Lost

There's No Place Like Home (3)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 29, 2008 on ABC

• I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for this review, but here goes anyway: a lot of unbelievable (even for LOST) things happened here.

While I certainly appreciated the writing in this episode where it made sense (Michael Emerson was fantastic as always, and Penny and Desmond's reunion was heartfelt), there were some things that I had inexcusable problems with.

First:

Why didn't Frank check the helicopter before they lifted off? They were in no imminent danger, and after having just been in a gunfight that was in the immediate vicinity of the helicopter, one would think he'd check for problems/holes. I don't buy that they were in a desperate hurry to get off the island--you'd still want to be sure you were good to go. This was simply a sloppily written way to get Sawyer off the helicopter.

Also, when/why did the freighter move, and how did the chopper then find it? Juliet should not have been able to see the ship since they hadn't been able to see it before. Just because there's a fire doesn't mean it's easier to see. It should still have been 80 or so miles away--remember, the guy in part 1 that was manning the vessel wouldn't move it, and it was because the radio frequency of Keamy's explosive device was stopping him from seeing the reef. The human eye can't see a fire's smoke 80 miles away.

Also, that crash into the ocean of the helicopter was very violent. How did everyone survive? The claim that "the island made them survive" seems a bit far for me--why, then, has everyone else who's died in the past seasons also perished? I think if Frank had bit the dust or someone at least been injured, it would have been more believable. And how the heck is Aaron completely okay at that point? It just isn't believable.

Last, I understand why, in the heat of yelling at Jack, Kate would refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham, and why Sayid would call him that as well, if they were being watched/listened to. But why would Walt when talking to Hurley? It seems the writers simply did that to keep up the guise.

Let me be clear that I have no problem with the direction things have gone--I don't think the "move the island" thing or the mysterious wheel are problematic, so long as they're eventually explained. I do, however, take issue when these unrealistic things happen that are supposed to be "real"--not sci-fi or inexplicable. It's just a tad sloppy, especially for Damon and Carlton.