Lost

Through the Looking Glass (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• Season Shocker

We start off with Jack leading the Surviors along with Juilet, Karl, Daneil and Naomi Dorret to the radio statio to turn off Daneil's radio transmisson that has been broadcasting for 16 years, once they do that they can broadcast a signal of their own to Naomi's Ship which is near the island. But before they can do that the under water station codename: The Looking Glass, is jamming any signal from leaving the island, so Desmound and Charlie have to shut it down which seemed easy at first, but they were informed that the station was flooded and no one was in their, which turrned out to be false. And finally back on the beach Tom Friendly and four others have Sayid, Jin and Bernard tied up and at gun point, they areintching to shoot them cause their still uppissed at them for tricking them and blowing up most of their team mates.
    Back to Jack's group; their almost to the station but no one seem's to be in high spirits because their worrid about the three men they left at the beach and the jamming signal has yet to bt turned of. Jack doesn't want to split into group's for fear of falling into an Other trap, but he does let Juilet and Sawyer head back with Hurrly tagging along. Once they get over a big hill they see the evil leader of the Others, Ben their;He wants to talk.

He and Jack take their talk in private. Ben tells Jack that the people on the boat arne't who they say they, they are as he puts it the 'bad guys' and ben tells Jack to givehe theRadio phone so Naomi can never contact her ship. Ben's resoning for this is that he must protect the island and that he is, as he put's it a 'good guy'
    Now here is what I would have said if I was Jack
    "Well Ben if your such a good guy then whyhave you kidnapping people, ordering your ownpeople to kill each otherbehind their backs, and why have you been holding my new girlfriend (Juliet) hostage for three years without contact to her family, while you sexually harased her and made her try to save pregnete women who were already byond saving. But Ben if you were a Good guy, I mean a real good guy, they why is it you never invited me or myflight 815 crash buddies to your island sububrs complete with homely features and in door plumbing, if you were a good guy home come you never did that!"
    Now things don't go well for Jack and Ben so Ben orders Tom to shoot Jin, Sayid andBenard over the walkie, three gun shoots are heared and Jack beats the S**** out of Ben and ties him up. The only reason Jack is keeping him alive is so he can see them get off the island and then he's going to kill Benknowing he failed.

While Ben is not a good guy in my eyes,i have to ammit he isn't all bad since he ordered Tom not to actually shoot the three prisoners but insted to shoot three bullets in the sand. a little while later Hurrly comes to the resue with the DARMAH bus that he,Jin and Sawyer helped fix in episode 'Tricia Tanaka is dead' (which now makes that episode more meaningful), so Hurrly runs over one of the Others, which causes a divergen that allows Juliet and Sawyer to seal theirguns and shoot them, thus saving the day.The funniest and most melow moment in this episode is whenHurrly contacts Jack's group by useingBen's walkie telling them the good news.

I won't go into detail about what happens at the Looking Glass station, other then the jammer was turned off and Charlie died a hero.

Just as Naomi is about to contact her ship Locke throws a knife at herwhich renders her either dead or unconsius. Locke says that they should not contact that ship, that its a mistake and that their here for a reason. Jack and Locke have a faceoff, Best one they've ever had thus far, it end with Jacks victory and the ship is contacted and it is on their way every thing works out in the end.

Or does it? a 'Flashforward' into the futre reveals a druken bearded Jack wanting to go back to the island.
    This is what as known as an epic season end (and an Ironic end as well)

• We've got one last shock for you, and this makes it a whole new ballgame

We'll ignore the flashes for now,, and get right back into the drama. The episode begins with the meeting of Jack and Ben. Both men have had major challenges to their leadership this season, and while Jack's is fragile, Ben's has all but run out of gas. His approach seems a bit absurd. He calls Jack out, tells them that Naomi represented a party who has interests that are very detrimental to the island, and demands that Jack give him the satellite phone, or he will order the murders of the men on the beach. This is Jack's biggest confrontation yet, and he faces up to it, even though he's clearly torn. When the shots are fired, he then proceeds to beat Ben until his knuckles are bloody.

What Jack doesn't know is how badly Ben's leadership has deteriorated. Ryan has disobeyed orders and has not killed any of them yet. This leads to one of the most joyous scenes in the episode. Juliet and Sawyer have made it back to the island, but they don't have any weapons. So who saves the day? Hurley, in the Dharma-mobile! Driving the van that he kept working all this time, he runs Ryan down like a video game pedestrian.. In quick succession, Sayid executes the second gunmen, and Tom, the sole survivor has no choice but to surrender. Sawyer then cold-bloodedly shoots him in the chest, showing that he has fallen into the darkness after killing Cooper. He will emerge from it eventually, but it's going to take a lot.

In the Looking Glass, things have reached a climax there. Mikhail clearly doubts Ben's leadership as well, but nevertheless he follows through on the orders, killing Greta, and mortally wounding Bonnie. Before he can finish the job, Desmond emerges and shoots him with a spear-gun. That should be the end of it, but it's not. Charlie then manages to get Bonnie to give him the codes for the transmitter--- and she does so by saying the codes were programmed by a musician. Now we think we know the reason Charlie had to be here. And for a split second, Charlie thinks maybe this has all been a test, and he won't have to die.. Then a transmission comes through--- it's Penelope. But before she can even see her beloved again, she let's a critical piece of information--- she didn't send the boat. Before anything else can be learned, Mikhail emerges like the messiah with a hand grenade, and blows the porthole. The station will soon flood, but when Charlie sees what's coming he doesn't hesitate, and uses his last bit of strength to send Desmond the message. I defy you to watch the scene as poor Charlie's crosses himself before drowning--- it's the most heartbreaking moment of the season.

(On a side note, what has happened to Mikhail? One would think that the hand grenade would have killed him, but one could have made the same assumption of the spear in the chest? Was he immortal? Probably not, as Ben assumes that he could kill him. Whatever the reason, it seems to be another mystery we'll never see resolved as he hasn't reappeared. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up in the last season.)

We also get a pretty moving reunion as Rousseau finally comes face to face with Alex.. They haven't seen each other for sixteen years, but they clearly have a bond, as their first act is to tie Ben up like a dog. They make it to the radio tower at last, and the message that has been playing for sixteen years and seven months is finally taking off the loop. Naomi then begins to finally receive a transmission, when suddenly she gets a knife in the back--- from Locke. Somehow, the island has told him where the radio tower is, and though he couldn't have known anything about Naomi, he doesn't hesitate in trying to kill her. (She isn't quite dead yet, but that's another story.) He then tells Jack straight up, we're not supposed to leave, which is exactly the message that Ben has been trying to tell Jack. Speaking of which, when Ben sees Locke walking, he looks stunned, as if he finally realizes John may be as important as everyone thinks. Locke holds a gun on Jack, and threatens to kill him, but for some reason, like with his father just a few days earlier, he cannot follow through. Jack makes contact with the freighter, we see signs of joy....

.... and then the episode plays it's little trick. We do one more flash with Jack, who has been degenerated in each one, driving wildly, trying to get a refill on a prescription, and stealing drugs from the hospital pharmacy. What throws us is that Jack mentions his father and speaks as if he's still alive. We still think were in the past, then... Jack calls someone to meet him at the airport. That someone is Kate. And we realize in a moment of shock that this is the future.. Then we learn that every Friday Jack goes flying from LA to the Far East (particularly Australia) each time praying for a crash. The only explanation that comes to mind: he wants to go back to the island. We can't figure out why yet, and Kate is particularly dismissive, but the episode ends on that plea.

To be perfectly honest when I first saw the last couple of minutes of this episode, I thought that the show had just jumped the shark in the biggest way possible. I thought that (like in J.J. Abrams other series Alias) that he was rewriting the rule book and it would take as well. Clearly, I didn't have the confidence in Carlton and Damon that I do now. They've managed to travel from that point to this with alacrity and upping the stake in each succeeding season, and it is still possible than this will be no better placed than I did with Chris Carter and the X-Files. But maybe they knew what they're doing.

Right now, the biggest question is who was at the funeral. The article at the paper Jack got in Part One was clearly an obituary. In the opening of the second part, Jack went to the funeral home to find nobody there, and the casket was closed. Asked if he was friend or family, he clearly says: "Neither." When he tells Kate about it, she regards it with even more disdain, leading us to believe that it was someone we've already met on the plane that they both knew. I didn't try to freeze frame the shots with the paper, so I didn't get caught p with those people who try to squeeze every single detail out of each episode, so I didn't try to answer the question. At the time I thought it was Christian Shephard, later that it was Sawyer. Everyone now knows who was in the coffin, but I'll save the surprise--- especially since I'm still not convinced that someone is dead yet.

Even knowing some of the twists and turns that are ahead doesn't change the fact that this episode is an extraordinary ending, mostly because of the remarkable acting of Matthew Fox. He runs the complete gamut of emotions in this episode, and in retrospect, his scenes in the flash forwards are astonishing acting. He looks angry and disdainful, pathetic and wrathful, and the episodes last five minutes, goes from his point of greatest elation --- the eminent rescue--- to the shell he seems to be when Kate meets with him. Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson get the lion's share of the acclaim, but Fox is clearly at their level, and this episode proves it.

Equally remarkable is the work of Jorge Garcia. Hurley has been feeling useless, but now he emerges as the most unlikely of heroes, up to the point of bragging that he has taken out the Others on the beach. The sad part is, this may be the best moment of Hugo's life, and in a matter of minutes (relatively speaking) he will be struck back to zero
    By the end of 'Through the Looking Glass' Ben is warning them that if this call, it will be the beginning of the end. And this episode is considering that the structure that exists. But one question has been answered--- rescue will come to the passengers of Oceanic 815. However, they probably won't be able to escape the island.
    My score: 10
  • I'm not one to dish out 10's EVER, but I feel like sometimes, there are episodes of television that just set the standard for everything else. This is one of those episodes.

As I mentioned in the summary, I've given maybe two 10's to episodes before, and I didn't give them easily. It's hard for a lot of episodes to symbolize perfection, mostly because there's always at least one little plotline that drags it down, or maybe some boring moments. However, Through The Looking Glass, along with a select few other television show episodes, is able to deliver with the intensity, action and mystery that the writers and directors promised, along with rebooting the show in one of the most amazing twists ever.

Through The Looking Glass focuses on a plot that was introduced a couple episodes previous: Ben and the rest of the Others are planning on raiding the survivor's camp in order to kidnap their pregnant women. However, due to Juliet turning on them, Jack and the rest of the group are able to formulate a plan to kill the Others for good. While Jack prepares this, he also plans on taking the rest of the camp to a radio tower, where they'll use Naomi's phone to call for help on her freighter. While they set up that plan, everything hinges on Charlie, who prepares to face the death that Desmond had been predicting all season. He enters the Looking Glass station underwater only to find a couple of Others who are running the station. While he attempts to disarm the jamming mechanism that is preventing Jack from calling the freighter, he also most deal with these two women who want to stop him at any cost.. Oh yeah, and Ben is furious upon hearing about the freighter and treks across the island to stop them.

I summarize all of this for people who haven't seen it (or even have seen it) because this two hour season finale never feels as long as it is. Each plot flows effortlessly into one another, and although we're given more questions as time goes on, a lot of them are wrapped up at the same time.. well, not wrapped up, but there's certainly some forward momentum, and that's good for a season that spent a majority of it wasting time doing nothing.

There are a number of incredible moments that stand out above anything else the show has done, including the entire fight between the survivors and the Others. The anguish on Jack's face as he faces the reality that Sayid, Bernard and Jin may have to die in order for them to get rescued was heart-breaking and it was cathartic for us, the audience, to watch Ben once again get the crap beaten out of him.

Through The Looking Glass isn't only an example of great television, but it shows how a show can sidestep growing stale by introducing a completely new story telling device. I always knew flashbacks would grow stale, but Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse set up the episode so we would have no idea what was going on. The flash forward was perfect, holding their cards to their chest until the final scene, where it's bookended with the promise of rescue.

And who can say enough about Charlie's final appearance (at least as a main character)? It was a great death, not over hyped or over done, but filmed in a way that still made us feel great sadness. Charlie, along with Hurley, were always great comic reliefs, and the way the previous episode, Greatest Hits, tied in with this one almost makes me see Greatest Hits as equally important to this one. And the chills I get on seeing Charlie write "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand never goes away, even after a second or third viewing.

It seems unlikely that Lost will able to one-up this finale, but the fact that a show can still provide impressive episodes like this is a testament to the show's talent. Nothing against the fourth and fifth season finales, but this one was perfect, not hinting at what the twist could be until the last few minutes. For a show that was threatening to grow stale and seemed to be close to losing people's interest, they come along with an episode like this and completely prove everybody wrong. One of the best two hours of TV I've seen, and I can't be budged on that.
  • Season finale,end of lost

I can't lie,lost was my favorite show ever,i used to watch everyday,everynight,the characters were awesome,the plots,the misterys,the dialogues,the deaths,the twists,everything.
    Now this season finale ends lost for me,because after this episode lost turns a unreal,cliche,random,forced and weak show,there is no sense anymore,the misterys are just like "because i'm dead,because he is my son,because i'm gonna kill jacob,because i can fly"Where the hell is claire?Some kind of demon just sucked up her soul??!What's with leaving sun alive and killing daniel?She sucks ass!And what's with the death fetish?ALL CHARACTERS I LOVED ARE DEAD!This is a very lame way to destroy a very good show =/
  • It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor.

Like Allen Iverson, Lost's writers are the kings of making you feel certain that they're going one way and in a flash go in the complete opposite direction, leaving you dead in your tracks with nary an option but to just sit and marvel at the level of creative trickery in their employ. It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. By the final episodes of Lost's third season it was becoming fairly easy to predict what any given episode had in store: the unexpected. We all knew that the season finale would answer a few questions, raise even more and brilliantly leave us in anticipation of the next season. But just like watching the launch of a space shuttle, that awe-inspiring spectacle of man's ingenuity, the more times you see it, the less powerful it becomes. You still know it's a beautiful sight and recognize the amount of time and energy that went into it's creation, but the awe and wonder of that first viewing have started to fade. So how to dazzle an audience already desensitized by so many great plot twists? Hit them with something so unexpected that it makes them feel like they're watching it for the first time... again!

And so, in what will go down as arguably the best cliffhanger in television history, those geniuses at the writer's table penned those famous final words that will be forever etched in my mind: "We have to go back, Kate. We Have To Go Back!!!" It was with those words that my jaw and my living room floor became good friends for the next few days... months... hell, I still haven't gotten over this one! There are very few occasions when something leaves me virtually speechless and in those rarest of moments I'm reduced to a decidedly ineloquent (some might even say vulgar) three word phrase. It's usually reserved for major events in my life that come out of nowhere and strike me with enough emotion that I just simply can't think of anything else to say. This may be the only time that a television show has elicited such a reaction. Indeed, just seconds after Jack reveals that what we have been watching are in fact flash-forwards to the present, I heard myself utter those three words that always signal the screeching halt of my brain functions: "Holy... sh*t... dude..."
  • Is there a flashFORWARD option?

Because there should be.

Lost brought the concept of flashbacks back into prominence on TV prompting shows like the failed Reunion and Heroes to mock their format. Just when you thought they couldn't be anymore innovative they unveil the flashforward concept.

They're finally off the island and we had the 7 months to ponder just what is going on. While people liked the revived creativity in Season 4 I felt like it was a letdown set by this strong episode, but this two part finale sure did have its strong points. A great Desmond/Charlie storyline and Ben being beaten senseless.

Just a truly great two hours.
  • I am really glad that most fans have voted this the best episode because so have I up until now (Season 6 Ep 11)

This episode was simply breathtaking, particularly the ending which was a cliffhanger which simply pushed you physically over a cliff! No doubt the best episode to date - just perfect. I am glad that Ab Aeterno is second as I had it down as second too. It is a different kind of episode focusing on 1 character only rather than including virtually all characters as Through The Looking Glass Does. Both episodes are nigh on perfect - from the writing, to the directing to the acting - they deliver on all fronts - I could watch them over and over again - they are that good
  • caters to law & order fans. (i do have to say that every island-based-scene was superb)

2.5
    what was once a show about damaged people coping with extraordinary circumstances & finding redemption on an island for their shady past has now become a show about filling in the blanks. it's a totally different show now. instead of the usual flashback, in this season's finale we got the flashforward which gave us the end of the entire series. :o what's the point of watching now? the entire nature of the show has changed. unless they tell us that the flashfowards belonged to desmond, we know that many of them do leave the island, but more importantly, that it is wrong for them to leave the island. the hero of the show ends up a depressed suicidal mess & he does not get the girl. thanks to all the complaints from the simple minded viewers who expect everything to be spoon-fed to them with a thunk-thunk sound, the show gave us this horrible attempt at "giving us answers" which instead gave us 1 too many. the ultimate goal of getting off the island has been resolved. from now on, any episode that deals with island mysteries will appear to be filler unless it furthers the sequence of events that get them off the island. we know how many episodes until the show ends so all suspense is gone. it was a terrible idea to placate morons who don't understand a show about people. "through the looking glass" makes me angry to this day! hopefully they will find a way to negate those flashes of jack in his beard. if they don't, the show doesn't even need to be watched anymore, because we know how it ends.
  • In part 2 of LOST's third season finale Charlie dies, Locke 'has work to do', Jack and kate 'have to go back' and oh yeah ... Sayid snaps a guys neck with his legs.

After watching almost 5 seasons of LOST this remains the greatest episode the show has produced. After part 1 of the two hour show we were left with Locke in a pit being told he had 'work to do' by what seemed a two foot bigger Walt, it turned out that his work was to throw a knife in Naomi from the freighters back in attempt to stop Jack from leaving the island. For some reason Locke thought that tossing a dagger into an unarmed womens back would convince Jack that he was completley sane. Naomi was only one of the three prominent deaths that occured in the show (I won't count the people who Hurley mowed down in VW van as prominent)as Tom (aka 'guy with the fake beard') and Charlie met their match. Tom's was a bullet in the chest, while Charlie just managed to write 'not penny's boat' on his hand before drowning. We all know who the boat belonged to now but at the time it left us asking a lot of questions about what the hell Naomi was actually doing (Jack could have asked her but Locke didn't exactly give him chance). If that wasn't enough we got a look in Jacks life off the island as he became addicted to pain killers, tried to top himslef and visited Hoffs/Drawler funeral parlour after reading something very upsetting in the obituary part of a newspaper. All of this culminated in Jack finally making the phone call that rescued the ocenaic 815 survivors only for us to find that life in the real world wasn't all it's cracked up to be, when in one of the greatest twists I've ever seen on TV revealed that Jack's flash backs were in fact flash forwards and he and kate 'had to go back'.
  • That was the best thing I have ever witnessed on Television!

I think a lot of people will agree with me, when I say Lost is the greatest Drama/Adventure series of our time. This last episode of this season was evidence of this.

I was on the edge of my seat... Truly spectacular ending to the series. Revealed so much. I must say I expected a bigger fight between Locke and Jack... but I was still very satisfied.

That future flashback thing they did was excellent. I simply cannot WAIT for the next season...

Screw Heroes finale... I am sticking with Lost.
  • O.K... so we all know that what we have here it's one of the best (if not the best) episode yet, but...

...Oh my God!!! a flash-forward episode... the writers are so talented, I can't believe this! Now as the promo quotes: "everything is going to change" they were damn right about it! Season 4... we'll wait for you with arms wide open. This season wasn't the best of Lost, yes, but this last few episodes were just amazing, and this season finale... wow... oh wow... after the "stupid" (and THAT'S the word that suits that episode) season finale of HEROES we get this... Lost shows just HOW to make a great season finale, and just HOW to make the fans getting anxious about the upcoming season next year. Keep the good and crazy work! congratulations! 10! maybe a 9.9 just because Charlie (tears here) died... it was a good move for the show, but I like Charlie, we'll miss you Charlie.
  • The game changer while clever, not terribly exciting. *possible spoilers*

The game changer while clever, not terribly exciting,
    The camera angles seemed very unlost at time, the panoramic view of the tower, the camera flicking between ben and jack, the dodgy punching camera, also, over violent, incoherent, very patchy, it didn't feel like lost.

It feels unresolved, the actual episode itself, not the game changer, the ending feels midpoint rather than final, conclusive, resolved.

Season 1 ends without a resolution, but it still wow'd with a sense of wonderment, a reverse flashback, was so-so, remember hurley? In the grand scheme of things within the story arc perhaps it will pay off, but as a season finally, very poor, very.
  • Second season = best TV season ever. Third season = biggest disappointment ever.

Wow. Horrible. Thanks ABC for hyping this up again, and failing to deliver ANYTHING. And you want us all to wait until next year for the next episode? Whatever. I'm done. Actually, I'll end up watching just because I want to know what's going on, but I won't like it.

I'm seriously PO'd at this whole season. You can't make something that the viewer knows nothing about your main focus of your show. The second season had a perfect balance of having the mysteries surround the survivors, but this season it's like the writers just rub it in the viewer's face that they don't know what's going on.

A disappointing end to a disappointing season.
  • An annoying season finale.....

7.6
    Spoilers....

I guessed almost right away that the flashback was a "future flash". I'm trying hard not to be upset but all this season 3 cliffhanger did was piss me off to no avail. Jack continues to evolve into the most annoying character on the show. So they get off the island? How? What boat if the boat is not Penny's boat. Will everyone be killed as Ben predicted, if so how did Jack and Kate survive? I will say this though, the death scene of charlie was beautifully done and really gave his character a great send off.
  • The most amazing 2 hours of TV history.

This episode had to be the single greatest episode of any show i've ever watched. So many twists and turns and moments that make your mouth drop. And then gets toped off with the biggest shocker in LOST history. Yes I cried when Charlie died, and was mad that Mikhail got away again. It makes me furious that Naomi isn't who she said she was. But in the end of the episode when we learned that we weren't watching flashbacks through out the episode, but flash forwards, I just couldn't believe it. We now know that at least Kate and Jack make it off the island. But we don't know who died. Can't wait until next season.
  • the greatest show ever made.

I have had dreams of the things so similar to what happen to the oceanic filght 815. My god, its so damn complicated. Man its like so wierd. Its my mind compressed in on television sitcom. Make the emmys come in, the most worthy thing ever. For years ive only watch the simpsons, but LOST is the greates thing ever. If I were to expierence that, id be like Jack. How do you escape people of all sorts dying and having make new friends. And when youre online with people on a chatroom or have a friendship with lots of people, and battle struggles, and able to get out of it. You really want it to happen again, but it wont be the same. Peace and love.
  • Is this the end?

7.7
    I gotta be honest, I didn't like it. First of all Charlie died which was one of my favorite charaters and secondly, why didn't we see the survivors get rescued. It must have been a writer's strike or something because it seemed like they just threw that one in there because they ran out of ideas. It seem like we missed something because it went stright to the sccene where Jack meets up with Kate at the end. Hello!!! what happend to everybody else. I thought the writers could have put together a better story line for the ending of the third season.
  • Season Finale -» The GameChanger Make this epiosde Perfect!!!

Objective/Details - » What are important for the Season Finale? The best Tension and The Best drama possible to be delivered. This is what people can remember later and rate it an 10. All the players are in their position.

Flashbacks -» What seemed to be a insignificant flashback, turned to be a huge cliffhanger, a game changer, bloody hell, after the last scene, you are obligated to revise all scenes, just to notice the details- This was a mater piece. 100% unexpected.

Event on The Island -» The Scene give the order to Kill Sayid, Bernard and Jin, well very good.

Charlie and Desmond -» Even here we have deaths. Charlie death was one of the most saddest Scenes ever made in TV history.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Nothing.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. After the last scene of this episode, you will want to watch again the entire episode.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold*. Well, you really can´t expect what Lost producers set for you.

4 - Action: Gold. Nice Save and more deaths.

5 - Funny: ?

6 - Drama: Charlie death is enough.

7 - Tension/Fear: There is one scene there has it all.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold*. It is impossible not to be excited for the season finale of Lost.

This Season Finale, mirror what this season delivered. At the beginning, the season started very slow, just delaying what was important to know, even the flashbacks managed here to have more surprises than the events on the Island. The first 10 episodes, only Desmond episode was absolutely mind blowing. After episode 10, the producers started to deliver the best material that they had saved and this was the salvation of this season. From episode 11 – 21, you have some brilliant episodes, only one episode fails to deliver great emotions. This season ends with a perfect image, with many secrets revealed and with something that nobody expected that would happen so soon, when there is 3 seasons to end this show.
  • The Rattlesnake in the Mailbox

After the best run of episodes on "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" pretty much had to be absolutely phenomenal Series finale of any shows ever aired and also the Most Shocking Revelations Ever. A brilliant action/adventure epic balanced by a real care for and attention to the characters who remain the core of "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" really feels like a top quality feature film, much like all of the other finales.

Almost all of the core characters are given a key role here, some of the dialogue, both dramatic and comedic, is absolutely excellent (although there are one or two bad lines as well), and the Jack-as-Moses stuff really does work. Charlie and Desmond get some of the meatiest stuff in the episode, and Charlie's death scene is really very well-done. Now that I've seen this episode at least five times, however, I can safely say that I don't like it as much as "Live Together, Die Alone", which was simply a superior achievement in almost every way, and fell short of this only in that it didn't have a massive game-changing shock ending which took everyone by surprised. That's not intended as a criticism of "Through the Looking Glass", but merely further praise for the simply phenomenal "Live Together, Die Alone". Also, "Through the Looking Glass" had a much better follow-up than "Live Together, Die Alone", but really in comparing the two episodes much more appeals to me in "Live Together, Die Alone".

"Through the Looking Glass" boasts perfect performances from basically the entire cast, I think that Matthew Fox gives his best performance here. A lot of people say that the flashforwards aren't interesting on their own, that they only become interesting when you find out that they're flashforwards. This might be true of the first viewing (though even then they are more enigmatic and mysterious than any other Jack-based off-island stories), but on repeat viewings I find them absolutely fascinating and iconic, though, I admit, not as great as Desmond's flashbacks in "Live Together, Die Alone". Matthew Fox's performance is a big part of my enjoyment of the flashforwards, but the coffin mystery, the dark, dark moment where Jack nearly jumps off the bridge, the one shot looking down at Jack and the coffin, and the final scene with Kate are all very memorable aspects of the episode.

On the island the story is very action/adventure based and works very well on those terms, with both the action scenes here being among the better ones on the show. Jack Bender does a great job of directing the episode and by the time you've gotten to the ending, which, let's face it, is what most people talk about in relation to the episode, you've already enjoyed some of the finest populist entertainment around, and with some amount of intelligence as well.
  • Excellent almost finale of this show, creating new expectations and possibilities about the survivors leaving the island.

Well, this episode is very thrilling and exciting, because, besides the fact the survivors finally get to contact "outside help" by Naomi's sat phone, it seems that everything will not turn right for the survivors. This episode shows flashes of Jack's future life outside the island, and he is showing a very big desire to return to the island, so, that means that something went bad when they were rescued.
    Also, it is quite intriguing the fact that Naomi wasn't who she claimed to be, just before he dies, Charlie discovered that the boat near the island (the one where Naomi came) is not a rescue boat for Desmond, as he spoke with Penelope and she told him that she never had a crew rescuing Desmond, so, what will this boat be? Is Ben right about this new people? Also, I felt a little sad for Charlie, because finally he got to kiss Claire and then, he is death! What Claire would do? Did she love him?
    Also, I think there is a production mistake, when Locke is laying down on the graveyard suddenly, Walt shows up, well, he seem obviously a lot BIGGER on age and size, and, on the show, only passed at least one month since he was kidnapped from the boat, so, he couldn't be that big.
    Even I am a little late on this show (just finished the 3rd season), I think I must have another lost marathon right away of the season 4, I need to know more, and that is why I watch this show, it is very intriguing
  • "We were not supposed to leave" The second island purge is played out, Charlie makes an heroic sacrifice, Ben is beaten to a pulp, the freighter is contacted and Jack and Kate are seen to have left the island...but now have to go back!

As with Season 2 the highlight of Season 3 was this finale. It has earned its place as my new favourite episode of them all, beating the Season 2 finale. Certainly this season's finale is more epic than Season 2's "Live Together, Die Alone" and taps into many more of Lost's strengths. I had complained at the beginning of the season at the lack of adventure, which probably had something to do with the fact that three of our characters were locked behind Polar Baer cages on a separate island and the remaining characters were milling around on the beach, waiting for something to happen. Luckily Kate got the A-Missions back into the series when she organised a mission to save Jack from Othersville. Since then there have been several missions and treks into the jungle but nothing on the scale of the one in this episode. Every season finale, thus far, has had an A-Mission. Season 1 was going to the Black Rock to retreive the dynamite and blowing up the Hatch, Season 2 was the quest to rescue Walt from the Others and this season is the ultimate mission - to reach the Radio Tower and contact a freighter that seemingly promises rescue for all the survivors! But as it is with Lost, everything is not as it seems. Both Ben and Locke warn Jack and his followers that the mysterious parachutist, Naomi is not who she says she is and that her friends on the freighter may not be coming to the island to rescue people, more likely the opposite. Ben and Locke's warnings can be believed as Naomi was surely lying when she mentioned that the wreckage of Flight 815 had been found underwater. Season 3 focused on the Others and by the end sets up the focus of the next season - The Freighter Folk!
    As was foreshadowed in "The Man Behind the Curtain" a second purge was put into action, our Losties coming out better in the end. The moment when Hurley steamrolls over the Others in the DHARMA van is glorious. One of the highlights is the Ben and Jack confrontation. As it began and built it reminded me of a similar moment between Goodwin and Ana-Lucia in "The Other 48 Days" in Season 2. Wonderful performances and quick-paced editing make this a standout moment. But there are many standout moments. Interestingly, for all the action scenes the episode never fully feels like an action packed episode. Much of the momentum is acheived through the anticipation and suspense of the events that unfold before your eyes and the acting performances. Michael Emerson remains irresistible as Ben, as he has since Day 1. But it has really only been in this season where the other actors have been given the excuse to dig a little deeper into their acting souls. Josh Holloway got a chance to reach new depths with Sawyer in "The Brig" and Dominic Monaghan has had his best chance to show what he can do with the character of Charlie.
    Speaking of Charlie, his death, though expected by many, was still powerful and shocking, not to mention emotional. Those that had rooted for Charlie's death surely came away from this episode feeling guilty. Who would have guessed at the beginning of the series that Charlie would have been the key to getting them off the island. Many have wondered why Charlie didn't make a run for it after seeing Mikhail but it is likely that he had succombed to his fate and maybe also he was protecting Desmond just like Desmond had been protecting Charlie for so long.
    We learn that signals from the island were being jammed by Bonnie and Greta under the orders of both Ben and, presumably, Jacob, to protect the island from the outside world. Seeing as Jack contacted the freighter in the end all that effort was seemingly in vain. However, this information does seem to close a loose-end regarding the island communication. Since the beginning of Season 3 the Others were under the impression that the Hatch Implosion [referred as the Incident or when the "Sky went purple"] was responsible for the loss of communication,when in fact it probably did little to change anything physically on the island. Another interesting revelation was when Bonnie tells Charlie that the code to unlock the jamming device was programmed by a musician. It got me thinking that maybe the code to "save the world" using the Swan computer [Hurley's numbers] were also programmed by someone, a musician or a mathmatician perhaps. So that would mean that just as the Looking Glass code was revealed to be the Beach Boys song, "Good Vibrations" the Swan station code is probably hiding something similar. I haven't had time to work out what the numbers on the Swan's computer could be if they relate to musical notes.
    There are several mini-revelations and alot of set-up for the following season but none of the key mysteries are revealed in this installment, which may come as a slight disappointment, but by episode's end that feeling is washed away when you get the huge revation that at least two characters - Jack and Kate - had escaped from the island and that the flashback events that led to this revelation were actually in fact all flash-forward. There had been clues pre-this episode that suggested that the writers were going to be changing the format of the off-island action somehow. After all, Season 3 was particularly keen to reveal the answers to all our pressing questions about the character's backstories. We had learnt about Jack's tattoo, how Juliet came to the island, Ben's background and how he got to the island, the Others Pregnancy experiments, the purge with the DHARMA Initiative, how Locke became wheel-chair bound, how Jin got to become a hitman for Sun's father, who the real Mr Sawyer was and his connection with John Locke, and who Chistian Shepherd's daughter was - Claire!!! All these answers served two purposes, to clear the way for flashforwards and to clear the way for more island-based mysteries to be explored in the future. As with the flashbacks the new flashforward device seen here is akin to Desmond's own condition. Like Desmond has experienced all season audiences were propelled into the future through flashes before their eyes. The whole Desmond time-travel flashes into future events was a very clever foreshadowing plot device used by the writers to set up the moment we realise that our off-island drama is occuring sometime in the future. The plot devices and literary techniques used throughout the season have been nothing less than awesomelingly impressive.
    Aside from the shock aspect generated the flashforwards also feature an engaging turn by Matthew Fox as a drunken and drugged Jack Shepherd, which comes off as just a surprise as the fact that he left the island. He does a great job of showing us a wayward Jack, which juxtaposes his current mental state on the island. One of the most interesting parts of the flashback, which has caused a little ripple amongst the Lost fan community is the reference to Christian Shepherd. When Jack is accused of drinking by the new Chief of Surgery, Dr Hammill, Jack responds by ordering that he get his father down here and if Jack is drunker than he is then Jack can be fired. Many fans have speculated that Jack's father is still alive, which I don't. I interpreted it that Jack was being sarcastic to Dr Hammill. Matthew Fox's smug expression was enough to make me believe that he was being sarcastic. Of course Christian would be alot drunker than Jack is because he is dead. Jack was trying to be funny and used the current state of his father to compare against his own. I hope I have explained this as clear as I can!
    I guess sometimes Black humour can pass under the radar of fans searching for the next easter egg to speculate over. Now that the second island purge is seemingly over and a rescue operation of sorts was carried out leading to Jack and Kate finding safe haven back in the real world, the door is left wide open for future episode plotlines. For all those who left the show before this groundbreaking episode this is the kind of episode that could bring you back, providing you accept the new flash device. Those that had tired of the flashbacks will find great solace in this narrative shake-up and suddenly for the first time since the Season 1 Pilot episode the series feels fresh and new again. If, as Ben says, Jack has unleashed the "beginning of the end" he has also opened the Hatch door to a new beginning of a show that seemed doomed midway through the season and now is suddenly reinvigorated.
    This episode only goes to prove that there is plenty of fuel left in the tank.
  • This is hands down, the best episode of Lost ever and a fantastic way to end the third season.

It's been a year and a half since Through the Looking Glass hit our screens and wowed Lost fans alike and I still haven't got over it. From the beginning to the end it was a non stop thrill ride which didn't allow the audience to put their emotions to rest for one single second. Definately the best episode of Lost ever and hopefully an episode that will only be trumped by the season 6 finale. The episode is a Jack flashback and I admit I was one of those people who groaned when they realised what they were watching. I was expecting some revelations about what happened to Jack, whilst he was with the others, something that would shock us all and I was slightly disgusted that we were once again seeing a useless Jack flashback. That was until the end when Lost changed forever...and the show has never been better. The main revelation of this episode is that what we were watching was not a Jack flashback, but a Jack flashforward and that he and Kate have somehow escaped the island. It took my brain a few minutes to catch up with my common sense when Kate walked out of the shadows. How could Kate have known Jack before the crash? Did they suffer memory loss? And do I even want that to make sense? And then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I have never looked at Lost in the same light again. Damon and Carleton came up with a plot that gave the show the fresh new edge it needed, especially after the sometimes unjustified negetive comments of the third season. By the end of this episode there was simply no denying that this was the best show on television. The island action was probably the most exciting moment of the episode. Jack tried to lead a large group of the survivors up to the radio tower so they can send a signal to Naomi's freighter but they are met with complications. First of all Sayid, Jin and Bernard have get rid of the others who tried to attack the beachcamp, then Charlie has to switch off the jamming equipment in the Looking Glass station and thats not even taking into account Ben and Locke's attempts to sabotage the survivors' escape. Soon into the episode it become apparent things were going wrong. Sayid, Jin and Bernard were kidnapped by the only three others they left alive, Tom, Pryce and Jason, and then when Ben realised were Jack was going he drew his trump card. He met up with Jack and his team and told Jack that if he didn't hand over Naomi's radio and go back to the beach then he would order Tom to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Knowing that he couldn't risk the rescue of the group Jack refused to give up the radio and gunshots rang out over Ben's radio in one of the most shocking and sickening moments in the show. Matthew Fox's acting is brilliant in this scene, his recoil as the gunshots ring out and then the anger washing over him as he beats up Michael Emerson yet again. Fans everywhere were devastated that two main cast members and a pretty amazing guest star had been wiped out in the space of a few seconds and it seemed this finale would take a darker turn. But I think we all cheered in triumph when we realised that Tom had bluffed and shot the sand instead. And then came the best action scene in Lost ever. Sawyer and Juliet had split off from Jack's group when they realised the others had taken Sayid, Jin and Bernard hostage. When Hurley had tried to go with them they refused but as they arrive at the beach they realised how wrong they were...as Hurley comes bursting out of the trees in his VW van and runs down Pryce in one of the most triumphant moments ever. Sayid than did a crazy breakdancing thing with his legs and broke Jason's neck and Sawyer ended the show by shooting Tom in the chest, even though he had given up. Seems he finally got payback for Tom kidnapping Walt. Elsewhere in this episode Charlie and Desmond manage to clear Mikhail, Bonnie and Greta out the way so they can continue with their task but all is not right. After shutting down the blocking signal, Charlie gets a video message from Penelope who soon realises that Charlie is an 815 survivor. However before Charlie can call Desmond over to be reunited with Penny, Mikhail shows up and uses a grenade to blow a hole in the porthole. Charlie closes the door so Desmond can be saved and his destiny can end and then dies in an incredibly tearjerking moment. As the episode ends Ben is a hostage of Jacks', Locke has failed in his attempt to stop the survivors from leaving the island and Jack has finally called for help. But something is wrong.
    We now know that Naomi's boat wasn't sent there by Penelope Widmore so then who was it sent by? Are they here to hurt the survivors like Ben and Locke have said and if they are than why and who do they really work for? We know in the future that Jack wants to go back to the island because he feels they shouldn't have left but then what has happened to warrant this change of heart? And if Jack and Kate are off the island who else is off the island? And how the hell are they going to get back?
    Here's waiting for season 4.
  • A Jack-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode. It was definitely a great way to end the third season. Although, the one thing that I didn't like about this episode is the fact that they killed off Charlie since he's always been one of my most favorite characters on the show. I absolutely loved the flash-forwards of Jack's life after he gets off the island. I thought that they were really great. I loved the ending of the episode. That was definitely a great way to end the third season. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost and I can't wait for the season four DVD set to come out so I can catch up on the season four episodes that I missed.
  • ...

Am I the only one who didn't understand a lot of things?? First of all, why director, producer and rest of all cast is playing with our brains? Watching all this long episode which lasted for 84 minutes and had a serious headache, in fact I had a brainstorm, because I could understand if Jack's vision is his past or his future. He became a drug addict, there was his ex-wife and he told to the doctor to get his father downstairs and that if Jack is drunker than Christian, Dr. Hamill can fire him. In fact he wouldn't say that if his father would be dead. But when he had that meeting nearby the airport I had assumption that it'll be Kate or somebody else from plane or island, I didn't have the believe that will be his wife. I couldn't understand whose funeral was that, about whom Kate's speaking about in the last scene of this episode. How did Penelope made connection to this concrete station, because in my view it's kinda impossible to find the real connection. Yeah, in fact there was too many things that I didn't manage to understand. Can somebody help?
    Ok, but seriously I'm in rush to watch season 4.
  • This is about as good television can get.

"Through the Looking Glass" hits Lost perfection - there's simply no doubt about that.

Many people have fantasied about the show's series finale - how it would end, what the last episode would be like. Even more people fantasied about the survivor's post-island life(if there was to be one). Who will survive?
    How will they return to their lives?
    Will any of the survivors hook up with eachother?

And so the list goes on. But one thing nobody thought about was, what if, that is not the show's ending?

Lost has been cleverly avoiding cliches since episode 1. It's not like we haven't seen similiar stories (shows, movies) before that have a plot similiar to Lost. Yet Lost, still manages to come off really unique.

And regarding the ending, it will be unique aswell. With TTLG, the show gives up it's regular formula - the flashbacks - and introduces the flashforwards.

Seeing this reveal through Jack's eyes was an easy decision for the writers - he, after all, is the "hero" of the show. It was an interesting(yet logical) decision from the writers to make his post island life rather miserable. I figured it could be because of many things:

- On the island he truly "found" himself: the hero, the doctor, the lover

- To leave the island he made a sacrifice

- Kate ended up with someone else post island(which seems rather obvious watching this episode).

The episode is like a mirror; on the island, the survivors are desperately trying to leave and when they finally find salvation they all cheer. But in the flashforwards; Jack is desperately trying to get back. The Ben / Jack interaction was just really good. It really felt as if the entire season was building up to it. I thought it was interesting that Tom turned out to be the "bad guy" and Ben the "good guy" - whereas Tom was ready to shoot 3 survivors in cold blood, Ben wasn't.

However, the happenings in the Looking Glass actually contradict that with Ben ordering Mikhail to kill Bonnie and Greta AND Charlie. This is not really him being out of character - it's just Ben being... Ben. Hands down the most complex character on the show. He's willing to do ANYTHING to protect the island(even kill his own people) but when it comes to personal differences, he's not really all that evil. Now that I have mentioned the Looking Glass, let me say that I did get quite emotional the previous episode, "Greatest Hits", but Charlie's death scene was the scene that, finally, made me cry. It was a beautiful scene. Everything was top notch: Amazing music by Michael Giacchino, outstanding performance by Dominic Monaghan and Henry Ian Cusick and perfect directing by Jack Bender.

Honestly - who could hold the tears back when Desmond and Charlie put their hands on the glass? Such an amazing moment - finally showed how strong their friendship developed during the season.

What's amazing in this episode is how the last scene, where the flashforward is revealed, puts everything in a different perspective. So right after you finished watching it - you can rewatch and feel as if you're watching a whole new episode.

All in all - this was television's finest. It's a shame that while this episode is critically acclaimed, it didn't win nearly as many awards as it deserves. But, for us, fans, this was definitely something very much like - christmas.

Kudos. 10/10, naturally.
  • Ben and Jack have a gentlemanly diuscussion, regarding the tower, the sat phone and the situation. Sawyer and Juliet are trying to formulate a rescue plan whilst Charlie and Des try to unjam the jammer.

Jack tells Kate that Sawyer only told her he didn't want to go with her because he wanted to protect her, as he did when they were at the hydra, he says I told you that because I love you and didnt want you getting hurt.

We then see Jack, looking down at the paper clipping, then walks across the road without looking and into a funeral parlour. A man tells him that there wasn't a funeral that it was just a viewing, we see Jack leave and go back to the hospital, looking for prescription drugs then has a run in with the new chief of medicine.

On the walk upto the tower he asks Danielle about the tower, she says she only went once, that the island is her home and then the group come across Ben and Alex, Ben asks Jack to turn around and go back,to give him 5 minutes of chat, he deserves that after killing 7 of his people.

Mikhael comes out of the radio room, puts on his eyepatch and then shoots and kills Greta and then shoots Bonny in the back, Des comes out of his hiding place and shoots Mikhael through the heart with a harpoon spear. Des picks up his gun, Charlie tells him not to shoot Bonny as they need her. She is the only one with the code now except for Ben. Kate had come around the back of Ben and Alex and told Jack that they are alone. Jack takes Ben's walkie as they go for that talk.

They start to talk, Ben tells Jack of the day he killed 40 on the island and that he was going to be doing the same as he, he warns him that Naomi is not who she seems to be, that he will find out. He asks and gets the radio back after Tom radios him, giving him 1 minute to decide or his 3 friends die.

Meanwhile, Charlie has gotten some of the musical code from Bonnie, Des has organised the diving equipment, he puts the code in, was about to walk away when incoming signal flashes and beeps, it connects him to Penny, he starts talking to her, there is a knock at the hatch, he sees Mikhael with a handgrenade, he shuts Des out of the control room and learns that the ship is not from penny, as water floods into Charlie, he writes a message on his hand for Des to warn the others.

Jack has let the minute pass, he then hears 3 gunshots and muted screams, then he beats Ben to near unconsciousness, then calls Tom on the Walkie and tells him that he is going to get his people rescued and then find Tom and kill him. He leads Ben back to the group and gets them to tie him up, Danielle is very interested in Alex, Alex is getting slightly spooked by the touching until Ben tells Alex that Danielle is he mother.

Sawyer and Juliet are watching the beach, as Tom tells one of the others that perhaps they should have killed them instead of firing into the sand, revealing that all 3 are still alive, gagged and bound. Sawyer says to Juliet that they will have to wait til nightfall, but as Juliet points out they are unarmed, out numbered and nothing they can do. Just then there is something coming through the jungle, they dive out of the way of Hurley in the camper van, as he drives into one of the others, Sawyer follows his path, gets a gun, one of the others is disarmed and killed by Sayid and Juliet holds the Tom at gunpoint, until Sawyer shoots him in the chest, saying, that's for taking the boy off the raft.

Hurley saves the day, the 3 prisoners are grateful, Hurley gets on the radio and yells "Others, if you're listening to this, then you should know we got you b's, and if the rest of you dont want to get blown up, then you'll stay away from the beach. Jack gets on the radio and asks whats happening and he tells him that they rescued Jin, Bernhard and Sayid and Sawyer and Juliet are okay too. Claire asks about Charlie but is told that he should be on the way back.

Naomi gets a signal on her phone but it is being blocked by Danielles message, so they go upto the tower and turn of the message, they are not able to get a signal so go outside, she dials the number but as she does she falls, a knife in her back and along stumbles Locke, he gets the gun out as Jack has picked up the phone, he threatens to shoot him, but doesnt, he lurks away as someone answers the call, Jack is told they will be right there.
  • great but sad.

In this double-length episode, Jack's plan to kill the Others backfires, and Sayid, Jin, and Bernard are held hostage by the Others at the beach. Led by Rousseau, the castaways travel to the radio tower to turn off Rousseau's transmission. Naomi makes contact with her boat, but is stabbed by Locke, who along with Ben, believes that the survivors are making a mistake. Charlie makes contact with Penny Widmore in the underwater Dharma station, but drowns when the station is flooded by Mikhail. Sawyer, Juliet, and Hurley rescue the castaways at the beach. Instead of flashbacks, flashforwards feature Jack's miserable life after rescue from the island. I was very upset to see Charlie go in this episode, can't beleave how many characters where killed off in this episode it is a series classic. R.I.P Charlie Pace.
  • It's great and all but Charlie :(

AAAAAAHHHH! Oh my god what an episode. Lets start with Charlie. He's in the underwater hatch so Desmond dives in to save him. Desomond hides in a closet thing but when Bonnie ( One of the women in the hatch) was going to open it but Mikhail suddenly shows up. Charlie starts shaking Mikhail's trust in Ben so Mikhail demands the truth from Ben. After Mikhail gets the truth he kills one of the women in the hatch and then he shoots Bonnie and then goes to kill Charlie but he is shot by Desomond. Charlie and Desmond try to get the code from Bonnie before she dies and Bonnie tells them the code is music connected to number which seemed like fate because Charlie was a musician. Charlie enters the code and suddenly Penny appears on the screen but after talking to her for a while he finds out that the boat isn't Penny's boat which I find tottaly weird because Naomi was looking for Desomond. After putting in the code Charlie sees Mikhail next to the glass round window in the code entering room and Mikhail has an explosive in his hand so the glass breaks and the room starts flooding but before Desmond gets into the room Charlie closes the door and drowns but before he dies he tells Desmond that the boat isn't Penny's boat. I thought Charlie's death was so sad. He got so many storylines and he has been so important to the show. Lost just won't be the same without him. Jack and everyone else head to the radio tower where they find Ben and Alex there Then Ben asks for five minutes with Jack. Ben wants the radio phone but Jack refuses to give it to him so Ben gives orders that Sayid,Bernard and Jin get shot so Jack has a little meltdown but actually they don't get shot and they get rescued by Hurley who comes in with the car and drives over one of them. Sayid cracks one of their man's neck with his feet which is so cool and Sawyer shoots Tom. What a gripping and nerve wracking scene. Big surprise : Locke shows up and throws a knife right at Naomi's head after she gets a signal. he wants the phone because he thinks these people on the boat are bad news so Jack refuses and Locke threatens him. Jack dosen't give in and calls the boat and the people on the boat are ready to rescue them and yaaay everyone is happy !!! The two most emotional scenes in this episode were when Charlie dies and when Alex meets Rosseau for the first time. Favorite character from this episode : Hurley !!! It was great how he he saved everyone. The writing of this episode was great, the music was brilliant, the acting was fantastic and the storyline was thrilling. I did not like the flashforward because it kind of rowened the "are they ever going to get off the island ? " question but then again Desmond kind of rowened that already by telling Charlie that Claire and Araon are going to get rescued. What my friends think of this episode : " So GOOD !! " "Loved it " " omg omg omg what an episode ". Can't wait to watch season four :) Great stuff !!
  • One of the best!

This will be a duplicate review for Through The Looking Glass parts 1 and 2. They will be the exact same thing, right down to the periods.

There are flashfowards to Jack. He is a broken man who is hooked on perscription drugs and is a drunk. He attempts to commit suicide. He ends up saving the lives of two people. A doctor tries to help him, but it doesn't work. He calls up Kate and tells them that they have to go back to the island.

Charlie is captured by the two women inside the hatch. They contact Ben and he sends Mikhail. Mikhail sees Desmond and shoots at him. Desmond dives under and gets there but hides. Mikhail talks to Ben and follows the orders to kill Charlie and the two women. Desmond kills Mikhail after Mikhail manages to kill one woman and injure the other. Charlie gets the code from the living woman and she dies. Charlie gets in contact with Penny. He asks about Naomi and she doesn't know anything about her. Desmond notices Mikhail is missing. Mikhail appears outside of Charlie's window and blows it open. Charlie shuts the door so Desmond won't drown. He writes "Not Penny's boat" on his hand and shows Desmond. Charlie then drowns.

Jack and everyone else head up to the radio tower. Naomi tells Jack how to work the phone just in case. They are worried when they only see two explosions.

Sayid, Jin and Bernard stay behind to kill the Others. The Others come and go toward the tents. Sayid takes the first shot and hits it! Bernard takes the second shot and also hits it! Jin has trouble with his pistol and the Others get him. Bernard tries to help, but the Others get him too. Sayid is also captured, but they managed to kill 7 of the Others. They contact Ben and Ben tells them to make them talk. Bernard spills it. The Others tell Ben.

Kate wants to go back for Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Sawyer decides to go, but he doesn't want Kate with him. Juliet goes instead, but before she does, she kisses Jack. Kate is jealous, but when Jack talks to Kate, he tells her that he loves her. Sawyer and Juliet are on their way when Hurley wants to help. Sawyer says no.

Ben quickly starts planning how to stop Jack. Alex goes with him to stop them from getting to the radio tower. They encounter Jack and Ben and Jack talk. Alex also meets her mother, Danielle. Ben threatens to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. He then orders Tom to kill them. There are three shots fired on the walkie talkie. Ben doesn't want Jack to contact the freighter. Jack beats Ben to a pulp. They proceed to the radio tower.

Locke is about to end it all, but suddenly, Walt stops him and tells him to get up.

Saywer and Juliet arrive at camp. It turns out that the Otheres lied to Ben about killing Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Hurley then comes with the van and kills an Other. Sayid kills another. Saywer then kills Tom. They are all safe.

At the radio tower, Naomi gets a signal because of Charlie. They stop Danielle's transmission. Naomi is contacting them, but Locke kills her. He tells Jack not to call, but Jack does it anyway.

This was an amazing episode of Lost! I was really sad when Charlie died. Even though I didn't really like him as much throughout the series, this really did affect me. The flashfowards were pretty good, especially the last one, but nothing really grabbed me there. Sawyer was so mean to Hurley and Hurley just wanted to help! I really felt sorry for Hurley at that point. I didn't want Jack to contact the freighter. I don't even know what to think! As for couples, I want Jack and Juliet together and Kate and Sawyer together! Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, now why'd you go and tell the Others the whole plan? That was so dumb! I'm still sad about Charlie. I hope Desmond remembers to give Charlie's "greatest hits" to Claire. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!
  • The perfect way to end the season, and hopefully looked back upon as one of the greatest episodes Lost has ever produced. (Spoiler Alert!)

Looking back on this episode halfway through Seasn 4, I can still find no big flaws in it. Charlie's final hour is told with such grace that you'll cry a little as he drowns. Ben is at rope's end and at his finest acting as he tries to convince the losties that "Penny's Boat" are the bad guys. The war between the Losties and the Others is done with enough belivable twists. I even liked the Jack episode which is very rare for me, and I felt Matthew Fox did a terrific job. In general this episode is everything Lost should be: a roller coster with a lot of charater's you belive in. As you go from one shocking twist to another, none of it feels rushed or out of place. This episode gets extra points for having Hurley run over Brain with the Dharma bus. Overall this episode is one of the greatest ever produced by the Losties. Keep it up.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8