Lost

Through the Looking Glass (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• We've got one last shock for you, and this makes it a whole new ballgame

We'll ignore the flashes for now,, and get right back into the drama. The episode begins with the meeting of Jack and Ben. Both men have had major challenges to their leadership this season, and while Jack's is fragile, Ben's has all but run out of gas. His approach seems a bit absurd. He calls Jack out, tells them that Naomi represented a party who has interests that are very detrimental to the island, and demands that Jack give him the satellite phone, or he will order the murders of the men on the beach. This is Jack's biggest confrontation yet, and he faces up to it, even though he's clearly torn. When the shots are fired, he then proceeds to beat Ben until his knuckles are bloody.

What Jack doesn't know is how badly Ben's leadership has deteriorated. Ryan has disobeyed orders and has not killed any of them yet. This leads to one of the most joyous scenes in the episode. Juliet and Sawyer have made it back to the island, but they don't have any weapons. So who saves the day? Hurley, in the Dharma-mobile! Driving the van that he kept working all this time, he runs Ryan down like a video game pedestrian.. In quick succession, Sayid executes the second gunmen, and Tom, the sole survivor has no choice but to surrender. Sawyer then cold-bloodedly shoots him in the chest, showing that he has fallen into the darkness after killing Cooper. He will emerge from it eventually, but it's going to take a lot.

In the Looking Glass, things have reached a climax there. Mikhail clearly doubts Ben's leadership as well, but nevertheless he follows through on the orders, killing Greta, and mortally wounding Bonnie. Before he can finish the job, Desmond emerges and shoots him with a spear-gun. That should be the end of it, but it's not. Charlie then manages to get Bonnie to give him the codes for the transmitter--- and she does so by saying the codes were programmed by a musician. Now we think we know the reason Charlie had to be here. And for a split second, Charlie thinks maybe this has all been a test, and he won't have to die.. Then a transmission comes through--- it's Penelope. But before she can even see her beloved again, she let's a critical piece of information--- she didn't send the boat. Before anything else can be learned, Mikhail emerges like the messiah with a hand grenade, and blows the porthole. The station will soon flood, but when Charlie sees what's coming he doesn't hesitate, and uses his last bit of strength to send Desmond the message. I defy you to watch the scene as poor Charlie's crosses himself before drowning--- it's the most heartbreaking moment of the season.

(On a side note, what has happened to Mikhail? One would think that the hand grenade would have killed him, but one could have made the same assumption of the spear in the chest? Was he immortal? Probably not, as Ben assumes that he could kill him. Whatever the reason, it seems to be another mystery we'll never see resolved as he hasn't reappeared. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up in the last season.)

We also get a pretty moving reunion as Rousseau finally comes face to face with Alex.. They haven't seen each other for sixteen years, but they clearly have a bond, as their first act is to tie Ben up like a dog. They make it to the radio tower at last, and the message that has been playing for sixteen years and seven months is finally taking off the loop. Naomi then begins to finally receive a transmission, when suddenly she gets a knife in the back--- from Locke. Somehow, the island has told him where the radio tower is, and though he couldn't have known anything about Naomi, he doesn't hesitate in trying to kill her. (She isn't quite dead yet, but that's another story.) He then tells Jack straight up, we're not supposed to leave, which is exactly the message that Ben has been trying to tell Jack. Speaking of which, when Ben sees Locke walking, he looks stunned, as if he finally realizes John may be as important as everyone thinks. Locke holds a gun on Jack, and threatens to kill him, but for some reason, like with his father just a few days earlier, he cannot follow through. Jack makes contact with the freighter, we see signs of joy....

.... and then the episode plays it's little trick. We do one more flash with Jack, who has been degenerated in each one, driving wildly, trying to get a refill on a prescription, and stealing drugs from the hospital pharmacy. What throws us is that Jack mentions his father and speaks as if he's still alive. We still think were in the past, then... Jack calls someone to meet him at the airport. That someone is Kate. And we realize in a moment of shock that this is the future.. Then we learn that every Friday Jack goes flying from LA to the Far East (particularly Australia) each time praying for a crash. The only explanation that comes to mind: he wants to go back to the island. We can't figure out why yet, and Kate is particularly dismissive, but the episode ends on that plea.

To be perfectly honest when I first saw the last couple of minutes of this episode, I thought that the show had just jumped the shark in the biggest way possible. I thought that (like in J.J. Abrams other series Alias) that he was rewriting the rule book and it would take as well. Clearly, I didn't have the confidence in Carlton and Damon that I do now. They've managed to travel from that point to this with alacrity and upping the stake in each succeeding season, and it is still possible than this will be no better placed than I did with Chris Carter and the X-Files. But maybe they knew what they're doing.

Right now, the biggest question is who was at the funeral. The article at the paper Jack got in Part One was clearly an obituary. In the opening of the second part, Jack went to the funeral home to find nobody there, and the casket was closed. Asked if he was friend or family, he clearly says: "Neither." When he tells Kate about it, she regards it with even more disdain, leading us to believe that it was someone we've already met on the plane that they both knew. I didn't try to freeze frame the shots with the paper, so I didn't get caught p with those people who try to squeeze every single detail out of each episode, so I didn't try to answer the question. At the time I thought it was Christian Shephard, later that it was Sawyer. Everyone now knows who was in the coffin, but I'll save the surprise--- especially since I'm still not convinced that someone is dead yet.

Even knowing some of the twists and turns that are ahead doesn't change the fact that this episode is an extraordinary ending, mostly because of the remarkable acting of Matthew Fox. He runs the complete gamut of emotions in this episode, and in retrospect, his scenes in the flash forwards are astonishing acting. He looks angry and disdainful, pathetic and wrathful, and the episodes last five minutes, goes from his point of greatest elation --- the eminent rescue--- to the shell he seems to be when Kate meets with him. Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson get the lion's share of the acclaim, but Fox is clearly at their level, and this episode proves it.

Equally remarkable is the work of Jorge Garcia. Hurley has been feeling useless, but now he emerges as the most unlikely of heroes, up to the point of bragging that he has taken out the Others on the beach. The sad part is, this may be the best moment of Hugo's life, and in a matter of minutes (relatively speaking) he will be struck back to zero
    By the end of 'Through the Looking Glass' Ben is warning them that if this call, it will be the beginning of the end. And this episode is considering that the structure that exists. But one question has been answered--- rescue will come to the passengers of Oceanic 815. However, they probably won't be able to escape the island.
    My score: 10
  • I'm not one to dish out 10's EVER, but I feel like sometimes, there are episodes of television that just set the standard for everything else. This is one of those episodes.

As I mentioned in the summary, I've given maybe two 10's to episodes before, and I didn't give them easily. It's hard for a lot of episodes to symbolize perfection, mostly because there's always at least one little plotline that drags it down, or maybe some boring moments. However, Through The Looking Glass, along with a select few other television show episodes, is able to deliver with the intensity, action and mystery that the writers and directors promised, along with rebooting the show in one of the most amazing twists ever.

Through The Looking Glass focuses on a plot that was introduced a couple episodes previous: Ben and the rest of the Others are planning on raiding the survivor's camp in order to kidnap their pregnant women. However, due to Juliet turning on them, Jack and the rest of the group are able to formulate a plan to kill the Others for good. While Jack prepares this, he also plans on taking the rest of the camp to a radio tower, where they'll use Naomi's phone to call for help on her freighter. While they set up that plan, everything hinges on Charlie, who prepares to face the death that Desmond had been predicting all season. He enters the Looking Glass station underwater only to find a couple of Others who are running the station. While he attempts to disarm the jamming mechanism that is preventing Jack from calling the freighter, he also most deal with these two women who want to stop him at any cost.. Oh yeah, and Ben is furious upon hearing about the freighter and treks across the island to stop them.

I summarize all of this for people who haven't seen it (or even have seen it) because this two hour season finale never feels as long as it is. Each plot flows effortlessly into one another, and although we're given more questions as time goes on, a lot of them are wrapped up at the same time.. well, not wrapped up, but there's certainly some forward momentum, and that's good for a season that spent a majority of it wasting time doing nothing.

There are a number of incredible moments that stand out above anything else the show has done, including the entire fight between the survivors and the Others. The anguish on Jack's face as he faces the reality that Sayid, Bernard and Jin may have to die in order for them to get rescued was heart-breaking and it was cathartic for us, the audience, to watch Ben once again get the crap beaten out of him.

Through The Looking Glass isn't only an example of great television, but it shows how a show can sidestep growing stale by introducing a completely new story telling device. I always knew flashbacks would grow stale, but Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse set up the episode so we would have no idea what was going on. The flash forward was perfect, holding their cards to their chest until the final scene, where it's bookended with the promise of rescue.

And who can say enough about Charlie's final appearance (at least as a main character)? It was a great death, not over hyped or over done, but filmed in a way that still made us feel great sadness. Charlie, along with Hurley, were always great comic reliefs, and the way the previous episode, Greatest Hits, tied in with this one almost makes me see Greatest Hits as equally important to this one. And the chills I get on seeing Charlie write "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand never goes away, even after a second or third viewing.

It seems unlikely that Lost will able to one-up this finale, but the fact that a show can still provide impressive episodes like this is a testament to the show's talent. Nothing against the fourth and fifth season finales, but this one was perfect, not hinting at what the twist could be until the last few minutes. For a show that was threatening to grow stale and seemed to be close to losing people's interest, they come along with an episode like this and completely prove everybody wrong. One of the best two hours of TV I've seen, and I can't be budged on that.
  • It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor.

Like Allen Iverson, Lost's writers are the kings of making you feel certain that they're going one way and in a flash go in the complete opposite direction, leaving you dead in your tracks with nary an option but to just sit and marvel at the level of creative trickery in their employ. It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. By the final episodes of Lost's third season it was becoming fairly easy to predict what any given episode had in store: the unexpected. We all knew that the season finale would answer a few questions, raise even more and brilliantly leave us in anticipation of the next season. But just like watching the launch of a space shuttle, that awe-inspiring spectacle of man's ingenuity, the more times you see it, the less powerful it becomes. You still know it's a beautiful sight and recognize the amount of time and energy that went into it's creation, but the awe and wonder of that first viewing have started to fade. So how to dazzle an audience already desensitized by so many great plot twists? Hit them with something so unexpected that it makes them feel like they're watching it for the first time... again!

And so, in what will go down as arguably the best cliffhanger in television history, those geniuses at the writer's table penned those famous final words that will be forever etched in my mind: "We have to go back, Kate. We Have To Go Back!!!" It was with those words that my jaw and my living room floor became good friends for the next few days... months... hell, I still haven't gotten over this one! There are very few occasions when something leaves me virtually speechless and in those rarest of moments I'm reduced to a decidedly ineloquent (some might even say vulgar) three word phrase. It's usually reserved for major events in my life that come out of nowhere and strike me with enough emotion that I just simply can't think of anything else to say. This may be the only time that a television show has elicited such a reaction. Indeed, just seconds after Jack reveals that what we have been watching are in fact flash-forwards to the present, I heard myself utter those three words that always signal the screeching halt of my brain functions: "Holy... sh*t... dude..."
  • I am really glad that most fans have voted this the best episode because so have I up until now (Season 6 Ep 11)

This episode was simply breathtaking, particularly the ending which was a cliffhanger which simply pushed you physically over a cliff! No doubt the best episode to date - just perfect. I am glad that Ab Aeterno is second as I had it down as second too. It is a different kind of episode focusing on 1 character only rather than including virtually all characters as Through The Looking Glass Does. Both episodes are nigh on perfect - from the writing, to the directing to the acting - they deliver on all fronts - I could watch them over and over again - they are that good
  • In part 2 of LOST's third season finale Charlie dies, Locke 'has work to do', Jack and kate 'have to go back' and oh yeah ... Sayid snaps a guys neck with his legs.

After watching almost 5 seasons of LOST this remains the greatest episode the show has produced. After part 1 of the two hour show we were left with Locke in a pit being told he had 'work to do' by what seemed a two foot bigger Walt, it turned out that his work was to throw a knife in Naomi from the freighters back in attempt to stop Jack from leaving the island. For some reason Locke thought that tossing a dagger into an unarmed womens back would convince Jack that he was completley sane. Naomi was only one of the three prominent deaths that occured in the show (I won't count the people who Hurley mowed down in VW van as prominent)as Tom (aka 'guy with the fake beard') and Charlie met their match. Tom's was a bullet in the chest, while Charlie just managed to write 'not penny's boat' on his hand before drowning. We all know who the boat belonged to now but at the time it left us asking a lot of questions about what the hell Naomi was actually doing (Jack could have asked her but Locke didn't exactly give him chance). If that wasn't enough we got a look in Jacks life off the island as he became addicted to pain killers, tried to top himslef and visited Hoffs/Drawler funeral parlour after reading something very upsetting in the obituary part of a newspaper. All of this culminated in Jack finally making the phone call that rescued the ocenaic 815 survivors only for us to find that life in the real world wasn't all it's cracked up to be, when in one of the greatest twists I've ever seen on TV revealed that Jack's flash backs were in fact flash forwards and he and kate 'had to go back'.
  • That was the best thing I have ever witnessed on Television!

I think a lot of people will agree with me, when I say Lost is the greatest Drama/Adventure series of our time. This last episode of this season was evidence of this.

I was on the edge of my seat... Truly spectacular ending to the series. Revealed so much. I must say I expected a bigger fight between Locke and Jack... but I was still very satisfied.

That future flashback thing they did was excellent. I simply cannot WAIT for the next season...

Screw Heroes finale... I am sticking with Lost.
  • The most amazing 2 hours of TV history.

This episode had to be the single greatest episode of any show i've ever watched. So many twists and turns and moments that make your mouth drop. And then gets toped off with the biggest shocker in LOST history. Yes I cried when Charlie died, and was mad that Mikhail got away again. It makes me furious that Naomi isn't who she said she was. But in the end of the episode when we learned that we weren't watching flashbacks through out the episode, but flash forwards, I just couldn't believe it. We now know that at least Kate and Jack make it off the island. But we don't know who died. Can't wait until next season.
  • the greatest show ever made.

I have had dreams of the things so similar to what happen to the oceanic filght 815. My god, its so damn complicated. Man its like so wierd. Its my mind compressed in on television sitcom. Make the emmys come in, the most worthy thing ever. For years ive only watch the simpsons, but LOST is the greates thing ever. If I were to expierence that, id be like Jack. How do you escape people of all sorts dying and having make new friends. And when youre online with people on a chatroom or have a friendship with lots of people, and battle struggles, and able to get out of it. You really want it to happen again, but it wont be the same. Peace and love.
  • Season Finale -» The GameChanger Make this epiosde Perfect!!!

Objective/Details - » What are important for the Season Finale? The best Tension and The Best drama possible to be delivered. This is what people can remember later and rate it an 10. All the players are in their position.

Flashbacks -» What seemed to be a insignificant flashback, turned to be a huge cliffhanger, a game changer, bloody hell, after the last scene, you are obligated to revise all scenes, just to notice the details- This was a mater piece. 100% unexpected.

Event on The Island -» The Scene give the order to Kill Sayid, Bernard and Jin, well very good.

Charlie and Desmond -» Even here we have deaths. Charlie death was one of the most saddest Scenes ever made in TV history.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Nothing.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. After the last scene of this episode, you will want to watch again the entire episode.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold*. Well, you really can´t expect what Lost producers set for you.

4 - Action: Gold. Nice Save and more deaths.

5 - Funny: ?

6 - Drama: Charlie death is enough.

7 - Tension/Fear: There is one scene there has it all.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold*. It is impossible not to be excited for the season finale of Lost.

This Season Finale, mirror what this season delivered. At the beginning, the season started very slow, just delaying what was important to know, even the flashbacks managed here to have more surprises than the events on the Island. The first 10 episodes, only Desmond episode was absolutely mind blowing. After episode 10, the producers started to deliver the best material that they had saved and this was the salvation of this season. From episode 11 – 21, you have some brilliant episodes, only one episode fails to deliver great emotions. This season ends with a perfect image, with many secrets revealed and with something that nobody expected that would happen so soon, when there is 3 seasons to end this show.
  • The Rattlesnake in the Mailbox

After the best run of episodes on "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" pretty much had to be absolutely phenomenal Series finale of any shows ever aired and also the Most Shocking Revelations Ever. A brilliant action/adventure epic balanced by a real care for and attention to the characters who remain the core of "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" really feels like a top quality feature film, much like all of the other finales.

Almost all of the core characters are given a key role here, some of the dialogue, both dramatic and comedic, is absolutely excellent (although there are one or two bad lines as well), and the Jack-as-Moses stuff really does work. Charlie and Desmond get some of the meatiest stuff in the episode, and Charlie's death scene is really very well-done. Now that I've seen this episode at least five times, however, I can safely say that I don't like it as much as "Live Together, Die Alone", which was simply a superior achievement in almost every way, and fell short of this only in that it didn't have a massive game-changing shock ending which took everyone by surprised. That's not intended as a criticism of "Through the Looking Glass", but merely further praise for the simply phenomenal "Live Together, Die Alone". Also, "Through the Looking Glass" had a much better follow-up than "Live Together, Die Alone", but really in comparing the two episodes much more appeals to me in "Live Together, Die Alone".

"Through the Looking Glass" boasts perfect performances from basically the entire cast, I think that Matthew Fox gives his best performance here. A lot of people say that the flashforwards aren't interesting on their own, that they only become interesting when you find out that they're flashforwards. This might be true of the first viewing (though even then they are more enigmatic and mysterious than any other Jack-based off-island stories), but on repeat viewings I find them absolutely fascinating and iconic, though, I admit, not as great as Desmond's flashbacks in "Live Together, Die Alone". Matthew Fox's performance is a big part of my enjoyment of the flashforwards, but the coffin mystery, the dark, dark moment where Jack nearly jumps off the bridge, the one shot looking down at Jack and the coffin, and the final scene with Kate are all very memorable aspects of the episode.

On the island the story is very action/adventure based and works very well on those terms, with both the action scenes here being among the better ones on the show. Jack Bender does a great job of directing the episode and by the time you've gotten to the ending, which, let's face it, is what most people talk about in relation to the episode, you've already enjoyed some of the finest populist entertainment around, and with some amount of intelligence as well.
  • "We were not supposed to leave" The second island purge is played out, Charlie makes an heroic sacrifice, Ben is beaten to a pulp, the freighter is contacted and Jack and Kate are seen to have left the island...but now have to go back!

As with Season 2 the highlight of Season 3 was this finale. It has earned its place as my new favourite episode of them all, beating the Season 2 finale. Certainly this season's finale is more epic than Season 2's "Live Together, Die Alone" and taps into many more of Lost's strengths. I had complained at the beginning of the season at the lack of adventure, which probably had something to do with the fact that three of our characters were locked behind Polar Baer cages on a separate island and the remaining characters were milling around on the beach, waiting for something to happen. Luckily Kate got the A-Missions back into the series when she organised a mission to save Jack from Othersville. Since then there have been several missions and treks into the jungle but nothing on the scale of the one in this episode. Every season finale, thus far, has had an A-Mission. Season 1 was going to the Black Rock to retreive the dynamite and blowing up the Hatch, Season 2 was the quest to rescue Walt from the Others and this season is the ultimate mission - to reach the Radio Tower and contact a freighter that seemingly promises rescue for all the survivors! But as it is with Lost, everything is not as it seems. Both Ben and Locke warn Jack and his followers that the mysterious parachutist, Naomi is not who she says she is and that her friends on the freighter may not be coming to the island to rescue people, more likely the opposite. Ben and Locke's warnings can be believed as Naomi was surely lying when she mentioned that the wreckage of Flight 815 had been found underwater. Season 3 focused on the Others and by the end sets up the focus of the next season - The Freighter Folk!
    As was foreshadowed in "The Man Behind the Curtain" a second purge was put into action, our Losties coming out better in the end. The moment when Hurley steamrolls over the Others in the DHARMA van is glorious. One of the highlights is the Ben and Jack confrontation. As it began and built it reminded me of a similar moment between Goodwin and Ana-Lucia in "The Other 48 Days" in Season 2. Wonderful performances and quick-paced editing make this a standout moment. But there are many standout moments. Interestingly, for all the action scenes the episode never fully feels like an action packed episode. Much of the momentum is acheived through the anticipation and suspense of the events that unfold before your eyes and the acting performances. Michael Emerson remains irresistible as Ben, as he has since Day 1. But it has really only been in this season where the other actors have been given the excuse to dig a little deeper into their acting souls. Josh Holloway got a chance to reach new depths with Sawyer in "The Brig" and Dominic Monaghan has had his best chance to show what he can do with the character of Charlie.
    Speaking of Charlie, his death, though expected by many, was still powerful and shocking, not to mention emotional. Those that had rooted for Charlie's death surely came away from this episode feeling guilty. Who would have guessed at the beginning of the series that Charlie would have been the key to getting them off the island. Many have wondered why Charlie didn't make a run for it after seeing Mikhail but it is likely that he had succombed to his fate and maybe also he was protecting Desmond just like Desmond had been protecting Charlie for so long.
    We learn that signals from the island were being jammed by Bonnie and Greta under the orders of both Ben and, presumably, Jacob, to protect the island from the outside world. Seeing as Jack contacted the freighter in the end all that effort was seemingly in vain. However, this information does seem to close a loose-end regarding the island communication. Since the beginning of Season 3 the Others were under the impression that the Hatch Implosion [referred as the Incident or when the "Sky went purple"] was responsible for the loss of communication,when in fact it probably did little to change anything physically on the island. Another interesting revelation was when Bonnie tells Charlie that the code to unlock the jamming device was programmed by a musician. It got me thinking that maybe the code to "save the world" using the Swan computer [Hurley's numbers] were also programmed by someone, a musician or a mathmatician perhaps. So that would mean that just as the Looking Glass code was revealed to be the Beach Boys song, "Good Vibrations" the Swan station code is probably hiding something similar. I haven't had time to work out what the numbers on the Swan's computer could be if they relate to musical notes.
    There are several mini-revelations and alot of set-up for the following season but none of the key mysteries are revealed in this installment, which may come as a slight disappointment, but by episode's end that feeling is washed away when you get the huge revation that at least two characters - Jack and Kate - had escaped from the island and that the flashback events that led to this revelation were actually in fact all flash-forward. There had been clues pre-this episode that suggested that the writers were going to be changing the format of the off-island action somehow. After all, Season 3 was particularly keen to reveal the answers to all our pressing questions about the character's backstories. We had learnt about Jack's tattoo, how Juliet came to the island, Ben's background and how he got to the island, the Others Pregnancy experiments, the purge with the DHARMA Initiative, how Locke became wheel-chair bound, how Jin got to become a hitman for Sun's father, who the real Mr Sawyer was and his connection with John Locke, and who Chistian Shepherd's daughter was - Claire!!! All these answers served two purposes, to clear the way for flashforwards and to clear the way for more island-based mysteries to be explored in the future. As with the flashbacks the new flashforward device seen here is akin to Desmond's own condition. Like Desmond has experienced all season audiences were propelled into the future through flashes before their eyes. The whole Desmond time-travel flashes into future events was a very clever foreshadowing plot device used by the writers to set up the moment we realise that our off-island drama is occuring sometime in the future. The plot devices and literary techniques used throughout the season have been nothing less than awesomelingly impressive.
    Aside from the shock aspect generated the flashforwards also feature an engaging turn by Matthew Fox as a drunken and drugged Jack Shepherd, which comes off as just a surprise as the fact that he left the island. He does a great job of showing us a wayward Jack, which juxtaposes his current mental state on the island. One of the most interesting parts of the flashback, which has caused a little ripple amongst the Lost fan community is the reference to Christian Shepherd. When Jack is accused of drinking by the new Chief of Surgery, Dr Hammill, Jack responds by ordering that he get his father down here and if Jack is drunker than he is then Jack can be fired. Many fans have speculated that Jack's father is still alive, which I don't. I interpreted it that Jack was being sarcastic to Dr Hammill. Matthew Fox's smug expression was enough to make me believe that he was being sarcastic. Of course Christian would be alot drunker than Jack is because he is dead. Jack was trying to be funny and used the current state of his father to compare against his own. I hope I have explained this as clear as I can!
    I guess sometimes Black humour can pass under the radar of fans searching for the next easter egg to speculate over. Now that the second island purge is seemingly over and a rescue operation of sorts was carried out leading to Jack and Kate finding safe haven back in the real world, the door is left wide open for future episode plotlines. For all those who left the show before this groundbreaking episode this is the kind of episode that could bring you back, providing you accept the new flash device. Those that had tired of the flashbacks will find great solace in this narrative shake-up and suddenly for the first time since the Season 1 Pilot episode the series feels fresh and new again. If, as Ben says, Jack has unleashed the "beginning of the end" he has also opened the Hatch door to a new beginning of a show that seemed doomed midway through the season and now is suddenly reinvigorated.
    This episode only goes to prove that there is plenty of fuel left in the tank.
  • This is hands down, the best episode of Lost ever and a fantastic way to end the third season.

It's been a year and a half since Through the Looking Glass hit our screens and wowed Lost fans alike and I still haven't got over it. From the beginning to the end it was a non stop thrill ride which didn't allow the audience to put their emotions to rest for one single second. Definately the best episode of Lost ever and hopefully an episode that will only be trumped by the season 6 finale. The episode is a Jack flashback and I admit I was one of those people who groaned when they realised what they were watching. I was expecting some revelations about what happened to Jack, whilst he was with the others, something that would shock us all and I was slightly disgusted that we were once again seeing a useless Jack flashback. That was until the end when Lost changed forever...and the show has never been better. The main revelation of this episode is that what we were watching was not a Jack flashback, but a Jack flashforward and that he and Kate have somehow escaped the island. It took my brain a few minutes to catch up with my common sense when Kate walked out of the shadows. How could Kate have known Jack before the crash? Did they suffer memory loss? And do I even want that to make sense? And then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I have never looked at Lost in the same light again. Damon and Carleton came up with a plot that gave the show the fresh new edge it needed, especially after the sometimes unjustified negetive comments of the third season. By the end of this episode there was simply no denying that this was the best show on television. The island action was probably the most exciting moment of the episode. Jack tried to lead a large group of the survivors up to the radio tower so they can send a signal to Naomi's freighter but they are met with complications. First of all Sayid, Jin and Bernard have get rid of the others who tried to attack the beachcamp, then Charlie has to switch off the jamming equipment in the Looking Glass station and thats not even taking into account Ben and Locke's attempts to sabotage the survivors' escape. Soon into the episode it become apparent things were going wrong. Sayid, Jin and Bernard were kidnapped by the only three others they left alive, Tom, Pryce and Jason, and then when Ben realised were Jack was going he drew his trump card. He met up with Jack and his team and told Jack that if he didn't hand over Naomi's radio and go back to the beach then he would order Tom to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Knowing that he couldn't risk the rescue of the group Jack refused to give up the radio and gunshots rang out over Ben's radio in one of the most shocking and sickening moments in the show. Matthew Fox's acting is brilliant in this scene, his recoil as the gunshots ring out and then the anger washing over him as he beats up Michael Emerson yet again. Fans everywhere were devastated that two main cast members and a pretty amazing guest star had been wiped out in the space of a few seconds and it seemed this finale would take a darker turn. But I think we all cheered in triumph when we realised that Tom had bluffed and shot the sand instead. And then came the best action scene in Lost ever. Sawyer and Juliet had split off from Jack's group when they realised the others had taken Sayid, Jin and Bernard hostage. When Hurley had tried to go with them they refused but as they arrive at the beach they realised how wrong they were...as Hurley comes bursting out of the trees in his VW van and runs down Pryce in one of the most triumphant moments ever. Sayid than did a crazy breakdancing thing with his legs and broke Jason's neck and Sawyer ended the show by shooting Tom in the chest, even though he had given up. Seems he finally got payback for Tom kidnapping Walt. Elsewhere in this episode Charlie and Desmond manage to clear Mikhail, Bonnie and Greta out the way so they can continue with their task but all is not right. After shutting down the blocking signal, Charlie gets a video message from Penelope who soon realises that Charlie is an 815 survivor. However before Charlie can call Desmond over to be reunited with Penny, Mikhail shows up and uses a grenade to blow a hole in the porthole. Charlie closes the door so Desmond can be saved and his destiny can end and then dies in an incredibly tearjerking moment. As the episode ends Ben is a hostage of Jacks', Locke has failed in his attempt to stop the survivors from leaving the island and Jack has finally called for help. But something is wrong.
    We now know that Naomi's boat wasn't sent there by Penelope Widmore so then who was it sent by? Are they here to hurt the survivors like Ben and Locke have said and if they are than why and who do they really work for? We know in the future that Jack wants to go back to the island because he feels they shouldn't have left but then what has happened to warrant this change of heart? And if Jack and Kate are off the island who else is off the island? And how the hell are they going to get back?
    Here's waiting for season 4.
  • A Jack-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode. It was definitely a great way to end the third season. Although, the one thing that I didn't like about this episode is the fact that they killed off Charlie since he's always been one of my most favorite characters on the show. I absolutely loved the flash-forwards of Jack's life after he gets off the island. I thought that they were really great. I loved the ending of the episode. That was definitely a great way to end the third season. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost and I can't wait for the season four DVD set to come out so I can catch up on the season four episodes that I missed.
  • ...

Am I the only one who didn't understand a lot of things?? First of all, why director, producer and rest of all cast is playing with our brains? Watching all this long episode which lasted for 84 minutes and had a serious headache, in fact I had a brainstorm, because I could understand if Jack's vision is his past or his future. He became a drug addict, there was his ex-wife and he told to the doctor to get his father downstairs and that if Jack is drunker than Christian, Dr. Hamill can fire him. In fact he wouldn't say that if his father would be dead. But when he had that meeting nearby the airport I had assumption that it'll be Kate or somebody else from plane or island, I didn't have the believe that will be his wife. I couldn't understand whose funeral was that, about whom Kate's speaking about in the last scene of this episode. How did Penelope made connection to this concrete station, because in my view it's kinda impossible to find the real connection. Yeah, in fact there was too many things that I didn't manage to understand. Can somebody help?
    Ok, but seriously I'm in rush to watch season 4.
  • This is about as good television can get.

"Through the Looking Glass" hits Lost perfection - there's simply no doubt about that.

Many people have fantasied about the show's series finale - how it would end, what the last episode would be like. Even more people fantasied about the survivor's post-island life(if there was to be one). Who will survive?
    How will they return to their lives?
    Will any of the survivors hook up with eachother?

And so the list goes on. But one thing nobody thought about was, what if, that is not the show's ending?

Lost has been cleverly avoiding cliches since episode 1. It's not like we haven't seen similiar stories (shows, movies) before that have a plot similiar to Lost. Yet Lost, still manages to come off really unique.

And regarding the ending, it will be unique aswell. With TTLG, the show gives up it's regular formula - the flashbacks - and introduces the flashforwards.

Seeing this reveal through Jack's eyes was an easy decision for the writers - he, after all, is the "hero" of the show. It was an interesting(yet logical) decision from the writers to make his post island life rather miserable. I figured it could be because of many things:

- On the island he truly "found" himself: the hero, the doctor, the lover

- To leave the island he made a sacrifice

- Kate ended up with someone else post island(which seems rather obvious watching this episode).

The episode is like a mirror; on the island, the survivors are desperately trying to leave and when they finally find salvation they all cheer. But in the flashforwards; Jack is desperately trying to get back. The Ben / Jack interaction was just really good. It really felt as if the entire season was building up to it. I thought it was interesting that Tom turned out to be the "bad guy" and Ben the "good guy" - whereas Tom was ready to shoot 3 survivors in cold blood, Ben wasn't.

However, the happenings in the Looking Glass actually contradict that with Ben ordering Mikhail to kill Bonnie and Greta AND Charlie. This is not really him being out of character - it's just Ben being... Ben. Hands down the most complex character on the show. He's willing to do ANYTHING to protect the island(even kill his own people) but when it comes to personal differences, he's not really all that evil. Now that I have mentioned the Looking Glass, let me say that I did get quite emotional the previous episode, "Greatest Hits", but Charlie's death scene was the scene that, finally, made me cry. It was a beautiful scene. Everything was top notch: Amazing music by Michael Giacchino, outstanding performance by Dominic Monaghan and Henry Ian Cusick and perfect directing by Jack Bender.

Honestly - who could hold the tears back when Desmond and Charlie put their hands on the glass? Such an amazing moment - finally showed how strong their friendship developed during the season.

What's amazing in this episode is how the last scene, where the flashforward is revealed, puts everything in a different perspective. So right after you finished watching it - you can rewatch and feel as if you're watching a whole new episode.

All in all - this was television's finest. It's a shame that while this episode is critically acclaimed, it didn't win nearly as many awards as it deserves. But, for us, fans, this was definitely something very much like - christmas.

Kudos. 10/10, naturally.
  • Ben and Jack have a gentlemanly diuscussion, regarding the tower, the sat phone and the situation. Sawyer and Juliet are trying to formulate a rescue plan whilst Charlie and Des try to unjam the jammer.

Jack tells Kate that Sawyer only told her he didn't want to go with her because he wanted to protect her, as he did when they were at the hydra, he says I told you that because I love you and didnt want you getting hurt.

We then see Jack, looking down at the paper clipping, then walks across the road without looking and into a funeral parlour. A man tells him that there wasn't a funeral that it was just a viewing, we see Jack leave and go back to the hospital, looking for prescription drugs then has a run in with the new chief of medicine.

On the walk upto the tower he asks Danielle about the tower, she says she only went once, that the island is her home and then the group come across Ben and Alex, Ben asks Jack to turn around and go back,to give him 5 minutes of chat, he deserves that after killing 7 of his people.

Mikhael comes out of the radio room, puts on his eyepatch and then shoots and kills Greta and then shoots Bonny in the back, Des comes out of his hiding place and shoots Mikhael through the heart with a harpoon spear. Des picks up his gun, Charlie tells him not to shoot Bonny as they need her. She is the only one with the code now except for Ben. Kate had come around the back of Ben and Alex and told Jack that they are alone. Jack takes Ben's walkie as they go for that talk.

They start to talk, Ben tells Jack of the day he killed 40 on the island and that he was going to be doing the same as he, he warns him that Naomi is not who she seems to be, that he will find out. He asks and gets the radio back after Tom radios him, giving him 1 minute to decide or his 3 friends die.

Meanwhile, Charlie has gotten some of the musical code from Bonnie, Des has organised the diving equipment, he puts the code in, was about to walk away when incoming signal flashes and beeps, it connects him to Penny, he starts talking to her, there is a knock at the hatch, he sees Mikhael with a handgrenade, he shuts Des out of the control room and learns that the ship is not from penny, as water floods into Charlie, he writes a message on his hand for Des to warn the others.

Jack has let the minute pass, he then hears 3 gunshots and muted screams, then he beats Ben to near unconsciousness, then calls Tom on the Walkie and tells him that he is going to get his people rescued and then find Tom and kill him. He leads Ben back to the group and gets them to tie him up, Danielle is very interested in Alex, Alex is getting slightly spooked by the touching until Ben tells Alex that Danielle is he mother.

Sawyer and Juliet are watching the beach, as Tom tells one of the others that perhaps they should have killed them instead of firing into the sand, revealing that all 3 are still alive, gagged and bound. Sawyer says to Juliet that they will have to wait til nightfall, but as Juliet points out they are unarmed, out numbered and nothing they can do. Just then there is something coming through the jungle, they dive out of the way of Hurley in the camper van, as he drives into one of the others, Sawyer follows his path, gets a gun, one of the others is disarmed and killed by Sayid and Juliet holds the Tom at gunpoint, until Sawyer shoots him in the chest, saying, that's for taking the boy off the raft.

Hurley saves the day, the 3 prisoners are grateful, Hurley gets on the radio and yells "Others, if you're listening to this, then you should know we got you b's, and if the rest of you dont want to get blown up, then you'll stay away from the beach. Jack gets on the radio and asks whats happening and he tells him that they rescued Jin, Bernhard and Sayid and Sawyer and Juliet are okay too. Claire asks about Charlie but is told that he should be on the way back.

Naomi gets a signal on her phone but it is being blocked by Danielles message, so they go upto the tower and turn of the message, they are not able to get a signal so go outside, she dials the number but as she does she falls, a knife in her back and along stumbles Locke, he gets the gun out as Jack has picked up the phone, he threatens to shoot him, but doesnt, he lurks away as someone answers the call, Jack is told they will be right there.
  • great but sad.

In this double-length episode, Jack's plan to kill the Others backfires, and Sayid, Jin, and Bernard are held hostage by the Others at the beach. Led by Rousseau, the castaways travel to the radio tower to turn off Rousseau's transmission. Naomi makes contact with her boat, but is stabbed by Locke, who along with Ben, believes that the survivors are making a mistake. Charlie makes contact with Penny Widmore in the underwater Dharma station, but drowns when the station is flooded by Mikhail. Sawyer, Juliet, and Hurley rescue the castaways at the beach. Instead of flashbacks, flashforwards feature Jack's miserable life after rescue from the island. I was very upset to see Charlie go in this episode, can't beleave how many characters where killed off in this episode it is a series classic. R.I.P Charlie Pace.
  • One of the best!

This will be a duplicate review for Through The Looking Glass parts 1 and 2. They will be the exact same thing, right down to the periods.

There are flashfowards to Jack. He is a broken man who is hooked on perscription drugs and is a drunk. He attempts to commit suicide. He ends up saving the lives of two people. A doctor tries to help him, but it doesn't work. He calls up Kate and tells them that they have to go back to the island.

Charlie is captured by the two women inside the hatch. They contact Ben and he sends Mikhail. Mikhail sees Desmond and shoots at him. Desmond dives under and gets there but hides. Mikhail talks to Ben and follows the orders to kill Charlie and the two women. Desmond kills Mikhail after Mikhail manages to kill one woman and injure the other. Charlie gets the code from the living woman and she dies. Charlie gets in contact with Penny. He asks about Naomi and she doesn't know anything about her. Desmond notices Mikhail is missing. Mikhail appears outside of Charlie's window and blows it open. Charlie shuts the door so Desmond won't drown. He writes "Not Penny's boat" on his hand and shows Desmond. Charlie then drowns.

Jack and everyone else head up to the radio tower. Naomi tells Jack how to work the phone just in case. They are worried when they only see two explosions.

Sayid, Jin and Bernard stay behind to kill the Others. The Others come and go toward the tents. Sayid takes the first shot and hits it! Bernard takes the second shot and also hits it! Jin has trouble with his pistol and the Others get him. Bernard tries to help, but the Others get him too. Sayid is also captured, but they managed to kill 7 of the Others. They contact Ben and Ben tells them to make them talk. Bernard spills it. The Others tell Ben.

Kate wants to go back for Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Sawyer decides to go, but he doesn't want Kate with him. Juliet goes instead, but before she does, she kisses Jack. Kate is jealous, but when Jack talks to Kate, he tells her that he loves her. Sawyer and Juliet are on their way when Hurley wants to help. Sawyer says no.

Ben quickly starts planning how to stop Jack. Alex goes with him to stop them from getting to the radio tower. They encounter Jack and Ben and Jack talk. Alex also meets her mother, Danielle. Ben threatens to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. He then orders Tom to kill them. There are three shots fired on the walkie talkie. Ben doesn't want Jack to contact the freighter. Jack beats Ben to a pulp. They proceed to the radio tower.

Locke is about to end it all, but suddenly, Walt stops him and tells him to get up.

Saywer and Juliet arrive at camp. It turns out that the Otheres lied to Ben about killing Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Hurley then comes with the van and kills an Other. Sayid kills another. Saywer then kills Tom. They are all safe.

At the radio tower, Naomi gets a signal because of Charlie. They stop Danielle's transmission. Naomi is contacting them, but Locke kills her. He tells Jack not to call, but Jack does it anyway.

This was an amazing episode of Lost! I was really sad when Charlie died. Even though I didn't really like him as much throughout the series, this really did affect me. The flashfowards were pretty good, especially the last one, but nothing really grabbed me there. Sawyer was so mean to Hurley and Hurley just wanted to help! I really felt sorry for Hurley at that point. I didn't want Jack to contact the freighter. I don't even know what to think! As for couples, I want Jack and Juliet together and Kate and Sawyer together! Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, now why'd you go and tell the Others the whole plan? That was so dumb! I'm still sad about Charlie. I hope Desmond remembers to give Charlie's "greatest hits" to Claire. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!
  • The perfect way to end the season, and hopefully looked back upon as one of the greatest episodes Lost has ever produced. (Spoiler Alert!)

Looking back on this episode halfway through Seasn 4, I can still find no big flaws in it. Charlie's final hour is told with such grace that you'll cry a little as he drowns. Ben is at rope's end and at his finest acting as he tries to convince the losties that "Penny's Boat" are the bad guys. The war between the Losties and the Others is done with enough belivable twists. I even liked the Jack episode which is very rare for me, and I felt Matthew Fox did a terrific job. In general this episode is everything Lost should be: a roller coster with a lot of charater's you belive in. As you go from one shocking twist to another, none of it feels rushed or out of place. This episode gets extra points for having Hurley run over Brain with the Dharma bus. Overall this episode is one of the greatest ever produced by the Losties. Keep it up.
  • People, you have to watch Lost!

So far, this is the best season finale. This is exactly why I watch this series. This episode has mystery, drama, adventure... I can't explain how difficult it was waiting for "the beginning of the end" of this series. I'm sad for Charlie's death, but we all know that he died for a good reason... didn't he?

And "Not Penny's Boat" will be one of the greates quotes of all time in TV history.

This series is great. My future mother-in-law watched the first two seasons in a week and a half. My girlfriend and I can't wait for the second episode of the fourth season.

People, you have to watch lost!

Namaste.
  • Part two: This episode as a whole is everything you could hope for.

It seemed as if Charlie would escape death, with Greta & Bonnie dead and Mikhail playing possum, but that false sense of security with Desmond not having any flashes was only setting us up for the inevitable fall when Mikhail comes back for one more shot, assuming he hasn't blown up (really the only way I'll be convinced he's dead is if they behead him and burn the body). Perhaps it is appropriate that the seemingly unstoppable figure of Mikhail would kill Charlie, as "Flashes Before Your Eyes" explored the inevitability of certain events.

Some have questioned whether Charlie needed to die, and that his sacrifice in the end is somewhat negated by the twist. It feels right that he goes: he conquered his demons. Aside from one, Desmond's flashes of Charlie had him dying doing something noble. What better way to go than to dismantle the blocking signal, while warning Desmond that Naomi is lying? In the end Charlie gets a moving send-off, with that gorgeous, recurring "Life & Death" theme.

One has to admire Ben's confidence. Despite the fact that Jack and company have no reason to trust anything he says and the antagonism that goes with all the stuff The Others have done to the castaways, he still thinks that he can talk Jack out of doing what he is dead set on doing. Of course, having Jin, Bernard and Sayid hostage when they meet is an important bargaining chip.

While Jack wants to spare the three, his leadership is focused on getting the survivors off the island, despite his nature to want to save everyone. That explodes when he believes the three were executed on the beach. Ben gets a beat down many believe he's had coming for a long time. After that beating, humiliation, and later knowledge that Richard is the only Other (besides Jacob) not dead, deflected or captured, it leaves Ben at his lowest. One should wonder how that'll change when the freighter arrives and he's confirmed right.

This episode serves as the culmination for many stories that have been building up since the first season. Another one is Rousseau's reunion with Alex. This was set up in the eighth episode. Rousseau's ice breaker, asking if Alex wanted to tie up Ben together, has to be one of the best said between an estranged mother and daughter.

Rousseau had made it clear to Jack that she wouldn't be leaving the island, which makes sense for her character. She'd likely be institutionalized. However, what does that mean for Alex? One would assume she'd want to go to the mainland and see the rest of the world and maybe have a normal relationship with Karl. However, after seeing the mother she believed her whole life to be dead she may want to stay.

Hurley provides one of the most satisfying moments in the episode, saving the day for the castaways on the beach by plowing through the beach (and Pryce) in the Dharma van. With "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead", Hurley had a minor victory after all the bad stuff he's been through thanks to the van. Now the van makes him a hero. As much as we don't like to see Hurley be put down as he did with Sawyer, it made his heroism even more satisfying. Ultimately The Others were foiled on the beach because Ben decided to leave his father to rot in that Dharma van so many years earlier. The only thing missing was "Shambala" blasting in the background. Then it would've been perfection.

In addition to running over Pryce, Hurley's distraction allows Sayid to show off some of his Republican Guard skills with a neck break that I haven't seen since the 5th season finale of "24". Considering Sayid's feelings towards the Others, a major reason why he stayed behind besides his military training, that must've been more cathartic than blowing up the tents the night before.

While the van action sequence was a fist-pumping victory, they're quick to show us the other side with Sawyer gunning down an unarmed and surrendering Tom after the fight ended. While it was unfortunate to see Tom go, it shows just how dark Sawyer has become. It would be like one of The Others killing Hurley. Also Tom, along with nearly every other prominent Other, dying is a fitting part of the end of The Others' central role in the season, along with Ben's fall and Juliet's deflection.

On that note, Locke throwing a machete through Naomi's back was an unexpected move. If there is any fault I have with this episode is that Locke's role is so much reduced compared to the first two season finales. However, considering this episode is jam packed with stuff that Locke making his way to the radio tower is an easy thing to omit.

He's been treading along a dark path for some time now. His path to understanding the island has lead him on a path of destruction and manipulation. If he is really the heir apparent for Ben as great protector, this would be fitting. It does recall past experiences where he was told he wasn't a killer. Where does he go from there?

Unfortunately the big confrontation between Locke and Jack plays out a little uneven. Locke didn't intend to shoot Jack when he contacted the freighter (although after he impaled Naomi with the machete we certainly thought he could), but he somehow limps away without anyone stopping him. While it doesn't work as well as other moments in the episode, this serves more to remind us of the central conflict among the survivors as "rescue" prepares to invade.

Since the people on Naomi's freighter aren't connected to Penny, their true identity is one of the major unanswered questions of the episode. Considering Naomi had a copy of Desmond's picture and knew who he was, they must've had access to Penelope and the Portugese men who "found it" at the end of season two. It could be safe to guess Mr. Widmore, whose resources ultimately have funded Penelope's search, would want to find the island. Tie in The Lost Experience (if you consider it cannon), and you know that Widmore was involved with Dharma and Alvar Hanso. Widmore could be searching for the island to claim what he thinks he deserves. Maybe he's been using Desmond as a pawn in this scheme, since Widmore's race around the world lead Desmond to the island.

The flash-forward reveal is the defining game changer of the season. Although eagle-eyed or DVR-owning viewers saw the newspaper's date (not necessarily an indicator of time) or Jack owning a current cell phone, the time of the episode was left ambiguous. Jack's father is mentioned as being alive & Sarah is still Jack's emergency contact, both events could be before the crash. Not specifying time isn't uncommon in flashbacks, but that's more a reason of practicality and need to address the time.

There is also the question of Jack's father, who Jack mentioned as if he was still alive at the hospital. Christian's status has been in question since "White Rabbit", where he appeared to Jack and his body was revealed to be missing from his casket, never seen since then. Despite theorizing, I think it boils down to Jack being so out of it that he fails to realize it, or correct himself.

Jack listening to Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice" could've placed this episode as early as 1993, when "In Utero was released" (although "Lost" isn't one of those shows that would feature some song in a lazy way of saying "It's 1993!") Note about the song: "Something In the Way" would've been a better Nirvana song choice. However, it was likely scrapped for something harsher sounding to represent Jack's nihilism. Like the first episode this season, I have a problem with a song choice. It's just the music nerd in me.

The mysterious person in the coffin has been one of the most speculated pieces of this episode. His obituary served as the catalyst for Jack to want to kill himself and later to convince Kate that they needed to return to the island. Initially it seemed like a red herring: the person wasn't important, so much as what it did to Jack. However that would be disappointing after all this time. It doesn't seem likely that the person in the coffin is a major character we've already met. Even if they don't make it to the final episode, spilling what happened to Locke, Ben or even Michael in advance would be an improper way to end an established character, unless they handled it like they did with Charlie.

The funeral scene doesn't offer much help. It was held in a presumably bad neighborhood in possibly cheap funeral home. The person had no friends or family attend the funeral, nor did Jack consider the person either. This makes some believe that Michael, Locke or Ben may be that person. It applies most to Ben, who presumably has been on the island since he was a preteen and wouldn't have contacts with the outside world outside of Mittelos and "Others" fronts. Despite the way their relationship ended, Helen would likely attend Locke's funeral, and Michael's life outside of Walt and Susan hasn't been tackled.

Regardless, Jack feels responsible for the person's death. With the action on the island, it's safe to assume that Jack contacting the freighter set off a chain reaction that lead to his death. This makes me believe further that the person is on the freighter. Maybe that person sided with Jack and the survivors, leading the other freight crew to destroy that person's life.

Jack's attitude about returning to the island could indicate that some of the castaways are still there. As far as we know, Kate and Jack are the only ones who got back home. That could explain why he's so depressed: he couldn't help them and needs to if he's to have any peace. Perhaps he didn't help them and that's made it worse. He might've made a deal with the devil to get off the island, one that included hiding the truth about what really happened to the survivors, as he tells Kate he's sick of lying.

It makes sense that Kate would be reluctant. The people on the freighter likely have high connections that would make her criminal history disappear. Kate's past didn't become public knowledge until late in the first season, and even then only a few know much, so it's unlikely her story was a major news story. Also, considering those closely invested in the case are dead, it'd be easy to sweep this under the rug.

Also part one alluded to the possibility that Kate is pregnant, which is likely considering she's slept with Sawyer a few times this season and they likely haven't had access to birth control. Kate would want off for the simple reason that she doesn't want to die like the other pregnant women. She mentioned a "he" would be waiting for her. It could mean a male partner like Sawyer, or even a young boy, who'd be roughly 18 months old in the flash-forward.

In all the discussion I've read about the finale, one thing that hasn't been asked is why the people on the freighter would chose to rescue only a few people and not everyone. Obviously this question is more for next season. Do they have something to gain, or are their hands tied where they have to show some survivors?

Cuse and Lindelof have clarified two things about the "Snake in the mailbox" twist. The flash-forward isn't meant to be a possible future, but exactly what happens, so any discussion of Jack trying to avoid that future are now moot. It also isn't the end of the story chronologically. It may be a stretch, but they could go as far as Aaron as an old man with flash-forwards.

This brings to question the current series' progression. Is there going to be a massive jump on the island when Jack inevitably returns and if so, when will that be? How much of the interim will we see? It's likely that the freighter is what takes Jack and Kate back to the mainland, but when will that happen? It doesn't seem like that they would let a long stretch on "Lost" happen with Jack off the island, but after this twist, I'm not dismissing anything. Unlike previous finales, there is no clear idea where the series will head in the fourth season. When the hatch door blew open, it made way for the second season's exploration of the hatch, as did the kidnapping of the main three set up The Others story. Obviously the flash-forward device and those on the freighter will be major elements in the foreseeable future, but how will that play out?

Season three was a roller coaster ride both on and off screen. The "mini-season" left many ready to claim "Lost" as a show past its prime, especially with the hot new kid in town "Heroes" stealing its thunder. However, the spring run was absolutely amazing, with revelations and long awaited answers satisfyingly revealed, and this episode serves as the ultimate vindication for those who stayed faithful. This was easily the best episode I've seen in 2007. The producers promised that by the end of "Lost", we'd know who the characters were, how they changed and where they would go from there, and judging by the first taste of flash-forwards, they weren't kidding. When an episode delivers this many thrills, emotional moments, revelations, twists, turns and leaves you clueless as to where they're going to go next, especially three seasons in, you can't ask for anything more.
  • Wow... just when you think the series may finally be dead, the creators throw this one at you... instant classic finale!

In recent months, I had thought that Lost may finally be falling apart. The show that had started with so much enthusiasm had died off at the end of the second season and beginning of the third... but these last few episodes of the third season might have been the best in the entire series to date! Well save for maybe that amazing season one finale...

The twist at the end was sooooo unexpected! (spoilers ahead) I mean come on... they get off the island and now want to go back? WOW! They through a curve ball at America by showing us a flash forward with Jack and I never even caught it!

One hell of an episode... a well written ending
  • What a fine episode.

I loved every part of it. The best part in my opinion was when Hurely totally got in the bust and delivered some first class but whoop. That was hilarious, and the whole scene was well played and delivered. The Jack part (the whole thing) was pretty good to, with Jack going berserk after thinking that Jin, Bernard and Sayid were dead. Also the ending with Locke was okay, but it was a little obvious he wasn't going to shoot Jack. The whole flashback sequence was so strange at first, until the ending it all made sense. It was a flashFORWARD! Quite interesting, now we know what Jack has in store for him. I feel sorry, I wonder who died though, and who Kate has settled down with. So much suspense! At least it's only about a month left till Season 4...

Charlie died. It was really sad, but he seemed content to the fact that Claire and Aaron would get home. He was an awesome character, and the first death of someone on the Oceanic Flight 815. I'll miss him. And it's not Penelope's boat, so, who's is it...? We'll see on season 4 lol.
  • The best episode in LOST history

This season of LOST has improved a heck of a lot since the beginning, as for this finale, IT was that good, I don't even know who on earth would say no to LOST.

Just like Part 1 but just perfect, nothing wrong, other than the flashbacks which I thought were silly and let me down.. This episode proved to the world that no show should ever beat LOST, this show is #1.

Ben Linus is finally caught out and may be killed if their plan works. It was great to see Alex and Rousseau back together again! Jack will do anything to get off the island and he proved that by sacrificing Bernard, Jin and Sayid as well as risking his own life in front of Locke. John Locke saw Walt earlier, what was that all about???
    Ben is a liar, maybe not to be killed but he needs to be taught a valuable lesson, as I created the forum post on whether he should die or not, I don't think he should but he should be punished. Now about Niomi, I don't trust the women, Charlie spoke with Penny on some tv thing and she had NO idea who Niomi was/ This could be a big mistake for everyone in the next series when he finds out that Niomi's people are not what they seem... Or who they say they are...

But it's a farewell to one of my long time favorite people : Charlie. Desmond watched the whole thing...Charlie did it himself by closing the hatch door. Mikhal bombed the window and Charlie drowned. I cried, seriously, It was terrible. This has proved that something is fishy about Mikhal, escaping death twice now. Goodbye Charlie Pace namaste. I will miss him heaps....It was a friggen tearjercker!

Jack took a stand for his life and seemingly has got everyone rescued but somehow, something isn't quite right. That leaves us waiting until Season 4 which will probably be only better! But overall this was PERFECT. Absolutely outstanding.......... A season that started off in bad shape has now proved that it can be good and is now the worlds #1 show and will be for a very very long time..

But for the last scene, well was it a flashforward?
  • R.I.P

• "We have to go back!", and watch that episode again because it was friggin' fantastic!

(spoiler alert)Wow. this episode was amazing. Through The looking glass was the first episode in the whole series of LOST to contain a (spoileralert) flashforward!! Jack's future looks very depressing and apparently they should have never left the island. "We have to go back!" It was an intense episode, Jack beat the hell out of Ben (who in my opininon completely deserved it), we had to say goodbye to our favorite rock star druggy Charlie, Hurley got to run over that annoying "other" and we got to see another DHARMA station that had bad ass written all over it because it was under water, blocking signals and not to mention the bad ass himself,Mikhail Bkunin, swam down to take a harpoon to the chest (survive it) and blow up a window with a grenade and kill a main character. Also, Walt returned and our survivors found "rescue" or what they think is rescue.......LOST
  • One of the best Lost episodes ever...

Through The Looking Glass was a fantastic episode of Lost. A brilliant way to finish off the season. The second part of the episode was a little better than the first. We see Ben try to reason with jack telling him Naomi is not who she says and that they will die if they call from the radio tower. jack doesn't believe Ben and so Kicks the S__t outta him! Danielle and Alex are reunited. Ben tells Tom, who has Sayid, Bernard and Jin captured to kill them. We hear gunshots, but later see that Tom didn't actualy shoot them. In the looking glass, Mikhail trys to kill Charlie, but before he can Desmond shoots him in the chest with an speargun. The two women are also killed. Charlie goes to switch off the switch, when Penny appears on a screen, saying that she doesn't know who naomin is. Suddenly we see Mikhail outside the submarine. He sets off a grenade which explodes the window and tons of water gushes in on top of Charlie. Charlie closes the door, and sacrafices himself, because he knows it's the onl way for Claire to be rescued. Before he dies he writes the words "Not penny's Boat" on his hand and shows it to Des. He then lets go, blesses himself and dies. It's one of the saddest moments I've ever seen on Lost. The scene is so well done, so that even if you're not a big fan of Charlie ( I am) that you will feel very sad as he died.
    Back on the main island, they reach the radiop tower and shut off Danielle's signal. Jack turns on the radio and is about to call, when Locke comes outta nowhere and throws a knife in Naomi's back, killing her. Jack and Locke stare at eachother. Locke tells Jack not to do it, or he will kill him, holding a gun to Jack. Jack doesn't belive him and calls, a man answers and Jack tells him where they are. The man says to come get them. Everyone celebrates. Hurley who was at the beach, came to help Juliet and Sawyer by knocking down Ryan in his minbus. Sayid was then able to kill an other and Sawyer trapped Tom, who surrenders. Sawyer shoots him anyway, and says "That was for the kid on the raft". Hurley tells jack everyone is alright.
    There is happiness in the camp.
    Just then, it does a flash. We see jack call someone and say they need to meet up. He drives to a place near an airport, and someone else pulls up and gets outta the car. It is Kate. We are shocked to see it, and we realize that these weren't flashbacks, they were FLASFORWARDS! Jack tells her they need to go back to the island. He begs her, but she walks away on him.
    "We need to go back, Kate!"

Awesome episode! Lovely ending!
  • Season finale-exciting, evocative, and a true classic episode for this amazing show. Features many crucial events including a game-changer for the rest of the series.

It's well overdue, but better late than never...

This was an amazing episode, you laughed, cried, and jumped out of your seat and yelled at the TV. This episode carried you through the range of emotions. This episode also made you think. Given all of the lies and misinformation from Ben, why would Jack believe him? Could his plea to stop Jack from using the satellite phone be the proverbial "Boy Who Cried Wolf?" Is that idea backed up by Locke's actions? Was it selfish of him to kill Naomi or was he trying to protect the group?

It was confirmed that Rousseau is Alex's mother...big shock there, how this changes the group's dynamic remains to be seen. It could be a minor detail or an important event. This action also brought Carl into the fold-they could provide invaluable info about The Others.

The Temple? What's that? Seems interesting.

Go into the great unknown Charlie, hopefully your sacrifice will not be in vain.

Ever since Sawyer killed Anthony Cooper, he's been darker and more withdrawn...What will this mean? Got to love Hurley, he came through in a big way. I know he's not a fighter, but he put the group first. He's radio call to Ben was hysterical.

The big shocker of the episode revolved around Jack. The funeral has been a hot topic, and there are many good theories abound. Jack's misfortune in the future could support Ben and Locke's desire to keep everyone on the island? We'll find out in February!
  • Its been a shaky season, but now i think Lost can get back on course...

If i were to describe this episode in one word, it would be "Outstanding." After a season which has seen the show lose a great deal of viewers for such reasons as "not enough answers" and "not enough screentime" this episode camne along and made up for what has been a dissapointing season. The story was fantastic, picking up from where greatest hits left off, as Jack prepares to lead the survivors to the radio tower. The episode started off in a surprising way, as I thought we were going to be sat watching yet another jack flashback rather than a much more important character. The twist at the end of the episode, when we find out that we are actually watching a flashforward into Jacks future was amazing, credit to the writers for pulling off this "Gamechanger" in a brilliant manner. This episode was filled with plenty of action, mystery, twists and humour, and it really has brought the series back to its deserved status as the number one show on TV today.
  • A superb episode with a fitting mysterious and thought provoking climax.

Probably the best episode of all of the series.

I, like everybody else who watched this episode, thought that we were flashing back to Jack's past. What a twist at the end though! It wasn't a flashback to the past; at least that was what I initially thought.

When my mind started trying to process all of the possible theories, suddenly something occurred to me. If it wasn't a flashback to the past, how was Jack's dad alive? Did anybody spot that? So if it wasn't a flashback and it wasn't present day, i.e. present day as it should be, what was it? Alternative reality?
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8