Lost

Three Minutes

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 17, 2006 on ABC

• Just enough time to get a horrifying look

Walt's been missing, save for the occasionally mysterious flash, since the beginning of Season 2, and Michael disappeared into the jungle after him in 'The Hunting Party', which for the first time we are given a date of reference for--- 13 days ago. We've had no idea what has happened to either for the bulk of the season, and Michael's actions in 'Two for the Road' muddied the waters even further. Now, in this episode, we finally learn some of what happened, and a little about the Others -- and what we learn is surprising.

First, what should've seemed obvious earlier is now clear---- Michael was mislead when he was looking at the computer. Someone (perhaps at the Pearl station) lured Michael out with fake directions. When he showed up, 'Mr. Friendly' and a rough looking fellow named Pickett were waiting for him, and took him prisoner. It's hard to tell how many of the Others grabbed him, cause we only see three Pickett, Friendly, and the dark-haired girl from 'Maternity Leave'--- who is identified as Alex. We're still not clear what her role is, but it's interesting that she is the only one who treats the castaways with compassion. She doesn't go along with bringing out Kate when she catches up with them, and her one violent action--- hitting Michael in the head with her gun--- is preceded by an apology. Why is she given this freedom? We're still not clear.

Turns out Michael's description of the village was accurate--- small huts by the water, two guys standing guard by a door, salted fish. What Michael doesn't know is that this wasn't their only hideout, and it was a false front. There still seems to be some kind of hierarchy among the Others, and right now the woman in charge is Miss Klugh, a straightforward, condescending torturer who keeps Michael and Walt apart. She then asks some pertinent questions about Walt, which I would go into detail with, except that Walt's not really going to be a factor in the series not longer. They do seem to be implying that he has some kind of telepathic ability (which we already knew) and still doesn't answer how he was able to manage to project himself and why. No explanation here either.

They keep Michael apart from Walt till the end of the episode (which is roughly a week later) and the scene between the two is heartbreaking. We can tell Michael really did believe that his son was dead. Michael can not touch or talk to his son privately, and his assurances are so pathetic sounding that Walt has to comfort him. What he hears, and seems to even more shocking about the supposed torture Walt was being put through. (This we'll actually learn something about in Season 3) By the end, it's pretty clear that Michael would walk through fire to save his sons life--- which is pretty much what he's done. They want him to save the man in the hatch, and bring four people--- Kate, Jack, Sawyer, and Hurley. (If they wanted these people before, why not take Jack, Sawyer and Kate prisoner when they had them at gun point? And if they wanted Locke--- granted 'Henry' isn't the most reliable source of information--- why not ask for him? We won't get a clear idea until season 3, and even then, it's pretty vague.) Back in the present, Michael's behavior is irrational and panic-stricken. It's hard to believe that Jack would not have noticed how strange he's acting or the people he wants to come with, but he chalks it up to the behavior of a panic-stricken. He also lessens his rigid leading posture, and acts more democratic. Right idea; wrong time. Two men see through the facade. Eko, who has returned to the hatch like he said he would in the last episode, and has his first real conversation with him. He tells a subtle parable about an incident that happened when he was in a parish in England, which means, just like with 'Henry', he has seen through the false faces Sayid also sees through the smokescreen, when he isn't asked to join the army, and realizes that he has been compromised. His reaction is more pointed--- he wants to find a way to get at the Others.

We also see Charlie for the first real extended period since he went out with Sayid and Ana looking for 'Henry's' balloon to see that he is trying to earn redemption, but like everything else he's done this season, it seems ham-handed. First, he takes a vaccine and gives it to Claire, trying to earn forgiveness--- without talking to Jack first. Then, he shows his mean streak when Eko--- who has abandoned the building of the church to take up residence in the hatch--- with disdain and ill humor. Finally, he comes face to face with the statues filled with heroin, and manages at last to overcome the monkey that he's had on his back the last few weeks. (It's also significant that Locke sees this). The main thing people do during this episode is plan and mourn in there own ways. Sawyer's helps plan a chance to 'kill some people' as he puts us, but also opens up to Jack, and admits he screwed Ana Lucia, and that the good doctors the closest thing he has to a friend. Hurley takes the loss extremely hard, and seems defeated for most of the episode, and his intent to come along the hunt for Walt may indicate he needs a purpose (or maybe that they've awakened the sleeping giant) Sayid and Jack try to find a way to use Michael's behavior to his advantage. And the island's disciples--- Locke and Eko--- both stand apart from the funeral. Eko, even though he knew Libby and Ana longer, thinks that he now has a higher purpose, while Locke, perhaps feeling ashamed in what he assumes is his part in their deaths, watches from a distance. (Perhaps the island is giving him a purpose, though--- by the end of the episode his injured leg has healed.)

But by far the most significant event of 'Three Minutes' occurs at the very end, when a sailboat appears on the horizon. The castaways will not find rescue from the boats occupants--- not yet, anyway--- but the boat will signify a critical factor, not just for the season finale, but for the series as a whole.
    My score:8.5