Lost

Through the Looking Glass (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 8 of 8

• A list of the TOP 12 UNANSWERED Questions....

Not only was this 2 hours long, but for once, things go the way you want them to -- except, of course, the death of one of main casts.

The flashback took a huge twist at the end. Unbelievably clever. I give the writers much props for tricking us all!

One thing that didn't make sense that if the flashbacks were indeed flash-forwards, then why was that new doctor saying something about calling Jack's dad? -- or did I hear that wrong? If so, how is Jack's dad still alive if this is a glimpse in the future?

Things that are still unanswered:

1. What is that black smoke? Why did it come face-to-face with Mr. Eko the first time and then backed away like a coward... but then the second time it came in contact with Mr. Eko, it killed him. Why does it always make Dinosaur noises? This was what killed the Pilot in the first episode and left the body on the trees.

2. Who and what is Jacob? We saw a glimpse of him when Locke was in the cabin with Ben. Can't recognize his face, but he looks to be some sort of spirit/ghost. I really wonder how they will explain this. Also, if we hadn't seen Jacob in the cabin, I would've thought he was a volcano. The way they talk about him, "I'll take him to Jacob", or "we don't want to make Jacob angry"... sounds like how the Hawaiians always refer to their volcano gods.

3. Why is everyone seeing things? Locke seeing Walt, Kate seeing the black stallion in past episodes, Jack seeing his dead father, Hurley seeing his friend from the clinic (in the episode that made you wonder if this was all a dream), Ben seeing his dead mother, etc.

4. Who is Naomi really working for? Is Ben right about her people being "bad guys"? Maybe this is true since Desmond's girl said it wasn't her people on the boat. Also, Naomi said that they found the wreckage from Oceanic 815 and that everyone on the plane died; there were no survivors... this either means everyone is currently in HELL or she is lying. I'll bet the latter.

5. Why do women who get impregnated on the island die? Is there some mystical force?

6. How do the two women that were jamming the radio frequency survive all those years down there? It is just a show, but seriously... doesn't look like there's enough room for years supplies of Dharma food. How do they have enough oxygen? Where do their garbage and bathroom wastes go?

7. That man that recruited Juliet and is Ben's right-hand man. He was the same age he is now when Ben was a kid in an episode from a few weeks ago -- how can that be? Is he an alien or does he have immortality?

8. Speaking of immortality, how the hell does Mikhail survive being fried/electrocuted between the barriers and even foamed around the mouth as he looked to be dead. Then he comes back and gets harpooned by Desmond, but still survives. What is his secret and why can't he die?

9. The stewardess of Oceanic Flight 815 was among Ben's group and seem to be quiet happy. How is this so? What did Ben do to gain their loyalty and turn against Jack and the others? But even so, looks like there are a lot of survivors from Oceanic 815 even though it crashed and broke apart in the most extreme way (I know it's a show, but still..)

10. What really happened to Michael and Walt? I doubt Ben really let them go. Remember, Michael murdered Ana Lucia and Libby. I'm not sure if the writers are done with him yet. He could be part of a big twist in the final two or three seasons of Lost.

11. Ben and his crew has information about each and every passenger of Oceanic 815. I can understand if they get most of this information from criminal records that are documented, but how do they find out so much about each passenger's personal life -- things that are not documented like Locke's obsession with stopping his dad's con attempts or Sawyer/James' killing of a man by accident. If they found out about that, then it must be documented, and if it were documented, wouldn't Sawyer/James have been a "Wanted" as a murderer? If he "Wanted" by the police, then he wouldn't have been able to get on the plane as he did so easily.

12. Who is working for Ben outside the island? When Juliet got to see clips of her sister and seeing that she was alive and healthy with her child, I wondered who is video taping that "live" video? Is someone always following her everywhere she goes? Who is working for Ben and why does he have so much power?

I'm sure I'll think of more as they come, but these are a lot of unanswered questions.
  • WOW...... I can't beleive that just happend! Just when I thought those guys at LOST couldn't do anything else to blow my mind this masterpiece of an finale comes and does just that.

FlASHFORWARD!! I really didn't get how Jack was suicidal because I thought he'd gotten over the divorce in Puket, but having a Flash to after they get rescued! Pure genius by the writers. I still can't beleive that just happend. Obviously the guy in the coffin is Sawyer which is why nobody went to his funeral. Also Kate must be pardoned for her murder charge or else she took someone else's name from the flight because it looked as if she wasn't on the run anymore (especially if she has a home phone). The question is now why is jack so messed up and was Ben right about those rescue people. Apart from the mind blowing aspect this episode was full of action and it was exactly the type of episode i've been waiting for. Sayid finally kills an other, Hurley was a hero, Tom is finally paid back for the baby snatching and Ben gets the crap kicked out of im by Jack (I was all perfect!). I was sad that Charlie died but it was an inevitable event (and wow Mikeal's eye looked sooo cool). Once again the writers at LOST have out done themsleves again and the wait for season 4 is gonna be painful but worth it!
  • Hour Two of the Season Finale.

In Los Angeles, Jack is popping pills like they are skittles, and is continuing his drinking. He shows up at a wake for the funeral of someone that isn't identified. Scene cuts to the island. As the castaways are continuing their walk, Ben and Alex cut them off. Ben asserts, 'Jack, we need to talk.' Cut to commercial.

Mikhail is in the Looking Glass, and decides to try to kill the women, Greta and Bonnie. He is successful in part of his mission. Desmond comes out and shoots Mikhail in the chest with some sort of gun, but not one that shoots bullets. Before he kills the other woman, Charlie tells Desmond that 'they need her.'

Ben asks Jack for 5 minutes of his time, being that the castaways had killed 7 of his men. Jack agrees - Ben tells Jack that Naomi is a 'bad person' and that if her people are contacted 'all of the people on the island will die.' Ben then contacts Tom, who is holding our shooters captive and at gunpoint. Ben warns Jack that if Tom doesn't hear Ben's voice in the next minute, Tom shall kill them all. After the minute expires, we hear gunfire. Jack assumes that our Shooters are dead. He then unleashes hell upon Ben, beating him almost to the point of unconsciousness. He then brings Ben to the castaways, instructing them to tie him up. Jack walks away. Ben tells Alex (while pointing to Rousseau) that 'this is your mother.'

Kate asks Jack what Ben said. Jack first says it isn't important. But Kate knows Jack is troubled. Jack says that Ben had all three of our shooters killed. Quick Note: I don't believe Sayid is dead, but if he is, I will go ballistic.

Scene cuts to the beach - Tom did not execute our shooters, and is convinced that Ben has lost their trust and is no longer worthy of being their leader. Hurley comes crashing down the hill in the Volkswagen Van, killing another one of the Others, leaving only 2 alive. Sawyer takes Tom's life, even though Tom had surrendered. Sayid kills the final Other with a move I can only describe as amazing - he literally, while being bound, somehow gets the Other on the ground, wraps his feet around his head, makes a quick motion, snapping his neck and killing him.

Another Los Angeles Jack flashback where he is still a raging alcoholic and a prescription drug abuser. He is literally falling all over the place, hoping to score some more drugs. His new superior tells Jack that the people who were in the car accident on the bridge were now able to tell him what had happened. In essence, Jack's presence on the bridge is what caused the accident. So much for him being a hero.

Back on the beach, Hurley reaches Jack via walkie talkie. He lets them know that everyone (the shooters included) are alive and well. In the 'Looking Glass,' Charlie shuts down the outgoing signal, and sees Desmond's Penny via a transmission. Before Desmond can get to the door, Mikhail explodes a grenade and the room with the switch is flooded with water, killing Charlie. On his hand, Charlie warns Desmond that it is not Penny's boat. A very touching final moment for Charlie.

Aaron begins to cry as Claire is walking, and Naomi tells Claire that Charlie was able to shut off the signal. Naomi proclaims, 'he has rescued us all.' Back from commercial. Naomi tells Jack that the signal is no longer being blocked. Rousseau quickly points out that they have arrived at the radio tower. As they enter the tower, Naomi says she cannot get a signal. As Naomi finally receives a signal and is about to call, she is hit from behind. It is Locke. Locke and Jack have a standoff with Locke holding a gun and pointing it as Jack. Jack tells Locke to shoot him, that he is tired of Locke keeping him on the island. Locke doesn't shoot, but casually walks away. The person on the other end of the satellite radio says they have a way of locking on to the phone's location, and everyone starts to believe that rescue is on its way. This is the last scene from the island.

Scene cuts back to Jack in Los Angeles, a full blown alcoholic and addict. He finally reaches the person via phone who he has been desperately trying to reach. They agree to meet up. The person Jack has been desperately trying to get a hold of throughout the episode turns out to be Kate. Kate can see that Jack is on a sever downward spiral. Jack reveals that he goes as far as to pray that he can 'get back.' We must assume he means the island. 'We have to go back, Kate. We have to go back!!!!'

And now we, the collective LOST fan base, must wait 8 months to see what will happen next. The first hour was better, but this still was an excellent hour and, overall, a marvelous Season Finale.
  • My mind is reeling!

*Spoilers *

Well, while a few questions were answered, and we finally got some closure on Charlie, I find I have more questions now than before. BUT, what else is new?? I really, really, really enjoyed watching Jack kick the crap outta Ben, and Danielle's elbow to his face was particularly satisfying :) I was seriously worried for Jin, Sayid, and Bernard...and who knows why Tom and the Others didn't choose to kill them, but I'm glad they didn't! And it was great to see Hurley come through in the end as the hero. I don't understand Sawyer's sudden moodiness towards Kate, and his response to her potential pregnancy was pretty cold. Dude's got some serious attachment issues - although he remains my favorite character. I loved how annoying Charlie was down in the looking glass, and finally someone called that Mikhail a "cyclops"! It was just his destiny to be there - especially because the code was written by a musician to Good Vibrations. Charlie's death was very, very sad - I'm going to miss his quirky personality. I feel that Jack contacting "not penny's ship" was a bad idea after all - and am anxious to see what will happen with all of that come season 4. there will still be 3 more seasons,so I don't know what the writers will tackle next. If they do get rescued, I don't think the show will be as good.
  • episode analysis

ok, first off i will not say that i am 100% correct on this analysis for i am not a writer of the show, but i do know lost very well, and i have been very accurate in predictions in the past. it was very obvious to me from the first "flash back" of this episode, or really should i call of a "flash foward" or should i go even further to call it a "fake flash foward", because, thats what it was. there are a few reasons why this is just a product of one of the minds of the characters (most likely jack). for one, there is a bizare mix of new and old characters, between the ex wife(who is pregnant if you look closely, a clear sign of someones mind wandering due to what is going on on the island), and Kate at the end(who is filmed in a very film nuir dreamlike way). jack also tells the doctor who accuses him of drinking to go ask his father, who of course, is dead. the second tell is the wake at the funeral home. this is screaming metaphor. the fact that no body is shown, and the article is never shown, it is fairly obvious that nobody died. the coffin, and empty room, is a symbol for jacks longing to go back to the island. nobody being there parallels jack being alone in his wanting to go back to the island. (the coffin in the empty room eerily resembles an island as well)well folks il have to look back at the episode to find out more. send me a message if you wanna chat about lost
  • Probably one of the greatest LOST twists ever!

This is definitely the best episode of the season! It makes you think throughout the whole thing, "Why are they using such horrbile flashbacks?" and then in the last five seconds it explains everything just to leave you hanging until next February. That was amazing...i will never forget it. =]
  • As Always what we expect from lost cliffhangers (furious)

A Great/Tragic/Bewildered 2 hours season finale!!!

What i'm elated about:
    Glad to see the other lost some men ....
    Ben finally got his a** beaten up by Jack
    Locke is alive & well :)

What i'm sad about:
    How Charlie died . .thought he cheated death .. :(

What i'm confused about:
    Who was in the coffin?
    Is there really a ship and do the crew members have intention of saving them or killing them?
    Is Ben telling the truth for once in his life?
    Why doesn't he want them out of the island?
    Why did locke stop Jack .. he was going to shot him .. but he just left?
    the scenes with Jack with the beard are they flashbacks or flash-forwards?
    And if it is did all the survivors leave the island of just Jack & kate?
    And why does he want to go back?

cliffhangers cliffhangers cliffhangers we all look forward to them from our fav show LOST (sarcastic)

Anyways Anticipating what the writers/producers has in store for us in the next season.....
  • The most revealing 2 hours of LOST ever!

Perhaps I am greatly confused, but why did Charlie have to die in this episode. Once the guy exploded the grenade, it shattered the glass window to the communication room. Charlie was small enough to fit through that window and then could've swam back around and underneath the Looking Glass and into the pool area where Desmond was standing.

Now, for the end... we realize that the flashbacks were flashfowards. Jack has a miserable life upon returning to the real world. He tells Kate that they were wrong to get off the island, but she says, no, they weren't. She also says she has to get going because "he" will wonder where she is... Sawyer perhaps?

Penny tells Charlie he does not know of any Naomi, so Locke was probably right in killing her off. And how about Locke and Walter inspiring him... geez, this episode has it all.

Back to Jack and the future. The fact they get off the island and back into the real world at least FINALLY puts to bed the hypothesis' that they are in some version of purgatory or hell. There could still be some mystical element to it, however, and something to the idea that they WERE NOT supposed to be saved...then again, Kate seems to be doing just fine...guess we will just have to wait a loooong 8 months to see in season 4!
  • The most shocking and crazy revelation of Lost to date.

After the season 1 and 2 finales, I was shocked. The best way to describe my sentiments would be something along the lines of, “omg wtf is going on here?!?!?!” But after season three’s finale, my reaction is simple: “What?!” and that “what” should be said with a “wtf” tone. Seriously. What do you even say to all of this. I just…I just don’t even know.

(see Part One for my review on the first hour.)

I’ll start off with the final scene – the most pivotal.

I was shocked when Kate came out of the car. It wasn’t until she said, “still pulling people out of burning wreckages” that I clued in – they’re in the future. I love that Oceanic gave everyone a golden pass. But as funny as that is, this scene was so depressing! When LOST appeared on the screen, I was thinking, why is the episode ending now? This is the weirdest thing ever. It’s all so…confusing.

This is what I’m worried out. Presumably, we’ve seen what happens to Jack when he gets off the island. Which, of course, means they do get off the island. But when? Will this happen in season four or five? Or not until the very end? If so, they better not leave us with a drug addicted alcoholic suicidal Jack.

Hum. But Jack said to the new attending, “go get my father and see if he’s drunker than I am”. What was all that about? Christian’s not alive in the future…is he? So many questions and theories! My brain doesn’t know what to think.

I just realized that we were given a clue in plain sight that they were in the “future”: Jack had a Razr cell phone. I thought the props crew has been sloppy, but it all makes sense now. Oh, and Jack looked hilarious with the sunglasses and the beard, speeding down the road. Speaking of which, who in the world died? Who was in the coffin?

Jack to Kate: “I love you”. Yet there he goes kissing Juliet. Both of those events really shocked me. But make up your mind, Jack!

Danielle’s reunion with Alex was funny. Their first words: “Will you help me tie him up?” So sentimental.

So, it wasn’t enough to kill seven of the Others. They had to add in another three! I was cheering on Desmond when he shot Mikhail. But I swear, Mikhail is a true Claire Bennet. That dude’s insane. And his eye was really gross looking.

It’s a shame there are censors here, because I would really like to share my “colourful” language that was used when Sayid, Jin, and Bernard were shot. However, I let out a big “thank god!” when it was revealed they were still alive. Thank you Tom! Oh, and RIP, man. His death was bittersweet. Sawyer did it for Walt. And, come on…it’s Sawyer we’re talking about here. When the guy does something sentimental, you gotta expect some violence.

On the subject of the beach scenes, I’m quite pleased Hurley and the Dharma Mobile saved everyone! That was hilarious to see the van zooming through the jungle. Good job, Hugo. And Sayid’s neck snap was crazy. He got mad skills.

So, onto the remaining two scenes. First, the group at the radio tower. The look on Ben’s face when Locke walked up was priceless. But he killed Naomi! (I’ve definitely lost track of the body count this episode.) For the first time ever in my entire life (well, in the past year and a half), I wanted Jack to listen to Ben. He DOES know what he’s talking about, at least about that barge. I have a baaaad feeling about all of this.

Finally – the most powerful scene of the episode, Charlie’s death. Even though we’ve been told a million times that he was going to die, it was just so extremely sad! The score that was playing at that moment is my favorite song of Giacchino’s, and it was also the song that played when Jack saved Charlie from his hanging back in season one. Oh, the irony. You know, Charlie really had been defying death on this island for quite while. But the most surprising part of all this was Penny! She’s one dedicated chick. I cannot wait to find out more about her and whatever her real research team is.

And thus concludes Lost: season three. As I stated earlier, I have absolutely no idea where things are going. If the Jack and Kate scene ends up in an episode in the future, I want them to stop the show right now. It’s far too depressing if they get off the island but Jack ends up like that. It doesn’t give you much to look forward to, does it? But, Jack being in the state he was shows that he’s a true “man of faith”.

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but the way things are going, I want them all to stay on Craphole Island forever!
  • FOUND

So this is it, they finally got rescued after 3 months on this mysterious island.

This was a very good episode. I really enjoyed it. Charlie unfortunatly died. The flashback was infact a flashforward. This review is all over the place because i am still shocked with what the hell just happened.

Walt came to John and said "we have work to do". Ben told Jack that Naomi was not part of Pennys rescue team. Penny confirmed to Charle that she did not know who Naomi was, just before charlie drowned he wrote on his hand - No Pennys Boat - and showed it to Desmond, then the two say goodbye. We still have no idea if Ben is dead or what happened. Jack got in contact with the rescue team and it just ends.

This episode ended in the worst place, we dont get to see them get off the island, we dont get to see what happened to anyone because it just ends.

On the plus side Ben introduced Alex to her mother.

So 8 months til the 4th season. The Gamechanger was good but i expected even more out of it. I think the show title needs to change though. hmmmmmmmmm, maybe.....

FOUND