Lost

Through the Looking Glass (1)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• Hate to say it, but yeah, this is the episode that changes everything

And here we are at the end of the season. When I initially watched this episode, I was somewhat disappointed because I'd heard certain things about it that weren't true. I'd heard that the flashback would tell us what Jack did during the week he was held by the Others before Kate and Sayid came to 'rescue' him. Obviously, that didn't happen. They also told us that a lot of major characters were going to die, and while some did, the body count was low (actually I'm grateful for that). But mostly it was because of what we saw in the 'flashback'. By now, anyone whose been a loyal follower of the show knows what I'm talking about, but I'm going to continue my role and reveal only what I saw at the time.

The episode is Jack centric, but if you're trying to figure out when this happened, it's pretty hard. We can tell that Jack looks even worse than he did in any other time in his past, only now he's still tossing back pills to go with the drinking. He's grown a the somewhat infamous 'beard', and he spends all of the flashes looking like he's in a state of near collapse, though he's trying to remain normal. Hell, let's call a spade a spade--- Jack's become his father, drunk, belligerent, and trying to do his job when he's in no condition to do so. His ex-wife (who is obviously pregnant) wants nothing more to do with him, and he seems positively loathe to call himself a hero. When he sees an article in the paper (we'll come back to this) it's the final blow. We can tell he's done, and when we see him on the bridge in the teaser, it takes all of his effort to get off the bridge and pull people out of the wreckage. What we can't figure out yet is what has brought him to this state (and we won't learn until Season 4), but he looks beaten.

The episode begins just a short while after the last one. Sayid has more determination than we've seen all season.--- the soldier prepared to lead his troops into battle. He orders that no matter what happens that Jack and his group keep moving towards the radio tower--- and you know that's not going to happen. Something's going to go wrong. We just don't know what.

Under water, Charlie is being beaten severely by the two women under the station--- their names are Bonnie and Greta, Bonnie is particularly brutal and they want answers. Charlie seems particularly relaxed--- particularly when he sees the flashing bulb that Desmond described in his final vision-- and is more than willing to talk. This is actually a good thing because it forces them to transmit to Ben--- who is not at all glad to hear from them.

Ben's authority has been spiraling out of control, and now it really begins to uncurl. He has been lying to everybody about this, and when radio silence is broken, he's in pretty bad shape with his people. When he learns about this, he realizes Juliet has betrayed them, and radios his people on the beach--- and it's almost too late. Sayid and Bernard fire swift and sure; Jin doesn't (he still manages to kill two of them anyway). Tom and two others survive by pure luck, and manage to capture them. Bernard, not wanting to see his friends die, tells them everything, and Ben learns just how broken his own house truly is. He tries to maintain command---- he sends Mikhail down to the Looking Glass, orders Richard to continue to the temple (what the hell is that?) and prepares to intercept the survivors before they reach the radio tower. But now his schemes are falling apart. Richard, who was losing faith before, is now openly disturbed, and Alex demands to go with her father, and he agrees to take her--- too quickly, actually.

When the survivors hear only two explosions, they know something has gone wrong, and it isn't long before several of them demand to return. Rose and Sun, not surprisingly, are the most open about it, but they are willing to relent when Jack tells them to keep moving. Kate, however, is more persistent. As is her custom, she flip-flops between the men in her life. She goes to Sawyer, because she knows that Jack won't listen. He refuses to help her, and remains very cold to her, though he doesn't say why. Sawyer then tells Jack he's going back to help, and then tells Kate he didn't agree because he didn't want to go back with her. (Ouch.) Juliet then agrees to go back, lying about a cache of guns, because she wants to help. It's hard to understand why she'd want to, but she clearly feels she owes her. And then after they head back, Hurley comes up behind them demanding to help. Just like Charlie did, Sawyer says (in surprisingly gentle terms) that he'd just get in the way. What we don't know is that Hurley has just about had enough of this.

Back at the rowboat, Desmond regains consciousness, only to find himself dodging bullets when Mikhail begins shooting at him. With nowhere else to go, he dives after Charlie and has the good fortune to make it back when Bonnie and Greta are bickering over what to do with him. By now Bonnie clearly wants to kill him, and is only stopped when Mikhail emerges from the briny deep. (Where he got the scuba gear is yet another question the show doesn't answer. Then again; they had to have a way to get to the Station without the submarine.) He's clearly stunned to see them, and even more appalled to learn that Ben has been jamming the signal without anyone else's knowledge. He takes a very long time between the transmissions, and it's clear that he has lost faith in Ben, if he ever had any.

I think we left someone out--- oh yeah, Locke. He finally regains consciousness in the pit where Ben left him for dead. Now, every time Locke regains consciousness after he has fallen, the first thing he checks are his legs. This time, they fail him, and he feels the greatest despair he's felt on the island, at least since his misjudgment led to the destruction of the hatch. He finds the energy to pick up his gun, find a bullet in the chamber, and press it to his forehead. But a split second before he pulls the trigger Walt appears in a vision and orders him to get out of the ditch. For the first time in a long time a smile crosses Locke's face. It probably wasn't the real Walt (for one thing, he was quite a bit taller and had a deeper voice than the last time Locke saw him) but it is a message, and Locke clearly believes it.

Quite a lot of business going on in the first part of 'Through the Looking Glass'. Turns out, the biggest shocks of the season are still to come, and there will be blood and twists galore. They sure know how to end a season.
    My score: 9