions will be asked. What's the deal with Dharma's time-travelling bunnies? How did Ben get thrust forward ten months into the future - in the middle of Tunisia? And most importantly, how on earth are the writers ever going to come up with answers to all these questions with only two seasons left?

That said, this episode gives further confirmation (if we needed any) why critics and fans can't get Lost enough. No other drama on television delivers so consistently yet leaves us wanting more. It's going to be a long eight months before we get any more answers.
  • The world is a fascinating place, but the island is where amazing things happen... Excellent finale

The world is a fasinating place, but the island is where amazing things happen... Excellent finale.

Probably the best episode ever on the show. It seems underatted though. I mean this second hour of the finale. Absolutely amazing, too good to be true.
    The amazing things that happened, all the damn action you could ever encounter, people die (which was sad...) and many mysteries are revealed.
    My one and only favorite scene is the last. We find out who is in the coffin as Jeremy Benthem and what is to be expected in the next season.
    Ben's people came out of hiding and in which John left Ben to go on his path moving the island to a safe place. John was then returned home with the others (Ben's pack).

The whole helicopter scene was terrific, who would have expected Michael to encounter Christian before he died? Jin, well I was upset but none of us can say for sure if he has passed away.
    Finally, the survivors were rescued by Penelope's group off the Season 2 final but it was anything but happiness when Jack told all of them to lie, including Frank and Desmond.

The worst part for me was not Michael's death but the fact that Kate has Aaron in her care. Claire, what the devil has happened to her? The baby was her's god damn it.
    Ben is the best character on Lost. You can see why by watching the complete two-hour finale.
    Keamy sent by Charles Widmore would not give up on killing Benjamin or any of the survivors. His death caused the freightor to explode causing Michael to be killed, possibly Jin as well.
    I just cannot get over Jeremy Benthem as being John Locke. I had to watch this episode twice just to figure out what I was going to write in this review! Ben tells Jack that all of the Oceanic six must all go back to the island and Ben has an idea of how to convince everyone to go through with it.
    But in conclusion, the survivors are being watched... As we saw through Sun and Sayid rescuing Hugo from the mental institute.

Overall, excellent... Enough said. You just read my opinion for goodness sake! Lol
< 1 2