Lost

Through the Looking Glass (1)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• YES! the surviors finally kill a buch of those Others, Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok sorry about that, let me try that again.

This episode is a two parter and better yet its a two parter season finale so their always good and filled with development.
    Now while thats the case the first part of the two parters are usually just set up for the second half. Not much happens in most cases it's alot of talking, reserving the fighting and the juicie scence for the second half.

The action scenes for this episode happen a little after the begining and end their as well (aside from Charlie being beaten up by two hot ladies). But it's wwhat happens in those short action scens that really mean alot to me, and it's not the effects its who gets hurt or in this case blown to bits!

Ok let me go back a bit and explain myself before you think i'm a pyro maniac. The Others are coming to raid the Surviors camp and kidnap all of their pregnate women and babies. they'll know where they are because their double adgent Juliet will have the tents marked. But Juliet turns out to be a double-double adgent and tells Jack what the Other's leader (Ben Lieanus) has ordered her to do. Jack comes up with a diabolic (and un-charecteristic) idea of putting dynimite in decoy tents and having Juliet mark them, so when the Others come to raid the tents, expecting to find valnerble pregnate women or helpless babies, they'll insted be blow to bits. And it worked to about(my guess any way)a dozenof them blew up!

Now here's the part were I explain why this Thrills me and why I'm writing this review based of it. Well it's really quite simple, i Hate those Hypocrite, Murdering, Mind games playing Others! Here are the reason's why I hate them (aside from Alex, Juliet and Karl)
    First of all they are so self absorbed and so full of themselves (now i know thats everyone on a reality show) they think that they are good and right and everyone else (off the island) is Eviland wrong, now thats psycologically a correct way of thinking when your on differnt sides. But these people started a war with plane crash victims, for no reason other then they thought they were a threat and could get their island discovered.Which is stupid since these people have lived on the island for many yearsso they shouldknow it's not a normal island! So logicly it will be impossible to find! Espeacially from a plane that went off corse and lost raido conact before they crashed.
    Second: They are Kidnapping People and forceing them to stay on the island Forever. Now I can understandwhy their doing it to pregnate women, cause women who get prgnateon the island die But I do not suport their twisted logic for raising the babies as their own and killing the birth mothers!
    Third I really hate big over confident people who act like nothing can touch them so they screw with you when ever they like, and these guys are all talk, in this season we have discoved that only a few of them are truely hard core like Ethan (Juilet is one of them) so seeing them get owned like that and having their plan fall to dust was quite satisfying.

These people act like their all that but they don't even understand all of the mysteries of the island! not even their leader Ben know's more then the basic Lost fan. And why couldn't they just give the surviors a small moter boat (like with mike and walt) or i know why not give them a trip in your secret Sub and dump them on an island closer to rescue! Who will belive anything they say, the world will think their like Tom Hanks in the Castaway!

so this was a good episode and a good start to the season fianlly. I'll write a more detailed review of this two parter later, I don't want to spoil it for you just wanted to point out the best part in my opion.
    It's like sweet revenge. Sweet, Sweet, Explosion Revenge

• I'd wager that this is the greatest season finale of all time (series finales not included).

I'd wager that this is the greatest season finale of all time (series finales not included). Whenever someone asks me for an example of a classic season closer, I give them "Through The Looking Glass". Not only did we get a game-changing twist and fun new catchphrase ("We have to go back, Kate!") but we got more action and adventure than a major motion picture. This was the only time I wanted to call Time Warner Cable to thank them for their service.

We said goodbye to a favorite character and the story progressed in some major ways. Under the skilled direction of Jack Bender, LOST was always a show that was fun to watch. "Through The Looking Glass" wasn't only fun, it was mind-blowing. Just writing about the episode caused my jaw to unhinge and sink to the floor.
  • WHAT THE...

Wow! As much as I saw the ending coming (I knew it was a flashforward), I was still so shocked while watching it! This was in my opinion, the second greatest LOST episode ever! It was very emotional. I was in tears when I thought Bernard, Sayid, and Jin were just killed. Charlie's death was so sad! That ending has to be the best ending of LOST that I've ever seen! It was perfect! Charlie was hilarious while he was singing! That made my night! Hurley's van scene was classic! This episode raised so many questions. Who was in the coffin? Why was Jack about to commit suicide? Who does Kate have to get home to? And what's the deal with Naomi's boat?! Ahh, so many questions, and we have to wait 9 months just to get some answers!!! This will be a very difficult wait!
  • Do you people that rate these episodes a 10 even WATCH the episode?

Once again, Lost fails to deliver. After all the type ABC gives this show, it drops the ball again. Remember the "Three of the island's biggest mysteries revealed!" episode? And then it didn't reveal anything? Once again, I was lured into getting excited about this episode with false promises.

Once again, zero answers, and dozens more questions. And instead of waiting a week or two to find out what might happen, they expect me to wait until next year? We'll see if anyone will be watching then.

Truly a disappointment. Last season will forever be my favorite television season.
  • Hate to say it, but yeah, this is the episode that changes everything

And here we are at the end of the season. When I initially watched this episode, I was somewhat disappointed because I'd heard certain things about it that weren't true. I'd heard that the flashback would tell us what Jack did during the week he was held by the Others before Kate and Sayid came to 'rescue' him. Obviously, that didn't happen. They also told us that a lot of major characters were going to die, and while some did, the body count was low (actually I'm grateful for that). But mostly it was because of what we saw in the 'flashback'. By now, anyone whose been a loyal follower of the show knows what I'm talking about, but I'm going to continue my role and reveal only what I saw at the time.

The episode is Jack centric, but if you're trying to figure out when this happened, it's pretty hard. We can tell that Jack looks even worse than he did in any other time in his past, only now he's still tossing back pills to go with the drinking. He's grown a the somewhat infamous 'beard', and he spends all of the flashes looking like he's in a state of near collapse, though he's trying to remain normal. Hell, let's call a spade a spade--- Jack's become his father, drunk, belligerent, and trying to do his job when he's in no condition to do so. His ex-wife (who is obviously pregnant) wants nothing more to do with him, and he seems positively loathe to call himself a hero. When he sees an article in the paper (we'll come back to this) it's the final blow. We can tell he's done, and when we see him on the bridge in the teaser, it takes all of his effort to get off the bridge and pull people out of the wreckage. What we can't figure out yet is what has brought him to this state (and we won't learn until Season 4), but he looks beaten.

The episode begins just a short while after the last one. Sayid has more determination than we've seen all season.--- the soldier prepared to lead his troops into battle. He orders that no matter what happens that Jack and his group keep moving towards the radio tower--- and you know that's not going to happen. Something's going to go wrong. We just don't know what.

Under water, Charlie is being beaten severely by the two women under the station--- their names are Bonnie and Greta, Bonnie is particularly brutal and they want answers. Charlie seems particularly relaxed--- particularly when he sees the flashing bulb that Desmond described in his final vision-- and is more than willing to talk. This is actually a good thing because it forces them to transmit to Ben--- who is not at all glad to hear from them.

Ben's authority has been spiraling out of control, and now it really begins to uncurl. He has been lying to everybody about this, and when radio silence is broken, he's in pretty bad shape with his people. When he learns about this, he realizes Juliet has betrayed them, and radios his people on the beach--- and it's almost too late. Sayid and Bernard fire swift and sure; Jin doesn't (he still manages to kill two of them anyway). Tom and two others survive by pure luck, and manage to capture them. Bernard, not wanting to see his friends die, tells them everything, and Ben learns just how broken his own house truly is. He tries to maintain command---- he sends Mikhail down to the Looking Glass, orders Richard to continue to the temple (what the hell is that?) and prepares to intercept the survivors before they reach the radio tower. But now his schemes are falling apart. Richard, who was losing faith before, is now openly disturbed, and Alex demands to go with her father, and he agrees to take her--- too quickly, actually.

When the survivors hear only two explosions, they know something has gone wrong, and it isn't long before several of them demand to return. Rose and Sun, not surprisingly, are the most open about it, but they are willing to relent when Jack tells them to keep moving. Kate, however, is more persistent. As is her custom, she flip-flops between the men in her life. She goes to Sawyer, because she knows that Jack won't listen. He refuses to help her, and remains very cold to her, though he doesn't say why. Sawyer then tells Jack he's going back to help, and then tells Kate he didn't agree because he didn't want to go back with her. (Ouch.) Juliet then agrees to go back, lying about a cache of guns, because she wants to help. It's hard to understand why she'd want to, but she clearly feels she owes her. And then after they head back, Hurley comes up behind them demanding to help. Just like Charlie did, Sawyer says (in surprisingly gentle terms) that he'd just get in the way. What we don't know is that Hurley has just about had enough of this.

Back at the rowboat, Desmond regains consciousness, only to find himself dodging bullets when Mikhail begins shooting at him. With nowhere else to go, he dives after Charlie and has the good fortune to make it back when Bonnie and Greta are bickering over what to do with him. By now Bonnie clearly wants to kill him, and is only stopped when Mikhail emerges from the briny deep. (Where he got the scuba gear is yet another question the show doesn't answer. Then again; they had to have a way to get to the Station without the submarine.) He's clearly stunned to see them, and even more appalled to learn that Ben has been jamming the signal without anyone else's knowledge. He takes a very long time between the transmissions, and it's clear that he has lost faith in Ben, if he ever had any.

I think we left someone out--- oh yeah, Locke. He finally regains consciousness in the pit where Ben left him for dead. Now, every time Locke regains consciousness after he has fallen, the first thing he checks are his legs. This time, they fail him, and he feels the greatest despair he's felt on the island, at least since his misjudgment led to the destruction of the hatch. He finds the energy to pick up his gun, find a bullet in the chamber, and press it to his forehead. But a split second before he pulls the trigger Walt appears in a vision and orders him to get out of the ditch. For the first time in a long time a smile crosses Locke's face. It probably wasn't the real Walt (for one thing, he was quite a bit taller and had a deeper voice than the last time Locke saw him) but it is a message, and Locke clearly believes it.

Quite a lot of business going on in the first part of 'Through the Looking Glass'. Turns out, the biggest shocks of the season are still to come, and there will be blood and twists galore. They sure know how to end a season.
    My score: 9
  • PART 1!!!

Objective - » What are important for the Season Finale? The best Tension and The Best drama possible to be delivered. This is what people can remember later and rate it an 10. All the players are in their position.

Flashbacks -» Well, here I am Lost, waiting for the second part, because all this presentation seems very strange, if this is Jack flashback, then he is not acting like himself. The writers are hiding something (waiting for the second part).

Event on The Island -» The action was awesome. Things get more complicated when Ben Know about everything about Jack Plan.

Charlie and Desmond -» Charlie situation gets more complicated and interesting.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Nothing that I could Notice.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Because of the tension, You can´t notice that there are scenes that just are there to buy time, ok, maybe Jack Supposed 3 flashbacks scenes.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold. The ending will blow you mind. There are some twists too.

4 - Action: Gold. This is a War, expect deaths and many shots and explosions.

5 - Funny: Gold. Rose comments.

6 - Drama: Gold. Maybe the goodbye between Jin and Sun. Hugo and Sawyer interaction. What Jack said to Kate. What Locke tried to do to himself.

7 - Tension/Suspense: Gold. Exactly what you can Expected from the Season Finale of Lost. You want to Know who will die in This War, and there are deaths, From which side?

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold. The supposed Jack Flashback provide so many doubts. You want to Know the result of this War. Even Charlie deserves you concern.

This is the Season Finale part 1, so as all Lost Fans can expect, only Jack Strange Flashbacks is not exciting, however they don´t interfere with the experience that this episode offers.
  • A Jack-centric episode.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. I absolutely love the fact that the show is doing flash-forwards now. I think that was a really cool idea on the writers' part. I really enjoyed getting to see what happens to Jack after he gets off the island. I really enjoyed Charlie's story line in this episode. Sawyer's story line was great too. I also loved Juliet and Sawyer's interaction with each other in this episode. I was really shocked when Jack and Juliet kissed each other. I didn't see that coming at all. All in all, I thought that this was an incredibly well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch part two of the season finale so I can find out how the season ends.
  • The finale that changes everything. Only read if you've seen part 2.

The Man Behind the Curtain made us reconsider the mythological plot of the show. This finale on the other hand makes us reconsider the whole god damn SHOW.

The greatest twist and execution, ever, on television... right here.

As the war with the Others begin, the losties, apart from the shooters head to the radio tower to get rescued. The episode is basically a giant trek, but unlike Catch 22, this episode manages to make it exciting and surprise filled.

Let's start with the very ending. Because, the ending of the episode actually makes you want to go back to the beginning and rewatch the thing with the perspective you just gained.

All of the Jaco "flashbacks" in this episode are actually... flashforwards. Flashforwards of him being off the island. BAM. They actually did it. At the end of the 3rd season they THEY DID! Jack and Kate are guaranteed to be off the island.... which means this episode is the most epic ever. How many of you thought that the series finael would be a trek to the actual rescue? I think many of you did. I did. Well, we didn't have to wait until the series finale.

As flashbacks, Jack's flashes were not too exciting. But as flashforwards - holy crap. Why is he depressed? Why is he drinking alcohol like his father used to? Why he and Kate are not so friendly anymore? Who Kate has to "go back" to? Why does Jack want to go back to the island? Why do they have to lie about where they were? Holy... crap.................

Another set of memorable moments:

-Walt appears to Locke(most likely as Jacob)

"You have work to do."

WOW. So the island wants Locke to live!

-Locke throws a knife into Naomi's back!!!!!!

WHAT THE FRAK! Did you ever think Locke would do that? I didn't... and he did it..... wow.

-The takedown of the others

Hurley and the Dharmavan. 'Nuf said.

-Jack's and Ben's conversation.

What a gem of a dialouge. Ben basically KNEW Jack would end up the way he ended up. He had nothing to leave the island for. He had MORE on the island than outside it! He had friends. Love. Leadership. Outside the island? None. Only work.

-Charlie dying.

I was crying. That's it. Greatest hit made me tear up, but this... holy **** hell.... Charlie died in the most heroic way possible.... what a scene... I nominate this to be the saddest death of all time. ALL TIME. I think all considered, this episode is pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to Lost. The writers truly proved it finally. They're creative, brave, and definitely know what they are doing.

We have to go back, Kate!
    We have TO GO BACK!
  • We have the ambush going sort of wrong, we have Ben going to intercept the group heading for the tower. We have Charlie being questioned in the underwater station, trying to meet his destiny head on.

This episode starts with a heavily bearded Jack, on aplane journey to LA, he gets refused a drink as he has probably had enough and she says they will be landing soon. She gives him a paper instead, where he reads an obit from it. He looks unhappy as it tears it from the paper. The we see him driving his car to a bridge, then calling a number and telling it that he's just read the paper. He gets out of his car, climbs onto a wall, stares down and then asks for forgiven, we hear a crash off screen, he gets down and goes to help the victims.

Jacks walks the beach, looks at Kate and is getting them all ready for their hike to the radio tower. Rose before leaving Bernhard gets him to say out loud to her that he's a dentist and not Rambo. The survivors leave the beach, with the trio of snipers behind to inflict the damage. A little further on, Naomi asks Jack if she can be trusted, meaning Juliet, as no one is saying anything nice about her, Jack ignores the comments and is told how to operate it, just in case anything happens to her.

In the meantime, Charlie is being beaten for information and his smart alex comments about an invisible submarine get another punch from Bonny, when asked about how he knew about the station, he says Juliet, the girls decide to call Ben and they leave him tied to a chair as they call him, he sees the room they enter and the flashing light, its where he needs to go.

Ben wants to know why they are breaking radio silece, they explain that one of the others is down here, he asks who and Charlie shouts his name at them, which Ben hears, he directs Mikhael to the station, he says that its flooded, Bens admits he lied, but Mikhael says if Juliet told them that what else did she tell them.

A small group of others is near the beach shelters, they have spotted the ones marked, made sure that all walkies are off, just as Ben was trying to get hold of them, small groups of others go towards the marked tents, Sayid shoots the dynamite and then Bernhard does but Jin's not able to shoot his before he is captured and the others are captured too.

Further up towards the tower the hikers notice the 2 explosions, raise questions about why there wasn't 3, Jack explains that perhaps only 2 was needed, he will ask them when they catch upto them.

charlie gets asked why is in the station and he explains that he is here to switch off the jammer, she asks him if he has the code, which he doesnt know, then he says he will find out, turn off the jammer and then get his friends saved. If it is flooded then what happens to Charlie, he says he dies. Ben gets a message from Tom saying that 7 of them are dead, they captured 3 of them, names them and asks if he wants them killed, not yet, but only after Bernhard has told them that Karl warned them and that they were heading to the tower.

Des awakes on the boat, gets shot at, dives in and swims down to where Charlie is, who warns him to hide, which he does, he pretends to the gitls that he was just singing. They go back to the radio but then they hear him again, but this time see Mikhael surface, they get to ask each others questions and he radios Ben for instructions.

Sawyer and Juliet leave the group but go back towards the beach in order to find the others, or their fate, as they are long overdue to catch up, Jack says there is nothing they can do as they are unarmed, but Juliet says she knows of a stash of guns near the beach they can use. Later she admits to lying, when asked why, she says that Jack would not allow them to come here unarmed.

Alex talks to Ben half way there, she gets told that he did those things to Karl for her sake as he did not want her to get pregnant whilst on the island, then she asks why he allowed her to come, he says to deliver you to your new family. Lastly Locke wakes to find himself in the pit of bodies, unable to move his legs, but he reaches for one of their weapons and is in the process of shooting himself in the head when Walt appears to him telling him he has work to do.
  • nerve racking

In this double-length episode, Jack's plan to kill the Others backfires, and Sayid, Jin, and Bernard are held hostage by the Others at the beach. Led by Rousseau, the castaways travel to the radio tower to turn off Rousseau's transmission. Naomi makes contact with her boat, but is stabbed by Locke, who along with Ben, believes that the survivors are making a mistake. Charlie makes contact with Penny Widmore in the underwater Dharma station, but drowns when the station is flooded by Mikhail. Sawyer, Juliet, and Hurley rescue the castaways at the beach. Instead of flashbacks, flashforwards feature Jack's miserable life after rescue from the island. Brilliant episode with plenty going on, loved the Charlie storyline the best.
  • Whoa !! Action,Adventure, death with a little pinch or romance makes this first part of the finale spectacular !

Absolutely loved it. The plan fails when Jin misses the tent and seven out of ten of the other's people are killed but three are left. The three include Tom who has been one of the important others throughout the season. After trying to kill the remaining three Jin is captured and then Sayid gets a gun pointed to his head so Sayid,Jin and Bernard are now all tied up. Jack and everyone else get worried that only two explosions happened when three were supposed to happen so Kate wants to go back but Jack dosen't let her. Then Sawyer demands that he goes back and Juliet wants to go with him. Hurley follows wanting to help them but Sawyer insults him instead of letting him come with them. Ben and Alex go to the radio tower to try and stop Jack and everyone from contacting Naomi's boat because they say it's Naomi's people who are the bad guys. Juliet and Jack kiss for the very first time which was so great and Jack tells Kate he loves her which I didn't expect because he is with Juliet now. Really great first part of the finale !!! Favorite character from this episode : Bernard !! It was so hilarious how he opened his mouth and told the others everything. Great stuff !!! :)
  • The sad, the bad, the happy, the mysterious, the confused, the dead, LOST

This will be a duplicate review for Through The Looking Glass parts 1 and 2. They will be the exact same thing, right down to the periods.

There are flashfowards to Jack. He is a broken man who is hooked on perscription drugs and is a drunk. He attempts to commit suicide. He ends up saving the lives of two people. A doctor tries to help him, but it doesn't work. He calls up Kate and tells them that they have to go back to the island.

Charlie is captured by the two women inside the hatch. They contact Ben and he sends Mikhail. Mikhail sees Desmond and shoots at him. Desmond dives under and gets there but hides. Mikhail talks to Ben and follows the orders to kill Charlie and the two women. Desmond kills Mikhail after Mikhail manages to kill one woman and injure the other. Charlie gets the code from the living woman and she dies. Charlie gets in contact with Penny. He asks about Naomi and she doesn't know anything about her. Desmond notices Mikhail is missing. Mikhail appears outside of Charlie's window and blows it open. Charlie shuts the door so Desmond won't drown. He writes "Not Penny's boat" on his hand and shows Desmond. Charlie then drowns.

Jack and everyone else head up to the radio tower. Naomi tells Jack how to work the phone just in case. They are worried when they only see two explosions.

Sayid, Jin and Bernard stay behind to kill the Others. The Others come and go toward the tents. Sayid takes the first shot and hits it! Bernard takes the second shot and also hits it! Jin has trouble with his pistol and the Others get him. Bernard tries to help, but the Others get him too. Sayid is also captured, but they managed to kill 7 of the Others. They contact Ben and Ben tells them to make them talk. Bernard spills it. The Others tell Ben.

Kate wants to go back for Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Sawyer decides to go, but he doesn't want Kate with him. Juliet goes instead, but before she does, she kisses Jack. Kate is jealous, but when Jack talks to Kate, he tells her that he loves her. Sawyer and Juliet are on their way when Hurley wants to help. Sawyer says no.

Ben quickly starts planning how to stop Jack. Alex goes with him to stop them from getting to the radio tower. They encounter Jack and Ben and Jack talk. Alex also meets her mother, Danielle. Ben threatens to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. He then orders Tom to kill them. There are three shots fired on the walkie talkie. Ben doesn't want Jack to contact the freighter. Jack beats Ben to a pulp. They proceed to the radio tower.

Locke is about to end it all, but suddenly, Walt stops him and tells him to get up.

Saywer and Juliet arrive at camp. It turns out that the Otheres lied to Ben about killing Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Hurley then comes with the van and kills an Other. Sayid kills another. Saywer then kills Tom. They are all safe.

At the radio tower, Naomi gets a signal because of Charlie. They stop Danielle's transmission. Naomi is contacting them, but Locke kills her. He tells Jack not to call, but Jack does it anyway.

This was an amazing episode of Lost! I was really sad when Charlie died. Even though I didn't really like him as much throughout the series, this really did affect me. The flashfowards were pretty good, especially the last one, but nothing really grabbed me there. Sawyer was so mean to Hurley and Hurley just wanted to help! I really felt sorry for Hurley at that point. I didn't want Jack to contact the freighter. I don't even know what to think! As for couples, I want Jack and Juliet together and Kate and Sawyer together! Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, now why'd you go and tell the Others the whole plan? That was so dumb! I'm still sad about Charlie. I hope Desmond remembers to give Charlie's "greatest hits" to Claire. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!
  • Part one of my review, basically it's my "Stairway to Heaven".

With the theme of The Others this season, it would've been likelier to have Ben or Juliet as the focus of the flashbacks, fleshing out unanswered questions we've had about The Others. Considering Jack's last flashback was the weakest episode of the season, it may be expected to go into this episode with some skepticism or confusion regarding their choice. However, weeks before this episode aired, Cuse and Lindelof made a deal with ABC to set a definitive end date for the series. This unusual move allows them to plan a proper end of the show rather than prolonging it as "The X-Files" did. With 48 episodes left, it was time to set up the next phase in the story, where things start to move towards the climax. Throwing in a major game changer like the final twist is such a dramatic gesture. It's appropriate that Jack, who for all intents and purposes is the main character, be the one explored at this pivotal time in the series.

The twist's fitting because the way events played out, this almost could've been a series finale. The tensions between the castaways and The Others come to a head as three seasons worth of storylines and character development culminate in explosive battles and major resolutions. Considering the unanswered questions remaining, something had to change to keep the story fresh. If they didn't know how much longer they had to keep the show going, perhaps the new element wouldn't have been introduced, but instead held off for longer than it should. Just when we think we know where the show is going, they throw a major curve ball no one saw coming.

Matthew Fox has a lot to work with in this episode. He plays everything from suicidal depression to victorious euphoria so well. Typically the acting praise glory goes to Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson, or an impressive newcomer like Elizabeth Mitchell (well deserved in all three cases). However, Fox steps up and delivers his best work on the show so far, and thankfully it's been recognized (not by the stupid Emmys though).

Jack's defining characteristic is his messiah complex. He must suffer to save or to fix everyone he meets. It's what drives him to suicidal depression when he reads the mysterious clipping, as well as what snaps him out of it when the woman crashed her car with her son inside as well. Then it gets worse when he sees the extent of damage she suffered because, as he later learns, he distracted her. This comes in contrast to the present situation, where Jack is in control, leading his people, as Naomi points out, like Moses. His focus as leader has never been sharper as the goal couldn't be clearer With Karl's warning forcing the castaways to rework their plan on the beach, failure seemed inevitable for the survivors hoping to kill or capture The Others invading the beach. There are further hints of dooming the castaways, with Jin saying (in English) that they needed to go home, or the light hearted reminder Rose gave Bernard that he "is not Rambo". Ultimately this is proven true, although they do take seven down before getting captured. Of course the other castaways don't know that, and panic starts to arise. Jack manages to get everyone to stick with the original plan without saying "live together, die alone", which Rose awesomely warns warrants a punch in the face.

I would've liked to seen more about Juliet's perspective on what happened. While she turned against The Others, she was still one of them for three years and had grown close to at least some of them. Because she turned, many of them are dead. Juliet's loyalties will be one to watch when the freighter arrives. She aligns herself with whoever can get her off the island to see her sister, or at least whoever can help her sister when she was sick. If many of the castaways side with the philosophy that the people on the freighter are bad, maybe she'll betray the castaways in favor of getting home.

There are a few moments that twist the romantic quadrangle. Juliet and Jack have formed a romance, which is hardly a surprise. Why none of the castaways who've questioned his judgment have brought it up before is still unclear. Then he admits to Kate that he loves her. As he did in "I Do", Jack is willing to let Kate be with someone else who makes her happy (having someone himself makes that easier). One thing of note is that Jack's confession appears in the second part when it aired and on its downloadable counterpart, but was changed for the DVD (which stupidly split the episode in two unlike "Exodus II & III" and "Live Together, Die Alone").

Sawyer's emotional state since killing the man he blamed for ruining his life wasn't explored coming in, but this episode fully delves into Sawyer's darkness. Revenge negated all the progress he made. Going back to the beach for Jin, Bernard and Sayid is more of a death wish than a heroic gesture, even mocking those who want to help. The two most obvious examples are Kate and Hurley. Sawyer's distancing Kate (ironically by not nicknaming her). Rejecting Hurley just adds to what happened in the last episode, only Sawyer did this to make Hurley feel as bad as he did. The exception is Juliet, who is the only person who could get Jack to allow them to go. Following up on the cliffhanger, the two women in The Looking Glass (Greta and Bonnie) are The Others helping Ben jam all signals coming from the island. One would imagine if they had more time they would've been further explored as tools in Ben's operation. There is something in the good cop (Greta) and bad cop (Bonnie) that would've been nice to see more of, especially since the two are played by recognizable guest TV actors.

Believing his death imminent, Charlie faces them fearlessly, which clearly doesn't work for Bonnie. Considering all the upper hands The Others have had against the castaways, it's refreshing to see them frustrated. Charlie isn't afraid to die anymore, so The Others have no leverage.

The Others' mission to "The Temple" sounds intriguing, but may be just a way to rewrite around real life conflicts. Nestor Carbonell, who plays Richard Alpert, took a job on another show. Since no other prominent Others are going with him, it's the best way to get him out of the story without killing him off, since his story is yet to be told. There's no way the fans would let them get away with revealing that Richard hasn't aged a day in at least a quarter century without an eventual answer. It'll be best to be patient to see how this ends.

Ben offers some insight into the secretive nature of The Others' society. It makes sense that they are out to protect the island from most outsiders and that those on the freighter pose the greatest threat to the island. This explains a good amount of the antagonism they've had towards the castaways, their conflict with the Dharma Initiative and why Ben is deathly afraid of Naomi and the castaways making contact with the outside world. The castaways didn't have a choice in their arrival, so The Others took select ones and made what they could out of it. However, the freighter is a whole different beast in that they're actively looking for it. This island has many special things, but why The Others need, or feel the need, to "protect" it has yet to be explained.

Ben's secrecy regarding many of his duplicitous activities shows his desire to assert his power, but actually the episode shows how he is losing power dramatically and is clinging to whatever he had left. This has been so since he found out he was sick. On an island that miraculously heals a person's paralysis, sterility or cancer, that the person who supposedly had a close communion with the island would be exempt is enough to get people wondering whether their leader is a false prophet.

Since "The Man From Tallahassee", Locke has been challenging Ben's status as leader. Locke gained celebrity among the Others for his miraculous recovery from paralysis in contrast to Ben's sickness. Ben knew the threat was real when Jacob communicated with Locke, so he shot Locke and left him for dead. With Ben having lost his status and The Others' muscle decimated, it wouldn't be hard to imagine Jacob using Walt to help Locke protect the island from the threat of those preparing to arrive.

Alternatively, the other major presence of visions on the island has been a by product of The Monster. This could mean several different things. The Monster could be operating with a different agenda than Jacob, or maybe they are the same entity, or The Monster is a "pet" of Jacob's. Jacob doesn't appear to be able to actively influence things, so he has people like Ben do his bidding or maybe will use The Monster as his muscle. If the Monster is really a security system as Rousseau describes it, then it should be interesting to see how it reacts to the freighter.

Early in the season, Boone arrived in a vision to help Locke get back on track. As he contemplates ending his life, it makes sense for another vision to talk him off the ledge. It all goes back to the people he tried to connect to the island back in the first season. Malcolm David Kelly clearly is in the midst of puberty and that can't be hidden anymore no matter how they shoot it. Regardless of that, or the usability of a gun that has been exposed to a tropical environment for years, this scene effectively raises the stakes for the second part. With all that's going on, Locke is now another x factor.

Having Walt appear again could be a sign of things to come. Producers made no attempt to hide the fact that Michael would be returning as a lead character in season four, (the producers of "24" did something similar with the promotional material for their seventh season). Perhaps Walt and Michael, after being shipped away in the second season finale, encountered the freighter, and may have told them of the island's existence. It's unlikely Kelly will be featured much because of his growth spurt, but the device at the end of the two parter could allow them to bring Walt back into the story, which is important considering how much they emphasized his role in the first two seasons.
  • A very good episode.

So, the ambush fails when Jin(I think) misses his mark on the dynamite, and they end up killing 7 of the Others, probably not important ones though. I really thought they were going to kill Jin, but I guess Bernard isn't the tight-lipped type either. So now they know everything.

Juliet was pretty cool in this episode even when she didn't get much screen time. I feel so at peace with the Jack and Juliet couple, though. Yay, they kissed. It was really smooth of her to go with Sawyer even when there weren't guns. I also feel bad for Hurley after that scene. I wonder what they're going to do with Juliet, or if she's going to talk her way out of it.

Jack still leading it is good, but the whole I love you thing to Kate made me belch. Charlie with the little singing thing was cool, the code made it eerie. Can't wait to see the next part... now!
  • kate

het is super goed. ik vind het heel goed wat de schrijvers gemaakt hebben ook vind ik dit minder want ik wil gewoon die aflevering kijken zonder dat mensen erst gaan vragen om een review te schrijven van 100 woorden dat is toch belachelijk. maar goed ik wil het wel doen hoor.
    hoe moet ik trouwens een review schrijven als ik de aflevering niet eens heb gezien moet een review niet nadat je een aflevering hebt gezien! ik vind het denk ik erg spannend en ik hoop dat het niet met een heel erg groot open einde achterblijft en ik zal het wel zien
  • Loved it.

• One amazing episode that leaves the viewer with the best hour of television he or she has ever witnessed!

(spoiler alert)Wow. this episode was amazing. Through The looking glass was the first episode in the whole series of LOST to contain a (spoileralert) flashforward!! Jack's future looks very depressing and apparently they should have never left the island. "We have to go back!" It was an intense episode, Jack beat the hell out of Ben (who in my opininon completely deserved it), we had to say goodbye to our favorite rock star druggy Charlie, Hurley got to run over that annoying "other" and we got to see another DHARMA station that had bad ass written all over it because it was under water, blocking signals and not to mention the bad ass himself,Mikhail Bkunin, swam down to take a harpoon to the chest (survive it) and blow up a window with a grenade and kill a main character. Also, Walt returned and our survivors found "rescue" or what they think is rescue.......LOST
  • Amazing sequence of actions.

Super ending for this season. The way they think they are over a problem again and they think they have change over their enemies and they go to war (reminded me a Jericho), but it is never this way and Ben, after he has made his actions towards Locke (I hope he is alive), has no intentions to wait. The excitement, knowing that Ben is coming, knowing that Looking Glass has informed him that Charlie is there and Mihkail (who seems to be another not dying character) is going there. The events on that station, Desmond there... it all is just leading were he promised... but some things are different...

and some going back... and the plan did not worked and three who was left back were captured... it did not looked so promising for them but it was super story, super moments.. super episode. I wish i could have watched it some other time not after midnight as for morning I have the emotion what it left but not clear memory of what exactly happened.
  • Emotional.

Usually I dislike this kind of storyline. I watch this show for the mystery and action, not for the relationship things.
    However, this one was really out of the ordinary. The editors chose the right good flashbacks, and mied them perfectlly with the bad ones. The music was a perfect match, and (not as usual) I wanted to keep watching what's going on with charlie, and leave the mystery salving for some other time.

This episode is so good I'm writing this review about a year after i saw it, just because i saw its name on the list, and I rememberd.

Thi is a watchble episode even for those who hadn't watched lost from the beggining.

EXTRAORDINARY!
  • Greatest episode ever!

Through The Looking Glass was an incredibly awesome episode of LOST. So much action, drama, and emotion packed into one episode. The whole episode kept me on the edge of my seat. I about couldn't wait through the commercials! I thought it was so sad when Charlie drowned. I was honestly in tears!! It was so amazingly and emotionally done. Poor Charlie. :( I liked the storyline with Jack and company hiking to the tower. That was great. And also Sayid, Jin, and Bernard at the beach. That was so action packed. I thought it was funny and epic when Hurley ran over that Other with the bus! Classic! And when Bernard said, "I am a dentist I am not Rambo" I was laughing!!!!! And the end was WOW! A flashforward!?!? WOAH!
  • Its been a shaky season, but now i think Lost can get back on course...

If i were to describe this episode in one word, it would be "Outstanding." After a season which has seen the show lose a great deal of viewers for such reasons as "not enough answers" and "not enough screentime" this episode camne along and made up for what has been a dissapointing season. The story was fantastic, picking up from where greatest hits left off, as Jack prepares to lead the survivors to the radio tower. The episode started off in a surprising way, as I thought we were going to be sat watching yet another jack flashback rather than a much more important character. The twist at the end of the episode, when we find out that we are actually watching a flashforward into Jacks future was amazing, credit to the writers for pulling off this "Gamechanger" in a brilliant manner. This episode was filled with plenty of action, mystery, twists and humour, and it really has brought the series back to its deserved status as the number one show on TV today.
  • Amazing!

The others come and kidnap Jin, Sayid and Bernard, while Ben makes his way up to the radio tower with Alex to stop the survivors from getting rescued. Mikhali is sent to kill Charlie down in the looking glass but it turns violent as he betrays Ben and kills off the two women Desmond is still hiding. The gun shots when we thought Sayid and the other two were dead was very very sad, but people will die. They end up being OK when Hugo saves the day by killing the last members of those others using the old van! It was incredible, for once Oceanic flight 815 beat the others but deep down we know it's not over. The only thing that really let this episode down were those horrendous flashbacks or should I say flashforwards of Jack. They sucked, I hated them. And what about Niomi she is bad, a liar who should be killed and was later on. But the whole thing was full-on action, loved it! The part where Mikhali was speared and killed, I didn't believe he was dead because on 'Par Avion' he managed to survive the electric fence thingy., the guy is scary but cool.
  • Very dark mood in some scenes

I enjoyed the plot and for once I feel that a definitive answer was given on this show hahaha.

We find out abit about Ben and where the Others came from. Also we see what happened to The Dharma Initiative. Ben and Locke go to see Jacob which was very strange a bit of a plot twist when Jacob is revelaed.

Overall this episode was very revealing and thats what I like in shows when it is needed. We get to know Ben on a more intimate level and discover some secrets about his past. The flashbacks to Jack were disorientating but its still a great installment and really keeps the pace up. Very dramatic episode.
  • Excellent episode!

Through the Looking Glass [Part 1] ! An amazing episode!
    Charlie was tied up on the chair in The looking glass station by the two women and then Desmond went there to help him,but also Bakoutin went there.Bakoutin killed both women of that station and then Desmond managed to kill him... (?)
    On the beach Sayid,Bernand and Jin were ready for the others to come.Ben didn't have the opportunity to warn them that the losties new about their arrival on the beach because Juliet betrayed them. However the group of the others entered the beach area and Sayid&Bernand shot the explosives so most of the others blowed up in the air!Jin didn't manage to shoot his explosives so Tom and another 2-3 others took Sayid-Bernand-Jin.
    Meanwhile the flashback of Jack is very interesting,he saved a woman in an accident and he was the "Hero" but as we see his life was miserable.He also had a beard.
    At the end of this episode something shocking happenend.Lock was still alive into the Dharma Grave and he was trying to shoot himself because he was again paralysed!Suddenly Walt appeared there and told Lock to stand up!
  • Almost the end...

Looks like Charlie's mission will be suicidal...if Desmond's predictions about his death are true (I am ccertain it will). And Mikhail's not dead, even from the supposedly deadly shockwave fence. The rest of the survivors should have killed him back there at the Flame. And the next episode's going to be awesome! Bring on the season finale!
  • Can't get any better than this!!!

Different from other episodes but this one rocked hard!!

The others come and kidnap Jin, Sayid and Bernard, while Ben makes his way up to the radio tower with Alex to stop the survivors from getting rescued. Mikhali is sent to kill Charlie down in the looking glass but it turns violent as he betrays Ben and kills off the two women Desmond is still hiding..
    The gun shots when we thought Sayid and the other two were dead was very very sad, but people will die. They end up being OK when Hugo saves the day by killing the last members of those others using the old van! It was incredible, for once Oceanic flight 815 beat the others but deep down we know it's not over..
    And what about Niomi she is bad, a liar who should be killed and was later on.

But the whole thing was full-on action, loved it!

But hell this part was awesome, continue reading my review on Part 2 of this episode................
  • Grab The Kleenex!

I cried from start to finish of this episode. Shock, awe and a whole lot of tears is the way I spent watching the final episode for Lost: Season 3. I was so sad about Charlie and his suicide mission. Then I was bawling my eyes out over the others on the island. Seeing Walt again was a little bit alarming, I guess that either means that him and Micheal are dead or that they never made it off the island but I guess that is something they will be addressing in season 4? And just who did that girl contact with her phone??? More Bad Guys?? LoL I guess the more questions that this series answers the more they leave unanswered.
  • Sayid, Jin and Bernard get captured by the others.Ben sends Mikhail to kill Charlie. Ben then embarks with Alex to meet the survivors heading for the radio tower. Flashbacks show Jack at a very low point of his life, he is suicidal and drug addicted.

In the begging I felt a little bit worried that Sayid, Jin and Bernard were captured but then when Hurly saved him I felt obviously better. In this episode I felt very super sad because Charlie was going to die and I didn't want him to die but he was so I had to deal with it. He was tied to a chair bleeding from his mouth from being beaten up by the women in the station. I felt glad that we saw Karl again and I think that Karl and Alex make a great couple but that's not the case. This was a great episode full of excitement and sadness for me which was great!
  • In a completely different league to other episodes, but do I want an episode from a new league? I loved the on island action, but what does the off-island action mean for Jack?

So. The day of the series finale, and where was I? On a plane, going the wrong way away from my TV set. Gimng on holiday. Pretending to enjoy myself when really, I was just thinking about what I was missing. Over teh last few months teh UK Lost Podcast had dowloaded itself onto my ipod, and one day I found nine unlisted to Podcasts and spent 4 and a half hour son the beach listening to Ian Lee and his friends make me feel better.

Then, the journey home, the delay, the traffic and finally, LOST!

Things I loved liked and disliked:
    * Loved: Rose and Bernard
    -I am a dentist, not Rambo
    -You tell me Live Together Die Alone Jack I'll punch you in the face.
    I hope that Rose and Bernard return as more regualr characters next year and have their own flashbacks. Now that Jacks new head of surgery shares his surname with Bernard this probably gives room for a Berard flashback.
    *Liked alot: The flashbacks which turned out to be flashforwards
    -I liked the beard, just to give things something different.
    -I liked the opening sequece which was very powerful
    -The mysterious coffin and the question of who was in it
    -And then the final flash. I had not anticipated that on British TV it would end 15 minutes before it usually would so I wasn't ready for a big gamechanger with 15 minutes left. I was sure it'd be Jacks dad in the car as we hadn't seen him yet and was shocked at Kate. And then I realized that it was the future. Whoa. I don't like that Jack isn't happy and I hope that this isn't the end of teh show in three years tie because for the first time in 3 years I've actually warmed to Jack and I hope that that isn't the end for him.
    *Loved: The fact that they "accidentily" let slip that loads of people were going to die, so that we would assume Jim Sayid and Bernard were dead. It was so bad but then turned into a brilliant situation.
    *Love: Penny. She's great and I wish i hadn't found out that she was going to be in this episode.
    *Loved: Rouseux & Alex meeting for the first time and their first speach together being "shall we tie him up".
    *Loved: Benry Gale looking terrible in the last scene. Covered in blood and tied to a tree with terrifing eyes. He's such a great character.
    *Hated: Sawyer telling Hurley to go away. Yes, he was only doing it to protect him but I felt so sorry for Hurley and was worrieed that he;d go and kill himself afetr Charlie the week before.
    *Loved: Hurleys speach through the walkie talkie. Attention Others, Come in Others. If you're listening to this I want you to know that we got you b*stards, and unless the rest of you want to be blown up, you best stay away from our beach. -He's the best
    *Liked: The Looking Glass action. Desmond in the cupboard while Charlie was being attacked. It was sort of sad that Charlie died but it was obviously going to happen and I didn't feel sad as I was too busy thinking "either swim out the window(I know it'd be hard but he could've tried) or open the door and take a deep breath and swim up to the surface". It's better to try and by opening the door he wouldn't kill Desmond because it'd take so long for it all to fill up.
    *Stupid: was that Des managed to swim down the very long way down to the looking glass without hardly taking a breath.
    *Disliked: Naomi having to be killed. Two Brits in ne episode, tut tut.
    *Loved: Walt & Locke. How cool was that!
    *Loved: Juliet: "For the aliens". For a real second I beleived her.

So a few weeks ago I made a list of my fave episodes this series, and I don't know where to put this episode but I think it'll go:

(Just to explain. The ones at the top and bottem were easy for me to decide, but the ones in the middle I found quite equal and hard to separate)

1.Flashes Before Your Eyes
    19. Further Instructions
    20. Tricia Tanaka is Dead
    21.Stranger In A Strange Land
    22.The Glass Ballerina

And now, it breaks my heart to say it. But it's all over. Goodbye Lost for 247 days. By which time I'm probably sad enough to have reviewed every episode although i hope it doesn't get that bad...

Maybe I'll get into Alias... or 24, by a boxset...watch all of them, and forget about Lost completely...

Nah, it'll never happen
  • Pure pwnage!

This episode was great! Filled with Action, flashbacks (Flash forwards?) that actually aren't boring, and explosions! The best part of the episode was by far the dynamite scene, but that's not the only reason I gave it a 10. Whether we see Jack popping drugs and preparing to kill himself, or Walt talk to Locke after a season of absence, this episode serves almost every Lost fan for the better. The music was definitely up there as the best of the series, and when the dynamite plan goes awry, we're left with great curiousity. And, finally, the woman in "The Looking Glass". Amazing how faithful they are to Ben...
< 1 2 3 4