Lost

There's No Place Like Home (3)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 29, 2008 on ABC

• Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery.

Could've been a great episode, unfortunately it was two. This season has mostly been about answering questions rather than asking new ones. Lost at the end of its fourth season is a show without its main asset - mystery, with characters that (mostly) don't change, and without the ability to fill two good hours of television.
    The weaker moments:
    * Jack waits until after the opening sequence to remember he doesn't care about Locke.
    * Most boring bomb ever.
    * Keamy's alive, Sawyer's alive, gimme a break.
    * Lock gushes about Ben killing everyone on the ship, but then has a heart-breaking farewell moment with him.
    * What probably bugged me the most: So that's the reason the Oceanic Six lied? This is so lame. What did you think was going to happen to you? To the people on the Island? Maybe you'd become public figures who no one can touch, and certainly the search for the rest of the survivors would've created public interest. Even if this isn't Jack's real reason and he's channeling Locke, why didn't any of the others object to this silliness? Why couldn't the producers see this for the unconvincing plot device it is?

What did work?
    * Sun.
    * The audience cheers as the former Iraqi soldier hits the former US commando. Very clever.
    * The people on the lifeboat are, essentially, archetypes (The doctor, the pregnant woman, the pilot, and so on). This is essentially a reference to the Lifeboat dilemma (look it up). I liked that everyone survives eventually - I kept waiting for Lapidus to trip on a banana and break something.

(Translated from my post in Hebrew at tve.co.il)
  • Killing off all the original characters.

They're doing what they always do. I've been following it four years, but I think they lost me this time. They've killed literally 3/4 of the original characters by this point and I'm getting tired of seeing characters built up and then shot to pieces. It's unrealistic to kill so many people in the space of a few days on a plane wreck anyway. I'm not sure why there are so many who vote for this in the 10 range. I can see that, all things considered, separate from the rest of the series, it's a pretty good show, but to kill so many main characters detracts from the show and what has been built up; I'm sorry.
  • Cool episode, but this is a very weird and kind of stupid tv show

This episode was really long, but good. I'm not a big fan of the show but i had to admit this was a good episode. I'm sure that in the end of the series the producer will give no answer to all the weird things are happed. They don't even bother to explain the thing with the polar bear for Christ sake... Anyway, i'm downloading the series just for fun... but the plot actually sucks hehehe

bye!

cdjgvnrjrgvjrbgv efejbf fejfbeb febwjfuebbf e febfebwu febfube febfbei ebffbeubf fbebfib jefbebfe ebfubeufbe febfub ebfueu bfeb eufbuebf bfb b ebfbfwb fbeb bbfebfbebf jfebbfj jbjfbfb jfebf bfjbefj
  • I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for this review, but here goes anyway: a lot of unbelievable (even for LOST) things happened here.

While I certainly appreciated the writing in this episode where it made sense (Michael Emerson was fantastic as always, and Penny and Desmond's reunion was heartfelt), there were some things that I had inexcusable problems with.

First:

Why didn't Frank check the helicopter before they lifted off? They were in no imminent danger, and after having just been in a gunfight that was in the immediate vicinity of the helicopter, one would think he'd check for problems/holes. I don't buy that they were in a desperate hurry to get off the island--you'd still want to be sure you were good to go. This was simply a sloppily written way to get Sawyer off the helicopter.

Also, when/why did the freighter move, and how did the chopper then find it? Juliet should not have been able to see the ship since they hadn't been able to see it before. Just because there's a fire doesn't mean it's easier to see. It should still have been 80 or so miles away--remember, the guy in part 1 that was manning the vessel wouldn't move it, and it was because the radio frequency of Keamy's explosive device was stopping him from seeing the reef. The human eye can't see a fire's smoke 80 miles away.

Also, that crash into the ocean of the helicopter was very violent. How did everyone survive? The claim that "the island made them survive" seems a bit far for me--why, then, has everyone else who's died in the past seasons also perished? I think if Frank had bit the dust or someone at least been injured, it would have been more believable. And how the heck is Aaron completely okay at that point? It just isn't believable.

Last, I understand why, in the heat of yelling at Jack, Kate would refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham, and why Sayid would call him that as well, if they were being watched/listened to. But why would Walt when talking to Hurley? It seems the writers simply did that to keep up the guise.

Let me be clear that I have no problem with the direction things have gone--I don't think the "move the island" thing or the mysterious wheel are problematic, so long as they're eventually explained. I do, however, take issue when these unrealistic things happen that are supposed to be "real"--not sci-fi or inexplicable. It's just a tad sloppy, especially for Damon and Carlton.
  • Excelente final de temporada, muy tipico de LOST

Este es un capitulo impresionante! Tipico de la serie LOST, y mas aun, muy tipico como final de temporada! Es increible como se van desenvolviendo los personajes respecto de su vida en la isla con los "flashfowards" del futuro, y se va encaminando la seria para el espectador de entender el por que, despues de haber sido "rescatados", alguno de ellos quieren volver a la isla para ayudar a los que se quedaron. De igual forma, es increible los conocimientos que tiene Ben de la isla, se las sabe todas! Supo que era lo que iba a pasar cuando movieran la isla, y sabe que hay que regresar a la isla, es increible el final del capitulo cuando Jack y Ben hablan entre ellos diciendose que deben volver a la isla todos los que salieron de ella, incluso, el que aparece muerto en el ataud al minuto final del capitulo, dejando la expectativa de como murio y de como salio de la isla!!! Definitivamente tengo que seguir viendo la proxima temporada!!! es adictiva!!!
  • Three main issues arent convincing...

First, Why would Jack still disagree on the fact the Island has been moved! I mwan c'mon, he doesnt have to be this stubborn, everybody else onthe helicopter saw it dissapearing.

Second, why wouldnt anyone say the name of the dead Guy in the coffin (Locke)? Seems silly, especially when they say:
    "dont say his name..." is it a riddle?! I see it as a faut pas for the producers whi havent dissapoitned me until this one..

Third, Whats with Christian! is he an Angel?! PLS NOT or it would be so cheekly, then that guy that doesnt grow would be the devil..etc,.. i hope the producers prepared really amazing and unpredictable answers or it would be such a dissapointment from such a big hit show.
  • Some long awaited answers as the story moves forward.

This second hour came out of last minute negotiation between the producers and ABC to get one of the three episodes "in the bank" from the writers' strike to tell the story properly, as well as giving viewers the two hour finale that is expected. It was obviously the right call. With all the stuff that happens in these two hours, it would've been impossible to cram all that stuff into one. It's pretty amazing that the fast production didn't hurt the episode much outside of some of the special effects (the freighter explosion).

Keamy succumbs to the fatal wounds Ben gave him, setting up the explosion. It's unfortunate that Keamy is gone from the present narrative since he helped make that threat Ben and Locke were warning Jack about very real, but he served his purpose. It might've been cool to have his arm cut off, activating the trigger, but that'd be hard to pull off on a regular basis if he survived. The dead man's trigger, along with the correct assumption that the freighter was going to explode, marked his curtain call. One question brought up by his death was why didn't Locke attempt to put on the dead man's trigger? It's possible that once it went off, it was off and even a second away from a pulse would trigger it.

As it turns out, Sun's fault of deceiving others didn't result in her being separated from Jin, but the overall panic on the freighter as people tried to get off before the bomb went off did. It's obviously a better choice, as my theorized method would be hard to pull off without making Sun really unsympathetic, plus the chaos works better dramatically (the direction in this scene was reminiscent of "24", which I miss so much).

Despite being on the freighter when the bomb went off, I am 100% convinced Jin is still alive. It would be hard for them to pull off such a twist without it cheating the life or death stakes they want to portray on the island, but as mentioned in previous reviews, Sun believing Jin's dead is probably the only way it could work, and Yunjin Kim really sells the devastation of losing Jin. Her screams are chilling.

As for where he is, a good theory would be Faraday's boat picks up Jin among the wreckage. However, upon further thought, he may be on the island. Remember back in season two when he somehow wound up back on the island several hours ahead of Michael and Sawyer? Well he may have done so the same way the doctor's body washed up a day and a half before he died. He could have easily returned to the island a day before the move in an uninhabited area.

For all the promotion surrounding Michael's return, it didn't yield much this season. They emphasized he would be a lead character, but was only featured in a few episodes. Many prominent characters didn't even know he was back. He ultimately failed in his redemptive mission: Keamy's men got to the island and killed half a dozen people, not to mention the bomb that killed everyone on the freighter (except Jin. I'm not giving up.) It lacks the heroism Charlie's actions turning off the Looking Glass' signal had. Perhaps Christian's "You can go now", a rather dismissive phrase, was meant to be taken as the island punishing Michael for his failure. That may be why it wasn't Walt who showed up to let his dad off the hook.

The biggest problem is that there was no closure regarding his relationship with Walt, which is ironic considering how father-child relationships are major pieces for most of the characters. There is always the chance he may appear to Walt and that story may be resolved that way, but Walt's story is more connected to his ambiguous ability.

Ben's fork in the microwave blows apart the chamber, revealing something far older, similar to the special room in his secret closet in the Barracks, particularly with the hieroglyphics with a huge wheel covered in ice. However, the wheel itself, as well as the unusual cold, reminds me more of something Northern European. Dharma may have been aware of this wheel and had the polar bear Charlotte found be the test subject, and they sealed it up to keep the room from being easily accessed.

Some things on the island I'm willing to accept as they are without some explanation. Why is the Frozen Donkey Wheel room unusually colder than everywhere else on the island? How does turning a wheel cause the island to move or send its turner to Northern Africa? I'm not going to try to figure out, although it adds credence to the theory that the island is manufactured.

Ben's moving of the island precedes his flash forward. From his clothes, the sudden temperature change and the cut on his arm (why include it otherwise). So technically, Ben's flash forward would be first since only a few days passed for him. It is interesting to note how quickly Ben's resignation changes once he finds himself in Tunisia.

Ben believes he's being punished for failing the island last season. It's apparent during his emotionally charged push of the wheel. Before, he mentions that whoever moves the island can't return, the ultimate punishment for him. This is another ambiguous quote. Is it an agreed rule among island faithful? If not, one theory suggests Ben was charged by whatever was mentioned in The Orchid video and that will keep him from reentering that barrier. Whatever it is, there has to be a loophole since I can't see the island saga ending without Ben on it.

Considering what little we know, Locke's tenure as The Others' new leader is likely going to be disaster, but it will be interesting to see what he does. Will he be inclined to "merge the tribes" to borrow a phrase from "Survivor"? That would certainly be uneasy with turncoat Juliet. It'd serve as a fitting contrast to see Locke attempting Jack's "live together, die alone" philosophy.

For The Others, will some of them step in the spot light? It seems like it'd be better to invest more time with Alpert and developing his character, although a few Others will likely rise in prominence since otherwise it's a red shirt brigade. Alternatively, maybe Alpert and Locke will be the last Others standing following the bad things that'll happen on the island.

With the cast going in several directions, there are few key members left on the beach camp. Sawyer and Juliet are the only major leaders left, which should be an interesting power vacuum (and possible romance) to see develop, assuming we'll still see the on island events as we have. With the beach slimmed down, this would've been a better time to introduce a Nikki and/or Paolo into the mix, not that they'll likely try that again.

What happened to Faraday and the raft of red shirts left on the water? Every other person or group is accounted for (with the exception of Jin, who I refuse to believe died). They have set up Faraday's character too much to have him die ingloriously in the middle of nowhere. Because of his status, he may be the only person to inform Widmore of what happened on the island if Frank stays low profile.

Despite moving the island moving, Jack refuses to give Locke any credit (OK, he literally didn't move the island, but he wouldn't know that). This is where Jack's behavior waves a little too far in mid-X-Files Scully territory, but Jack's skepticism has given way to cynicism, which may be the beginnings of his stupor.

It's also worth noting that the moment the island disappears, the people on the island think the Oceanic Six and the others on the freighter are dead and the Oceanic Six have no idea what happened to those left behind. So their reaction to the Six's return will likely be a lot different than we might've expected if we assumed the Six left the rest in a more selfish way. Then of course, Locke finds out they survived as he visits them, but when does that happen?

Desmond's reunion with Penny is as heartfelt and satisfying as anyone could've wished for. As mentioned before, their love story resonates more than all the Jater/Skater/Jurley stuff put together. Despite knowing she would be in the episode, the moment one of the Portuguese men (who apparently was in the artic station when Desmond turned the key) called for Ms. Widmore, many fans and I started freaking out. I haven't gotten this way since Jim & Pam on "The Office" (or their British counterparts).

The only concern with this is that many were expecting to wait another two years for this scene. Now that they are reunited, is this forecasting doom, especially with Penny in Ben's cross hairs? Desmond's promise that he'll never leave her may be tested if he needs to return to the island. Or maybe Widmore stuck her on the island since Ben supposedly can't return there.

As for the two other people with the Six when Penny rescued them, Desmond will obviously stick with Penny, who has the money to keep them under the radar for the rest of their lives, but will they extend that courtesy to Frank? He's the only surviving freight crew not on the island or unaccounted for, and Widmore would likely want to see him to know what happened to his men.

The flash forwards didn't take as much screen time as expected, but the short and sweet segments set up their stories for next season well. Sayid extracting Hurley from Santa Rosa for "somewhere safe" is a big loose end from the episode, setting up their story for the presumed pick up point for the Six, after the death of "Jeremy Bentham". Apparently, that is enough to indicate that things have gone bad that drastic measures are now necessary. Why does Sayid need to take Hurley immediately though? It's likely because of his ability to talk to Jacob. Since Locke is the man in the coffin, Ben would want to get the only other person who can do that on his side to figure out the next phase of their plan.

Hurley is deep in his mental illness, playing chess with Mr. Eko, as that may be the only way he can handle the guilt. His remark about speaking to dead people could've easily set up a "Sixth Sense" twist, revealing one of the people we saw him talking to in the hospital was the man in the coffin, but that wouldn't have had much weight since all four major characters he's talked to in the institution (not including Charlie) interacted with someone else. It could also be the island sending the dead like Charlie.

Kate's dream sequence puzzled some people as they believed what she saw were mixed visions brought by the island. The phone call she gets, when reversed, warns her to return to the island "before it's too late", but then Claire appears telling her not to bring "him" back. However, it seems more like Kate's desires are subconsciously manifested in the island visions. Kate has the least interest in returning to the island because of Aaron and the terms of her probation (for a capital crime she clearly did). For the former, having Claire appear and reinforce her opinion justifies her feelings about the island, but now that resolve is cracking.

Sun's flash forward has a lot of promise. She obviously took reigns at her father's company to get close to Widmore, but is she aligning with him? She mentions they have "common interests", which is likely the island and getting to it. He is the best connection to the island she has, since there's no indication Locke or Ben visited her. The answers to why she reached out to him may be some of the strongest evidence supporting Jin being alive. Why else would she want to get to the island?

Then we have Jack, going through more grunge-era music in his stupor, presumably right after his "we have to go back" moment with Kate. Ben now may have him under his thumb as well, another ironic twist of fate. Although how will Ben clean Jack up so he can get everyone back?

Ben emphasizes that everyone must return with Jack to the island, but does everyone mean only the Oceanic Six? What about Walt, who has been off for more than a month when the Six leave; Ji Yeon, conceived on island, but not born there; Desmond, who wasn't on the plane, but spent three years there; and Frank, who was only on the island in passing, but was there nonetheless. If it includes Desmond, it may be a ruse to get Penny out of hiding so he can exact revenge on Widmore. Considering how scattered they are, getting them together again will likely be a big part of next season.

Ben's ideas for getting those who left to return will likely involve his classic tactic of finding what a person values, then exploiting it. Jack and Hurley will likely be game. Sayid may be as well, assuming he is still working for Ben. The way through Kate has to be through Aaron. Assuming he's still alive, Jin may be motivating Sun's "common interests" with Widmore and Ben can likely exploit that too.

The biggest reveal of the episode was the season ending cliffhanger of Locke being the man in the coffin. Many have suspected it to be him all along. It makes sense considering their contentious relationship regarding the island being special that Jack would regret doubting him since it had tragic consequences. That said, I don't think Locke is necessarily dead the way other people except Christian are. Locke is such a central character to the show's story to now. It'd be a hard sell to have Ben and Jack playing Weekend at Bernie's with him.

There are a lot of questions surrounding Locke's journey back to the main land as Jeremy Bentham. There is no known practical method of getting off the island besides turning the frozen donkey wheel. So some have theorized that Locke will move the island again, expelling himself. Not being able to return, some have theorized, spurred his suicide. However, there is more than enough doubt as to if he really did kill himself.

As for his secret identity, the survivors insisting on calling him Bentham continues their objective to lie about their stay to protect those left behind. Sayid suspected that Locke was murdered and made to look like a suicide, so maybe his paranoia stems from him believing the secret is out and those out to get the left behind are at risk. Locke knows of Widmore, but obviously doesn't have the history Widmore had with Ben.

The narrative structure for next season should be as interesting, if not more, than this one. There are three years to mine for the Oceanic Six as well as the people left behind. Will island action pick up where we left off with jumps in the time line, or will they do a "Three Years Later" jump and have those left behind do flashbacks to explain what bad things happened on the island? It seems likelier that the subplots involving the Six, Ben and maybe Walt will pick up around the time this episode ends. The gap wasn't really supposed to be answered this season, rather it was the set up for next season's story. Three major questions will likely be key story points next season: how do the people who left the island reunite and return, what happened to those who stayed behind and what were the circumstances that lead to Locke's "death".

While this finale didn't have the mind bending twist that changed the trajectory of the series like last season, there was enough emotional satisfaction with how events happened to make up for it. Not to mention they couldn't keep topping themselves with crazy twists or next season they'd reveal Christian fathered everyone on the island, including himself. The writing overall was very strong, setting up some interesting paths they can go down next season, but it was the performances in this episode that really resonate. There are so many moving, exciting and intriguing moments in this closing chapter of the best season yet that easily makes up for there not being a major game changer like last year. Some criticized this episode for lacking in major surprises, but it was clear this season, as well as the series itself, is all about the journey.
  • Yeah it was amazing.

Part 1 was very good and it setup the last couple of hours perfectly.

Part 2 and 3 was absolutly amzing everything you could ever want in a episode of Lost. All the flashfowards were great, I enjoying seeing Walt again, hopefully we will see him more in the next couple of seasons. Hurley seeimg Mr Eko was pretty stupid but I liked it "Check mate, Mr Eko". Final scene was very good, I kind of expected it to be Locke but still good. Scary scene with Claire wonder who was on the phone? Michaels's death was pretty cool, wel the whole episode was amazing Sayid Vs Keamey was great and Ben as usual was great, I would give him the best supporting actor Emmy award this year. everything about this episode was great, best episode of Lost.

I hope season five is as good as foour but its going to be pretty tough to beat it.
  • Well, the answers are here, but in the process, what we enjoy about Lost may be gone forever.

Lost walked what was a very well known dead end for three years. Twin Peaks, Dinasty or The X Files had been there before, and Lost was very self-consciously trying to avoid the same pitfalls.

I now wonder if it's worth it. The three parter here doesn't feel like a season finale, but a series finale itself. The switch from questions to answers mode is made, but ending the season on such a revelatory note creates the feeling that everything has been said and done. We might not know who Jacob is or what happened to "Jeremy Bentham" up until his death, but we get closure for pretty much every character. They are redefined in a way that allows people's imaginations to develop further, because there's nothing we know is going to happen. We are told the Oceanic Six will attempt to return to the island, but we don't know that they will actually make it there so, in fact, if no other Lost episode was ever produced, this show would have ended with as much closure as The X Files did.

As for the episodes themselves, they made a surprisingly Hollywood turn from hiding what's going on to showing it. No longer strange effects are hidden from sight. Ships blow up, islands disappear leving behind a water ripple... Overall, it's not quite as effective or suspenseful as the alternative. But, I guess, that's what endings are all about.

So that's the reasoning behind the score up there. It's a somewhat decent ending for Lost, but it's a season finale that actually diminishes my desire and expectations for the last two seasons.

I won't be counting the days for the show's return, this time but, to its credit, I won't because I'm reasonably satisfied already.
  • A Lost season finale, not surprisingly it was very good!

The previous episode ended with several major cliff-hangers to be resolved in the finale. Because of that and the knowledge of who the Oceanic Six were this episode had a clear focus and storyline from the start and I was just thankful to be along for the ride. Having a clear idea of how things were going to end actually made it more intriguing rather than less as the question was how do only these six get of the island. This season has been very good at not beating about the bush when it has come to major storylines, unlike some previous seasons. So the fact that how they got off the island is fully wrapped up in this double episode was particularly satisfying.

Despite that I wasn't too impressed with the way the episode started. Firstly the "Previously on Lost" sequence seemed a bit poor. Normally it's well edited with a great soundtrack to accompany it, but here it felt a bit flat. Although as not really part of the episode, that's a minor quibble. The episode starting right where last season's finale ended was something I wasn't too fond of. It was a fair enough way to kick off the finale, but going back and adding to that scene felt a bit cheap to me. It was such an iconic scene that trying to milk off it seemed unnecessary and a bit poorly done. I'd have much rather if Jack and Kate's conversation took place somewhere else not right there by the airport.

The rest of the flash-forwards were great though. Where part one had shown the Six's lives within the first few months back in the real world, this episode delved deeper into what they're all doing three years on. Each of them got an appropriate scene and each of them were great. Hurley got a visit from an old (and now quite tall) face. If I hadn't noticed Walt's name in the opening titles then it might have been a bit more surprising, but it was still great to see him back on the show. The flash-forwards have conveniently allowed for him to play his actual age which meant that he didn't need to be recast, a very good thing as Malcolm David Kelley is such a good young actor. His scene with Hurley was mainly to set the stage for the rest of the episode but I'm glad Walt's still part of the show as there's a lot more to find out about him.

Another name I couldn't help recognising in the opening titles was Jim Robinson's (Neighbours joke) AKA Charles Widmore. I assumed that his scene would be with Ben, but instead he shared the screen with Sun. In the last few years she's clearly become an established business woman within her father's company and it would appear that she wants revenge on Ben. Sayid getting Hurley out of the mental home was also cool, complete with an invisible special guest. Just Hurley mentioning Mr. Eko's name was enough to give me goosebumps, and even though it's unlikely we'll see him again the fact that he's still acknowledged on the show is a very good thing. Kate also had an unexpected visitor, but this time we could see them and it was in a dream. Claire's warning about Aaron seemed to me more of an excuse to get her into the episode for good measure than anything else but it was a nice little scene nonetheless.

Each of the flash-forwards did two things. The first was to show a part of the characters' lives and where they are now and the second seemed to be set-up for season 5. Although there are still a lot of major questions at the episode's end the sections in the future work well as specifically showing clear direction as to what will happen on the show next year. And so with that onto the core of the episode, which was set on (and around) the island.

The episode started with the cast members all spread around the place. We started with Jack and Sawyer on their way to rescue Hurley which resulted in Jack having another talk with Locke. It wasn't quite the same as the "Man of Science, Man of Faith" conversation (which is actually referenced) but it reminded the viewers of how different these two characters' perspectives are. We were then shown Ben's predicament with the mercenaries and treated to a superb action sequence! We were led to believe that the Others lost ten of their best last season but it would seem that the ones left aren't bad either! The way they took out the mercenaries was very well done and incorporated various different tricks they've used throughout the series including being stealthy, breaking necks and the shocking devices. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better Sayid jumps out at Keamy and they have a superb fight together. It was well choreographed and yet still believable as it didn't go over the top. Sayid rarely gets to show off his fighting skills so it was great to see him go at it here. Unfortunately he didn't win the fight himself and needed Richard to save him, but it was still awesome all round!

On the freighter Desmond, Michael and Jin were desperately trying to find a way to disarm the C4 in the ship's radio room. A quick line from Desmond about bomb disposal training in the army was enough to establish that he might just find a way to stop it. There was also a lot of effort put into why they couldn't disarm the bomb due to the many triggers. Most TV shows would've just pointed at the bomb and said "we're screwed" but Lost went out of its way to try to clearly explain why the characters were screwed. It prevented the characters from seeming silly for just staring at the bomb as well as why they didn't just run for it. I've only really got Lost's word (and Metal Gear Solid 2) to go on that Michael's attempt to stop the bomb was reasonable. But it gave him a strong purpose in the episode as well as a chance at his redemption.

After being rescued from the mercenaries Ben returns to the Orchid station to find Locke unable to get in it. His line about Locke not being able to find the right flowers was nice and it was good that there could still be a little humour in the episode considering everything that was going on. The Orchid station itself was very reminiscent of the Swan (that was the one with the button in, yeah?) and we got to see another orientation film. We've learned a lot about the Dharma Initiative but it's always great to see more of them and I still want to find out how Marvin Candle/ Mark Wickman/ Edgar Haliwax lost his arm. With time-travel an established part of Lost's mythology now there's some legitimacy behind Ben moving the island, as well as time-travelling bunnies. Locke's face while watching the video telling him not to put metallic items in the vault as Ben was doing just that was priceless, but we all new that Ben new what he was doing.

By this point Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sayid and Sawyer were on the chopper with Frank heading for the freighter. Obviously this was very close to the final Oceanic Six to the point where I was terrified as to what might become of Sawyer. And sure enough one of the bullets had ruptured the helicopter's fuel tank and they weren't going to make it to the ship. It was obvious what Sawyer was going to do but I couldn't help yell "Sawyer, don't do it" just as he kissed Kate goodbye and jumped from the helicopter. This was a huge moment and an amazing self-sacrificing thing for Sawyer to do, although from his perspective he would've thought he'd just have to wait a bit longer to get on the ship.

As with the season 3 finale with a lot going on the episode ran the risk of seeming like several different shows that didn't go together, and thankfully like the season 3 finale they all came together brilliantly with each affecting the rest. Ben killing Keamy caused the bomb to arm just as the helicopter landed on the freighter thus heightening the episode's tension to boiling point. That the fate of each character was now so brilliantly intertwined it really linked everything together well. Now that a good number of main characters were on the freighter it was really edge of your seat stuff. I never realised how dramatic refuelling a helicopter could be but it was done superbly!

When the freighter blew up it did look incredibly visually impressive, but it was also my main gripe with the episode. As a good number of the survivors were on the freighter by this point you would've thought Jack would've done his best to try to save them. Just getting on the helicopter and leaving most of his friends to die seemed very out of character, even considering how futile the situation was. The destruction of the ship also felt like a cheap way to get rid of all the extras. As we didn't know any of the ones that died as viewers we won't be too bothered but I can't help but feel that the showrunners were just getting tired of paying forty odd folk to stand about every week. On top of that although we knew Jin was going to die and it was most likely going to be the bomb that killed him I feel that it could've been done better. Because he was near the edge of the ship there's an argument that he could've survived. Now whilst I think Jin's a great character and will be sorely missed I'll feel it as a bit of a cop out if he survived. I really would've preferred if they'd clearly established that the blast took him out by using a close up shot with a CGI flame or something. Although Jin's death may not have been perfect, Sun's reaction to it was. The entire cast of Lost is incredible, but she really gave it her all to convey her decimation after seeing Jin blown up.

Then there's Michael's death. This is something that's bothered me about the entire season; because of the characters being at various different areas on and around the island it has been difficult for each of them to get enough screen time. As a result all of the newcomers seem unlikeable as we know very little about them and even some of the older cast members haven't had a lot to do (like Claire). But when Harold Perrinau was signed up for season 4 a big deal was made about it which implied he'd be around for a while. Just bringing him in to kill him off in the way they did seemed pointless to me and I feel that they've completely wasted a good character and a great actor. Maybe if he'd only been brought back as a guest star rather than a regular would've been a better idea especially as he was only in about five of the thirteen episodes. That said his death was pretty cool, complete with Christian Sheppard turning up to tell him he could die now. Speaking of, after four seasons isn't it about time we got to properly see one of the apparitions appear as opposed to the cheap off-screen camera trick?

That was my only real issue with the episode, although I do want to mention that this is the first season that not each main character has had at least part of an episode focused on them. Neither Claire nor Sawyer got any flashbacks/forwards this year and while Claire could be overlooked considering how awesome Sawyer has been this year it annoys me somewhat. Although that's a seasonal complaint that can't really be blamed on one individual episode. And so back onto the good stuff. Now that Ben officially handed over his leadership to Locke he had only one duty left to fulfil for the island, which was to move it. When Locke first said this a couple of episodes back I thought it was ridiculous, but to the show's credit they pulled it off in a very convincing way. There was just enough techno-babble so that I could buy the logic behind it without them going too into it. But of course the best part was as Ben went down to move the island his clothing and gash on his arm seemed very familiar. I can't think of any time Lost has given the answer to a mystery before they've given the question. Ok, in fairness the question was really "how did Ben end up in the desert wearing a big jacket?" I really didn't think that answer would be given for a long time and so to see how he got there in the finale was beyond excellent. A very satisfying answer to what had seemed like a dodgy mystery and so I was extremely happy with that one. Again Michael Emerson was excellent as he started crying whilst turning the wheel knowing that it meant him leaving the island he loved. Superb stuff!

And of course something as big as moving the island was going to affect everyone, and none more than those on the helicopter. With the freighter destroyed they had no choice but to head back to the island and just as they did it vanished. Jack still refusing to believe what he just saw was almost comical, but it would be hard to justify how something like that could be done and so his scepticism was totally believable. With nowhere to land the helicopter had to crash in the water but the catch was we knew everyone would survive. Well that is except Desmond and Frank. They played on this very well by having Desmond get a nasty bash on his head and not breathing. I think I might've cried if they did kill off Desmond, but fortunately common sense won out and he survived. What happened after that very nearly did make me cry, with tears of joy. (Although obviously not because I'm a guy and we don't cry!)

Rescue was one thing, but that it was Penny's boat was superb! Despite seeing her name in the opening titles I really didn't see that one coming! As soon as I heard the Portuguese accents (it was Portuguese wasn't it?) I couldn't help but think that maybe and then when we saw her it was awesome! Desmond and Penny had a reunion of sorts in "The Constant" but here it was for real and very, very emotional. An incredibly fitting end and excellent way for them to be rescued. The "One week later" bit seemed a bit weird considering that was about how long the fourth season seemed to cover, but I could buy it. Having the end so brilliantly tie into the flash-forwards was great and it really felt like disassembled parts of a picture coming together.

Of course it wasn't over yet, there was one more surprise in store for us: who was in the coffin. It seemed a little bit tacked on and didn't really work with the story but I'm not going to complain when we're given a reveal like that! It was obviously either Ben or Locke so as soon as Ben turned up behind Jack I knew who was in the coffin. Although it makes perfect sense and was played brilliantly, I feel that the reveal was held off a bit too long. If we'd seen Locke's face before hearing Ben's voice it might've worked better, but then again it did mean that the reveal got to be the last shot of the season which was appropriate.

So another season down and a superbly satisfying finale. The main questions raised in it aren't really to do with the show's mythology, but rather how will season 5 even work!? With all the different main characters all over the place now it'll be impossible to have episodes with everyone in (although in fairness this was the only one in season 4 with the whole main cast). Will the likes of Desmond or Claire be main characters next season or not? Did Daniel get transported with the island or is he stuck in the middle of the ocean? Guess we'll have to wait until the season 5 cast list is revealed to find out, but until then this great episode should tie us over. Although there wasn't quite a moment that was on par with the flash-forward reveal last year or the "I think I crashed your plane" the year before this was still an excellent overall episode. Lost has done it once again!
  • Great, but could have been even better

hmmmmm...

On one hand, it was a damn fine two hours of Lost.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

I'm beginning to rethink my feelings about the flashforwards. Don't get me wrong, they brought a whole new element to the show, but it basically sucked almost all the suspense out of the finale. Aside from a few details, we knew the fate of almost every character involved. Lost's biggest strength (and to some its biggest weakness) is keeping the audience in the dark; we have no idea what could happen at any second. It does right what the Blair Witch project excelled at: letting our minds fill in what our eyes couldn't see. But after a season of finding out where most of the main characters end up, we lose that uncertainty. We don't know exactly how things will happen, but we're not suprised when they do. When people died and freighters blew up, it was definitely dramatic, but... well, we knew it was coming. It's sort of like The Sixth Sense: everyone who saw it in theaters after the first couple of days knew that Bruce Willis was a ghost. That doesn't mean the ending was badly crafted, but it loses its impact with the audience.

Spoilers Ahoy!

The first hour was definitely the better of the two. Its momentum was on par with last season's finale: things were happening, and they were happening fast. Bunnies were traveling through time, there was enough C-4 on the boat to blow up an aircraft carrier, and Keamy was stabbed in the throat. The latter of these events was followed by Ben's simplest yet most awesome line to date: "So?"

The second hour seemed more concerned with connecting the dots between the island and the flashforwards than caring about how well it did it. Every major event had an accompanying anticlimax. The freighter is about to blow up, people are scurrying for lifevests, and then out of nowhere we're belowdeck with Michael and Christian Shepard saying "You can go now." Boom, the freighter's gone, but we've lost all of our excitement for the moment. Sun was crying, but we're not sure how to feel: Jin is dead, but wasn't the explosion what Michael wanted? Ben is about to move the island, but first he has to move some of the metal objects out of the way, walk through an icy tunnel, fall down a ladder, light a lantern, then spend an entire minute pushing a Frozen Donkey Wheel (though I guess it would have to take that long to turn; islands are heavy, after all). Then we spend another 30 seconds watching the sky turn white. After all this, I was just waiting for the island to move, already. What was the payoff? A splash. I was expecting something bigger after a three-episode buildup. I almost wonder if the two halves had different directors; things in the second half seemed to lack that usual Lost spark.

In retrospect, I guess there was no other way things could have gone down. If you set up a chain of dominos a certain way, that's the way they're going to fall. Maybe it's just that I've gotten used to Lost keeping me in the dark. As we learn more about the world surrounding the show, Lost loses its sense of mystery; without its sense of mystery (and without the island, which seems to no longer be the central setting for the show), what makes Lost different from any other drama on television?

But I think I'm looking at the show from a very negative standpoint. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse definitely have a plan for the rest of Lost's run, and we have every right to trust them. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this episode; I suppose I was just unfairly expecting it to be as phenomenal as last season's finale. One thing's for sure: I'll definitely be tuning in next year to see the best show on television continue.
  • Exactly what a usual season finale of Lost Can Deliver!!!!!

Plot Details/Objective -» Who is in that Coffin´s? How much time passed that the Oceanic six escaped from the Island? How Ben got out? What happened with Desmond and Penelope? IS Jin really Death? Will Michael die? What happened with the Other survivors in the Island? The writers had enough material to make this episode great.

What I Like/Disliked -» The ending was my favorite part. Loved to Know what happened to cause only six to escape. We have here another mystery, since we don´t Know what happened with the Others Characters. If Jin is Dead, is something to be confirmed in the next season. And Finally Des and Penny are reunited, they deserved.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). Nothing from the other world, but was nice to see.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). The freighter situation was interesting, the tension was great, since you want to Know who will die. The situation get more complicated when the Island disappears. The only thing is: you already Know who will not die.

Climax/End of the Complications -» (8/10). Was nicely handled, typical Lost, miracle or Luck, whatever you may interpret, they survived and were rescued.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). Exactly what you can expect, not more shocking than the Last Season, but continued to be very good.

Flash Forward´s -» (10/10). What could be so good or shocking that make rate it 10? The final scene says all. Sun Plans also it is interesting. Kate had a intriguing dream.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). This time the writers was more successful, since it is very hard to notice any scene that was there to buy time.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Everything that was important to be said, was said.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). This time was in form of adventure with the Helicopter. The first situation was intense and Sad because Jin. Than the Island disappeared and then you ask yourself how they will escape.

Drama/Emotions -» (10/10). I think even Michael dead was little sad too, but Jin Beat him from Miles. The ending, well, sad, surprising and shocking, too Shocking. The writers here exaggerate because this is the season finale and they were successful. Did you worry when Des was being reanimated?

Suspense/Tension -» (10/10). There is always one or two moments filled with tension, and if it was well done, only depends in how complicated is the situation for the Characters to overcome. This time Lost writers was successful. Great way to make the audience worry when Desmond is being reanimated.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). Finally you know who is in the coffin´s. How the Oceanic Six escaped too, and how Ben teleported off the Island. So it is impossible that you wouldn´t be satisfied with this episode.

Surprise/Twists -» (9/10). The writers come up with something to season 3 and 4 final scenes, and it is guaranteed, that it is not more shocking than season 3, but is very shocking anyway. Exactly what a usual season finale of Lost Can Deliver.
  • Outstanding. It is amazing that they can continue to pull this off.

So, after all the hype I was worried about this one. After all, it is almost impossible to live up to the tremendous expectations that were built up over the course of the season.

Cheers:

- The action sequences were well-paced, appropriate, and kept things moving.
    - Anything with Desmond in it is going to be good, and they used him well here.
    - They did a good job of putting this season to rest, so it is clear that next season can start fresh.
    - There actually was a frozen donkey wheel (go figure!) and for the first time ever, I feel that the Dharma stuff is less interesting than the much older structures they apparently built the stations to study. This was an unexpected turn (for me, at least).

Jeers:

- Michael's ending felt very flat, particularly after all the marketing hype about bringing his character back. Sure, he did some good things, but he didn't get much credit for them.
    - Because of the flash-forwards, I'm starting to feel like I'm watching a repeat. They really need to be careful next season to keep things interesting. The main mystery can't be how does someone die (who you already know dies due to a flash forward).
    - Because of the writer's strike, the freighter folk didn't get enough exposition. I'm looking forward to that next season, particularly for the Miles character.

So, overall this was an outstanding ending to the season. My main concern really is with the next two seasons, as it will be difficult to keep things fresh and mysterious. It should be a wild ride!
  • Oceanic six are rescued by Penny's boat and her and Desmond are FINALLY reunited (thank God!). Jack gets them to lie about the survivors in response to Locke's final words pleading for him to do so. Locke is dead in a flash forward and has a new name.

Why lie to protect the survivors left on the island? Protect them from what? The only threat to them (widmore)already knows they're lying and the island has been moved so now noone else can find it except maybe Ben and he too knows they're lying.

I think Locke failed as "leader" and was ousted in a revolt. He blames Jack and the others leaving for destiny not being correctly fullfilled and thus contacts them (and/or the island contacts them) in an attempt to bring them back to "correct things". The remainders dont want him back (claire-"dont you dare bring him back") and will have a chilly reception for anyone returning.

BTW I think there will be survivors of the frieghter explosion, maybe Sun and Michael among others, who will not be "on board" with the others who dont want the six returning.

Gonna be awesome.
  • A very satisfying ending to the fourth season.

Many shows have been butchered because of the writer's strike. Some ended sooner without a proper finale(Prison Break), some has been simply altered so that it would seem a "whole" season(Heroes).

Those aren't good. While Prison Break didn't leave us hanging like a PB finale would, Heroes didn't even... well, do a thing. It really left me cold. So I was a bit worried that the Lost crew tried to make the season a whole by cutting a few episodes and altering the finale. But guess what...

It worked.

This episode, while not as earth shattering as S2 or S3 finale, was amazing. From start to finish, it was an insane ride. Very fast paced, lots of action and some nice reveals.

This whole season was based on the last scene of season 3 and so this episode finally gives us the last possible perspective to comprehend that scene. After this, if you have questions regarding how the O6 got off and what happened to them - you simply have to rewatch season4 - there is nothing more to reveal about the timeframe between leaving the island and Jack's "We have to go back" scene. First of all: I loved the beginning. The continuation to the big scene was done well and it was quite interesting. Instantly revealing the fake identity of who's in the coffin was unexpected, at least for me. Jeremy Bentham - wink wink.

Moving on...., I was impressed once again. Getting so quickly onto the fight between the others and Keamy's men was also unexpected. And oh boy, it was a great scene, especially Keamy's capture. A fight scene really has to be impressive nowadays to gain a viewer's attention - there's one every five minutes on TV. But this - Sayid and Keamy - badass.

Then, I was almost in heaven. The conversation between Locke and Jack was... phenomenal. "It's not and island. It's a place where miracles happen". Exactly! And Jack doesn't believe John, that's just so Jack. So stubborn... But Locke is, too, right? Except, this time around, John is correct.

The previous episode ended with the O6 being all around the island so I was really excited to see how will they end up at the same place. It was handled really well. The flashforwards make the endpoint known but the road leading up to it is unpredictable enough to have you on the edge of your seat all the time. The same thing happened here.

How long is it before Sawyer gets off the chopper? - This is the question I kept asking myself. I figured, he wouldn't even get on it. But he did. So would he die on the freighter? No. There was a fuel leak and he sacraficed himself - interesting.

During the first 2 seasons we watched Sawyer being stubborn and really selfish. It was always a fact that he, deep inside, was caring, but he never really showed the signs. However once he got closure in season 3(He finally killed Anthony) he became a different man.

I do still claim Jack to be the "hero" of the show, but Sawyer was the "hero" of the season, that's for sure. His caring for his fellow survivors(Claire, Hurley), his clear thinking(Staying with Locke instead of Jack) and his ultimate sacrifice(jumping off the chopper) was really heroic.

John's and Ben's scenes in the Orchid were great. Having Keamy come back Mikhail style for just one more monologue was great . Nobody really expected Keamy to be taken down by anyone else but Ben, right? And so it happened. And we also learnt what is that strange device on Keamy's arm - some sort of remote control that activates the bomb on the freighter if Keamy's heart stops beating.

Ben's little "So what" was rather intriguing. In season 3 finale we learn that he's willing to go extremely far to protect the island, but regarding person matters, he always stays "cool". However, in season 4, we learned that he literally killed one of his best man just to keep him away from his love(Juliet). And now, we saw him sacrifice a bunch of people just so he can get his revenge.

All this - is probably the reason Jacob is no longer considering Ben to be the "leader" of the natives.

The freighter blowing up wasn't much of a surprise. However it was an amazing scene.

First of - Michael telling Jin to leave was the final piece of puzzle missing from Michael's redemption. He finally redeemed himself, even though it meant his death. Secondly - Jack rushing everyone to get on the chopper(while he's aware Jin is still on the boat) was very surprising. Jack's glory has been slowly fading away since the season 4 premiere but now it has completely disappeared. He only cared for Kate at that very moment, which definitely adds to the guilt he feels in the flashforwards.

One thing I found a bit out of character here was the fact that the red shirts didn't even try to get on the chopper. It would've made a great scene - showing the O6 block random people from entering the chopper - would've been a very dramatic, in my opinion.

So Jin and Michael dies - and Sun screams(which by the way was amazingly realistic). Unlike previous season finales, the episode's peak moment wasn't at the very end, but before it - Ben moving the island. Half scientific, half tale-like; but it was good. Amazing music and acting performance to accomadate Ben turning the Frozen Donkey Wheel.

Jack not admitting that he saw the island move was really in character for him and further proves that he's extremely stubborn. This stubborn state slowly fades away in the flashforwards and finally he realizes that John Locke was right all along - at the very end of the episode, where it's revealed that Jeremy Bentham is actually John Locke.

The writers planned this as a huge reveal, but I think it was not. It was great but not nearly as shocking as it was set up. I think it was a slight mistake to use it as the season cliffhanger. Still, it was great.

I also thought it was a bit too early to kill off Michael. However, this was due to the strike. Surely, if there had been 2 more episodes with at least 20 minutes of Michael - time, his death would've been more acceptable.

Another issue I had was that, it simply didn't have that "PUNCH" that the previous finales have. It, from the beginning to the end, felt like an episode that was made so it gets the "work" done: showing the actual rescue. I know, that is what it was supposed to do, but quite frankly, I counted on more unexpected twists and turns.

We knew the rescue would happen, we knew the island would move, we knew Jin would die. However that's just a minor complaint because even as it was, it was exciting.

But I have a bigger one: The big reunion. Penny and Desmond's relationship has been building up since season 2 and it truly is one of the greatest ones on television. So their reunion was epic, even though it wasn't nearly as epic as it could've been. There was not enough time to build it up or to enjoy it - it felt as if it was just stuffed into the episode. Even considering that, though, this was still an amazing finale. And I must give the writers a little leeway: after all, they did have extremely short amount of time to make this finale and they also had lesser episodes to tell the story; which is why this episode gets a 9.6 I did like "The Constant" and "The Shape of Things to Come" more, but this episode was much much more difficult to make; I really felt the tremendous amount of effort put into it.

However, had it been a regular finale to a regular season, I doubt it would've scored more than a 9.0 on my scale, which is still very impressive, of course, but not as impressive as the other Lost finales.
  • Only on Lost could you move a WHOLE ISLAND ... and not have the show's credibility shattered.

You have to admire the balls of a show like Lost. Every season finale finds a new way to rewrite the rules of conventional television, and yet never be considered to jump the shark. In the first season, they teased but did not reveal the hatch (which ended up backfiring when the hatch just turned out to be the entrance to a glorified computer lab). In the second season, the finale revolved around the romance of a guest star and a character who had just been introduced. And in the classic third finale, they actually transformed the entire premise of the show by introducing the narrative convention of flash-forwards.

The only problem with such audacity is that it gets harder and harder to top past performance with new ways to blow the audience's mind. So we arrive at the fourth season finale, which will suffer from inevitable comparisons to the third-season gamechanger. This time around they went for a 'shock' ending which answered an old question rather than introduce a new one. Not that this doesn't diminish from the impact of finding out who Jeremy Bentham is, but it's not quite as mind-turning as the last finale.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse themselves warned us in advance that this finale was more of a straightforward action-adventure narrative, and on this at least they did deliver. The classic Sayid-Keamy smackdown must surely go down as the most gripping fight this show has seen. We got the melodrama of Sawyer's last moments with Kate, the tension of Jin's and Michael's supposed deaths, and the tearful reunion (at last!) of Desmond and Penelope, which, considering it only started two seasons ago, will go down as a classic romance.

And of course, we got the usual dose of 'some answers, millions more questions' from the mythology side of the show. Now we know that an island CAN be moved, and that it looks pretty spectacular, but so many more questions will be asked. What's the deal with Dharma's time-travelling bunnies? How did Ben get thrust forward ten months into the future - in the middle of Tunisia? And most importantly, how on earth are the writers ever going to come up with answers to all these questions with only two seasons left?

That said, this episode gives further confirmation (if we needed any) why critics and fans can't get Lost enough. No other drama on television delivers so consistently yet leaves us wanting more. It's going to be a long eight months before we get any more answers.
  • My part 2 and 3 are the same review though I gave the last hour a higher score.

I have to admit before finally sitting down and writing this review I had to re-watch the episode three times just to make sure my score and review wouldn't be biased due to them having Locke in the coffin (he is my favorite character after all). I felt this episode was very well written and I didn't feel like the episode dragged at any part at all. Although some questions were answered such how did the Oceanic Six make it to that island, would Desmond finally get to Penny, would the island get moved, who was in the coffin etc, some other questions were also created. Some of these new ones to me at least are what happened on the island once it was moved? What happened to Daniel Faraday and the people he had in the raft did they get moved with the island? Will Jack and Ben be able to co-exist and get everyone they need to get to the island? Will the island ever be found again etc. Besides the ending of this season I have to admit this was one of the better seasons of Lost. Now we have the long wait till season 5 :(
  • This is just great!!! A season finale i would expect.. the perfect eye catcher for the series... hope they continue like that

This is just great!!!
    A season finale i would expect.. the perfect eye catcher for the series... hope they continue like that, cuz really i love the series but on season 2 and 3 they started to make a little boring the series... this is a fine example of a series comeback the way everything happens and how we now understand all about previous "future scenes episodes" its great! the hole episode just makes you sit tight and enjoy what for me is the second best episode of the series... the first being of course "trough the looking glass"

Thanks a lot!
  • OMG! this episode was... the fourth lost seasonfinal, amazing.

I saw this episode and just holding my breath, I love lost and even do, this season had have its ups and downs it was a very good episode. And I have to say Sawyer, shoud get more creatit, jumping out of the hellicopter to svave his friends and everbody sees Jack as there hero anyway. I am a little disapointed that he and Kate are`t together they are so perfect.

And whats up with this charlotte girl and her history... hum can`t wait... and my lovely Desmond finally got his Penny, hoping that they dont get find by her dad or ben. But this Ben story, he gave up his beloved island, and then I was suprised cause he allways got a plan. I wonder if he had some kind of plan when he left, he will get back I can feel it. The man in the coffin Jeremy benton was locke that was a suprise...I had hoped it was Ben and I had thaut that it was maybe Sawyer but luckely it wasint, but that Locke died on a island that saved him it strange. Locke has never been my favorite because he done so many bad and wrong things but, I hate when they killing of characters but next season, will see what happen on the island after oceanic six left.
    I can understand Sun for helping widmore but are she going to give up des and penny does she know were they are?
    She´s really changed to a hard person but that did´t shock me. And who is richard? I mean the island is strange but he is freaky, and never gets old. The more I see lost, The more questions I get. Even do this season a lot of them got answerd. Lost never gets boring and you you allways gets so confused. Season five ...o my ##### god
  • Clearly the best series ever on television!!!

This show is absolutely amazing. All the award winning components of great TV are present--from the acting to the writing. So many of our questions got answered in this episode, along with so many other questions stirring in our heads. That is what makes this series so spectacular. Even after four seasons LOST still keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. Viewers' minds scurry through memories to try to figure out what each scene really means. I can not remember a show ever keeping me so engaged and perplexed. This is PURE ENTERTAINMENT on so many levels. I can't wait until season five!
  • Who is Jacob? - major speculative spoiler

In the episode where John Locke gets shot by Ben, and where earlier he hears Jacob asking him for help, if you freeze the picture where the face of Jacob is partially and furtively shown, I was very surprised with the resemblance.
    At the end of this finale I now think it is true.
    So who is Jacob?
    I wonder if the makers of Lost have an alternative script, but the treatment of the John Locke character reminded me of Gilbert Gosseyn in The world of Null-A by AE Van Vogt, where in his books, he explores general semantics and its possible applications in organizing human life. The hero Gosseyn, like John Locke is looking for answers about his world, finds out also like John Locke that in fact he is the architect of his world.
    In other words:
    John Locke = Jeremy Bantham = Jacob, and yes the flashing face in the shadows of the person sitting on the chair inside the haunted house is none but that of John Locke / Jeremy Bantham...
  • GROUND BREAKING!

CRAZY AWESOME is just an understatement to this episode. The episodes of this season has posed as mini movies; that is how good the episodes are! This season has been nothing BUT pure non-stop excitement, and these previous episodes have proved to be the most powerful, emotional, and AMAZING yet. And because of them, Lost is now my second favorite Television series. Just when you think you know what is going to happen, you have no idea! Ben Linus must have a million tricks up his sleeve on the island, and his decision to leave the island doesn't have to be his last trick on the island! Can't wait for the next season!
  • Season 4 finale shocker.

So I finally got to see that 3 hours finale of Lost season 4. First off, the season was brilliant and lived up to the hype as far as I am concerned. There is so much to tell in it. The island was indeed move, it felt odd at first but then I re-watched it and loved it. Yeah yeah, lost is getting even more Sci-fi but who cares when it still delivers such shocker.The ending was WOW! I know a lot theorized on it but I was shocked to see Locke is that casket. We learn why the Oceanic 6 were lying and why JAck wanted to go back. Season 5 is still far away but everything looks promising, very promising.
  • The best episode ever! The questions are answered, with more new questions. Awesome!

Amazing double episode, and I have to say that it is the best of the whole season of Lost. I am not so sure about what happened to the island, I mean, who it could be possible.... they moved the entire island to another place to make this unfounded!, it is amazing!

The best part of this, of course, as always is the end of the episode, that make us wonder what is gonna happen next season. Are the six of oceanic came back to the island?, could they find it at all?, what is doing Jack´s father alives,what bag things happens to the rest of the people in the island, and the big question to me, why is Lock dead? I can´t wait to see next season.
  • The Oceanic 6 make it off the island, in a very last minute effort to get everyone of the island. Some maybe lost forever, and some stuck on the island, which Ben has successfully moved.

Wow...this may go down as the very best episode of LOST ever. The action, the drama, the gut-wrentching heartache of watching familiar characters lose their lives was too much to bear it was great. There were four stories here really. The first was og Locke and Ben and their last minute heroics to save the island. The time travel element returned and I have to admit that I am still confused, the island seems to be only a few minutes behind the rest of the world. Anyways here we have Locke with all these questions and Ben who is happy to point out how ridiculus his questions are. As he kept on puttign metal objects in the time machine, Locke was just puzzled on everything Ben was doing, which led to Ben killing Keamy despite the fact that it would detonate the explosives on the freighter and kill all onboard. Ben goes to move the island by entering the time chamber and the down a tube in which the tropical setting of the island was replaced by a cold snow covered climate. Why, I have to ask, where exactly did he go? It explains how he just landed in the desert ten months a head of time, but how?

The important things from this arc, is that Locke is now the head of the Others, and Ben can never return to the island.

Jack and the Oceanic Six escape, and the whole thing with the hellicopter running out of gas, and then the tank being shot at, it was very suspenseful. Then Sawyer, jumped off in order to keep the chopper in the air, why Hurley did not jump is not clear, but I feel like it redeemed Sawyer a bit, he tends to make these heroics in the finales. He whispered something into Kate's ear, kisses her and jumps to swim to shore, to find Juliet with a bottle of Dharma rum, as they have no chance now of making it off the island. Whether he chose to stay as Jack said to Kate is not clear, he chose to sacrifice himself, but did so believing he would be rescued later. When they found Penny's boat I was so happy, the reunion of Desmond and Penny was great, per Charlie's inquest she got a boat and headed for the island. Then the Six left, knowing they could never see Desmond and Penny, and Frank again. They then headed for Indonesia where they were eventually discovered and received to become the Oceanic Six.

The third story was that of Michael's who redeemed himself for betraying his friends to leave the island with Walt. He was sacrificed by Christian who said his debt had been filled. Who else thinks that Christian is like the host body for Jacob? Michael has been confirmed to definately be dead, not sure if that goes for Jin as well.

Now onto the craziest story of the episode, the tale of Jeremy Bentham. Jeremy went to visit Jack, Kate and Aaron, Hurley, and Walt, not sure if he visited Desmond, Sun, and Sayid, to inform them that they had to return to the island. This incident is what furthers Jack's downard spiral and the is the reason for his split from Kate and Aaron. Jeremy informed Walt that the Oceanic Six were all lying and that his father was left behind. Jeremy dies and when Jack learns of this he tries to kill himself, these are the events of the Season 3 finale. We pick up when Kate gets into her Volvo to return to Aaron, who misses Jack, she turns around to express her anger with Jack over the information Jeremy provided. Jack returns to the funeral home housing Jeremy's body and is surprised with a visit by Ben. Ben explains that all of them must return to the island, that Jack cannot do it alone, he must get all of the Six, and possibly Walt and Desmond to return to the island, as well as Jeremy Bentham, who is revealed to be John Locke.

In the meantime, Kate has a dream where Claire breaks into her house to visit Aaron and inform her that Aaron must not return to the island. Here are a few problems we will run into.

Kate is legally restricted to the state of California, the punishment for murdering her father, and will be hesistant to bring Aaron back as Claire has instructed her not to.

Sun has used her newly appointed power as Managing Director of her father's powerful Korean industrial company to contact Charles Widmore and strike a deal stating that they have common interests, mainly returning to the island.

Hurley has checked himself into a mental institution because he is being visited by those survivors who died on the island. Although Sayid breaks him out, but it is unclear if Hurley will be willing to return.

Walt is furious with the Oceanic Six for lying to everyone regarding the events of their crash and how they survived and escaped. And Desmond, who seemed to bid farewell to Jack and the others, planning to never see them again, had made it clear to Sayid on the freighter that he spent three years on the island and plans to never return again.

A lot to consider, and I cannot wait for Season 5, I think this finale capped of the season nicely, maybe not as powerful as last year's, it was so excitingly nerve-wracking.
  • Awesome, Love this show! (Note I have reviewed part 2 and 3 the same.)

Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Sun, Aaron, Desmond and Frank Lapidus escape the Island, while Ben and Locke succeed in moving the Island. In flashforwards, the Oceanic Six and Walt react to visits from a man named Jeremy Bentham, who they seem to have some connection with. Oh my god, what can I say about this awesome episode? I mean come on. How good was this season finale, it is my favourite finale on Lost. All the exciting and nerve-wrecking things what happened in this episode. I hope Michael is still alive, I think he might be like Claire now. I felt sorry for Sun, I was nearly crying when Jin was shouting her to come back. How good was it when Ben moved the island. He is one of my favourite characters in this awesome season. I can't believe John is dead too, but I think when they all go back he will be alive again! Hopefully anyway. I can't wait for the next season now, eight months we have to wait I don't think I can wait that long. All in all Lost is the best show and season four final has been the best episode/finale I have ever seen in my life! Bring on season five!
  • Speechless

The Lost creators have delivered the goods again and then some. Watching this show is akin to a movie and the season finale certainly didn't disappoint. We now know how they left the island but for each question answered another one is raised. Who really is Christian? Is Locke really dead? What happened to Claire? The painful fact we now have to wait for Season 5 is a testament to the quality of this show and its strength showing believable flawed human beings in extraordinary circumstances. Now I've seen the episode I am at a total loss what to watch next. Battlestar and Heroes although promising just cannot compete with the level of excitement Lost generates. The only flaw in this episode I felt was guessing who Jeremy was before the coffin was shown but apart from that these 2 episodes were sheer brilliance.
  • This was just amazing!

I like this finale more then any of the others they have had. It revealed a lot a kept some stuff sercert. We see how some people get killed and other survive, and it makes you think if some people are even dead. Though the episode you wounder who's in the casket, I had a felling from the beging that Lock was in there. They he commited suscide, but I think he had to come back home to get the O6 and as soon as he got home he became parlized again and couldn't return. So he knew the only way to go back and bring the others was to kill himself and have them return him. Thats what I think will see I guess next season.
  • Not the best finale in my opinion, but definitely has left me anticipating more in Season 5.

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

How sad it was to watch Sun screaming for the helicopter to go back and pick up Jin. And oh wow, Christian Shepard appearing in front of Michael just as the freighter was about to blow up. If I were Sun, I'd freakin' kick Jack off the chopper. What do you mean it's okay? The dirty work employee of her father's company, the love of her life and the father of her child just died. Jeez. If I was flash-forward Sun, I'd become a cold-blooded-sounding woman as well.

The Orchid is creepier than any other station so far, and it certainly brought me back to the days of The Swan with Locke and Kate first staring down the hole into the hatch. The frozen cave Ben went into to turn the thingy was awesome, although a little a bit too fake for me.

I'm sure Kate's little dream-visit from Claire means much, but I doubt that it does. And when the chopper really did run out of fuel, I really freaked out. But no, they were all alive. Imagine if Desmond had really drowned. How sad that would be for Penny to have them bring her Desmond's corpse. It's a good deal that Frank and Desmond stayed on Penny's boat and the Oceanic 6 as we know them drifted on to some foreign beach.

I think it's a tragic thing, but a real great thing that these people are all brought closer together by disaster. Hurley, Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Sayid are totally different people, yet they know each other so well and trust each so much at this point, that it's touching.

Ben confronting Jack at the funeral parlor was terribly scary. The fact that Sun, Hurley, Sayid and Kate were all not convinced that they should go with Jack back to the island looked hard to swallow. I'm excited to see if and how they manage it. Ben's ideas are always interesting.

But not more interesting than the fact that Locke's corpse must return with them.

So. Sawyer, Juliet, Charlotte, Rose, Bernard and Miles are all still on the beach. Daniel is somewhere out at sea. Locke is leader of Richard and the Others. Claire is with Jacob. Kate, Sayid, Sun and Hurley all seem to be having their own special issues post-island. And Ben and Jack, working together?

Can't wait for season 5. Makes me so proud to have been a fan since the pilot. :)

Oh and WOW, almost forgot to mention the island disappearing. WHAT a trick that was. I really, really wanna see how the writers explain it in the coming seasons.
  • And now what ?

With this final episode, just one thing comes to my mind, and now what?? We will still be seeing the other people that staied in the island ? Why the hell they needed to stay there ? Why do the ones that left have to come back ?
    Why was Locke off the island ? What the hell is that island ? What is Jack's father connection to the island ?

To me this finale brought more questions than answers, like most of lost episodes, but i just think they should have answered more things about the island. So for me that was the down side of this episode.
< 1 2