Lost

Through the Looking Glass (1)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• Do you people that rate these episodes a 10 even WATCH the episode?

Once again, Lost fails to deliver. After all the type ABC gives this show, it drops the ball again. Remember the "Three of the island's biggest mysteries revealed!" episode? And then it didn't reveal anything? Once again, I was lured into getting excited about this episode with false promises.

Once again, zero answers, and dozens more questions. And instead of waiting a week or two to find out what might happen, they expect me to wait until next year? We'll see if anyone will be watching then.

Truly a disappointment. Last season will forever be my favorite television season.
  • Pain, redefined.

Simply the worst episode of Lost in its history, Through the Looking Glass has guarenteed I wont be back. No more of this crap. I am stunned and appalled that people actually liked this - I believe that people who love Lost actually deserve what they get, and what they get is nothing. With every episode two parts of a four part show, the complete dissatisfaction is absolutely deserved by anyone who acclaims this rubbish.

The flashforwards was painfully obvious, and if you did not predict it, you are a moron. Clear and simple. But even then, the flashforwards were no great shakes - they were dull and uninspired and made the same simpering lack of sense that everything in this show does. The suggestion that Jack's leaving the island - the place where he spent most of his time fighting for life, trying to lead a bunch of hopeless halfwits out of danger and to rescue, in which he was kidnapped and beaten and saw many friends die, not to mention a serious of nightmares involving a huge smoke shadow (I maintain that the thing is actually bees), and polar bears, and a series of better trained, homocidal halfwits, and you name it - is a bad thing for him is absolutely ludicrous. Oh, yes, back on the mainland where he can do whatever he wants must be horrible for him. Hey, Jack, how about you try a date instead?

So, we didn't see them get rescued, or get to find out who the people on the boat really are, or anything like that - instead, the flash forwards confirm that they were rescued, but the island (it's Neverland, stupid) has once again disappeared. But, of course, Jack wants to get back. He must really miss that Smoke Monster.

Charlie is, as usual, a gigantic misfire. I'm sure you had to drown yourself, brother, because that had depth and pathos, except not. Most of us (those with common sense, I'm saying) were just stunned that you killed yourself needlessly instead of *leaving the room*. Questions like "Why can grenades explode underwater" are utterly fruitless when you're dealing with a wreck like Lost, so it's best not even asking. I really am not sure what I did to deserve Lost. I seem to have brought it upon myself by watching the damn thing, but even then, no. I hate you, Lost, and now I'll never ever have to watch you ever ever again.
  • bad taste!

2.1
    I wanted some answers , to finnaly see at least a few answers so i won't have so many questions. And why did charile lock himself when they where in that underswaterstation? He had time to get out of there. Ben wanted the survivors not to get off the island , why didn't he just say what the problems are if those guys are really that bad. Walt and his dad left the island ... wtf? This sux.
    Really worst ending i could've imagined. T_T The serial wasn't the best but i liked it , now i am really disapointed because the last episode of this season was to stupid. At least they got of the island (+2 points only because they didnt make it in time) , + 0.1 points because i like the serial.
  • People died, but not really. We go to the future instead of the past. But what was the big reveal?

4.4
    I saw Evangeline Lilly and Jorge Garcia on Jimmy Kimmel Live. They both described how the big reveal in the season finale was going to be shocking. It'd be mindblowing, like when we first found out Locke used to be in a wheelchair. Well, I watched the entire two hours and I'm still unclear as to what exactly they're talking about. What was the big reveal? Was it the death of Charlie? (Which has basically been teased since season one) Was it that they're going to get off the island because we had a flash foward instead of a flash back? Was it that Locke isn't dead? Was it that Walt came back for a split second? Whatever the case maybe, nothing really made me gasp or be left with goosebumps. Lost is typical for making me mad when it ends because that's just when it gets good and you want more. This season, however, I feel no cliffhanger and am not as exicted for Lost to return. Maybe I'm just tiring of the show but I really am failing to see this big reveal.

The rest of the episode was basically just killing off the others who didn't have much reason to stay any way. The only thing I really liked about this episode is Future Jack. He's a dude I'd like to party with.
  • Annoying!

Season finale was only one hour--not two like some had thought it would be. The ending cliffhanger wasn't as strong as the previous seasons and left me feeling annoyed. Also annoying is that there is only two seasons of episodes left, which they've chosen to stretch out over three seasons of just 16 episodes each.

EDIT: Ok, a couple hours later the second episode was available for download. Hey, I'm in Korea, I don't get all your stateside marketing!
  • Ben was right, Charlie's dead, Jack's a horrible hero, and they get off the island. Hoo-rah.

7.6
    That's where this plot came from, at least. Why do the writers associate "shock value" and "excitement" with killing off characters? I was left with nothing but empty feelings from this episode. I've loved Lost ever since it began, and I've been an obsessed fan...up until last night. Everything in it was predictable. I knew Jack was going to say he loved Kate. Then I said, "I bet he's going to kiss Juliet, too." Then I said, "I bet Patchy's not really dead." I predicted that Hurley would bring out the VW, and that it would be Walt that appeared to Locke.

So the usual complete surprise that Lost usually has was absent, except the ending. Even then, I said, "If that is Kate in that car, I am done with this show."

And guess who popped out? Yeah. I thought so.

And Charlie's completly unsurprising death was one thing; sad. We were promised so much more than we got about Claire and Charlie's relationship. Now we have to sit through ANOTHER god-awful season of the island's "Love Triangle" (which has once again turned into a "Love Square"--remember Ana Lucia?), when we had a perfectly good and entrancing couple to watch already!

Lost has definitly gone downhill with this one. From reverting to the "let's kill off characters for shock value!" plan to the "let's bring back a love square, they'll never be expecting it!", Lost has completly lost my faith. Pun intended.
  • Words do not express how I feel right now.

I'm get killed for saying this probably, but this is what I believe.

And 8 is good for this episode. There were good parts. Alex and Danielle reuniting was a great scene. Hurley saving the day was also good.

My least favorite scene was my favorite character, the reason I started watching, die. But is he dead I wonder? The writers are odd that way. They kill someone off, but don't really kill them. I feel here is one reason I have no reason to watch this show. Dominic is gone.

Mostly, here is what I am angry about. Every episode I'm told will blow my mind. That doesn't always happen. Now, the writers said in EW that the ending was something only a disturbed person could possibly think of. Honey, I am a disturbed person. The ending is a flash forward. I figured someone would die, Locke would kill Jack, Kate would be tortured and brutally murdered. I was hoping for the latter. Learning they all survived is not freaky. That's pathetic. Now we possibly know they get off the island, so what is the point of watching?

These writers for the show? Ugh! They get on my nerves. They need help with it. I am sure plenty of people are pry impressed, but I'm not. I feel I've been wasting my time on this show. The ending was just pathetic. It made me really rethink even tuning in. It doesn't appear to be getting better. It did, but after this ep, I ask myself the point of it all.
  • Very dark mood in some scenes

I enjoyed the plot and for once I feel that a definitive answer was given on this show hahaha.

We find out abit about Ben and where the Others came from. Also we see what happened to The Dharma Initiative. Ben and Locke go to see Jacob which was very strange a bit of a plot twist when Jacob is revelaed.

Overall this episode was very revealing and thats what I like in shows when it is needed. We get to know Ben on a more intimate level and discover some secrets about his past. The flashbacks to Jack were disorientating but its still a great installment and really keeps the pace up. Very dramatic episode.
  • perfect end to the season:)

It began like any other day, with yet another vision from Desmond, and although it seemed quite easy to avoid this time, it would come with a great prize: neither Claire nor Aaron would ever get out of the island. So Charlie wrote his favourite moments on a paper, kissed his non-wife goodbye and spent a last moment with the son he would never see grow up before he would meet his ultimate fate.

It’s hard to say which the hardest part was: to know what was going to happen or to watch Aaron caress Charlie’s face good bye. How can a man knowingly walk to his death like this? For as steady and strong as it was this is still Charlie we’re talking about; a couple of months ago he was still an addict, as distant from religion as he was from real human contact, we slowly saw him grow from the pitiful has been that he was into a man anyone would feel proud to shake hands with, the kind of man Claire could rely on, the kind of father Aaron would’ve feel proud of and the kind of man that would die to buy his mates a way out. The kind of man we would miss, deeply.
  • kate

het is super goed. ik vind het heel goed wat de schrijvers gemaakt hebben ook vind ik dit minder want ik wil gewoon die aflevering kijken zonder dat mensen erst gaan vragen om een review te schrijven van 100 woorden dat is toch belachelijk. maar goed ik wil het wel doen hoor.
    hoe moet ik trouwens een review schrijven als ik de aflevering niet eens heb gezien moet een review niet nadat je een aflevering hebt gezien! ik vind het denk ik erg spannend en ik hoop dat het niet met een heel erg groot open einde achterblijft en ik zal het wel zien
  • To those choice few individuals who exist on or near the same astral plane as myself (in other words, the square root of your IQ isn't a single digit number)...

To those choice few individuals who exist on the same astral plane as myself (in other words the square root of your IQ isn't a single digit number). You know you're privileged and on some level vindicated to have a show like this, if only for a few short weeks each year. 'Nuff said.

But because I have to type 100 words I'll also say that I'm a little against running the last 3 seasons without a hiatus since it makes the wait for the next season seem so much longer, hence the .2 point deduction. And this makes 100.
  • Its been a shaky season, but now i think Lost can get back on course...

If i were to describe this episode in one word, it would be "Outstanding." After a season which has seen the show lose a great deal of viewers for such reasons as "not enough answers" and "not enough screentime" this episode camne along and made up for what has been a dissapointing season. The story was fantastic, picking up from where greatest hits left off, as Jack prepares to lead the survivors to the radio tower. The episode started off in a surprising way, as I thought we were going to be sat watching yet another jack flashback rather than a much more important character. The twist at the end of the episode, when we find out that we are actually watching a flashforward into Jacks future was amazing, credit to the writers for pulling off this "Gamechanger" in a brilliant manner. This episode was filled with plenty of action, mystery, twists and humour, and it really has brought the series back to its deserved status as the number one show on TV today.
  • Tying up a season with its ups and downs, not only is the best LOST finale, I think this may be the best finale, period. And just like that, the game changes completely for the show. An amazing episode that is definitely a classic.

Season 3 was a love or hate season. Personally, I find that it was stronger than Season 2, if only by a hair, and weaker than the pilot season, which was completely amazing and introduced the show beautifully. With this finale, not only are lots of issues from this season wrapped up, but the show takes a new turn. And for me, it's definitely a positive thing.

Things begin with Jack getting ready to leave for the radio tower, leaving Sayid, Jin, and Bernard back at the camp to take care of the Others. Lucky for them, they only will have to deal with ten of the Others' finest, and not the whole group. As Jack advances towards the radio tower, we find that the love triangle that we though may have ended with Juliet has now returned and has become a love quadrangle as Jack kisses Juliet, yet tells Kate that he loves her. This is really interesting as it makes us wonder what the heck Jack thinks of Juliet truly. Is he just using her? Who knows... Sawyer, on the other hand, is trying to distance himself from Kate, who is again acting the usual. However, his motive isn't that he is fed up with Kate, but that he wants to save Sayid, Jin, and Bernard, as it seems that only two of the explosions went off, and not all three. He tells Kate that he's going back but doesn't want her to come. Juliet goes along with Sawyer and Hurley tries to as well. However, once Juliet and Sawyer see Hurley, they tell him that he'll just get in the way and isn't in the best shape to help them out. That really got to me, as Hurley is a character that has always tried to help and fit in. He leaves reluctantly, and Sawyer and Juliet press on. It's really cool to see that a relationship between those two could be quite possible, but that's thinking too far ahead for now.

On the beach, Jin and Sayid are able to shoot their sets of dynamite and kill seven of the ten Others. Bernard gets the chills and doesn't shoot off his dynamite in time, as the Others ambush our shooters from behind. Tom and Pryce with one other unknown Other hold the three hostage, threatening their lives as they question them on where Jack has led the group. Sayid stands up to them, as he knows well enough that he must let them all get off the island. Jin, well, he can't speak english. Bernard, however, remembering Rose telling him to not be Rambo, gives away Jack's plan to get to the radio tower. Pryce then radios Ben, whom with Alex, goes to head off Jack's group at their destination. When Alex asks why he's bringing her along, Ben tells her that he's delivering her to her new family, in reference to the losties. The motive of this is obviously that he was trying to protect her from having Karl impregnate her. This reveal gives me the idea that Ben isn't as bad as he seems. Sure, he killed all the Dharma people, but maybe they really were the bad guys. Ben later tells Pryce to keep the hostages as leverage. It seems that Ben still has more up his sleeve and will always be one or two steps ahead of the losties no matter what they try to do.

And then, we cut to the story that I was most excited to see. We see Locke, ready to kill himself in the Dharma grave with a revolver. It seems as though Locke is willing to end his own suffering as he is accepting that he has failed. Right before he pulls the trigger, we are shocked by the sight of Walt, whom tells John that he can walk and has work to do. What the heck is up with Walt? How the heck did he so suddenly get back? Why? This is one of the questions we'll have to ponder for the eight months that LOST will be gone from us.

Down in the Looking Glass, Charlie is surviving the good cop, bad cop routine by Greta and Bonnie who question him over how he got there. Knowing that this isn't the way he'll go, Charlie toys around with them, giving them lies such as he came from an "invisible submarine". Greta and Bonnie are then revealed to be Others, as they ask Ben for advice on how to handle the situation. Eventually, they get out the information of who Charlie is, and Ben is bedazzled by the idea that the losties know of that hatch. Ben then has Mikhail sent to the Looking Glass to take care of the situation as he has little faith in the two women. Mikhail then realizes that Ben lied about the Looking Glass being flooded and it seems that his faith in Ben has been a bit shattered. However, Ben notices this in Mikhail, and is able to keep him under his rule for just a little longer.

We finally see Desmond in his boat, waking up to find no Charlie. Just as he awakens, he sees Mikhail taking shots at him with his rifle over in the distance. Diving into the water and reaching the Looking Glass, Desmond is able to hide in one of the lockers inside the station without the women noticing. With the women both angered that Charlie isn't telling them anything, they threaten to teach him otherwise with a spear gun. Just before they get this gun from the locker holding Desmond, Mikhail comes out of the water, telling them that he has been sent by Ben. He goes into a room and talks with Ben via a communications room. There, he is told by Ben to get rid of Charlie, Bonnie, and Greta. He exits and gets Bonnie and Greta, but Desmond shoots him with the harpoon gun before he can finish off one of the women. This was a very iconic scene with Desmond taking the initiative with the harpoon gun in a classic showdown pose. I loved that. Charlie then gets the code out of this woman left living that he needs to turn the switch and the yellow light. And what do you know, it's a tune to Good Vibrations, which also gave headway to the song, A Day in My Life, by the Beatles. After pushing the code, he presses a button after flipping the switch. This leads to him talking with Penelope. During the talk, he is told that the boat of Naomi is not hers. She doesn't have a boat. This blew me away since I knew that Naomi was a liar. Everyone didn't believe me, but I told them that Naomi lied. Still, I must know, how come the Looking Glass went to a screen with Penelope? Is she linked the group of Naomi or the Others? Why would they be tuned to her? Ugh, I guess we'll learn that later.

After Charlie learns this, Mikhail, the man that never dies, appears outside with a grenade and blows open the window in the room that Charlie is in. Charlie heroically locks himself in the room to save Desmond then rights his final wishes, "Not Penny's Boat." This was done in an extremely touching way and makes me believe that this was the best character send off ever. Amazingly sad, yet beautifully done.

Back with Jack and his group, they finally reach the radio tower. Meeting up with Rousseau, they enter the radio tower to end her signal. Unfortunately, Ben is also there. He warns Jack that calling these people of Naomi will kill everyone. This makes me believe that the people on the ship are people from the Dharma Initiative, and really no other group would make much sense. Again, I have to say, I was right and yet no one wanted to believe me! Ben then threatens Jack and is pushed to have Sayid, Jin, and Bernard executed by Pryce and Tom. Jack lashes out by beating Ben to the bone, and then tying him to a tree for safe keeping. This scene really shows the person that Jack is truly and also hints at who he will be in the upcoming seasons. Naomi, testing her phone for any sort of signal finally is able to call someone. With the radio out, she takes the phone and begins to call her ship. Just as she is about to speak with her crew, we find that Locke has thrown a knife in her back. With Naomi pretty much dead, Jack takes up the phone and begins to talk with a ship person. Locke threatens Jack, telling him that he'll shoot him. Jack pushes Locke as he continues to speak, and Locke then walks away with Ben again disappointed in him. I find it a bit strange that Locke kills Naomi yet doesn't kill Jack. Is it because he sees Jack as an accomplice or even a friend? I guess that we'll know next season or at least have a better idea of what was going on with our pal Locke. With that said, the man on the ship pin points Jack's location and tells them that they're on their way to rescue them. ON the beach, we find that Pryce on Tom have not actually killed their hostages, but shot in the sand. Tom doesn't agree that Pryce defied Ben's orders, and this shows that a divide in the Others is beginning and will become big for them. Sawyer and Juliet finally arrive at the scene, trying to devise a plan to rescue their fellow friends. Just as they think they have a plan down, Hurley arrives in his VW bus and runs over Pryce, killing him. This gives Sawyer the chance to steal the gun from Pryce and kill the random Other that was with him. Then, Tom gives up, seeing he's definitely outnumbered. However, Sawyer doesn't agree and kills Tom, saying "that was for the kid you kidnapped." This kind of showed how the death of the real Sawyer has affected our fellow con and that Tom may have actually been a good guy after all that didn't really want to fight with the losties. I'm still made that Tom is gone, though.

Now, onto the flashback. Well, let me say, flashforward. yes, that's right. LOST's big gamechanger was showing us a flashforward of Jack in his nice ol' Spartan-like beard. We see him, just as his father, drinking and popping pills. His regrets lead him to nearly committing suicide. Just then, an ad in the paper of a death of someone he knew brings him to calling a special friend. He goes to see this person's coffin, but we never get to look inside for ourselves. Yes, this'll be a mystery I don't plan on being answered for a ways out. Then, Jack is able to contact the person he has been calling and meets up with them. There, he meets Kate and tells her how he has been flying on flights between LA and Pacific cities around Asia hoping that the plane will crash. He admits that they made a mistake and that they must go back. I'm guessing that he's talking about the island and then getting off. I think that after this, Jack and friends will finally realize that their isn't much more to go back to and that life on the island was better. Still, there's a lot of questions that this finale brought, and I want to discuss them now! Great writing!

So, with that long re-cap with analysis, I have to say that this is the best finale I've seen. The number of key events is amazing and the storylines of each were well written. The only problem I had was that the second half seemed to pass a littl too much faster than the first, making the big reveals and shockers hard to cope with once the iconic LOST logo came up at the end of the episode. Still, this is in my top 3 episodes for the show. Incredible.
  • Great ending to a mediocre season

The season finale of Lost was a great end to this pretty stale season. I was very close to dropping this show but this episode made the stay worth it. Unfortunately I figured out it was a future flash before Kate showing up at the end with the placement of a Motorola KRAZR phone which would have been invented well after their plane crashed so it couldn't be a flashback. I almost thought it was a goof but soon realized this was Jack after getting off the island. I hope they reveal who died and why no one attended the funeral in the next season. Maybe they will even continue to do more future flashes. Overall this episode alone will keep me longing for more Lost over the long summer.
  • The sad, the bad, the happy, the mysterious, the confused, the dead, LOST

This will be a duplicate review for Through The Looking Glass parts 1 and 2. They will be the exact same thing, right down to the periods.

There are flashfowards to Jack. He is a broken man who is hooked on perscription drugs and is a drunk. He attempts to commit suicide. He ends up saving the lives of two people. A doctor tries to help him, but it doesn't work. He calls up Kate and tells them that they have to go back to the island.

Charlie is captured by the two women inside the hatch. They contact Ben and he sends Mikhail. Mikhail sees Desmond and shoots at him. Desmond dives under and gets there but hides. Mikhail talks to Ben and follows the orders to kill Charlie and the two women. Desmond kills Mikhail after Mikhail manages to kill one woman and injure the other. Charlie gets the code from the living woman and she dies. Charlie gets in contact with Penny. He asks about Naomi and she doesn't know anything about her. Desmond notices Mikhail is missing. Mikhail appears outside of Charlie's window and blows it open. Charlie shuts the door so Desmond won't drown. He writes "Not Penny's boat" on his hand and shows Desmond. Charlie then drowns.

Jack and everyone else head up to the radio tower. Naomi tells Jack how to work the phone just in case. They are worried when they only see two explosions.

Sayid, Jin and Bernard stay behind to kill the Others. The Others come and go toward the tents. Sayid takes the first shot and hits it! Bernard takes the second shot and also hits it! Jin has trouble with his pistol and the Others get him. Bernard tries to help, but the Others get him too. Sayid is also captured, but they managed to kill 7 of the Others. They contact Ben and Ben tells them to make them talk. Bernard spills it. The Others tell Ben.

Kate wants to go back for Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Sawyer decides to go, but he doesn't want Kate with him. Juliet goes instead, but before she does, she kisses Jack. Kate is jealous, but when Jack talks to Kate, he tells her that he loves her. Sawyer and Juliet are on their way when Hurley wants to help. Sawyer says no.

Ben quickly starts planning how to stop Jack. Alex goes with him to stop them from getting to the radio tower. They encounter Jack and Ben and Jack talk. Alex also meets her mother, Danielle. Ben threatens to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. He then orders Tom to kill them. There are three shots fired on the walkie talkie. Ben doesn't want Jack to contact the freighter. Jack beats Ben to a pulp. They proceed to the radio tower.

Locke is about to end it all, but suddenly, Walt stops him and tells him to get up.

Saywer and Juliet arrive at camp. It turns out that the Otheres lied to Ben about killing Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Hurley then comes with the van and kills an Other. Sayid kills another. Saywer then kills Tom. They are all safe.

At the radio tower, Naomi gets a signal because of Charlie. They stop Danielle's transmission. Naomi is contacting them, but Locke kills her. He tells Jack not to call, but Jack does it anyway.

This was an amazing episode of Lost! I was really sad when Charlie died. Even though I didn't really like him as much throughout the series, this really did affect me. The flashfowards were pretty good, especially the last one, but nothing really grabbed me there. Sawyer was so mean to Hurley and Hurley just wanted to help! I really felt sorry for Hurley at that point. I didn't want Jack to contact the freighter. I don't even know what to think! As for couples, I want Jack and Juliet together and Kate and Sawyer together! Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, now why'd you go and tell the Others the whole plan? That was so dumb! I'm still sad about Charlie. I hope Desmond remembers to give Charlie's "greatest hits" to Claire. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!
  • Part one of my review, basically it's my "Stairway to Heaven".

With the theme of The Others this season, it would've been likelier to have Ben or Juliet as the focus of the flashbacks, fleshing out unanswered questions we've had about The Others. Considering Jack's last flashback was the weakest episode of the season, it may be expected to go into this episode with some skepticism or confusion regarding their choice. However, weeks before this episode aired, Cuse and Lindelof made a deal with ABC to set a definitive end date for the series. This unusual move allows them to plan a proper end of the show rather than prolonging it as "The X-Files" did. With 48 episodes left, it was time to set up the next phase in the story, where things start to move towards the climax. Throwing in a major game changer like the final twist is such a dramatic gesture. It's appropriate that Jack, who for all intents and purposes is the main character, be the one explored at this pivotal time in the series.

The twist's fitting because the way events played out, this almost could've been a series finale. The tensions between the castaways and The Others come to a head as three seasons worth of storylines and character development culminate in explosive battles and major resolutions. Considering the unanswered questions remaining, something had to change to keep the story fresh. If they didn't know how much longer they had to keep the show going, perhaps the new element wouldn't have been introduced, but instead held off for longer than it should. Just when we think we know where the show is going, they throw a major curve ball no one saw coming.

Matthew Fox has a lot to work with in this episode. He plays everything from suicidal depression to victorious euphoria so well. Typically the acting praise glory goes to Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson, or an impressive newcomer like Elizabeth Mitchell (well deserved in all three cases). However, Fox steps up and delivers his best work on the show so far, and thankfully it's been recognized (not by the stupid Emmys though).

Jack's defining characteristic is his messiah complex. He must suffer to save or to fix everyone he meets. It's what drives him to suicidal depression when he reads the mysterious clipping, as well as what snaps him out of it when the woman crashed her car with her son inside as well. Then it gets worse when he sees the extent of damage she suffered because, as he later learns, he distracted her. This comes in contrast to the present situation, where Jack is in control, leading his people, as Naomi points out, like Moses. His focus as leader has never been sharper as the goal couldn't be clearer With Karl's warning forcing the castaways to rework their plan on the beach, failure seemed inevitable for the survivors hoping to kill or capture The Others invading the beach. There are further hints of dooming the castaways, with Jin saying (in English) that they needed to go home, or the light hearted reminder Rose gave Bernard that he "is not Rambo". Ultimately this is proven true, although they do take seven down before getting captured. Of course the other castaways don't know that, and panic starts to arise. Jack manages to get everyone to stick with the original plan without saying "live together, die alone", which Rose awesomely warns warrants a punch in the face.

I would've liked to seen more about Juliet's perspective on what happened. While she turned against The Others, she was still one of them for three years and had grown close to at least some of them. Because she turned, many of them are dead. Juliet's loyalties will be one to watch when the freighter arrives. She aligns herself with whoever can get her off the island to see her sister, or at least whoever can help her sister when she was sick. If many of the castaways side with the philosophy that the people on the freighter are bad, maybe she'll betray the castaways in favor of getting home.

There are a few moments that twist the romantic quadrangle. Juliet and Jack have formed a romance, which is hardly a surprise. Why none of the castaways who've questioned his judgment have brought it up before is still unclear. Then he admits to Kate that he loves her. As he did in "I Do", Jack is willing to let Kate be with someone else who makes her happy (having someone himself makes that easier). One thing of note is that Jack's confession appears in the second part when it aired and on its downloadable counterpart, but was changed for the DVD (which stupidly split the episode in two unlike "Exodus II & III" and "Live Together, Die Alone").

Sawyer's emotional state since killing the man he blamed for ruining his life wasn't explored coming in, but this episode fully delves into Sawyer's darkness. Revenge negated all the progress he made. Going back to the beach for Jin, Bernard and Sayid is more of a death wish than a heroic gesture, even mocking those who want to help. The two most obvious examples are Kate and Hurley. Sawyer's distancing Kate (ironically by not nicknaming her). Rejecting Hurley just adds to what happened in the last episode, only Sawyer did this to make Hurley feel as bad as he did. The exception is Juliet, who is the only person who could get Jack to allow them to go. Following up on the cliffhanger, the two women in The Looking Glass (Greta and Bonnie) are The Others helping Ben jam all signals coming from the island. One would imagine if they had more time they would've been further explored as tools in Ben's operation. There is something in the good cop (Greta) and bad cop (Bonnie) that would've been nice to see more of, especially since the two are played by recognizable guest TV actors.

Believing his death imminent, Charlie faces them fearlessly, which clearly doesn't work for Bonnie. Considering all the upper hands The Others have had against the castaways, it's refreshing to see them frustrated. Charlie isn't afraid to die anymore, so The Others have no leverage.

The Others' mission to "The Temple" sounds intriguing, but may be just a way to rewrite around real life conflicts. Nestor Carbonell, who plays Richard Alpert, took a job on another show. Since no other prominent Others are going with him, it's the best way to get him out of the story without killing him off, since his story is yet to be told. There's no way the fans would let them get away with revealing that Richard hasn't aged a day in at least a quarter century without an eventual answer. It'll be best to be patient to see how this ends.

Ben offers some insight into the secretive nature of The Others' society. It makes sense that they are out to protect the island from most outsiders and that those on the freighter pose the greatest threat to the island. This explains a good amount of the antagonism they've had towards the castaways, their conflict with the Dharma Initiative and why Ben is deathly afraid of Naomi and the castaways making contact with the outside world. The castaways didn't have a choice in their arrival, so The Others took select ones and made what they could out of it. However, the freighter is a whole different beast in that they're actively looking for it. This island has many special things, but why The Others need, or feel the need, to "protect" it has yet to be explained.

Ben's secrecy regarding many of his duplicitous activities shows his desire to assert his power, but actually the episode shows how he is losing power dramatically and is clinging to whatever he had left. This has been so since he found out he was sick. On an island that miraculously heals a person's paralysis, sterility or cancer, that the person who supposedly had a close communion with the island would be exempt is enough to get people wondering whether their leader is a false prophet.

Since "The Man From Tallahassee", Locke has been challenging Ben's status as leader. Locke gained celebrity among the Others for his miraculous recovery from paralysis in contrast to Ben's sickness. Ben knew the threat was real when Jacob communicated with Locke, so he shot Locke and left him for dead. With Ben having lost his status and The Others' muscle decimated, it wouldn't be hard to imagine Jacob using Walt to help Locke protect the island from the threat of those preparing to arrive.

Alternatively, the other major presence of visions on the island has been a by product of The Monster. This could mean several different things. The Monster could be operating with a different agenda than Jacob, or maybe they are the same entity, or The Monster is a "pet" of Jacob's. Jacob doesn't appear to be able to actively influence things, so he has people like Ben do his bidding or maybe will use The Monster as his muscle. If the Monster is really a security system as Rousseau describes it, then it should be interesting to see how it reacts to the freighter.

Early in the season, Boone arrived in a vision to help Locke get back on track. As he contemplates ending his life, it makes sense for another vision to talk him off the ledge. It all goes back to the people he tried to connect to the island back in the first season. Malcolm David Kelly clearly is in the midst of puberty and that can't be hidden anymore no matter how they shoot it. Regardless of that, or the usability of a gun that has been exposed to a tropical environment for years, this scene effectively raises the stakes for the second part. With all that's going on, Locke is now another x factor.

Having Walt appear again could be a sign of things to come. Producers made no attempt to hide the fact that Michael would be returning as a lead character in season four, (the producers of "24" did something similar with the promotional material for their seventh season). Perhaps Walt and Michael, after being shipped away in the second season finale, encountered the freighter, and may have told them of the island's existence. It's unlikely Kelly will be featured much because of his growth spurt, but the device at the end of the two parter could allow them to bring Walt back into the story, which is important considering how much they emphasized his role in the first two seasons.
  • One amazing episode that leaves the viewer with the best hour of television he or she has ever witnessed!

(spoiler alert)Wow. this episode was amazing. Through The looking glass was the first episode in the whole series of LOST to contain a (spoileralert) flashforward!! Jack's future looks very depressing and apparently they should have never left the island. "We have to go back!" It was an intense episode, Jack beat the hell out of Ben (who in my opininon completely deserved it), we had to say goodbye to our favorite rock star druggy Charlie, Hurley got to run over that annoying "other" and we got to see another DHARMA station that had bad ass written all over it because it was under water, blocking signals and not to mention the bad ass himself,Mikhail Bkunin, swam down to take a harpoon to the chest (survive it) and blow up a window with a grenade and kill a main character. Also, Walt returned and our survivors found "rescue" or what they think is rescue.......LOST
  • Amazing sequence of actions.

Super ending for this season. The way they think they are over a problem again and they think they have change over their enemies and they go to war (reminded me a Jericho), but it is never this way and Ben, after he has made his actions towards Locke (I hope he is alive), has no intentions to wait. The excitement, knowing that Ben is coming, knowing that Looking Glass has informed him that Charlie is there and Mihkail (who seems to be another not dying character) is going there. The events on that station, Desmond there... it all is just leading were he promised... but some things are different...

and some going back... and the plan did not worked and three who was left back were captured... it did not looked so promising for them but it was super story, super moments.. super episode. I wish i could have watched it some other time not after midnight as for morning I have the emotion what it left but not clear memory of what exactly happened.
  • Excellent episode!

Through the Looking Glass [Part 1] ! An amazing episode!
    Charlie was tied up on the chair in The looking glass station by the two women and then Desmond went there to help him,but also Bakoutin went there.Bakoutin killed both women of that station and then Desmond managed to kill him... (?)
    On the beach Sayid,Bernand and Jin were ready for the others to come.Ben didn't have the opportunity to warn them that the losties new about their arrival on the beach because Juliet betrayed them. However the group of the others entered the beach area and Sayid&Bernand shot the explosives so most of the others blowed up in the air!Jin didn't manage to shoot his explosives so Tom and another 2-3 others took Sayid-Bernand-Jin.
    Meanwhile the flashback of Jack is very interesting,he saved a woman in an accident and he was the "Hero" but as we see his life was miserable.He also had a beard.
    At the end of this episode something shocking happenend.Lock was still alive into the Dharma Grave and he was trying to shoot himself because he was again paralysed!Suddenly Walt appeared there and told Lock to stand up!
  • Pure pwnage!

This episode was great! Filled with Action, flashbacks (Flash forwards?) that actually aren't boring, and explosions! The best part of the episode was by far the dynamite scene, but that's not the only reason I gave it a 10. Whether we see Jack popping drugs and preparing to kill himself, or Walt talk to Locke after a season of absence, this episode serves almost every Lost fan for the better. The music was definitely up there as the best of the series, and when the dynamite plan goes awry, we're left with great curiousity. And, finally, the woman in "The Looking Glass". Amazing how faithful they are to Ben...
  • Only one word can describe this episode : AWESOME!!!

This episode was beyond amazing. I loved it! I've watched it over and over again and am still not tired of it. The LOST witers are simply brilliant! Jack's flash-forwards were great. At first I thought they were flash-backs but I guess the ending proved me wrong. And we got to see Walt make an appearance! Creepy and cool at the same time! We found out that Locke was infact alive. He was just about to shoot himself when Walt appeared. We learned why Karl was in his cage: Ben didn't want Alex to get pregnant. This episode was so cool! My new favorite episode os LOST!
  • The best episode of LOST.(1)

WOW! The unbelievble episode. Jack became the real leader (Moses) of islanders and he will lead them to checkpoint in radio station. The super snipers Said, Berny, asian master - Jin will stay in the basic camp and will try to defend survivors from the "scary" others. During this, Charlie and our prophet - Desmond tries to disturb Ben's plans and disactivate LookingGlass station, which can give opportunity to connect with external world. At the end of episode the Freak Warrior - Locke came back from underworld. I think probably he became smokey's/Jacob's frined, because he on the contrary tries to protect the island from Naoimi's people intrusion. This two last episodes will brainwash you and you will never forget it untill next season. YEAH LOST RULES!
  • absolutely unreal!! loved it!

one of my favourite episodes so far!! of course it would be a jack flashback or should i say flashforward!! amazes me every time how the hell writers come up with this stuff!! i really wasnt expecting walt coming back and probably the only downfall of the episode for me was not showing what the hell happened with the whole locke and walt thing!!!?!?!?!?! i knew we were going to see more of locke but walt???? yeah, didnt see THAT coming!! maybe it was a hallucination or something!!?? was kinda sad when charlie died!! i knew it would happen eventually but he was always one of my favourite characters! funny the way it worked out huh? desmond made it sound so simple: "you go in flick the switch and you die!" the only downfall to his flashes-->they're only flashes!! he never gets the full story!! but where would the suspense be if he did!?!?!? who was the funeral for though?? and no-one went!!?? very strange! couldn't get my head around that one but there's been theories that it was michael's!!?!?!?! i dont know, i mean why would jack be so upset about michael?? and why would no one go to his funeral?? he has a son!!! personally i think it was juliet's because jack had a bond with her and also kate said why would she have gone, of course she didnt like juliet!! maybe it was ben's????????? hmmmmmmm!!! interesting!!! well thats my views and all in all.....................ONE OF THE BEST!!!!!!!
  • Ben, Walt, Locke, Charlie know somebody worse than "The Others" are coming if they make the call. Good old Jack and Kate are fooled again.

Yes, I figured out that the flash was forward right away, that Jack was talking to Kate, that Charlie would die, that Walt was coming back (the intro credits told us that. Yet, I really enjoyed it. It was fun and clever. I laugh at people who expect T.V. to be like a Franz Kafka novel or a Charlie Kaufman movie. Give me a break, this is T.V.! There is no more cleverly written American show than LOST. I love the questions that this brought out. What did Walt see and where did he see it (in what form did he return?)? What does Ben know about the people coming back to the island? What will Jack experience in the time before he gets off of the island? Who is in the coffin (Ben?)? What transformation will continue in Locke? What will we find out about Jacob? Why does the Russian never die? Why does Richard not age? The whole point of the show is to have more questions than answers. Not in the grandest of metaphysical ways, but in a fun escapist way. This is T.V. and it was meant to entertian us! To let us escape from our real problems. To use a horrible pun, to get LOST in the show for 1/2 hours of our lives. I can't wait for next season. This season had some great moments. Much better than season two. Proof that this season was much better than last year is that people really got into the new characters; Ben, Juliet, Jacob, Richard and Desmond (I know he was in season 2, but developed this season). Compare that to the flop that was the other side of the island survivors from season 2(all are gone). With the exception of Eko they all were disasters. Even Eko was never fully developed. This years flops on the beach were buried alive early enough to not ruin the season. This season had some very good moments. Most around Ben, Locke and Jacob. I do feel like Jack (always whimpering), Kate (always getting the Losties in trouble)and Claire (just backdrop) became really boring this year and very static. I feel Sawyer and Hurley are close to becoming cartoon characters. Last, Sayid (my favorite LOSTIE) and Jin were both under used this season.
  • awesome is the word and i knew jack's father would be alive

awesome awesome awesome it is the only word for this episode they are 2 many good things in this episode so i cannot write everything about the episode the major highlights are that jack's father is still alive {he tells to the other doctor to see if he is more drunk than his father is}and what we all thought that it was a flashback and i am sure none would have guessed it right and a awesome scene involving charlie's death which was a real tearjerker but i still wonder what is walt doing and whose funeral it was and my only complaint is that i cannot wait till next year to watch lost again
  • First Hour of the Season Finale.

After weeks and weeks of anticipation, today was the day of Season Three's finale. All the build up, all the hype, all the 'supposed' spoilers and all the genuine ones - we, the collective LOST community, celebrated this day with the utmost enthusiasm.

The episode begins with Jack being on an airplane, with a beard even Paul Bunyan would envy, ordering alcoholic drinks. We find out he is flying into Los Angeles. The scene shoots to him on a bridge, reading a clipping from a newspaper that the airline stewardess had given him, calling someone on a cell phone, leaving a message to someone who (seems) to never pick up, ready to commit suicide by jumping off of the bridge. We hear the loud noise of a car accident. Jack turns around to look at the scene. Then we cut to the island, where Sayid tells Jack that he has prepared as best as he can for the oncoming invasion of the Others. The shooters, who are staying behind to be sure to accomplish their mission of making sure the dynamite is ignited when the proper time arrives, are (everyone's favorite character) Bernard, Jin and Sayid. Some fantastic, touching, wonderful moments on the beach ensue, including numerous shots of all our favorite castaways in intimate shots. They then prepare to leave for the radio tower. With our shooters looking on, the castaways leave.

Naomi and Jack speak while they are trekking along the island. Naomi explains how the satellite phone can work to Jack. Scene cuts to Charlie in 'The Looking Glass' station, being tortured by a couple of women (Gretta and Bonnie). The ladies in the station seem to know who Ben is, and say they need to contact him. Charlie tells them to go ahead. As he glances over, he sees the 'room with lots of equipment' which Desmond had told him about. And the flashing yellow light.

Now back on the island, the Others are preparing for their ambush. We see Sayid, Jin and Bernard at their respective posts, ready to shoot. Sayid and Bernard hit their targets, but Jin fails. Jin decides to try a one-on-many combat approach, but is not successful. Then another 'Other' finds Sayid and forces him to surrender as well. Cut to the castaways - Rose asks, 'wasn't their supposed to be three explosions?' Being that they all only saw two, Kate proclaims, 'it didn't work.'

When the show resumes after a commercial, Jack is being treated for wounds he endured while helping the people that were involved in the car accident. He has a visitor in the emergency room - his ex-wife. She asks if Jack has still been drinking, which he denies. Jack asks for a ride home, which Sara denies. It cuts back to the island. Sun and Rose want to stay behind and wait for their husbands. Jack insists that everyone must continue walking.

Now we are back in the Looking Glass. The women have contacted Ben, and Charlie happily lets Ben know it is him who is there. After hearing from Tom that seven of their people had died in their attempted sabotage, in addition to everything else that is going on, including Bernard's confession (regarding Karl) of where the castaways are headed, he finally puts the pieces together - Juliet betrayed them. Ben decides that he will meet the castaways at or on their way to the radio tower; Alex says she wants to go along. Much to her surprise, Ben agrees. A very key moment is when Richard confronts Ben. He comes straight out and tells Ben, because of his lies and deception, that the Others are questioning his leadership. But they still follow his orders.

We are back in the 'Looking Glass.' Desmond, after nearly being killed by Mikhail, jumps in the ocean water and arrives at the station. Charlie quickly tells him to hide. The women of the hatch did not notice Desmond. They heard talking of some sort, but Charlie assures them that he was just singing -- Everyone, together now! 'You all everybody, you all everybody!' --

After a commercial break, we see Jack at the hospital. He wants to operate on a woman who has a severe spinal injury. He keeps being labeled a 'Hero' because of his actions in rescuing the woman and her child. Back on the island, the castaways are still heading to the radio tower. Sawyer tells Jack that he is going back to the beach. Juliet joins. Mikhail arrives at the 'Looking Glass,' contacts Ben and has numerous questions, the main one being 'why has Ben continued to lie and deceive.' Ben (we are to assume) regains Mikhail's allegiance, and instructs him to kill Charlie, Gretta and Bonnie. Juliet and Sawyer are making their way back to the beach when an eager Hurley appears and asks to come along, to help them. Just as Charlie had said in 'Greatest Hits,' Sawyer refuses his help and generalizes that Hurley's physical weight will just hurt their cause, not help.

We finally see Locke. He, too, is suicidal, and about to pull the trigger on his gun to kill himself, when he hears a familiar voice. He looks up, and it is Walt. Walt instructs him to get up, get out of the ditch because 'they have work to do.' Locke smiles. And I smile, because Locke is going to be just fine.

This is the end of Hour One. Phenomenal. I loved it. My review for the second hour will be posted soon.
  • Excellent Season Finale

After an underwhelming Heroes season finale, it took something like this to get me geared up for television again.
    I'll keep it short.
    Awesome Charlie dying scene. In two weeks I've done a 180 on my opinion on that guy. Just in time for him to die. But a really worthy death scene. Funny stuff with Hurley. A little conceited with the "I saved them all" stuff, but he earned it.
    Also, Jack is back in my good graces now. He stopped being a douschebag and I actually started liking him (both current and """flashback""" versions). And as for the proverbial snake in the mailbox, well let's just say it's going to be hell making it to next February. They've had me hooked for years, but even moreso now. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.
  • YES! the surviors finally kill a buch of those Others, Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok sorry about that, let me try that again.

This episode is a two parter and better yet its a two parter season finale so their always good and filled with development.
    Now while thats the case the first part of the two parters are usually just set up for the second half. Not much happens in most cases it's alot of talking, reserving the fighting and the juicie scence for the second half.

The action scenes for this episode happen a little after the begining and end their as well (aside from Charlie being beaten up by two hot ladies). But it's wwhat happens in those short action scens that really mean alot to me, and it's not the effects its who gets hurt or in this case blown to bits!

Ok let me go back a bit and explain myself before you think i'm a pyro maniac. The Others are coming to raid the Surviors camp and kidnap all of their pregnate women and babies. they'll know where they are because their double adgent Juliet will have the tents marked. But Juliet turns out to be a double-double adgent and tells Jack what the Other's leader (Ben Lieanus) has ordered her to do. Jack comes up with a diabolic (and un-charecteristic) idea of putting dynimite in decoy tents and having Juliet mark them, so when the Others come to raid the tents, expecting to find valnerble pregnate women or helpless babies, they'll insted be blow to bits. And it worked to about(my guess any way)a dozenof them blew up!

Now here's the part were I explain why this Thrills me and why I'm writing this review based of it. Well it's really quite simple, i Hate those Hypocrite, Murdering, Mind games playing Others! Here are the reason's why I hate them (aside from Alex, Juliet and Karl)
    First of all they are so self absorbed and so full of themselves (now i know thats everyone on a reality show) they think that they are good and right and everyone else (off the island) is Eviland wrong, now thats psycologically a correct way of thinking when your on differnt sides. But these people started a war with plane crash victims, for no reason other then they thought they were a threat and could get their island discovered.Which is stupid since these people have lived on the island for many yearsso they shouldknow it's not a normal island! So logicly it will be impossible to find! Espeacially from a plane that went off corse and lost raido conact before they crashed.
    Second: They are Kidnapping People and forceing them to stay on the island Forever. Now I can understandwhy their doing it to pregnate women, cause women who get prgnateon the island die But I do not suport their twisted logic for raising the babies as their own and killing the birth mothers!
    Third I really hate big over confident people who act like nothing can touch them so they screw with you when ever they like, and these guys are all talk, in this season we have discoved that only a few of them are truely hard core like Ethan (Juilet is one of them) so seeing them get owned like that and having their plan fall to dust was quite satisfying.

These people act like their all that but they don't even understand all of the mysteries of the island! not even their leader Ben know's more then the basic Lost fan. And why couldn't they just give the surviors a small moter boat (like with mike and walt) or i know why not give them a trip in your secret Sub and dump them on an island closer to rescue! Who will belive anything they say, the world will think their like Tom Hanks in the Castaway!

so this was a good episode and a good start to the season fianlly. I'll write a more detailed review of this two parter later, I don't want to spoil it for you just wanted to point out the best part in my opion.
    It's like sweet revenge. Sweet, Sweet, Explosion Revenge

• A really ambiguous cliffhanger, I think that the viewers deserves more clues. Nevertheless is the best show ever.

I don't like the finale, sorry I don't like to criticize the show but I was specting something more that what I saw. No surprising deaths, except Tom, but he don't impact to me. A really ambiguous cliffhanger, I think that the viewers deserves more clues to speculate with the next episode, it is a long time to think in Kate's sadness during 8 moths. Nevertheless is the best show ever.
  • Jack leads the survivors to the radio tower to shut off Rouseau's signal

Interesting developments including some Jack-centric flashbacks, that turn out not to be flashbacks at all, but flash-forwards, to a life after the island.

Another interesting development is the return, a one-off perhaps, of former series-regular Walt, who manages to rouse John Locke and prevents him committing suicide.

The first part of this two-part finale was a great set-up for the second part, with plenty of tantalising hints to keep people watching and some hints for the new season as well.

Another 'twist' was the storyline of Ben being afraid of some other Others, the really, realy bad guys. I'm sure there will be more about them in future episodes.
< 1 2 3 4